What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2008 DETROIT TIGERS Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Kudos to Polanco for his Gold Glove. He deserved it, though Mark Ellis had a nice year, too. Pudge probably doesn't deserve one, but his reputation still carries a lot of weight in the voting circles. The main one I wanted to comment on was Grady Sizemore getting a GG over our own Curtis Granderson. That's a sham. Tori Hunter didn't have his best year in the field, but I don't have an issue with him or Ichiro. Both made plenty of plays and both get some of the same consideration as Pudge for previous seasons of excellence. Ichiro is the bomb, though, but Granderson (at least in my Tiger-blinded opinion) had a superior year in the field compared to Sizemore. Too bad he didn't get the hardware.

I like Doctor Detroit's thinking on Gagne and Dotel, too. I still think Jones is a Tiger in 2008, but it would be nice to get some more help back there with Zumaya's situation.

I like how Dombrowski played the ### for tat with Boras on Kenny.. Not a day or two after Boras announced that Rogers will consider other offers, blahblahblah, news comes out of the Tigers interest in Dontrelle Willis. Of course, this isn't new. We've asked about Willis before. I just don't think anything would or could actually get done there that we as fans would be happy about. After nabbing Renteria, I'm not sure who we'd be comfortable dealing to get DW. Nice thought, but I don't see it happening. Kenny will be back, Boras just needs to do his thing and try to squeeze DD and Ilitch for another mill.

How rare is it for a player to get both a gold glove & silver slugger in the same year?

And do they have a pitching award called the bronze arm?

Has the Infante for Jacque Jones deal been confirmed yet? All I can see on espn.com and freep.com is that the deal is "close" to being done.

If it does get done, it looks like Jones will be the starting left fielder next year with Thames and Raburn also in the mix. Maybin will probably spend the year in AAA which is fine with me. Presumably, he'll take over in 2008 when Jones' contract expires.

Infante looked like an odd man out since Renteria is going to be the everyday SS and Santiago can back Renteria and Polanco up, if necessary.

Has the Infante for Jacque Jones deal been confirmed yet? All I can see on espn.com and freep.com is that the deal is "close" to being done.If it does get done, it looks like Jones will be the starting left fielder next year with Thames and Raburn also in the mix. Maybin will probably spend the year in AAA which is fine with me. Presumably, he'll take over in 2008 when Jones' contract expires. Infante looked like an odd man out since Renteria is going to be the everyday SS and Santiago can back Renteria and Polanco up, if necessary.
I just don't understand this trade at all. Its like Neifi redux.

Has the Infante for Jacque Jones deal been confirmed yet? All I can see on espn.com and freep.com is that the deal is "close" to being done.If it does get done, it looks like Jones will be the starting left fielder next year with Thames and Raburn also in the mix. Maybin will probably spend the year in AAA which is fine with me. Presumably, he'll take over in 2008 when Jones' contract expires. Infante looked like an odd man out since Renteria is going to be the everyday SS and Santiago can back Renteria and Polanco up, if necessary.
Maybin will probably be in Erie for most if not all year. Infante has no value to the team, Jones will platoon with either Thames or Rayburn in LF. It's a crap trade but it's better than having Timo in LF.

Has the Infante for Jacque Jones deal been confirmed yet? All I can see on espn.com and freep.com is that the deal is "close" to being done.

If it does get done, it looks like Jones will be the starting left fielder next year with Thames and Raburn also in the mix. Maybin will probably spend the year in AAA which is fine with me. Presumably, he'll take over in 2008 when Jones' contract expires.

Infante looked like an odd man out since Renteria is going to be the everyday SS and Santiago can back Renteria and Polanco up, if necessary.
Maybin will probably be in Erie for most if not all year. Infante has no value to the team, Jones will platoon with either Thames or Rayburn in LF. It's a crap trade but it's better than having Timo in LF.
Perez?

Also, I'm sure Rayburn's play from this summer and his flexibility (can play the infield, too) helped Dombrowski make this deal. Rayburn can help Santiago provide depth in the infield, plus he gives us an optional extra OF, too.

Jones is on the downside of his career, but he's better than what we had as a fielder and I think he might actually be helped by Comerica, more than hurt.

Perez?
:sadbanana:

Perez?
:sadbanana:
Dear gawd....he was bad even when he was supposedly OK.

Perez?
:goodposting:
Dear gawd....he was bad even when he was supposedly OK.
He actually played surprisingly well down the stretch for the Tigers and came up with some key hits. But I don't think there is one Tiger fan that wants to see him in LF for 75 to 100 games in 2008. Unless its in Toledo.

I think I saw JJ on a list of players for batting average with RISP with 2 outs for this year. I could not believe it. Living in MN I saw plenty of Jones. He seems to be a great guy that is always having fun and should fit well in the clubhouse. Not sure the Tigers need another free swinger, and I do not even want to think about Jacques eratic arm.

Todd Jones is back.
DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers today announced that they have agreed to terms with righthanded pitcher Todd Jones on a one-year contract for the 2008 season."We are very happy to have Todd Jones back with the club next season," Tigers President, Chief Executive Office and General Manager David Dombrowski said. "He is a quality veteran presence on our pitching staff and we look forward to having him back in the bullpen in 2008."Jones posted 38 saves in 63 appearances with the Tigers in 2007, marking his third consecutive season with 35-or-more saves. Jones is the Tigers' all-time saves leader with 217 saves in a Tigers uniform and he is one of just 14 pitchers in major league history to record 200-or-more saves with one team. He also became the 21st pitcher in major league history to record 300 career saves, accomplishing the feat on September 16 at Minnesota.Jones has posted a 3.93 ERA (1030.1IP/450ER) and 301 saves in 937 career appearances at the major league level.

Anyone hear a rumor about the Tigers trying to make a deal for Dontrelle Willis? The local sports guy here in Grand Rapids brought it up today. He just said the Tigers were involved in the Willis talks, didn't give any other specifics besides that. I don't even know who they would give up for him. I am sure the Marlins would ask for Maybin (who is untouchable), and maybe Andrew Miller (I would let him go in a heartbeat in order to get Willis). Will be interesting to see if anything develops on that front.

Anyone hear a rumor about the Tigers trying to make a deal for Dontrelle Willis? The local sports guy here in Grand Rapids brought it up today. He just said the Tigers were involved in the Willis talks, didn't give any other specifics besides that. I don't even know who they would give up for him. I am sure the Marlins would ask for Maybin (who is untouchable), and maybe Andrew Miller (I would let him go in a heartbeat in order to get Willis). Will be interesting to see if anything develops on that front.
Why the love for Willis. He is a below average starting pitcher. Is it because he is lefthanded?

Why the love for Willis. He is a below average starting pitcher. Is it because he is lefthanded?
2-time all star aged 25... yep he sure is below average. Oh, and point to the 5 era last year. :rolleyes:

2-time all star aged 25... yep he sure is below average. Oh, and point to the 5 era last year. :thumbup:
I shouldn't point out his 5.00 ERA last year? Or his 1.42 Whip the year before. Could be the most overrated pitcher in baseball.

my take so far:

Like the Edgar move

Jaques Jones looked decent before last year. So who knows

Cant wait to Ride Todd Rollercoaster Jones all season again

Sounds like Boras is pullin some BS with Kenny Rogers. Might have to look else where.

Dontrell willis is overrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
my take so far:

Like the Edgar move

Jaques Jones looked decent before last year. So who knows

Cant wait to Ride Todd Rollercoaster Jones all season again

Sounds like Boras is pullin some BS with Kenny Rogers. Might have to look else where.

Dontrell willis is overrated.
This is really strange because its pretty clear Kenny wants to come back, but he is trying to force the Tigers to pay him more. If he plays this game too long, DD will sign Silva or something and then the Gambler is screwed.

Tigers are officially in the 100 million dollar salary club at just under 105 million after adding Jones and Jones and they still have to add a starter. Keep in mind however they have a ton of payroll coming off the books in the next two years. I'd guess they'll try to lock up Granderson long-term after next season, and Verlander after 2009.

Tigers to look at Livan Hernandez

Link
Kinda shocked the Mets haven't signed him yet.
Inning eating pitchers like Hernandez are more valuable than their records indicate.
And with the Tiger's present bullpen they become even more so. I like Rogers a lot but he's old and starting to break down, Livan might make a decent replacement if necessary.
He'd love spacious CoPa.

DETROIT -- In an unexpected twist to the offseason saga surrounding both free-agent pitcher Kenny Rogers and agent Scott Boras, Rogers has dismissed Boras and now is representing himself in contract negotiations, multiple baseball sources confirmed Friday afternoon.Clubs were informed of the change in an e-mail sent out league-wide through Major League Baseball and its Players Association. The Tigers confirmed they were notified Friday afternoon.The sudden firing is the second move in the last three days regarding Boras and one of his clients. The Yankees and Alex Rodriguez negotiated his deal this week without Boras representing. At no point in that case, however, had Rodriguez apparently changed agents, and subsequent reports suggested Boras re-entered negotiations to work out the final details on the contract.
Wow.

Rogers just fired Boras. Don't know if that makes it more likely he will return to the Tigers or not. My guess is that he is still gone since the Tigers (and rightfully so) don't want to give him more than a one year deal.

I like the Hernandez move if they can get it done. Our bullpen was overused way too much last year and Hernandez will certainly help out the bullpen.

I was wondering why Rivera hadn't signed his deal yet. It makes sense that a team like the Tigers is offering him a 4th year and made him think about things a bit more. It will be interesting to see if the Yanks try to go to a 4th year if the Tigers have indeed made a 4 yr offer. 4 years is too long since Rivera is on the downside of his career, but we desperately need help at the end of the bullpen and I view the signing as similar to Pudge a few years ago -- you give someone a deal that is a bit too long to entice him to come, but at least you will get that player to come and give you a few years of playing at a high level before the contract ends.

Todd Jones has always said he would never be a set up guy, but I would guess that he wouldn't mind taking a back seat to Rivera. I think Jones' issue was more of taking a back seat to a youngster like Zumaya who never proved himself as a closer before.

Notes: Brookens hired as Erie managerPosted by Jason Beck on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:31:00 EDT.Tom Brookens' playing career ended in 1990, but he's rising through the Tigers farm system like a top prospect. After guiding the Class A West Michigan Whitecaps to a Midwest League title in his first year there, the former Tigers player is headed to Double-A Erie, where he was named the SeaWolves' new manager on Friday.
One of the more beloved Tigers of the 1980s. Best of luck Tommy at our most important affiliate. :lmao:

Rogers just fired Boras. Don't know if that makes it more likely he will return to the Tigers or not. My guess is that he is still gone since the Tigers (and rightfully so) don't want to give him more than a one year deal.
I think Rogers fired Boras because he wants to pitch for the Tigers.
"I would prefer not to discuss negotiations publicly," Rogers wrote Thursday. "I will say that I still hope to be in a Tiger uniform in 2008. Thanks for your understanding and patience during this process."
I think that makes it clear. If the tigers have a fair offer for him, he'll be back.
I was wondering why Rivera hadn't signed his deal yet. It makes sense that a team like the Tigers is offering him a 4th year and made him think about things a bit more. It will be interesting to see if the Yanks try to go to a 4th year if the Tigers have indeed made a 4 yr offer. 4 years is too long since Rivera is on the downside of his career, but we desperately need help at the end of the bullpen and I view the signing as similar to Pudge a few years ago -- you give someone a deal that is a bit too long to entice him to come, but at least you will get that player to come and give you a few years of playing at a high level before the contract ends.
I still don't see the Tigers doing this. 15 Million dollars a year for a closer is pretty ridiculous especially for a guy who is 38. Rivera will likely be :lmao: for the next two years but those last two might not be as good. I think there are too many FA options to consider and they could probably get an Octavio Dotel for two years or three years and half the cost. To me this comes down to Illitch. If he is really smitten with Rivera maybe he will make a move but I don't think this is initiated by Dombrowski. I wouldn't want that salary on the books in 2010 when the Tigers will go through a huge player turnover and need to ink Granderson, Verlander, and maybe Bonderman to long term deals.

Couple of different sources are saying the Tigers are talking with Octavio Dotel. Of all the guys on the market this was the one I thought would be the best fit because he can close and when healthy he has a proven track record. He also will come a lot cheaper than Cordero. A two year deal would be fine IMO telling him he has a chance to close this year if Jones faulters, and then is the projected closer in 2009. I think this might be a good scenario for both sides although I'd imagine Dotel is looking for a three year deal.

Also it is implied that the Tigers and Rogers have reached agreement on a one year deal. They will likely wait until after the Rule 5 Draft next week to make the deal official due to roster maneuvering. Basically this allows the Tigers to protect one additional player in the rule 5 draft and you will notice a steady increase in transactions league-wide once the draft is completed.

Since the ChiSox released him, I'd like to see the Tigers go after Podsednik. He's always been a Tiger killer. He can play left field. He would add some speed to a lineup that is badly in need of it.

However, after the Jacque Jones deal, LF may no longer be a position of interest for Dombrowski. Also not sure what he would be looking for (years, $ per year).

Since the ChiSox released him, I'd like to see the Tigers go after Podsednik. He's always been a Tiger killer. He can play left field. He would add some speed to a lineup that is badly in need of it.However, after the Jacque Jones deal, LF may no longer be a position of interest for Dombrowski. Also not sure what he would be looking for (years, $ per year).
:thumbup:

Since the ChiSox released him, I'd like to see the Tigers go after Podsednik. He's always been a Tiger killer. He can play left field. He would add some speed to a lineup that is badly in need of it.However, after the Jacque Jones deal, LF may no longer be a position of interest for Dombrowski. Also not sure what he would be looking for (years, $ per year).
Podsednik is AWFUL. The Tigers most certainly don't need him.I'd be surprised if any team signs him. Well I wouldn't, because there's a lot of idiot GMs out there, but he most certainly shouldn't get another MLB job.

:lol:
Please explain...I don't get this one.ETA: By the way, if I'm as dumb as I think I am and this just means "Welcome to the topic/forum", please feel free to berade me with insults and tomatoes. Thanks.

Bob Henry said:
This isn't really news, per se, but it's encouraging none the less...

Gushing reports on Porcello

Even if it's a fluff piece, as Tigers fans, we all hope Porcello is the real deal and more Josh Beckett than Ryan Anderson.
I used to see him around town at some of the local bars. What a waste of talent. All of his physical talent aside, he just never "got it". The mental side of sports (especially in a game of failures like baseball) is way too underestimated by most. That's why I've always thought of the "dumb jock" thing as somewhat of an oxymoron.

:popcorn:
Please explain...I don't get this one.ETA: By the way, if I'm as dumb as I think I am and this just means "Welcome to the topic/forum", please feel free to berade me with insults and tomatoes. Thanks.
Yeah it means welcome, that's all. I agree with Whoknew about Podsednick though. He belongs on the 2003 Tigers, not the 2008 Tigers.

Bob Henry said:
This isn't really news, per se, but it's encouraging none the less...

Gushing reports on Porcello

Even if it's a fluff piece, as Tigers fans, we all hope Porcello is the real deal and more Josh Beckett than Ryan Anderson.
I used to see him around town at some of the local bars. What a waste of talent. All of his physical talent aside, he just never "got it". The mental side of sports (especially in a game of failures like baseball) is way too underestimated by most. That's why I've always thought of the "dumb jock" thing as somewhat of an oxymoron.
Smarts are important, it's how a guy like Kenny Rogers can get more big outs than Jeremy Bonderman, who has much more physical talent at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread