What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 San Francisco 49ers thread *** (2 Viewers)

I'm actually debating starting the 49ers defense this week :bag:
If they can get ahead, it would be a pretty good start.  They should get some sacks against that line with Eli the statue, especially if the Giants are playing from behind.

But, I would think there are better options as the Giants will move the ball.  Unlike Oakland, they have actual play makers.

How likely is Mullens to keep the job for the rest of the season?
Depends on how he plays of course.  Oakland is beyond horrible on defense, so hard to judge him on that one game.  He does get the ball out quick, but doesn't have much arm strength.  His longer throws kind of float and against a good defense, that will be an issue.  

Beathard has a better arm, but doesn't process information very quickly, resulting in a lot of picks and sacks.  For fantasy purposes, Mullens will make playing defenses against the 49ers less beneficial.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nick-mullens?id=2558082

Mullens' scouting report:

Strengths:

Good foot quickness in the pocket. Can go from play-action to pass-ready quickly. Able to bounce around and find slivers of space to cut it loose when pressure descends. Can make expedited throws from off-balance angles and hit his targets. Capable in controlled passing attack with tight release. Throws with quality touch. Exceptional toughness. Had training staff "push the bone back in" and stitch up a compound fracture in his thumb against Texas-San Antonio so he could finish the game.

Weaknesses:

Well below NFL norm for size. Small frame unlikely to ever carry desired mass. Lacks NFL-caliber arm to push the ball down the field and drive it between the hashes without defensive backs making plays on the ball. Will opt out of throwing from balanced platform and into back foot tosses. Doesn't bring his lower body through his throws to maximize velocity. Floats throws to field side and in the deep middle. Needs to get ball out earlier to compensate for a lack of arm.

Draft Projection - UDFA

Bottom Line

Mullens is a productive college quarterback with good competitiveness and toughness, but lacking the minimum standards of size and arm strength. Mullens could make it into camp, but is unlikely to find a spot on a roster.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nick-mullens?id=2558082

Mullens' scouting report:

Strengths:

Good foot quickness in the pocket. Can go from play-action to pass-ready quickly. Able to bounce around and find slivers of space to cut it loose when pressure descends. Can make expedited throws from off-balance angles and hit his targets. Capable in controlled passing attack with tight release. Throws with quality touch. Exceptional toughness. Had training staff "push the bone back in" and stitch up a compound fracture in his thumb against Texas-San Antonio so he could finish the game.

Weaknesses:

Well below NFL norm for size. Small frame unlikely to ever carry desired mass. Lacks NFL-caliber arm to push the ball down the field and drive it between the hashes without defensive backs making plays on the ball. Will opt out of throwing from balanced platform and into back foot tosses. Doesn't bring his lower body through his throws to maximize velocity. Floats throws to field side and in the deep middle. Needs to get ball out earlier to compensate for a lack of arm.

Draft Projection - UDFA

Bottom Line

Mullens is a productive college quarterback with good competitiveness and toughness, but lacking the minimum standards of size and arm strength. Mullens could make it into camp, but is unlikely to find a spot on a roster.
Like I said before: he’s the new Shaun Hill back in the Singletary era. Hill was a gamer who lacked arm strength, yet ran Mike Martz’s offense a lot crisper than whoever else was at quarterback with the 49ers then. Martz did something amazing though. He tweaked his offense to adjust for the lack of talent the 49ers had back then, and it even started to work, but Singletary was too old school and didn’t like to pass the ball that much, rather his philosophy. - that weirdly was Harbaugh’s in a way - was about the run game and defense. It was funny seeing Hill taking deep drops and trying to push the ball forward. But he adjusted to the offense and got the ball out quicker, yet the lack of arm strength is what made him a perrinial back up quarterback, despite his knowledge of the offense. 

Martz of course was canned aftet the season. Then things got worse with Jimmy Raye. 

It always came down to this: who gives you a better chsnce to win games. Mullens right now may give you the better chance, but he may not later in the latter half of the season. Who knows? Maybe he is a Jeff Garcia in the making rather than Hill (Garcia didn’t have much of an arm either), and Mullens had an easy first start against the Tankjob Raiders, but the latter half of the season is pretty tough, and it remains to be seen if say Mullens gets pummeled like Beatenhard and starts to get happy feet, tosses a few picks, and can play through it. Or else it’s back to CJ, which is what Singletary had to do with all his in season quarterback carousels trying to get a win with what he had, starting one quarterback over another, and back to that quarterback he benched for the other. 

Funny to see that the 49ers haven’t had a clear cut quarterback since Garcia, being how many times Alex Smith got benched for another quarterback, even in his last year there. 

"Doesn't have great tools, but could eventually start."

No that's not from Nick Mullens pre-draft profile, know who's it is? 

Joe Montana

Now I'm not saying Mullens is Montana in the making by any means because I don't know. What I'm saying is none of you know either. It always amuses me to see how many pretend that they actually know how things will turn out. I always say if he has a chance and you can pick him up why not? You can always cut him later, but if he hits then your kicking yourself.

It will play out.

"Doesn't have great tools, but could eventually start."

No that's not from Nick Mullens pre-draft profile, know who's it is? 

Joe Montana

Now I'm not saying Mullens is Montana in the making by any means because I don't know. What I'm saying is none of you know either. It always amuses me to see how many pretend that they actually know how things will turn out. I always say if he has a chance and you can pick him up why not? You can always cut him later, but if he hits then your kicking yourself.

It will play out.
Well everyone remembers quarterbacks like Gio Carmazzi being drafted before Tom Brady, but it doesn’t mean Mullens is Tom Brady either. 

“Just let Gio play out. Then we’ll know”

You can say that about any quarterback. 

drummer said:
Well everyone remembers quarterbacks like Gio Carmazzi being drafted before Tom Brady, but it doesn’t mean Mullens is Tom Brady either. 

“Just let Gio play out. Then we’ll know”

You can say that about any quarterback. 
You're repeating exactly what I said just using reverse examples. I never said he was anything other than Nick Mullens, phrase anyway you want the point is nobody knows for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're repeating exactly what I said just using reverse examples. I never said he was anything other than Nick Mullens, phrase anyway you want the point is nobody knows for sure.
Invoking Joe Montana with Mullens just comes out of left field after one game . Sure let it play out, but Montana is a HOF quarterback. Jeff GarcIa, maybe. But a HOF quarterback? That’s stretching it quite a bit. 

Invoking Joe Montana with Mullens just comes out of left field after one game . Sure let it play out, but Montana is a HOF quarterback. Jeff GarcIa, maybe. But a HOF quarterback? That’s stretching it quite a bit. 
The point was you never know, the point was the statement made about Montana not in anyway a comparison to Montana’s fabulous career. Don’t  put words in my mouth Troll.

The point was you never know, the point was the statement made about Montana not in anyway a comparison to Montana’s fabulous career. Don’t  put words in my mouth Troll.
First off, I’m not trolling you. Second, any mention of Montana is putting Mullens in the company of Montana when you posted them in the same breath. 

One is a HOF quarterback. 

The other: a third string quarterback who only had one start. 

Then you say: “It will play out”

Ok, how many years will it take Mullens to reach the NFL Hall of Fame, and post Montana like numbers? 

You brought this up. You’re bringing the argument that Mullens could be the next Joe Montana simply by bringing Joe Montana into the equation. You’re saying we don’t know if he is, but it’s absurd to bring Montana into the Mullens discussion after Mullens’ only start in the NFL. 

Mullens really reminds me alot of Shaun Hill, and Beathard is actually a lot like Rattay (360 degree blindside). And I guess that's also the most likely career outcomes for them. Garcia was a special case with his superior mobility and he had TO. Mullens doesn't have Garcia's legs and he has Kittle instead of Owens. Mullens' 10-yard sideline passes are sailing, so please just stop. Just stop going anywhere beyond Jeff Garcia.

drummer said:
First off, I’m not trolling you. Second, any mention of Montana is putting Mullens in the company of Montana when you posted them in the same breath. 

One is a HOF quarterback. 

The other: a third string quarterback who only had one start. 

Then you say: “It will play out”

Ok, how many years will it take Mullens to reach the NFL Hall of Fame, and post Montana like numbers? 

You brought this up. You’re bringing the argument that Mullens could be the next Joe Montana simply by bringing Joe Montana into the equation. You’re saying we don’t know if he is, but it’s absurd to bring Montana into the Mullens discussion after Mullens’ only start in the NFL. 
I never said he could be the next Montana Troll

?

Jesus. Does the bat signal go up every time a post is made that doesn't follow exact parameters for this forum? It really makes coming here a decision you have to think about. When someone answers a question with a fact and doesn't add anything football related and has to worry about the hammer ban coming down, it says a lot about the direction this forum is going. And it's sad.

To stay on topic, looks like Foster won't play this week, and social media is ripe with "fans" throwing out the BUST tag. How about letting him get healthy and putting him back in his MIKE role and letting Warner play the SAM? Maybe see how that plays out?

Excuse me? If you put words in my mouth I’m gonna respond. Why did you choose to quote me? Did you read all the posts?
Youre not allowed to call someone a name here, even if you're addressing a someone thats posts nothing but hate to the thread and is one of the reasons these forums are going downhill (aka 3rd grade rules). You gotta add something football related or face the hammer. Like so:

Mullens gets his 2nd start against the sorry ### Giants on MNF. Mullens' 2nd prime time start...ya gotta love it. Eli better be wearing his running shoes as Watson, Marsh, and Buckner are gonna give him fits all night.

Youre not allowed to call someone a name here, even if you're addressing a someone thats posts nothing but hate to the thread and is one of the reasons these forums are going downhill (aka 3rd grade rules). You gotta add something football related or face the hammer. Like so:

Mullens gets his 2nd start against the sorry ### Giants on MNF. Mullens' 2nd prime time start...ya gotta love it. Eli better be wearing his running shoes as Watson, Marsh, and Buckner are gonna give him fits all night.
It doesn't help when the thread OP - you - addresses others as trolls, tells others that they are trolls and to ignore them because you don't like what they say, and thus the name calling starts. 

The bolded shows this. 

It's a 2-7 season so far. There is a lot to criticize, being that the previous season was a 6-10 season, the one before that was a 2-14 season, and before that was a 5-11 season. Now, is saying that hate? No, it's not. It's posting the official win vs, loss record of the past three and a half seasons. You have to weigh in those records to see where the direction of the franchise is going. They are on their third string quarterback who won one game against another boiling bag of garbage hapless soon to be former Bay Area NFL franchise.

It is what it is. Jed York fired his best head coach he had for losing a Super Bowl. Now look at what he has done. 

I'm a former Bay Area guy with friends who have or had direct connections to the franchise. I used to write articles for an SB Nation blog about the 49ers ages ago. I stopped doing that because I don't post glowing prose over a football team that is chock full of problems stemming from the ownership. Business wise, Jed York has done well increasing the value of the franchise, moving the team to Silicon Valley - which is not San Francisco, being that Santa Clara is right next to San Jose, and die hard Kezar dwellers who have almost died off will tell you this - but the York's win vs, loss record overall, along with the front office turmoil and inter-office drama and meddling from 2003 on is not good. It's not the Eddie D. pre-salary cap era 49ers, where Eddie just threw money at the team because he could. It's the York post-salary cap 49ers, that still hasn't found a franchise quarterback. Garopollo or not. 

They are starting a third string quarterback this weekend. Yay! It's against another hapless team too! Win!

Consecutive double digit win seasons are what fans should pay for, or at least demand. Not consecutive double digit loss seasons. Your record is your season. That shows where franchise is directed. Can a third string quarterback turn this around? Sure it could happen. I dunno what they are going to do with that mega millions dollar other franchise quarterback if he does. Mullens the next Joe Montana? Or is he Nick Foles? 

I know Foles wasn't a third string quarterback, but neither is Mullens now after Jimmy GQ went on IR. 

So this is where we are. A guy way over in Tampa Bay will call this hate. A California former Bay Area guy who will most likely go back there calls this reality. 

You can't ignore reality. Or call it names. 

To stay on topic, looks like Foster won't play this week, and social media is ripe with "fans" throwing out the BUST tag. How about letting him get healthy and putting him back in his MIKE role and letting Warner play the SAM? Maybe see how that plays out?
49er forums are pretty bad.  Among the worst that I have seen. Seems that a fairly high percentage actually enjoy when something negative happens. Garoppolo tears his ACL and they rejoice because it is proof that he wasn’t worth the money they signed him for. Sad and pathetic but some people aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy  

49er forums are pretty bad.  Among the worst that I have seen. Seems that a fairly high percentage actually enjoy when something negative happens. Garoppolo tears his ACL and they rejoice because it is proof that he wasn’t worth the money they signed him for. Sad and pathetic but some people aren’t happy unless they’re unhappy  
A lot of them are most likely millennials. It's not like they have a lot to be happy about during The York Era. 

As in not the Dynasty Era

Mullens really reminds me alot of Shaun Hill, and Beathard is actually a lot like Rattay (360 degree blindside). And I guess that's also the most likely career outcomes for them. Garcia was a special case with his superior mobility and he had TO. Mullens doesn't have Garcia's legs and he has Kittle instead of Owens. Mullens' 10-yard sideline passes are sailing, so please just stop. Just stop going anywhere beyond Jeff Garcia.
The pass that Kittle made a one hand grab - which was awesome BTW - Mullens had to jump to see over the line, and that pass you could had plucked out of the air had a Raider wanted to like, defend it. It was also a dangerous throw that Kittle made a great play on. 

If you don't have the arm strength or size to play in the NFL as a starter, or can make a lot of throws, the offense has to shrink if all of the sudden you are starting. In a WCO based scheme, you don't have to have a cannon, but you do have to make a lot of throws. Against a faster defense, who knows how Mullens will play, but he played against one of the worst if not the worst defenses in the league, and a team in complete turmoil right now. 

But he got the easy win and might get another this weekend. All it shows is that the 49ers aren't as bad as those other teams, at least on that day. But they aren't even mediocre at this point. If you're looking up towards mediocrity as they have over the previous three seasons, then sure, let's go find a scouting report or quote on 50 other quarterbacks that have nothing to do with Mullens, put that out there as a sort of red herring to the discussion, then complain that we saw what they did there. 

What do they have to lose? 

ETA: last season, the 49ers started three quarterbacks in Hoyer, Beatenhard, and Jimmy the Face. 

This season: Jimmy the Face, Beatenhard, and Mullens. Who knows if some Savagery might rear it's head here too. 

All this means is that they still have a quarterback problem this season like they had all last season. 

The pass that Kittle made a one hand grab - which was awesome BTW - Mullens had to jump to see over the line, and that pass you could had plucked out of the air had a Raider wanted to like, defend it. It was also a dangerous throw that Kittle made a great play on. 
I agree 100% and actually posted earlier, much earlier in this thread for people to temper their excitement for him as more than one play was very lucky and used the Kittle play as an example. I apologize for the Troll remark but still not a fan of people putting words in my mouth when I was very clear he has a long way to go to be a viable NFL starter.

Streetduck said:
I agree 100% and actually posted earlier, much earlier in this thread for people to temper their excitement for him as more than one play was very lucky and used the Kittle play as an example. I apologize for the Troll remark but still not a fan of people putting words in my mouth when I was very clear he has a long way to go to be a viable NFL starter.
I apologize if it seemed like I put words in your mouth. I wasn’t trying to do that. I was just looking at it and tried to put it in context. 

Its great to see an underdog third string quarterback have a great game. I rooted for Scott Tolzien because he ran the offense quickly, more than Alex Smith or Kaepernick. But he didn’t have the arm strength and mobility, and he got killed in the pocket lol. Tolzien practically lived at the practice room, and he ate and slept the playbook. But good quarterbacks have to have the intangibles to make it in the NFL. Does Mullens have them? Well, we will see if and when he plays out the rest of the season, which is the harder part of the 49er schedule. 

The 49ers are 2-7 after the easier part of the schedule. They played teams that are a total mess, like Oakland, Green Bay, and Arizona. Of course they have a ton of injuries, but to lose to Arizona twice has to come into question when it comes to Kyle Shanahan. I’m not a big believer in him, and to pair him with another first time GM in Lynch is a huge gamble that doesn’t make sense to me. The 49er front office isn’t exactly a great football factory to have a first time GM and Head Coach to fix things there. They don’t set up first timers very well, like Terry Donahue, Mike Nolan, Scot McGlouhan, Mike Singletary, Trent Baalke, Jim Tomsula, and Chip Kelley. The only head coach they had that has proven to bring teams around with a program that is successful was Harbaugh. 

And they fired hin over a power struggle. 

I dunno if we are seeing a trickle down effect from the front office on down to the team on the field, but the injuries bought both Lynch and Shanahan another season to prove it will bear out. 

A beat writer in SF said that Mullens bought the rest of the season  for Shanahan. There is a hot seat waiting for him despite his contract. Jed is paying a lot of fired coaches and GM’s their retirement money due to firing them under contract, so hopefully Mullens can win a tough game or two to give to at least prevent another front office or head coach shakeup the York have done since they took over the franchise. 

Shanahan's seat is as cool as it can get, even before Mullens had a good game. The team is crippled by injuries and none of the issues they are having are related to coaching. They had a general lack of talent before he joined the team, and at least with a year of review the 2017 draft seems pretty good. I don't know if he is a good coach or not, but there is not enough information to see whether he is a bad coach, outside of click-bait local writers.

Shanahan's seat is as cool as it can get, even before Mullens had a good game. The team is crippled by injuries and none of the issues they are having are related to coaching. They had a general lack of talent before he joined the team, and at least with a year of review the 2017 draft seems pretty good. I don't know if he is a good coach or not, but there is not enough information to see whether he is a bad coach, outside of click-bait local writers.
I think he’s going to be a very good head coach. Came into a situation as a first time head coach with a bottom 5 roster. When he got good QB play last year with Garoppolo, they won. Expectations were high going into this year, but realistic fans knew they were screwed if Garoppolo got hurt. The rest of the roster just isn’t good enough yet to win with bad QB play. 

The thing I’m most impressed with is he hasn’t lost the locker room despite the losses this year. Even Sherman commented on that before the Raider game. Guys are still playing hard and no finger pointing. Sign of a good leader.  

IDk...they imploded against both the Packers and Cardinals when they had late leads and found a way to lose. I put that more on the defense than the offense though, all they had to do was keep them out of the end zone late in the game and they couldn't. Saleh was calling the defense and he chose to get ultra conservative when they should have been attacking and trying to create pressure to seal the wins instead of sitting back and letting Rodgers and Rosen(!) Pick them apart.

Now that's not on Shanahan directly, but Saleh IS his DC and Shanny should direct him when certain situations dictate. As HC maybe he should have told his DC to stay aggressive and at least go down swinging IMO.

So, for me the jury is still out on Shanahan, but I'm giving him and Lynch the benefit of the doubt until I see a full season with the players they brought in to run/execute Shannys system. I hope they fix the glaring holes this team has next offseason and start 2019 healthy and ready to go. That's when we will know if this regime is the real deal or not. Until then, it's anyone's guess.

Very sad story about Soloman Thomas' sister in the pregame show. I had no idea him and his family has gone through that. I kind of get why his head may not have been 100% on football this season.

Anyway, let's go Mullens!!!

Defense blows a late lead AGAIN!!!! That's 3 late 4th quarter leads that we gave away.

Also, Shanahan calling 2 Alfred Morris running plays on 1st and 2nd down before the last FG...yeah, let's set up 3rd and long and not go for the TD there so we can kick a FG for a 3 point lead, which gives the Giants the win with a TD when they get the ball back with 2 minutes and change. Terrible play calling there.

Its comical at this point. Theres just nothing else to say.

it's too soon, but yeah, this Shanahan guy can't coach ..painfully obvious. he's now what 8-18 as a head coach? soon to be 8-26. Hue Jackson-esque..

he's gotta go. not working out.

Foster... Arrested for DV again.. What an idiot. Couldn't stay healthy and apparently is a POS off the field, too. Too bad, he was pretty talented, too. Guess those pre-draft red flags were legit. 

And the same woman who accused and later recanted. What a mess. 

I really thought he would get healthy and be an impact player. What a waste

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/11/25/18110990/49ers-release-reuben-foster-domestic-violence-arrest

The San Francisco 49ers announced Sunday morning they are releasing linebacker Reuben Foster following allegations of domestic violence. He will be subject to waivers on Monday.

The release comes a little under 12 hours after he was arrested on Saturday evening at the team hotel in Tampa, Florida. Foster is accused of battery by the same woman who accused and later recanted her accusation earlier this year. As of this publishing, he is in a Hillsborough County jail awaiting a court hearing to have bail set.

This was Foster’s third arrest over the past 11 months. He was arrested in January in Alabama for possession of marijuana. He was arrested in February on suspicion of domestic violence and an illegal weapons possession. The domestic violence charge was dropped after the alleged victim recanted. He pled no contest to the misdemeanor gun charge.

The release brings with it a $3,678,954 dead money hit for the 49ers and a loss of $1,728,440 in cap space. There is no word at this point what Foster’s guaranteed money was at this point given his two previous arrests.

Im about to accept the fact that maybe Shanahan wasnt ready to be a HC yet. Yeah we have a lot of injuries, but we had Green Bay and Arizona both beat late in the 4th only to melt down and give the games away. Some of that is on the players and some is on coaching. Im not sure what Saleh is doing, he seems to play super conservative when we have a lead for whatever reason. I didnt see any blitzes or stunts against Rosen when the game was on the line and they needed to score. Its not the hardest thing in the world to rattle a rookie QB yet we let him drop back and pick apart our horrible defense.

And why not give Mullens a start at this point? Whats the worst that can happen - turnovers and a loss? lol. Might a well see if he can do better than Beathard since the season is a complete wash.
I think Shanahan’s been great coaching a largely talentless roster. They have absolutely no business getting the offensive production they are getting out of these players. The problem is that I think he has de facto personnel power and he and Lynch haven’t been excelling there. 

So now that there’s evidence that Foster may not be very good on the field, we finally see the application of the “zero tolerance” policy.  :rolleyes:

With Garcon and Goodwin out is Pettis the WR 1 today for the 49ers?

Edit to say it looks like Bourne is the best play here.  Looking for a boom or bust sleeper here.

I'm at the game...the 49ers look terrible...the O-line is letting the Bucs D get pressure all day and the 49er offense has nothing other than Brieda and Kittle. 

The good news is SF gets the ball first in the 2nd half and is only down a TD.  

Gonna go grab another beer now.

1st and goal inside the 2 and they couldn't punch it in against the lowly Bucs. :lmao:

I left at the start of the 4th when the Bucs scored their final TD. Just a bush league performance today.

Wingnut said:
1st and goal inside the 2 and they couldn't punch it in against the lowly Bucs. :lmao:

I left at the start of the 4th when the Bucs scored their final TD. Just a bush league performance today.
About what I expected, honestly.  I like Pettis, but outside of Pettis/Kittle, would any of these receivers make another roster? Kittle's false start on the goal line was costly.

Bright spots for the season? McGlinchey is a beast, and looks to be an absolute hit of a pick. Warner looks pretty good, but I feel like he's missing a lot of tackles. 

Buckner is an absolute beast and Armstead is playing well, I'd like to see them use Thomas inside more. Doesn't make sense to pick Thomas so high, when he excelled at interior play, and then ask him to play outside as an edge rusher. Didn't work last year, either.  If they're not going to play Thomas inside, then he's just going to keep struggling and be a waste of a pick.

Witherspoon has had a rough season, after playing so well last season. Sherman has been good, but outside of that, this secondary has been pretty terrible.

Wingnut said:

I assume you bought the tickets before the season started?  😏

I couldn't even make it though the first half watching on TV.  Breida and Kittle played well.  Pettis got some separation, which was nice to see.  If they don't start him the rest of the year to let him develop, it will be a surprise (a bad one).

Hate to see it happening, but getting the first overall pick is pivotal to their growth at this point.  Assuming they don't F it up of course.  

Would like to know for sure how the final decisions on draft picks is arrived at.  How much say does Peters have?  Because whatever they are doing is not working obviously.  Lynch seems like a smart guy and I thought the hire was good at the time, figuring he would rely on guys like Peters to make personnel decisions while he grew into the GM position.  I got concerned during the first draft after they made the great deal with the Bears to pick up the 2 3rds and the 4th rounder to move down a spot when they showed Lynch in the 49er war room right before the Bears pick and he said "it has to be Solly, right" (paraphrase)?  Most fans knew Chicago didn't give up that much draft capital unless they were taking a QB.  Lynch was enamored with Thomas and thought everyone else was too.  Then in the 3rd round with Kamara falling into their lap, they had back to back picks and take Witherspoon and then trade the next pick to the Saints, who take Kamara.  Everything I had read on Kamara said he was the perfect back for the Shanahan system.  I was stunned they passed on him TWICE.  

Thank god they got Kittle in the 5th.  Wonder if he would have been the pick if Denver hadn't taken Jake Butt right before him?

I assume you bought the tickets before the season started?  😏

I couldn't even make it though the first half watching on TV.  Breida and Kittle played well.  Pettis got some separation, which was nice to see.  If they don't start him the rest of the year to let him develop, it will be a surprise (a bad one).

Hate to see it happening, but getting the first overall pick is pivotal to their growth at this point.  Assuming they don't F it up of course.  

Would like to know for sure how the final decisions on draft picks is arrived at.  How much say does Peters have?  Because whatever they are doing is not working obviously.  Lynch seems like a smart guy and I thought the hire was good at the time, figuring he would rely on guys like Peters to make personnel decisions while he grew into the GM position.  I got concerned during the first draft after they made the great deal with the Bears to pick up the 2 3rds and the 4th rounder to move down a spot when they showed Lynch in the 49er war room right before the Bears pick and he said "it has to be Solly, right" (paraphrase)?  Most fans knew Chicago didn't give up that much draft capital unless they were taking a QB.  Lynch was enamored with Thomas and thought everyone else was too.  Then in the 3rd round with Kamara falling into their lap, they had back to back picks and take Witherspoon and then trade the next pick to the Saints, who take Kamara.  Everything I had read on Kamara said he was the perfect back for the Shanahan system.  I was stunned they passed on him TWICE.  
Yeah I bought the tickets in May when the group tickets went on sale. Great seats, 2nd level 20 yard line with access to the swanky air conditioned club area with tons of huge TVs, bars, food, etc...I'll be buying Tix in the same section next year when the Niners come back to Tampa.

If they don't nail this draft and address other needs via free agency in a big way this offseason, I'm gonna jump off the Shanny/Lynch train. This is their last chance to keep me on board.

I can imagine what all the 49er beat writers/pundits/blogger/Jed's presser lap dogs had to write copy over Mullens during the bye week leading up to this game. Turns out he's a true third  string quarterback with no arm after all, which of course I said here weeks ago. I might had been generous with the Shaun Hill comparison. Hill ran a Mike Martz offense. So did JT O'Sullivan, but still. 

The release of Foster really means they didn't get the chance to trade him during the offseason, which it was speculated they were going to do with him anyway. The 49er arrest blotter gets longer every season. It used to be the Raiders were the perpetrators of malcontent and mayhem. Now it's Jed's 49ers. 

The fun part: the 49ers going into the toughest part of the schedule after losing to bottom dwellers like the Giants and Bucs in consecutive games. One might say "Well if they had Jimmy the Face....", but he lost to winning teams this season already, and he never played against the Seahawks, or the Rams at full strength either. Now they are going into the latter part with either Mullens or Beatenhard. 

Looks like the 49ers are mired once again into another bad season of horrific football, their fourth consecutive one. Remember when 8-8 was unacceptable? Yeah, it was Harbaugh's last season there! Jed ran him off because that wasn't the expectation. Jed would love for The Rat's son to wind up 8-8 to prove he could at least match Harbaugh's worst season. Now it's just a matter of who Jed fires first: Lynch, or Rat Jr. 

If you're riding a train, it's the Jed Express Line to the bottom of the league. They always run on time, and there are plenty of seats available too. 

If they don't nail this draft and address other needs via free agency in a big way this offseason, I'm gonna jump off the Shanny/Lynch train. This is their last chance to keep me on board.
Part of the problem with free agency is the bay area itself.  High cost of living and high state taxes means they have to pay more that other teams to draw players.  Plus, as a place to visit, the bay area is cool, but personally, I wouldn't want to live there and it doesn't have the same appeal as Southern California for lifestyle.  Fans complain that the 49ers overpay for free agents (and they do), but kind of have to.  Giants have the same issue in baseball for a lot of the same reasons in addition to a big ballpark that hurts power stats.  They built their championships teams through the draft and some good trades.  Niners have to do the same thing.  Can't count on adding impact free agents unless they overpay.

Having the first overall and then the first pick on day two would be huge.  Hate is as a fan, but fact of life at this point that they need to lose out.  If Chip had tanked the last game in 2016, Garrett would have been on the team instead of Thomas.  A pick that even a rookie GM couldn't mess up.  

Part of the problem with free agency is the bay area itself.  High cost of living and high state taxes means they have to pay more that other teams to draw players.  Plus, as a place to visit, the bay area is cool, but personally, I wouldn't want to live there and it doesn't have the same appeal as Southern California for lifestyle.  Fans complain that the 49ers overpay for free agents (and they do), but kind of have to.  Giants have the same issue in baseball for a lot of the same reasons in addition to a big ballpark that hurts power stats.  They built their championships teams through the draft and some good trades.  Niners have to do the same thing.  Can't count on adding impact free agents unless they overpay.

Having the first overall and then the first pick on day two would be huge.  Hate is as a fan, but fact of life at this point that they need to lose out.  If Chip had tanked the last game in 2016, Garrett would have been on the team instead of Thomas.  A pick that even a rookie GM couldn't mess up.  
Im not buying the expensive angle. I get the taxes thing, but players dont have to live in the city they play in, theryre only there for the offseason program and then what, 10 games including preseason (and maybe another one or two in postseason if they're lucky). Lots of players live in different states than they play in. And with the crazy contracts players get these days, it's not like they can't buy a place until they move on to another team or retire, then sell it and probably even make money, especially how real estate in CA just keeps going up.

But yeah it seems to be an issue bringing in big FAs...I hope they at least try this offseason.

Oddly, players pay state taxes in the state they earn the income in, which for NFL players has been interpretted as the state where the stadium is for each game separately.  So even players in states with no income tax are paying state taxes on game checks for road games.  And where they choose to live doesn’t affect this.

Playing for a team that plays in a no-tax state means at least 8 checks tax-free.  Living there but playing in a high-tax state still means cutting that state a check.

It’s all athletes, not just NFL players. 25-30 State & City tax returns is common in North America team sports.

7 states have no income taxes, but currently only 3 have NFL franchises (FL, TX, WA.)

San Francisco has a 1.5% IT & the top rate for CA is 13.3%. To illustrate, a guy making $8M would apportion 50% or 4M to home games. Times 14.8% that’s $592K. Not insignificant.

Also, that’s just base salary. Signing or reporting bonuses are 100% to where they are earned, so the language is important. The precedent case was Cecil Fielder; after his 51 HR season he got a fat multi year deal with hefty annual reporting bonuses. NYS tried to get their fingers on that when the Tigers traded him to the Yankees, but his lawyers successfully argued he earned the reporting bonus when he reported to Spring Training in Florida.

Wingnut said:
Im not buying the expensive angle. I get the taxes thing, but players dont have to live in the city they play in, theryre only there for the offseason program and then what, 10 games including preseason (and maybe another one or two in postseason if they're lucky). Lots of players live in different states than they play in. And with the crazy contracts players get these days, it's not like they can't buy a place until they move on to another team or retire, then sell it and probably even make money, especially how real estate in CA just keeps going up.

But yeah it seems to be an issue bringing in big FAs...I hope they at least try this offseason.
Have to disagree here.  

Its not like players just fly in for the games on Sunday. It’s basically a 6 month a year commitment to spend your life in the city you play in. If they have a family, kind of hard to be away from them most of that time, so you will either be separated or live in that city for 6 months. Also, being on the west coast isn’t for everyone. A player who grew up in the Midwest is less likely to move to the Bay Area than find somewhere closer to home unless he is compensated (overpaid).  

Cost of living does play into it, especially for football players, who have shorter career expectations and especially for players that aren’t pulling in the huge contracts like Garoppolo is. Think Garçon and McKinnon sign in SF in they don’t overpay?  

49er fans complain when the team doesn’t sign free agents and then complain when they do sign them but they overpay, but it’s not going to change. It also doesn’t help that they’re losing and players have to bye into a rebuild when they sign, but location is a huge factor  

Users who are viewing this thread