What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Not so fast - Josh McDaniels backed out of the Colts job (1 Viewer)

Then why did the Colts try to hire a guy who's not ready to be a HC? Are you saying your team is dumb/inept in the front office? 
Not saying what the Colts were trying to do was right.  I think McDaniels saved the Colts from themselves.  I like Ballard as a GM, but it sounds like McDaniels sold himself pretty well to Ballard. 

Who do you want for your boss ? Jim Irsay or Robert Kraft ?

The answer is obvious. It just took McDaniels a while to realize he would rather work for a professional, winning franchise rather than leverage his future on a drug using clown of an owner and a franchise QB with a possible career threatening throwing shoulder injury that's not healing properly. 

Smart move.

This makes no sense Johnny. Look at the plethora of garbage can head coaches in the NFL.

JMD is ready for his chance, especially after being mentored by Belichick for the better part of 15 years.
I think JMD is part of the plethora of garbage. He is an OC that has Tom Brady. That's pretty much where it ends. Without Brady, most of these guys are just practice pylons masquerading as "genius" coordinators. Colts dodged a bullet. Lions got the coordinator that's actually good at his job. 

I didn't know this until just now, when McDaniels was calling plays in St. Louis after he had been fired by Denver, he was 32nd in the league in offense.  He was 17th in Denver.  Seems like he is only good when he's in NE and has Tom Brady.  Yes, McDaniels saved the Colts.

Who do you want for your boss ? Jim Irsay or Robert Kraft ?

The answer is obvious. It just took McDaniels a while to realize he would rather work for a professional, winning franchise rather than leverage his future on a drug using clown of an owner and a franchise QB with a possible career threatening throwing shoulder injury that's not healing properly. 

Smart move.
I know this.  I would want Kraft for a Wing Man, but I would want Irsay to be arranging my batchelor party.

Low rent move by McDaniels.  Staying in NE is one thing.  I think it's a good move since he might have the HC job in 1-4 years, or if he just wants to be an OC for life, NE is a pretty good place to do it.    Or if you want to stay in NE because your family is comfortable there.

But he's got to have his t's crossed and i's dotted before he accepts another job.  Backing out after the decision was made is classless.

I didn't know this until just now, when McDaniels was calling plays in St. Louis after he had been fired by Denver, he was 32nd in the league in offense.  He was 17th in Denver.  Seems like he is only good when he's in NE and has Tom Brady.  Yes, McDaniels saved the Colts.
Exactly.  If the colts had a quarterback he would have been a better fit. 

The most obvious answer to all of this is that Belichick is gone after this next season.
Don’t know if you’re being serious, but I kinda agree. Makes me wonder if the Pats can hold the ship together this year, too. Already there were whispers of some static between BB and Kraft/Brady. Then the Butler thing, the SB loss and, now, McDaniels gives up a HC gig to stay? The writing is on the wall- Bellichick is a lame-duck coach. And the way he coaches his guys, do you think he’ll be able to keep the locker room, when they know he’s already got one foot out the door?

I acknowledge, it’s the rankest of speculation, but I could see things playing out badly for them next year.

Friend of mine grew up in Canton, and knows the whole McDaniels family very well.  According to him the decision was made for 3 reasons, in order:

1A.  Kraft paid him $$$$ to stay 

1B.  McDaniels' wife and kids don't want to move.  They want to stay where they are.

3.  Luck might not recover

This guy knows the whole family, and he was pretty adamant that these are the real reasons, rank ordered, for McDaniels' decision.

Friend of mine grew up in Canton, and knows the whole McDaniels family very well.  According to him the decision was made for 3 reasons, in order:

1B.  McDaniels' wife and kids don't want to move.  They want to stay where they are.

This guy knows the whole family, and he was pretty adamant that these are the real reasons, rank ordered, for McDaniels' decision.
Can't say as I blame them... no way I would want to live in Indiana either. :lol:  

Are the whole family dooshes who back out of deals or just him?

The only reason that is new is the money. So basically he is willing to screw over the assistants that he got locked into those jobs (I don't care about the Colts) for money. 

A guy assistants will surely want to sign on with once he does get his next HC gig. 

So Josh told his family, they called your friend up and your friend got hold of you. In like half a day. Lol, sure.

So Josh told his family, they called your friend up and your friend got hold of you. In like half a day. Lol, sure.
LOL.  Can always count on one dooshy comment on this board.

I was with this guy today for work.  Made a joke about the situation, and he told me what he heard from his parents.  Who also know McDaniels' entire family very well.  Feel free to believe whatever you want.

Not saying what the Colts were trying to do was right.  I think McDaniels saved the Colts from themselves.  I like Ballard as a GM, but it sounds like McDaniels sold himself pretty well to Ballard. 
So, then Indy’s front office is terrible / dumb? 

Gotcha! 

I'm going to play devil's advocate just to do so. I don't have a dog in the fight but:

-What if McDaniels took the job and then, after the fact, learned the COLTS had not been truthful about the status of Andrew Luck?  Is it wild to think a coach might weigh a decision to take one job or the other might be based on their perception of resources they have to work with?

-What if McDaniels took that job and then, after the fact, the PATRIOTS approached him and said something that he didn't know but is extremely important, such as "Bill B. Has told us he will retire in 1 year or Bill B. just told us he has some growing health issues, etc?  This scenario would be less excusable (to me) than the first because he DID accept the job and has consequences to live with but at the same time this goes beyond football and he IS a real person with a family, etc.  there could be factors that make him think I need to stay where I am (maybe somebody in HIS family was supporting him but at the last second his wife said "can't stay married, move the kids, etc, if you do this?"

There's just a myriad of things that probably drove this decision that aren't evident right now but after seeing how the Colts handled the info re: Luck last year, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Luck's career is in serious jeopardy and McDaniels wasn't 100% informed to make the decision. 

I'm going to play devil's advocate just to do so. I don't have a dog in the fight but:

-What if McDaniels took the job and then, after the fact, learned the COLTS had not been truthful about the status of Andrew Luck?  Is it wild to think a coach might weigh a decision to take one job or the other might be based on their perception of resources they have to work with?

-What if McDaniels took that job and then, after the fact, the PATRIOTS approached him and said something that he didn't know but is extremely important, such as "Bill B. Has told us he will retire in 1 year or Bill B. just told us he has some growing health issues, etc?  This scenario would be less excusable (to me) than the first because he DID accept the job and has consequences to live with but at the same time this goes beyond football and he IS a real person with a family, etc.  there could be factors that make him think I need to stay where I am (maybe somebody in HIS family was supporting him but at the last second his wife said "can't stay married, move the kids, etc, if you do this?"

There's just a myriad of things that probably drove this decision that aren't evident right now but after seeing how the Colts handled the info re: Luck last year, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Luck's career is in serious jeopardy and McDaniels wasn't 100% informed to make the decision. 
.....what about those asst. coaches?

People keep mentioning money. Did the Pats offer more money than he would have made as Colts HC to Stay?

Well with all this talk about how terrible a head coach McDaniels is...

I think the one clear takeaway is that the Colts Front office are absolutely horrible at their jobs for offering him the position.

This likely better explains their Browns-eque status in the doldrums of the NFL. Whod'a thunk it?! 

I am not a Colts fan by any stretch of the imagination, and think their owner is a loopy drunk, but you know they won a Super Bowl 11 years ago, have been to another since and were just in the AFCCG three years ago, right?  That is Browns-esque?

.....what about those asst. coaches?
What about them? 

If the scenario IS that McDaniels didn't have all the info, it makes more sense to me why he would take the time to recruit a staff. And those guys are trying to better themselves.  Everything looks normal on that end. 

My biggest thought on the ASST. coaches is the Colts really should have contracts that say something to the effect of all offers are dependent on the actual signing and putting into place of the HC.  Just a thought.  Let's say I hire McDaniels and his staff are signed and two days later McDaniels falls ill or dies. Wouldn't it be smart to say "we are hiring all these Chevy parts on the contingent theChevy car is also purchased and arrives at the shop?"  Who wants Chevy parts and then you go buy a Nissan?  bad fit. 

I hope not, but they could have been fooled by his pitch.
I often fool my buddies dog into thinking I threw a tennis ball. I envision this is kinda like that....Colts front office is clearly  incompetent for knowingly picking such a horribly unqualified HC candidate, or dumb for being outsmarted into thinking such a flawed HC candidate was worth hiring. 

Either way they look about as sharp as a tube sock right now. :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a Colts fan by any stretch of the imagination, and think their owner is a loopy drunk, but you know they won a Super Bowl 11 years ago, have been to another since and were just in the AFCCG three years ago, right?  That is Browns-esque?
Recently? Sure! They haven’t had a winning record since that AFC game, they haven’t beat NE in nearly a decade, this year they were literally one step above the Browns as the 2nd worst team in the NFL... and frankly have effectively zero reason to hope for any improvement in the immediate future. 

So yeah.. prettty Browns-esque lately, and likely for a while. 

They have been Brown-esque with better qb play. 

Recently? Sure! They haven’t had a winning record since that AFC game, they haven’t beat NE in nearly a decade, this year they were literally one step above the Browns as the 2nd worst team in the NFL... and frankly have effectively zero reason to hope for any improvement in the immediate future. 

So yeah.. prettty Browns-esque lately, and likely for a while. 
One bad season doesn't make you Browns-esque. The Giants just went 3-13; are they Browns-esque? 

Obviously, Luck needs to get healthy for them to have a shot contending next year, which I think is unlikely (I think their shabby job of protecting Luck with a good line has possibly ruined his career), but let's see what happens before we call them the second coming of the Browns, which is like the ultimate insult. :P :lol:  

I often fool my buddies dog into thinking I threw a tennis ball. I envision this is kinda like that....Colts front office is clearly  incompetent for knowingly picking such a horribly unqualified HC candidate, or dumb for being outsmarted into thinking such a flawed HC candidate was worth hiring. 

Dude......it's coming.

Meh, 1B.  This decision is made before job hunting.BS 

3. Things you should know before agreeing to a deal.

Not really.  Not the agent's fault one of his clients is a punk, so he fixed the problem.
Pretty sure the two of them having the same agent gave Ballard more comfort in waiting out McDaniels and halting looking at any other candidates. I know it would if I was in Ballard’s shoes. I mean this is all on McDaniel’s but things have to be awkward between Ballard and his agent right now. If McDaniels had a completely different agent, Ballard would be going ballistic on him.

Of course, he also represents the Colts GM so he really has egg on his face with this one.
After the reports that was getting cold feet came out Sunday, I'm sure there were phone calls made, assurances given, etc...  He probably feels that McDaniels was not truthful with him, and so ended their relationship.  Obviously I didn't listen to the phone call or have all the details, but if the agent put his reputation on the line assuring the Colts that his client was still on board, the rumors were nothing, etc... - then this happened, he is going to be hella pissed.

Boy, he sure showed him. Besides, he'll never be hired again according to some of you...why would he need an agent? 
All I said was that the agent fixed "his" problem.  I'm sure McDaniels won't have any trouble finding another agent.

Your dooshery level is expert in this thread.

Spinning this any other way other than McDaniels is a weasel is comical.

msudaisy26 said:
:lmao: :lmao:  at every one else saying they know McDaniels will be a bad HC again. Yes, he sucked in Denver and he might stink again, but there are so many 2nd and 3rd time He's that do way better the next time. Belicheck and Carroll for example. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:  at msu thinking he’s the smartest guy in the room and then using BB and Carroll as a comparitive standard for McDaniels.  

Former Colts head coach Tony Dungy is not a fan of Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels spurned the Colts having already told the team that he’d take their head-coaching job and already told assistant coaches they’d have a job on his staff, and Dungy took to Twitter today to denounce McDaniels’ actions.

“I can tell you there is NO excuse big enough to justify this,” Dungy wrote. “It’s one thing to go back on your word to an organization. But having assistant coaches leave jobs to go with you then leave them out to dry is indefensible.”

Dungy said the fact that McDaniels hadn’t signed a contract doesn’t change the fact that McDaniels gave his word.

“You make those decisions before you say I Do. Don’t get married start a family then say I changed my mind. He didn’t sign the contract but he said I Do,” Dungy wrote. “That is common decency and integrity. You don’t do that to the families of your peers.”

Dungy also said he doesn’t blame the Patriots for keeping McDaniels, but does blame McDaniels for violating a trust within the coaching community.

“Has nothing to do with a Bob Kraft. This is all on Josh McDaniels. He’s a grown man and has to take responsibility for his decisions,” Dungy wrote. “I can tell you in the football coaching community it’s not even close to being acceptable.”

Dungy is no doubt far from alone in feeling that way. And when or if McDaniels does become a head coach again, he may have a hard time convincing assistant coaches that he’s a boss they’d want to work for.

Users who are viewing this thread