What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Ignoramus said:
So I'm stumbling into this thread after placing my order for the Smokenator on Monday night. Can't wait til that puppy arrives. Never smoked before, but I'm seriously contemplating doing a brisket for my first time. Bad idea? Should I just stick with a chicken or something until I get the hang of it?
Before brisket I would recommend a more fogiving meat like pork. Assuming you like ribs thats what I would start with.

-jb- said:
NewlyRetired said:
I am looking for a suggestion for a side dish or two_On Friday I am cooking for 7 guys for poker night. The meat will be as follows1) Two full slabs of st louis cut ribs, smoked over plum wood using 3-2-1 on the Egg2) Making about 20 Calypso chicken drum sticks (my brother brought me back some fun spices and sauces from his trip to Tortolla). These are a simple direct heat cook on the gas grill3) Jamaican Jerk Tips - Going to marinate 2-3 pounds of cut into cubes sirloin tips in jerk sauce over night and then put on skewers and quick cook on the gas grill directAny suggestions for what would make for a good side dish?
MANGO JALAPENO SLAW

1/2 cup diced mango2 large jalapeños, seeded and chopped2 tablespoons white wine vinegar2 tablespoons sugar1 tablespoon water1 small shallot, minced1 cup mayonnaise (use kraft or homemade NOT miracle whip!)1/2 cup chopped cilantro2 garlic cloves, finely chopped1 tablespoon fresh lime juiceSalt and freshly ground pepper7 cups shredded coleslaw mix
Thanks! For the cole slaw mix, can I just use shredded cabbage and carrots or is there more to it?
I use the pre-packaged cole slaw from Sams or Publix when I make this

Ignoramus said:
So I'm stumbling into this thread after placing my order for the Smokenator on Monday night. Can't wait til that puppy arrives. Never smoked before, but I'm seriously contemplating doing a brisket for my first time. Bad idea? Should I just stick with a chicken or something until I get the hang of it?
I'd practice on Pork Butts to get a feel for the new toy.

ETA: You understand you could have simply put some wood chips in some foil to achieve the same thing as this smokenator, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignoramus said:
I'd practice on Pork Butts to get a feel for the new toy.

ETA: You understand you could have simply put some wood chips in some foil to achieve the same thing as this smokenator, right?
If he's never smoked before I think a butt would be a big step, IMHO

Ignoramus said:
Before brisket I would recommend a more fogiving meat like pork. Assuming you like ribs thats what I would start with.
I agree, brisket is not what you want to test with.

I know it's not a WSM but I would use the 5 step method they recomend on how to become familuar with your smoker.

http://www.lowslowbbq.com/

Ignoramus said:

I know it's not a WSM but I would use the 5 step method they recomend on how to become familuar with your smoker.

Really?? Butts were the easiest thing I learned how to do :shrug: and it's cheap compared to the other cuts.

Ignoramus said:

Really?? Butts were the easiest thing I learned how to do :shrug: and it's cheap compared to the other cuts.
Butts are not cheaper than chicken quarters, whole chicken (brined) which are steps 1 and 2. Butts can take some time to cook, at least 6 or 7 hours, that is why they are step 5. Its not about the food you are cooking its about getting comfortable with your smoker/grill in regards to how it will, hold temps, use fuel, damper adjustments, etc. The steps are there to help a newbie learn his/her cooker and so that they can cook anything with some sort of confidence that they know what to expect from thier smoker/grill and the steps are pretty good at that.

Ignoramus said:

The time associated with them (1 hour to 1 1/2 hours per pound in the cooker) usually equals a pretty long cook. With the smokenator that could lead to a lot of coal, wood and water pan changing/adding

Any trimming

The stall period

The wrapping (if thats what you do)

Tossing them in a cooler and resting them

etc.

That was a lot for me when I first started. I only recommended ribs since they're pretty simple if you follow the 3-2-1 or just do a straight 6-7 hour smoke. At that point all you have to worry about is temp control and even if thats iffy they'll still turn out good. JMHO

Fair enough....I started with a butt because it's a lot more forgiving, though you have to be working for a lot longer. Then I did a chicken, then ribs....and I still can't do a brisket the right way. Will work on that this summer.

I hate to brag, but I scooped up a sweet Weber Genesis Silver C this week for $75 off Craigslist.

It's real nice... SS grates, a side burner and it's blue!

Love it.

I got a Weber Smokey Mountain (18.5") yesterday for my birthday. It is replacing a very basic Brinkmann smoker that I've had for the past few years, which basically resulted in an 8-hour struggle to keep the temperature up every time I used it. I'm pretty excited to fire up the new WSM this weekend to smoke some ribs.

Appreciate the advice, fellas. Looks like I'll hone my skills on some pollo to start with and work my way up to that brisket.

I got a Weber Smokey Mountain (18.5") yesterday for my birthday. It is replacing a very basic Brinkmann smoker that I've had for the past few years, which basically resulted in an 8-hour struggle to keep the temperature up every time I used it. I'm pretty excited to fire up the new WSM this weekend to smoke some ribs.
The WSM is the easiest smoker I have ever used at controlling temps and cooking on, just a great cooker!

The WSM is the easiest smoker I have ever used at controlling temps and cooking on, just a great cooker!
That's great to hear. It's incredible how highly the WSM is rated on Amazon (4.9/5 stars with almost all 5 star reviews). I can't wait to see the difference in practice. I feel like I'll be able to relax and enjoy the smoking experience as opposed to constantly stressing about keeping the temp up.

That's great to hear. It's incredible how highly the WSM is rated on Amazon (4.9/5 stars with almost all 5 star reviews). I can't wait to see the difference in practice. I feel like I'll be able to relax and enjoy the smoking experience as opposed to constantly stressing about keeping the temp up.
After a few shorter cooks (1-4 hours) get familar with the minion method so that you can do longer cooks knowing your WSM will maintain a temp range for 8-12 hours with little fuss.

After a few shorter cooks (1-4 hours) get familar with the minion method so that you can do longer cooks knowing your WSM will maintain a temp range for 8-12 hours with little fuss.
The minion method sounds interesting. I'll have to try that out sometime. Thanks for the tip.

The minion method sounds interesting. I'll have to try that out sometime. Thanks for the tip.
I was suprised as well with all of the ratings and I have had mine for almost a month now and I can't say enough good things about it after cooking on it 5x already. I usually cook betweek 230-250...once I get it in that range I shut 2 of the bottom vents and leave the other about a third of the way open and it will stay put for hours.

I follow this for starting my WSM I havent used the water pan in mine yet....and I didnt get the saucer mentioned in the link. I just foil it, with a little indent, to catch the drippings

I'd also recommend these. VERY easy to install and you get 2 in a pack. I know there's one thermometer/probe that they don't work for though but its in the description.

I'm christening my new WSM with a few racks of St. Louis-style spare ribs this afternoon. This is only my second time smoking ribs. So far, I've removed the membrane, made my BBQ rub, and applied the rub generously to the ribs.

Does anyone have good tips for doing ribs? Do you use the 3-2-1 method? Do you use rib racks? Do you spritz the ribs with apple juice or hit it with a glaze at the end or just keep it dry throughout the cook? Any tips are much appreciated!

My St Louis-style ribs turned out fantastic yesterday on my WSM. They were the most tender and juicy ribs I've ever had, and they had a great bark and smoke ring. The meat pulled cleanly away from the bone throughout. Here's a pic:

http://imageshack.us/a/img402/4273/imagebrp.jpg

I made a spice rub that consisted primarily of paprika, brown sugar, fresh ground pepper, salt, chile powder, roasted garlic powder, toasted onion powder, and cayenne pepper. I used Lazzari mesquite hardwood lump charcoal and a combination of hickory and peach wood chips. I also occasionally applied a spritzing of a mixture of apple juice, white wine vinegar, and apple cider vinegar during the cook.

I essentially used the 3-2-1 method. About 3 hours on the smoker in a rib rack, 2 hours in an aluminum pan with a little apple juice covered with foil, and another hour back on the smoker uncovered. I also let the heat get pretty high at the end of the cook, which seemed to caramelize the rub into a great bark.

The difference between my new WSM and my old smoker was incredible. I was able to keep a steady, consistent heat throughout the smoke and felt like I could really control the temperature using the vents. It should be a fun summer of smoking.

How did you make out?
Not sure if this was directed at me or Buckfast, but I'll answer. :DFired up the Smokenator for its maiden voyage and was very happy with the outcome. I decided to go with leg quarters and just salt & pepper. Once I got my vents adjusted properly it was just a periodic temp check and adding maybe 10-15 coals halfway through. My smoke time went long for some reason, even though I was chugging along at 225 at the grate... probably a good idea to double-check my thermometer.Tried to do beans on the bottom grate, but evidently since it's cooler down there they didn't get done so I'll throw them in the slow cooker tomorrow.I'll probably do a whole chicken this weekend.

I used the minion method yesterday, and I thought it worked great. I had steady, consistent temperatures throughout the day with little effort. I think that will be my go-to approach from now on.

I'm christening my new WSM with a few racks of St. Louis-style spare ribs this afternoon. This is only my second time smoking ribs. So far, I've removed the membrane, made my BBQ rub, and applied the rub generously to the ribs.Does anyone have good tips for doing ribs? Do you use the 3-2-1 method? Do you use rib racks? Do you spritz the ribs with apple juice or hit it with a glaze at the end or just keep it dry throughout the cook? Any tips are much appreciated!
Buckfast, it really depends on how fall-off-the-bone you want them. Based on what you described that you did and looking at the picture you got extremely fall-off-the-bone. I used to do mine this way. But I have since switched to just doing 5 straight hours with no foiling. Still very tender and very juicy, but they are not-fall-off-the-bone. I really like them better this way. But it is all preference.

Great to hear you had a good first experience with the WSM! It truly is an amazing value when it comes to backyard smokers. Such a pleasure to cook on. Ribs look great. Were they fall off the bone, or require a good tug then pulled clean? For the record "perfect" ribs are more of the latter than the former. Fall off the bone is considered a little "overcooked" by most serious BBQers. Then again, many people prefer them that way and folks should cook to their own taste preferences :)

I'm christening my new WSM with a few racks of St. Louis-style spare ribs this afternoon. This is only my second time smoking ribs. So far, I've removed the membrane, made my BBQ rub, and applied the rub generously to the ribs.Does anyone have good tips for doing ribs? Do you use the 3-2-1 method? Do you use rib racks? Do you spritz the ribs with apple juice or hit it with a glaze at the end or just keep it dry throughout the cook? Any tips are much appreciated!
Buckfast, it really depends on how fall-off-the-bone you want them. Based on what you described that you did and looking at the picture you got extremely fall-off-the-bone. I used to do mine this way. But I have since switched to just doing 5 straight hours with no foiling. Still very tender and very juicy, but they are not-fall-off-the-bone. I really like them better this way. But it is all preference.
Great to hear you had a good first experience with the WSM! It truly is an amazing value when it comes to backyard smokers. Such a pleasure to cook on. Ribs look great. Were they fall off the bone, or require a good tug then pulled clean? For the record "perfect" ribs are more of the latter than the former. Fall off the bone is considered a little "overcooked" by most serious BBQers. Then again, many people prefer them that way and folks should cook to their own taste preferences :)
Yeah, that is why I was asking about the 3-2-1 method yesterday because I did not want to go too far into the "fall off the bone" direction. I've only done ribs once before a few years ago when I was first getting into smoking. That time, I did not foil and I thought they came out a little drier and slightly tougher than I'd like, so that ultimately pushed me towards trying foiling this time. I was actually very satisfied with where these ribs turned out. They weren't quite all the way to "fall off the bone," as they still required just a gentle pull away from the bone. The meat held to the bone sufficiently that you could cut between the ribs and keep nice shape. I would say they were probably right at a midway point between a "good tug to pull clean" and "fall off the bone" on the rib scale. I will definitely try the no foil approach again in the future now that I am more experienced and have better equipment to see how they compare.

>Great to hear you had a good first experience with the WSM! It truly is an amazing value when it comes to backyard smokers. Such a pleasure to cook on. Ribs look great. Were they fall off the bone, or require a good tug then pulled clean? For the record "perfect" ribs are more of the latter than the former. Fall off the bone is considered a little "overcooked" by most serious BBQers. Then again, many people prefer them that way and folks should cook to their own taste preferences :)
Yeah, that is why I was asking about the 3-2-1 method yesterday because I did not want to go too far into the "fall off the bone" direction. I've only done ribs once before a few years ago when I was first getting into smoking. That time, I did not foil and I thought they came out a little drier and slightly tougher than I'd like, so that ultimately pushed me towards trying foiling this time.I was actually very satisfied with where these ribs turned out. They weren't quite all the way to "fall off the bone," as they still required just a gentle pull away from the bone. The meat held to the bone sufficiently that you could cut between the ribs and keep nice shape. I would say they were probably right at a midway point between a "good tug to pull clean" and "fall off the bone" on the rib scale.I will definitely try the no foil approach again in the future now that I am more experienced and have better equipment to see how they compare.
:thumbup:

Sounds like you're well on your way to mastering ribs. Attaboy!

Yeah, that is why I was asking about the 3-2-1 method yesterday because I did not want to go too far into the "fall off the bone" direction. I've only done ribs once before a few years ago when I was first getting into smoking. That time, I did not foil and I thought they came out a little drier and slightly tougher than I'd like, so that ultimately pushed me towards trying foiling this time.

I was actually very satisfied with where these ribs turned out. They weren't quite all the way to "fall off the bone," as they still required just a gentle pull away from the bone. The meat held to the bone sufficiently that you could cut between the ribs and keep nice shape. I would say they were probably right at a midway point between a "good tug to pull clean" and "fall off the bone" on the rib scale.

I will definitely try the no foil approach again in the future now that I am more experienced and have better equipment to see how they compare.
I used to foil mine too but came accross a recipe some had and I havent changed since. After you remove the membrane, trim how you like etc. apply some mustard....then a generous amount of rub and then apply a nice coating of dark brown sugar all over the tops of the ribs and puch down onto the ribs. Do NOT put these on to the smoker until the sugar liquifies on top of the ribs. Once it does just smoke them with whatever wood you prefer for 7 hours--6 for Babby backs and at the 6.5 or 5.5 hour mark apply your favorite BBQ sauce and let them go for the last half an hour. The Brown sugar gives the ribs a sweet, sticky, crispy goodness!

Now i'm drooling

-jb- said:
Something I have not mastered is membrane removal. I've read about it, watched youtube videos about it, and I still struggle. Any tricks or tools?
Once you get a piece off use a paper towel to help with the grip..thats the only trick I'm aware of. When I get them from a butcher or a stiore with a butcher I'll ask them to remove it for me sometimes

>Great to hear you had a good first experience with the WSM! It truly is an amazing value when it comes to backyard smokers. Such a pleasure to cook on. Ribs look great. Were they fall off the bone, or require a good tug then pulled clean? For the record "perfect" ribs are more of the latter than the former. Fall off the bone is considered a little "overcooked" by most serious BBQers. Then again, many people prefer them that way and folks should cook to their own taste preferences :)
Yeah, that is why I was asking about the 3-2-1 method yesterday because I did not want to go too far into the "fall off the bone" direction. I've only done ribs once before a few years ago when I was first getting into smoking. That time, I did not foil and I thought they came out a little drier and slightly tougher than I'd like, so that ultimately pushed me towards trying foiling this time.I was actually very satisfied with where these ribs turned out. They weren't quite all the way to "fall off the bone," as they still required just a gentle pull away from the bone. The meat held to the bone sufficiently that you could cut between the ribs and keep nice shape. I would say they were probably right at a midway point between a "good tug to pull clean" and "fall off the bone" on the rib scale.I will definitely try the no foil approach again in the future now that I am more experienced and have better equipment to see how they compare.
Another option is to still do the 3-2-1 "method" but cut back on the middle 2 part. Maybe go 3-1-1. Play around with it.

:thumbup: Sounds like you're well on your way to mastering ribs. Attaboy!
Thanks! Good luck at the MIM competition this week! It sounds like it is going to be an epic experience.

I hate to brag, but I scooped up a sweet Weber Genesis Silver C this week for $75 off Craigslist.

It's real nice... SS grates, a side burner and it's blue!

Love it.
I must have posted CL in all the others but you can find Webers like the one you stole. I wouldn't assume $75 but if you can shell out $150-$200 you cget a pretty solid used grill and save about 50-75% off the retail price. Granted it's used but still.

Anyone ever cooked on a Weber electric or know anything about that grill? Just curious, a few popped up on CL for around $150 with stand and less than a year old.

Another option is to still do the 3-2-1 "method" but cut back on the middle 2 part. Maybe go 3-1-1. Play around with it.
I have stuck with the 3-2-1 method. My family has destroyed my ribs "Trigg style" as well. (Brown sugar, butter & honey after the foil wrap) All you could hear was lip smacking and finger licking. Literally.

I only leave my ribs in the foil for maybe 30-45 minutes at the most. 2 hours and they come out way too overcooked. I'll let them hang out after the foil for about an hour, but my secret is my last step. I'll sear the ribs over direct heat the last few minutes. It puts a great crust on the outside. And, since I use the brown sugar method and apply honey and squeeze butter during foiling, it carmelizes beautifully and comes out delicious...

In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna slap a Prime Rib on the WSM and see how that comes out! If I remember I'll post some pics for all to see!

In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna slap a Prime Rib on the WSM and see how that comes out! If I remember I'll post some pics for all to see!
This is the recipe I have used. I've done Prime Rib 5 or 6 times and it comes out great every single time.
I'm going to bookmark this one and maybe I'll do two.

Right now I'm thinking about using some thick Worcestershire sauce and covering the roast with Montreal Steak seasoning and letting it sit overnight. After that the plan is to smoke it (undecided on the wood at the moment) until the IT hits around 137 then letting it rest for around 30 minutes while wrapped in some foil. The wife isnt a fan of the pink so I may have to toss her steak on the grill to sear it a bit before serving them.

Its sucks thats we can embed imaged on this site

BurgerGuys:

For all the grilling/smoking that I do, I rarely make "fresh, homemade" burgers. Yes, shoot me. What goes into your favorite burger?

1. Type of beef? Sirloin? Chuck? Mix?

2. Binder--Eggs? Bread crumbs?

The rest I can tinker with. Minced onions, garlic, etc. I just want to build a perfect patty.

TIA

BurgerGuys:

For all the grilling/smoking that I do, I rarely make "fresh, homemade" burgers. Yes, shoot me. What goes into your favorite burger?

The rest I can tinker with. Minced onions, garlic, etc. I just want to build a perfect patty.

TIA
Chuck with maybe 15% flank steak mixed in to add a grassy flavor to the richness of the chuck. Loosely packed. No binder. A little salt and pepper. You've got to grind the meat yourself. Let the meat speak for itself and add anything else as a condiment.

Grinding the meat seems to really be the beginning and end of it. I don't really get it, but my experience is that the rest is nearly immaterial.

Heading down the homestretch of my first big smoke on the big smoker. 208 pounds of butts.

Time for one last cat nap before the pulling and chopping begins.

Tony Jabroni said:
BurgerGuys:

TIA
I get 90% lean sirloin fresh ground from the butcher. They have a "patty press" which spits out perfect 7 oz patties.

I leave them in the fridge right up until I'm ready to put them on the grill (we like ours pink inside). Thumb indent the middle of each patty. Lightly brush both sides with olive oil. Dust both sides with garlic powder, fresh ground pepper and kosher salt. Cook direct over hot coals for 3-4 min on first side, flip and cook for 2 more minutes, add cheese and cook for an additional 1 minute covered.

Perfect every time.

ETA: Burgers are the ONLY thing I grill that I'm happy with every time.

Tony Jabroni said:
BurgerGuys:

TIA
I'm a ground chuck guy, 80-20 works best and I tend to stuff my burgers and often cook these for Football Sundays. I have a burger press, press out about a 4 ounce burger and then place my stuffings in the middle and then press another 4 ounce patty on that, then I mark them using toothpicks. Season with salt and pepper, no binders

no pick- regular ole burger

1 pick- Stuffed with cheese, typically jack, pepper jack or queso

2 picks- cheese and salsa

3 picks- cheese and grilled jalapenos

This is the recipe I have used. I've done Prime Rib 5 or 6 times and it comes out great every single time.

Right now I'm thinking about using some thick Worcestershire sauce and covering the roast with Montreal Steak seasoning and letting it sit overnight. After that the plan is to smoke it (undecided on the wood at the moment) until the IT hits around 137 then letting it rest for around 30 minutes while wrapped in some foil. The wife isnt a fan of the pink so I may have to toss her steak on the grill to sear it a bit before serving them.

I did this for Christmas Eve using Fanatic's "reverse searing" method. I think I let the internal temp get to about 110, fired my Weber Genesis up to about 800 degrees, then put the roast on the grill just enough to let it get some flame. A few seconds per side.

Great smoke flavor, and a nice char on the outside of the rib.

I use a wet rub of worcestershire, OO, mexican peppers, salt, pepper, garlic powder, turns out nice

http://public.fotki.com/Meglamaniac/christmas-09/dsc04439.html

Users who are viewing this thread