What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 Golf Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Awful round for me too.

Shot the best round of my life last Thursday at Atlantic City Country Club.

This past Saturday I shot maybe the worst round of my life on an easier course. So frustrating. Called up the guy who gives me lessons and told him I need a pack of 10 stat.

I started to turn my scores around until about the 11th hole when a group of 3 college kids played through the group behind us and were playing at a lightning pace. My group was NOT playing slow, no looking for lost balls, little time spent talking, we were moving as fast as the party in front would let us. Problem was, there was no where to let them go (log jam in front of us, and they also didn't ask us to play through). Of course they decided to act like drunk #####, screeching the brakes on their cart coming up to every tee box behind us. Literally talking #### and laughing at every shot someone in my party took.

Really got on my nerves and the day blew up from there.

What's with trying to play speed golf on a Saturday at 10 AM with a threesome? You want to play fast, tee off at 6 PM or on a weekday. To act like ##### because there was nowhere to play through to on a Saturday mid day at one of the only public golf courses in the area is a move worthy of an ### beating. Luckily I restrained myself enough not to get arrested.
Agreed. If you play on the weekend after 8 or 9, you better expect to play at a slow pace and possibly put up a 5 hour round. It's the peak time to play. I hate playing late on a weekend. You usually have to wait 5 to 10 minutes after each shot, meanwhile it never fails that the group behind me hits into us trying to get us to pick up the pace.My foursome plays Sundays around 7 am. Yesterday we went out at 6:20 am. It was magical. Done in about 3 and a half hours and still had the whole day to sit on the couch and do nothing. :thumbup:
That's how I'd like to roll. Tee off before 7 am would be ideal. Unfortunately, the guys I play with aren't early birds.
I did the same thing. Teed of at 6:26. Went out by myself. Skipped one hole to pass a threesome and finished in 3 hours. Only problem was that there was some fog, but we get that in So Cal sometimes. Wanted to get out and back in time to see the PGA. Of course it was rain delayed. That being said, I'll do anything to avoid a 5 or 6 hour weekend round. I get stiff and just lose interest.

Also having a hell of a time lately with the ball of my left foot (I'm right handed).

It gets sore to the point where it's tough to walk after 18 holes of golf. Never during the round, but about an hour after, the entire ball of my foot can't handle any pressure. Never gets sore after the gym or a long walk either, it's just the golf that does it. Usually lasts for a day after I play.

Anyone play with Dr Scholls insoles in their golf shoes?

Also having a hell of a time lately with the ball of my left foot (I'm right handed).

It gets sore to the point where it's tough to walk after 18 holes of golf. Never during the round, but about an hour after, the entire ball of my foot can't handle any pressure. Never gets sore after the gym or a long walk either, it's just the golf that does it. Usually lasts for a day after I play.

Anyone play with Dr Scholls insoles in their golf shoes?
I had this same issue years ago. No clue what it was. It also went up into my big toe. I used those inserts and I hated them. My shoes felt so damn heavy and my feet felt like they were going to come out on every shot. JMO though.

Oddly enough, the pain just went away on its own. Lasted almost a full year then just *POOF*, gone. :shrug:

First round with new clubs - 74

I'm happy :)
Is 2 over par close to your handicap? I play in a league that has 4 teaching pros from local courses. They usually are in the 72-76 range for 18. So 74 is a great score. When I play a course 6600 yards or more I am hoping to stay in the 42-44 range.
I'm a 0.8 right now, but the course rating where I play is 73.9/139
:thumbup:

I think Mason (proninja) is in your league although he doesn't play much. I recall a thread where he said he shot in the 70s after not having played for several years.
Right now I am in the 12 range depending on the course. I thought was playing pretty good too. I guess stink!

I've been playing twilight on Friday afternoons. Lots of decent courses with a cart at 4-4:30 pm I can play for $25-40. I'm usually hauling the first few holes with no one in front of me.

This way I keep weekends free for family stuff (I have 2 young kids) and don't pay weekend rates. Only negative is I have to cut out early from work. But I'd imagine a decent amount of those on this board could do so.

PRE-Lessons: my driver was my best club. Straight at 230-250 most of the time. Not long, but right down the middle with no problems.

Teed the ball forward in my stance, got through the ball evenly. Head down, all that jazz.

POST-Lessons: My grip was strengthened (not gripping harder but turning the back of my left hand more towards my stomach). Taught to keep my front shoulder cocked up a touch. Keep my hands at my zipper (they were previously at my left leg with the club face behind my hands), Distribute more weight to the back and tilt head slightly to the right looking at the ball.

Every drive went left yesterday using this method.

Where's my fix here? Am I turning through the ball too quickly? This has to be a hands/hips type of thing, no?

I tried damn near everything including teeing the ball up in the middle of my stance. Still went left pretty drastically.

If someone has a quick piece of advice to try out on the range this afternoon, I'd love to hear it.
My advice - patience. You are going to fix your swing over night and you shouldn't expect dramatic results when are you making changes like he's implementing. You need to get comfortable with the new grip and shoulder alignment.

If you get that strong grip with your left hand and the ball is going left, my advice or tip would be to try and peek under the ball as you swing. check out Fowler's head on this pic from yesterday: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/10419406_10152674467583729_9060049751120814726_n.jpg

Strong grip, fire your hips while staying behind the ball.

This is the last year for them so he bought a new one. He knows I've wanted one for years. Can't thank him enough

I've been noticing some soreness in my right middle finger the day after going to the driving range. Anyone else experience this?

Anyone catch the segment on Bryant Gumbel Sports on HBO last night talking about the decline of the golf industry?
No, but I think it's more serious than most think. It's a game I'd assume most pick up by playing with their dad as a kid and I don't think that happens as much anymore for multiple reasons (work more / expensive / takes too long).
kids don't want to be outside.....kids suck....i have 3....

Joe T said:
I've been noticing some soreness in my right middle finger the day after going to the driving range. Anyone else experience this?
I have arthritis in my hands. So I'm going to an oversized grip. I hope it helps.

chet said:
belljr said:
chet said:
belljr said:
This is the last year for them so he bought a new one. He knows I've wanted one for years. Can't thank him enough
wat

Scotty Cameron is stopping production?
through titleist
So what does this mean for SC? SC was a subsidiary of Titleist and now won't be? Is that a big deal?
Not sure that is the rumor. This is supposed to be the last year and this just opened :shrug:

http://www.golfwrx.com/229157/scotty-cameron-opens-gallery-putting-studio-in-southern-california/

John Bender said:
PRE-Lessons: my driver was my best club. Straight at 230-250 most of the time. Not long, but right down the middle with no problems.

Teed the ball forward in my stance, got through the ball evenly. Head down, all that jazz.

POST-Lessons: My grip was strengthened (not gripping harder but turning the back of my left hand more towards my stomach). Taught to keep my front shoulder cocked up a touch. Keep my hands at my zipper (they were previously at my left leg with the club face behind my hands), Distribute more weight to the back and tilt head slightly to the right looking at the ball.

Every drive went left yesterday using this method.

Where's my fix here? Am I turning through the ball too quickly? This has to be a hands/hips type of thing, no?

I tried damn near everything including teeing the ball up in the middle of my stance. Still went left pretty drastically.

If someone has a quick piece of advice to try out on the range this afternoon, I'd love to hear it.

I will say - here's where the lessons did help my driver. No more topping the ball, chunking the ball, mis-hitting altogether. Every contact was solid. Just solid out to the left.
Focus on turning your shoulders as far back as you can in your backswing. Sounds like you're firing a little early and coming around too quick with your hands. If you force yourself to turn back just a bit further on your shoulder turn, you should find your timing is a little better.

My driver distance is down. Ball flight is too high even when I tee it lower. The only way I can flight it down is if I hit a hard draw.

My irons are the same distance as they've always been. Titleist AP2's PW 145 7i 175 4i 210. 4 Wood (Tour Edge) 245 off the deck.

Swing speed is around 110-114 with the driver. 9.5 Cobra Amp Cell. It's balooning, too much back spin, no roll. I'm carrying it between 265-275 but get no roll unless it's really hard and dry out.

I know I get my hands flipping a bit at the bottom, and I have a steep angle of attack in general. Is this a shaft issue, or is it maybe that because I play the driver up in my stance that I'm adding loft flipping at it at impact?

My driver distance is down. Ball flight is too high even when I tee it lower. The only way I can flight it down is if I hit a hard draw.

My irons are the same distance as they've always been. Titleist AP2's PW 145 7i 175 4i 210. 4 Wood (Tour Edge) 245 off the deck.

Swing speed is around 110-114 with the driver. 9.5 Cobra Amp Cell. It's balooning, too much back spin, no roll. I'm carrying it between 265-275 but get no roll unless it's really hard and dry out.

I know I get my hands flipping a bit at the bottom, and I have a steep angle of attack in general. Is this a shaft issue, or is it maybe that because I play the driver up in my stance that I'm adding loft flipping at it at impact?
Tee it higher

You play it forward in your stance and have high spin? That's odd. I'd get on a monitor and see what's going on. And in the meantime try a softer ball to knock some of that spin off.

Are you playing it off your left toe or left heel? Check with 2 clubs on the ground. You could go an inch or 2 inside your left heel and still be within an acceptable range of ball position. Should bring the flight down if you've got it off your toe now.

Too many letters and numbers on your clubs man, you need an Enigma machine to figure out whether you got a 9 iron or a sand wedge in your hands.

Too many letters and numbers on your clubs man, you need an Enigma machine to figure out whether you got a 9 iron or a sand wedge in your hands.
:lol:

my right knee is a mess and my game is suffering because of it. I can only handle a round a month right now and that is with a cart. The next day my knee is usually nice and swollen but the great and powerfully Dr.'s here at the Coast Guard just keep prescribing me motrin. So frustrating but still happy with my game right now as I'm consistently shooting 88's when I do go out. If I can somehow avoid a blow up hole and talk my wife into a set of vokey's then I can maybe start dreaming of breaking into single digit handicap land.

It's likely a mix of everything. First thing is start teeing your ball up higher. Teeing it down will just make you unconsciously attack it at a downward angle. You want to be starting your upswing when you hit the ball with a driver.

Second, your close stance isn't helping either. Stepping back a few inches will flatten out your swing path quite a bit and do a lot for lowering your drives.

But really, if your shaft isn't fitted for your swing, it won't really matter. You need to get with a pro and get fitted for the right shaft. It's expensive and you'll likely be out 300-500 after the fitting and getting a new shaft, but really, guys spend that on a new driver with a stock shaft, and getting a good solid aftermarket shaft that fits you is better for your game than a new driver every time.

Just got an offer to play the Olympic Club. Lakes Club - where they played the US Open. I just have to fly up to SF. Probably need to get a room for a night. Still will cost me $300 just to get there. Worth it? Bucket list type of thing? Anybody play it?

I miss golfing. Just haven't gone the last few years. Money has been a key component to this amid other things. Anyway, went last week, first time in a few years and had a blast although my conditioning is horrible.

Went to the range yesterday and decided to not swing as hard as I used to but instead be more precise. That worked great, now I just have to go to the course and do it. One thing though, I'm not into the big head drivers. Still carry a Big Bertha Steel driver but hit it maybe twice a round. My brother left the area and I grabbed his Callaway big headed driver (its 5+ years old) and the thing just flew for me. Just massive. He gave me his Great Big Bertha Titanium and I hit that a few times. Pretty decent as well... was flying the ball 230+ (range ball) with an easier swing.

Knowing it is late in the season and if I play more than 5 rounds this remaining year, I'd be surprised, but is there a Callaway driver similar to the two I described above? I looked at some online and they all have fancy screws on the head and nozzle stuff. Just give me a club, old skool.

For reference, I had used stiff shafts before but think a "regular" shaft would be better now. My 8-iron is 140-150 if I am in form... maybe 130 right now. I'd prefer Callaway but looking at a larger headed driver in the future. Thanks.
?????

Any simple tips that can help a horrible putter like myself? I'm talking 35-45 putts every round. I tend to miss left. I know I hook em when I make contact. So freaking tough to sink putts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any simple tips that can help a horrible putter like myself? I'm talking 35-45 putts every round. I tend to miss left. I know I hook em when I make contact. So freaking tough to sink putts.
No matter the length of the putt, pick a spot ~3 feet out and aim for it only. Pick a spot so you don't have to move your head when standing over the ball. Aim and shoot. Having touch with the putter has a feel to it. Do you have that feeling or is that where you are adding strokes? Leaving putts 4, 5 feet short is that feel... but aiming, start with a spot within sight 2-3 feet from your ball.

I have a line on my ball that I align with my alignment mark on my putter before every putt. Mark and lift the ball, aim the line where I want the putt to go, then it's just a matter of distance and making the right read.

I have a line on my ball that I align with my alignment mark on my putter before every putt. Mark and lift the ball, aim the line where I want the putt to go, then it's just a matter of distance and making the right read.
i stopped doing this because if i had a shaky backswing i would mentally screw up the putt....so i just throw the ball down and go for it...

When it comes to putting, I act like I'm taking a shot in basketball. Before you fire up that shot, you're not thinking, "How hard should I throw this?" or "How should my hands be moving?" I like to think that my body can judge it on the fly better than I can trying to work out the mechanics.

Since doing this, I've become a much better putter.

When it comes to putting, I act like I'm taking a shot in basketball. Before you fire up that shot, you're not thinking, "How hard should I throw this?" or "How should my hands be moving?" I

like to think that my body can judge it on the fly better than I can trying to work out the mechanics.

Since doing this, I've become a much better

putter.
This is similar to Dave stockton's philosophy. In his opinion you simply concentrate on a particular line and expect to make it every time. Iirc he also suggests taking out practice swings (or cutting them down at least).

When it comes to putting, I act like I'm taking a shot in basketball. Before you fire up that shot, you're not thinking, "How hard should I throw this?" or "How should my hands be moving?" I

like to think that my body can judge it on the fly better than I can trying to work out the mechanics.

putter.
This is similar to Dave stockton's philosophy. In his opinion you simply concentrate on a particular line and expect to make it every time. Iirc he also suggests taking out practice swings (or cutting them down at least).
Interesting. I don't really take a practice swing either. I step up just off the ball, get into my position to get the feel, then move up and take the putt.

Visualize a tack stacking halfway out of your ball such that if you hit your ball square, you will knock the tack in.

Also, when testing new putters, hit 2-3 foot straight putts without aligning yourself behind the ball. Only pick a putter with which you've been able to put the ball in the middle of the hole every time.

putter.
Interesting. I don't really take a practice swing either. I step up just off the ball, get into my position to get the feel, then move up and take the putt.
"Putting Out of Your Mind" - a great mental approach to putting. I read this about 10 years ago and it noticeable improved my putting to the point my playing partners were asking to borrow the book.

Callaway x2Hot or Big Bertha are Great drivers currently
Been using the X2Hot for about 2 months now. Had a Taylor Superfast before. Went to a 10.5 from a 9.5 and have been hitting way more fairways with about the same distance. Much better control.

Users who are viewing this thread