What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 San Francisco 49ers thread *** (7 Viewers)

Coming soon to SF: the KGB? (Kittle - Garoppolo - Brown)

Jerry Rice says Antonio Brown wants to play for 49ers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=25760587&_slug_=jerry-rice-antonio-brown-wants-san-francisco-49ers-really-bad&redirected=true

Hall of Famer Jerry Rice said Monday during a radio interview that disgruntled Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown wants to play for the San Francisco 49ers "really bad."

Brown posted on his Instagram story Sunday an image of a FaceTime conversation with Rice, who was asked by 95.7 The Game on Monday what was discussed.

Asked by the station if he got the sense Brown would want to play for the 49ers, Rice answered: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. He wants to come here really bad.

"He's talking about running the hill with me -- doing all that and just working out and just picking my brain. I don't know if it's going to happen because it's going to be up to [coach] Kyle Shanahan and also [general manager] John Lynch, but I'm all for it if they want him to come on board.

Rice said he's not worried that Brown wouldn't fit in the 49ers' culture.

"Not a question. No hesitation at all," he said.

Rice said that if he were making the call, he'd definitely trade for Brown.

"If it was left up to me, he'd be here in a heartbeat."

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. He's on a perennial playoff team (most years anyway lol), with a HOF QB, is a top 3 highest paid WR, led the league in targets and TDs, and hes STILL not happy. 

Hard pass. Let someone else deal with his crap.
I keep going back to this.

They just paid Jimmy G a ton of money to be the future of the franchise. I honestly thought it was premature, but it is what it is and done. 

Last thing they need is a diva ####### WR, who will absolutely start slowing down very shortly at his age, ruining who is supposed to be the future. 

If they do bring him in, and this does happen, I have to start giving strong consideration to jumping ship after over 30 years as a fan, at least until Jed York is gone. 

Kinda like what the Browns are up to, wouldn't be considered a front runner in doing so, and it can't be that much worse than 2000-present, excluding the few good years JH provided us.

I agree

Hard pass

You see time and time again that with a good qb above average wr's can be great.  JuJu is just as good as brown for 1/10th the cost and 1/10th the attitude

The more I think about it the more I think I wouldn't hate it...it wouldn't be long term (I think he prob has maybe 3 elite years left) and I can see the team trying to load up for a run before Shammys contract is up. After 3 years he would prob be gone and the young core of players would still be intact. 

The problem is we don't have a lot of draft picks this draft and we still have holes to fill, so giving up a pick this year could hurt us, and we'd still need a big body for a red zone target.

The more I think about it the more I think I wouldn't hate it...it wouldn't be long term (I think he prob has maybe 3 elite years left) and I can see the team trying to load up for a run before Shammys contract is up. After 3 years he would prob be gone and the young core of players would still be intact. 

The problem is we don't have a lot of draft picks this draft and we still have holes to fill, so giving up a pick this year could hurt us, and we'd still need a big body for a red zone target.
Next year, at best is like an 8-8 team. I don't see us hopping both Sea and LA - the framework isn't fully in place. 

Big Ben is a HOF QB, he can handle an Antonio Brown like diva, Jimmy G is young and unproven, I don't want to risk his future with this guy.

I wouldn't trust that Brown will be happy with his contract, and may become a holdout candidate. Next year he is scheduled $15+mil, but drops to 11.3mil & 12.5mil for 2020 & 2021. With all the bonus money gone after 2019 he will more than likely be a problem after that, when salaries keep rising & he's locked in for cheap.

Just think...

Jerry Rice

Terrell Owens

Randy Moss

Bob Hayes

Antonio Brown

That would be five HOF receivers on my Niners, wow~~~

A few days ago

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/123310-49ers-adding-miles-austin-offensive-quality-control-report/

The San Francisco 49ers continue to finalize their coaching staff. Kyle Shanahan is adding longtime NFL wide receiver Miles Austin to be his offensive quality control coach, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

Austin, best known for his time with the Dallas Cowboys, spent 10 seasons in the NFL. His career included a stop with the Cleveland Browns in 2014 when Shanahan was the offensive coordinator there.

The Cowboys signed Austin as an undrafted free agent out of Monmouth in 2006 and he spent eight seasons in Dallas before a year in Cleveland and another with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Austin, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, registered 361 receptions for 5,273 yards with 37 touchdowns during his 10 NFL seasons. The Cowboys hired him as a part-time scout in 2016 where he reportedly spent his time evaluating receivers and defensive backs.

This ones a week old, but it hasnt been posted yet, so....

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article225568430.html

SANTA CLARA

The 49ers continue to tinker with their coaching staff with the offseason officially underway following Super Bowl LIII. In fact, the team is tapping a former New England Patriots star to coach up its receivers.

Wes Welker will become Kyle Shanahan’s new receivers coach, as first reported by the Houston Chronicle, as San Francisco looks to get more out of the position. The team had not confirmed the hire when contacted by The Bee on Tuesday.

Welker was one of Tom Brady’s favorite targets out of the slot in six seasons with New England from 2007-12, when he led the NFL in receptions three times and eclipsed 100 catches five times. He spent the last two seasons on a coaching internship with the Houston Texans and was not retained for 2019.

MJ Acosta: Jimmy Garoppolo the most likely of the top-paid QBs to make the playoffs in 2019

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/123340-acosta-jimmy-garoppolo-most-likely-top-paid-make-playoffs/

MJ Acosta of NFL Network joined the "Good Morning Football" cast on Monday morning, and the group took a look at the highest-paid quarterbacks in the league, none of which made the playoffs in 2018.

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford signed a then-historic five-year deal worth up to $135 million in 2017. That paved the way for four other quarterbacks, including Jimmy Garoppolo of the San Francisco 49ers, to best that $27 million average with Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers topping the group at an average of $33.5 million.

Below are the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL based on average salary per season.

Quarterback..........Salary....Record...Playoffs

Aaron Rodgers......$33.5M....6-9-1.....No

Matt Ryan..............$30.0M.....7-9.......No

Kirk Cousins..........$28.0M.....8-7-1.....No

Jimmy Garoppolo..$27.5M.....1-2.......No

Matthew Stafford..$27.0M.....6-10......No

It's unknown how Garoppolo would have done in 2018 had his season not been cut short by the torn ACL he suffered during Week 3. The rest of the quarterbacks on the list were able to play through their full 16-game schedules. San Francisco stumbled to a 4-12 record in 2018 and was 3-10 without Garoppolo.

The "Good Morning Football" cast asked, of these names, which is most likely to be in the playoffs during the 2019 season? Acosta selected Garoppolo.

"This has to be his redemption year, right? The injury early on in the season last year but he's got (Kyle) Shanahan," Acosta said, "ideally, everyone back healthy. They've got to make some wise choices in the draft with that high draft pick and be very, very strategic in free agency, and I think they could have a very good chance.

"But they've given him all this money. We haven't seen it come to fruition or those dividends come back to them. I think he has more than enough motivation in terms of zeros."

So, anyone buying that Kyler Murray is 100 percent going to be the Cardinals pick at #1?

Obviously, this would be huge for the 49ers.  Makes sense from the standpoint that he made a decision to go all in on football at the same time Kingsbury got the job and was a consideration for the number #1 overall pick.   Other than that, I don't see it. Seemed committed to baseball and then drops it like a bad habit. He may end up being really good, but doesn't seem the kind of prospect you take first overall, especially when you traded up to take a QB last year.

Would be excellent if it happens......................

So, anyone buying that Kyler Murray is 100 percent going to be the Cardinals pick at #1?

Obviously, this would be huge for the 49ers.  Makes sense from the standpoint that he made a decision to go all in on football at the same time Kingsbury got the job and was a consideration for the number #1 overall pick.   Other than that, I don't see it. Seemed committed to baseball and then drops it like a bad habit. He may end up being really good, but doesn't seem the kind of prospect you take first overall, especially when you traded up to take a QB last year.

Would be excellent if it happens......................
I think he is going #1, would the cards trade the pick? maybe....But I don't think Rosen is going to be a good pro.

But I don't think Rosen is going to be a good pro.
Could be the case, but his situation was pretty bad, especially for a rookie.  Terrible OL, fired the OC and replaced him with someone equally bad.  Fitz and not much else in the passing game.  Not a recipe for success.  Kind of got thrown to the wolves after Bradford stunk it up. 

Anyway, I hope AZ takes Murray.  Just seems a reach IMO. 

Arizona is shopping Rosen...I think Murray goes #1 whether it's the Cardinals or Raiders.

Niners will take Bosa at #2 IMO.

Lot of talk about a deal for Antonio Brown will be done by Friday.  I know SF has denied making any inquiries into trading for Brown but I hope that’s deception on their part.  Would love to see Brown in SC if they can get him for their 2nd rounder. 

Make it happen. 

Lot of talk about a deal for Antonio Brown will be done by Friday.  I know SF has denied making any inquiries into trading for Brown but I hope that’s deception on their part.  Would love to see Brown in SC if they can get him for their 2nd rounder. 

Make it happen. 
Not happening.

Make it happen. 
I'm the outlier, but I want no part of this. The only thing that excites me is a real shot at the Super Bowl, I still think with everything falling in place it is a minimum of 2, more like 3 years away - and again, that would be if everything fell into place. 

If I'm right about that, why would I want a diva ####### WR who is 31? I can't imagine he'd ever be cool with playing second fiddle, so I'd rather develop some young talent to be the core. 

I'm the outlier, but I want no part of this. The only thing that excites me is a real shot at the Super Bowl, I still think with everything falling in place it is a minimum of 2, more like 3 years away - and again, that would be if everything fell into place. 

If I'm right about that, why would I want a diva ####### WR who is 31? I can't imagine he'd ever be cool with playing second fiddle, so I'd rather develop some young talent to be the core. 
Maybe it’s the 49er optimist in me, but I think they can make a Bears type turn around this year with a few key pieces added.  Add Bosa (looks like Murray will go first)  Earl Thomas and another solid LB (FA or draft) and I think they make a big jump on that side of the ball.  

Offensively, I think Brown would make that offense take the next step.  Having an elite WR combined with Shanahans ability as a play caller would be fun to watch. Brown, Pettis, Goodwin, Kittle, Jet and Brieda.  A lot of fire power there.  OL is solid, especially if Richberg is healthy. A guard upgrade would help but I assume that will be addressed at some point in the draft.  

I get Brown carries a certain amount of risk, but seems like the price is coming down as more teams bow out.  I think they can contend this year, so would love to see them make this happen at the price of a 2nd rounder or less. 

I agree with this 100%

Brown would implode in sf because he doesn't have ben feeding him the ball constantly

49ers reportedly interested in Dee Ford.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/123842-49ers-expressing-interest-chiefs-franchised-linebacker-ford-report/

The Kansas City Chiefs placed the franchise tag on linebacker Dee Ford at the cost of $15.4 million for 2019, preventing him from hitting free agency on Wednesday. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, they were, however, willing to listen to trade discussions for the 27-year-old defensive player.

The 49ers might be interested

The Chiefs made Ford, who played college football at Auburn, the No. 23 overall selection in 2014. He recorded 13 sacks to go along with his 55 combined tackles and league-high seven forced fumbles this past season. Ford has registered 137 combined tackles, 30.5 sacks, six passes defensed, and nine forced fumbles during his five NFL seasons. 

If they were to sign a Free agent edge rusher, I could see them trading down a few spots and maybe taking a Greedy Williams. I wouldnt hate that.

49ers reportedly interested in Dee Ford.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/123842-49ers-expressing-interest-chiefs-franchised-linebacker-ford-report/

The Kansas City Chiefs placed the franchise tag on linebacker Dee Ford at the cost of $15.4 million for 2019, preventing him from hitting free agency on Wednesday. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, they were, however, willing to listen to trade discussions for the 27-year-old defensive player.

The 49ers might be interested

The Chiefs made Ford, who played college football at Auburn, the No. 23 overall selection in 2014. He recorded 13 sacks to go along with his 55 combined tackles and league-high seven forced fumbles this past season. Ford has registered 137 combined tackles, 30.5 sacks, six passes defensed, and nine forced fumbles during his five NFL seasons. 
I'd be really nervous about a guy like Ford. He was a 1st round bust, until having a monster contract year. 

49ers front office looks like the biggest ####ssies god ever let through the door. Could have had The best WR in football for a song and a dance. Jesus H Christ! 

Kwon Alexander 4 years / 54 million, 27 guaranteed. WTF...

From PFF's 2019 FA Buyer Beware list:

While he’s flashed upside as a blitzing linebacker across his limited pass-rush opportunities, Alexander has struggled significantly in other areas. Hamstrung by injury in 2018, Alexander earned just a 59.1 overall grade, and his sub-70.0 overall grades in the three years prior are bogged down by poor tackling and lackluster run defense.
Guess he will fit right in on defense.

Kwon is better than average, when healthy dude is pretty good. I live in Tampa and have seen him play quite a lot. He was the Bucs' 2nd best player on Defense outside of JPP before getting hurt.

In 2016, he was PFFs most improved 2nd year LB:  LINK

Pro Football Focus ✔ @PFF - 9:29 AM - Feb 17, 2017

Most-improved second-year LB
Kwon Alexander, @TBBuccaneers, +45.7
2015: 31.6
2016: 77.3

In 2016 he also and led all 2nd year linebackers with 58 stops:  LINK

In 2017, he was tied for 10th among inside linebackers with a 10.0 run-stop percentage: LINK

Before getting hurt in 2018, His pass-rush grade of 78.8 ranked ninth out of 96 linebackers. On only 32 pass-rush snaps in six games, Alexander recorded six pressures. LINK

If he comes back form the ACL okay, yall are gonna like this kid.

Kwon is better than average, when healthy dude is pretty good. I live in Tampa and have seen him play quite a lot. He was the Bucs' 2nd best player on Defense outside of JPP before getting hurt.

In 2016, he was PFFs most improved 2nd year LB:  LINK

Pro Football Focus ✔ @PFF - 9:29 AM - Feb 17, 2017

Most-improved second-year LB
Kwon Alexander, @TBBuccaneers, +45.7
2015: 31.6
2016: 77.3

In 2016 he also and led all 2nd year linebackers with 58 stops:  LINK

In 2017, he was tied for 10th among inside linebackers with a 10.0 run-stop percentage: LINK

Before getting hurt in 2018, His pass-rush grade of 78.8 ranked ninth out of 96 linebackers. On only 32 pass-rush snaps in six games, Alexander recorded six pressures. LINK

If he comes back form the ACL okay, yall are gonna like this kid.
https://twitter.com/pff_jeff/status/1105174499505332228?s=21

Based on what they gave Alexander, I have no idea what they were thinking not trading for Brown. So a mediocre LB at best, or a pro bowl WR, and the difference is a 3rd/5th rounder and 5 million dollars. Pretty easy call there.

So a mediocre LB at best.
Top 10 run stop grade in 2017.

Top 10 pass rush grade last year before he got hurt.

Was he my 1st choice? No, but living in  Tampa, I'm familiar with Kwon and if healthy, he will be a beast alongside Warner.

Wingnut said:

Was he my 1st choice? No, but living in  Tampa, I'm familiar with Kwon and if healthy, he will be a beast alongside Warner.
Thanks for the feedback.  Don't watch many Buc games so have no idea about the guy.

Funny to see all the typical 49er fan reactions to the signing.  Overpaying is just a free agency fact of life, especially for teams in high state tax brackets (yes, it does matter), but LB was definitely a position they had to address in either free agency or the draft, and with only 6 picks this year, free agency made sense.  Looks like only first two years are guaranteed.  

Would have preferred Mosley, but think he either stays with the Ravens or stays close to home in Washington.

Still hoping for Thomas, but with Collins getting what he got, price of poker just went up.  

Kwon is better in coverage than Mosley, and is 3 years younger. Other than tackling, which is an area he does needs to work on, he's got better every year in pretty much all other areas, so there's no reason to believe he wont continue to do so, and Saleh is aware of what he needs to work on...and now he's got a legit complimentary LB in Warner. He was also a pro bowler in 2017 as a replacement for the unjured Bobby Wagner.

Thomas would be nice. Plus an edge rusher at pick 2 and this defense is suddenly looking solid.

Too much for a mediocre guy if you ask me.

I would wager pretty heavily he doesn't see most of this contract before he is cut

Bell? Wtf are they doing? $15mm a year on a RB is a gargantuan waste of cap space, imo. 

Bell is great, don’t get me wrong, but that’s too much for that position.

Wingnut said:

He’s really really bad. 66th ranked linebacker last year. Always mediocre to atrocious (31 ololol) scores on PFF. 

Apparently a first-class locker room guy and makes a hell of an effort but he’s not worth half of what he got. 

He’s really really bad. 66th ranked linebacker last year. Always mediocre to atrocious (31 ololol) scores on PFF. 

Apparently a first-class locker room guy and makes a hell of an effort but he’s not worth half of what he got. 
Disagree that he's that bad. Last year he had hamstring issues and then the ACL. In 2016 he led the league in solo tackles, and in 2017 he was a pro bowler (not names as a starter, he replaced injured Bobby Wagner). He does have tackling issues but he had no help on that joke of a defense. Did they overpay? Probably, but that's how free agency goes, especially early on when players are setting the market prices.

We will see.

Disagree that he's that bad. Last year he had hamstring issues and then the ACL. In 2016 he led the league in solo tackles, and in 2027 he was a pro bowler (not names as a starter, he replaced injured Bobby Wagner). He does have tackling issues but he had no help on that joke of a defense. Did they overpay? Probably, but that's how free agency goes, especially early on when players are setting the market prices.

We will see.
Tackling issues is an understatement. He's missed as many tackles as any LB over the last 4 years. Something like 22% of tackle attempts are missed. He's making about 3 times as much as he should in my opinion.

I don't understand the contract either but when I read that someone lead the league in solo tackles and missed tackles doesn't that mean that the defense was on the field an awfully long time and perhaps the guys in front of him and around him haven't been doing their jobs very well? 

I haven't seen much of the Bucs in recent years but it seems that Winston and Fitzpatrick have been pretty turnover prone. 

Users who are viewing this thread