What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 San Francisco 49ers thread *** (4 Viewers)

Disagree that he's that bad. Last year he had hamstring issues and then the ACL. In 2016 he led the league in solo tackles, and in 2027 he was a pro bowler (not names as a starter, he replaced injured Bobby Wagner). He does have tackling issues but he had no help on that joke of a defense. Did they overpay? Probably, but that's how free agency goes, especially early on when players are setting the market prices.

We will see.
He has more missed tackles than any LB in the league. He doesn’t blitz well and he’s only ok in coverage. He’s great sideline to sideline but that’s about it. 

He’s really not good. The Bucs lost two better players yesterday in Djax and Humphries. 

I don't understand the contract either but when I read that someone lead the league in solo tackles and missed tackles doesn't that mean that the defense was on the field an awfully long time and perhaps the guys in front of him and around him haven't been doing their jobs very well? 

I haven't seen much of the Bucs in recent years but it seems that Winston and Fitzpatrick have been pretty turnover prone. 
It's easy to miss a lot of tackles when you're the only player on the field trying to make them. Go look at Kwons Twitter and see how many Buc fans are sad to see him leave. Why? Cuz he's a good person and a cool dude? Lol. 

Also, his contract has an out clause after 2 seasons if he doesn't pan out.

Look. He's 24, and according to PFF he was top 10 in pass rush grade and run stop grade before the injury. He's had terrible coaches and supporting cast since drafted, and is in a MUCH better situation now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's easy to miss a lot of tackles when you're the only player on the field trying to make them. Go look at Kwons Twitter and see how many Buc fans are sad to see him leave. Why? Cuz he's a good person and a cool dude? Lol. 

Also, his contract has an out clause after 2 seasons if he doesn't pan out.

Look. He's 24, and according to PFF he was top 10 in pass rush grade and run stop grade before the injury. He's had terrible coaches since drafted, and is in a MUCH better situation now. 
Come on Wingnut, this is 49er country.  We should be signing all the best FAs at below market price. 

Some 49ers fans talking about the Packers "killing it" in free agency (maybe they are) , but if SF had signed the same guys, they would be #####ing about it.  Just the way it is, at least with most 49ers fans who hang out on the forums.  

I would feel better about the Alexander signing if he wasn't coming off an ACL, so I understand that criticism.  Watched some highlights and the guy definitely has play making ability and the speed needed to cover in today's game, especially being in the same division as Gurley and Johnson.  Like the fact that it is essentially a two year deal.  

Disagree that he's that bad. Last year he had hamstring issues and then the ACL. In 2016 he led the league in solo tackles, and in 2017 he was a pro bowler (not names as a starter, he replaced injured Bobby Wagner). He does have tackling issues but he had no help on that joke of a defense. Did they overpay? Probably, but that's how free agency goes, especially early on when players are setting the market prices.

We will see.
PFF is down on him and the signing: https://twitter.com/pff/status/1105525621369786369?s=21 

this is already a lot like the discussion in here last preseason with some of the hardcore fans arguing that most of the 49ers roster was just nfl stars waiting to happen in contrast to all the other data out there.  

They way overpaid for this guy.  There is no doubt about it no matter how many excuses you make for him.  

Mosley at $17 per >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kwon at $13.5 per.

Think I'm going to start rooting for the Jags too - I'm the opposite of frontrunner. 

If we draft an edge rusher at #2, get a true WR1 (trade, FA, draft or however) , and draft or sign a CB and/or safety, we will be in great shape.

We haven't even seen what Shanahans vision is yet and don't really know how good this team is right now. I for one can't wait to see the offense with Jimmy, Jet and Breida on the field at the same time along with Kittle, especially if we add a WR1. The playbook will be wide open, and it will be fun to watch 

Well, if PFF is down on the deal, then it must be a bad signing.  Why even evaluate players anymore?  Just look at PFF and act accordingly.
Barnwell gave the signing a D+, so it’s not just PFF. 

I know nothing about Kwon, so I’m going to be reliant on the opinions of others. And, not withstanding the post from the 49ers fan blog Wingnut cited, it seems most objective people who know a lot more than me are killing the deal. So, it probably warrants criticism. Particularly because Lynch hasn’t given us any reason to think he’s smarter than the crowd on this stuff. Maybe everyone is wrong and he’ll be great, but the fact that we don’t know for sure yet isn’t sufficient to preclude critiques. 

Barnwell gave the signing a D+, so it’s not just PFF. 

I know nothing about Kwon, so I’m going to be reliant on the opinions of others. And, not withstanding the post from the 49ers fan blog Wingnut cited, it seems most objective people who know a lot more than me are killing the deal. So, it probably warrants criticism. Particularly because Lynch hasn’t given us any reason to think he’s smarter than the crowd on this stuff. Maybe everyone is wrong and he’ll be great, but the fact that we don’t know for sure yet isn’t sufficient to preclude critiques. 
I have a hard time taking PFF seriously since I got into a debate on another board with a guy who claimed Frank Gore was way below average in pass protection.  When I calmly and politely pointed out that he has his head up his ###, he pointed to PFF as backing up his assessment.  They did have Frank ranked low (and Dexter McCluster ranked in the top 10), so obviously, there data was skewed as Gore was considered excellent in pass protection by the people that count (Harbaugh at that time).   

Looks like the contract details are out and they can bail after year one with only a 2 million dead money hit.  Obviously, that wouldn't be ideal, but it minimizes the risk if he is a complete bust.  A risk for sure, but a lot of free agency is.  If they have a "feeling" about Alexander being an impact player, worth taking the risk as long as you minimize it, which they seem to have done with the contract structure.

Was hoping a deal could be worked out for Beckham.  Either OBJ or Brown would have made that offense fly.

Just ####......................

Was hoping a deal could be worked out for Beckham.  Either OBJ or Brown would have made that offense fly.

Just ####......................
They are more interested in overpaying an injured LB and possible trading for a one-hit-wonder pass rusher. Who is going to cost a ton. But hey we have Kendrick Bourne to pair with Kittle so it's all good.

49ers finalize trade with KC for Dee Ford.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/123982-49ers-finalize-trade-chiefs-offering-ford-5-year-million/

The San Francisco 49ers agreed to terms on a trade for Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Dee Ford on Tuesday night. The only things standing in the deal's way was a new multi-year contract for the pass rusher.

The obstacle is now gone.

The 49ers will sign Ford to a new five-year deal worth up to $87.5 million, according to Josina Anderson of ESPN

San Francisco is sending its second-round pick in next year's draft to Kansas City in exchange for Ford. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network was the first to report the 49ers were "deep in talks" with the Chiefs for Ford. Albert Breer of The MMQB and Rapoport were the first to report that two teams agreed to the terms of the trade.

The Chiefs used the franchise tag on Ford with the intention of dealing him to another team. Kansas City used the No. 23 overall pick in 2014 to select the linebacker. He recorded 13 sacks to go along with his 55 combined tackles and league-high seven forced fumbles this past season. Ford has registered 137 combined tackles, 30.5 sacks, six passes defensed, and nine forced fumbles during his five NFL seasons.

The 49ers have been in dire need of pass-rushing help. The defensive unit ranked No. 22 in sacks this past season after bringing down opposing quarterbacks just 37 times. Ford has racked up 25 sacks over the past three seasons, including double-digit sacks in two of his past three seasons.

one good year for ford and that kind of payday...oof
Dude, do you EVER have anything positive to say? Jesus Christ you're as bad as drummer.

Double digit sacks 2 years. And look at all the contracts for everyone signed so far in free agency. They're all overpaid. It's just how it is.

Dude, do you EVER have anything positive to say? Jesus Christ you're as bad as drummer.

Double digit sacks 2 years in a row. And look at all the contracts for everyone signed so far in free agency. They're all overpaid. It's just how it is.
to be fair he had 2  sacks in 6 games last year which projects to a whopping 5 sacks that year.

and yes, i see how the patriots win year after year and it's not by throwing huge contracts at mediocre players.  I'm glad you are excited the 49ers are the next redskins but it doesn't do much for me

and to be fair i'm in the majority when you look at the unbiased commentary

Ford was PFFs top-graded edge rusher last season, FWIW.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/12/dee-ford-trade-wont-change-49ers-need-for-pass-rusher/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Dee Ford trade won't change 49ers' need for pass rusher

The 49ers are set to acquire edge rusher Dee Ford for a 2020 second-round pick in a trade with the Chiefs. That’s a solution to their pass-rush issues, but only a partial one. They still have to be aggressive in getting an edge rusher in the draft.

With the No. 2 overall pick, the 49ers have a chance to set up a dynamic pass rush that can dramatically impact games. Whether it’s Nick Bosa, Josh Allen or another player, San Francisco still has to take the best available EDGE when they pick.

Ford had 13 sacks a season ago, and 30.5 sacks in 67-career games. He was Pro Football Focus’ top-graded edge rusher last season, but he’d surely benefit from another player at that position.

The 27-year-old figures to slot in as the SAM linebacker in the base defense. His versatility off the edge should allow him to move down to defensive end in sub packages. A player like Bosa would stay at defensive end, or move inside, in base and sub packages. Having two impact players on the edge, especially in passing downs, is vital.

On the other hand, this does give San Francisco a little more pliability in the first round. If they think Ford will help a player further down the draft to affect games, they can move back from the No. 2 pick.

Given the emphasis general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan have put on the need for game-wrecking edge player, it’s difficult to imagine they won’t stay put at No. 2 and just take the top pass rush prospect on their board.

What the Ford trade does do is eliminate the need to track down an edge rusher in free agency. This explains the team’s seeming lack of interest in obtaining a free agent edge rusher through the early portions of the legal tampering period. They may still snag a free agent, but it’ll be a lower tier player who acts as a depth piece.

San Francisco’s list of needs has changed a bit through the first couple days of free agency, but edge rusher is still at the top. That’s not likely to change between the opening of free agency and the draft.

Ford was PFFs top-graded edge rusher last season, FWIW.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/12/dee-ford-trade-wont-change-49ers-need-for-pass-rusher/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Dee Ford trade won't change 49ers' need for pass rusher

The 49ers are set to acquire edge rusher Dee Ford for a 2020 second-round pick in a trade with the Chiefs. That’s a solution to their pass-rush issues, but only a partial one. They still have to be aggressive in getting an edge rusher in the draft.

With the No. 2 overall pick, the 49ers have a chance to set up a dynamic pass rush that can dramatically impact games. Whether it’s Nick Bosa, Josh Allen or another player, San Francisco still has to take the best available EDGE when they pick.

Ford had 13 sacks a season ago, and 30.5 sacks in 67-career games. He was Pro Football Focus’ top-graded edge rusher last season, but he’d surely benefit from another player at that position.

The 27-year-old figures to slot in as the SAM linebacker in the base defense. His versatility off the edge should allow him to move down to defensive end in sub packages. A player like Bosa would stay at defensive end, or move inside, in base and sub packages. Having two impact players on the edge, especially in passing downs, is vital.

On the other hand, this does give San Francisco a little more pliability in the first round. If they think Ford will help a player further down the draft to affect games, they can move back from the No. 2 pick.

Given the emphasis general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan have put on the need for game-wrecking edge player, it’s difficult to imagine they won’t stay put at No. 2 and just take the top pass rush prospect on their board.

What the Ford trade does do is eliminate the need to track down an edge rusher in free agency. This explains the team’s seeming lack of interest in obtaining a free agent edge rusher through the early portions of the legal tampering period. They may still snag a free agent, but it’ll be a lower tier player who acts as a depth piece.

San Francisco’s list of needs has changed a bit through the first couple days of free agency, but edge rusher is still at the top. That’s not likely to change between the opening of free agency and the draft.
Will be fun to watch all the posters pointing to Alexander’s low PFF scores to claim that PFF doesn’t matter in Fords case. 

Glad to see it was the 2020 2nd rounder and not this years. 

If they get Thomas and Bosa,  I’ll officailly be excited about the defense this year. 

Can someone refresh my memory, how many top 10 picks have they used trying to get to the QB in the last 5 years?
Humor me, what do past picks have to do with this years possibility of drafting a pass rusher? But I will bite:

Since 2013, heres their top 10 picks:

2013: did not have a top 10. Had #18 overall (Eric Reid)

2014: did not have a top 10. Had # #30 overall (Jimmy Ward)

2015: did not have a top 10. Had #17 overall (Armstead)

2016: #7 overall (Buckner)

2017: #3 (Solomon Thomas)

2018: #9 overall (McGlinchey)

So, three. Three top 10 picks theyve used on pass rushers in the last 4 years. Buckner is fine, and I think Solomon will be once he moves back inside.

I gotta say...a d-line of Bosa, Buckner, Soloman, and Ford sounds pretty nice.

So, three. Three top 10 picks theyve used on pass rushers in the last 4 years. 
This was my point. Good chance we’ll be 4 out of the last 5 after this year, yet we still have to spend $87mm in the off-season to address it? We finished tied for 22nd in sacks? 

Seems awfully inefficient. IDK, I’ve just hated this team since JH has been gone - I find it impossible to be positive.

This was my point. Good chance we’ll be 4 out of the last 5 after this year, yet we still have to spend $87mm in the off-season to address it? We finished tied for 22nd in sacks? 

Seems awfully inefficient. IDK, I’ve just hated this team since JH has been gone - I find it impossible to be positive.
Yeah, the draft hasnt produced the way they envisioned, and I knew the point you were making...but cmon, Bosa is the consensus #1 pass rusher in this draft, hes about as cant miss as it gets. I have ZERO problem with them taking him and plugging him in with Buckner and now Ford on that D-line. If they can find a WR and CB and/or S between draft and FA, they will be  in nice shape.

Lynch has to throw money to remedy his past mistakes quickly. If they have another bad season, he may not be around to use that 2020 pick he just traded.  

Lynch has to throw money to remedy his past mistakes quickly. If they have another bad season, he may not be around to use that 2020 pick he just traded.  
No chance Lynch or Shanahan are going anywhere any tine soon IMO. Jed gave them 6 year contracts and  I dont think he will can either of them. When this team goes to the playoffs this season everyone will stop with the Lynch bashing IMO.

And yes, I seriously believe they will be in th playoffs this season (IF they add a WR and either a CB or safety). If they dont make the postseason, I will be here to eat crow all offseason long.

No chance Lynch or Shanahan are going anywhere any tine soon IMO. Jed gave them 6 year contracts and  I dont think he will can either of them. When this team goes to the playoffs this season everyone will stop with the Lynch bashing IMO.

And yes, I seriously believe they will be in th playoffs this season (IF they add a WR and either a CB or safety). If they dont make the postseason, I will be here to eat crow all offseason long.
Hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

If the team stinks again, there’s no way both are coming back despite their contracts. 

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article227488649.html

Kwon Alexander's contract more team friendly than previously thought.

Kwon Alexander’s new contract with the 49ers raised eyebrows when the initial terms were reported Monday at the start of the NFL’s negotiating period. But the deal is far more team friendly than initially believed after details trickled out a day later.

The four-year, $54-million pact would give Alexander the highest average annual salary of any inside linebacker at $13.5 million — IF fully realized. But the structure of the contract offers San Francisco very little risk beyond the coming season, which could be important as Alexander works his way back from an ACL tear in October.

The deal, essentially, reads as a year-to-year agreement that allows the 49ers to cut bait or restructure the contract after any of the next three seasons. The framework is typical of deals pieced together by San Francisco’s salary-cap expert, Paraag Marathe.

First, according to Overthecap.com, Alexander’s base salary in 2019 is just $1.75 million, but he receives $9.5 million in guaranteed bonuses plus per-game roster bonuses that make his salary-cap hit just north of $11.5 million. The only true guaranteed money beyond 2019 is the $3 million remaining of his $4 million signing bonus. Alexander is expected to earn $14.25 million in the first year.

His base salary in 2020 jumps to $11.25 million, which is guaranteed for injury only. The only remaining guarantees are pro-rated in the signing bonus, leaving just $3 million in dead money if Alexander gets released (for context, Pierre Garçon will cost the 49ers $7.2 million in dead money after the team declined to pick up his option).

Alexander’s base salaries in 2021 and 2022 are $12.55 million and $12.65 million. Teams typically try to re-work contracts by converting base salaries into signing bonuses that stretch into future seasons to create cap space. That means there’s a real chance this contract doesn’t end up averaging $13.5 million per year.

Simply put, after the coming season, the only real guarantees in Alexander’s contract come in $1 million annual bonuses. That means the team has the flexibility to adjust it as time goes by. The initial sticker shock was hardly warranted, which is typical of most free-agent deals this time of year.

From Alexander’s perspective, he should expect to be highly compensated if he plays at a high level. And he could leverage his strong play into more guaranteed money after each season.

The flexibility from San Francisco’s standpoint should work as incentive for Alexander to play like he did when he led the NFL with 108 solo tackles in 2016 and went to the Pro Bowl in 2017.

Tampa Bay rushing yards allowed per game in 2018:
<Kwon Alexander tears ACL>

Most forced fumbles 2018:

7 Dee Ford

7 JJ Watt

6 TJ Watt

6 Khalil Mack

5 Justin Houston

Ford does not have a Twitter or Instagram account, so no chance of social media drama, which is something these days.

Thinking about it, I can warm up to Bosa, Ford, Buckner, Thomas, & co...

Still need to address the defensive backfield and add a WR. Maybe we can add Earl Thomas for much less than he thinks he's worth, market def isn't what he had hoped. 

My biggest concern is Jimmy G - I'm not as sold on him as others. He really needs to prove himself this season.

Injury plagued guy who will turn 30 in 2 months... I'm actually very happy they didn't get involved at those numbers. 
They overpaid for sure but if he is healthy, he's just a leader on a defense.  It was like Patrick Willis.  He just made everyone around him better.  

Users who are viewing this thread