What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 San Francisco 49ers thread *** NEW 2020 THREAD LINK INSIDE (2 Viewers)

I hope Shanahan doesn't play conservative against Mahomes and Company. There is no reason to hold back in 2 weeks...open that playbook and take it to KC!!!!

I hope Shanahan doesn't play conservative against Mahomes and Company. There is no reason to hold back in 2 weeks...open that playbook and take it to KC!!!!
He's taking what the defense give him. When you're up by that much and can run it at will the second half strategy makes sense. They were never in danger of losing the game. I expect another strong running performance. Jimmy is going to have make a lot more plays though to win . He's shown he's more than capable. They showed tonight that they could pass when they wanted to. I like or our pass defense/running game against an offense that takes time to develop and a bottom of the barrel run defense. And Kittle's shirt lmao...

He's taking what the defense give him. When you're up by that much and can run it at will the second half strategy makes sense. They were never in danger of losing the game. I expect another strong running performance. Jimmy is going to have make a lot more plays though to win . He's shown he's more than capable. They showed tonight that they could pass when they wanted to. I like or our pass defense/running game against an offense that takes time to develop and a bottom of the barrel run defense. And Kittle's shirt lmao...
Exactly - they’ve basically had the lead the entire playoffs. They’ve had the luxury of running & playing defense.

if that’s the case in the super bowl, awesome. If not, we’ve seen plenty out of this offense. 

anyone saying the Niners are conservative haven't looked at the stats from the regular season. Highest ave scoring team in the NFC with 29.9 per game.

the Saints game among others, JimmyG put it up plenty. 

Regardless this will be a fun super bowl.

and yeah - that shirt. :lol:  

Taking what the defense gives is fine...but throw the damn ball on 3rd down to keep drives alive late in the game. If you give Mahomes chances at the end he will make you pay. Theres no reason to not have faith in the 49er offense to pickup 3-4 yards through the air when the defense is expecting run. Thats all Im sayin.

That said.....this feels great, baby!!!!

Taking what the defense gives is fine...but throw the damn ball on 3rd down to keep drives alive late in the game. If you give Mahomes chances at the end he will make you pay. Theres no reason to not have faith in the 49er offense to pickup 3-4 yards through the air when the defense is expecting run. Thats all Im sayin.

That said.....this feels great, baby!!!!
They did exactly that in the 4th up 2 scores. 

in the 3rd, up 3 scores, I agreed with punting. If they go for that 4th & 1 and miss, Packers get a short field.  At that point even if the packers score, in theory they kill some time doing it. 

they need to make KC play their game and not vice versa; if they are throwing 45 times in a shootout against Mahomes, they’ll lose.  
4th quarter 3 and outs because you refuse to throw it isn't a recipe for success against KC.

Again...I'm not saying throw it 40+ times, but do what you have to do to keep drives alive late in the game.

Anyway, Ill catch y'all in 2 weeks...I don't get all caught up in the media circus leading up to the game, so I wont be watching/posting much before the big day.

Last edited by a moderator:
 4th quarter 3 and outs because you refuse to throw it isn't a recipe for success against KC.
Absolutely agree. At least run some of the reverses or PA short passes, or at least mix in some motion or screens. There are plenty of high percentage pass plays that still will get you completions and run the clock instead of vanilla runs up the gut over and over again. It's like once he's up by 2+ scores in the 2nd half, shanny goes on autopilot (until the other team starts creeping back in the game) He simply can't afford to take that chance against KC if we're fortunate to be in that situation.

Again...I'm not saying throw it 40+ times, but do what you have to do to keep drives alive late in the game.

Anyway, Ill catch y'all in 2 weeks...I don't get all caught up in the media circus leading up to the game, so I wont be watching/posting much before the big day.
There have been times this year where I agreed with this criticism, but not tonight. 

Such an unreal season.  So amazing.  Was really hoping for a 9ers v Titans superbowl, as it might have been slightly easier to convince the wife to let me go.  Anyone thinking of trying to get tickets?  I know a few from here went to the Superbowl in New Orleans, what's the best place to look into getting tickets? Just the ticketmasters/stubhub etc?  Wondering if they'll come down some once the seasonticket holder lottery is done and some more tickets hit the secondary market.

they need to make KC play their game and not vice versa; if they are throwing 45 times in a shootout against Mahomes, they’ll lose.  
They went toe to toe against the Saints and came away with a victory, but that said, their defense is better now than it was against New Orleans. 

I expect the Super Bowl to be somewhere in the middle. If the Niners can win on the ground, they absolutely will. But if they need to air it out, I don’t see that as an automatic loss for the 49ers since they’ve proven they can Put up points through the air as well. The last game against Seattle when they had two straight third and 13’s to convert, the 49ers weren’t shy about executing. 

it’s interesting that the narrative I keep seeing is about Jimmy Garoppolo being a game manager based only on the playoffs where the 49ers have basically played with the lead the entire time and haven’t had to open their playbook at all.

This is a team capable of winning many different ways… Regardless of how the Super Bowl script goes, I still think the Niners have an advantage given their superior defense & run game.

If KC puts up some points; Jimmy Dilfer will have to make some plays. 
This, as with so many of your posts, is nonsensical. Garappolo had 476 Passing attempts with 329 completions, 69%. 3978  yards with 27 TDs to 13 Ints. 

Dilfer’s best season he had 2859 yards. The most TDs he threw in a season was 21. And he was below .500 TD:INT for his career.

in the Saints game, a crucial victory for the 49ers, garappolo carried the team with his arm, throwing for 349 yards and 4 TDs. 

against AZ he threw 424 with 4 TDs.

so your assertion that Garappolo was a game manager this year is completely ridiculous. 

i find it fascinating that you’ve only been here a short time & your sole purpose appears to be trolling 49ers topics.

perhaps you should find a team to root for instead of simply hating on ours.

it’s interesting that the narrative I keep seeing is about Jimmy Garoppolo being a game manager based only on the playoffs where the 49ers have basically played with the lead the entire time and haven’t had to open their playbook at all.
Yeah, when you score 37 points throwing only 8 passes,  the running game must be clicking pretty well  :pickle:

Some people act like they eked out a 10-6 win.  In the first half, Mostert averaged over 11 yards a carry, but I guess SF should have been passing the ball instead.  Something about running the ball down the other teams throat and totally dominating them has to feel pretty good to the players. 

Shanahan will coach to the situation in two weeks.  Chiefs are tough but I like the 49ers chances. 

They went toe to toe against the Saints and came away with a victory, but that said, their defense is better now than it was against New Orleans. 

I expect the Super Bowl to be somewhere in the middle. If the Niners can win on the ground, they absolutely will. But if they need to air it out, I don’t see that as an automatic loss for the 49ers since they’ve proven they can Put up points through the air as well. The last game against Seattle when they had two straight third and 13’s to convert, the 49ers weren’t shy about executing. 

This is a team capable of winning many different ways… Regardless of how the Super Bowl script goes, I still think the Niners have an advantage given their superior defense & run game.
This... He put up 350 and 4TD's in NO and threw for almost 300 in Seattle to close the year out. There isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't run it like they have been with similar success regardless of QB/opponent. It's the most effective way to win a game. They had 285 rushing yards... Was no need to do anything else.

Interesting stat.  Laken Tomlinson missed one snap in the opener against Tampa Bay and played every offensive snap the rest of the season.  I know Joe Thomas did that forever, but still an amazing thing IMO. 

I know Jimmy is capable of airing it out too, but Mahomes is a different animal right now than him or even Brees from earlier in the season. They remind me a bit of the 99 Rams with their team speed and ability to score instantly. 

I know Jimmy is capable of airing it out too, but Mahomes is a different animal right now than him or even Brees from earlier in the season. They remind me a bit of the 99 Rams with their team speed and ability to score instantly. 
Good thing it’s not Mahomes on defense for the Chiefs then I guess. ;)  

Mahomes hasn’t faced a defense as formidable as the 49ers (and no, the Pats aren’t as good defensively, especially at the end of the season). 

And the Chiefs secondary is not great. They’ve played better in the 2nd half, but they just got torched for long scores by Tannehill, & gave up a couple RZ TDs on the ground and in the air. 

I like the Niners chances regardless of what style of game this turns out to be. Obviously the best defense against Mahomes is to keep him off the field, but I don’t see a completely conservative gameplan to force that to happen.

shanahan will do what he’s done all year - let the game flow dictate how he manages his offense. 

but Mahomes is a different animal right now than him or even Brees from earlier in the season. They remind me a bit of the 99 Rams with their team speed and ability to score instantly. 
He is. But he has also been playing against pretty poor defenses in the playoffs. Houston is 26th overall with the 26th ranked pass defense, Tennessee is 16th and 21st respectively. Last very good defense they played was the Patriots (week 14) where Mahomes went for 283 1 TD and 1 pick. Not unstoppable by any means. He is going to get his, but our defense (now healthy) will be the best he will have faced all year.

KC thrives on big plays that take longer to setup. That will be an advantage for the Niners. They do well against limiting big plays and our pass rush won't allow Mahomes all day to run around waiting. He's super athletic, but he's not Wilson slippery (no one really is). Our LB"s cover well and will need to play lights out against Kelce. Safeties will both need to be at their best. Don't think Jimmy will need to replicate his performance in NO to win, but he will probably need to toss a couple of TD's. For as much as we talk about how good Mahomes/KC offense is, our defense and running game will be the best, fastest they have faced all year. You hear about the speed of KC. Niners have crazy speed everywhere as well.

This is a good match-up. Going to be close, but I like our chances. 

Good thing it’s not Mahomes on defense for the Chiefs then I guess. ;)  

Mahomes hasn’t faced a defense as formidable as the 49ers (and no, the Pats aren’t as good defensively, especially at the end of the season). 

And the Chiefs secondary is not great. They’ve played better in the 2nd half, but they just got torched for long scores by Tannehill, & gave up a couple RZ TDs on the ground and in the air. 

I like the Niners chances regardless of what style of game this turns out to be. Obviously the best defense against Mahomes is to keep him off the field, but I don’t see a completely conservative gameplan to force that to happen.

shanahan will do what he’s done all year - let the game flow dictate how he manages his offense. 
I’m pretty 50/50 on the matchup. I think SF will be able to do move the ball offensively.  I’m concerned about the front 4’s ability to pressure Mahomes given his mobility. They also have a couple WR who are fast enough to run by even a guy like Sherman like he’s not even there. 

I’m pretty 50/50 on the matchup. I think SF will be able to do move the ball offensively.  I’m concerned about the front 4’s ability to pressure Mahomes given his mobility. They also have a couple WR who are fast enough to run by even a guy like Sherman like he’s not even there. 
Watching Mahomes scramble against the Titans when they had everything covered down the field reminded me of when a younger Rodgers would do the same thing. 

So glad Kwon’s back - that’s huge for containing Mahomes. 

True enough.  When games mattered Trent Dilfer was actially trusted enough by his coaches to throw more than 8 times a game
Why, I repeat, WHY would the 49ers possibly have had to throw more against the Packers, and what the ever-loving heck does that have to do with the 49ers “trusting” Garappolo?

It’s like you’re not even trying.  

Why, I repeat, WHY would the 49ers possibly have had to throw more against the Packers, and what the ever-loving heck does that have to do with the 49ers “trusting” Garappolo?

It’s like you’re not even trying.  
Old Dingle Heimer is just sharing his salty tears with us. :popcorn:

Seattle has a chance to win their last two games and have home field thoughout the playoffs. Instead they got B-slapped by the Cardinals and 49ers at home and end up the 5th seed.  I might be salty too if I had to watch that meltdown while Pete chomped on his gum and lost track of the play clock  :shrug:

WHY would the 49ers possibly have had to throw more against the Packers
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with Shanahan's decision to minimize the Garappolo affect yesterday.  Especially after the Vikings game when Jimmy G's dinks and dunks were  constantly off target and frequently right to the team with the wrong colored jerseys.  

Watching Mahomes scramble against the Titans when they had everything covered down the field reminded me of when a younger Rodgers would do the same thing. 
Watching that play reminds me how the rule changes that make it almost illegal to tackle a QB are the main reason why we're seeing a resurgence in mobile QBs recently... How many times do you see a guy get a sack or tackle a sliding QB and have to instantly throw his hands in the air like he did something wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread