What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official 2014 Chicago Bears Thread **** (1 Viewer)

We couldn't be any further apart there. Shea looked terrible all year and showed very little progression imo. Won't start on an NFL team again after this year. He gone
Shea will be on the roster next year. And if he is healthy he will be one of the starting outside linebackers.

The Willie Young injury is the worst thing to happen to this team since beating TB

Hard to imagine him being ready by opening day next year

We couldn't be any further apart there. Shea looked terrible all year and showed very little progression imo. Won't start on an NFL team again after this year. He gone
flap, I get the feeling if you don't see a player light it up every single week, then he's worthless in your eyes.

big game next week. 5 teams have 6 wins, currently the bears are the #7 pick with 5 wins. but maybe even bigger...winner plays saints/giants next season, loser plays bucs/redskins

Why is so much bandwidth spent on Shea McClellin when Harbaugh might be on the way..... :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:
Does anyone really thing there is a chance that Harbaugh comes to Chicago? I would love to see it, but I don't think it is likely. They would have to give up a draft pick and pay him a lot of dough. That on top of paying Trestman to go away.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
Why is so much bandwidth spent on Shea McClellin when Harbaugh might be on the way..... :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:
Does anyone really thing there is a chance that Harbaugh comes to Chicago? I would love to see it, but I don't think it is likely. They would have to give up a draft pick and pay him a lot of dough. That on top of paying Trestman to go away.
Way too expensive for Bears and too much personality for the ownership.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
I think you are right. I'm curious what the problem is between Harbaugh and management in SF.

DaveL said:
big game next week. 5 teams have 6 wins, currently the bears are the #7 pick with 5 wins. but maybe even bigger...winner plays saints/giants next season, loser plays bucs/redskins
Sweet. Both RG3 and Cutler would play their former teams.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
I think you are right. I'm curious what the problem is between Harbaugh and management in SF.
There is also a big logistical difficulty with the bears this year. With Harbaugh not in the playoffs, if he is released, teams will go after him quickly. If the bears actually do fire the GM, we will need to get a management staff in place before they can begin looking at coaches. That could make it difficult to get some of the coaches that will go in the first week or so.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
He's a great coach but so big of an ####### that it's not worth it to some owners. The Bears hate that sort of thing. Ditka was the last fiery guy we had and everyone knows how poorly that ended.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
There is also a big logistical difficulty with the bears this year. With Harbaugh not in the playoffs, if he is released, teams will go after him quickly. If the bears actually do fire the GM, we will need to get a management staff in place before they can begin looking at coaches. That could make it difficult to get some of the coaches that will go in the first week or so.
Unless you give him complete control.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
I'd like to see Harbaugh here, he's a very good coach. May not happen though. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Bears go after Sean Peyton if NO decides to go in a different direction. Or Mike Smith from Atlanta. From the coordinator ranks, I'd like to see them go after Dan Quinn, the D coordinator from Seattle, but I think we need someone with experience to regain the respect in the locker room.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
I really think giving any coach complete control is a mistake. Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells ruined that for other teams. They both were really good in personnel matters. Most coaches are not. The GM position and the head coach position are two different jobs. Just because you are a good coach doesn't mean you will be a good GM.

I think that Harbaugh wouldn't find this position attractive because there isn't much to build around. When Harbaugh came to the Niners there was a lot of talent on the roster but the team was underperforming. The Bears don't have much talent and they are still underperforming. In addition, if the Bears keep Cutler Harbaugh would have to deal with him. If they get rid of Cutler then Harbaugh would have to work with a retread or the Bears would have to draft a QB and Harbaugh has to start grooming a rookie. That is ignoring the issues with money and compensation. Harbaugh would have to feel a really strong loyalty to the Bears to even consider taking their head coaching job.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
He's a great coach but so big of an ####### that it's not worth it to some owners. The Bears hate that sort of thing. Ditka was the last fiery guy we had and everyone knows how poorly that ended.
1) you don't know him, so you're regurgitating the same stuff other people say. Jim is passionate and competitive.

2) how has it been since ditka? Wanny, jauron, lovie, trestman

Ditka had 7 winning seasons out of 11

Post ditka had 8 winning seasons out of 22

I'll take harbaugh

You Bears fans sure are gluttons for punishment. Calling for Locker to be the new QB with Mike Smith coaching the team? I wouldn't wish that on the Eagles. Well, maybe I would....

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
1) you don't know him, so you're regurgitating the same stuff other people say. Jim is passionate and competitive.

2) how has it been since ditka? Wanny, jauron, lovie, trestman

I'll take harbaugh
I would love to have Harbaugh. I think his fiery demeanor would be much more of a problem for the Bears front office than it would be for the fans. The fans would love it. And I think Harbaugh would go a long way to turning this franchise around. I just don't think it is going to happen for all the reasons stated above. The Bears are going to be reluctant to pay the kind of money they would have to pay to get him. The whole GM thing has to be settled, before they can hire a coach. Chances are Harbaugh will be off the market by the time the Bears are ready to hire a coach.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
Harbaugh is a great coach, but has never been a NFL personnel guy. I don't think that is a chance you make, and if you want to build this team right, I think you need to build mgmt. down, not try and force a new coach on your football mgmt.

So here is another question, if you had to move quick to get Harbaugh, would you be willing to keep Emory as GM if that would allow you to get him? Interesting question there.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
Harbaugh is a great coach, but has never been a NFL personnel guy. I don't think that is a chance you make, and if you want to build this team right, I think you need to build mgmt. down, not try and force a new coach on your football mgmt.

So here is another question, if you had to move quick to get Harbaugh, would you be willing to keep Emory as GM if that would allow you to get him? Interesting question there.
As a Packers fan I will tell you the #1 most important part of a NFL team is the GM. Without the GM it doesn't matter who you trot out there on Sundays overtime you will become worse and worse. Just look at the Packers over the past 20+ years.

1991 - Ron Wolf (worse season 8-8 at the end of Ron Wolf's reign)

2001 - Mike Sherman (2001-2005 Sherman slowly degrades the Packers to a 4-12 team)

2005 - Ted Thompson (slowly rebuilds through the draft after the bare cupboard)

So while Mike Sherman won 4 NFC Divsion championships as the GM he also killed the future of the organization through poor roster and team management.

I hate the bears like most people (come on bears fans you know you hate them too haha) but if they ever want to be good and I mean a really good solid team it starts up top.

I think you pass on Harbaugh if you are required to keep the GM.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
1) you don't know him, so you're regurgitating the same stuff other people say. Jim is passionate and competitive.2) how has it been since ditka? Wanny, jauron, lovie, trestman

I'll take harbaugh
Why would 49ers be running him out of town then? He's a top 5/10 coach. I would love the hire. We're all regurgitating things from others. None of us know any of them.

DaveL said:
Thanks, Falcons & Giants!

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:
1) you don't know him, so you're regurgitating the same stuff other people say. Jim is passionate and competitive.2) how has it been since ditka? Wanny, jauron, lovie, trestman

I'll take harbaugh
Why would 49ers be running him out of town then? He's a top 5/10 coach. I would love the hire. We're all regurgitating things from others. None of us know any of them.
Bleacher Report has been posting stories about Harbaugh likely being gone since the end of preseason. Biggest reason is that he doesn't get along with management.

b/r Team Stream app is the shiznit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clausen is out this sunday with a concussion, I was surprised he didn't get pulled from that game after that hit... not sure who is in to start, likely cutler, though should probably be Fales to see if we have anything. With Cutler I think we can beat Minn and lose our #7 draft pick, especially if D still plays pretty hard like they did on Sunday.

Not after the way they scored 35 on MIA on the road. Put Fales in. Done with Bobblehead (Cutler). Go to a chiropractor or something.

Cutler is officially back... I'm not anti cutler at all, but hell, we already benched him once, let's just get a look at Fales in a real game. Does he have anything to bother keeping him around for the future...

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:

I'll take harbaugh
They're running him out because of front office ego.

Maybe you don't know them, don't speak for others.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:

I'll take harbaugh
They're running him out because of front office ego.

Maybe you don't know them, don't speak for others.
I think you both are right. I believe Flap is correct, it's pretty universally agreed among analysts and media that Harbaugh is difficult to work with to people above, but his work with players is always pretty well received. That is a lot of the source of the tension. Now the fact that they are ignoring that he has been a great coach and looking at getting rid of him that easy assuming they won't miss a step is complete ego on Balke's part. I think they 49'ers will regret this move, but who knows.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:

I'll take harbaugh
if belichick can be run out of town, who's safe?

Cutler starting again? Lol, what a circus. The only outcome that wouldn't shock me is that Cutler gets injured in the final game, wiping out any possibility of trade/cut forcing the Bears to keep him under contract another year.

Scrolling though my Facebook feed, reading the comments the average fan posts to the bears articles.. The average fan thinks this game was actually "Clausen kept it close, plays with so much heart, and should be the starter next season."

I either need to quit reading facebook posts or find a team whos fan base isn't sharing a single brain cell.

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:

I'll take harbaugh
They're running him out because of front office ego.Maybe you don't know them, don't speak for others.
lol

True

twistd said:
Paulymaggs said:

I'll take harbaugh
if belichick can be run out of town, who's safe?
true

Cutler starting again? Lol, what a circus. The only outcome that wouldn't shock me is that Cutler gets injured in the final game, wiping out any possibility of trade/cut forcing the Bears to keep him under contract another year.
This makes no sense at all. Bench him and then start him? What the hell are they doing?!?

Scrolling though my Facebook feed, reading the comments the average fan posts to the bears articles.. The average fan thinks this game was actually "Clausen kept it close, plays with so much heart, and should be the starter next season."

I either need to quit reading facebook posts or find a team whos fan base isn't sharing a single brain cell.
That is nuts. Lucky on a roughing the kicker call and a fumble on muffed punt. He did nothing either.

Our coach has no reason to give fales a look, the bears org does, but trestman has no interest in what is good for the bears org at this point. He says that cutler gives the team the best chance to win and that is more important to his future than checking out our rookie QB.

Once the decision to fire him was made public the should have just done it and not let him change priorities from team to him.

Feel bad for Jimmy. He played pretty good for a guy that has not practiced with the first team all year. He was fiery but level headed. No stupid mistakes. No lame sulking and shrugging like he would rather be anywhere else. Made some nice, clutch throws and got no help at all on 7 or 8 ridiculous drops. Hope he's back as the backup next year.

“I feel really bad for Jay,” Gould said. “When you’re having a tough season like this, he’s not the guy to be the scapegoat or the guy to blame. There’re a lot of guys you can put that blame on.

“You could bench the whole team. It’s not like anybody’s really played fantastic or great. We’re 5-10 now. It’s not like Jay’s the problem. Jay’s not the issue. I hope he’s back next year for us.”
Robbie, you've been a nice kicker here, but ####. Talk about being blind to the situation. Highest paid player in the league this year, so yeah, he is the guy to blame. No leadership ability at the position where it's supposed to come from. There's not a good thing to say about Cutler if we're being perfectly honest.

Users who are viewing this thread