What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

Really tired of settling in to watch some great golf, only to step away for a moment and come back to witness something I'm totally uninterested in playing on the TV.

Really tired of settling in to watch some great golf, only to step away for a moment and come back to witness something I'm totally uninterested in playing on the TV.

It's just moved to a different channel, right?
Yes, it's annoying marketing-driven chicanery. I'm okay with annoying marketing-driven chicanery, but it's amateur hour when you turn your product into a scavenger hunt.

It's just moved to a different channel, right?
Yes, it's annoying marketing-driven chicanery. I'm okay with annoying marketing-driven chicanery, but it's amateur hour when you turn your product into a scavenger hunt.
Huh? Golf Channel to CBS is standard. We can go back to the old days and just have cbs from 2:30 to 6 if you'd like lol

I stink so bad. Driver just going off the rails. I'll be doing fine and just fall off a cliff with one bad one. Just feel totally out of control and every swing feels different.

Was having a good round and totally collapsed on the last 4 holes. Just brutal

Just got back from our annual 24 guy golf tourney. 5 days of mayhem. Fantastic week. Weather in the 80's and low 90's this time of year in La Quinta was awesome. Played some new tracks and a few will stay in the rotation. As for golf, I did OK. 2-1 in my Ryder Cup events, and shot 81-82 in the tourney on tough tracks. Got cooked in Low Gross (winner is a scratch and shot 73-75) but tied for the Low Net trophy. I just had no consistency. For 9 holes I'd pipe drives right down the middle. Then I'd flare drives high and right for 9 holes. Or I'd pure irons for a stretch, then struggle to make decent contact. I'm going to have to put in work to get a consistent turn then rotate. My hunch is I'm getting tired and lower body stops moving. Oh well. Wasn't always pretty but I grinded to get it in the clubhouse. Happy about that.

And for any of you who don't have an annual golf outing like this yet - make it happen. Take the lead. You will so glad you did. We're 32 or so years in. Guys flew in from all over - Utah, Arkansas, etc. Nobody misses this event. Golf is secondary to the brotherhood. Belly laughs could be heard in LA.

Just got back from our annual 24 guy golf tourney. 5 days of mayhem. Fantastic week. Weather in the 80's and low 90's this time of year in La Quinta was awesome. Played some new tracks and a few will stay in the rotation. As for golf, I did OK. 2-1 in my Ryder Cup events, and shot 81-82 in the tourney on tough tracks. Got cooked in Low Gross (winner is a scratch and shot 73-75) but tied for the Low Net trophy. I just had no consistency. For 9 holes I'd pipe drives right down the middle. Then I'd flare drives high and right for 9 holes. Or I'd pure irons for a stretch, then struggle to make decent contact. I'm going to have to put in work to get a consistent turn then rotate. My hunch is I'm getting tired and lower body stops moving. Oh well. Wasn't always pretty but I grinded to get it in the clubhouse. Happy about that.

And for any of you who don't have an annual golf outing like this yet - make it happen. Take the lead. You will so glad you did. We're 32 or so years in. Guys flew in from all over - Utah, Arkansas, etc. Nobody misses this event. Golf is secondary to the brotherhood. Belly laughs could be heard in LA.
Ours is in September in northern Minnesota every year. Can't wait.

Longest day in golf today with the 36 hole us open final qualifying going on.

Kid from my club (well, his dad is a member) is playing at the canoe brook venue (after making his way through a local down in Florida). He was playing at our place all weekend. Would be pretty cool if he made it through

Cragun's?

Ball striking is now at an all-time high for me. Shot 73 from the normal blues at my course Saturday then shot 76 from the tips in a match against a scratch handicap on Sunday. Crazy thing is I left putts out there both rounds (over thirty putts each round) and yesterday I missed two putts inside five feet. Also lost money yesterday.

Crazy, frustrating, super fun game.

Kid from my club (well, his dad is a member) is playing at the canoe brook venue (after making his way through a local down in Florida). He was playing at our place all weekend. Would be pretty cool if he made it through
Hovland caddying today for a buddy from college, a day after winning the Memorial. I think I've got another golfer to root for.

I cannot hit my driver all of a sudden, shot a 87 friday and an 85 sunday with some of the worst drives ever. Friday I switched to my 3 wood on the back 9 to stay in play. Sunday started good but then got bad during the middle :wall: thank god for my short game. Time to strip down my swing again try and find out where the issue is. I hate golf

Cragun's?
We've done that before but have been doing Grand View for a number of years now.

Reactions: Zow

Hovland caddying today for a buddy from college, a day after winning the Memorial. I think I've got another golfer to root for.

Been on the Hovland train since Fowler did the documentary on OKSt

I stink so bad. Driver just going off the rails. I'll be doing fine and just fall off a cliff with one bad one. Just feel totally out of control and every swing feels different.

Was having a good round and totally collapsed on the last 4 holes. Just brutal

I cannot hit my driver all of a sudden, shot a 87 friday and an 85 sunday with some of the worst drives ever. Friday I switched to my 3 wood on the back 9 to stay in play. Sunday started good but then got bad during the middle :wall: thank god for my short game. Time to strip down my swing again try and find out where the issue is. I hate golf
You guys should quit for a while................................................. ;)

Used to go on an annual golf trip - then life - then tried to go on a few here and there. The problem is the people I know would rather party than golf. I have no issues with people that shoot poorly but guys firing up 125s is not fun - unti they start using actual HCPs on the trips - I stopped going. It just wasn't fun.

I don't need a bunch of great players but would like more 10s than 30s

Used to go on an annual golf trip - then life - then tried to go on a few here and there. The problem is the people I know would rather party than golf. I have no issues with people that shoot poorly but guys firing up 125s is not fun - unti they start using actual HCPs on the trips - I stopped going. It just wasn't fun.

Yeah, we've got a fairly wide range of players, and that does make it a little more challenging. We have 12 guys and do Ryder Cup-like format. So we try to make teams fair and create fair matchups. That usually means putting the hacks who don't care as much together and putting us psychos together who take it way too seriously.

I hear you on this. My primary big guys' golf trip really struggles with what it wants to be. In other words, is it a drunk fest or a serious golf tournament? The "founders" of the trip are mostly hacks who don't entirely grasp the concept of handicaps and most of the main guys wind up partying themselves out of contention. While this in of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, it creates drama when they don't win and see new faces winning. Also, with us up to like 48 guys now, inevitably creates situations where guys are shooting implausible scores relative to their handicaps creating even more drama. Further, with the tournament at 100% handicaps (and the leader doesn't even adjust for the course rating, slope, and box as he should), you'll get some guy who doesn't have a ghin and claims 32 winning it. This is due in part because of other smart decisions like teeing it forward and creating an automatic lateral hazard drop rule to help with pace of play but they lend themselves to be very helpful to the high handicappers while simultaneously setting it up for the good drivers of the ball to go low.

To combat the above, the tournament has made some good decisions like taking out the big money for first and focusing the money instead on things like daily skins and day winners and the like with the winner competing for the "jacket." We also are competing a tournament handicap for players with at least 4 rounds in the tournament and will use the lower of the player's submitted handicap and the tournament handicap as a barrier. We've also really limited the team aspect of it to discourage guys from bringing sandbaggers/ringers. Also, the biggest whiner has basically dropped out of the tournament so things have settled a bit in terms of the drama.

My partner and I are kind of the heels of the group because we both possess the abilities to do two key things: 1) play very good golf while inebriated; and 2) exercise post-round self-control and, while we still go out to dinner and gamble with the group, we both are hydrating and getting at least some sleep each night whereas some other guys will go like 2-3 days without sleeping and ruin any chances they would have in the tournament. While it's fun to win and the guys trip is a really nice break from life (though the return couple of days are the worst days of the year), honestly this tournament isn't in my top 3 for the year because, like you somewhat pointed out with your trip, it tries to be both serious and a huge party and I'd rather play in a much more serious tournament like a member guest where the golf is the sole focus (with, of course, some sensible imbibing). I actually strongly considered passing this year since I play in a lot of tournaments as is and am only going this year because I like the location (Reno) and my partner is the defending champion and it would be in really bad form to not show.

@gump final check = how's the golf forever thing going? Do you think you could travel with it attached to your backpack or in a carry on?
Going great...and I've got several of the guys I play with using it too...everyone loves it and is feeling a difference in strength and stamina. All guys between 40 and 52. Re travel...I haven't done it yet, but it's 3.5 feet long...so won't fit in a backpack but would in a suitcase big enough (mine is). Not sure about carrying on...good question and will look in to it.

Ball striking is now at an all-time high for me. Shot 73 from the normal blues at my course Saturday then shot 76 from the tips in a match against a scratch handicap on Sunday. Crazy thing is I left putts out there both rounds (over thirty putts each round) and yesterday I missed two putts inside five feet. Also lost money yesterday.

Make any changes to get your ball striking that solid?

Make any changes to get your ball striking that solid?
Moved to a finer whisky for the flask when I play but other than that, nope. I've just been playing more as we're in season here now and the year of no softball I think has really just helped hone in the swing.

@gump final check = how's the golf forever thing going? Do you think you could travel with it attached to your backpack or in a carry on?
Going great...and I've got several of the guys I play with using it too...everyone loves it and is feeling a difference in strength and stamina. All guys between 40 and 52. Re travel...I haven't done it yet, but it's 3.5 feet long...so won't fit in a backpack but would in a suitcase big enough (mine is). Not sure about carrying on...good question and will look in to it.
@Instinctive - can’t carry on but one route I didn’t think of was you can bring the tension bands in your carryon easily, and there are plenty of work outs using just those.

@Instinctive - can’t carry on but one route I didn’t think of was you can bring the tension bands in your carryon easily, and there are plenty of work outs using just those.
ok I think I'm sold. The app gives you a workout program? Like you dont have to pick and think it just tells you what to do?

Hi folks. Looking for some advise. I used to play a lot and just started playing again more regularly. I am in the market for a driver. Something used (I will spend up to $200). I'm a low 90's golfer.

Any advise on a good forgiving driver that won't break the bank? Something in the last 6 or 7 years. I have already done a little research and it looks like a regular flex or stiff flex shaft would work for me. I hit around 250 yards, but I am more interested in a forgiving club, then I am in distance.

Thanks.

Very odd year. Feel like I'm hitting the ball way more consistent. Still have a couple awful shots here and there but my scores are meh. I shot 86 today, windy but I felt like I hit the ball great. I've had rounds where I hit nothing but skulls and fat shots and shot 85 😂

Played 36 holes on Friday. Shot an 81 in the morning despite topping THREE Drives (I'm usually good for like top a month). Went home, rested up....came back in the afternoon and walked another 18. Shot a 42 on the front (just about the highest score I can shoot and still say I played "well") started off with a bogey on 10 (hardest hole on the course). Then proceeded to make 6 straight pars going to 17. Needed 2 more pars for a 79. Drive in the fairway to position A.....and I absolutely dead hook a 9 iron left....hits the cart path....OB. Made a 7. Par'd 18 for just about the most angry 82 I think I'll ever shoot.

And then I basically quit at the turn the next 2 days (although on Saturday it was partially to watch the Champions League final) because I couldn't stop hitting my driver off the planet right.

:shrug:

Hi folks. Looking for some advise. I used to play a lot and just started playing again more regularly. I am in the market for a driver. Something used (I will spend up to $200). I'm a low 90's golfer.

Any advise on a good forgiving driver that won't break the bank? Something in the last 6 or 7 years. I have already done a little research and it looks like a regular flex or stiff flex shaft would work for me. I hit around 250 yards, but I am more interested in a forgiving club, then I am in distance.

Thanks.

No suggestions on individual clubs but just know that there are a million different shafts and the definition of "stiff" varies quite a bit between brands. Shafts also have different "kick points" and load up differently depending on the way you swing.

If $200 is your budget a fitting is probably out of the question, but I dont think I could recomend someone buy a driver without one. Based on a quick search, it seems like Ping drivers are generally some of the most forgiving. And they're not really the biggest name brand (compared to TM, Callaway and titlist) so I think the used costs are pretty reasonable

I’ve been off this whole year, just cannot find anything. I don’t even feel like I can line up a chip correctly, which seems insane. I used to shoot 38-39 in league regularly but this year 43-46. I’m sure something will click eventually but very disheartening….

I hear you on this. My primary big guys' golf trip really struggles with what it wants to be. In other words, is it a drunk fest or a serious golf tournament? The "founders" of the trip are mostly hacks who don't entirely grasp the concept of handicaps and most of the main guys wind up partying themselves out of contention. While this in of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, it creates drama when they don't win and see new faces winning. Also, with us up to like 48 guys now, inevitably creates situations where guys are shooting implausible scores relative to their handicaps creating even more drama. Further, with the tournament at 100% handicaps (and the leader doesn't even adjust for the course rating, slope, and box as he should), you'll get some guy who doesn't have a ghin and claims 32 winning it. This is due in part because of other smart decisions like teeing it forward and creating an automatic lateral hazard drop rule to help with pace of play but they lend themselves to be very helpful to the high handicappers while simultaneously setting it up for the good drivers of the ball to go low.

To combat the above, the tournament has made some good decisions like taking out the big money for first and focusing the money instead on things like daily skins and day winners and the like with the winner competing for the "jacket." We also are competing a tournament handicap for players with at least 4 rounds in the tournament and will use the lower of the player's submitted handicap and the tournament handicap as a barrier. We've also really limited the team aspect of it to discourage guys from bringing sandbaggers/ringers. Also, the biggest whiner has basically dropped out of the tournament so things have settled a bit in terms of the drama.

My partner and I are kind of the heels of the group because we both possess the abilities to do two key things: 1) play very good golf while inebriated; and 2) exercise post-round self-control and, while we still go out to dinner and gamble with the group, we both are hydrating and getting at least some sleep each night whereas some other guys will go like 2-3 days without sleeping and ruin any chances they would have in the tournament. While it's fun to win and the guys trip is a really nice break from life (though the return couple of days are the worst days of the year), honestly this tournament isn't in my top 3 for the year because, like you somewhat pointed out with your trip, it tries to be both serious and a huge party and I'd rather play in a much more serious tournament like a member guest where the golf is the sole focus (with, of course, some sensible imbibing). I actually strongly considered passing this year since I play in a lot of tournaments as is and am only going this year because I like the location (Reno) and my partner is the defending champion and it would be in really bad form to not show.
I've had chances to expand the tournament over the years. It started with 4 guys. Then we went to 8, 16, then 24. Capped it there and haven't bumped it in 20 years even though we have an also eligible list of 10+ players who would wear knee pads to get in. While people dig Low Gross, Low Net, skins, CTPs, LD etc everyone loves the 3 rounds of Ryder Cup play. That's what it's all about. We announce Captains for the following year at the Champions dinner, then the build up begins. Captains select shirts, hats and captains gifts (have had personalized flasks, cigar kits and other cool ideas). Then they do a draft and 3 weeks before the event announce the matchups (one a week). Alt shot, scramble, singles. When pairings are announced the trash talk is off the hook. Sometimes 100 posts in a day on our WhatsApp thread. 24 is just a perfect number. 12 on 12 Ryder Cup for one, and the resort we have been going to is exactly 24 rooms. We take the whole place over. Have it down to a science and have thought about doing a side gig business to put group golf outings together.

Jealous of you guys that get to take these big trips. Sounds like a blast.

Unfortunately, most of my friends dont really play. I have a bunch of consistent playing partners at my club, but its a bit of a hodge-podge of a crew that would never take a trip together.

Looks like our 2025 Trip to Bandon (going with my brother and some buddies) may expand to 12 people...which will be fun (fingers crossed for decent weather in October). But that's a LONG wait.

:kicksrock:

Unfortunately, most of my friends dont really play. I have a bunch of consistent playing partners at my club, but its a bit of a hodge-podge of a crew that would never take a trip together.

Looks like our 2025 Trip to Bandon (going with my brother and some buddies) may expand to 12 people...which will be fun (fingers crossed for decent weather in October). But that's a LONG wait.

You and I shall take an awkward FBG stranger trip

Game is best it's ever been now! 3 straight rounds and a back 9 (my wife only plays 9) all at bogey golf in a row. My misses are less consistent, but now they're also less rare too. My chipping, which used to always be my absolute best part of the game, had left me a bit and I was thinking it's because I didn't get like any spin anymore. So I found the clearance last year's wedges at PGA store and it seems I was right because all the chips are sticking right around the green and it's beautiful again.

Irons are these awesome, towering draws with consistent distance. I now have a more normal person profile where the clubs I'm least consistent with are the 3W, 3H, and 5i and Driver. 6 all the way down to full swing 54 wedge I feel great, but occasionally pull them. Fixable!

Driver comes and goes. It's time for another lesson. Still feels like every lesson and then a few rounds is taking like 5 strokes off.

AND my golfforever thing came today, thanks @gump pushing me over the edge!

Man. I feel like I'm so close to my old self. Back still spotty but I've been striping my irons and driver is coming back. It's weird I feel like I slowed my swing way down compared to the old. The only thing costing me for the most part is chipping and flops. And they aren't bad but just off and I come up a few feet short of where I'm trying to go. I have great confidence in my flop but dumped a couple in bunkers I was trying to get over. Put up another 80

Man. I feel like I'm so close to my old self. Back still spotty but I've been striping my irons and driver is coming back. It's weird I feel like I slowed my swing way down compared to the old. The only thing costing me for the most part is chipping and flops. And they aren't bad but just off and I come up a few feet short of where I'm trying to go. I have great confidence in my flop but dumped a couple in bunkers I was trying to get over. Put up another 80
Though I can hit flops, I only hit a handful of true flops a year. Big risk reward. I’m not talking about higher pitch/lob shots. Are you really hitting that many flops?

Bandon in October should be glorious

Though I can hit flops, I only hit a handful of true flops a year. Big risk reward. I’m not talking about higher pitch/lob shots. Are you really hitting that many flops?
I actually don't hit lobs. I play mostly "flops" but alter the club face and ball position. I hit "flops" with square faces. I learned young about hinging my wrists early and just hitting bunker type swings. But today was a bunch of short sided. I hit pitches and chips like normal. Obviously on thin lies I don't hit flops. I probably hit 5 today

Last edited:
I actually don't hit lobs. I play mostly "flops" but alter the club face and ball position. I hit "flops" with square faces. I learned young about hinging my wrists early and just hitting bunker type swings. But today was a bunch of short sided. I hit pitches and chips like normal. Obviously on thin lies I don't hit flops. I probably hit 5 today
I try to avoid them at all cost but, man, is there anything much better than hitting a perfect flop shot to a tap in?? Aside from an obvious hole out or hitting a green from like 290 over water with a three wood on a par five I can't think of a more fun shot to execute.

I try to avoid them at all cost but, man, is there anything much better than hitting a perfect flop shot to a tap in?? Aside from an obvious hole out or hitting a green from like 290 over water with a three wood on a par five I can't think of a more fun shot to execute.
I agree they are so much fun. I had a great pro at our club teach me the short game and now it's the best part of my game. I don't need to hit it well to score. I can hit a so so drive, scratchy iron somewhere around the green but still get pars. She taught me stock pitch, high lob, flop. It's easy to fall in love with shots you know you can pull off, but I also know that getting too cute when you don't have to leads to higher scores. My rule is to never pitch or chip twice. I'll always put it past the flag if short sided or with a bunker and give myself a chance to make the putt. Take double out of play. But yeah, hitting a sexy high flop stone dead is a rush.

Question - how much do you guys practice vs play? For me, I've never been a guy who can beat buckets of balls on the range. I'm not one of those guys who are great on the range and can't take it to the course. I'm the opposite. Example - if we have a big tournament or match at the club my friends will practice or play for hours 4 days in a row. Me? I'll go to the gym, stretch, then just work on my stance, takeaway and the feels I want on my downswing in front of the mirror in my bedroom each night. Then I take those feels to the course and warm up by first putting, then a few chips, then maybe hit 4 balls each with a pitching wedge, 7 iron and driver. Then I go play. Bodies not worn out, I'm not tight, and I have the swing thoughts I want. (note, I don't work the ball as much as I used to. A pro had me do a great drill with a bigger warmup routine imagining tic tac toe, hitting low, regular and high shots. Straight, fades, draws. So, 9 shots with a 7 iron. I need to get back to that).

The only time I go to work on the range is when my sequence and timing gets out of whack. That may not be the right answer, as there is no doubt my ball striking can improve. If I want to get any better I'll likely have to, as I've already squeezed about as much as I can out of my short game. My index is 7 now, but I won't get down to a 3 as an example without more consistent ball striking and greens in regulation. So what camp are you in? How much work do you put in?

I agree they are so much fun. I had a great pro at our club teach me the short game and now it's the best part of my game. I don't need to hit it well to score. I can hit a so so drive, scratchy iron somewhere around the green but still get pars. She taught me stock pitch, high lob, flop. It's easy to fall in love with shots you know you can pull off, but I also know that getting too cute when you don't have to leads to higher scores. My rule is to never pitch or chip twice. I'll always put it past the flag if short sided or with a bunker and give myself a chance to make the putt. Take double out of play. But yeah, hitting a sexy high flop stone dead is a rush.
I live by the same rule but sometimes you just hit a bad shot :)

Question - how much do you guys practice vs play? For me, I've never been a guy who can beat buckets of balls on the range. I'm not one of those guys who are great on the range and can't take it to the course. I'm the opposite. Example - if we have a big tournament or match at the club my friends will practice or play for hours 4 days in a row. Me? I'll go to the gym, stretch, then just work on my stance, takeaway and the feels I want on my downswing in front of the mirror in my bedroom each night. Then I take those feels to the course and warm up by first putting, then a few chips, then maybe hit 4 balls each with a pitching wedge, 7 iron and driver. Then I go play. Bodies not worn out, I'm not tight, and I have the swing thoughts I want. (note, I don't work the ball as much as I used to. A pro had me do a great drill with a bigger warmup routine imagining tic tac toe, hitting low, regular and high shots. Straight, fades, draws. So, 9 shots with a 7 iron. I need to get back to that).

The only time I go to work on the range is when my sequence and timing gets out of whack. That may not be the right answer, as there is no doubt my ball striking can improve. If I want to get any better I'll likely have to, as I've already squeezed about as much as I can out of my short game. My index is 7 now, but I won't get down to a 3 as an example without more consistent ball striking and greens in regulation. So what camp are you in? How much work do you put in?
I practice approximately zero percent.

I went to an actual range just to hit balls twice this year because I was frustrated with 3 woods off the deck being awful. A shot I never had problems with. So that makes twice in the last 5-10 years probably.

The only thing close to practice is when I'm out in the yard with the dog I'll hit some chips there lol

I show up. Hit a few 8 irons just to get loose. A couple wedges. A couple drives. Then go putt. Some days IL just hit a couple balls just to get the feel. I always putt before a round though

I'm actually kind of terrible on the range. Every once in a while I have a great warmup but nine times out of ten I'm like ugh, and then go out and hit the ball much better. Even on grass ranges. Idk.

Was up in the U.P. this week and played a great course a couple times. Beautiful grass, clean fairways, rough was rough but not insane shaggy, and the greens were absolutely perfect. Fast, rolled true, challenging but conquerable...it was so much fun.

Only par 71, but did shoot an 87, which my app says is a PB for me! I've developed an odd fade-y/slice with every club all the sudden ( my miss was a dead pull or topping the ball, so now I mostly hit it clean every time but a bunch of them fade right). Working with golf coach on it (I see our guy like every 10 rounds or so).

Trying to get me to "lay the club down" at start of downswing, and the visual just does not work for me. It drives me into the ground fat like every time. All his other tip sand visuals have been awesome and after a week or two of practicing what we did in the lesson I see a big jump in ball striking. But this one is just not working for me. I have found that a simple swing thought of "rotate, stay balanced" seems to do wonders, focused on rotational power vs trying to swing the club. My driver, for instance, is about 20-30 yards shorter, but goes right where I want 9/10 times. If I try to unleash it at all it's like 80% a slice so I just live with the distance loss when I play and try to work it out on the range. To not much success.

May have to do a follow-up lesson sooner than I usually do. He also offered to play 9 or 18 with me if I'd like, since he obviously likes to play, and see what I'm doing on the course. Seems like a good idea. Any thoughts from the FBG crew?

I'm actually kind of terrible on the range. Every once in a while I have a great warmup but nine times out of ten I'm like ugh, and then go out and hit the ball much better. Even on grass ranges. Idk.

Was up in the U.P. this week and played a great course a couple times. Beautiful grass, clean fairways, rough was rough but not insane shaggy, and the greens were absolutely perfect. Fast, rolled true, challenging but conquerable...it was so much fun.

Only par 71, but did shoot an 87, which my app says is a PB for me! I've developed an odd fade-y/slice with every club all the sudden ( my miss was a dead pull or topping the ball, so now I mostly hit it clean every time but a bunch of them fade right). Working with golf coach on it (I see our guy like every 10 rounds or so).

Trying to get me to "lay the club down" at start of downswing, and the visual just does not work for me. It drives me into the ground fat like every time. All his other tip sand visuals have been awesome and after a week or two of practicing what we did in the lesson I see a big jump in ball striking. But this one is just not working for me. I have found that a simple swing thought of "rotate, stay balanced" seems to do wonders, focused on rotational power vs trying to swing the club. My driver, for instance, is about 20-30 yards shorter, but goes right where I want 9/10 times. If I try to unleash it at all it's like 80% a slice so I just live with the distance loss when I play and try to work it out on the range. To not much success.

May have to do a follow-up lesson sooner than I usually do. He also offered to play 9 or 18 with me if I'd like, since he obviously likes to play, and see what I'm doing on the course. Seems like a good idea. Any thoughts from the FBG crew?
I like "turn, ball", which is really (1) slow turn, (2) complete turn, and (3) focus on ball as a way of staying balanced through the swing as my tendency is to start swaying and stand up when I get tired.

Most of my practice is from 100 yards and in. We have playing fields behind our house and I hit balls to laundry buckets at various yardages a few times a week more as a relaxation tactic than serious practice. Then I work on trying to pitch the balls into the laundry buckets. It helps with solid contact, in between shots, pitching and chipping.

I got my handicap down to a personal best 0.3 last fall, but it has been steadily climbing to a 3.9, and now is down to a 3.2. My short putting is atrocious - too much scar tissue - and I'm starting to get all sorts of little maladies (wrist, shoulder, hips, knees) that affect my swing. At 56, I feel like I'm barely hanging on to my golf game, but I'm eternally grateful to be playing and won't let it bug me. Have fun out there everyone!

And I'm officially shutting it down for a few weeks. Was playing pretty decent and consistent. Last 3 rounds look like I just started to play golf. I actually had a whiff on a par 3 with a f****** 9 iron.

So disgusted

I go to this estate sale and see some clubs in the garage. I find a Olimar 7 wood for 5 bucks. Has to be 25+ years old or more but looked like it no wear. Never hit a 7 wood so wanted to try it.

Was 170 out and that is start of my trouble area with my irons so thought this is a good spot. 170-175 with my irons has a lower ball flight than I want. I swing this 7 wood and make good contact. The ball goes way higher than I expected and carries to the green and lands like a short iron.

this 5 dollar club has turned into my go to club for the 170-175 range fairway and Par 3s of that distance, and second shots on long par 5s when i want good approach position. Have hit it maybe 9-10 times so far with pretty much the same results every time. Really High ball flight that lands without much roll.

I look at the expensive clubs in my bag and the 5 buck club is looking pretty good.

So frustrated right now. 3 terrible rounds after 3 very mediocre ones. Just nothing going right right now. Every time I miss the fairway I end up in a bad lie, JUST behind a tree, etc. So many long chips rolling to like 5 feet instead of hanging inside 3 feet. Putting mostly stinks and then today was a new one (guessing the humidity had something to do with it) I had 4 approach shots go about 20-30 yards further than they normally go....each one putting me in a terrible spot.

Good layup on the par 5 2nd....had about 75 yards in....usually a half 50 degree wedge....it flies like 85 yards and then I 3 putt
3rd hole.....great 3 wood off the tee (tees were up) leaving myself like 70 yards....go down a club and hit a half 54....it flies the green by 15 yards
9th hole----130 in...up hill...into the wind....hit my 9 iron (usually my 125 club)....it flies the green by 15 yards into a horrendous spot.
12th hole......160 to the back pin (a very tough spot). 148 into the wind up hill to the middle. Hit my 7 (usually by 150 club). Flies the green by 10 yards into probably the worst spot on the course.

After the last one I just so mentally bamboozled I didnt know which way was up. Recovered a little and made a few tough pars on the back but then had 2 putts come up 1 revolution short and then just blew up in frustration on the last hole.

basically playing bogey golf right now as a 10 handicap. This sucks. Think I'm gonna just take tomorrow off because I'm just mentally shot right now.

Users who are viewing this thread