What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I am in the midst of the worst golf slump in 20 years. I go to the range and work everything out and hit the ball great. On the course I have no clue. Nothing feels right. Shanks grounder skulls fat. It's like I'm just starting playing. So frustrating. Think I need to take a couple weeks off...just not fun rigjt now
Beginners don't slump with an 83. HTH
Well I shot 87 today. I'm a 7 hcp will be a 10 by the end of the year if this keeps up
Take a lesson.
no
Then make your worm burners work for you.

77-79 first two rounds of the club championship. I'm in 6th. Course was ridiculously hard today. Tips are normally rated 75.7, played harder than that today. I'd be happy with a top 5 finish.
78 finish. Doubled 18 or I would have finished 5th. :rant:

some good tips here....

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2014-09/rory-mcilroy-short-game-basics

→The trust it takes to hit a flop shot or even a basic chip comes with practice. It's worth getting to know how to play these shots correctly. You can't expect to pull them off without putting in the time. My rule: If you're not able to execute the shot at least seven times out of 10 in practice, don't hit it during a round.

→Final thing about these shots: Try not to miss greens in the worst places. I'm not saying we can all control our misses, but know the smart play. If short is safer than long, don't go in with a club that brings the danger into play. Be conservative, and give yourself a putt. Give yourself a chance. - :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
some good tips here....

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2014-09/rory-mcilroy-short-game-basics

→The trust it takes to hit a flop shot or even a basic chip comes with practice. It's worth getting to know how to play these shots correctly. You can't expect to pull them off without putting in the time. My rule: If you're not able to execute the shot at least seven times out of 10 in practice, don't hit it during a round.

→Final thing about these shots: Try not to miss greens in the worst places. I'm not saying we can all control our misses, but know the smart play. If short is safer than long, don't go in with a club that brings the danger into play. Be conservative, and give yourself a putt. Give yourself a chance. - :thumbup:
This is how I've had to start playing to keep my scores down. I used to be able to hit a 3 iron high and long and be aggressive on par 5s. Now I play position golf. I shoot the same scores with fewer birdies and fewer doubles.

Chipping is by far the best part of my game and it's because of the confidence. I love having a flop shot. It's probably how Kobe feels every time he has the ball.

Putting, not so much.

Chipping is by far the best part of my game and it's because of the confidence. I love having a flop shot. It's probably how Kobe feels every time he has the ball.

Putting, not so much.
I spend 75% of my practice time with a wedge in my hand.

Putter super confident

chipping pretty confident

flop mild confident practice a lot

regular pitch below confidence

driver usually super confident now not so much

I'm finally attending a yearly alumni tournament with a bunch of my college buddies who are still PGA Professionals. We'll be playing 90 holes of golf between The Greenbrier Resort and The Homestead Resort over 3 days. Going to drive with another buddy from Chicago and make it a road trip!

Putting, not so much.
I am playing pretty good right now (for me) The shot that is killing me is when I miss the green and my ball is sitting down a bit in the shaggy grass next to the fringe but I am only 10-12 feet or so from the hole. Three times I had this shot yesterday and botched all three. The first one I tried to finesse and the ball only went 3-4 feet still not on the green. The last two I closed up my gap and blew it 20 feet past the hole both times. Instead of getting up and down from close range I ended up with 2 doubles and a bogey. What club to use in this situation?

Putting, not so much.
I am playing pretty good right now (for me) The shot that is killing me is when I miss the green and my ball is sitting down a bit in the shaggy grass next to the fringe but I am only 10-12 feet or so from the hole. Three times I had this shot yesterday and botched all three. The first one I tried to finesse and the ball only went 3-4 feet still not on the green. The last two I closed up my gap and blew it 20 feet past the hole both times. Instead of getting up and down from close range I ended up with 2 doubles and a bogey. What club to use in this situation?
two ways to play. the Seve Ballesteros way is to take your PW or SW and hood it (close the face) then just give it enough of a jab to land on the collar and roll out.

the Mickelson way is to open the club face like its a bunker shot, and play it like a bunker shot try to hit 1-2 inches behind the ball, flop it up and should land softly and roll just a little bit.

most of the pros do it the mickelson way

some good tips here....

This is how I've had to start playing to keep my scores down. I used to be able to hit a 3 iron high and long and be aggressive on par 5s. Now I play position golf. I shoot the same scores with fewer birdies and fewer doubles.
I've kind of made the same shifts you have to a more conservative game (so much less stress considering I was losing over 4 strokes a round to penalties prior), but I'm wondering if this is the right thing to do. Especially in tournaments where you gotta go low to win.

I don't know if it's a fair point to make since obviously I'm much more relaxed hitting an aggressive shot in a scramble with a partner in relatively good shape, but I am a substantially better player in scrambles because I am more aggressive and firmly believe I've played to ten shots or lower below my handicap in some scrambles if we consider just my shots.

Playing a TPC course for the first time this weekend (Scottsdale Champions course - not the stadium one). Getting excited.

some good tips here....

I've kind of made the same shifts you have to a more conservative game (so much less stress considering I was losing over 4 strokes a round to penalties prior), but I'm wondering if this is the right thing to do. Especially in tournaments where you gotta go low to win.

I don't know if it's a fair point to make since obviously I'm much more relaxed hitting an aggressive shot in a scramble with a partner in relatively good shape, but I am a substantially better player in scrambles because I am more aggressive and firmly believe I've played to ten shots or lower below my handicap in some scrambles if we consider just my shots.
in tournaments you want to combine the conservative and the aggressive. conservative on the tee, aggressive to the pins. You should be flag hunting on most of the approach shots except the obvious sucker pins. Even then, you still need a hot putter, because every tournament I've ever played in is won by the guy or team that made the putts.

Good stuff on the chips and pitches.

Although I played out of my mind all weekend in Florida, I actually chipped like dog####. Had a vital chip on 18 that went 90 degrees to the right.

Luckily I ended up almost holing out within an inch of the cup to preserve my win.

Now that the driver is fixed, long and straight, it's time to spend some serious time on the practice greens

one of the better confidence builders I ever did on chipping practice is to find a tight lie area, and practice just picking the ball off the grass, no divot.

you'll chunk a few, you'll scull a few but then you'll start finding the center of the club face over and over. You'll find that as you get better at it, the ball will check up a bit, proving you can spin the ball on chips without a big descending blow.

this makes most other chips seem extremely easy by comparison.

to me though, the hardest chip is the one described above, you have deep rough, ball buried and very little room to run the ball out. That one you have to practice, and I generally do it the Seve way with a closed club face.

SlimShady said:

Putting, not so much.
two ways to play. the Seve Ballesteros way is to take your PW or SW and hood it (close the face) then just give it enough of a jab to land on the collar and roll out.

the Mickelson way is to open the club face like its a bunker shot, and play it like a bunker shot try to hit 1-2 inches behind the ball, flop it up and should land softly and roll just a little bit.

3) The Spaulding way

SlimShady said:

Putting, not so much.

3) The Spaulding way
Instead of hooding a wedge I'll take a 9 iron and just pop it out onto the fringe and let it roll out.

Anyone in the Chicago or NW Indiana want to play for free tomorrow? My buddy and I are playing and our foursome is already paid for. 2:00pm tee time

http://www.golfataberdeen.com/

Send PM if you are interested.

Won the member-member club championship, won $600 so i went to hit new drivers on a trackman. Ping G30 was 23 yds longer than mine. Thing is awesome

playing for the first time since mid-july tomorrow. foot injury + new job has destroyed my golf game! i have been working on my game a little in the backyard, but it could be interesting

Greg Norman cut off his right hand using a chainsaw.

Prince Myshkin said:
playing for the first time since mid-july tomorrow. foot injury + new job has destroyed my golf game! i have been working on my game a little in the backyard, but it could be interesting
pretty ugly round, but I did eagle the hardest hole on the course. After a good drive down the middle, had 165 slightly uphill, slightly into the wind. Hit a 6-iron that never left the flag stick. Pitched about 5 feet short of the hole, took one hop and disappeared. :shock:

I fought a bad case of the hooks all day. My usual miss is right, so having a day where everything was going left was tough to deal with.

Just all over this year. Minus my 73 it's been pretty crappy. That's what happens when you only touch a club once every couple weeks

I just started regularly playing again for the first time in 20 years. Used to play a couple times a week during college summers, a couple of times a month shortly after college, and then it's faded to about once a year since then.

Got some new clubs and have been hitting the range 2x/week for the past few weeks. Played 6 rounds so far and broke 100 yesterday with a 97. I've broken 90 once in my life way back when I was playing regularly and I think I can get there again. I play with some friends on Saturday mornings and then usually get out by myself on Sunday afternoons.

If I can cut out the 3-putts and keep the ball in bounds, that'll take 5-8 shots off my score which gets me real close to the 80s.

I forgot how much I enjoy playing golf.

I just started regularly playing again for the first time in 20 years. Used to play a couple times a week during college summers, a couple of times a month shortly after college, and then it's faded to about once a year since then.

Got some new clubs and have been hitting the range 2x/week for the past few weeks. Played 6 rounds so far and broke 100 yesterday with a 97. I've broken 90 once in my life way back when I was playing regularly and I think I can get there again. I play with some friends on Saturday mornings and then usually get out by myself on Sunday afternoons.

If I can cut out the 3-putts and keep the ball in bounds, that'll take 5-8 shots off my score which gets me real close to the 80s.

I forgot how much I enjoy playing golf.
Yeah, well it will work you over and spit you out. Golf is ####### evil. The only way to beat is to not care ...and then it doesn't matter and its no fun then either.

bought a new set of Vokey wedges, 50, 54 and 58 degree. Went and hit them today on the practice green, awesome. I especially like the grind on the 58 degree sand wedge for ease of bunker shots. Vokey line lets you choose 5 different grinds which you can match to the typical type shots you'll be hitting with that club. so for example my 50 degree is basically a full swing club, and since I hit down fairly steeply on the ball they recommended I go with more bounce. With the 58, I basically only use that in bunkers or flop shots and they said I needed a lot less bounce. They were right.

Maybe in the market for a new driver. I'm still hitting a 9.5 degree Ping TiSi tec from about 10 years ago. I hit it straight but I think the shaft is a little shorter than what would be optimal. I don't think I'm getting as much speed due to the shorter shaft. Rather than re-shaft, I think I would probably like to just get a new driver.

Any recommendations on something that is not an absolute beast in terms of clubhead size, and that is maybe a year or two old that could be had on the used market in the $200 ballpark?

Maybe in the market for a new driver. I'm still hitting a 9.5 degree Ping TiSi tec from about 10 years ago. I hit it straight but I think the shaft is a little shorter than what would be optimal. I don't think I'm getting as much speed due to the shorter shaft. Rather than re-shaft, I think I would probably like to just get a new driver.

Any recommendations on something that is not an absolute beast in terms of clubhead size, and that is maybe a year or two old that could be had on the used market in the $200 ballpark?
The cobra amp cell. $99 at my local course. Super hot face can smash the ball

picked up a Callaway X 2 hot driver for about 165 and give that a shot playing Galloway on Sunday a really nice local course down the shore

Yeah I have the 3 wood and hybrid. I kept my r1 but figured too good to pass up. Was 329 down to 229 and I had a 50 off coupon and a couple other discounts

Yeah I have the 3 wood and hybrid. I kept my r1 but figured too good to pass up. Was 329 down to 229 and I had a 50 off coupon and a couple other discounts
That is what I was just going to ask, where the heck did you find that for $165.00. Solid purchase, eyeing one also as I have a $50 gift certificate to burn up.

2 under 70. don't get me wrong, that's about as good as I can play, but I still haven't shot in the 60s. putted off the charts.

I played Sunday and after a couple weeks of searching for my swing, it started to make a comeback. Not completely, but I'm starting to realize what the wrong way is and what the right way was. I'd say about 65% of my shots felt amazing. And the rest seemed like I learned golf a couple weeks ago. I still shot terrible, but it was more about getting penalized on good shots. Also, putting let me down. Although it's tough to put it all on the putter. A couple of holes I hit my putt, it went to within a foot of the hole, stopped, then slowly rolled back 20 feet to where I was standing. I felt like John Daly at the US Open that one year.

I figure I'll get my swing back just in time to put the clubs away for 5 months. :thumbup:

Ended up getting the Ping G20...I found a used one at a local shop for $90...in really good shape. I'm just cheap when it comes down to it. I'd rather save a few hundred than have the latest, greatest. :)

Hit it at the range yesterday and it was long and straight. Forgiveness was noticeably increased from the old school driver (TiSi tec) I had been hitting.

Excited to pull it out in a 4-man scramble this afternoon.

I have limited experience, but handicaps are becoming a joke to me. Curious to know if other more experienced players see similar stuff.

I've been tracking mine accurately for almost three years now. Played in a few events where prizes went to gross and net. Have to admit it seems pointless. In every event so far there has been at least two or three guys that play so far below their handicap it feels rigged. In each case were talking 10 shots below. Guy I played with plays to a 13. He shot 2 over in a round. WTF?

Maybe its just the course I play at where they don't do anything about it?

Users who are viewing this thread