What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Grammys thread? (1 Viewer)

Olivia is really good. For those bemoaning the lack of mainstream rock music nowadays, her new album, Guts, rocks pretty good at times. Yes, it's pop rock, but the songs are mostly excellent (the two singles Bad Idea Right and Get Him Back! are the only two misfires).

My daughter loves her and Taylor Swift. I actually like some of Olivia's songs and do like these two. There are better songs on the album (Ballad of a Homeschooled girl is probably the best)

New album by Taylor coming.
My daughter screamed from downstairs like we just won the lottery
Mine started texting me from her friend's house since she was expecting Reputation (taylor's version) to be announced. Then today she was excited since it is supposed to be a synth pop album and I took her to see Depeche Mode a few weeks ago.

Oh and Swift singing and dancing to Rodrigo's "Vampire" was cool

Olivia is really good. For those bemoaning the lack of mainstream rock music nowadays, her new album, Guts, rocks pretty good at times. Yes, it's pop rock, but the songs are mostly excellent (the two singles Bad Idea Right and Get Him Back! are the only two misfires).

My daughter loves her and Taylor Swift. I actually like some of Olivia's songs and do like these two. There are better songs on the album (Ballad of a Homeschooled girl is probably the best)

New album by Taylor coming.
My daughter screamed from downstairs like we just won the lottery
Mine started texting me from her friend's house since she was expecting Reputation (taylor's version) to be announced. Then today she was excited since it is supposed to be a synth pop album and I took her to see Depeche Mode a few weeks ago.

Oh and Swift singing and dancing to Rodrigo's "Vampire" was cool

My daughter is feeling the exact same way. Love her or hate her, I love that my daughter and I have bonded through music, mainly starting with Taylor, and growing from that.

I tuned in just for Tracy Chapman. So amazing. But so far it was Billie Eilish that blew me away. Miley was a hot mess (and lol at her yelling at the crowd when they weren’t into it enough).

Too bad Luke Combs had to be there. He should just realize he sucks and let Tracey go alone.
Oh this has to be a joke. Luke Combs sucks? That's hilarious. Guy has a fantastic voice.

Yeah, I started off not really wanting him to be there, but by the end of the song, he had won me over. That said, having a good voice is one thing, and creating a work of art is another, and she was the creator. He’s just a guy doing a cover (and a straight up cover at that) so I was glad to see him pay homage at the end.
Well, if you're not a Luke Combs fan (or country fan I guess), you sure would be if you read up on him. Seems like a super cool guy and is an amazing performer.

He was holding back during that performance as to not overpower her. It was just a great collaboration all around.

I tuned in just for Tracy Chapman. So amazing. But so far it was Billie Eilish that blew me away. Miley was a hot mess (and lol at her yelling at the crowd when they weren’t into it enough).

Too bad Luke Combs had to be there. He should just realize he sucks and let Tracey go alone.
Oh this has to be a joke. Luke Combs sucks? That's hilarious. Guy has a fantastic voice.

Yeah, I started off not really wanting him to be there, but by the end of the song, he had won me over. That said, having a good voice is one thing, and creating a work of art is another, and she was the creator. He’s just a guy doing a cover (and a straight up cover at that) so I was glad to see him pay homage at the end.
Well, if you're not a Luke Combs fan (or country fan I guess), you sure would be if you read up on him. Seems like a super cool guy and is an amazing performer.

He was holding back during that performance as to not overpower her. It was just a great collaboration all around.

I think we’re talking past each other (or you’re conflating my replies with whoknew’s comment). My observations have nothing to do with his talent as a performer or a singer. Or whether he is a cool dude. As for the duet, I said specifically that he won me over with his performance. I agree that they did really well together. What I am saying is that on this particular song he didn’t bring anything creatively to the composition - it’s a straight cover where he played her guitar part and sang (very well) her melody and lyrics. It just happens to be one of the best songs ever written (imo) which is all due to her creative force. That’s why she won the Grammy, and it’s why she won (not him) the CMA award for song of the year (he took home single of the year). And I was glad to see him acknowledge this by paying homage to her at the end of the performance.

Interestingly, for an artist as big as he is, I’m sort of surprised that he recorded and released the cover of her song without contacting and talking to her about it first. It was totally legal, and probably how things work I guess.

Last edited:

I think we’re talking past each other (or you’re conflating my replies with whoknew’s comment). My observations have nothing to do with his talent as a performer or a singer. Or whether he is a cool dude. As for the duet, I said specifically that he won me over with his performance. I agree that they did really well together. What I am saying is that on this particular song he didn’t bring anything creatively to the composition - it’s a straight cover where he played her guitar part and sang (very well) her melody and lyrics. It just happens to be one of the best songs ever written (imo) which is all due to her creative force. That’s why she won the Grammy, and it’s why she won (not him) the CMA award for song of the year (he took home single of the year). And I was glad to see him acknowledge this by paying homage to her at the end of the performance.

Interestingly, for an artist as big as he is, I’m sort of surprised that he recorded and released the cover of her song without contacting and talking to her about it first. It was totally legal, and probably how things work I guess.
My initial comment was directed at whoknew for saying he sucks. Take care.

Tracy Chapman story - was in Minneapolis in November last year and had to Uber for about 30 minutes. I was never a big fan of hers and I grew up when she first came out. I'm a hair metal guy so go figure. Anyhow, Uber dude had Tracy Chapman's first album on and we managed to get through a fair bit of before I got dropped off. Was almost willing to let him drive a little longer to keep listening, really blew me away. So now I have it all and have listened to it again & again. Good stuff!

My initial comment was directed at whoknew for saying he sucks. Take care.

I stand by it.

I am just here for the boygenius content.

I got my posting privileges at Steve Hoffman taken away (for their thread only) because I honestly think they suck. So suck it, boygenius!

Their stupid song about Leonard Cohen annoyed me. In general, they annoy me. The hype doesn't match the quality of the music.

In general, I was reading this thread and the one over at Steve Hoffman rather than watching. That about says it all about how I feel about the Grammys. Apparently Jay-Z was mad Beyoncé didn't get nominated for album of the year or something and used his presenter position to grumble about it.

That about sums up these industry awards. Garbage on a stick.

One interesting note, maybe cared about by only me. Michael Render, otherwise known as Killer Mike of Run The Jewels fame, won three Grammys for his solo album, Mchael. RTJ was a weird omission as a nominee in 2021, and the Grammys apparently saw fit to rectify the slight here. But in doing so for Killer Mike, El-P continues to be slighted as a white rapper in a political minefield of a category, a category that Jay-Z touched upon in presenting as possibly industry captured.

On another and maybe sadder note, Render followed up his "Atlanta sweep" by also providing the most intrigue at the 3 P.M. ceremony. He was arrested and led away in handcuffs before the main 7 P.M. ceremony for an altercation happening earlier in the day.

Oh my, Killer Mike. I've got your back. RTJ for the win!

Mojo probably got it right in his epic anthem "Don Henly Must Die!"

Turn on the TV
And what did I see?
This bloated hairy thing
Winning a Grammy
Best Rock Vocalist?
Compared to what?
But your pseudo-serious
Crafty Satanic blot
Don Henley must die!

Apparently Jay-Z was mad Beyoncé didn't get nominated for album of the year or something and used his presenter position to grumble about it.
That was just unattractive. Queen B has about 29 Grammys. Oh, woe! She is totally overlooked.

Boo hoo. What the heck are you teaching your child? Mommy needs a pity Grammy and BJ? I figured she was enough without any awards.

We're not here talking about how Lana not only got screwed, but then was awkwardly dragged on stage by Taylor to watch her accept AOTY? Yeah she gave her a shout out and I'm sure she meant well, but goodness. That was too cringy for me. Maybe I like Lana too much.

That would be like Mahomes winning the MVP and dragging Purdy up there with him after the 9ners get beat.

We're not here talking about how Lana not only got screwed, but then was awkwardly dragged on stage by Taylor to watch her accept AOTY? Yeah she gave her a shout out and I'm sure she meant well, but goodness. That was too cringy for me. Maybe I like Lana too much.

That would be like Mahomes winning the MVP and dragging Purdy up there with him after the 9ners get beat.

Wait, she pulled her up on stage? I was trying to figure out why she was there. Thought maybe she had a producer credit on the album.

Wait, she pulled her up on stage? I was trying to figure out why she was there. Thought maybe she had a producer credit on the album.
Yeah, you could tell Lana was very reluctant. Shes not the typical spot light seeking star most of these folks are. You could tell she didn't want to go. I'm sure taylor meant well, but that was too much. Lana did have a song on that album with Taylor.

Tweet

We're not here talking about how Lana not only got screwed, but then was awkwardly dragged on stage by Taylor

incredibly awkward....Swift probably had good intentions but was just odd.
Agreed. To be fair, Lana's natural expression usually screams that she'd rather be anywhere else than the place she is currently. :lol:
I’ll say it (and know I’m in the vast minority) I don’t like either version of Fast Car.
It used to bug me that main guitar lead in the song is basically lifted from Jack & Diane, but I got past that eventually. It's not a song I seek out, but I like it now.

Supposedly it was the first song that he learned to play.

Was hoping to see Noah Kahan get Best New Artist.

Hooked on his stuff.

Supposedly it was the first song that he learned to play.

No way. Had to be Smoke on the Water or Stairway!

She was featured on the album. They are actually friends, showed up together in seemingly coordinated outfits with the black and white stuff...and Swift actually spoke about her in the acceptance. It did look awkward for sure, but think the intentions were more to call out that LDR had not been given as much recognition and all that.

She was featured on the album. They are actually friends, showed up together in seemingly coordinated outfits with the black and white stuff...and Swift actually spoke about her in the acceptance. It did look awkward for sure, but think the intentions were more to call out that LDR had not been given as much recognition and all that.
Agreed. Taylor has been beating the "Lana Del Rey is awesome and deserves more kudos" drum for years now.

The Grammy's missed the boat in 2020 when they didn't give Norman F Rockwell Album of the Year.

We can all agree Trevor Noah is just not funny right?
When I used to watch Seinfeld reruns on Comedy Central, and he was still the host of the daily show, I'd get bombarded with commercials for his show. I used to wonder how this guy was considered funny at all - and I suspect the commercials would be highlighting his best jokes. :shrug:

When I used to watch Seinfeld reruns on Comedy Central, and he was still the host of the daily show, I'd get bombarded with commercials for his show. I used to wonder how this guy was considered funny at all - and I suspect the commercials would be highlighting his best jokes. :shrug:
My love for what used to be the Daily Show forced me to give him an honest try. I don't know if its him or his writers, but its just not funny. His comedy specials, his hosting...its all bad.

Was driving with my kid and a Lana del Rey song came on and she turned the volume up saying she loved this song.

It was a cover of Sublime's "Doin Time".

I don’t find him that funny (and did not find him funny during the Grammy’s), but I thought he did a good job and liked him as a host. He seemed genuinely excited to be there, and liked his positivity to the artists. It was just about a love of good music. It was like The Thumper Rule in action. 🐰

Users who are viewing this thread