What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2015 Cowboys Thread- 4-12. We won the 4th pick! (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure what to expect. The first week is always a goat rodeo. I think the Cowboys defense can play better than they did. The Falcons, who have been a putrid running team in recent years, ran well against the eagles....Im gonna go with whoever wins the turnover battle wins the game

Last edited by a moderator:
I am excited about the outlook for this team overall. This will be a tough game. I am very concerned about the lack of depth at DE. Dlaw, Mincey and the rookie 5th rounder. That's it. That's not a receipt for success against an uptempo team.

On the plus side, Dallas should still be able to score points. Assuming Romo can get time. I don't think the Eagles' secondary will hold up if Romo can stand in the pocket and survey the field. I also like the matchup of Dunbar/McFadden against the outside LBs. Significant speed mismatch.

This game turns on 2 things. Turnovers is always a big issue. The other is ball control. Both teams want to methodically work the ball down the field. Both at their own tempos. If one team gets a significant number of play advantage, that is a likely determinant of the outcome

I am excited about the outlook for this team overall. This will be a tough game. I am very concerned about the lack of depth at DE. Dlaw, Mincey and the rookie 5th rounder. That's it. That's not a receipt for success against an uptempo team.

On the plus side, Dallas should still be able to score points. Assuming Romo can get time. I don't think the Eagles' secondary will hold up if Romo can stand in the pocket and survey the field. I also like the matchup of Dunbar/McFadden against the outside LBs. Significant speed mismatch.

This game turns on 2 things. Turnovers is always a big issue. The other is ball control. Both teams want to methodically work the ball down the field. Both at their own tempos. If one team gets a significant number of play advantage, that is a likely determinant of the outcome
Paragraph 3 is spot on. That will decide the game. I think Romo will move the ball just fine, and the Eagles don't have a deep threat.

If the eagles offense is clicking they don't need a deep threat. Its death by a thousand paper cuts. This offense worries me quite a bit. They have a lot of weapons. On the flipside, we should be able to move the ball on them. Although, Im not very excited about our running game. I think Beasely is going to have busy afternoon.

Just heard on NFL Network that during surgery, Dez also needed a bone graft. They've now changed his return from 4-6 weeks to 10-12 weeks.

2-0. No Dez, No Romo. Gotta win the next 2 games and then pray we can stay close to .500 ball by Week 12.

I love beating Philly, but I am sick about the injuries.

Well, Weeden came in and looked decent...........I have no faith he can look decent on a consistent basis. At least he gets to take all the 1st team snaps this week......but Atlanta's D has all week to prepare for him. Luckily, we get more defensive help in the coming weeks. Sean Lee was a BEAST today! Great to have him out there.

Week 10 @ TB looks likely to be a target date for the return of Dez and Romo. If they can manage to be 4-4 by then, going 2-6 in these games, they should be looking good. A win against ATL or @NO would be huge -- especially since the team get McClain, Hardy back for NE and Gregory back (most likely) @NE.

ATL

@NO

NE

-

@NY

SEA
PHI

Basically the Cowboys season rests in the hands of the defense. This statement 13 months ago would sound insane... not as much now.

Cut down on the penalties, utilize Dunbar more in the passing game and no more injuries. Weeden cannot play like he did against Arizona.

Has any team in memory lost so many top guys this early in the season? Romo, Dez, Hardy, Scandrick, McClain. All All-pro or Pro-bowl level players. Add in potential starters Gregory and Leary. That is 7 starters down by week 2 of which 5 are pro bowl caliber or higher. What percentage of the salary cap do these guys represent?

If this team can continue to win games, it will be a strong testament to both Garrett's coaching as well as the front office's ability to find quality players throughout the roster. It's hard to believe that any team could be successful with that level of talent depletion. It will be interesting to see if this team can.

Has any team in memory lost so many top guys this early in the season? Romo, Dez, Hardy, Scandrick, McClain. All All-pro or Pro-bowl level players. Add in potential starters Gregory and Leary. That is 7 starters down by week 2 of which 5 are pro bowl caliber or higher. What percentage of the salary cap do these guys represent?

If this team can continue to win games, it will be a strong testament to both Garrett's coaching as well as the front office's ability to find quality players throughout the roster. It's hard to believe that any team could be successful with that level of talent depletion. It will be interesting to see if this team can.
The Packers are working on matching you guys right now.....

The Packers are working on matching you guys right now.....
The Packers Superbowl team from a few years ago comes to mind. I think they lost 11 or more guys to IR that year. The Giants almost always have major injuries. They need a new training staff or something.

This just sucks for Tony.

Time run the #### outta ball and play good defense!

Our o line has been good in pass blocking, so hopefully Weeden can have success......can we get kellen Moore ready to roll?

Just need to win 3 out of the next 8 games. We have a bye week in between. Our schedule lightens up a little on the back half.

I am a little bit at a loss today, but here goes. Observations:

-Sean Lee was fantastic. I don't think he was blocked all game. He really helped clog up the Eagles run game.

-Either the Cowboys defensive coaches solved Chip's run blocking scheme, the Eagles offensive line played horrible, or the Cowboys dline is dominant, but Murray had no chance to run anywhere when as soon as he touched the ball, somebody was on him. I think it is probably a combination of all three which is very scary for the Eagles going forward.

-Either the Eagles don't have a deep threat now, or Bradford is relunctant to through deep. Either way, the Eagles took no shots down field. Again, bad sign for the Eagles going forward.

-Randle is very slipperly, and probably got close to 30 extra yards after first contact. That was huge for the offense as a lot of 2nd and 12's turned into 2nd and 7's, which made the offense that much easier to run.

-The blocked punt was huge. Would have been interesting to see where that game ended up without that. Also the botched snap after the big play by Maxwell also was huge. Eagles kept shooting themselves in the foot.

Going Forward:

-While it looks bad with Romo and Bryant out, the Cowboys have 3 really good things going for them right now: a really good offensive line which should allow the Cowboys to keep running the ball, a strong young defense which is starting to have an impact on the other teams offense, and really good coordinators who are either matching or outcoaching the other team.

-With a running game and a strong defense, Weeden doesn't have to go out and be the hero. He just has to be patient and limit the mistakes.

-I'm not sure what to make of the Eagles right now. Bradford looks a little bit lost right now. Kelly's offense is being stopped way too consistently. No deep balls. The defense played very well yesterday, but were on the field all game. I had very high expectations for this team, but now they have serious questions on offense. I am trying to be patient and not overreact as a fan, but they are already in a big hole. Sometimes being an Eagle fan isn't the gift that everybody thinks it is (Sarcasm).

Sign of the Apocalypse: With the Cowboys injuries and the Eagles sucking, the Redskins now have a shot at winning the division. Who would have thought?

the only thing causing me to not give up on the season is the ridiculously poor shape that everyone in our division is in

I am a little bit at a loss today, but here goes. Observations:

-Sean Lee was fantastic. I don't think he was blocked all game. He really helped clog up the Eagles run game.

-Either the Cowboys defensive coaches solved Chip's run blocking scheme, the Eagles offensive line played horrible, or the Cowboys dline is dominant, but Murray had no chance to run anywhere when as soon as he touched the ball, somebody was on him. I think it is probably a combination of all three which is very scary for the Eagles going forward.

-Either the Eagles don't have a deep threat now, or Bradford is relunctant to through deep. Either way, the Eagles took no shots down field. Again, bad sign for the Eagles going forward.

-Randle is very slipperly, and probably got close to 30 extra yards after first contact. That was huge for the offense as a lot of 2nd and 12's turned into 2nd and 7's, which made the offense that much easier to run.

-The blocked punt was huge. Would have been interesting to see where that game ended up without that. Also the botched snap after the big play by Maxwell also was huge. Eagles kept shooting themselves in the foot.

Going Forward:

-While it looks bad with Romo and Bryant out, the Cowboys have 3 really good things going for them right now: a really good offensive line which should allow the Cowboys to keep running the ball, a strong young defense which is starting to have an impact on the other teams offense, and really good coordinators who are either matching or outcoaching the other team.

-With a running game and a strong defense, Weeden doesn't have to go out and be the hero. He just has to be patient and limit the mistakes.

-I'm not sure what to make of the Eagles right now. Bradford looks a little bit lost right now. Kelly's offense is being stopped way too consistently. No deep balls. The defense played very well yesterday, but were on the field all game. I had very high expectations for this team, but now they have serious questions on offense. I am trying to be patient and not overreact as a fan, but they are already in a big hole. Sometimes being an Eagle fan isn't the gift that everybody thinks it is (Sarcasm).

Sign of the Apocalypse: With the Cowboys injuries and the Eagles sucking, the Redskins now have a shot at winning the division. Who would have thought?
Good points made.

If Sean Lee stays on the field, hes arguably the best sideline to sideline LB in the league....just a tackling machine.

After two weeks, this is anyone's division. U guys will get rolling at some point....too many weapons. I think Murray needs more touches to be effective too.

I'm praying Weeden can be a game manager. I'm praying that our running ga me can be successful.....I think we see cmike soon

the only thing causing me to not give up on the season is the ridiculously poor shape that everyone in our division is in
Eagles will get rollin
perhapsi do not think it is a given that they will turn this around, they have looked pretty poor
Yes they have, and I love it!

I hope they don't turn it around. But I think definately have the ability to win the division.....especially once Romo went down. Bradford does not not look great right now though.

Eagles will get rollin
perhapsi do not think it is a given that they will turn this around, they have looked pretty poor

I hope they don't turn it around. But I think definately have the ability to win the division.....especially once Romo went down. Bradford does not not look great right now though.
honestly, i think the division is wide open right now

the issue with the eagles is can Chip adapt if his system is not working, or will he ride his system till the bitter end. Maybe the players adapt to the system, but the clock is ticking

Eagles will get rollin

honestly, i think the division is wide open right nowthe issue with the eagles is can Chip adapt if his system is not working, or will he ride his system till the bitter end. Maybe the players adapt to the system, but the clock is ticking
Agreed.....chip looked so uncomfortable when they showed him on the sideline. Maybe contemplating the bradford/foles trade?

The Cowboys are lucky that they play in what is the worst division in all of football. All they have to do is go 4 -4 the next 8 weeks and they will be looking pretty good to make a nice run once Dez and Romo are back.

Lots of winnable games in the next few weeks too...Saints, Bucs, Falcons, Giants and Eagles again, Panthers, Seahawks.....
With Weedon at QB, and without Dez (and others)--I'm careful about labeling any game as winnable. I have to see Weedon not be complete and utter garbage over the stretch of an entire game first.

I don't see 4 and 4 as likely. I see us as underdogs against everyone but TB and NO, which are not givens anymore. Even if we beat the two, I think we'll have done well to beat one of CAR, SEA, NYG, PHI, ATL.

Lots of winnable games in the next few weeks too...Saints, Bucs, Falcons, Giants and Eagles again, Panthers, Seahawks.....
With Weedon at QB, and without Dez (and others)--I'm careful about labeling any game as winnable. I have to see Weedon not be complete and utter garbage over the stretch of an entire game first.

I don't see 4 and 4 as likely. I see us as underdogs against everyone but TB and NO, which are not givens anymore. Even if we beat the two, I think we'll have done well to beat one of CAR, SEA, NYG, PHI, ATL.
Yea, we could easily lose all these games. Luckily our defense is solid, and will only get better as key guys come back.....but, if the offense is constantly going 3 and out, having a good D doesn't matter too much.....unless they're in really, really good shape.

When was the last time any NFL team made an inseason (technically in preseason for Michael?) trade for a QB, a RB, and a WR in the same season? Has that EVER happened before?

2-0 yeah

Dez/Romo and now Witten nursing multiple injuries has me worried. The Cowboys are a dumpster fire on offense. I hope the defense can keep winning games for us.

If I were the Cowboys, I'd sign Tre McBride, Fred Williams, and Nick Toon.

Draft sorta sleeper darling, preseason gem, and you looked promising.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a player or two in there that can contribute right away. Williams reminds me of Orande Grandeson and guys that came from other leagues to prove determination is such an important trait for WRs.

Get all of them RBs in and if they still look rough then go after some PS RBs til ya get a couple that stick.

Week 10 @ TB looks likely to be a target date for the return of Dez and Romo. If they can manage to be 4-4 by then, going 2-6 in these games, they should be looking good. A win against ATL or @NO would be huge -- especially since the team get McClain, Hardy back for NE and Gregory back (most likely) @NE.

ATL

@NO

NE

-

@NY

SEA

PHI

Basically the Cowboys season rests in the hands of the defense. This statement 13 months ago would sound insane... not as much now.
Good post. Amazing how things change so quickly in the NFL. The hopes of the Cowboys rests with their defense. Wow.

So from a fantasy angle, have most people dropped Romo, or think that he comes back effectively to help your team after T-giving? Hard to hold a roster spot in short-bench leagues, and hard to know what the Boys will look like by then with so many injuries. But also hard to drop a guy like Romo who may contribute to some playoff squads.

So from a fantasy angle, have most people dropped Romo, or think that he comes back effectively to help your team after T-giving? Hard to hold a roster spot in short-bench leagues, and hard to know what the Boys will look like by then with so many injuries. But also hard to drop a guy like Romo who may contribute to some playoff squads.
Obviously that depends who your other QB is right now, and how deep your league is. If you have a guy like Dalton, Palmer, Brady, etc then yes he's droppable. He's likely only back for fantasy playoffs and he's not a top 5 fantasy qb once he's back. Probably wouldn't waste the roster spot unless you have the 18+ roster spots. He was dropped in 4 of my 5 big money leagues that have 20 roster spots

My team is a dumpster fire right now, so since misery loves company, how are you guys doing?

Do you think the Cowboys lose the next 3 (NE, @NYG, Sea)? I had predicted initially that the Cowboys could go .500 without Dez and Romo because their Oline and defense would be good enough to keep them going, but after Sunday's lose I am not so sure. 2-5 looks like a very strong possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread