What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (1 Viewer)

I wouldn’t have NEVER guessed they’d use Ertz so little after last season. One of the worst coaching decisions ever from this staff. 
yeah, i guess we see knuckle-headed stuff like this so much in the NFL that I was accepting it as "ok" but yesterday there were probably three SOLID plays here Ertz was single covered and had the advantage and Wentz was trying to throw into double coverage once to Dalls and the other two times he settled for much less (small dump off and an incomplete).  Like I said, i get the philosophy BUT there are some games (lots of the, actually) where the other team simply isn't either aware enough or good enough to stop you from using your best players so I don't like the idea of teams doing their opponent's jobs for them.  I prefer the New England and Seattle philosophy of "Oh, you can't stop this...well, guess we will just give you some serious on the job training until you get good or go home with an L".

I wouldn’t have NEVER guessed they’d use Ertz so little after last season. One of the worst coaching decisions ever from this staff. 
I was expecting a slight target regression for Ertz, but due to the rise of Goedert, basically our version of a Gronk/Hernandez style offense, instead I've left almost every game wondering why they both weren't used more often and more creatively. Both can be matchup nightmares for defenses. 

Disagree with some people here, I think WR is the #1 need on this team, unless you can guarantee me Jackson comes back and will stay healthy the rest of the year. This is a slow, plodding offense that requires Wentz to be perfect to have success. No one is getting separation, no one is making tough or even routine catches consistently. Speed on the outside is so desperately needed.

yeah, i guess we see knuckle-headed stuff like this so much in the NFL that I was accepting it as "ok" but yesterday there were probably three SOLID plays here Ertz was single covered and had the advantage and Wentz was trying to throw into double coverage once to Dalls and the other two times he settled for much less (small dump off and an incomplete).  Like I said, i get the philosophy BUT there are some games (lots of the, actually) where the other team simply isn't either aware enough or good enough to stop you from using your best players so I don't like the idea of teams doing their opponent's jobs for them.  I prefer the New England and Seattle philosophy of "Oh, you can't stop this...well, guess we will just give you some serious on the job training until you get good or go home with an L".
Our offensive coordinator sucks

Just one guy's opinion on the outside looking in (not an Eagles fan or anything) but I think the Eagles are making a mistake and outthinking things when they openly say that Wentz wants to not lock on to Ertz as much and wants to spread it out more.  Always a good philosophy but its kind of silly to have such great talent and a proven chemistry and rhythm that works and then unsettle it.  I don't think The Chargers would have looked better to stop going to Gates back in the day or there is a good reason that Brees would suddenly stop looking Michael Thomas' way. Sometimes, using your best resources IS the answer.  
The Eagles offense works best when they stretch the field and spread the ball around. They had problems stretching the field last year because Wallace got hurt. They have had problems this year because Jackson got hurt. As evidence, just go back to the Super Bowl two years ago: Yards from scrimmage: Clement 108, Agholor 93, Blount 90, Jeffery 73, Ertz 67, Ajayi 57, Smith 49. The defense has a hard time taking anything away because there are so many good options. The Eagles mistake was not drafting a deep threat because the liklihood of Jackson getting hurt was pretty high. But just in his one game this year you see what his impact on the offense was.

The Eagles offense works best when they stretch the field and spread the ball around. They had problems stretching the field last year because Wallace got hurt. They have had problems this year because Jackson got hurt. As evidence, just go back to the Super Bowl two years ago: Yards from scrimmage: Clement 108, Agholor 93, Blount 90, Jeffery 73, Ertz 67, Ajayi 57, Smith 49. The defense has a hard time taking anything away because there are so many good options. The Eagles mistake was not drafting a deep threat because the liklihood of Jackson getting hurt was pretty high. But just in his one game this year you see what his impact on the offense was.
You can say that about any team.  The Chiefs are so good because of that. The Patriots were devastating in that regard when they had Hernandez, Gronk, Welker, etc, etc.  So, sure, every team is best when they have the difference making players doing difference making things but consistently good teams are the ones that recognize their strengths and use them and that is what I mean here.  If the Eagles had Tyreek Hill and Alvin Kamara, sure, they would be best making teams pick their poison.  But they don't.  But what they DO have is a terrific TE that can stretch the field and make plays, a big WR on the outside and capable RBs that could...in theory...do a lot of damage and set up that play action dynamic that would work well with Ertz and Alshon.  But they are using what they have, they are talking about philosophy that they have no idea how to employ. 

You can say that about any team.  The Chiefs are so good because of that. The Patriots were devastating in that regard when they had Hernandez, Gronk, Welker, etc, etc.  So, sure, every team is best when they have the difference making players doing difference making things but consistently good teams are the ones that recognize their strengths and use them and that is what I mean here.  If the Eagles had Tyreek Hill and Alvin Kamara, sure, they would be best making teams pick their poison.  But they don't.  But what they DO have is a terrific TE that can stretch the field and make plays, a big WR on the outside and capable RBs that could...in theory...do a lot of damage and set up that play action dynamic that would work well with Ertz and Alshon.  But they are using what they have, they are talking about philosophy that they have no idea how to employ. 
I don't understand what you mean with this. 

Biggest takeaway I had from yesterday is that this team is still a dangerous one, and it would be silly to write them off right now. Any team that can win on the road in Green Bay and Buffalo this year should be a contender. Still need to figure some stuff out in the secondary, but the pieces are there to make some noise.

Oh what could they be with a better bounce or two against Atlanta and/or Detroit

Just that they are talking and philosophizing about a good concept but they don't know how to execute it. 
I think the biggest problem with Pederson is he sometimes has a tendency, ala Andy Reid, to abandon the run. It has been exacerbated this year because the Eagles defense has been so bad early in games and has put the Eagles into double digit deficits. But when they do stick with the run, and it looks like they have two good backs in Howard and Sanders, then the passing game opens up. I don't think they should intentionally not go to Ertz, rather look for the best option the defense gives you. Because Ertz is talented he will get open and he will be the best option quite a bit. 

Disagree with some people here, I think WR is the #1 need on this team, unless you can guarantee me Jackson comes back and will stay healthy the rest of the year. This is a slow, plodding offense that requires Wentz to be perfect to have success. No one is getting separation, no one is making tough or even routine catches consistently. Speed on the outside is so desperately needed.
And how long does it take for one we trade for to become acclimated and earn a meaningful role? Do you have any faith that our OC can get one and get him involved?

And if speed WR is what literally makes or brakes the offense we can’t keep recycling one every year. We need one that’s young, talented and who can be here for a few years. Can’t keep doing the Smith-Wallace-Jackson-Anderson thing. Im all for spending draft resources on one. 

I think the biggest problem with Pederson is he sometimes has a tendency, ala Andy Reid, to abandon the run. It has been exacerbated this year because the Eagles defense has been so bad early in games and has put the Eagles into double digit deficits. But when they do stick with the run, and it looks like they have two good backs in Howard and Sanders, then the passing game opens up. I don't think they should intentionally not go to Ertz, rather look for the best option the defense gives you. Because Ertz is talented he will get open and he will be the best option quite a bit. 
Do you know how much pressure there is on a QB, HC, OC or offense in general to score TD’s all the time because if you don’t you’ll be down almost immediately? I think THAT is the driver behind all of this. Especially running the ball and sticking with it. That’s 3-0 lead yesterday was our first lead since week 5 and was erased immediately. It’s over and over and over again. 

Deamon said:
Can't believe the Bears hit an upright on a FG today, and also missed a 41 yarder for the wine at the end.  Now they have to think about that the whole week they prepare for Philly. 

Expecting to be around a 4.5 point fave in that game.  Will be our first home game in 4 weeks.  Feeling a 23-17 type game..
Pinerio has been really good too for them. A bit of a hiccup there. Trubisky and the offense looks terrible. Stop Cohen and Montgomery and they essentially have zero offense. We should win fairly easily but their D is still very solid 

jasvic said:
Traded for Cleveland DE Genard Avery, gave up undisclosed 2021 pick. Anyone know anything about this guy?
Mort says Eagles loved him as a prospect developmental guy. They also have one of the Browns FO people who drafted him. Given their new Defense and the guys they have it sounds like he just didn't fit a #s game 

So I got a chance to talk to my CO workers son who works for the team today. He came while I had my lunch break so He stayed and had lunch with me. We talked a few things

On the Wentz Locker room stuff: 

Apparently Howie, Lurie and Pederson and others have not been pleased with the stuff coming out. They have some names in mind of the culprit or culprits and plan to talk to those involved before any action is taken. Locker room leaders such as Jenkins, Kelce, Peters, Lane and Cox aren't happy either and the staff wants to find the culprit before these guys do. Most of the team is behind Carson. Don't be surprised depending how that meeting goes when the team figures out the rat they get flat out cut. I didn't get possible suspects but was told no one is being ruled out including coaches an other Organization employees. He himself loves Wentz. The good guy persona with him is all true. The dude helped him out pick his engagement ring for his proposal to him then GF at the same place and for a discount Carson got the ring he gave to his now Wife after the SB. Carson was one of the first players not on the DB side of things to call him after my Buddy's bother unfortunately past away the year of the SB too. 

On Scandrick and his comments:

Considering he worked with the guy this is interesting. He said Scandrick didn't fit the whole TEAM FIRST MENTALITY and during practice Dogged it at times. There was serious consideration from coaches after his lack of effect the first Series against Dal benching him the rest of the game. He thinks Scandrick dogged it because he knew he was only there until the Eagles got their main Corners back and may not have wanted to risk injuring himself for a team he knew was gonna cut him anyway. The comments he believes as well as others is soar grapes by a guy who got called out by Jenkins and others for dogging it. He was called out at Halftime during the Dal game for poor effort but I was not privy to who it was just that it seemed the team was on whoever called him out agreement with. He believes scandrick just piggy backed off the comments from the offseason or whoever the rats are to make himself look better. 

Sidney Jones: 

They love the kid but what I got out of this convo is Sid's leash is getting shorter and shorter the more time passes and he doesn't improve. My sense was the team wouldn't hesitant to throw him in a deal for say if they are getting Patrick Peterson or another high profile player. In other words they aren't married to the guy as much as they were before. 

Zach Brown:

No explanation really shocked a few guys. Believed it was more so because Brown is such a one dimensional player (Run Stopper) and the Eagles play so much Nickel it was a waste of a spot. Plus the team had Alex Singleton on the PS who the team absolutely loves. 

Trades

This was before the Avery trade. The team isn't going to get high cost (Contracts) guys in here and spend big to help another team out just to grab a need. So don't expect a Norman or Janoris Jenkins unless Howie believes the team is getting a discount on the guy. If they do make a trade for a guy with controllable years left it's gonna be like Avery here it looks like. Guy who doesn't kill the cap. They were interested in Drake but the interest seemed more of Howie just making his do diligence. They also were sniffing around Leonard Williams before he went to the Giants (Note: The Williams trade is the first ever trade the Jets and Giants have made with one another in NFL History). The team wants to acquire someone like a Patrick Peterson or Darius Slay. They won't hesitate to give up a guy they are down on (Sidney or Nelly). They also aren't married to Big V. They love his versatility but not sure they want to pay the money he could get in FA to a back up but they won't just give the guy away. 

Jalen Ramsey:

Nothing that really has't been said so far in public other then they tried really hard to get him. In the end Howie was not giving up the picks it was gonna take. I did get that they tried to put a package together centered around one or both of Jones/Nelly and possible one other guy with Picks. It's obvious Howie was valuing those picks plus I don't think they wanted to pay him the green he wants. 

We did talk about other stuff but that was more private/life type things as well as him asking me about work and all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
renesauz said:
Biggest takeaway I had from yesterday is that this team is still a dangerous one, and it would be silly to write them off right now. Any team that can win on the road in Green Bay and Buffalo this year should be a contender. Still need to figure some stuff out in the secondary, but the pieces are there to make some noise.

Oh what could they be with a better bounce or two against Atlanta and/or Detroit
As long as they avoid going down 10-14 points in the 1st quarter, they should be in every game.

welp, last day for a move.  I don't want a 3rd round rental like Tate last year. A 1st for a super stud, or a low low pick for a rental, sure. Don't want to give up 2nd and 3rds though for middling talent.

if they believe djax is about to come back  why would they trade anything for another wr?  we need secondary and pass rush
I have no confidence this isnt gonna be a lingering injury. You'd trade something because you want option even if he comes back, and because you've seen that Agholor is completely unsuited for anything beyond the line of scrimmage

So the Eagles are the epitome of a .500 team right now. They can be very good (the Packers only loss was to the Eagles) and they can be very bad (the Falcons only win was against the Eagles). They have 4 games in the second half that should be easy wins (Miami, Washington, Giants x2). Notice I said should. They have a game this week that they also should win but it is not a gimme given Chicago's defense. That leaves 3 tough home games against NE, Seattle, and Dallas. I think whether the Eagles makes the playoffs or not all depends on if their defense can play well against Dallas. In the last 3 games against Dallas, the defense has given up at least 400 yards in all 3 and given up an average of 31 points. Unless that changes the Eagles will get swept by Dallas and the Eagles will be playing golf in January, probably with a 9-7 record.

someone offered a 4th for Robby Anderson, maybe it was the Eagles? Jets wanted a 2nd. Yeah no, probably not even getting a 3rd for Robby.

Yea, I don't have confidence DJax will be 100% this year, but giving up a 2nd for a one year rental of Anderson is a bad move.
I looked at what the Jets were doing as wise. If a team is willing to overpay for a guy then so be it. I think that’s why they floated Bell and Adams late as well 

Any of you homers have any insight into Ertz vs Goedart?  Stats over the last 3 weeks are:  targets/receptions/yards/tds

Ertz 19/8/112/0

Goedart 17/12/139/2

Is Ertz being asked to block more?  Maybe Ertz is running shorter routes than Goedart?  Are these stats a trend that should be noted or just an anomaly?

Any of you homers have any insight into Ertz vs Goedart?  Stats over the last 3 weeks are:  targets/receptions/yards/tds

Ertz 19/8/112/0

Goedart 17/12/139/2

Is Ertz being asked to block more?  Maybe Ertz is running shorter routes than Goedart?  Are these stats a trend that should be noted or just an anomaly?
Ertz is getting doubled almost every play he runs a route. When he's not, Carson can't always find him quick enough. Goedert is usually in single coverage against a safety or LB so Carson is finding him a bit more. 

If Desean is finally healthy this week, that should open everything else up again underneath.

Ertz 19/8/112/0

Goedart 17/12/139/2

I'm actually surprised Ertz is leading in a few of those categories. 

But ya, what Insein said.

Ertz 19/8/112/0

Goedart 17/12/139/2

One thing that Ertz definitely is not being asked to do is to block more.

Ertz 19/8/112/0

Goedart 17/12/139/2

I'd say they're likely a trend.  Goedert is playing as many snaps right now as any of the WR's, and just under the snaps of Ertz.

It’s been more than 13 months since the Eagles had a healthy secondary (week 3 2018)

They’ve played 23 consecutive games with at least one of their starters missing.

On Sunday, when the Eagles face the Bears at the Linc, the band will finally be back together.

Full Article Here

Deamon said:
It’s been more than 13 months since the Eagles had a healthy secondary (week 3 2018)

They’ve played 23 consecutive games with at least one of their starters missing.

On Sunday, when the Eagles face the Bears at the Linc, the band will finally be back together.

Full Article Here
16 starting DB's in 23 games. That's amazing. No wonder our secondary sucked (notice I am putting that in the past tense!)

16 starting DB's in 23 games. That's amazing. No wonder our secondary sucked (notice I am putting that in the past tense!)
Yep, that's crazy.  Not saying the guys are great players or anything, but it just seems crazy to go through this many DB's!

Here’s a look at the 18 different starting secondaries the Eagles have used since last year began:

3    Maddox / Douglas / LeBlanc / Jenkins / Graham 
2    Darby / Mills / Jenkins / McLeod
2    Darby / Mills / Jenkins / Maddox
2    Jones / Douglas / LeBlanc / Jenkins / Graham
2    Maddox / Douglas / Jenkins / Graham 
2    Darby / Jones / Maddox / Jenkins / McLeod
2    Douglas / Jones / Sendejo / Jenkins / McLeod
1    Darby / Mills / Graham / Jenkins / McLeod
1    Darby / Mills / Jenkins / Graham
1    Darby / Mills / Jones / Jenkins / Maddox
1    Darby / Mills / McDougle / Jenkins / Maddox
1    Darby / Douglas / Maddox / Jenkins / T. Sullivan