What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (1 Viewer)

I dislike our fanbase more and more with every passing day.
Are you talking about this forum, talk radio, or anything in particular? I haven't been listening to talk radio all that much lately.
Mainly talk radio and the ones here that are pretty much talk radio.

I mean seriously, someone above mentioned a F'ing pre-seasom game for Christs sake.

I usually like the offseason but these last 2 years have been killing me.

I just don't get it. 3rd most in offensive points scored last year. 22nd in points allowed by defense.

Better play calls from the 1 at the end of the San Fran game (maybe run your pro bowl RB?) and some tacit defense against Arizona at the end of the game and this team is 10-0 going into GB and Foles goes out 8-0 instead of 6-2. This, without the best deep threat from previous year, Maclin returning from injury, a rookie WR and Reilly Cooper catching passes.

But yeah, replacing Foles is more pressing than addressing the numerous issues on the other side of the ball. Forget for a second that the offense needs far less work than the defense, its not like this is a question of taking a stud corner vs. Mariota because they both will be there. We'll have to give up multiple picks that could have an immediate impact to get whatever 'upgrade' that Mariota brings.

Nick Foles in 28 games 46 TDs, 17 ints, 6753 yds for 61.6%. Not seeing how he's the problem other than he's been injured a lot. That's more on the oline and luck though. Stafford was hurt the first 3 years of his career also but now he's a perrenial 4500 yd guy.
Did you watch him play last year?
Yes I did. Behind a line that had 4 backups. When he also took a cheap shot in the 3rd game of the year and still gutted out a 6-2 record which would ha e been 7-1 if not for a Nate Allen mental lapse.
Defense and special teams didn't have anything to do with their start.

I just don't get it. 3rd most in offensive points scored last year. 22nd in points allowed by defense.

Better play calls from the 1 at the end of the San Fran game (maybe run your pro bowl RB?) and some tacit defense against Arizona at the end of the game and this team is 10-0 going into GB and Foles goes out 8-0 instead of 6-2. This, without the best deep threat from previous year, Maclin returning from injury, a rookie WR and Reilly Cooper catching passes.

But yeah, replacing Foles is more pressing than addressing the numerous issues on the other side of the ball. Forget for a second that the offense needs far less work than the defense, its not like this is a question of taking a stud corner vs. Mariota because they both will be there. We'll have to give up multiple picks that could have an immediate impact to get whatever 'upgrade' that Mariota brings.
I get what you are saying (and i'm not an eagles fan) but it's worth an entire draft if you know a guy is going to be a 10-year franchise QB. Is that Mariota? I don't know. But it's definitely worth it if he plays like a top 10 franchise QB. He doesn't have to even be the next Manning. If he plays as well as a Matt Ryan or Cam Newton he's still worth it.

Front offices will never admit it but getting to the playoffs every year for a decade is more important than winning the Super Bowl once and missing it the rest of the years. The fans don't think that, but having a team in the hunt every year, even if they fall short, is the best way to keep the financials looking good (and fans interested).

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you take away the defense and special teams scores? They had TDs on 2 punts, 2 kickoffs, 2 fumbles, 2 INTs and 3 blocked kicks. They were 4th in the league in total TDs with 54. When you take those away they had 43 offensive TDs.

That puts them behind: GB, DEN, DAL, IND, NE and NO

Tied with: PIT, BAL and NYG

Rumor mill has the Eagles the faves to sign Byron Maxwell. The price is steep (10 mill per year) but let's face it they need him.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/2/20/8077641/nfl-rumors-eagles-byron-maxwell-free-agency-seahawks-front-runners-sign
This is exciting. I don't care if he's only worth 8-9 million and we give him 10. We have the room, that 1-2 won't make a ton of a difference. Also makes our draft so much less stressful and we won't have to reach for a CB in round 1 (but if a good one is there, that would be awesome to acquire him and Maxwell). Go get him.

Rumor mill has the Eagles the faves to sign Byron Maxwell. The price is steep (10 mill per year) but let's face it they need him.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/2/20/8077641/nfl-rumors-eagles-byron-maxwell-free-agency-seahawks-front-runners-sign
This is exciting. I don't care if he's only worth 8-9 million and we give him 10. We have the room, that 1-2 won't make a ton of a difference. Also makes our draft so much less stressful and we won't have to reach for a CB in round 1 (but if a good one is there, that would be awesome to acquire him and Maxwell). Go get him.
Amen to that. Hell, if they keep Cary Williams (they're not) he'd count 8 mill towards the cap. He's no where near worth that.

Did you take away the defense and special teams scores? They had TDs on 2 punts, 2 kickoffs, 2 fumbles, 2 INTs and 3 blocked kicks. They were 4th in the league in total TDs with 54. When you take those away they had 43 offensive TDs.

I was assuming the bolded meant those points scored on offense only?

I dislike our fanbase more and more with every passing day.
Are you talking about this forum, talk radio, or anything in particular? I haven't been listening to talk radio all that much lately.
Mainly talk radio and the ones here that are pretty much talk radio.

I mean seriously, someone above mentioned a F'ing pre-seasom game for Christs sake.

I usually like the offseason but these last 2 years have been killing me.
Don't classify. Do you know why I mentioned the preseason game? Because he looked indecisive from DAY ONE last year. Just not the same QB. Do you disagree?

Since I'm bored, I took all the teams rushing/receiving touchdowns and field goals. So removed all special team and defensive scores. Eagles wind up 6th in the league.

Edit: And if all you care about is touchdowns, they're tied for 7th.

jasvic said:
CentralPA said:
Snotbubbles said:
unckeyherb said:

Since I'm bored, I took all the teams rushing/receiving touchdowns and field goals. So removed all special team and defensive scores. Eagles wind up 6th in the league.

Plus you have to assume a non-zero percentage of those ST/DEF TDs would have resulted in offensive scoring. For all the ST/DEF scores, the offense didn't get a possession.

jasvic said:
CentralPA said:
Snotbubbles said:
unckeyherb said:

Plus you have to assume a non-zero percentage of those ST/DEF TDs would have resulted in offensive scoring. For all the ST/DEF scores, the offense didn't get a possession.
You can go crazy analyzing the stats in a team game like this. Bottom line is, Foles didn't look great behind a garbage offensive line and no running game, but always had the team in a position to win. Sanchez moved the ball pretty well when the line was healthy and he wasn't giving it away like a girl on prom night. Combined, the Eagles offense was in the top 10. Last year (2013) Foles showed enough to make you think he can lead this team to score plenty of points, definitely enough to be the starter in 2015, and the team needs to focus on shoring up the defense and adding youth/depth to the offensive line. Just my opinion.

jasvic said:
CentralPA said:
Snotbubbles said:
unckeyherb said:

That's been my biggest beef with the Mariota crowd. How much more are we going to improve on offense with him? We averaged 25 ppg last year taking out the DST TDs. Denver and GB averaged 29 ppg last year on offense and NE averaged 28. The previous year we averaged 27 ppg with a little more than half a season of Foles. So is Mariota going to improve us to over 30 a game? And is he going to do it in the next 2 seasons? Most QBs even the great ones struggle early on. We can't expect a guy to come in and be as good as a veteran QB. How does it improve a team that was 10-6 two straight seasons & finished in the top 5 in scoring both years?

Phenomena said:
unckeyherb said:

I get what you are saying (and i'm not an eagles fan) but it's worth an entire draft if you know a guy is going to be a 10-year franchise QB. Is that Mariota? I don't know. But it's definitely worth it if he plays like a top 10 franchise QB. He doesn't have to even be the next Manning. If he plays as well as a Matt Ryan or Cam Newton he's still worth it.

Front offices will never admit it but getting to the playoffs every year for a decade is more important than winning the Super Bowl once and missing it the rest of the years. The fans don't think that, but having a team in the hunt every year, even if they fall short, is the best way to keep the financials looking good (and fans interested).
I think it. It gives you plenty more chances to win a super bowl.

Agree about Mariotta. He at least maxes out the offense moreso than Foles can. So Insein it's not about guaranteeing more points and more wins, but being the better fit and hopefully for the next decade.

And PLEASE let the Maxwell rumor be true.

At least the discussion in here is a million times better than listening to Mickey Miss. When I heard Tony Bruno was going to compete against him I was thrilled. Hearing Bruno be Josh Ennis' wing man makes me feel like that Indian in the old pollution commercials. It's awful...

At least the discussion in here is a million times better than listening to Mickey Miss. When I heard Tony Bruno was going to compete against him I was thrilled. Hearing Bruno be Josh Ennis' wing man makes me feel like that Indian in the old pollution commercials. It's awful...
At least its better than Gargano calling everyone the Best and having a huge guffaw laugh over everything. Is he even on the station anymore?

At least its better than Gargano calling everyone the Best and having a huge guffaw laugh over everything. Is he even on the station anymore?
No he Gargano got sh!tcanned. Company won't talk about it. 94.1 pulled that out of Kelly's Playbook.

No he Gargano got ####canned. Company won't talk about it. 94.1 pulled that out of Kelly's Playbook.
That's a shame. Wonder what happened?

No he Gargano got ####canned. Company won't talk about it. 94.1 pulled that out of Kelly's Playbook.
probably another Craig Cartin like incident

I read on crossing broad that it was a contract dispute. Supposedly he's working on a deal with 97.5.

I read on crossing broad that it was a contract dispute. Supposedly he's working on a deal with 97.5.
Yes, his contract was up supposedly wanted more money than they wanted to pay him, so that was that. My listening of the afternoon show had waned, but I still liked Gargano and Ellis probably better than anyone on the station other than Didinger. I don't think that there was any specific incident and I don't know why people would expect WIP to talk about it.

edit: though a caller did ask Rob Ellis about what happened with Anthony last week, and Rob was pretty brusque, just saying "he moved on", so maybe something happened. I would have thought he would have said a little something more.

Innes is pretty annoying and Tony Bruno is such a vagabond, I would think that they would want something fresher, but I assume they know what they are doing. I kind of like getting Ellis back at night, because I'm rarely in the car from 1-6 anyway.

Falcons in the bidding for Maxwell too, doesn't help us that Quinn is their new head coach.

I'm starting to lean toward Kevin White as my 1st round man-crush that I hope Philly takes a shot on. A 6'3" guy with Desean Jackson speed.

But that also ASSUMES that they don't score at all on those 11 possessions.

Offense can't score if you're kicking off again.

Deamon said:
I'm starting to lean toward Kevin White as my 1st round man-crush that I hope Philly takes a shot on. A 6'3" guy with Desean Jackson speed.
What would the cost of this move up be though?
Exactly. I'm generally a fan of best player available, so if White were there at 20, I'd be happy to see him as an Eagle. That said, it's silly to trade up to grab a player that is NOT at a true need position. I'd be pretty upset to see that. I'd rather see them spend a 4th r 5th on a guy like Conley

JaxBill said:

But that also ASSUMES that they don't score at all on those 11 possessions.

Offense can't score if you're kicking off again.
But the same applies to the defense. If Foles fumbles the ball on the 20 and the defense only gives up a FG that still counts against their scoring defense or if the defense intercepts the ball in FG range and the offense doesn't move the ball it counts towards scoring offense.

Deamon said:
Exactly. I'm generally a fan of best player available, so if White were there at 20, I'd be happy to see him as an Eagle. That said, it's silly to trade up to grab a player that is NOT at a true need position. I'd be pretty upset to see that. I'd rather see them spend a 4th r 5th on a guy like Conley
WR is a need. Right now we have Jordan Matthews as the only viable WR. We might be able to sign double ACL-tear Maclin. Then what? Riley Cooper? Ugh.

Deamon said:
WR is a need. Right now we have Jordan Matthews as the only viable WR. We might be able to sign double ACL-tear Maclin. Then what? Riley Cooper? Ugh.
Problem is that the same could be said for every position beside RB and DL.

Deamon said:
With that being said isn't even more impressive that we went 10-6?

I'm a fan of BPA and if it's a position out side of the 2 mentioned above im ok with them taking one. Maybe add TE to the list as well just because there doesn't seem to be any decent ones (that in aware of) this year.

As far as getting White goes, just toss that in the Mariota pile of things that won't happen.

Deamon said:
With that being said isn't even more impressive that we went 10-6?

I'm a fan of BPA and if it's a position out side of the 2 mentioned above im ok with them taking one. Maybe add TE to the list as well just because there doesn't seem to be any decent ones (that in aware of) this year.

As far as getting White goes, just toss that in the Mariota pile of things that won't happen.
Absolutely. A real testimony to Kelly's coaching.I'm with you on BPA. That's always been my preferred way to go. As the combine went on, I actually started to warm to the idea of a trade down to acquire more 2/3 rd picks if possible. There is a lot of talent at WR, DB, LB, DL, OL that will be going off the board in those rounds. Considering the lack of depth/teams needs it seems like the way to go unless a sure fire stud is there at 20.

Deamon said:
I'm assuming Maclin returns, (I thought) obviously

Worst Eagles first round pick?

-Kevin Allen 1985

-Mike Mamula, 1995

-Jon Harris, 1997

-Danny Watkins, 2011
Has to be Jon Harris. Was just talking about him this morning. I remember watching the draft on ESPN and no one had any clue what to say and they had zero footage prepared. I think they just found a still image to throw on the screen. It was embarrassing.

Users who are viewing this thread