What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (1 Viewer)

Chip has already demonstrated that he knows how to coach an NFL team, now we'll find out if he can run one. I'm on board with his moves so far, assuming that he plans to use this bounty of cap space to aggressively pursue defensive playmakers.

After sleeping on it for a night (I was intitially pissed) I see it as a good move. McCoy is 27 and maybe has another two good years left before he falls off the cliff. More cap space for what seems to be a very actiuve FA period for the Eagles coming. As far as what this shows for Chip's plan for the NFL draft is, anything could happen. But all signs now seem ot be pointing to going after Mariota, which I still don't think is a good idea.
If we just cut McCoy would you still feel this way? It seems like they were just going to release him and were just going through the motions until they found someone who was interested. The same would have happened with Jackson last year IMO.

Trading up for Mariotta and giving a ton would be a bad move especialy when we are adding need after need with every passing day it seems. Right now we need like 3 DB's, 2 OLB's, OL (maybe a starter?), a WR and a RB. Some will be addressed in FA for sure but we're going to need picks as well. This trade with McCoy comes off as smart, wheras the Mariotta one would come off as stupid IMO.
Well you hope Marcus Smith will fill one of the OLB spots. At least two UFA will be DBs. Tobin and Barbre are more than fine to replace Herremans. Maclin should be re-signed. RB might be the most easily filled position in football.
After seeing and hearing about Smith last season you are doing nothing but hoping he can be active let alone fill in for 2 guys who gave us 12 sacks last season.

Im not going trough all the players. My point is that we're looking at needing 8-10 players who are starters or could get tons of snaps. For a guy who preaches about culture like Chip does I dont see him doing that with big name FA's. If its about culture that reads like picks to me.

Shady is pissed. Apparently Buffalo can still pull out of this deal, which worries me. Would hate to have him back now.
Have to agree here. Shady might try to block the deal by demanding a new contract. (Even though he just signed one.) Then Buffalo pulls out, and what are we left with? A disgruntled player who we probably end up cutting.

After sleeping on it for a night (I was intitially pissed) I see it as a good move. McCoy is 27 and maybe has another two good years left before he falls off the cliff. More cap space for what seems to be a very actiuve FA period for the Eagles coming. As far as what this shows for Chip's plan for the NFL draft is, anything could happen. But all signs now seem ot be pointing to going after Mariota, which I still don't think is a good idea.
If we just cut McCoy would you still feel this way? It seems like they were just going to release him and were just going through the motions until they found someone who was interested. The same would have happened with Jackson last year IMO.

Trading up for Mariotta and giving a ton would be a bad move especialy when we are adding need after need with every passing day it seems. Right now we need like 3 DB's, 2 OLB's, OL (maybe a starter?), a WR and a RB. Some will be addressed in FA for sure but we're going to need picks as well. This trade with McCoy comes off as smart, wheras the Mariotta one would come off as stupid IMO.
I think from a calculative stand point Chip is going to use the cap room to fill those needs then do whatever it take to get up to one or two to get Mariota. Which I don't think would be smart. Just a thought though, i hope this isn't the case.

Shady is pissed. Apparently Buffalo can still pull out of this deal, which worries me. Would hate to have him back now.
Have to agree here. Shady might try to block the deal by demanding a new contract. (Even though he just signed one.) Then Buffalo pulls out, and what are we left with? A disgruntled player who we probably end up cutting.
Yeah, no sure who released this information but there is still a ton of time for this to become offical. But maybe there is something in place that Buffalo can't renigh.

I think from a calculative stand point Chip is going to use the cap room to fill those needs then do whatever it take to get up to one or two to get Mariota. Which I don't think would be smart. Just a thought though, i hope this isn't the case.
I agree but to a point. He always had the final say and we had money and needs last year but we went with "culture" guys. Jenkins instead of Byrd type of moves. As much as I would LOVE to have a guy like Suh I dont think Chip would spend the money for him even if we had it and needed the position. I think we're going to fill those spots but Im thinking its with smart, high character guys who were captains on their teams etc.

He seems to be doing what pretty much all GM's do this time of the year and thats getting rid of older or aging guys with big cap numbers

Heard some nitwit on the radio saying that Chip's stated desire to build "culture" was just code for racism. Doesn't want guys who are "too black" or have "too much mouth." Usually that level of stupidity angers me, but this time I had to laugh. No shortage of idiots out there.

Heard some nitwit on the radio saying that Chip's stated desire to build "culture" was just code for racism. Doesn't want guys who are "too black" or have "too much mouth." Usually that level of stupidity angers me, but this time I had to laugh. No shortage of idiots out there.
Typical sports radio caller.

That's when you sit him down and tel him he can either go to Buffalo and collect 10 Mil or be on the Eagles roster until the last minute before final cutdowns and sign for pennies on the dollar.

At least after this move we can all not stress or debate over if he's going to try for MM. We know it's happening now and we can focus on other FA signings. Let's just hope the asking price isn't too high.

As an Oregon State fan, it's really painful having all these Ducks come aboard haha.

Rumours out now about our interest in Mark Ingram. Thoughts? I still want Spiller and think he's better suited for Chip's offense, but this could be a good consolation prize. Imagine if he turned into a stud next year. Saints fans would just hate the Eagles so much haha.

Deamon said:
Rumours out now about our interest in Mark Ingram. Thoughts? I still want Spiller and think he's better suited for Chip's offense, but this could be a good consolation prize. Imagine if he turned into a stud next year. Saints fans would just hate the Eagles so much haha.
I said it back in September he'd be a good fit. Hits the hole decisively and with power. I do think they draft a guy too in the 4th or 5th.

Deamon said:
cstu said:
Essentially they cut Alonso and signed McCoy to a $10M contract. No way to frame it as a good deal for them (other than name value).
And basically we cut Mccoy and signed Alonso to a cheap contract. Pretty good for us.
Yeah, I don't get how anyone can argue against the theoretical logic of this deal. Only problem is if Alonso is really hampered by the injury, but I'm not sure that is particularly likely with ACL treatments these days. Get the 2013 near-DPOY on a cheap contract for a guy that there was a good chance would be cut.

Even better for the Eagles:

Part of Alonso’s allure, as mentioned earlier, is that he works cheap. The former second-round pick still has two years left on his rookie deal, which will pay him $795,546 in 2015 and $991,418 in 2016. Those are bargain-basement prices for a talented young linebacker. Because Alonso missed all of 2014 with a torn ACL and spent the season on the non-football injury list, his contract also dictates that he will become a restricted free agent after the 2016 season as opposed to the vast majority of second-round picks from his class, who will become unrestricted free agents. Barring the unexpected, that gives the Eagles three cost-controlled years from what appears to be an above-average young linebacker.

Deamon said:
His receiving is average, doesn't seem like a good fit.

Deamon said:
At least after this move we can all not stress or debate over if he's going to try for MM. We know it's happening now and we can focus on other FA signings. Let's just hope the asking price isn't too high.

As an Oregon State fan, it's really painful having all these Ducks come aboard haha.
:confused: Not sure where this leap comes in. If anything, the Eagles just used one bargaining chip in McCoy and it looks liek Kelly realizes that the defense has to be totally rebuilt.

Deamon said:
His receiving is average, doesn't seem like a good fit.
He had 1 more reception and a lower drop percentage than McCoy last year (in 3 fewer games). He'd fit just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deamon said:

:confused: Not sure where this leap comes in. If anything, the Eagles just used one bargaining chip in McCoy and it looks liek Kelly realizes that the defense has to be totally rebuilt.
I don't see it either, but I guess the argument would be that they will try to re-build the defense via trade/FA and not have to do that in the draft.

Deamon said:

1. He freed up a ton of room to sign defensive players in FA. Defensive players that he won't need to draft, so losing picks will be far less of a big deal.

2. He brought another Duck in. He is head over heals in love with his old players.

3. He made a huge splash and showed he will build the team he wants and doesn't care about anything else. If MM is the guy he likes, MM is the guy he is going to get.

Deamon said:

McCoy was not a valuable chip because of the price. This seems pretty obvious that he's not use ng picks to fix the defense. He's buying one because they'll be few pics left.

Deamon said:

1. He freed up a ton of room to sign defensive players in FA. Defensive players that he won't need to draft, so losing picks will be far less of a big deal.

2. He brought another Duck in. He is head over heals in love with his old players.

3. He made a huge splash and showed he will build the team he wants and doesn't care about anything else. If MM is the guy he likes, MM is the guy he is going to get.
1. So if he uses up the cap to fix the defense and trades away picks where does he get the players to replace the RB/Wr/OL depth needed?

2. He can stay at 20 (or possibly trade down a little) and get a Duck (Arick Armstead)

3. True. He will build the team he wants. He doesn't care about what the media says, including the media-driven Mariota frenzy.

Here's one to get your heads spinning and some of ya's lined up on a local bridge....

This is preposterous, but I felt the need to share. Mikey Miss just read an email from someone he knows with a "source", the trade is as follows and may be announced as early as March 6th. (for unsaid reasons)

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

Tampa's 1st overall and WR Mike Evans

:eek: :lmao:

Deamon said:
Im not sure how I feel about Ingram but Im not sure why there is such an infatuation with Spiller. He'll be a 28 year old RB, who has underachieved and is injury prone

If its not a Murray or Peterson just draft one

Here's one to get your heads spinning and some of ya's lined up on a local bridge....

This is preposterous, but I felt the need to share. Mikey Miss just read an email from someone he knows with a "source", the trade is as follows and may be announced as early as March 6th. (for unsaid reasons)

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

I believe him.

:coffee:

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

Tampa's 1st overall and WR Mike Evans :eek: :lmao:
I believe him. :coffee:
Dan Snyder buy the team?

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

This is the sort of thing that ruins credibility for people with a "source."

This is also the sort of trade that creates rules against trading multiple years of first round draft picks (see NBA rules).

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

amazing. At this point, honestly, nothing would surprise me.

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

The sad thing is we have a show host with such a hard-on for Mariotta that he gives an ounce of credibility to these people by reading their email on the air. Whatever disclaimer Missenelli gave first doesn't matter. He still gets off on the idea that the more he spouts it, the more true it becomes.

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

The sad thing is we have a show host with such a hard-on for Mariotta that he gives an ounce of credibility to these people by reading their email on the air. Whatever disclaimer Missenelli gave first doesn't matter. He still gets off on the idea that the more he spouts it, the more true it becomes.
he's un-listenable at this point.

Caller should have at least thrown in a random 6th or make one pick conditional or something to sell it.

The only thing he said before reading it was, "now what am I supposed to do with this" and read it anyway. Sports talk radio at its finest! :thumbup:

The only thing he said before reading it was, "now what am I supposed to do with this" and read it anyway. Sports talk radio at its finest! :thumbup:
Of course the logical thing to do with that would be to drop your pants and give yourself a good wipe.

I fully believe Chip is doing all he can to move up and probably will. We'll all think it was way too much to give up and most likely will be. Having said that, I'm only concerned with the product on the field. If this is the best way to build a long-term competitive team then so be it. Start going down hill with no plan to reverse it (see previous head coach) and its time to change what you're doing.

Even better for the Eagles:

Part of Alonso’s allure, as mentioned earlier, is that he works cheap. The former second-round pick still has two years left on his rookie deal, which will pay him $795,546 in 2015 and $991,418 in 2016. Those are bargain-basement prices for a talented young linebacker. Because Alonso missed all of 2014 with a torn ACL and spent the season on the non-football injury list, his contract also dictates that he will become a restricted free agent after the 2016 season as opposed to the vast majority of second-round picks from his class, who will become unrestricted free agents. Barring the unexpected, that gives the Eagles three cost-controlled years from what appears to be an above-average young linebacker.
great detail.

Plus, when Carlos takes over for Chase Utley, the Alonso brothers will run this town.

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

I'd do it if the 2017 picks weren't included.

Word is Dolphins have called offering Dion Jordan for Fletcher Cox. Chip considering...
I've come to expect better from you.
:P Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't hate this since McCoy probably only has a year or two left as far as being in his prime. It's pretty well established that RBs tail off badly after age 28. Alonso is a cheap, ascending player at a need position, which gives them a pair of fast, 3 down ILBs. I didn't think Ryans would play for the team again given how long it took him to truly recover from his last Achilles tear.

That said, it's certainly jarring to see an incredibly talented and productive player unceremoniously shown the door for the 2nd straight offseason. Was happy to see Cary go since his faux tough guy act was ridiculous and I'm pretty sure the pass D can suck just as well without him, whoever they replace him and Fletcher with, the results could hardly be worse. There were some good sconce jokes on Twitter too. Shame about Cole, he was always one of my favourites, Heremanns too but it was time for those moves to be made.

Kelly has a plan and he's decisively putting it in place so we'll see what happens in FA in a couple of weeks. :popcorn:

Billy Bats said:
Insein said:
I'd say Cobb but is he a #1? And wouldn't he cost more than Maclin? I don't know about this one.
Not sure I would count on him being a number 1, would LOVE to have him lined up opposite Maclin though, but that's obvious. I'm thinking he gets a little less than Maclin, in the 5-7m a year range.
Cobb supposedly turned down something in the $8-9m/yr range from the Packers, considering Cooper got $5m/yr roughly I think your figure's a bit low. I think the Packer's offer is probably a realistic price for Cobb. His career is quite similar to Maclin's though a little shorter. Couple of average years, an injury then a breakout season in a contract year.

Nick Foles +

2015 1, 2 and 3 +

2016 1, 2 and 3 +

2017 1 and 2

for

I'd do it if the 2017 picks weren't included.
Pretty sure it's a load of crap... But Mike Evans is a certified stud. beast.

but what the hell would be the point of MIke Evans + Mariotta? The two wouldnt work well together, imo.

Suh is from Oregon.
He was born in Portland, Oregon. He went to college in Nebraska.
yes hence the FROM OREGON that I said
What's the point to say he's from Oregon if other than to associate him with Chip Kelly's University of Oregon, in this Philly thread? Do you just drop into random threads, bring up random players and say what state they were born in? You're a lot of fun at parties I bet.

Your post belongs here: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/622317-ndamukong-suh-appreciation-thread/

And, ya'know, I wouldn't want anyone to associate the University of Nike Oregon with this scumbag.

Suh is from Oregon.
What's the point to say he's from Oregon if other than to associate him with Chip Kelly's University of Oregon, in this Philly thread? Do you just drop into random threads, bring up random players and say what state they were born in? You're a lot of fun at parties I bet.

Your post belongs here: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/622317-ndamukong-suh-appreciation-thread/

And, ya'know, I wouldn't want anyone to associate the University of Nike Oregon with this scumbag.
sorry thread cop, carry on

Given that the Eagles have alot of room, I think that Chip might go after a guy like Suh.

The Oregon thing was a joke, relax, smoke a joint, chill

Suh is from Oregon.

Ya I think it was pretty clearly a jestful joke, and joking that because Suh was even from the same state, maybe Chip would be after him. Not sure how you didn't catch that.

Deamon said:

1. So if he uses up the cap to fix the defense and trades away picks where does he get the players to replace the RB/Wr/OL depth needed?

2. He can stay at 20 (or possibly trade down a little) and get a Duck (Arick Armstead)

3. True. He will build the team he wants. He doesn't care about what the media says, including the media-driven Mariota frenzy.
1. To replace the depth needed at those positions he can also get in FA, or with the other draft picks. Likely we would need to give up our 1st + 2nd this year along with picks next year. Our 1st + 2nd this year could very well be spent on DB's, which we can get in FA instead. We likely will still have 4th, 5th, 6th, even 3rd rounders this year to draft. The comparison was something like: Maxwell+Mccourty+Mariota instead of Rookie CB+Rookie S+Foles.

2. I'm not comparing Mariota to Armstead. I'm saying he time and time again shows that he wants more Ducks on the team. This strengthens the case slightly that he potentially overvalues Ducks (wanting to take Hart in the third, reaching a bit on Huff, etc), and adding another one yesterday.

3. You can look at that however you want. I thought it was all media driven at first too, but there is a ton of reports out there. Lots are overblown, but where there is smoke, there is often fire. He's gonna get who he wants no matter what.

I'm not saying he's for sure going to do it, but I think it's more believable/likely that he goes after MM today then it was last week.

I'd like to see the SF CB pair and Rahim Moore as part of the big moves on defense. All are probably going to be around 5mil/yr. 3 players for the price of 2(Maxwell/Mccourty).

Anyone else think Trent Cole's the kind of guy who could finish his career with a couple of seasons on the Patriots? Seems like the kind of pro's pro they like.

Users who are viewing this thread