What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2017 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Parade of Champions Down Broad Street! (1 Viewer)

I posted the following in the game thread, but meant to post it here...

Cowboys fan here. Congrats on the win. It ended up going pretty much the way I envisioned. If there ever was a sure thing, Philly covering was it. I couldn't do it out of principle, though. :)

Can't wait for the rematch. It's going to be a completely different ballgame in week 17, but I think even you guys realize that.

I know Philly fans are loyal & it must feel really good to finally put together this kind of talent on both sides of the ball. Props.

I believe these two teams will be fighting it out for a long, long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboys fan here. Congrats on the win. It ended up going pretty much the way I envisioned. If there ever was a sure thing, Philly covering was it. I couldn't do it out of principle, though. 

Can't wait for the rematch. It's going to be a completely different ballgame in week 17, but I think even you guys realize that.

I know Philly fans are loyal & it must feel really good to finally put together this kind of talent on both sides of the ball. Props.

I think you're right, should be awesome watching these young QB's develop and battle it out year after year. :thumbup:

Cowboys fan here. Congrats on the win. It ended up going pretty much the way I envisioned. If there ever was a sure thing, Philly covering was it. I couldn't do it out of principle, though. 

Philly probably finishes no worse than 13-3, Cowboys will be lucky to still be in the wildcard hunt by week 17. Especially if they keep looking like this and given the teams ahead of them now. 

Wonder how Nick Wright and Skippy Boy use their lip service for Dallas tomorrow. Should be fun watching Wright cry like a B****
holy ####! i have off tomorrow so was looking to find these shows are both are 3 hours long each?? What the F do they talk about

Cowboys fan here. Congrats on the win. It ended up going pretty much the way I envisioned. If there ever was a sure thing, Philly covering was it. I couldn't do it out of principle, though. :)

If Smith, Lee, and Elliot are playing, and Hicks, Peters, and Sproles are still out for the season, yes it will be a different game. There is a good chance, though, that the game will not mean anything for at least one, and maybe both teams.

If Smith, Lee, and Elliot are playing, and Hicks, Peters, and Sproles are still out for the season, yes it will be a different game. There is a good chance, though, that the game will not mean anything for at least one, and maybe both teams.
With all due respect, I'm going to have to disagree.

Week 17 WILL absolutely be a different ballgame even if you guys have every single player available.

Trust me on that one, LOL.

Can’t remember the last time we had a team clicking on all levels like this.....DB’s making big plays, pass rush, Agholar turning into a playmaker coming back from the ashes, running game looking good. 

Had to be the good TO year? 

Super excited to watch Wentz develop over his career. Way ahead of where anyone could think he would be, playing with house money this year will be fun to watch. I think it will be a crapshoot once in the playoffs with teams like the Saints and Carolina but priceless experience. Not sure I could ask for anything more when the original plan was Bradford to play all last year and the kid from the small school would finally play this year and take his lumps. STUD. 

:hifive:

With all due respect, I'm going to have to disagree.

Week 17 WILL absolutely be a different ballgame even if you guys have every single player available.

Trust me on that one, LOL.
Alright Alright.  And yes, again we may not even be playing for anything week 17 (as others have mentioned).  You can't still think we won today because of those injuries.  Dallas in January and on the road is going to be tough even if we are playing for something.  Let's not talk about week 17 yet.  Come back then if you want.

This defense is really impressing me, especially the DB's.  It seems to be the "weakest" part of this defense but they're all just playing above their talent level.  I hope we give Schwartz any and everything that he wants to stick around.

Incredible that we didn't even give up a TD today.

Alright Alright.  And yes, again we may not even be playing for anything week 17 (as others have mentioned).  You can't still think we won today because of those injuries.  Dallas in January and on the road is going to be tough even if we are playing for something.  Let's not talk about week 17 yet.  Come back then if you want.
Hopefully, for us, week 17 will mean something.

I'm very confident if we're both at full strength. 

You guys certainly have more depth. That's one of  the things we have to fix.

Very few flags today.  It was nice.

Any news on Sturgis' status?
Hoping other teams copy the Eagles success & just drop kickers. Who needs these guys, just have the punter kickoff, go for it on fourth and run nothing but 2-pointers. You guys may have just found the formula that revitalizes the NFL,

yeah i expect an even bigger domination when we meet again.  we played a horrible first half of offensive football.   eagles wont be resting starters because saints are right behind us.  you guys will be dead men walking. 

yeah i expect an even bigger domination when we meet again.  we played a horrible first half of offensive football.   eagles wont be resting starters because saints are right behind us.  you guys will be dead men walking. 
You can expect all you want, my friend.

Expecting & what actually happens are two very different things.

Good chance that Philly will have nothing to play for and Dallas will see Nick Foles for that game. Both teams at full strength and Philly destroys them.  Funny how guys like Football Jones pray that the Cowboys will have 100% health and be at full strength, while Eagle fans know they aren't having Peters, Hicks, or Sproles for the rest of the season. And we're still rolling along.   :wub:

Wonder how Nick Wright and Skippy Boy use their lip service for Dallas tomorrow. Should be fun watching Wright cry like a B****
i made it about 10 minutes before turning this trash off. Dude says Eagles didn't get a 1st down in the 1st half... Guess being a sports analyst you don't have to watch the games? and their analysis was just silly,  :wall: .

Just goes to show you that even when they're not at their best they can still steam roll you.  This team is exciting and is going to be good for awhile.  On to Chitown at home.  Both feet down keep the pedal to the floor!

I'm here to apologize.  I apologize because I was one of those people who didn't have faith in Doug Pederson.  I thought he was Andy Reid 2.0, but a worse 2.0 version.  What I've seen from Doug is totally opposite.  He see's the value in running the ball.  He doesn't just play traditional football.  He see's what the opponent is doing and he makes adjustments.  I'm sorry Mr. Pederson.    

I'm here to apologize.  I apologize because I was one of those people who didn't have faith in Doug Pederson.  I thought he was Andy Reid 2.0, but a worse 2.0 version.  What I've seen from Doug is totally opposite.  He see's the value in running the ball.  He doesn't just play traditional football.  He see's what the opponent is doing and he makes adjustments.  I'm sorry Mr. Pederson.    
Same here, was very skeptical of the hiring but Doug Pederson knows what he is doing.

I don't think I saw it mentioned yet but I think Big V had a pretty good game.  Maybe we've found Jason Peter's replacment.  If we once again have two bookend tackles with an MVP caliber QB the future is OH so bright!

i think we should just use the lb for kickoffs and go for it every fourth down and 2pt conversion after every touchdown.  use the kicker roster spots for something else. :lmao:
You know Belichek watched that game last night and was like "Hmmm"

While Cowboys like to talk about their 'next man up' philosophy, Eagles live it

ARLINGTON — Injuries can be an explanation in the NFL but never an excuse.

Injuries help explain why the Cowboys were no match Sunday night for the NFC East-leading Philadelphia Eagles.

Their offense without suspended NFL rushing champion Ezekiel Elliott could not score a touchdown and their defense without Pro Bowl middle linebacker Sean Lee couldn't stop the run. The Eagles rushed for more than 200 yards on offense and harassed Dak Prescott into four turnovers in a 37-9 romp over the Cowboys.

"Guys get hurt," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "Guys get out of the lineup for different reasons. You just have to keep moving on. We haven't done a good enough job of that over the last couple of weeks."

The Cowboys are injury-riddled. Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith missed his second game with a groin injury. Pro Bowl kicker Dan Bailey has missed the last four games with a groin injury and safety Jeff Heath also sat out Sunday night with a concussion. Would the game have turned out differently had the Cowboys had been able to field a completely healthy team?

The same question could be asked of the Eagles.

Philadelphia was without its own Pro Bowl left tackle (Jason Peters) against the Cowboys. The Eagles also were without their Sean Lee (middle linebacker Jordan Hicks) and their Dan Bailey (kicker Caleb Sturgis). All three players are now on injured reserve.

Sturgis finished fourth in the NFL in scoring last season with 135 points. He suffered a hip injury in the opener and hasn't played since. Peters has gone to twice as many Pro Bowls (nine) as Smith. He has missed the last three games with a knee injury. Hicks finished second on the Eagles in tackles last season and first in interceptions with five. He has missed the last three games with an Achilles injury.

The Eagles acquired Ronald Darby in a trade with the Buffalo Bills last summer and he walked in as the team's best cornerback. But he suffered a dislocated ankle in the season opener and missed the next eight games. Darby returned against the Cowboys and had one of the three interceptions of Prescott.

The Eagles also played without their best defensive lineman, tackle Fletcher Cox, for two games this season because of a calf injury and played another game without their other starting offensive tackle, Lane Johnson, because of a concussion.

Darren Sproles is one of the best kick returners in NFL history, ranking seventh all-time in kickoff and punt return yardage with 11,142. He also is one of the top third-down backs in league history with 532 career receptions. The Eagles lost his services in the third game of the season when he dislocated his wrist. He's now on injured reserve, as is their special-teams ace Chris Maragos. He suffered a knee injury in the sixth game of the season.

"Nobody is going to feel sorry for us," said safety Rodney McLeod, who had another of the Prescott interceptions. "We're all professionals. We all prepare to play. That's a credit to the leaders on this team and the coaching staff having everyone ready. Everyone here looks at himself as a starter. Everyone has to be ready to go at any moment."

Which is why there was no panic when the Eagles lost kicker Jake Elliott in the first quarter Sunday night with a possible concussion. He made the tackle of Ryan Switzer on the game-opening kickoff but hung around to attempt two more kicks in the first quarter, an extra point after the first Philadelphia touchdown and then a 34-yard field-goal try. He was wide right — his first miss since September — and the Eagles decided he was done for the day.

That forced Philadelphia to go the rest of the way without a kicker. They scored four second-half touchdowns and attempted a two-point conversion each time, making three of them. When they found themselves in a fourth-and-five at the Dallas 17 on their final possession of the third quarter — and a field goal no longer an option — the Eagles went for it and Carson Wentz hit Alshon Jeffery with a touchdown pass.

"Losing a kicker is unique," said Eagles defensive end Chris Long. "But we've got great coaches — and everybody is coached to perform, not just to be a backup. Nobody panics. Everybody has a hand in this thing. When a guy steps up, it's a testament to our coaching."

TCU's Halapoulivaati Vaitai has filled in for Peters and was part of a blocking front that held the Cowboys sack-less for the first time this season and also pushed around the Dallas defensive front for those 215 rushing yards.

The Cowboys and Eagles both share the next-man-up philosophy. But the Eagles have overcome all of their injury adversity to post the best record in the NFL this season at 9-1. No explanations, no excuses. Next-man-up needs to be more than a mere talking point.

You know Belichek watched that game last night and was like "Hmmm"
I like the fact that we have so many different wrinkles in our short yardage playbook. If Ertz hadn't fumbled, we were 4 for 4 in 2-pt conversations. I'm actually wondering if the odds would make it worth going for two after every score.

I thought so too.  Just matter of fact about it.  We're just going to convert on 4th downs and score 2 points after TDs instead of 1.  Next question?
That's what I love about Doug. I wonder if being the backup QB always having to be prepared for worst case scenario has given him insight on all these coaching situations.

You only need to convert a little less than 50% of the time on 2-pt conversions to break even, versus kicking the XP. The Eagles were 75% last night, and an Ertz fumble from going 100%. Every percentage point higher over 50% a team can consistently convert at would give that team a bigger and bigger advantage. Analytics nerds would spontaneously combust if a team like the Eagles decided to commit 100% to 2-pt conversions.

What stinks about last night is that we had to break out a bunch of the 2-pt plays they have worked on and saved for months. Now they have to devise, and practice, all new plays.  

You only need to convert a little less than 50% of the time on 2-pt conversions to break even, versus kicking the XP. The Eagles were 75% last night, and an Ertz fumble from going 100%. Every percentage point higher over 50% a team can consistently convert at would give that team a bigger and bigger advantage. Analytics nerds would spontaneously combust if a team like the Eagles decided to commit 100% to 2-pt conversions.

What stinks about last night is that we had to break out a bunch of the 2-pt plays they have worked on and saved for months. Now they have to devise, and practice, all new plays.  
I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame teams got a look at some short yardage plays we had up our sleeve. On the other hand, we gave opponents so many different looks and options that I'm, not sure that it would really give them an advantage or just cause more confusion.  

Am I the only one who thought Torrey Smith scored that TD twice? Looked like he broke the plane when he caught it, even before spinning around and getting in again.

I like the fact that we have so many different wrinkles in our short yardage playbook. If Ertz hadn't fumbled, we were 4 for 4 in 2-pt conversations. I'm actually wondering if the odds would make it worth going for two after every score.
HIstoric odds of a two point conversion have always hovered around 50%. WIth the old XP length, it was pretty much a wash and it made sense to generally just kick it. AT the new length, it seems like going for 2 most of the time would become the right answer, but nobodies had the guts to actually embrace that yet.

HIstoric odds of a two point conversion have always hovered around 50%. WIth the old XP length, it was pretty much a wash and it made sense to generally just kick it. AT the new length, it seems like going for 2 most of the time would become the right answer, but nobodies had the guts to actually embrace that yet.
Doug's going to "accidentally" have the kicker get hurt every game now.

Regarding 2-pt conversion percentage, they flashed an infographic up last night that said the league average is something like 52%.  Prior to our first attempt, Eagles season long percentage was at like, 76%.  Then we converted on all of our attempts (minus the Ertz fumble).

honestly, keep it up.

Users who are viewing this thread