What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Academy Awards Discussion Thread*** - “Hollywood’s Biggest Night” (2 Viewers)

Nomadland was deserving, but it felt more important than best picture to me, whatever that means. Just felt like something you should watch to educate yourself on what people are going through, rather than the best picture of the year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They re-arranged the whole show to have best actor last, presumably as a tribute/send-off to Chadwick (who had won other best actor awards at other shows) and then Hopkins wins, and he isn’t even there and they basically rush to the credits. Extremely weird. 

They re-arranged the whole show to have best actor last, presumably as a tribute/send-off to Chadwick (who had won other best actor awards at other shows) and then Hopkins wins, and he isn’t even there and they basically rush to the credits. Extremely weird. 
Ah. Don't really see the "PLOT TWIST!" angle. I get allowing for the show to go out on a deceased fan favorite best actor award. Not sure what the big deal is. It was always going to be a weird year.

Does this mean that the accounting firm is off the hook for the weirdest ending to the Oscars ever?

(Eh, probably not.)

I was already sick of McDormand..... and then she wins over Mulligan and Davis   :thumbdown:

Nomadland was deserving, but it felt more important than best picture to me, whatever that means. Just felt like something you should watch to educate yourself on what people are going through, rather than the best picture of the year. 
 I thought Nomadland was a very good movie, extremely well acted, beautiful scenes/cinematography, and a very important story - as you wrote.

But I didn't find it very entertaining. It was a slog for me to get through.

Skimmed the highlights here.  Looks like a complete disaster.  My favorite part of this thing every year is the corpse rundown.  So not having the applause meter was a bummer.  

I don't watch many movies now anyways, but this is the first year I've not seen a single nominee for best picture (look at me).  It's been a decade since I've seen a best picture winner now.  

Crazy they bypassed Boseman, who the hell votes for Hopkins in this situation?  

Crazy they bypassed Boseman, who the hell votes for Hopkins in this situation?  
Why is that crazy?  The award is for best performance, not "hey, one of the nominees died, so let's give it to him." 

Note: I have not seen either film yet, so I have no idea, but this idea that they should have just given it to the deceased guy as almost a sympathy gesture is kinda absurd. 

Why is that crazy?  The award is for best performance, not "hey, one of the nominees died, so let's give it to him." 

Note: I have not seen either film yet, so I have no idea, but this idea that they should have just given it to the deceased guy as almost a sympathy gesture is kinda absurd. 
Exactly,

A funny thing happened on the way to an (attempt at) an orchestrated ending.

These awards are all nonsense and actors/studios have successfully petitioned for them for decades. Let’s not pretend like this is something it’s not. 

Also, I saw both and thought Bozeman was better. Hopkins was awesome too. 

Lowest ratings ever. Less than half of last year’s ratings which were the previous low. Under 10 million people watched. Rough year for movies and a bunch of lower energy depressing movies leading things during a rough year surely didn’t help.

Users who are viewing this thread