What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I don't want Mississippi State in anymore. At this point I think Baylor deserves it.

FSU has the hardest game on their schedule coming up. Obviously they will be in if they win despite how lucky they are.
Does actually losing a game to a mediocre 3-loss team and beating. 5-loss team by 1 point make Alabama luckier or unluckier than FSU? It's hard to keep up with the narrative here.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://yellowhammernews.com/politics-2/tide-victory-wcu-coach-hammers-herbstreit-praises-bentley-saban-proclaims-roll-tide/

WCU goes off on Herbstreit, who attacked the weeks schedule on Gameday:

Speir, whose squad had been paid $480,000 to play Alabama, took exception to the comment. He said games like these help FCS schools fund their entire athletic department and give opportunities to kids who otherwise wouldn’t have a chance to go to college. Speir also noted that Troy Mitchell, the Catamounts quarterback, had a particularly memorable experience. Mitchell threw for 221 yards and two touchdowns and, in the process, eclipsed the school record for total yardage in a season.

“Guys get an education and we battled our butts off, playing games like this,” Speir said. “It sends people who wouldn’t have an opportunity to go to college and have great memories. Then a guy like Troy sets a record. You tell me that ain’t special.”

Speir then took direct aim at Herbstreit.

“A guy who had a silver spoon in his mouth all his life, Ohio State, prima donna state quarterback is talking about, ‘It’s an embarrassment.’ He ain’t ever coached,” Speir quipped. “I’m just proud of FCS football, I’m proud of our football team, I hope America doesn’t listen to a guy who sits behind a mic that hasn’t ever done it. With that silver spoon in his mouth, he probably never had a bloody nose or a callous like some of these guys.”

That WCU guy has to say that but he's wrong. These games are awful, at any point of the year.

I can see Kansas, Wake, Indiana etc playing those teams but FSU and the SEC shouldn't be. It's horrible.

I think that that's a fair criticism. Obviously it's good for an FCS school to get the chance to play Alabama. That's fine.

But Alabama should get no credit for that victory. None. It should be regarded by the playoff deciders as no different from a bye week.

I think that that's a fair criticism. Obviously it's good for an FCS school to get the chance to play Alabama. That's fine.

But Alabama should get no credit for that victory. None. It should be regarded by the playoff deciders as no different from a bye week.
What credit do you think they're getting? 100% of Alabama fans would agree we'd prefer a bye.

What credit do you think they're getting? 100% of Alabama fans would agree we'd prefer a bye.
its treated as a win, right?

http://yellowhammernews.com/politics-2/tide-victory-wcu-coach-hammers-herbstreit-praises-bentley-saban-proclaims-roll-tide/

WCU goes off on Herbstreit, who attacked the weeks schedule on Gameday:

Speir, whose squad had been paid $480,000 to play Alabama, took exception to the comment. He said games like these help FCS schools fund their entire athletic department and give opportunities to kids who otherwise wouldn’t have a chance to go to college. Speir also noted that Troy Mitchell, the Catamounts quarterback, had a particularly memorable experience. Mitchell threw for 221 yards and two touchdowns and, in the process, eclipsed the school record for total yardage in a season.

“Guys get an education and we battled our butts off, playing games like this,” Speir said. “It sends people who wouldn’t have an opportunity to go to college and have great memories. Then a guy like Troy sets a record. You tell me that ain’t special.”

Speir then took direct aim at Herbstreit.

“A guy who had a silver spoon in his mouth all his life, Ohio State, prima donna state quarterback is talking about, ‘It’s an embarrassment.’ He ain’t ever coached,” Speir quipped. “I’m just proud of FCS football, I’m proud of our football team, I hope America doesn’t listen to a guy who sits behind a mic that hasn’t ever done it. With that silver spoon in his mouth, he probably never had a bloody nose or a callous like some of these guys.”
Wasn't Herbstreit's point more about the timing? Scheduling these teams during the stretch-run rather than at the beginning of the season like most other conferences?

its treated as a win, right?
No one is too concerned about bowl eligibility. The downside of playing these games is far greater (other than the $ the home town brings in).

That WCU guy has to say that but he's wrong. These games are awful, at any point of the year.

I can see Kansas, Wake, Indiana etc playing those teams but FSU and the SEC shouldn't be. It's horrible.
It's one thing if you can make it look like you can hang. But when you're a Savannah State sending your kids to OK State and FSU to get destroyed and collect $500k paychecks, that's where I have a problem.I'm not a fan of it, but I can see how each side benefits from the transaction.

Take away the playoffs, and take away the BCS Championship. If the season came to an end and you just had to crown a champion based on the season. Who do you crown?
It's so obvious that no one will give this a serious answer? I thought it might be, but wasn't sure. Looking at the rankings I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. This playoff thing has everyone over thinking the #### out of it.

Take away the playoffs, and take away the BCS Championship. If the season came to an end and you just had to crown a champion based on the season. Who do you crown?
It's so obvious that no one will give this a serious answer? I thought it might be, but wasn't sure. Looking at the rankings I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. This playoff thing has everyone over thinking the #### out of it.
It would obviously be FSU

I think I agree - I don't think FSU is the best team though. This is why a 4 or 8 team playoff was important IMO - before it was just a guess as to who was best. I think whoever ends up winning the playoff will be deemed a more true champion. Especially if we get to 8 teams.

Herbstreit "This is the worst thing in CFB!" Really the worst thing in CFB is the Powerhouses playing lesser schools? Herbstreit must have been caught up in the moment, because I wouldn't think that this "problem" would make the top 50 problems with CFB.

WTF is Baylor doing with this 3 yards and a cloud of dust bs...throw the damn thing
1. Baylor is the #1 rushing team in the Big 12. At least that was true coming into this week; not sure if yesterday changed that.

2. Most of the game was played in a downpour.

3. It was actually 5.5 yards and a cloud of dust.

Just got home. My daughter had a great time, and it was pretty special having her there. A wonderful day.

UCLA played very well. I continue to believe that if they can take care of business against Stanford, and then find a way to defeat Oregon (no Seahawk, I don't think UCLA is a better team than Oregon, but I do think UCLA is good enough to beat Oregon on one occasion, every once in a while and hopefully this will be the one) then UCLA will be in the final four, playing in the Rose Bowl against Alabama, Florida State or whoever. Obviously that's a long away dream right now, but tonight was a step in the right direction.

Good night everyone.
You never know, I knew Oregon would drop a game this year, but didn't think it would be AZ.

It's going to be a great couple weeks.

UCLA -4 v Stanford

Ohio State -20 v Michigan. :lmao:

UNC -6 v NC State

UGA -14 v GT

Oregon -18 @ Oregon St

Alabama -9 v Auburn

FSU -9 v Florida

Clemson -4.5 v SoCar

Ole Miss PK v Miss St

USC -7 v ND

UCLA -4 v Stanford

UNC -6 v NC State

UGA -14 v GT

Oregon -18 @ Oregon St

Alabama -9 v Auburn

FSU -9 v Florida

Clemson -4.5 v SoCar

Ole Miss PK v Miss St

USC -7 v ND
Clemson no shot against SC without Watson. Stoudt is terrible.

Miss St should destroy Ole Miss.

Herbstreit "This is the worst thing in CFB!" Really the worst thing in CFB is the Powerhouses playing lesser schools? Herbstreit must have been caught up in the moment, because I wouldn't think that this "problem" would make the top 50 problems with CFB.
It's rare that corso is the adult in the room but he nailed this. Sure It stinks for Miss Mary's Kindergarden to get smoked for 60 minutes by SEC team X, but when the one game check funds the MMK program for the year and allows them to grow there is a positive that comes from it.

It's rare that corso is the adult in the room but he nailed this. Sure It stinks for Miss Mary's Kindergarden to get smoked for 60 minutes by SEC team X, but when the one game check funds the MMK program for the year and allows them to grow there is a positive that comes from it.
Nothing to do with Herbstreit's point. Fowler set it up as a timing issue. Everyone plays patsies but the SEC is the only conference that allows them to be scheduled so late in the year. Herbstreit and Howard both addressed the timing issue and how they didn't like these games when the season is coming down to the wire. Corso's point was from the coaching perspective. Of course a coach is going to like having some fresh meat for his players to gnaw on before the big game. But it sucks from the fans' perspective to throw in a bunch of clunker games at this time of the year.

They were also laughing at the SEC coaches for acting like these opponents posed some sort of threat.
Of course that's the message, but these coaches are installing game plans into practice last week for the games this week...but won't actually say they are. Then players get into the actual game and it's a vanilla game plan.

They were also laughing at the SEC coaches for acting like these opponents posed some sort of threat.
Of course that's the message, but these coaches are installing game plans into practice last week for the games this week...but won't actually say they are. Then players get into the actual game and it's a vanilla game plan.
Herbstreit addressed this too. If you want 2 weeks to prepare for your rival schedule an open date.

UCLA -4 v Stanford

UNC -6 v NC State

UGA -14 v GT

Oregon -18 @ Oregon St

Alabama -9 v Auburn

FSU -9 v Florida

Clemson -4.5 v SoCar

Ole Miss PK v Miss St

USC -7 v ND
Surprised AU/UA line is only -9. That'll get bigger later in the week.

UCLA -4 v Stanford

UNC -6 v NC State

UGA -14 v GT

Oregon -18 @ Oregon St

Alabama -9 v Auburn

FSU -9 v Florida

Clemson -4.5 v SoCar

Ole Miss PK v Miss St

USC -7 v ND
Take USC and the points. ND has outright quit on Kelly. He's completely lost the team this year.

Herbstreit addressed this too. If you want 2 weeks to prepare for your rival schedule an open date.
The season would need to be extended a week for that to happen.

UCLA -4 v Stanford

UNC -6 v NC State

UGA -14 v GT

Oregon -18 @ Oregon St

Alabama -9 v Auburn

FSU -9 v Florida

Clemson -4.5 v SoCar

Ole Miss PK v Miss St

USC -7 v ND
Take USC and the points. ND has outright quit on Kelly. He's completely lost the team this year.
Yeah but that's a big rivalry game. Also ND has been the more physical team this year.

I think the Oregon State line is too big. Oregon will win that game, but it might be closer than that.

They don't take bye weeks earlier in the season?

Not really.

Why have an open date at a great college with a great following? Doesn't seem to make much sense to turn away revenue.

An extra cupcake game is a sure way to bring in more funds for the school and other athletics. Some fans are going to every game whether it is against Alabama, or Alabama Northeastern Tech Community College.

AAABatteries said:
I think I agree - I don't think FSU is the best team though. This is why a 4 or 8 team playoff was important IMO - before it was just a guess as to who was best. I think whoever ends up winning the playoff will be deemed a more true champion. Especially if we get to 8 teams.
Playoffs don't really reward the best teams, especially in football. That's never been a problem for fans of any other sport though.

Why have an open date at a great college with a great following? Doesn't seem to make much sense to turn away revenue.

An extra cupcake game is a sure way to bring in more funds for the school and other athletics. Some fans are going to every game whether it is against Alabama, or Alabama Northeastern Tech Community College.
Every school in the country has at least 1 and most have 2. The issue is when they occur.

Every school in the country has at least 1 and most have 2. The issue is when they occur.
I see that point and I agree that late in the season it doesn't look as good as your first or second game. I think the SEC which was accused of this by ESPN had historically been considered the best conference, and they needed a week to rest from the rigors of playing each other all season long. Hell ESPN are the people who are putting the SEC on a pedestal with how hard the "grind" is each and every week. Give those SEC teams a break ESPN, they are basically playing a NFL schedule.

Give those SEC teams a break ESPN, they are basically playing a NFL schedule.
Uhh,no.
Hey, if ESPN says they are playing in the toughest conference in America who are we to argue? Everyone has heard (although silly) the arguments that Alabama in years past could have beaten "X" NFL team who was sucking that year. The NFL has a bye week, so NFL lite SEC should get one as well, or allowed to play a DIV 3 school without blowback.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Christo said:
It's a fact that they do.

Today is the 1-year anniversary of the proof.
That game result is the schtick that keeps on giving. I've been a real ### to my friends out it, trying to make up for the lost decade worth of beating I took.

Dickie Dunn said:
gump said:
Christo said:
gump said:
Christo said:
They don't take bye weeks earlier in the season?
It's doable...LSU and TAMU did it this year...but they're both playing 8 and 9 weeks in a row to start the season. I'm sure not many want to do that.

Some Big 12 schools have 3 byes.

Users who are viewing this thread