What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Sandbaggers should be banned for life. If they don't require a usga certified card then this happens and even them people skew

I have limited experience, but handicaps are becoming a joke to me. Curious to know if other more experienced players see similar stuff.

I've been tracking mine accurately for almost three years now. Played in a few events where prizes went to gross and net. Have to admit it seems pointless. In every event so far there has been at least two or three guys that play so far below their handicap it feels rigged. In each case were talking 10 shots below. Guy I played with plays to a 13. He shot 2 over in a round. WTF?

Maybe its just the course I play at where they don't do anything about it?
That shouldn't happen. At my club the handicap committee is very active. And baggers get hounded mercilessly. We also have rules in the Men's Golf Association where if you win an event, you lose 10% of your handicap in the next event.

Need some outing advice. My buddy and I starting putting on an outing for some suppliers and work friends at the end of every season. Started out with 16 players and has grown to 40. It is a 2 man team. First 3 holes on each nine is a scramble, next 3 best ball, last 3 alternate shot. Then repeat on the back nine. Every man puts in 20.00 for skins and 20.00 for closest to on the 4 par 3s and prize money. The first few year all the golfers were basically pretty much the same level and the winning score was around a 76-76. The alternate shot is where most teams struggled and lost strokes.

The last two years my buddy asked some guys from out league to join to make it bigger. Of course the two best players who are both former teaching PGAs club pros on our league one is a -1, and the other scratch formed a team. Last year their winning score was a 68, mind you both of these guys would shoot a 72 or so playing their own ball. This year in the pouring rain and howling wind they shoot a 69, second place was 76, third 77 and fourth 78. They won 3 of the four skins that were out and stepped on a couple of others, Took 2 of the 4 closest to, and left with around 350.00 each.

3-4 teams came up to me and said they would not return if the "pros" played next year.

How can we handicap an outing like this? Out of 20 two man teams 16 or so are pretty even on a given day using this format. A couple may be a little better, and the last one way better than all. Both are great guys but you can tell they are licking their chops to play in this.

The ideas were just to ban them from playing, make them split up and assign a weaker play to each. Or start them +3 on the first hole. Even at a +3 start they would still win. This has always been a really fun day but now people are disgruntled and I understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have limited experience, but handicaps are becoming a joke to me. Curious to know if other more experienced players see similar stuff.

I've been tracking mine accurately for almost three years now. Played in a few events where prizes went to gross and net. Have to admit it seems pointless. In every event so far there has been at least two or three guys that play so far below their handicap it feels rigged. In each case were talking 10 shots below. Guy I played with plays to a 13. He shot 2 over in a round. WTF?

Maybe its just the course I play at where they don't do anything about it?
That's crappy to hear. I know in my local tournaments there is some process for challenging a person's handicap and some of the tourneys require a USGA (which, I believe, requires some sort of "club" oversight and verification and any tourneys will always be inputted accurately as a tournament score).

Thanks for the input. Sounds like its just he place I play the most and not a common thing. That's encouraging.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like its just he place I play the most and not a common thing. That's encouraging.
Yeah the club I play in is really good about policing it mercilessly. Also, the USGA system really emphasizes tourney scores (I think they stay in the calculation for like a year) so it's really nice knowing that your opponents' handicaps are correct.

Member guest starts Thursday :thumbup:

One of my favorite weekends of the year.
Had the ultimate ham and egg round today. my guest is a +1 that hits it a mile. I'm a zero that hits it short but a lot of fairways. Best ball we shot 63 gross. Tied for 5th with one round to go.

who are all the local chicago golfers? I might need a fourth if anyone is interested for playing for free at Catigny. Noon shotgun, scramble, prizes and booze.

Last wk, i shot 90. Im a 4. The computer says "are you sure?" Yes.

This week, 71. Same course. Golf is weird.

I did use my new driver today for first time. Ping G30. Bad drives were 285, good ones 320. Felt like cheating.

Last wk, i shot 90. Im a 4. The computer says "are you sure?" Yes.

This week, 71. Same course. Golf is weird.

I did use my new driver today for first time. Ping G30. Bad drives were 285, good ones 320. Felt like cheating.
Hitting the G20 and kinda feel the same way. Hitting it farther off the tee than I've ever hit it in my life.

Need some outing advice. My buddy and I starting putting on an outing for some suppliers and work friends at the end of every season. Started out with 16 players and has grown to 40. It is a 2 man team. First 3 holes on each nine is a scramble, next 3 best ball, last 3 alternate shot. Then repeat on the back nine. Every man puts in 20.00 for skins and 20.00 for closest to on the 4 par 3s and prize money. The first few year all the golfers were basically pretty much the same level and the winning score was around a 76-76. The alternate shot is where most teams struggled and lost strokes.

The last two years my buddy asked some guys from out league to join to make it bigger. Of course the two best players who are both former teaching PGAs club pros on our league one is a -1, and the other scratch formed a team. Last year their winning score was a 68, mind you both of these guys would shoot a 72 or so playing their own ball. This year in the pouring rain and howling wind they shoot a 69, second place was 76, third 77 and fourth 78. They won 3 of the four skins that were out and stepped on a couple of others, Took 2 of the 4 closest to, and left with around 350.00 each.

3-4 teams came up to me and said they would not return if the "pros" played next year.

How can we handicap an outing like this? Out of 20 two man teams 16 or so are pretty even on a given day using this format. A couple may be a little better, and the last one way better than all. Both are great guys but you can tell they are licking their chops to play in this.

The ideas were just to ban them from playing, make them split up and assign a weaker play to each. Or start them +3 on the first hole. Even at a +3 start they would still win. This has always been a really fun day but now people are disgruntled and I understand.
I would ask those guys to split up and start using legitimate handicaps to balance teams. Maybe have 2 flights, but the main thing is getting everyone around the same total handicap - can add or subtract from the legit handicaps for the team to level out the teams.

Playing in a Chapman tourney next weekend. I'm a 10, partner is a 7. Tips?
Chapman is alternate shot, right? Whoever tees off play most conservative shot possible, whoever hits 2nd play to center of green. On putts, whoever putts first always lag within 1-2 ft. Never take risks.

Playing in a Chapman tourney next weekend. I'm a 10, partner is a 7. Tips?
Chapman is alternate shot, right? Whoever tees off play most conservative shot possible, whoever hits 2nd play to center of green. On putts, whoever putts first always lag within 1-2 ft. Never take risks.
I think it is alternate shot with a twist. We both hit a tee shot, then we get to choose which ball to take. Obviously some strategy there as if your better player hits a slightly better tee shot, it may be better strategy to take weaker player's drive.

Just back from my golf trip! Wow. 109 holes of golf in 5 days.

*snuck in 18 holes at Country Club of Indianapolis on the drive down. It was just a warm up round for two of us, but I holed out a 3 wood from 240 yards on a par five for double eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*36 at The Greenbrier, 18 on the resort course and 18 on Old White. Conditions and both courses were just fantastic.

*54 straight holes on the Upper Cascades course at the Homestead. Just an amazing course that was naturally built into the mountain setting. Pretty cool to walk in the footsteps of where Snead learned the game of golf.

Can't wait to go back next year.

Some ####### crackhead broke into my truck and stole my clubs. Brand new driver & wedges, relative new irons.

urbanhack said:

*snuck in 18 holes at Country Club of Indianapolis on the drive down. It was just a warm up round for two of us, but I holed out a 3 wood from 240 yards on a par five for double eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*36 at The Greenbrier, 18 on the resort course and 18 on Old White. Conditions and both courses were just fantastic.

*54 straight holes on the Upper Cascades course at the Homestead. Just an amazing course that was naturally built into the mountain setting. Pretty cool to walk in the footsteps of where Snead learned the game of golf.

####### awesome!

urbanhack said:

Sounds awesome!. I'm just starting to think about next summer's trip

tommyboy said:
Some ####### crackhead broke into my truck and stole my clubs. Brand new driver & wedges, relative new irons.
At least you can get all new stuff now?
i know, but a mans golf clubs are kind of like something you fall in love with. These were custom fitted, all the wedges were special grind just for my swing type...i mean, i've used two putters in 25 years both stolen now. It just blows. I made a LOT of meaningful putts with that putter. Funny how I bought it, i was over at a golf shop getting some grips put on decided to knock a few putts around their little fake grass putting green. I tried every single putter they had, then i grabbed this cheap odyssey blade putter and start dropping 95% of my putts, didn't matter if it was 5 ft or 25 feet they were all going in. Guy comes over and says you need help with a fitting? I say, no I just want to buy this one. So he starts to head back to the inventory room and I said, "no, i meant I want to buy this very putter right here in my hands". he says that's a demo, are you sure and i'm like yep, i'll pay for it right now, lets go.

gonna miss that putter

18 yesterday with some clients...ate lunch...it was so perfect weather and course condition wise...we went out for another 9. There were a lot of relatively inexperienced golfers who'd never player more than 18.

Needless to say, I expect our '15 numbers with them to be up.

tommyboy said:
At least you can get all new stuff now?
i know, but a mans golf clubs are kind of like something you fall in love with. These were custom fitted, all the wedges were special grind just for my swing type...i mean, i've used two putters in 25 years both stolen now. It just blows. I made a LOT of meaningful putts with that putter. Funny how I bought it, i was over at a golf shop getting some grips put on decided to knock a few putts around their little fake grass putting green. I tried every single putter they had, then i grabbed this cheap odyssey blade putter and start dropping 95% of my putts, didn't matter if it was 5 ft or 25 feet they were all going in. Guy comes over and says you need help with a fitting? I say, no I just want to buy this one. So he starts to head back to the inventory room and I said, "no, i meant I want to buy this very putter right here in my hands". he says that's a demo, are you sure and i'm like yep, i'll pay for it right now, lets go. gonna miss that putter
i would go ape####...off to play :)

Albatross! Congrats Man!

Just chiming in to say I shot my best round ever yesterday! 92. I know that isn't exactly a great score, but I've struggled with golf for years. No birdies, a few triple bogeys, but I did get 8 pars! By far my most ever. Hopefully I can continue this trend and someday get in the 80's! :)

Just chiming in to say I shot my best round ever yesterday! 92. I know that isn't exactly a great score, but I've struggled with golf for years. No birdies, a few triple bogeys, but I did get 8 pars! By far my most ever. Hopefully I can continue this trend and someday get in the 80's! :)
Once you get to 92, it's just a couple of blow up holes from being in the low 80s.

Set a personal career best for a scramble over the weekend. My group (7,8, 11, 14) shot -18. 4 eagles and 4 pars.

And we still didn't win the damn thing.

I'm playing golf Friday. High of 38.

next Wednesday is a turkey shoot out for charity high of 42. I'm an #######

Binky The Doormat said:
Set a personal career best for a scramble over

the weekend. My group (7,8, 11, 14) shot -18. 4 eagles and 4 pars.

And we still didn't win the damn thing.
Scrambles are so ripe for cheating most of them just aren't fun or worth the trouble anymore.
Yeah I'm coming to learn that unless you're playing a two teams to a box tournament (which is great but leads to a six hour round) to just not care about outcome and look at it as a personal challenge. I love team formats and I'm long but erratic off the tee so scramble really fits my game and is still enjoyable to me.

and Florida FBGs try that Streamsong resort southeast of Tampa yet?
I haven't, but some playing partners have...low hdcpers...absolutely loved it.

This was pre-resort finish...so I don't know anything about it yet. But for pure golf, it's great.

Just booked a guys' golf trip in Vegas for the first round of the NFL playoffs. Current lineup:

Paiute (Wolf)

Royal Links

Bear's Best

Bali Hai

I've played Paiute before and loved it so that's a certainty. Will likely definitely do Bear's Best as well because I have a connection there who can give reduced rates. Otherwise, any played these before who can provide some input or offer better suggestions? I will have a car so travel is fine. Staying near the strip. I had considered the Boulder City courses but opted against due to the drive (about 30-40 minutes) but can be talked back into them.

Just booked a guys' golf trip in Vegas for the first round of the NFL playoffs. Current lineup:

Paiute (Wolf)

Royal Links

Bear's Best

Bali Hai

I've played Paiute before and loved it so that's a certainty. Will likely definitely do Bear's Best as well because I have a connection there who can give reduced rates. Otherwise, any played these before who can provide some input or offer better suggestions? I will have a car so travel is fine. Staying near the strip. I had considered the Boulder City courses but opted against due to the drive (about 30-40 minutes) but can be talked back into them.
played all except Bears. Sometimes Royal Links isn't groomed so well, but I like the course. Bali Hai is a gem, but overpriced. Beautiful, can play really tough when the wind kicks up. Paiute, never had a bad experience. Have fun!

Finally played again yesterday after getting my clubs stolen couple months ago. No warm up. Started out rusty with 2 doubles and 2 bogeys on the first 6 holes. Finished the last 12 holes w 10 pars and 2 bogeys, which was more normal. The new clubs are a tad longer which i dont mind. Definitely need some practice time.

goals for 2014:

- play 20+ rounds

- see my index move into the 17s (went from 20.2 to 18.3 last year)

- figure out how to hit my driver so it's not a liability

- track my round-by-round stats more consistently

- make a birdie every round

- keep every round in 2014 under 100
been a while since i checked in on this thread. i don't think i'll get out again this year, so as to my goals:

- play 20+ rounds...ended up playing 15 rounds where i was able to post a score. not disappointed considering how much busier i was with work.

- see my index move into the 17s....current index is 17.3. very happy with achieving this!

- figure out how to hit my driver so it's not a liability....went out and got a Ping G25 driver (and matching 4W) and my driving improved considerably. my misses went from > 20yds to mostly < 5yds. can't remember the last time i snap-hooked one off the tee with either of these clubs, and actually found a small fade with these clubs which has been very consistent.

- track my round-by-round stats more consistently...i started out strong using grint.com, and then slacked off as the season progressed (last 6 rounds or so). in this endeavor i'd call it a "fail". from what i was able to track, i can confirm my "miss" is right off the tee, and "short" on most par 3s (which i'm sure aligns with many players, especially in my handicap range). it appears i don't 3-putt much, which is a good thing.

- make a birdie every round...well, i tried. of the 15 rounds i played, i had a birdie in 7, though no multiple-birdie rounds. for my index, i'll take it.

- keep every round in 2014 under 100....i achieved this goal, with two notable exceptions: shot 107 at Mayacamas GC, and then 110 at Bayonet Black. no excuse for the 107, other than the course is [beautiful] and hard as hell, and the 110 could be explained as i played on 8.15.14 and this round was my first 10 weeks later.

as an added bonus, i saved a bit over the last two years and picked up a Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5. i've been eying this putter for a while, and in the two rounds i played with it late this year i'm really happy.

Didn't pick up a club in 2 months then went out and shot 78 and 79 in successive rounds. The last round on the opening hole I got an impossible lie, chunked it out, got sloppy by not measuring the distance and hit a wedge in the drink. Opened with a snowman. Then had 3 birdies and an eagle, the latter coming when I holed out from 120 yards. Putted great.

Playing tomorrow - one of my favorite golf days of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread