What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2010 Denver Broncos Offseason Thread ** (1 Viewer)

bryan215

Footballguy
No more whining about Jay ####ing Cutler and how some of his throws got you so hard.

Plummer > Cutler aiaec

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick Dennison gone.

Bobby Turner gone.

Casey Wiegmann starting center gone because they want to change the blocking scheme.

If they trade BM, this is going to be a really, really long year...

But if they keep BM, that will keep them from having to go WR in the 1st/2nd round and hopefully the Broncos can focus on getting defensive help for a secondary that probably has 2 years max. left in them.

I'd prefer to see them focus on the trenches early in FA/the draft. True, our skills guys need to be replenished, but the dreadful stretch run last year was the poor play of the lines.

I'm ready to close the door on the Brandon Marshall era. From a football standpoint, I don't want to see him go, but with all this testimony going on in the Derrent Williams murder trial, I don't think Denver is a safe place for Brandon Marshall. He needs (and deserves) a fresh start in a place where gang members won't be looking for him.

Courtjester said:
Rick Dennison gone.

Bobby Turner gone.

Casey Wiegmann starting center gone because they want to change the blocking scheme.

If they trade BM, this is going to be a really, really long year...

But if they keep BM, that will keep them from having to go WR in the 1st/2nd round and hopefully the Broncos can focus on getting defensive help for a secondary that probably has 2 years max. left in them.
what kind of role do you see for Royal on a post-Marshall Broncos?

Courtjester said:
Rick Dennison gone.Bobby Turner gone.Casey Wiegmann starting center gone because they want to change the blocking scheme.If they trade BM, this is going to be a really, really long year...But if they keep BM, that will keep them from having to go WR in the 1st/2nd round and hopefully the Broncos can focus on getting defensive help for a secondary that probably has 2 years max. left in them.
just adding Mike Nolan to the list......

I'm ready to close the door on the Brandon Marshall era. From a football standpoint, I don't want to see him go, but with all this testimony going on in the Derrent Williams murder trial, I don't think Denver is a safe place for Brandon Marshall. He needs (and deserves) a fresh start in a place where gang members won't be looking for him.
if gang members want to get BM for some reason, it ain't gonna matter where he goes.....

if gang members want to get BM for some reason, it ain't gonna matter where he goes.....
You're probably right, but I think he has a better chance at life elsewhere, considering his testimony at the trial this past week. I know there are Crips in every major city, but the farther he gets away from Denver, the better in my opinion. This goes way beyond football at this point, even though BM hasn't been a model citizen, I don't wish gang repercussions on anyone. Good luck Brandon! Get out of town without harm while you can.

You're probably right, but I think he has a better chance at life elsewhere, considering his testimony at the trial this past week. I know there are Crips in every major city, but the farther he gets away from Denver, the better in my opinion. This goes way beyond football at this point, even though BM hasn't been a model citizen, I don't wish gang repercussions on anyone. Good luck Brandon! Get out of town without harm while you can.
I agree with much of what you said, this is one of those where a change of scenery would be good for all parties involved.....I didn't know until after the trial started that BM was actually in a physical altercation with the suspected trigger man on that night before the shooting.....things are pretty mellow in KC...... ;) :moneybag: :goodposting:

I agree with much of what you said, this is one of those where a change of scenery would be good for all parties involved.....I didn't know until after the trial started that BM was actually in a physical altercation with the suspected trigger man on that night before the shooting.....things are pretty mellow in KC...... :lmao: :lmao: :thumbup:
Yeah, I bet you'd love him in KC. A lot of interesting things coming out in the trial (is there a thread in the FFA? I looked briefly, but been to lazy to search for one) Can you imagine the guilt BM has been carrying around for the last 3 years? It might explain some of his actions over the past few years, it doesn't excuse any actions, just maybe 'splaining some.

Broncos are bringing in:

DL Justin Bannan

DL Dwan Edwards

C Rex Hadnot

OT Tony Pathos

CB Nathan Jones

DE Jason Babin

Signed:

RB JJ Arrington

WR Brandon Lloyd

OG Russ Hochstein

Trades:

Nothing yet, but rumors about regarding Marshall.

RFAs:

OLB/DE Elvis Dumervil - 1st and 3rd round tender

QB Kyle Orton - 1st round tender

WR Brandon Marshall - 1st round tender

G Chris Kuper - 1st round tender

TE Tony Scheffler - 2nd round tender

Broncos signed NT Jamal Williams and (gasp, another ex Patriot) DE Jarvis Green. The DL should be better at least in the short term.

So we've added Brannan, Williams, and Green. At least we are addressing the d-line for once.

Looks like we are after mawae...hopefully he has 1-2 seasons left in the tank

"The Denver Post"

The Broncos also could fill the void from within. Mario Haggan, who started at outside linebacker last season, could move back to his more natural inside position.

In this scenario, the Broncos would count on last year's first-round draft pick, Robert Ayers, to make marked improvement in his second season. Ayers, an outside linebacker selected with the No. 18 draft pick, will be among the Broncos' top six paid players in 2010 at $5.1 million.

WTF?!?!? We start to address the defense and now we release Andre Davis?
Perhaps they are preparing to draft Rolando McClain... Would be a good fit.
You don't cut your #2 ILB in a 3-4 before you draft the hypothetical player to replace him. That is risky and just plain stupid.
Davis played well last season, but it's not like he was anything special. And he will be be one year older. He is very replaceable - if not by McClain than someone else, perhaps internally.I'm not at all surprised by the move. Davis simply doesn't/didn't figure into their long term plans.

WTF?!?!? We start to address the defense and now we release Andre Davis?
Perhaps they are preparing to draft Rolando McClain... Would be a good fit.
You don't cut your #2 ILB in a 3-4 before you draft the hypothetical player to replace him. That is risky and just plain stupid.
Davis played well last season, but it's not like he was anything special. And he will be be one year older. He is very replaceable - if not by McClain than someone else, perhaps internally.I'm not at all surprised by the move. Davis simply doesn't/didn't figure into their long term plans.
Agreed, very replaceable despite playing pretty well last year. Plus they get a freebee on the contract with the uncapped year.

With the recent trade of Peyton Hillis and a late pick or two for Brady Quinn, as well as Chris Simms' release, the QB depth chart looks like this:

Kyle Orton

Brady Quinn

Tom Brandstater

Given these offseason QB moves I doubt one will be drafted in April.

With Brandon Marshall's 2010 team uncertain (although as each day goes by the likelihood that he returns to Denver increases) and starting ILB Andra Davis having been cut, most mock drafts have focused on either WR or LB (Dez Bryant or Rolando McClain) as Denver's presumptive first round pick.

A DL pick seems less plausible considering the recent additions they've made (Bannan, Williams, Green), although Dan Williams from Tennessee wouldn't be a bad choice.

The interior offensive line still needs bodies, though. Prevailing thought seems to indicate that pick 11 is too high for a center or guard, although I personally wouldn't have any problems with the team "reaching" for Iupati or Pouncey. Ideally they could move down and still get one of those two guys, unless they're sold on either Bryant or McClain.

I'm impressed with the front office's offseason so far. I'd like to see dramatically improved results from last year's draft, though.

I'm going to assume that Marshall is back next year for this post.

The Broncos still need to find a center maybe an OG and maybe an ILB. Everything else has been addressed pretty well through FA.

Be nice to enter the draft being able to go BPA every round.

I'm going to assume that Marshall is back next year for this post.The Broncos still need to find a center maybe an OG and maybe an ILB. Everything else has been addressed pretty well through FA.Be nice to enter the draft being able to go BPA every round.
They could use some youth all over on defense too. It seems like they are duct taping the 3-4 together which should be OK for the short term but if they don't somehow figure out how to draft defensive players, it's not going to take long before the defense falls apart again.

The Broncos still need to find a center maybe an OG and maybe an ILB. Everything else has been addressed pretty well through FA.

Lots of people would argue BPA is the best draft strategy regardless of need. That said, I agree we need some interior OL help.They're working out BC's center Matt Tennant today, so he's on the radar. 6'5" and 300 pounds sounds like the kind of big body our new power running game needs. He's NFP's second rated center:

Matt Tennant C, Boston College

NFP Grade: 6.9

Scouting Report:

Matt Tennant: No. 65, C, 6-4, 292

A tall, long-armed center who plays with a good pad level in pass protection, Tennant does a nice job keeping his base down and redirecting in space. He generates good power on contact and exhibits a strong, compact punch. He does a nice job sliding laterally on contact, maintaining his balance and anchoring inside. Tennant possesses a powerful upper body and does a great job getting his hands under the chest plate of opposing linemen and locking on at the point of attack. But he does have a tendency to overextend at times and will lunge into blocks. He's an above-average athlete who does a good job getting around defenders on slide-down blocks, but he lacks the quickness to make up for a false step in pass protection.

Tennant is a Velcro player who uses his length to stay on blocks through the play and control linemen on contact. He pumps his legs through contact in the run game and has the power to handle big DTs one-on-one inside and not give them a sniff of the football. He doesn't fire off the ball low and doesn't generate much initial pop on contact. He's more of a catcher who uses his length to stay on blocks and turn defenders from the ball.

Grade: 6.9
Stanford RB Toby Gerhart is scheduled for a workout next week as well. I would love his game as a compliment to Moreno and Buckhalter. I assume the Broncos would have to target him in the early third or earlier.I'll be excited if both McClain and Bryant are available when Denver picks at 11 (although I doubt it could happen). Given last year's draft though, with positions of perceived need not addressed and several perceived reaches occurring, I'm not sure what to expect.

BusMan said:
rascal said:

Lots of people would argue BPA is the best draft strategy regardless of need. That said, I agree we need some interior OL help.They're working out BC's center Matt Tennant today, so he's on the radar. 6'5" and 300 pounds sounds like the kind of big body our new power running game needs. He's NFP's second rated center:

Matt Tennant C, Boston College

NFP Grade: 6.9

Scouting Report:

Matt Tennant: No. 65, C, 6-4, 292

A tall, long-armed center who plays with a good pad level in pass protection, Tennant does a nice job keeping his base down and redirecting in space. He generates good power on contact and exhibits a strong, compact punch. He does a nice job sliding laterally on contact, maintaining his balance and anchoring inside. Tennant possesses a powerful upper body and does a great job getting his hands under the chest plate of opposing linemen and locking on at the point of attack. But he does have a tendency to overextend at times and will lunge into blocks. He's an above-average athlete who does a good job getting around defenders on slide-down blocks, but he lacks the quickness to make up for a false step in pass protection.

Tennant is a Velcro player who uses his length to stay on blocks through the play and control linemen on contact. He pumps his legs through contact in the run game and has the power to handle big DTs one-on-one inside and not give them a sniff of the football. He doesn't fire off the ball low and doesn't generate much initial pop on contact. He's more of a catcher who uses his length to stay on blocks and turn defenders from the ball.

Grade: 6.9
Stanford RB Toby Gerhart is scheduled for a workout next week as well. I would love his game as a compliment to Moreno and Buckhalter. I assume the Broncos would have to target him in the early third or earlier.I'll be excited if both McClain and Bryant are available when Denver picks at 11 (although I doubt it could happen). Given last year's draft though, with positions of perceived need not addressed and several perceived reaches occurring, I'm not sure what to expect.
The Broncos need to trade down and get an extra third or second if at all possible.I like Dan Williams but not sure if he is worthy of a #11 pick. He's about the only player I truly want at our position (who should be available anyway).

They've interviewed 2 centers thus far (BC Tennett and that Baylor kid) so they are at least focusing on their obvious needs. That's probably the biggest problem I had with Shanny.

I think the Broncos need to take a serious look at drafting Jamar Chaney in the third or fourth round. He has had some injuries but I don't think it's indicative of future problems. He kicked ### in the senior bowl, put up solid numbers at Miss St, and showed excellent mobility, explosiveness, and strength in the combine. I think he could compete right away for our ILB vacancy or at least provide solid backup behind Haggan (if that is who starts) and DJ. I don't have a lot of faith in Larsen and he seems destined for FB duties with the departure of Hillis.

You can never go wrong with BPA - Dan Williams would still be a great pick at #11 - but it's conceivable he could go top 10 (KC? Buffalo?) and with sizable investments in both Ronald Fields and Jamal Williams, it looks doubtful.

A trade down for Pouncey could be a very plausible/desirable scenario for the Broncos depending on how they feel about McClain. If Joe Hadden is available, what about a switch with Houston who is at #20? Although with Houston's many needs it may be unlikely.

As far as WR goes, I'd rather see Mardy Gilyard in the 2nd or Jordan Shipley/Eric Decker in the 3rd than Dez in round one. I think the rest of of the WR class is being overlooked and there will be some great players that go in between the 2nd and 4th rounds.

The one player I want to them to stay away from is G Mike Iupati. He is a liability in pass protection and a holding machine... did anyone else notice this at the senior bowl? Mike Mayock pointed it out a few times... he was getting abused in pass protection. Looks to be a good run blocker but if you can't pass protect then you're not a 1st round prospect.

Another player who may get some looks is Carlos Dunlap, who would really complete the DE rotation and give them an future stud on the DL.

A great breakdown of McDaniels' comments at the recent owners' meetings from Frank Schwab:

I wasn't in Orlando for the owners meetings, but the Broncos provided a transcript of Josh McDaniels' lengthy talk with the media. The headline was that McDaniels endorsed quarterback Kyle Orton as the starting quarterback (“He is our starter. There is no question.â€) but McDaniels addressed many topics that should be of interest. Here they are:

-- The Broncos opened up a couple starting positions when they released center Casey Wiegmann and linebacker Andra Davis. The Broncos could draft or still sign players at those positions, but McDaniels indicated the current plan is that Russ Hochstein is penciled in at center and Mario Haggan will replace Davis, with Ayers getting promoted to a full time role at outside linebacker. Haggan started on the outside last year.

"With (Mario) Haggan, we have the flexibility to move Mario inside at Mike (linebacker), and he’s every bit of 265 pounds at Mike linebacker," McDaniels said. "He played on the edge for us last year. We expect Robert Ayers to improve and play a bigger role in our defense this year."

At center, McDaniels said he is not worried about the position. He mentioned Dustin Fry, who played four games as a rookie in 2007 and was signed to a futures contract. Hochstein is clearly the top option on the roster now. Hochstein is coming off a knee injury but McDaniels thought he would be ready on time.

"He’s working hard and I think it’s going in the right direction," McDaniels said. "Hopefully he will be back sometime in training camp, if not at the beginning of training camp."

-- Eddie Royal was on the injury report the last two games last season with head and neck injuries. McDaniels said today Royal was dealing with "concussions." He said that when explaining how he would like to get Royal more involved this season.

"Eddie is certainly going to do more moving this year than he did last year; there is no question about that," McDaniels said. "We started on that process late last season. We didn’t really get to get into it because Eddie had the concussions at the end of the year."

Royal was having a poor 2009 well before those injury issues, and McDaniels seems intent on getting Royal more looks in the offense. He said Royal played the "X" outside position most of the time but will move around more, including in the slot.

"I think he’s a smart player, a versatile player (and) a guy that we need to do better with," McDaniels said. "We didn’t do a good enough job of getting Eddie involved in the offense in certain games and we have to do a better job of that. He is certainly capable."

-- The Broncos signed three veteran defensive linemen (Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams and Jarvis Green) in free agency, but McDaniels didn't rule out drafting another lineman. He compared attacking the defensive line in free agency to the way Denver added to its secondary last year. The Broncos then drafted three defensive backs.

"Certainly no question that we would add a good player on the defensive front in the draft if that’s what came up," McDaniels said. "But we’ll do that at any position."

McDaniels wanted more depth on the defensive line, and it appears he has that now.

"Certainly the defensive line that we had last year was very young and hadn’t started a lot of games in terms of overall experience," McDaniels said. "We felt like if we could add some pieces there to give ourselves some experience, some people that had played maybe a little bit more, and then couple that with the group that we did play last year, because right now we feel like we’ve got great depth at the defensive line spot.

"We’ve got a lot of 20-something-year-old players behind some veterans now that have some experience. We felt like we got worn down a little bit as the season wore on. That’s not necessarily one player’s fault, or another player, but we didn’t feel like we had enough depth there. That’s something we wanted to do."

-- On nose tackle Jamal Williams, McDaniels said he is in great shape and fully recovered from a triceps injury that ended his 2009 season. He said he didn't see any drop-off in Williams' play in 2009 before he was injured.

"There was enough evidence there to say that this player hadn’t declined significantly from ’08 to ’09, and then the injury had totally healed and he’s ready to roll," McDaniels said.

-- Quarterback Brady Quinn's knowledge of McDaniels' offense should help him get up to speed quickly. McDaniels' offense isn't the same as Charlie Weis' scheme (Weis was offensive coordinator in New England when McDaniels was on the staff, and Weis coached Quinn in college at Notre Dame) but is similar. McDaniels said he has not spoken to Weis about Quinn.

"I think the basis of the terminology, he probably knows 85 percent of the terms and the words we use and the routes and all those different kinds of things," McDaniels said. "He was coached by the guy that really taught me. I think that’s something that’s going to be a positive for Brady."

-- McDaniels said he still considers restricted free agent receiver Brandon Marshall "a big part of our team" but has little control over whether another team signs him to an offer sheet.

"There’s nothing we can do," McDaniels said. "We did what we did with all of our restricted free agents, we made those decisions, we placed the tenders on them and the process is out of our hands at this point.â€

The Broncos showed they were willing to part with Marshall for a first-round pick when they gave him the first-round tender instead of a first- and third-round tender.

-- McDaniels said the signing of cornerback Nathan Jones is not an indictment of second-year cornerback Alphonso Smith, who struggled as a rookie.

"Doesn't change a thing," McDaniels said. "We have high expectations for all of our young players. Nathan Jones is a player we felt could come in and improve our competition and depth. He has been a special teams player a defensive player, he has played safety. We love his versatility, we love his attitude. ... I don't think you can have enough competition at any spot and I think Nathan is going to come in with a great attitude and Alphonso is working hard. It is year two for a lot of our players and we expect definite improvement in a lot of areas."

-- The Broncos travel to London for a game against San Francisco on Oct. 31, a trip that disrupts a NFL team's normal in-season routine. To prepare, McDaniels said he is already speaking to teams that have made that trip.

"We’ve talked to a lot of people, actually," McDaniels said. "There’s a lot of ways to do different things. I think there’s no perfect way to do it. There’s no easy way to do it. We’re going to make our decisions about when we’re going over pretty soon. (Assistant to head coach) Mark (Thewes) has been over there, (vice president of operations) Chip (Conway) has been over there, so we’ve had a lot of people already involved in this process. We tried to gather as much information from other clubs as we could from the league."
Key points: --the new starting center may already be on the team (Hochstein/Fry)

--DL depth has been addressed through FA

--Orton is the starting QB

--Mario Haggan slides inside to starting MLB with second year man Robert Ayers projected to slide into Haggan's old spot

Smells like BPA at #11 for the Broncos.

I have been pleasantly suprised with this offseason. We have addressed key issues, and although we let Nolan go, I believe the defense will be better next season. Quinn is a great replacement for Simms. If we could somehow move Marshall for a 1st, I think it would be a good thing. Let's just hope there are not any curve ball draft picks headed our way.

I have been pleasantly suprised with this offseason. We have addressed key issues, and although we let Nolan go, I believe the defense will be better next season. Quinn is a great replacement for Simms. If we could somehow move Marshall for a 1st, I think it would be a good thing. Let's just hope there are not any curve ball draft picks headed our way.
I agree that free agency appears to be a strength of this regime based on the two periods we've seen. The draft...is a completely different animal. I want to see significant improvement.

With the first round of the NFL draft less than 36 hours away, I'll be fine with any of these options at 11:

--WR Dez Bryant

--LB Rolando McClain

--DT Dan Williams

--C Maurkice Pouncey

--trading down

I'll go ballistic if its:

--QB Tim Tebow

--any RB

--trade up

With the first round of the NFL draft less than 36 hours away, I'll be fine with any of these options at 11:--WR Dez Bryant--LB Rolando McClain--DT Dan Williams--C Maurkice Pouncey--trading downI'll go ballistic if its:--QB Tim Tebow--any RB--trade up
I'd agree with that list but I'd add Joe Hadden / Kyle Wilson. Champ's only got one year left on his contract and we need a number one CB of the future. And regarding Pouncy I will be a bit disappointed because they likely could acquire him via trade down. I'd also rather have Arrelious Benn in the 2nd than Dez in the first, but that's just me. What about a 2nd round wish list?DT/DE Tyson AlualuWR Arrelious BennS Nate AllenDE Carlos DunlapLB Koa MisiDT/DE Linval JosephLB Sean LeeDT Brian Price

I agree 100% with John Bena.

The Tim Tebow Conundrum - Broncos should avoid the temptation

Ok, let me get something out of the way right off the bat. I'm not here to bash Tim Tebow. Far from it. For some reason, as often happens with polarizing topics, you are forced to pick sides. I'm not picking sides here. There is little doubt about the character of Tebow and yes that matters in the NFL. There are plenty of examples, starting with a team that wears Black and Gold.

We also know that no player in this draft will work harder than Tebow. He will be the first one in and last one out of the building every day. So was Chris Simms, by the way, but I digress. Tebow is a coaches dream. Especially Josh McDaniels. Tebow wants to be coached, wants to be yelled at, wants to learn, wants to be great. In a lot of ways, that is half the battle in any walk of life.

Tebow has all the intangibles you'd love to see in every player.

There is also no debating his place as one of the greatest college football players....ever. He won championships, he won Heisman Trophies. He was a great leader and a great teammate. He played hurt and came back from injury in a hurry. Again, not much to debate here and all great qualities in a player - especially at quarterback.

So why is there a pit in my stomach every time I think of a guy who became a star in Blue and Orange on Saturday's wearing Blue and Orange on Sunday's?

Like all the positives above, I think we can all agree Tebow is not ready to come in and start. Not a terrible thing, few rookie quarterbacks are. Even fewer are really given the chance. But there in-lies the problem.

If the Broncos were to take Tebow in the 2nd Round - at 43 or 45 - or worse, trade back into the late-1st Round to take him, they would do so with the intention of finding a way to get a tremendous athlete on the field. At least that has been the argument for the Broncos, a team with needs all over the roster, to take him so high in the Draft.

That is a relative term, by the way. I think Tebow could get drafted anywhere from 25-45. What is considered 'high' or a 'reach' for the Broncos is not for a team like, say, the Vikings or Patriots. They are contending football teams that can put a guy like Tebow on their roster and nurture him until he is ready - and still be in Super Bowl contention.

Back to the Broncos. Let's say they do use Tebow as many have mentioned - as a weapon in some gimmick offense. I've heard Tebow could be used as a 'Slash-type' player or even a H-Back. How about the Wild Horses/Wildcat/whatevertheycallitnext You name it, we've heard it - short-yardage, goalline, special-teams. That's all great, and it might work - a bit.

Here's the problem. If we already agree that Tebow needs work, and we all agree that it will take time, how is Tebow going to work on the things he needs to work on if he is focusing his attention of a gimmick offense or a position other than quarterback? It defeats the very purpose of drafting this guy - and goes against what Tebow himself wants, which is to be a quarterback in the NFL.

Sure, do I think Josh McDaniels could work with Tebow and make him a great Quarterback in the NFL? Definitely. Here is the problem - McDaniels isn't a quarterback coach anymore, and he isn't an Offensive Coordinator anymore. He is the Head Coach of the Broncos and is responsible for all positions on the football field, not just the QB. I saw firsthand in Training Camp last year that he is heavily involved with all positions, too - from running WR drills, to coaching linebackers, to sitting in on defensive-line drills.

I am a Tim Tebow supporter. Because of that, I feel the best thing for Tim Tebow is to NOT be drafted by the Broncos. If anything, it would stunt his development as a quarterback and slow his progress. The most importtant element for Tebow is to be drafted into the right situation - a team that has the flexibility to be patient with his development and let him cook in the oven a bit more.

The Broncos are not that team. It is a team and fan-base in the midst of its' longest playoff drought since before the Orange-Crush defense. It is a team that has seen the Head Coach, Quarterback and star receiver jettisoned in the past 16 months after 15 years of stability. In other words, the Broncos need to add players that can help right now, today. They need players that can step right in and be big-time contributors. Tim Tebow cannot do that for the Broncos in 2010. Not in the way that would benefit Tebow in 2011 and beyond.

In another year, in another time, Tebow would be a solid pickup. For this Broncos team, in 2010, the best bet is to let Tebow land softly somewhere else and go about the business of rebuilding this roster.

BusMan said:
I'm thinking trading down is a very realistic option and that's my favorite option.
Same here. Denver has too many needs, and this draft has too much talent for McX not to try very hard to move down.
I agree. If we could go down 3-5-7 spots, pick up a 3rd rounder (maybe a late 2nd--I can wish can't I?).But when the teams needs WR/LB/CB and help on both lines, the more picks the better. :thumbup:

Woooooooow.

Denver does a masterful job trading back and replacing Marshall with a big physical WR. And then....Tebow.

McDaniels getting hammered by all sides and I can see why. A 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounder for a project QB? He just went all in. As a Bronco fan, I seriously hope it works out. I loved the Bey Bey Thomas pick and the trade downs prior to that. But this Tebow pick will probably determine McX's future not only with the Broncos but in the league.

Does Tebow come in and contribute at all this year? I mean wildcat/wildhorses whatever formation? Is he a GL/short yardage gimmick guy in addition to clipboard holder? I'd hope he does something after trading all those picks. It's not like the rest of Denver's rooster is loaded with talent. They could have used those picks elsewhere. I hope it works out.

No posts from SSOG or moleculo???

Anyone else worried?
of course I'm worried. The Tebow pick could pay off in huge dividends in 2011 or 2012; I don't see any benefit for 2010 - a Bronco team that clearly will have some holes. Further, we traded some good picks to get him.Here's my thoughts on Tebow - not organized or necessarily consistent, just documenting what' been going through my head since last night:

[*]Tebow will be a spectacular hit or a dramatic miss. He's either the next Elway or the next Alex Smith. i don't see a middle of the road for his future. If he can figure out what he's been knocked for missing (i.e. running NFL offense, mechanics), he will be the best player in this draft, I have no doubt.

[*]I'm not so concerned about the mechanics that others aren't seeing. Ryan Leaf threw a pretty ball. So does JaMarcus Russell, so did Tim Couch. Bernie Kosar threw a pretty ugly pass, but he was effective.

[*]I'm not so sure that the system Florida runs is drastically different from what McD does. Last year, Orton was in the gun quite a bit with a spread O - lots of WR screens and the like. I haven't watched a whole lot of Gator games, but isn't tha pretty much the same stuff the they do?

[*]McD/Tebow will be forever linked. McD has hitched his NFL reputation to Tebow. If Tebow ends up being half the NFL stud he was in college, McD will be a genius. If Tebow is an epic failure, I'll be hopping on the "McIdiot" bandwagon. This draft is where McD completely transforms the team into what he wants it to be, instead of Shanahans leftovers. I like it. If he's gonna go down, I like that he's gonna go down his way, with his guys.

[*]People say it was a reach to draft Tebow in the first, and it may have been. But, just like real-estate is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay, Tebow is worth a first round because I'm certain that there were other teams willing to take Tebow in the first round. That being said, a late first is not too much to pay for someone you really like. Heck, the price for Tebow was less than the price paid for Alphonso Smith.

Anyone else worried?
of course I'm worried. The Tebow pick could pay off in huge dividends in 2011 or 2012; I don't see any benefit for 2010 - a Bronco team that clearly will have some holes. Further, we traded some good picks to get him.Here's my thoughts on Tebow - not organized or necessarily consistent, just documenting what' been going through my head since last night:

[*]Tebow will be a spectacular hit or a dramatic miss. He's either the next Elway or the next Alex Smith. i don't see a middle of the road for his future. If he can figure out what he's been knocked for missing (i.e. running NFL offense, mechanics), he will be the best player in this draft, I have no doubt.

[*]I'm not so concerned about the mechanics that others aren't seeing. Ryan Leaf threw a pretty ball. So does JaMarcus Russell, so did Tim Couch. Bernie Kosar threw a pretty ugly pass, but he was effective.

[*]I'm not so sure that the system Florida runs is drastically different from what McD does. Last year, Orton was in the gun quite a bit with a spread O - lots of WR screens and the like. I haven't watched a whole lot of Gator games, but isn't tha pretty much the same stuff the they do?

[*]McD/Tebow will be forever linked. McD has hitched his NFL reputation to Tebow. If Tebow ends up being half the NFL stud he was in college, McD will be a genius. If Tebow is an epic failure, I'll be hopping on the "McIdiot" bandwagon. This draft is where McD completely transforms the team into what he wants it to be, instead of Shanahans leftovers. I like it. If he's gonna go down, I like that he's gonna go down his way, with his guys.

[*]People say it was a reach to draft Tebow in the first, and it may have been. But, just like real-estate is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay, Tebow is worth a first round because I'm certain that there were other teams willing to take Tebow in the first round. That being said, a late first is not too much to pay for someone you really like. Heck, the price for Tebow was less than the price paid for Alphonso Smith.
thanks for reminding me.

Despite the Tebow pick, which i understand I just don't like it, we had an incredible 3rd round and found some excellent value. I give us a solid B.

Decker and Thomas will be our WRs of the future, I expect Jabar to start over Decker this year though, with Royal moved to slot (as he should be).

Our o-line got considerably better with Beadles, Walton, and Olsen. I expect Beadles to challenge Seth Olsen for LG and Walton to start at C.

Perrish Cox was a sweet pick with low risk (due to his off-field questions).

Really wish we would address the d-line through the draft, but in a 3-4 I can understand not focusing on it. Our LB and HB positions are scary thin even with the Akin Ayodele signing. IMO the defense hinges on the health of Jamal and the performance of Ayers.

Expected depth chart:

QB: Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow, Tom Brandstater

RB: Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, JJ Arrington, Lance Ball, Bruce Hall

WR: Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley

WR: Jabar Gaffney, Eric Decker, Matthew Willis

WR: Demaryius Thomas, Brandon Lloyd, Kenny McKinley

TE: Daniel Graham, Richard Quinn, Marquez Branson

LT: Ryan Clady, Brandon Gorin

LG: Zane Beadles, Seth Olsen, Matt McChesney

C: J.D. Walton, Russ Hochstein, Dustin Fry

RG: Chris Kuper, Eric Olsen

RT: Ryan Harris, Tyler Polumbus, D'Anthony Batiste

DE: Justin Bannan, Le Kevin Smith, Marcus Thomas

DE: Jarvis Green, Ryan McBean

NT: Jamal Williams, Ronnie Fields, Chris Baker

OLB: Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss, Jammie Kirlew

OLB: Robert Ayers, Darrell Reid, Baraka Atkins

ILB: DJ Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Braxton Kelley

ILB: Mario Haggan, Akin Ayodele, Spencer Larsen

CB: Champ Bailey, Nate Jones, Tony Carter, Syd'Quan Thompson

CB: Andre Goodman, Alphonso Smith, Perrish Cox

S: Brian Dawkins, Darcel McBath

S: Renaldo Hill, David Bruton, Josh Barrett

K: Matt Prater

P: Britton Colquitt, A.J. Trapasso

DS: Lonie Paxton

Really wish we would address the d-line through the draft, but in a 3-4 I can understand not focusing on it. Our LB and HB positions are scary thin even with the Akin Ayodele signing. IMO the defense hinges on the health of Jamal and the performance of Ayers.
I liked the draft a lot too but I agree with this. Maybe Oklahoma's Chris Brown turns into a UDFA gem? Hopefully because Buckhalter and Arrington don't strike me as a great duo should Moreno go down.

Anyone else worried?
I've got a bit of a unique perspective, since I'm a UF alum in addition to a Bronco fan (so, obviously, I've seen me a LOT of Tim Tebow). I have always been one of Tebow's most vocal supporters on the board. I've also been one of the loudest and most vocal supporters of having a run/pass threat (mostly in the form of the wildcat). Yudkin recently pointed out that I anticipated the arrival of the wildcat in the NFL a year before the wildcat made its NFL debut. I didn't anticipate Denver getting Tebow, but I'm happy with the pick, because Denver's about the best possible fit for him. First off, to quote some sections of the John Bena article that Busman posted...
The Tim Tebow Conundrum - Broncos should avoid the temptation

If the Broncos were to take Tebow in the 2nd Round - at 43 or 45 - or worse, trade back into the late-1st Round to take him, they would do so with the intention of finding a way to get a tremendous athlete on the field. At least that has been the argument for the Broncos, a team with needs all over the roster, to take him so high in the Draft.

That is a relative term, by the way. I think Tebow could get drafted anywhere from 25-45. What is considered 'high' or a 'reach' for the Broncos is not for a team like, say, the Vikings or Patriots. They are contending football teams that can put a guy like Tebow on their roster and nurture him until he is ready - and still be in Super Bowl contention.

Back to the Broncos. Let's say they do use Tebow as many have mentioned - as a weapon in some gimmick offense. I've heard Tebow could be used as a 'Slash-type' player or even a H-Back. How about the Wild Horses/Wildcat/whatevertheycallitnext You name it, we've heard it - short-yardage, goalline, special-teams. That's all great, and it might work - a bit.

Here's the problem. If we already agree that Tebow needs work, and we all agree that it will take time, how is Tebow going to work on the things he needs to work on if he is focusing his attention of a gimmick offense or a position other than quarterback? It defeats the very purpose of drafting this guy - and goes against what Tebow himself wants, which is to be a quarterback in the NFL.
First off, I very strongly disagree with this. This is exactly what Urban Meyer did with Tim Tebow his freshman year- he created a "Tebow Package" in his playbook, a very small set of formations and plays that Tebow learned and Tebow ran. Not only was it a tremendous asset to Florida's season (UF never wins the 2006 National Championship if Tebow never converts 4th and 2 against Tennessee- period), but it was also FANTASTIC for Tebow's development. I mean, would anyone here say that Tebow didn't turn out okay at Florida? By getting a small but manageable section of the playbook, Tebow was able to really learn and master the offense in small slices at a time rather than having the whole book thrown at him at once and struggling. Tebow also had a great opportunity to be exposed to the reality of life in the SEC, the quality of competition, and the pressures that come with being a major name in Div1A Football. He got valuable on-the-job experience without Florida having to worry about trying to compete for a championship while starting a true freshman QB. Also, it's not like Tebow took all year to learn and process his package of plays- once he had those down, he had plenty of free time to learn what he needed to learn about the QB position.I really believe that having a package of plays for a rookie QB is possibly the BEST POSSIBLE WAY to develop that QB, it's just that there are very few QBs you can create a package for without destroying your ability to compete. Tebow is one of those very few QBs. If a normal rookie isn't ready, creating a set of plays for him means your team will be WORSE OFF when he is on the field running those plays. With Tebow, however, you can create a set of plays and have your team BETTER OFF while he's running them. Does anyone doubt that Tim Tebow will be a bigger threat on 2nd and 1 than Kyle Orton?

Also, it's not like all of Tebow's plays were "gimmicks" as a freshman. He had plenty of passing plays, some handoffs, just a large diverse cross-section to practice and run. And I put "gimmicks" in quotes because, as I've been saying for years, there's nothing "gimmicky" about formations like the Wildcat. It's just solid fundamental "whiteboard football".

Sure, do I think Josh McDaniels could work with Tebow and make him a great Quarterback in the NFL? Definitely. Here is the problem - McDaniels isn't a quarterback coach anymore, and he isn't an Offensive Coordinator anymore. He is the Head Coach of the Broncos and is responsible for all positions on the football field, not just the QB. I saw firsthand in Training Camp last year that he is heavily involved with all positions, too - from running WR drills, to coaching linebackers, to sitting in on defensive-line drills.

I am a Tim Tebow supporter. Because of that, I feel the best thing for Tim Tebow is to NOT be drafted by the Broncos. If anything, it would stunt his development as a quarterback and slow his progress. The most importtant element for Tebow is to be drafted into the right situation - a team that has the flexibility to be patient with his development and let him cook in the oven a bit more.

The Broncos are not that team. It is a team and fan-base in the midst of its' longest playoff drought since before the Orange-Crush defense. It is a team that has seen the Head Coach, Quarterback and star receiver jettisoned in the past 16 months after 15 years of stability. In other words, the Broncos need to add players that can help right now, today. They need players that can step right in and be big-time contributors. Tim Tebow cannot do that for the Broncos in 2010. Not in the way that would benefit Tebow in 2011 and beyond.

In another year, in another time, Tebow would be a solid pickup. For this Broncos team, in 2010, the best bet is to let Tebow land softly somewhere else and go about the business of rebuilding this roster.
I pretty strongly disagree with this. I mean, let's be honest- does anyone REALLY believe that Denver's going to be competing for the SB this year? I mean, anyone other than John Bena? Whether Tebow's running the offense, running a small package of the offense, or running the bench, none of that is really going to have a significant impact on Denver's season. Denver doesn't need players who can step in and contribute immediately, because Denver's probably not going to be COMPETING immediately. The best-case scenario for Denver right now is 10 wins and an early playoff exit. Nobody really has any expectations for the team. Denver was possibly the best place for Tebow to land.
of course I'm worried. The Tebow pick could pay off in huge dividends in 2011 or 2012; I don't see any benefit for 2010 - a Bronco team that clearly will have some holes. Further, we traded some good picks to get him.

Here's my thoughts on Tebow - not organized or necessarily consistent, just documenting what' been going through my head since last night:

First off, as I said, Tebow could definitely pay dividends in 2010. Whether he becomes a starter or not, I have a feeling that we just radically upgraded our red zone offense (which has been an achilles heel for years). We also just upgraded our "Wild Horses" package. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tebow provide as much benefit as a #3 WR or a CoP RB, or a rotational D-Lineman. He's going to have a chance to make some impact plays.Second off, great observation on the similarities between Denver's offense and Florida's. In fact, they're far more than superficial, nor are they coincidental. Bill Belichick and Urban Meyer are very good friends. Each coach has the other coach address his team every year, and they fly out to see each other a couple times during the offseason to hang out and discuss football in ways that they can't during the season. They talk about strategy, they talk Xs and Os, they talk about motivating champions, etc. Well, prior to the 2007 season, they talked a lot about the spread. Belichick was curious about the finer points of it, so Meyer gave him a little clinic in the spread offense, its principals and fundamentals, its strengths, its weaknesses, etc. Belichick then decided to install the spread at New England. He wound up pretty much just taking and installing all of the passing plays in Florida's playbook- he ran them out of "NFL formations", but the plays for the most part were pretty much unchanged. He also built upon it, added "NFL wrinkles", that sort of thing... but the 2007 New England passing game (you know, the one that set pretty much every scoring record in the books) was at its heart just Florida's passing offense. And the offensive coordinator for the 2007 New England Patriots, as we all know, was Josh McDaniels. So he came to Denver and he brought a lot of the elements of his scheme with him. A lot of the stuff that Denver ran last year isn't similar to what Tebow ran in college... it *IS* what Tebow ran in college, taken directly from his playbook.

That's why I say that there probably isn't a better situation in the entire league for Tim Tebow. He got drafted to run an offense that he already knows in which he's already excelled. He was drafted by a coach who is very well acquainted with his strengths and weaknesses (thanks to the Meyer connection), and who is brash and creative enough to try all sorts of things that Tebow is perfectly suited to do, but which the rest of the NFL would be too conservative and tradition-bound to even dream about. Denver got a lot of flak for taking Tebow while Clausen was still on the board, but with the possible exception of Bradford, there wasn't a single QB in the entire draft capable of running the offense as McDaniels' envisions it better than Tim Tebow.

I've also said in other threads that what I find especially interesting about Tebow is that, while the majority of the population is very cool on Tebow, the guys in the NFL who are considered "creative offensive minds" were almost unanimous in their love of him. Cam Cameron said that the wildcat could never work as a full-time offense in the NFL... with the possible exception of with Tim Tebow under center. The interviewer hadn't even mentioned Tebow, he'd just asked Cameron about the wildcat. Chan Gailey has made similar comments without any prompting, too. Bill Belichick has, (also unprompted), called Tebow "a special one". John Gruden obviously loves him, and I recall Mike Shanahan saying some good things about him, too. And we obviously know how McDaniels feels about Tebow. The acclaim that Tebow receives from the non-traditional "offensive gurus" is a very strong reason for optimism, in my mind.

I'm really looking forward to training camp now. No more cloud of cutler, no Marshall drama...it feels good to have all of the negativity finally behind us. From here on out, things should only be trending up :knocksonwood:

From here on out, it's positive things only: the progression of the new WR's, the excitement that Tebow brings, the battles for starting positions along the OL, and how the DL gels. It's an exciting time, and it's refreshing to be looking forward to the season again.

Users who are viewing this thread