What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2008 DETROIT TIGERS Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Tigers take the lead, 2-1 in the 6th. I can already see the bullpen blowing the late inning lead -- would be a fitting send off to the end of the season.

ESPN is reporting that the Tigers have already decided not to pick up Renteria's option for 2009. Whether they will sign him for less and bring him back, who knows.

I was warned about this catcher from a friend of mine who went to the entire Cleveland series, apparently passed balls are a common occurrence. I'd really like to know what they have planned for us behind the dish next year...

I was warned about this catcher from a friend of mine who went to the entire Cleveland series, apparently passed balls are a common occurrence. I'd really like to know what they have planned for us behind the dish next year...
DD said that they aren't sure yet - but Dusty Ryan is definitely one of the candidates. The pb situation isn't fatal - that is definitely something that he can improve upon.

Walk, steal, wp, wp, walk, wp, out, intentional walk, 4 pitch walk to grumpy old man, grand slam. :blackdot:

Gary Glover should have been pulled and immediately relieved of his uniform and this entire bullpen needs to go with the exception of Rodney and Lopez.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God I didn't have through the roof expectations or said anywhere they were going to win the AL or the World Series or something. I thought they'd at least be in a pennant race, what a disaster.

Inge

On to next year!
Officially clinched last place with the loss! Very frustrating -- not only b/c the team played so poorly but the Central was there for the taking if they won 90 games like we were all saying would get them in the playoffs at the start of the season.Looks like Garcia wasn't ready to pitch in '08 like Ozzie said. Pitched pretty well though until his shoulder gave out. I am thinking they should hold ST in a cold weather climate so we can avoid the whole "the Latin American players can't hit well in April b/c they are getting used to the cold Michigan weather" excuse next year after they start the regular season.Should be interesting to see what they do to overhaul the roster and cut payroll. Hopefully the lineup stays intact and DD works on overhauling the bullpen.

Inge
Inge will be the every day 3rd baseman & Carlos will be the left fielder, at least that's the story for now.
I actually like this. I am sure they wanted to do this during the season but didn't want to throw Guillen into LF in the middle of the season (although I think he may have played a game or two in LF during the middle of the season). They can give him some time to learn the position in ST instead. I know this is an obvious statement but they really need to improve their defense -- I think only Texas had a worse defense (either based on fielding percentage/total number of errors -- I can't remember) in the AL. Putting Inge at 3B will definitely help that and I really like how Cabrera picked up playing 1B during the season. I think Vance Wilson is done, right? He was in the dugout during the final series but I thought his shoulder was so messed up that it is unlikely he will play again. If that's the case, then who knows who will be our catcher in 2009. That is the biggest hole in our farm system. Alex Avila was pretty good in West Michigan this year but he is still 3-4 years away. It will be interesting to see who plays SS next year. Santiago is not an everyday SS but maybe he and Hollimon can platoon. I still wouldn't be surprised if Renteria is brought back at a bargain price. I really don't see the Tigers being buyers in the FA market to get a new SS but who knows.

I am thinking they should hold ST in a cold weather climate so we can avoid the whole "the Latin American players can't hit well in April b/c they are getting used to the cold Michigan weather" excuse next year after they start the regular season.
And do what? Play against themselves?

Capella said:
skillz said:
I am thinking they should hold ST in a cold weather climate so we can avoid the whole "the Latin American players can't hit well in April b/c they are getting used to the cold Michigan weather" excuse next year after they start the regular season.
And do what? Play against themselves?
I wasn't serious; just joking. I am just anticipating another possible slow hitting April next year where they make the same excuse about the cold weather affecting the Latin American players again.

DD has said that the team is open about signing Renteria for less money but that "they must improve at SS." He only wants a short term fix for the position as he views Iorg as a becoming a "superstar real soon". DD also said that he didn't think they would be in the market to sign Rodriguez as their closer, so maybe Fuentes is a guy they will be targetting instead. DD did say that Rodney is the best internal candidate for closer if they don't get someone else, not Zumaya. He is also going to take a look at Dusty Ryan as the catcher next year. I'll post the article when I get a moment.

Renteria's contract will be bought out

by Steve Kornacki

Monday September 29, 2008, 1:56 PM

CHICAGO -- Tigers general manager and president Dave Dombrowski discussed the disappointments of finishing in last place with a $138 million payroll prior to today's game here, and revealed some decisions he's made and scenarios he is considering for 2009:

• Detroit will buy out the $12 million contract shortstop Edgar Renteria has for next season for $3 million, but could bring him back for less money.

"We have advised him that we are not going to pick up his option," Dombrowski said, "but we are not going to close the door. We have to get better at shortstop."

• Ramon Santiago could end up handling the shortstop position with a "mix-and-match" approach. He does not want to get a "long-term" shortstop because he is so high on Cale Iorg, 23, whom they drafted out of the University of Alabama in 2007.

"Cale Iorg is going to be a superstar," Dombrowski said, "and real soon."

• Dusty Ryan, who has had an impressive September, is being considered as the primary catcher.

"It might be Dusty Ryan," Dombrowski said. "We've got to bring some young guys in here."

• Obtaining a closer appears to be one change almost certain to come from a player not in the organization, though he is not totally ruling out Fernando Rodney.

"Fernando is the leading candidate with the team we have," said Dombrowski, adding that he can't count on the injured Joel Zumaya at this point. "But I'd really like to find someone else to do that."

The mid-season trade of catcher Ivan Rodriguez for Kyle Farnsworth did not end up being a solution.

"The move of Kyle Farnsworth did not work out for us," Dombrowski said. "There's no question our bullpen has cost us a tremendous amount. We have to explore ways to make it better."

Though Francisco Rodriguez, who this season set the major league saves record with 62 for the Los Angeles Angels, doesn't appear to be a possibility.

"Which closer are you going to get?" Dombrowski asked. "I don't think we'll be involved in K-Rod."

A more likely free agent candidate would be somebody like Colorado Rockies closer Brian Fuentes. He was 30-for-34 in save opportunities with a 2.73 ERA and might welcome working at pitcher-friendly Comerica Park rather than hitter-happy Coors Field. Fuentes, a 33-year-old southpaw, is 115-for-139 in career save situations.

Dombrowski brought in Renteria, left fielder Jacque Jones and Dontrelle Willis this season, and none of those three moves worked out well. But he also traded for American League home run champion Miguel Cabrera.

"It's been a bad year for me...I thought we could compete to win a championship," he said. "I'm embarrassed that you have a very large payroll and you don't win."

Leroy Hoard said:
Inge
Inge will be the every day 3rd baseman & Carlos will be the left fielder, at least that's the story for now.
Inge should not be the everyday anything..The guy can not hit good enough to be a starter at any position.

hary said:
The Detroit Tigers are a professional baseball team based in Detroit, Michigan, USA. The Tigers are a member of the Central Division of Major League Baseball's American League. From 2000 to the present, the Tigers have played in Comerica Park.________________________________________________________________________________
This guy knows stuff.

Leroy Hoard said:
Inge
Inge should not be the everyday anything..The guy can not hit good enough to be a starter at any position.
His glove work at 3B makes up for the lack of a bat imho, at least on this team. If there's one thing this team needs is better defense, just look at Tampa 2007 vs. 2008 to see how great of a difference a quality defense means...and this pitching staff needs all the help behind them they can get.

I am sure many of you may have already read Albom's article on Leyland's status but I am going to post it anyway for those who have not. Looks like DD wants Leyland to put up or shut up next year, which is good. Some interesting comments from Leyland on the firing of Hernandez and Jones, including a shot at Verlander.

Leyland wants more time, but he'll have to earn it

By MITCH ALBOM • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • September 30, 2008

Jim Leyland wanted a vote of confidence. He didn’t get it. He had a talk with his boss, Dave Dombrowski, but when it was done, Leyland had the same one-year left on his contract that he had when it started. After Monday’s loss in rainy Chicago, cementing a last-place, 74-88 finish, Leyland returned to Detroit, packed up and drove home to Pittsburgh.

As the highway rolled past, he thought about what went wrong this year. And Tuesday afternoon, when we spoke for a radio interview, he revealed, for the first time, that his Tigers’ long-term future was up in the air.

“I have not been extended, and I’m not gonna be extended,” Leyland said. “Dave and I have had a conversation. There was some sense of an offer that I did not accept. ...

“I want to manage the Tigers. I have every intention of managing the Tigers. I’m disappointed that I did not get an extension but I understand — well, maybe I don’t understand.”

I don’t understand, either. Unless Dombrowski and Mike Ilitch want to send a message to Leyland that it’s win or leave. And maybe it is. On paper, they gave him the best team since he has been here. And it played worse than the previous two.

Still, how much of that was Leyland’s fault?

“I think we had a great year, I think we had a good year and then we had one disastrous year. … I’ll take my share of the blame for it. ... But you can put several people up on a dart board and if you threw a dart, you’d probably hit the right guy. ... We were all guilty.”

A do-or-die season in ’09

Leyland pulled no punches — but it was clear he was stung by the club’s refusal to extend him.

“Our organization failed this year. … We were bad and we were unfortunate and we absolutely made no breaks and we caught no breaks. …

“If you’re saying do I have any defense for this year, no, I don’t. But the overall picture, I think, it’s pretty fair on my part. But I’m a big boy. I think Dave has tough decisions to make. For whatever reason he chose to go this direction and I respect that. …

“I think if I do a good job next year, I’ll be extended. If I don’t, I’ll be fired.

“If I’d been on the last year of my contract this year, I’d have been fired instead of the coaches, because those guys were scapegoats for people not doing their jobs. …

“I’m not gonna lie to anybody or beat around the bush. Chuck Hernandez and Jeff Jones basically were fired because the pitching was terrible. And people have to be accountable for this. I read one comment where Justin Verlander said, ‘Well, I was probably part of the reason.’ No, not probably. You were one of the reasons.

“And I’m not picking on Justin Verlander, because he’s a horse. … But it’s not ‘probably.’ Let's all face up to the music here. We didn’t do the job, including me. At the head of the class. Did not do the job. Simple. There’s no ifs, buts and all that kind of stuff. I can’t stand that kind of stuff.”

Ready with the pen

Without an extension, Leyland could be a lame-duck manager. And hiring a quality pitching coach might be tough if the boss could be gone in a year.

Still, Leyland clearly holds out hope.

“I don’t need power. I don’t want to get paid when I’m not working. … I don’t want an option. I don’t want a buyout. I want a contact and I will try and earn another contract next year. If I do, fine, and if I don’t, they can make another selection. That’s just the way it is. ...”

I asked if he would sign mid-season — or insist in exploring the market after it was done.

“I would extend tomorrow. I would extend in June. I would extend in July. I would extend in August. I want to manage the Tigers. … And I think I deserve to manage the Tigers. But … I don’t want to be anywhere where I’m not wanted.”

The Tigers would make a mistake letting him go. Think about the managers before him. This was a nutty season of injuries, underachievement, position switching and scrambled lineups. But Leyland voluntarily took more heat than his players did. I’d rather see him here long-term than some of them.

I asked if Tuesday was the longest drive home he’d had in a while. He said a guy at a Hardees at a highway stop did ask him for an autograph.

“So everything’s not for naught, I guess.”

He managed a laugh. Here’s hoping he gets to manage a lot more than that.

More from Leyland:

JIM LEYLAND SPEAKS - PART ONE

Leyland: 'The two major culprits were the pitching and the defense'

Transcribed by Martin Dobek • October 1, 2008

Tigers Manager Jim Leyland spoke with the Free Press' Mitch Albom on Albom's radio show on WJR-AM (760) Tuesday afternoon. Here is part one of the transcript.

Looking back on this season, where does this rank in terms of frustration on what a season was going to be to how it ended?

"I don’t think frustration would be the word but disappointment I think I had, from that standpoint. It was a huge, huge disappointment and I guess that pretty sums it up for me. "

If you had a chance to put a finger on the season and say if this hadn’t happened and this hadn’t happened maybe you wouldn’t be in this situation ...

"I think you got to be careful because when you’re speaking to the public that last thing you want to do is come off like there’s some excuses. I was thinking about it coming home today, and you know its really pretty simple, really. Did you expect Dolsi to be there? Did you expect Fossum to be there? Did you expect Glover to be there? Did you expect Joyce to be there, Larish to be there, Holliman to be there, Ryan to be there? When you think about it you didn’t really expect any of those guys to be there and they were all there, and it certainly was not their fault. I’m certainly not blaming the season on those guys - that’s the last place the blame should be put. We just had one of those weird, weird years, where anything that went wrong, and everything that went wrong possible went wrong and that pretty much sums it up. "

On if the bullpen was questionable from the start

"I think so. I think it even started in spring training. I think it was chaotic in spring training. You know there was position moves and there was (Brandon) Inge floating around, and we just never got in sync. I think there is a lot of different reasons that happened. Even though we didn’t hit like people thought, I never bought into 1,000 runs and all that, but we hit good enough over the course of the year. In reality, if you look at 2006, we won I can’t tell how many games - a tremendous amount of games - where we scored three runs or less and won the game. If I was looking at the two major culprits and without pointing fingers and necessarily individuals, the two major culprits were the pitching and the defense there’s no question about that, it’s a no brainer for me. We didn’t catch the ball very good, we had mediocre pitching with a mediocre defense and that’s a brutal combination, and that’s basically what happened to us in my opinion. "

On if every body was waiting for the next guy on the team to get it started

"I think everybody kind of gave us a building excuse that you know the weather was cold and wait till the weather warms up, so that was kind of a cushion for us and thought that was wrong, I didn’t think that was right at all. I don’t think that we handled the expectations really well and that’s the part that eats at me the most, you know, because I really tried to play on the positive of that, you know, the fact that having huge expectations is a good thing because that means that you have a good club. But for whatever reason, we didn’t handle that very well, and I’ll never figure that out because I tried to press upon them that we got ourselves in a situation now, where with a Boston, Atlanta, New York, I mean the expectations are there for those teams every year because every one talks about those teams all the time and they’re always there. So, I said this was a good thing and for whatever reason the players didn’t really feed off that. I think they went into a little bit of a shell, almost a little bit of embarrassment, and really didn’t know how to handle it. That’s the one thing I look back on and say could I’ve done something different."

Leyland Interview Part 2 -- Most of it was already covered in Albom's column but I will post the transcript anyway:

Tigers Manager Jim Leyland spoke with the Free Press' Mitch Albom on Albom's radio show on WJR-AM (760) on Tuesday. Here is part two of the transcript.

On where your contract extension stands

"I have not been extended and I’m not going to be extended. Dave and I have had a conversation; there was some sense of an offer that I did not accept. I am not afraid of anything; I want to manage the Tigers. I have every intention of managing the Tigers. I’m disappointed that I didn’t get an extension but I understand. But, maybe I don’t understand, but I can’t live with that - I’m not afraid of that. I’m certainly not somebody who is going sit around and worry about that. I made it perfectly clear that I wanted to manage the Tigers. I think we had a great year — I think a good year — and then we had one disastrous year and I think overall we actually have done pretty well with the exception of this disastrous year and certainly I will take my share of the blame for that. I think if you put us all on the dartboard, you know, you can put several people on a dart board and if you threw a dart you would probably hit the right guy with the dart because we were all guilty."

Why they didn’t want to extend your contract?

"Well, I don’t think it will be correct to discuss what Dave and I talked about. I’m sure Dave knows that I’m very disappointed, which I am. I make no bones about that because I want to manage this team. If you’re saying if I have any defense for this year, no I don’t, but I think the overall picture I think it’s pretty fair on my part. But I’m a big boy and I think Dave has tough decisions to make and for whatever reason he chose to go this direction and I respect that. I’m not afraid of anything. I think if I do a good job next year I think I’ll be extended. If I don’t I’ll be fired. If I would have been on the last year of my contract this year I would have been fired instead of the coaches because those guys were the scapegoats for people not doing their jobs, it’s that simple. There is no secret to this stuff. I’m not going to lie to anybody or beat around the bush. Chuck Hernandez and Jeff Jones were basically fired because the pitching was terrible. People have to be held accountable for this. I read one comment where Verlander said something, well I was probably part of the reasons — no, not probably you were one of the reasons. And I’m not picking on Justin Verlander because he is a horse, I think that he is a potential Cy Young winner, I love him. You know it’s not probably, lets all face up to the music here. We didn’t do the job, including me, at the head of the class. There’s no ifs, buts and all that kind of stuff. I can’t stand all that kind of stuff and that’s a fact. "

Does this put you in a tough position to manage the club next year by not knowing your future?

"I don’t need power and I don’t want to get paid when I’m not working by somebody. I don’t want anybody’s money. I’ve never taken anybody’s money. I don’t want an option, I don’t want a buyout. I want to manage the Detroit Tigers. I want a contract and I will try and earn another contract next year. If I do fine, if I don’t then they can make another selection. That is just the way it is. I don’t worry about power. I’m not going to change anything. I’m going to come in and I’m going to work hard. I’m going to try and get the players in the right position, which I don’t think we did this year. We just couldn’t help it the way things worked out but it’s not going to change anything. I’m not going to change how hard I work, how much fun I’m having. I feel great. I got a lot of energy. I think I’m the manager for this team and if they don’t I’m the manger for this team well obviously that’s their business.

If they offered you an extension in the middle of the year next year...

"I would extend tomorrow — I would extend in June — I would extend in July — I would extend in August — I want to manage the Tigers. I can’t make it anymore simple than that to everybody and I think I deserve to manage the Tigers, but if you’re not wanted, you’re not wanted. I don’t want to be anywhere I’m not wanted."

JIM LEYLAND SPEAKS - PART THREE

Leyland: 'Maybe naming him the opening day pitcher was a mistake'

Transcribed by Martin Dobek • October 1, 2008

Tigers Manager Jim Leyland spoke with the Free Press' Mitch Albom on Albom's radio show on WJR-AM (760) on Tuesday. Here is part three of the transcript.

If you could have done anything different with such a good team on paper this year ...

"I don’t know. I think about it but I think that I was very positive about it and I was sincere about it. So, I guess I don’t think I could of. I think if you can’t play on the fact that everybody thinks we’re good, and we walk on the field and we have a heck of club, I don’t really know if I could handle it any different or not. "

Do you need a combination of star players and hungry young players?

"I don’t think that we really tried to do that. I think we made a great trade. I would have made that trade with Florida, obviously for Miguel Cabrera by himself. I just think that we got a 24 year-old player coming back who is a superstar. I don’t think the payroll necessarily had anything to do with it. I think that possibly involving the payroll in the sense that when you make big money —you’re supposed to play big, you’re supposed to manage big, you’re supposed coach big, and you’re supposed to play big. We didn’t do that. Some guys I really believe can’t handle making the money. I don’t think they can live up to expectations of it. It all sounds good when the agent is talking and they want the contract and they get the money, but truthfully, I believe that there are some players that can’t handle that. They almost go into a little bit of a shell, you know - like 'Oh my god, so much is expected of me.' They’re better players probably when they’re not making quite as much."

Do the Tigers have anyone like that?

"I think so. "

Do changes need to be made to create the right chemistry in the locker room?

"No, I would not call it bad chemistry. I thought we had very good chemistry, but to say we didn’t have some issues, I think would be lying. I think what the issues were, were very simple. I think that the position players under their breath were questioning the pitching. I think that the pitchers under their breath were questioning the defense. It never escalated to anything that really was an issue. It was in fact, a fact. There were times that we did pitch decent, we didn’t catch the ball. There we a lot of times that we didn’t very well and guys were standing around while we were walking people time after time. So, that’s kind of a common thing. That’s really not that uncommon. The chemistry, quote, unquote, I think on our ballclub is overall tremendous. You know we do have quite a few more veteran players and you know I think sometimes when veteran players see, in some cases, some of the people we were pitching that were prospects but not ready — I think it bothered them. I think sub-consciously it takes something out of you. Should it? No. But does it? Yes it does."

On why Verlander has bad records against Central division teams

"I think he gets hyped up a little bit. I’m not sure he’d admit that but I think he does get hyped up a little bit. I think the one thing and this is going to sound crazy, but the one thing that I might do different, looking back at it now and I’m not sure it would have made a difference — but the one thing I might have done different — I would have not started him opening day. I definitely think that he felt he had to be the horse. When Bonderman went down he felt he had to be an even bigger horse. I just don’t he think he was ready for that yet and in defense of him, he’s not supposed to be ready that yet. I mean he’s still a young kid, he’s a young pitcher and maybe I put a little undo pressure on him by naming him opening day and people talking about, well, he’ll have to step it up now. I mean this guy is a tremendous young pitcher and I think he’ll get back to the norm. But that’s the one thing I wondered, you know, driving home today. Maybe naming him the opening day pitcher was a mistake. Is that an excuse for our terrible season? No, but I’m just saying I get pretty deep in this stuff on what I could have done or couldn’t have done and I’m just wondering and I don’t even know if this is a valid point I’m just bringing it up. "

Did you talk to Verlander during the course of year that he doesn't need to be everything to everybody here?

"I did talk to him about that and I also don’t think he handled things very well either. He’s never been an excuse maker but I think he came off that way at times and I talked to him about that. I said look I know you’re not an excuse maker, Chuck Hernandez knows you’re not an excuse maker, but sometimes your comments would come off to the average person reading the paper that you’re making excuses. So, you just try to help players mature and grow and that’s basically what we are trying to do with him. He also hopefully has come down to earth a little bit. I mean a lot of wonderfully things happened to this guy in a short period of time. He’s never had any adversity and hopefully this has been a good lesson for him. If he learns from it I think it will great. I think Justin Verlander is going to be a great pitcher. I think he was basically was just like the team. I think he got in a rut just like the team did and you know we came out of it temporary for there, for one stretch to where we got within about five games or so but we just couldn’t get ourselves all the way out of it. I think it just piled up on us and then without making any excuses, toward the end, no (Carlos) Guillen, no (Todd) Jones, no (Joel) Zumaya, I mean I’m not looking to make any excuses but that’s just the way it was."

Thought I would add an article about DD for good measure....

GM DAVE DOMBROWSKI SPEAKS

Dombrowski vows to fix pitching, get closer; Renteria likely done as a Tiger

BY JOHN LOWE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • September 30, 2008

Next year's Tigers probably won't include shortstop Edgar Renteria or record-setting relief pitcher Francisco Rodriguez. But the Tigers intend to look outside the organization for a successor to Todd Jones as the ninth-inning closer.

Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said that -- and more -- in a wide-ranging, season-ending session with Tigers beat writers before Monday's season-ending makeup game in Chicago.

Before he took questions and addressed issues, Dombrowski -- calling himself "my own harshest critic" -- summed up his performance in assembling the club.

"It's been a disappointing year for all of us," he said. "It's been a bad year. It's been a bad year for me.

"As president and general manager, I don't want to say that (bad year) about the business end of it. We set attendance records. They (the business side) have done a fantastic job.

"As general manager... there are a lot of things that I anticipated with this ballclub that I missed on, that I thought would be much better. I thought we had a club that would compete to win a championship, and it's apparent we were significantly off on that, which is my responsibility.

"I'm embarrassed that you have a very large payroll and you don't do well.

"Now what we need to do is go out and try to fix it. We have already started to do it. I think we have the nucleus to have a good club for next year, but we've got our work ahead of us."

Dombrowski answered questions for the next 45 minutes.

• On the biggest thing the Tigers lack that they need for next season:

"We need to improve our pitching," Dombrowski said. "For sure, we have to improve our bullpen. And we have to improve our defense.

"At shortstop, Edgar didn't have a good year at shortstop. He has done much better from an offensive perspective.

"We have advised him that we are not going to pick up his option ($12 million) for next year. We haven't closed the door (on signing him at a lower price as a free agent). But we're going to explore options. We need to get better defensively at shortstop.

"I thought we would overcome our defensive shortcomings and some of our pitching shortcomings with more offense But I thought we'd score more runs."

The Tigers would have to pay Renteria $3 million to buy out his contract.

• On signing free agents this off-season:

"At this point, I would be surprised if we're real big participants in free agency. We have a solid core of players. If you look at our lineup, the first six guys are stars. They're stars: Granderson, Polanco, Cabrera, Ordoñez, Guillen -- when he's healthy -- and Sheffield, who I think can bounce back and have a better year next year. I think we underestimated his shoulder being hurt and how it affected him early in the season. There is no question he is swinging the bat better.

"So we need guys that can fit in and contribute and maybe do the little things a little bit."

• Who will take the catcher's job?

"It might be Dusty Ryan," Dombrowski said. "We've got to break some young guys in. ... You don't have to put All-Stars at every position." He also said the Tigers could platoon at catcher, short or both.

• On Dontrelle Willis:

"Of course, we didn't predict this. I don't know how anybody could predict this situation. And I can't blame anybody. I don't really know what happened there.

"I know he scuffled a little bit more last year. ... He still pitched 200 innings (last season). We thought if he pitched liked that he'd be a fifth starter for us with a club that scored a lot of runs and he'd merit the dollars he received.

"I still hope he'll bounce back and be a solid big-league pitcher. He still has the arm to do it. He needs to throw the ball over the plate."

• Joel Zumaya, whose season began late after shoulder surgery and ended early because of more trouble with the shoulder:

"Right now, everybody tells me Zumaya is going to be healthy (for '09). But I can't count on him for a significant role at this point. But if he does come back and is healthy, he makes it (the bullpen) better."

• How much of a candidate for the closer's role is Fernando Rodney?

"He is our leading candidate if we open with the team we have right now. But I'm looking to hopefully find someone else that can do that role for us. Is he capable? Yes, he can do it at times. But he has to throw more strikes on a consistent basis."

• On spending this off-season:

"We're going to have to make some decisions where we're going to put dollars. You're going to have to juggle. We've spent a lot of dollars already for next year. We're going to have a very high payroll."

A few moments later, he alluded to Francisco Rodriguez, the pending free agent who this season for the Angels recorded 62 saves, the all-time big-league record.

"I don't think we're going to be involved in K-Rod," Dombrowski said. "Those things will outstrip us at this point."

• On the Tigers' comparative lack of a left-handed power in the middle of the lineup and speed:

"Carlos Guillen (switch-hitter) is a good left-handed hitter. He just didn't have a good year. Granderson is a left-handed hitter. Ideally, you'd like to get another one in there. ... For the first time (since I've been here), a lot of our younger players at the minor league level that are getting close to breaking in are left-handed hitters: Matt Joyce, Jeff Larish, Clete Thomas and Michael Hollimon, who's a switch-hitter. They're also young, and they also run a little better. They're not base stealers, but they're a little more athletic. ...

"Team speed -- we're not a real speedy team. But a lot of American League clubs are not speedy teams. We become more athletic with Inge at third and Guillen in left. Neither is a base stealer, but they can score from first on a double."

Alluding to the widely held theory that a team’s bullpen tends not to perform the same two years in a row:

“Bullpen pitchers befuddle almost all of us because one year they’re very good and the next year they’re not quite as good. It’s a challenging task (to put a bullpen together), but it’s also one that I don’t think is impossible.”

How he sees the ninth-inning closer’s job for next year:

“I don’t know that right now. I can’t count on Zumaya to be it. It’s something we’re going to look at and explore with other options.”

Kenny Rogers, whose contract is up:

“The first step is Kenny has to decide what he wants to do. He’ll call me and we’ll have a chance to look at some of our situation.”

Final article today, I promise. Just thought this was interesting article in the Free Press re the next pitching coach. As the Albom article indicates, Leyland may have a problem getting any of the pitching coaches that are currently employed to come to Detroit since he is now a lame duck manager.

Five possible candidates to be the Tigers' next pitching coach

September 29, 2008

Brad Arnsberg

Blue Jays pitching coach

He has a strong rapport with pitchers and the AL's best ERA. His contract ends after this season, but he recently told the Toronto Star he is "99%" sure that he will return on a two-year deal.

Mark Wiley

Marlins pitching coach

He had success with the Indians in the 1990s. Perhaps more important, Wiley coached Dontrelle Willis in 2005, his best season.

Leo Mazzone

Ex-Braves, ex-O's pitching coach

He was the pitching coach during the Atlanta Braves' run of 14 National League East titles. His tenure in Baltimore was less remarkable.

Rick Peterson

Ex-A's, ex-Mets pitching coach

His staffs have carried their teams to the postseason in recent years. The Mets fired him along with manager Willie Randolph this year.

Curt Young

A's pitching coach

A Saginaw native, he pitched at Central Michigan and had a long A's career. He's worked well with a young staff; the A's will want to keep him.

I am sure many of you may have already read Albom's article on Leyland's status but I am going to post it anyway for those who have not. Looks like DD wants Leyland to put up or shut up next year, which is good. Some interesting comments from Leyland on the firing of Hernandez and Jones, including a shot at Verlander.Leyland wants more time, but he'll have to earn itBy MITCH ALBOM • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • September 30, 2008Jim Leyland wanted a vote of confidence. He didn’t get it. He had a talk with his boss, Dave Dombrowski, but when it was done, Leyland had the same one-year left on his contract that he had when it started. After Monday’s loss in rainy Chicago, cementing a last-place, 74-88 finish, Leyland returned to Detroit, packed up and drove home to Pittsburgh.As the highway rolled past, he thought about what went wrong this year. And Tuesday afternoon, when we spoke for a radio interview, he revealed, for the first time, that his Tigers’ long-term future was up in the air.“I have not been extended, and I’m not gonna be extended,” Leyland said. “Dave and I have had a conversation. There was some sense of an offer that I did not accept. ...“I want to manage the Tigers. I have every intention of managing the Tigers. I’m disappointed that I did not get an extension but I understand — well, maybe I don’t understand.”I don’t understand, either. Unless Dombrowski and Mike Ilitch want to send a message to Leyland that it’s win or leave. And maybe it is. On paper, they gave him the best team since he has been here. And it played worse than the previous two.Still, how much of that was Leyland’s fault?“I think we had a great year, I think we had a good year and then we had one disastrous year. … I’ll take my share of the blame for it. ... But you can put several people up on a dart board and if you threw a dart, you’d probably hit the right guy. ... We were all guilty.”A do-or-die season in ’09Leyland pulled no punches — but it was clear he was stung by the club’s refusal to extend him.“Our organization failed this year. … We were bad and we were unfortunate and we absolutely made no breaks and we caught no breaks. …“If you’re saying do I have any defense for this year, no, I don’t. But the overall picture, I think, it’s pretty fair on my part. But I’m a big boy. I think Dave has tough decisions to make. For whatever reason he chose to go this direction and I respect that. … “I think if I do a good job next year, I’ll be extended. If I don’t, I’ll be fired. “If I’d been on the last year of my contract this year, I’d have been fired instead of the coaches, because those guys were scapegoats for people not doing their jobs. …“I’m not gonna lie to anybody or beat around the bush. Chuck Hernandez and Jeff Jones basically were fired because the pitching was terrible. And people have to be accountable for this. I read one comment where Justin Verlander said, ‘Well, I was probably part of the reason.’ No, not probably. You were one of the reasons. “And I’m not picking on Justin Verlander, because he’s a horse. … But it’s not ‘probably.’ Let's all face up to the music here. We didn’t do the job, including me. At the head of the class. Did not do the job. Simple. There’s no ifs, buts and all that kind of stuff. I can’t stand that kind of stuff.”Ready with the penWithout an extension, Leyland could be a lame-duck manager. And hiring a quality pitching coach might be tough if the boss could be gone in a year.Still, Leyland clearly holds out hope. “I don’t need power. I don’t want to get paid when I’m not working. … I don’t want an option. I don’t want a buyout. I want a contact and I will try and earn another contract next year. If I do, fine, and if I don’t, they can make another selection. That’s just the way it is. ...”I asked if he would sign mid-season — or insist in exploring the market after it was done.“I would extend tomorrow. I would extend in June. I would extend in July. I would extend in August. I want to manage the Tigers. … And I think I deserve to manage the Tigers. But … I don’t want to be anywhere where I’m not wanted.”The Tigers would make a mistake letting him go. Think about the managers before him. This was a nutty season of injuries, underachievement, position switching and scrambled lineups. But Leyland voluntarily took more heat than his players did. I’d rather see him here long-term than some of them.I asked if Tuesday was the longest drive home he’d had in a while. He said a guy at a Hardees at a highway stop did ask him for an autograph.“So everything’s not for naught, I guess.”He managed a laugh. Here’s hoping he gets to manage a lot more than that.
At Leylands age a one year deal is more than enough.

Leroy Hoard said:
Da Guru said:
Judging by recent photos, he'll be lucky to make it thru another year.
I am a little put off by Leylands actions the last week. Leyland always preaches to handles thing in house, yet when he did not get an extension he was crying to the media. Plus he ripped Verlander after Verlander manned up and took some of the blame for the coaches getting fired.Leylands act is worn out in Detroit.

Leroy Hoard said:
Da Guru said:
I am a little put off by Leylands actions the last week. Leyland always preaches to handles thing in house, yet when he did not get an extension he was crying to the media. Plus he ripped Verlander after Verlander manned up and took some of the blame for the coaches getting fired.Leylands act is worn out in Detroit.
I think he will have a short leash next year, another bad April and it could be bye-bye for the skipper by summer.

Leroy Hoard said:
Da Guru said:
I think he will have a short leash next year, another bad April and it could be bye-bye for the skipper by summer.
Yep. 2006 notwithstanding, the team underachieved in 2007 and even more so in 2008. The team is going backwards under his leadership right now so unless he gets things turned around early in 2009, I think he will be shown the door. Jim keeps trying to say all the right things like "I am responsible, it's my fault...I'm not getting the job done." Great, you are taking accountability for the problems, but at some point you need to fix them. I thought it was interesting how he referred to the clubhouse dynamics -- pitchers were mad at the position players b/c of their poor defense and the position players were mad at the pitchers for not pitching well. No surprise there but I was surprised he even brought that up to the media.

Doctor D,Are we going to keep going with this thread for the offseason stuff or do you anticipate starting a new one? I figure if we keep this one going you will at least be able to continue making shameless bumps like this when things you predicted come to fruition. :confused:
Why don't you do it, I seem to have been bad luck.

Doctor D,

Are we going to keep going with this thread for the offseason stuff or do you anticipate starting a new one? I figure if we keep this one going you will at least be able to continue making shameless bumps like this when things you predicted come to fruition. :lmao:
Why don't you do it, I seem to have been bad luck.
OK, we'll kill this thread and start a new one.Here is the new thread for everyone to begin posting in: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=432081

Users who are viewing this thread