What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYJ OC Nathaniel Hackett - New Frontiers In NFL Nepotism (1 Viewer)

"Aaron Rodgers-to-the-Jets sounds like a cross between a made-for-megaclicks fairytale and a rerun of last offseason's Rodgers -to-the-Broncos fanfic. It appeared that Nathaniel Hackett would be named the Jets offensive coordinator at press time, but we should stop thinking of Hackett as Rodgers ' bosom buddy and think of him instead as a golf caddie with the good sense to smile and nod along to Rodgers sociopolitical braindumps in the name of tips."

It looks like Evero said no to the interim job.

Current odds for next Bronco coach.

Sean Payton…4-1
Dan Quinn……5-1
Jim Caldwell….6-1
Payton can pick his spot. Would he pick somewhere with such a crippling QB contract?
The Broncos don’t have the draft capital to acquire Payton.
Don't assume the Walton family can't afford Payton.
That wasn’t part of my statement.
But your statement was something to the effect that the Broncos don't have the draft capital to "acquire" Payton.

Um, I'm pretty sure they do, IF they really want him. No matter what Fans or FFer's think, the Broncos can do whatever the F they want now. Whether those moves work out, is another question.

Any non-Bronco fan is hoping this thing takes forever or falls on its face, but there's a jealousy buried underneath it all. It's fun to watch unfold.
Interesting how that worked out...

Was certainly thinking this would be the case when watching their game yesterday. Based on stuff I've been reading over last few weeks I do believe the decision to fire him had been reached awhile ago but they saw no benefit of an in-season firing/interim coach. But that performance yesterday just left them no choice.
Whoever thinks this within that org should be fired next.
It's ownership and I don't agree with you.
If it's Ownership then Denver will be a Bottom 5 team for a long time to come
Was certainly thinking this would be the case when watching their game yesterday. Based on stuff I've been reading over last few weeks I do believe the decision to fire him had been reached awhile ago but they saw no benefit of an in-season firing/interim coach. But that performance yesterday just left them no choice.
Whoever thinks this within that org should be fired next.
It's ownership and I don't agree with you.
If it's Ownership then Denver will be a Bottom 5 team for a long time to come.
Ask Miami fans what happens when ineptitude starts at the top and trickles down from ownership.

Start a thread with that proclamation. Please do it.

At a minimum, it will get you the LAM-iMoP award so why not?

Is a Football Coaching Theory major available at any universities?
It's a sincere question. Coaching football seems more like a trade than anything else and nepotism in trade, or skilled labor for much of our history, has been the norm forever. Heck, it is the path that most families were able to lift themselves out of poverty throughout human history.

Yes, nepotism has also been a barrier to other skilled individuals, but again that leads to my original question:

Where else does one learn to be a coach other than being a player or apprenticing in the trade?

Hackett absolutely got his first NFL job in Tampa because his father was on Gruden's staff. But their careers overlapped for five seasons overall and only two on the same team.

We can say that Aaron Rodgers carried Hackett for three seasons in Green Bay, and it sure didn't hurt but prior to that Hackett did manage to put together a top 5 yardage and scoring offense in Jacksonville with Blake Bortles at QB.

And if Rodgers is such a boon then shouldn't we be equally forgiving when an OC gets saddled with EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton & Thad Lewis like Hackett was in Buffalo?

Just saying that maybe we shouldn't be so quick to treat nepotism as some kind of negative.

:stirspot:

It's a sincere question. Coaching football seems more like a trade than anything else and nepotism in trade, or skilled labor for much of our history, has been the norm forever. Heck, it is the path that most families were able to lift themselves out of poverty throughout human history.

I get that you're a bit serious and got what you were getting at, actually.

I'd say this -- just because nepotism was the desired labor norm in a guild setting doesn't make it efficacious or desirable. It doesn't benefit the product necessarily, or the consumer, but is more a byproduct of an economic system designed by labor to survive, which means keeping the supply of potential labor down so that wages don't drop.

In the NFL, we're talking about production and success of the product. Almost any system designed to protect jobs and inflate wages -- and is implemented solely for that reason -- is going to be less than optimal for the product and consumer. Part of the reason the Industrial Revolution happened was due to the smaller scale of the guild economy and rising consumer needs.

I get that you're a bit serious and got what you were getting at, actually.

I'd say this -- just because nepotism was the desired labor norm in a guild setting doesn't make it efficacious or desirable. It doesn't benefit the product necessarily, or the consumer, but is more a byproduct of an economic system designed by labor to survive, which means keeping the supply of potential labor down so that wages don't drop.

In the NFL, we're talking about production and success of the product. Almost any system designed to protect jobs and inflate wages -- and is implemented solely for that reason -- is going to be less than optimal for the product and consumer. Part of the reason the Industrial Revolution happened was due to the smaller scale of the guild economy and rising consumer needs.
Agreed, but that goes to my initial question of what options are there to enter the field of coaching outside of apprenticeship? Are there trade schools for coaching? University degrees? How do you open up the system to more people?

Agreed, but that goes to my initial question of what options are there to enter the field of coaching outside of apprenticeship? Are there trade schools for coaching? University degrees? How do you open up the system to more people?

I don't know. It takes a ton of acumen and a lot of fortitude to make it in the coaching business, at least so I hear. I've always been interested in the topic so I can say that a lot of guys get their start coaching high school and local colleges for essentially free while sleeping on floors and essentially self-teaching. It's a hard gig from what I hear. Some get internships within pro organizations. Others are unpaid at the pro or collegiate level in the coaching ranks and prove themselves to the existing coach at the institution at the time.

I don't really know the circuit tremendously well. I do know Robert Saleh came from a job in finance to start apprenticing in college and later becoming coach of the Jets. Check out how Saleh did it, or his timeline. This is a guy with no nepotism to speak of.

Is a Football Coaching Theory major available at any universities?

Yes, nepotism has also been a barrier to other skilled individuals, but again that leads to my original question:

Where else does one learn to be a coach other than being a player or apprenticing in the trade?

Hackett absolutely got his first NFL job in Tampa because his father was on Gruden's staff. But their careers overlapped for five seasons overall and only two on the same team.

We can say that Aaron Rodgers carried Hackett for three seasons in Green Bay, and it sure didn't hurt but prior to that Hackett did manage to put together a top 5 yardage and scoring offense in Jacksonville with Blake Bortles at QB.

And if Rodgers is such a boon then shouldn't we be equally forgiving when an OC gets saddled with EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton & Thad Lewis like Hackett was in Buffalo?

Just saying that maybe we shouldn't be so quick to treat nepotism as some kind of negative.

:stirspot:

"I want to see a negative before I provide you with a positive"

-Tyrell
Blade Runner

-Chaka
Shark Pool

:devil:

Saleh has many fans questioning his leadership and ability to put a decent offense on the field, at least on the surface it feels like part of the reason we have watched the Jets go down the path they are on.

-MoP is one who questions Coach MM from the Miami Dolphins, haven't had a chance to launch a full thread on it but the fact is he took a 9-8 team that saw the head coach fired in the middle of an owner being investigated and subsequently punished and suspended for half a season plus lost a 1st and 3rd Rd pick...any ways this mad genius offensive guru that never really ran anything in San Francisco is hired and given the keys to the kingdom, even has Tyreek Hill dropped in his lap after he was hired. And yet...the ivy league genius propels Miami from 9-8 to...wait for it...drum roll please...9-8! What an improvement and McDaniel was not the first choice, Sean Payton was.

Miami hired Vic Fangio, also a former Denver Broncos head coach to come in and kick butt on defense. They made him the highest paid assistant in the NFL and also sent a message that if Coach Mike can't get it done, they'll find someone. You lead the Dolphins to 19-15 over 2 seasons after about 20 years, 2 decades, an entire generation of LOSING and they fired that guy. In fact I posted how I would have very little patience for any coach that took over the Dolphins and missed the Playoffs. McDaniel did manage to make the Playoffs and took a 7th Rd rookie into the 4th Q, ball at midfield, 2 minutes left and Coach Mike turns a 4th and 1 into 4th and 6 with a delay of game because his bollocks froze up and he couldn't dial up a play to save his life at the most crucial or critical of moments so I have a lot of doubts about him a s HEAD COACH. This guy has had Chubb, Hill and now Ramsey all added since he signed on as the head coach. Miami is ranked #2 overall by ESPN in terms of talent top to bottom on the roster. It's not that special to take this team and go 9-8/10-7, we had already done that 2 seasons in a row.

Stephen Ross is on record saying that wins and losses are not how they measure their head coaches, boy that's the truth.
So tell me about this Hackett guy, what was his last stint like?

Jets' Nathaniel Hackett: Sean Payton broke code with comments

This guy reeks of entrenched "codes" and other such things that go along with being a member of a fraternity rather than a type of organization that stresses truth, competence, and transparency. This guy got his job because of his father, and no amount of scrubbing will scrub how bad last year was off of peoples' minds, including mine. He's a hanger-on in the club.

This guy reeks of entrenched "codes" and other such things that go along with being a member of a fraternity rather than a type of organization that stresses truth, competence, and transparency. This guy got his job because of his father, and no amount of scrubbing will scrub how bad last year was off of peoples' minds, including mine. He's a hanger-on in the club.
You're 100% correct.

In the specific instance Hackett was discussing in his comments, he was also 100% correct.

I suspect the biggest difference we'll see this year vs. last for Hackett is if he's slow/indecisive about getting a play in, Rodgers won't wait and will just call something himself.

I suspect the biggest difference we'll see this year vs. last for Hackett is if he's slow/indecisive about getting a play in, Rodgers won't wait and will just call something himself.
This was never a problem in Green Bay and I don't think it was simply because Rodgers was calling the plays. I think Hackett just fell into the trap that a lot of young, first time head coaches do; he couldn't delegate responsibility.

That and he was objectively terrible.

Mostly the second one.

When you say he "got his job because of his father" I guess the question is which job are you talking about? He's only 43 and has been coaching football for over 20 years. Bucs, Bills, Jaguars, Packers, Broncos and now the Jets. For me, Payton's comments were low-rent, bush-league stuff but no surprise based on what we know about him. He's a childish **** and has shown his true colors many times over the years.

When you say he "got his job because of his father" I guess the question is which job are you talking about? He's only 43 and has been coaching football for over 20 years. Bucs, Bills, Jaguars, Packers, Broncos and now the Jets. For me, Payton's comments were low-rent, bush-league stuff but no surprise based on what we know about him. He's a childish **** and has shown his true colors many times over the years.
Very far from a Hackett fan, but Sean Payton and his bounties to hurt players is one of the most odious things I've seen in sports.

Would love to see Hackett and ZW hang a good number on the Broncos this weekend, but they suck.

Users who are viewing this thread