What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Academy Awards Discussion Thread*** - “Hollywood’s Biggest Night” (2 Viewers)

I can not stand when they don't show the In Memoriam section of the show on the full screen. Why do we need to see people dancing or Antonio Bacachelli singing?
Preach, my brother. Preach.
I can understand having dancers on stage for the Dolby Theater audience. Having Andrea Bocelli and his son singing was interesting, and I am glad the production let the TV viewers know the Bocellis were performing. However, there were many better ways to broadcast the In Memoriam for home viewers. The Bocellis could have been shown on the rightmost third of the television screen while the In Memoriam slide show was shown on the remaining part of the screen. Or build in 5-10 second breaks in the In Memoriam where the Bocellis can be shown (ISTM this was done in the past, where the biggest names might get a longer display that would allow for the TV audience to be cut away to something else briefly).

My rooting interests (produced or distributed by the enterprise I work for) will be Killers of the Flower Moon, Anatomy of a Fall, Perfect Days and Robot Dreams. Past Academy Award nominees from our group have included Parasite, Triangle of Sadness, I Tonya, All the Money in the World, Fire of Love, All the Beauty and the Bloodshed, The Quiet Girl, The Square, Honeyland, and The Worst Person in the World.
Your enterprise has done quite well recently!

1 for 17. But really proud of the great work behind these films.

And to end the segment by just throwing a huge list of names up there on a distant screen that we can not see at home is unconscionable.

I assume those were lesser knowns that typically wouldn't not have even made the segment.
Burt Young, Norman Lear, Michael Lerner, Lance Reddick, Tom Smothers, Suzanne Somers, Cormac McCarthy, Paxton Whitehead, Treat Williams, just to name a few that were listed. That doesn't include the people omitted. That segment is a sacred moment of the year in my opinion and the audience wants to give those lost a final curtain call. They can run over a couple of minutes or cut something like one of the presenter bits to show us everyone we've lost. We didn't get to see Burt Young clip of Paulie saying goodbye but instead we were treated to Octavia Spencer and Melissa McCarthy droning on and on in a terribly unfunny bit.

And then they end the segment with a QR code and a note saying if you want to see more people lost go to the website. Gross. We get 90 seconds each of Regina King, Mary Steenburgen, etc laying it on thick for people they don't know who nobody has ever heard of as if the nominee cured cancer or something but we can't get a 3 second tribute for Burt MFing Young. Reading the internet today I see that I am not alone in my outrage. They get it wrong every single year.

And then they end the segment with a QR code and a note saying if you want to see more people lost go to the website. Gross. We get 90 seconds each of Regina King, Mary Steenburgen, etc laying it on thick for people they don't know who nobody has ever heard of as if the nominee cured cancer or something but we can't get a 3 second tribute for Burt MFing Young. Reading the internet today I see that I am not alone in my outrage. They get it wrong every single year.

Dude, relax. The in memoriam segment is not the main point of the show. Celebrating the nominated and winning artists is.

War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko (not yet streaming) - Yep yep, I'm putting this short inspired by probably my favorite musician only slightly above the short I don't remember seeing. It's that bad. It was written/produced by Sean Lennon, who seems like as sweet a guy as you could imagine (see what I did there), but this is insipid "why can't we all be friends" tripe with uninteresting animation. John and Yoko deserved better.
Oh, dear.

(Tim Blake Nelson is from Oklahoma.)

I'm aware.

Dude, relax. The in memoriam segment is not the main point of the show. Celebrating the nominated and winning artists is.
Agree to disagree. The In Memoriam segment is sacred and important to many viewers. Past winners on stage yapping about what a special person a random nominee is isn't.

Hopefully Emma Stone wins best actress for Poor Things, and It also deserves an award for the visuals, either cinematography, visual effects, costumes, and/or makeup/hairstyling.

But it‘s also kinda woke :kicksrock:
Hooray!
Wait Poor Things is woke?
Pretty much Franken-Barbie.
Sure it’s, as someone described, “Barbie for mentally ill people” but what is woke?

Because she breaks away from abusive possessive men? Because she comes to the conclusion she wants to be a doctor and in charge of her own life? I guess I don’t see a young woman’a search for self and autonomy of her mind and body to be a remotely sensitive or radical subject.

This song is terrible.
Yeah there’s not doubt original music in movies ain’t what it used to be

Not sure I’d go that far as I think the Billie Eilish song is perhaps the best song this year. Not among the onnominated songs - among all songs.
Billie Eilish song is so much better than this Ryan Gosling one.
Oh gosh I strongly disgaree. Give me Mark Ronson and Slash any day.
I think I saw Wolfie Van Halen on guitar at the end of the song too.

This song is terrible.

Not sure I’d go that far as I think the Billie Eilish song is perhaps the best song this year. Not among the onnominated songs - among all songs.
Oh gosh I strongly disgaree. Give me Mark Ronson and Slash any day.
I think I saw Wolfie Van Halen on guitar at the end of the song too.
I am sure it was. I know Ronson wrote the song, played bass and it’s Slash, Wolfie and a couple other real pros on the recorded version of the song from the movie/soundtrack.

Hopefully Emma Stone wins best actress for Poor Things, and It also deserves an award for the visuals, either cinematography, visual effects, costumes, and/or makeup/hairstyling.

Hooray!
Sure it’s, as someone described, “Barbie for mentally ill people” but what is woke?

Because she breaks away from abusive possessive men? Because she comes to the conclusion she wants to be a doctor and in charge of her own life? I guess I don’t see a young woman’a search for self and autonomy of her mind and body to be a remotely sensitive or radical subject.
I don’t really care, as I think outward displays of opposition to “wokeness” are silly. But yeah, female empowerment falls under the woke umbrella, I believe.

Hooray!

I don’t really care, as I think outward displays of opposition to “wokeness” are silly. But yeah, female empowerment falls under the woke umbrella, I believe.
Basically everything non white guy it appears.

This song is terrible.

Not sure I’d go that far as I think the Billie Eilish song is perhaps the best song this year. Not among the nominated songs - among all songs.
Why? For me, everything she sings sounds like everything else she sings.

There's no Thumper Rule here!

(And it's a serious question. I don't get it at all.)
same breathless monotone we fast forwarded after we saw her beginning.

This song is terrible.

Not sure I’d go that far as I think the Billie Eilish song is perhaps the best song this year. Not among the nominated songs - among all songs.
Why? For me, everything she sings sounds like everything else she sings.

There's no Thumper Rule here!

(And it's a serious question. I don't get it at all.)
same breathless monotone we fast forwarded after we saw her beginning.

I think you mean breathy, not breathless. And her voice in that song is anything but monotone.

Hooray!

Ok I thought you were criticizing it the movie for it. The word is annoying because it takes things that people might generally agree with and tries to poison them with a buzzword and association to some extreme other ideas. But I see you aren’t doing that here so carry on.

Ok I thought you were criticizing it the movie for it. The word is annoying because it takes things that people might generally agree with and tries to poison them with a buzzword and association to some extreme other ideas. But I see you aren’t doing that here so carry on.

The worst part of the overuse of the words "woke" and "cancelled" as a pejorative is that those were perfectly legitimate criticisms that bubbled up from people who were tired of radical ideas being passed off as a universal truth. They were able to sting and effectively categorize certain beliefs that were really far out as far as experience and logic went. When people who were legitimately guilty of crimes complained about being "cancelled," or mainstream ideas about how people should treat each other became "woke," the words had been hijacked (generally by politicians and overtly problematic multi-millionaires) away from the people and used by elites who were generally either guilty of the crimes charged with or to rebut ideas they couldn't rebut with their own ideas.

For instance, Bob Baffert comes to mind. He doped up his horses (an abuse of animals and of sport) and claimed his punishment was a cancellation. So does a certain someone who we can't discuss on these boards use the word "woke" to smear ideas he can't rebut.

It's been as big of a loss for some of us that understood what those words originally meant as it has been for the people and ideas now accused of those charges. Nobody but morons are calling things "woke" like politicians are. Nobody but the truly guilty and depraved are complaining about being "cancelled." The words have now lost all meaning, and that's a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread