What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official 2014 Chicago Bears Thread **** (1 Viewer)

Thank God....finally. I've been calling for Clausen for over a month probably...never imagined it would happen.

I have to see if Trestman is for real. I have a feeling this disaster has been all Jay being an uncoachable doosh.
This is Trestman trying to save his job.
Of course....why wouldn't he? He's desperate and has to do something. Cutler sucks bad so why not?
Because there's no point. What will it accomplish? Clausen isn't the answer to anything. It doesn't make sense.
Have to get into Trestmans head. If Clausen looks good and they win or look competent, he will at least have that to fight for his job.Why do you care? You want to see Cutler....you haven't seen enough? I hope I never see him start another game in a Bear uniform.
It's not that I want to see Cutler. We all know the deal now. I'd like know the reason behind starting Clausen. It's not like we're benching our newly paid starting QB for Tom Brady in waiting. Clausen is a career backup at best, maybe not even that. His performance won't affect Trestman's future. The team is completely in the tank and it's not all on Cutler. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Trestman showed up in a shootout at a convenient store sometime soon. The dude has gone completely insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can any Bear fan have a problem with this? Only problem I have is that it's too late. Cutler isn't a winning qb.

Sure the D sucks even more than him but there is only so much you can do during the season about a D loaded with losers. He could've canned Tucker? Definitely should've. But let's be honest that wouldn't have made much of a difference.
I have a big problem with the soon to be fired lame duck head coach benching the highly paid starting QB for a dude who wasn't on a team last year and hasn't played in a game in 4 years. If you're going to bench your franchise qb, you better a good alternative. It doesn't make sense.

:lmao: I'm excited to see what happens but this is still funny:

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver 8m8 minutes ago

What I just said on @nflnetwork : Bears offensive players believe Clausen will 'light it up,' simply because he'll run offense as prescribed
That's a bull#### report.

Conclusion: There is genuine disbelief inside #Bears' locker room that Cutler got benched & Aaron Kromer only received slap on the wrist.

back in the 90s the cleveland browns hired a rookie head coach after winning only 3 games one year.

after a little improvement, and a couple years on the job, this guy made the controversial move of cutting their starting qb, bernie kosar, who was kind of a big name in cleveland at the time.

despite taking all kinds of grief from guys like you via telegraph, or whatever people used back then, this novice coach got them to the playoffs the following year with 11 wins.

it took maybe 4 years, but he took that team from 3 wins to 11 wins, and then was very fortunately fired despite this.

maybe they should've stuck with him -- just sayin'
#### yeah, trestman :hifive:

dude's goin' down firing

Clausen 1-9 in 10 starts. Threw 3 TDs/9 INTs, for league-worst Total QBR of 11.0

Total QBR lowest in of 9 seasons stat has been tracked.

flapgreen said:
RBM said:
How can any Bear fan have a problem with this? Only problem I have is that it's too late. Cutler isn't a winning qb.

Sure the D sucks even more than him but there is only so much you can do during the season about a D loaded with losers. He could've canned Tucker? Definitely should've. But let's be honest that wouldn't have made much of a difference.
I have a big problem with the soon to be fired lame duck head coach benching the highly paid starting QB for a dude who wasn't on a team last year and hasn't played in a game in 4 years. If you're going to bench your franchise qb, you better a good alternative. It doesn't make sense.
Mostly, I agree with you. On the one hand Cutler sort of deserves to get benched. His play has regressed over the course of the year. But you are right, what exactly does this accomplish? You are absolutely right that Clausen is not really a professional quarterback. If Trestman truly believed in Clausen he should have turned to him a month ago when the Bears still had a shot at the playoffs. It is just another instance of Trestman demonstrating that he isn't a head coach. Could this be any more of a train wreck?

so, in week 2, when the bears were still in the hunt, you'd have no problem with cutler being benched, or you'd be crying on here about what an idiot trestman is?

so, in week 2, when the bears were still in the hunt, you'd have no problem with cutler being benched, or you'd be crying on here about what an idiot trestman is?
If you just signed Cutler to a $126 million contract with $54 million guaranteed and you then benched him after one game, yes you would be classified as an idiot. Not to mention the organization would have your head. If benching Cutler was the solution Trestman should have done it after the Green Bay game, in week 10, when Cutler had a QBR of 6. He threw for 272 yards but only one TD and had 2 INTs. That was Cutler's third bad game in a row. They had lost three in a row and it was their third loss by double digits. That was their second blow out loss. They were 3-6, but with a miracle you still have a shot at the playoffs. Doing something then might have made a difference. Now it is kind like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

I don't think Clausen will fair very well against that Detroit pass rush. But we will have to wait and see.

flapgreen said:
Clausen 1-9 in 10 starts. Threw 3 TDs/9 INTs, for league-worst Total QBR of 11.0

What was McCowns record coming into last year?

I don't know if I read this correctly, but I think this says that if Cutler was cut this year it would create $38 million in dead money. But if Cutler was cut after next year it looks like there would only be $3 million in dead money in 2016. That could mean he is expendable after next year without an enormous cap hit. If anyone reads this differently please comment.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler/

Tanking is unseemly in any league. Time for a change of ownership for the good of the league if not the team.
I really wish that would happen but I think there is little chance the McCaskeys give up the team. This team is a cash cow for them that continues to rise in value. I'm afraid we are stuck with them.

flapgreen said:

He was a teacher and pretty much outperformed Cutler. I'm all in on starting anyone not named Cutler.
You think Clausen gives the team a better chance to win than Cutler?

flapgreen said:
RBM said:
flapgreen said:
RBM said:
flapgreen said:
RBM said:
Thank God....finally. I've been calling for Clausen for over a month probably...never imagined it would happen.

I have to see if Trestman is for real. I have a feeling this disaster has been all Jay being an uncoachable doosh.
Of course....why wouldn't he? He's desperate and has to do something. Cutler sucks bad so why not?
Because there's no point. What will it accomplish? Clausen isn't the answer to anything. It doesn't make sense.
Have to get into Trestmans head. If Clausen looks good and they win or look competent, he will at least have that to fight for his job.Why do you care? You want to see Cutler....you haven't seen enough? I hope I never see him start another game in a Bear uniform.
It's not that I want to see Cutler. We all know the deal now. I'd like know the reason behind starting Clausen. It's not like we're benching our newly paid starting QB for Tom Brady in waiting. Clausen is a career backup at best, maybe not even that. His performance won't affect Trestman's future. The team is completely in the tank and it's not all on Cutler. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Trestman showed up in a shootout at a convenient store sometime soon. The dude has gone completely insane.
This. Starting Clausen does absolutely nothing. Nothing. If you want to bench Cutler, start Fales.

Trestman is doing this for no reason other than to save his job, in which I would have fired him on the spot.

flapgreen said:

He was a teacher and pretty much outperformed Cutler. I'm all in on starting anyone not named Cutler.
I don't really know. What I do know is how Cutler has been playing and what chance he gives the Bears to win. I'll take anything other than that. I can't help but think about Trestman's QB guru lore and how effective a teacher was last year, then compare that with how Cutler just constantly repeats the same fundamental pee wee league mistakes. We've seen the best that Jay can do, and it's a coin-toss if you'll ever see it on any given sunday. Why not try a different QB who might actually try to read a defense, find the open man, make accurate passses, and protect the ball?

I don't think that Clausen is the answer, but I know for a fact Jay isn't. I'm sure Trestman is ticked off his offense has been crippled by Jay so he's doing this as a FU to everyone. If Clausen performs coupled with McCown's performance maybe people will realize Cutler's been a huge problem. Trestman is getting fired anyway. If Clausen doesn't perform then people will say benching Cutler hurt his psyche and was a bad move. Trestman will get fired anyway. Regardless, anything that gets Cutler out from under center and preferrably out of Bears uniform is OK with me. Like I said before, I still think Trestman is a good offensive coach, I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to design a gameplan and have the 100 million dollar man execute it like a 5 year old playing Madden.

Can you think of any Bears player who has ever been more hated by Bear fans than Cutler is?

In the Tribune Brad Biggs says that there is language in Cutler's contract that if the Bears cut him after this season they would owe Cutler $15.5 million for 2015. However if Cutler signs for $5 million with another team that offsets $5 million of what the Bears owe him. That would help ease the hit. Another thing he mentioned is that he spoke to agents for two of the coordinators being mentioned as head coaching candidates, and both agents said that Cutler's presence on the team would scare off their clients from considering the Bears job. So Cutler's presence on the team will make it much harder to find a new coach or a new offensive coordinator. The plot thickens.

and for the record...sources told Schefter this? SOURCES. Did nothing get learned after last week's mess? This news came out THREE HOURS after Trestman's press conference.

flapgreen said:

I don't really know. What I do know is how Cutler has been playing and what chance he gives the Bears to win. I'll take anything other than that. I can't help but think about Trestman's QB guru lore and how effective a teacher was last year, then compare that with how Cutler just constantly repeats the same fundamental pee wee league mistakes. We've seen the best that Jay can do, and it's a coin-toss if you'll ever see it on any given sunday. Why not try a different QB who might actually try to read a defense, find the open man, make accurate passses, and protect the ball?I don't think that Clausen is the answer, but I know for a fact Jay isn't. I'm sure Trestman is ticked off his offense has been crippled by Jay so he's doing this as a FU to everyone. If Clausen performs coupled with McCown's performance maybe people will realize Cutler's been a huge problem. Trestman is getting fired anyway. If Clausen doesn't perform then people will say benching Cutler hurt his psyche and was a bad move. Trestman will get fired anyway. Regardless, anything that gets Cutler out from under center and preferrably out of Bears uniform is OK with me. Like I said before, I still think Trestman is a good offensive coach, I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to design a gameplan and have the 100 million dollar man execute it like a 5 year old playing Madden.
:goodposting: Perfectly stated.

flapgreen said:
RBM said:
flapgreen said:
RBM said:
flapgreen said:
RBM said:

This. Starting Clausen does absolutely nothing. Nothing. If you want to bench Cutler, start Fales.

Trestman is doing this for no reason other than to save his job, in which I would have fired him on the spot.
Exactly.

flapgreen said:

Probably not but I think in a town that always roots for the backup qb, many will. I think it is important to see how Clausen operates the offense as it is meant to be implemented instead of the numerous reports about Jay operating his version of it. So in that regard I think we may find some answers.

flapgreen said:

I don't really know. What I do know is how Cutler has been playing and what chance he gives the Bears to win. I'll take anything other than that. I can't help but think about Trestman's QB guru lore and how effective a teacher was last year, then compare that with how Cutler just constantly repeats the same fundamental pee wee league mistakes. We've seen the best that Jay can do, and it's a coin-toss if you'll ever see it on any given sunday. Why not try a different QB who might actually try to read a defense, find the open man, make accurate passses, and protect the ball?I don't think that Clausen is the answer, but I know for a fact Jay isn't. I'm sure Trestman is ticked off his offense has been crippled by Jay so he's doing this as a FU to everyone. If Clausen performs coupled with McCown's performance maybe people will realize Cutler's been a huge problem. Trestman is getting fired anyway. If Clausen doesn't perform then people will say benching Cutler hurt his psyche and was a bad move. Trestman will get fired anyway. Regardless, anything that gets Cutler out from under center and preferrably out of Bears uniform is OK with me. Like I said before, I still think Trestman is a good offensive coach, I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to design a gameplan and have the 100 million dollar man execute it like a 5 year old playing Madden.
:goodposting: Perfectly stated.
Yep. My thoughts too.

flapgreen said:

Probably not but I think in a town that always roots for the backup qb, many will. I think it is important to see how Clausen operates the offense as it is meant to be implemented instead of the numerous reports about Jay operating his version of it. So in that regard I think we may find some answers.
There are no answers to be found. It really doesn't matter if Clausen operates the offense better. Clausen is not your answer at QB. This simply assures that Trestman, Emery, and most of the staff will be fired. This does mean that it is more likely that Cutler will be gone, either traded or cut. We will see how happy Bear fans are watching Mark Sanchez under center next year.

Currently my biggest hope is that if they are blowing things up as much as it looks like, Cutler, Emory, Trestman, and all others gone. Owners can't possibly say "OK Ted what do you have for us next?" Can they??? I would think owners would just HAVE to get involved and get a football executive to start handling this stuff. They blew probably almost 75M in 2 years for nothing because of the decisions that started from him.

flapgreen said:

There are no answers to be found. It really doesn't matter if Clausen operates the offense better. Clausen is not your answer at QB. This simply assures that Trestman, Emery, and most of the staff will be fired. This does mean that it is more likely that Cutler will be gone, either traded or cut. We will see how happy Bear fans are watching Mark Sanchez under center next year.
I disagree. If marginal talents such as McCown and Clausen can run this offense and put the Bears in a better position to win than the super ultra talented Cutler who despite this super ultra talent continues to make the same mistakes over and over, I think it says a lot as to what happened to the offense this year. But that's my opinion and something I am interested in seeing play out.

I have supported Cutler for years and used all of the same excuses as support (multiple coordinators, no line, no WRs, etc) and, granted, many are true. However, it's never Cutler's fault and enough's enough. We saw what happened when McCown came in last year. I am just curious to see if the same thing happens when Clausen comes in. If he somehow makes the offense work then maybe it's less of a fluke. In that case, regardless of whether Clausen is the answer or not, someone considered not super ultra talented like Sanchez may actually work out better for this offense.

That said..if Trestman is indeed leaving it may not provide all of the answers for the future because everything is up for grabs. Except that this will now be the 4th coordinator/system that Jay couldn't make work - including his personally chosen guy Jeremy Bates. What makes you think a 5th will finally get through to him, helps correct the same mistakes he has made for years, and put him on the right path unless Cutler takes this benching to heart?

This team is a joke and a laughing stock. Sign a QB to $100+ million. His OC chirps like a freaking bird how much he doesn't like him, then they bench him.

If everyone in the front office - up to and including - Emery isn't canned in 10 days (or there about), things will only get worse.

Frankly I don't care if you trade Cutler (whoever thinks the Bears will cut $100+ million QB with his arm is insane) or keep him. But if you do keep him, you damn well better bring an offense that will use Jay's abilities (athleticism, strong arm, etc.) without trying to make him fit into a system that is designed around a different type of QB.

I realize Cutler has been bad - poor audibles, inaccurate passes, bad reads, etc. But when was the last time we saw a designed roll out? And he has no speed WRs to take the top off a defense. He is absolutely NOT perfect. But there is a reason he made a Pro Bowl in Denver. He does have positives - and if you're stuck with him, you better find an offense that accentuates those instead of ignores them. Yes, I realize he has major weaknesses in his game - but again, THANKS TO PHIL, we're probably stuck with him - so run an offense that minimizes them as much as possible. You're not going to tell Randy Johnson to "paint the corners" or Greg Maddux to "bring the heat" (not that Jay is nearly as good as either of those guys).

Bunch of dopes at Hallas Hall.

Oh, one other thing - I think benching Cutler is a desperate attempt to scape-goat him and detract attention away from how horrible the Bears have been on special teams, defense and what a disaster their "coaching" has been.

See the "fake punt" - not just the 10 men on the field thing. The Bears had 4 offensive linemen in for that play that DO NOT NORMALLY play on special teams. If that aint stupid coaching (along with the 10 men thing, of course), I don't know what is. Why not just walk over and tell the Saints you're going to be faking it - oh wait, they practically did. That's like yelling "I have pocket ACES! I have pocket ACES!!!" Of course, the 10 men thing is like folding right after announcing it...

No one is going to take this type of benching to heart, especially not Jay.
it's one thing if it happens during a game and you can talk about having a rough game just decided to get him out of there and see if that could spark something. This means the team is done with him I think.

flapgreen said:

I disagree. If marginal talents such as McCown and Clausen can run this offense and put the Bears in a better position to win than the super ultra talented Cutler who despite this super ultra talent continues to make the same mistakes over and over, I think it says a lot as to what happened to the offense this year. But that's my opinion and something I am interested in seeing play out.

I have supported Cutler for years and used all of the same excuses as support (multiple coordinators, no line, no WRs, etc) and, granted, many are true. However, it's never Cutler's fault and enough's enough. We saw what happened when McCown came in last year. I am just curious to see if the same thing happens when Clausen comes in. If he somehow makes the offense work then maybe it's less of a fluke. In that case, regardless of whether Clausen is the answer or not, someone considered not super ultra talented like Sanchez may actually work out better for this offense.

That said..if Trestman is indeed leaving it may not provide all of the answers for the future because everything is up for grabs. Except that this will now be the 4th coordinator/system that Jay couldn't make work - including his personally chosen guy Jeremy Bates. What makes you think a 5th will finally get through to him, helps correct the same mistakes he has made for years, and put him on the right path unless Cutler takes this benching to heart?
Clausen is epic-ally bad. It is not even a close comparison between him and McCown. Before McCown came to Chicago he had a 37 - 44 td to int ratio. Clausen is at 3 - 9. That is way, way worse. Clausen also had 9 fumbles in 13 games!!! It is crazy that he is even on a roster at this point. Add in the fact that there are more than a few players on the Bears who have flat out quit and the Lions desperately need this game. I am predicting a terrible scene.

Someone reputable on twitter opined that the benching was to make sure that Cutler didn't get hurt so that the Bears could trade him. Seems a bit farfetched to me. I'll see if I can dig up the exact tweet.

Someone reputable on twitter opined that the benching was to make sure that Cutler didn't get hurt so that the Bears could trade him. Seems a bit farfetched to me. I'll see if I can dig up the exact tweet.
its the last couple paragraphs on the ESPN story right now. But I think ESPN cited a release and not a trade.

flapgreen said:

I disagree. If marginal talents such as McCown and Clausen can run this offense and put the Bears in a better position to win than the super ultra talented Cutler who despite this super ultra talent continues to make the same mistakes over and over, I think it says a lot as to what happened to the offense this year. But that's my opinion and something I am interested in seeing play out. I have supported Cutler for years and used all of the same excuses as support (multiple coordinators, no line, no WRs, etc) and, granted, many are true. However, it's never Cutler's fault and enough's enough. We saw what happened when McCown came in last year. I am just curious to see if the same thing happens when Clausen comes in. If he somehow makes the offense work then maybe it's less of a fluke. In that case, regardless of whether Clausen is the answer or not, someone considered not super ultra talented like Sanchez may actually work out better for this offense.

Clausen is epic-ally bad. It is not even a close comparison between him and McCown. Before McCown came to Chicago he had a 37 - 44 td to int ratio. Clausen is at 3 - 9. That is way, way worse. Clausen also had 9 fumbles in 13 games!!! It is crazy that he is even on a roster at this point. Add in the fact that there are more than a few players on the Bears who have flat out quit and the Lions desperately need this game. I am predicting a terrible scene.
More terrible than the scene Monday? I doubt it.

I'm enjoying this. For all the stress that team has placed its fan base under this year, they deserve to be at least tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail.

No one on that team deserves any sympathy as they have no pride. There is not a single man left in that locker room, just a bunch of prima donnas having their own individual pity parties.

It's bad enough that Trestman shows no leadership, but there are absolutely ZERO players that have stepped up to fill that void. They deserve to be ridiculed and scorned by the league and their fans.

At this point in time they are the worst organization in the history of the NFL.

Burn baby, BURN !!!!!

You do realize you're basing Clausen's stats on events that happened 4 years ago right? And Cutler this year has had 12 fumbles in 14 games? I agree Clausen probably won't be able to step right in and lead the NFL in turnovers, but seriously, how much worse can he do than Cutler?

Frankly I don't care if you trade Cutler (whoever thinks the Bears will cut $100+ million QB with his arm is insane) or keep him. But if you do keep him, you damn well better bring an offense that will use Jay's abilities (athleticism, strong arm, etc.) without trying to make him fit into a system that is designed around a different type of QB.

I realize Cutler has been bad - poor audibles, inaccurate passes, bad reads, etc. But when was the last time we saw a designed roll out? And he has no speed WRs to take the top off a defense. He is absolutely NOT perfect. But there is a reason he made a Pro Bowl in Denver. He does have positives - and if you're stuck with him, you better find an offense that accentuates those instead of ignores them. Yes, I realize he has major weaknesses in his game - but again, THANKS TO PHIL, we're probably stuck with him - so run an offense that minimizes them as much as possible.
Love your optimism, but at some point you're going to have to let it go. How many different systems need to be tried before it finally sinks in that Cutler is just not a good NFL quarterback? And just for the record, are you really saying he doesn't have enough receiving weapons? I know a system that will minimize Jay's staring down receivers, inability to decode defenses, inaccuracy, poor decision making, and lousy mechanics, but rushing only offenses quit being effective in 1906.

Other than injury, is there any reason to think the Bears aren't primed for a record-setting offensive display in 2014?
Jay Cutler...

Not a fan of the contract. Could've saved money, spent it on defense, given McCown a two year contract and brought in a rookie to sit and learn.
Put in your resume for the new GM of the Bears?
Lol, I was looking for this quote the other day and got sidetracked. That hopeful promise filled post should be all the proof anyone needs to know I'm just some stupid dude with an opinion and a keyboard.

A couple questions for Bears fans:

With Clausen starting has your desire to watch the 2 remaining games increased or decreased?

Increased

Do you think the Bears have a better, same, or worse chance to win their remaining games?

Same

With Clausen starting has your desire to watch the 2 remaining games increased or decreased?

Increased

Do you think the Bears have a better, same, or worse chance to win their remaining games?

Same
Severely decreased, to the point where I gave my tickets away after not being able to sell for half face.

Same, but it's hurt the franchise long term

Increased

Same
I haven't missed an entire Bears game (whether on purpose or by accident) in roughly 30 years. My twin boys were born on a Sunday morning, I still remember watching part of the Bears/Vikings 3rd quarter in the hospital waiting room.

If I was going to stop watching the Bears due to horrible QB play, I would have stopped after Jimmy McMahon retired.

Users who are viewing this thread