What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Bishop Sankey - Best RB in the 2014 Draft (1 Viewer)

I agree that the left guard was not doing well Bri.

On Mariotas interception Levitire does not get down field enough for the screen they were trying to set up. Sankey was further downfield than him. It looked like both of them were helping against the outside rusher too long. Really poorly executed screen. That said I think Sankey should have tried to attack the ball even if the result would be a negative play. They had two defenders converging on Sankey and the QB never should have thrown it with how well it was defended.

There was one run on the right side where Sankey got low and followed his blocks as well as getting extra yards after contact. About the only play where I thought he had decent blocking and was able to get down hill. On a later outside run he cannot get the edge as the play was well defensed. At the same time I keep wondering if there is something the defense is reading, something the Titans are giving away that allows them to predict the play prior to the snap, because they saw that coming from a mile away. In theory they had just successfully run inside, so this may help set up the toss outside, but not that time.

Overall I thought the line play was sloppy aside from some decent plays from Lewan.

The Titans missed the extra point after they did score a second TD. They just are not playing good football in all phases right now.

I think if you have him run outside he can shake N bake and get past a defender. If he runs inside, he has to have a lane or he is useless.

I thought it was "funny" that the guy that gets the press as the one who always gets it done, is the one that has been seen with Eddie George a bunch.

I don't want to wait til week four. Make him a 3rd down back, give it to Andrews on 1st and 2nd. Spell him with Cobb. AND if Sankey gets his confidence and rhythm, revisit it later in the year. Throw him a series to see how he does etc.

Overall I thought the line play was sloppy aside from some decent plays from Lewan.
They replaced a HOF OL player/coach and a HOF player/head coach with Tampa's assistant OL coach. THEN they decided it was the players that were the prob and revamped the line.

There isn't a soul that ever watched a football game that would think this was a wise move.

Whisenhunt has some real weird issues or they do with him replacing Munchak, but they've had more than their share of very good linemen and they visit camp, but do they help out? If Fish or Munchak was there, they totally would

Tonight if one guy got any push on the OL, the guy next to him didn't.

Where was Fowler? Why were there single back sets like last year and why isn't he getting a few carries a few targets and leading the way?

Just replace Whisenhunt with Lebeau tomorrow morning.

It's the same stuff, exact same.

If Mariota becomes Locker II I will puke. QB Guru fixed Locker right up so much the guy didn't even want to play anymore.

ETA I may have had a few beers, g'night

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you have him run outside he can shake N bake and get past a defender. If he runs inside, he has to have a lane or he is useless.

I thought it was "funny" that the guy that gets the press as the one who always gets it done, is the one that has been seen with Eddie George a bunch.

I don't want to wait til week four. Make him a 3rd down back, give it to Andrews on 1st and 2nd. Spell him with Cobb. AND if Sankey gets his confidence and rhythm, revisit it later in the year. Throw him a series to see how he does etc.
Eddie George definitely seemed to prefer Antonio Andrews in his comments.

It somewhat seemed like Sankey was benched in favor of Andrews after failing on that outside run. Andrews did not do much better in my opinion but he was more decisive and had a greater sense of urgency about trying to make a play.

When they ran the toss to the left McCluster was able to get the edge. It helps to have blocking.

Eddie George definitely seemed to prefer Antonio Andrews in his comments.

It somewhat seemed like Sankey was benched in favor of Andrews after failing on that outside run. Andrews did not do much better in my opinion but he was more decisive and had a greater sense of urgency about trying to make a play.

When they ran the toss to the left McCluster was able to get the edge. It helps to have blocking.
Yeah run where Lewan is....

I don't see how you don't think Andrews did better than Sankey. Cobb got to run behind their backups, most of whom are better-no not better, they play like linemen should and had no turnstyles. He did well. He should do well and next week he should go against better D and have to do well against them. But what's with Andrews? He subs in to make a HUGE catch, two excellent blocks, a TD, and a two point conversion. If Asiata did that we'd have a thread here asking if people should pick him up despite ADP.

Watching all of Andrews plays in the game again.

The pass to Andrews was a nice play where the outside WR picks the LB 59 and the wheel route gets some separation because of the pick. He made the catch but I didn't think it was an exceptional play that many other RB couldn't make. The refs call holding on 59 after the play. :P

The next time Andrews gets the ball he gets 2 yards off the left side. Nothing exceptional about this play.

Later in the 2nd quarter with Mettenberger in Andrews gets a gut play behind the full back where he gets 3 yards but it able to get a second surge for an extra yard or two. This is alright but not exceptional in any way.

The next play he gets is a dump off near the LOS on the right side and is tackled immediately.

The last touch he gets is a run up the middle where there is a bit of a scrum and he tries to move the pile before eventually getting pushed back. I think he gets five yards on the play.

Not saying these are bad plays. They are effective for the most part aside for the dump off pass where Andrews couldn't get any additional yardage.

I watched many of the pre season games today and I saw better things from Orleans Darkwa and several other RB than I saw from Andrews.

Here is a synopsis of what I saw when Sankey was in the game:

1st run is to the left side where he follows his blocks for 3 yards. The next play is a play action of the same play where Mariota connects with Harry Douglas on the left side.

2nd run is Sankey trying to run up the middle off the right guards block. The defensive end is able to get off his block enough to grab ahold of Sankey slowing his momentum for a 2 yard gain. The next play they try an inside zone run with Sankey which only gets 3 yards but the defense was off sides.

There hasn't been much passing from Mariota and commentators are talking about how they are getting Mariota settled in with the run. This is part of why the defense is keying in on Sankey.

After going with a empty backfield where Mariota gets the ball to Anthony Fasano, they try play action to Sankey but Mariota is sacked. This is how they got into the 2nd and 21 situation that led to the interception on the attempted screen pass that was so poorly executed.

1st and 10 they line up with 2 WR to the right a TE to the left and a FB I formation. They try to pull the left guard and right tackle to left on this play and none of the blockers get out to the left and Sankey is dropped for a loss by the safety and a LB meeting him in where a hole should be. Poor effort with the pulling and down blocks.

2nd and long they go with 4 WR and they run a belly draw to the right with Sankey who gets 5 yards. The right guard and tackle seal off the defenders on the right making a lane up the middle that Sankey finds before being met by a LB at about two to three yards. He drags the LB for another two yards in part because of his angle forcing the LB to tackle him from behind.

On 3rd down Andrews is in and he runs a route to the right flat. Mariota is strip sacked and the Falcons score off the fumble.

After that turnover 1st and 10 they run Sankey to the right side for four yards but they get called for holding on Supernaw on the backside of the play.

Backed up 1st and 19. Number 93 shifts to the right defensive end spot before the snap and he gets past Lewans block to knife down on Sankeys run again to the right side. Sankey accelerates past 93 with a quick cut back inside. The defensive tackle 97 stumbled off the LG cut block a bit but is able to grab Sankey from behind as Sankey crosses the LOS. Sankey is able to drive forward for another four or five yards. Total on the run was 7 yards. This was the best run I saw from Sankey.

2nd and 12 they go shotgun 4 WR and try to run a draw play but 93 is able to get an arm on him to slow him down then the safety finishes him off for no gain. Fasano missed the block on the free safety, they had 3 receivers to the left side.

3rd and 12 Sankey is replaced by Andrews. Shotgun formation. Andrews chips the outside pass rusher and Mariota completes a pass to Harry Douglas for a 1st down.

Sankey back in on 1st and 10. They play action to Sankey on the right then run a WR screen to Wright on the left side for near a first down.

2nd and 1 shotgun. Mariota finds Douglas on the left side on a comeback route. Sankey ran a route over the middle where he was open.

1st and 10 shotgun. Mariota finds Fasano over the middle for 9 yards.

2nd and 1 single back 3 WR to the left. Fasano motions over to the right side and they run outside with Sankey who gets tackled for a loss by the defender number 88 failed to block. The RT Bell was driven into the backfield blowing up Sankeys ability to get to the edge on this run. Eddie George criticizes the play saying Sankey needs to get it upfield on short yardage like 2nd and 1.

The Titans switch to Andrews at this point on 3rd and 3. The pass to Andrews was a nice play where the outside WR picks the LB 59 and the wheel route gets some separation because of the pick. He made the catch but I didn't think it was an exceptional play that many other RB couldn't make. The refs call holding on 59 after the play. :P

1st and goal the Titans run with McCluster on the left side off of a good block from Lewan.

The next time the Titans get the ball, is with Zach Mettenberger. Andrews gets 2 yards off the left side. Nothing really exceptional about this play.

Andrews gets a gut play behind the full back where he gets 3 yards but it able to get a second surge for an extra yard or two. This is alright but not exceptional in any way.

The next play he gets is a dump off near the LOS on the right side and is tackled immediately.

The last touch he gets is a run up the middle where there is a bit of a scrum and he tries to move the pile before eventually getting pushed back. I think he gets five yards on the play.

Not saying these are bad plays. They are effective for the most part aside for the dump off pass where Andrews couldn't get any additional yardage.

So I don't think Andrews out played Sankey. Neither did much that I thought was very good. It is notable that Andrews got the work on 3rd downs.

That's fantastic that you typed that up.

I don't think Andrews was exceptional. I don't know where that came from.

Agree to disagree on Andrews outplaying Sankey I guess.

Really like how you typed all that up

Twitter blurbs from Whiz' press conference

Paul Kuharsky ‏@PaulKuharskyNFL 22m22 minutes ago
Whiz: Sankey had a couple decent runs, we'll see how that all progresses. #Titans

0 retweets 0 favorites

Paul Kuharsky ‏@PaulKuharskyNFL 22m22 minutes ago
Whiz: Sankey suffered from some missed blocks. Had nickel against base offense, we had identification problems. #Titans

1 retweet 1 favorite
Paul Kuharsky ‏@PaulKuharskyNFL 23m23 minutes ago
  1. Whiz: Cobb has good vision, good feet, made cuts, got though the line. #Titans

1 retweet 5 favorites

Paul Kuharsky ‏@PaulKuharskyNFL 24m24 minutes ago
  2. Whiz: Allows for possibility of bell cow, but says #Titans can't play a guy all of a 15-play drive. #Titans

1 retweet 3 favorites
  3. Paul Kuharsky ‏@PaulKuharskyNFL 24m24 minutes ago
    Whiz: Whether we are a committee RB team is up to the RBs. Weren't a committee late. Cobb got some votes last night. #Titans

Rotoworld:

Bishop Sankey - RB - Titans

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said Saturday he is open to the idea of using a true feature back if one of the Titans' running backs asserts himself as such.

"That's really up to them," said Whisenhunt, referring to Bishop Sankey, Antonio Andrews, and rookie David Cobb. "I think thats part of what the preseason is about. We can find out if we can have that guy, not to be cliché, thats the bell cow." Whisenhunt did confirm Dexter McCluster's role is safe as the Titans' third-down back. Sankey finished the preseason opener with just 15 yards on eight carries. "He simply doesn't look at all electric," beat writer Paul Kuharsky wrote.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 15 - 4:49 PM

6 carries for 45 yards against the Rams D is very encouraging. He looks more decisive and comfortable but to be expected with a full camp and year 2. Well at least for those of us that did not panic.

three bad runs, three nice runs

Not at all enough to lock up a starting feature back job but more of the he's the only blue-chip thoughts.

Whisenhunt does not seem to care whether the OL did well or not in evaluating RBs. His issue in the past has been Sankey not succeeding in running tough when the line didn't do well and happy feet. He won't (publicly) care if the line blocked better for this back or that back.

He's still in the driver's seat and the other two were ready to take his spot but 3 and 3 doesn't make Whisenhunt stop wanting to sub Andrews, Cobb, and McCluster in. He needs more for that.

Cobb didn't do great and demand to be started. That's significant and a negative to him.

Andrews and Cobb had two runs that were in the make something out of nothing vein. Sankey didn't have any. Somehow this matters to Whis.

McCluster seems more firmly implanted as the 3rd down back and Andrews as the GL back.

Andrews was the brief sub for Sankey. Cobb needs to take that job from him, then maybe the GL back spot. Ideal for Cobb has to be doing great the next two weeks. Realistic hope is probably a Thunder and Lightning scenario with Sankey.

Andrews needs to break off some long runs and fire up the team when he's given a series. He (incorrectly) still looks like the veteran fill-in type sub.

I think it was super obvious they are wayyy better off with a FB and Whisenhunt needs to stop his single-back nonsense.

My guess today is Sankey the lead of a committee where the hot hand gets it and he gets first crack at it.

As everyone overreacted to Cobb last week, I expect they'll ignore the poor runs by Sankey this week. It is what it is.

2 games left.

1. (14:14) 20-B.Sankey right tackle to STL 46 for 18 yards (20-L.Joyner).
  2. 1-10-STL 46(13:27) 20-B.Sankey left guard to STL 39 for 7 yards (55-J.Laurinaitis).
  3. 2-3-STL 39(12:46) (Shotgun) PENALTY on STL-93-E.Westbrooks, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at STL 39 - No Play.
  4. 1-10-STL 34(12:22) 20-B.Sankey up the middle to STL 34 for no gain (94-R.Quinn).
  5. 2-10-STL 34(11:37) 20-B.Sankey left guard to STL 36 for -2 yards (94-R.Quinn; 99-A.Donald).
Later

1. (4:58) 8-M.Mariota pass deep right to 88-C.Stevens to STL 45 for 35 yards (23-R.McLeod).
  2. 1-10-STL 45(4:16) 8-M.Mariota pass short left to 15-J.Hunter to STL 44 for 1 yard (21-J.Jenkins).
  3. 2-9-STL 44(3:37) (Shotgun) 20-B.Sankey left guard to STL 25 for 19 yards (23-R.McLeod).
  4. 1-10-STL 25(2:51) (Shotgun) 20-B.Sankey up the middle to STL 22 for 3 yards (99-A.Donald).
  5. 2-7-STL 22(2:06) (Shotgun) 8-M.Mariota pass incomplete short right [55-J.Laurinaitis]. PENALTY on STL-94-R.Quinn, Unnecessary Roughness, 10 yards, enforced at STL 22 - No Play.
  6. 1-10-STL 12(1:58) 26-A.Andrews up the middle to STL 10 for 2 yards (52-A.Ogletree).

Bri,

Of those three runs where Sankey was not successful.

The first one Lewan is pushed into the backfield and then out of the way by Quinn who meets Sankey in the backfield just after he received the hand off. The play right after that Quinn is not blocked and meets Sankey at the LOS. The third run was on the right side and did get 3 yards despite a lot of defenders around the hole.

I don't know what RB would be more successful on those plays. Not many.

Biabreakable said:
Bri,

The first one Lewan is pushed into the backfield and then out of the way by Quinn who meets Sankey in the backfield just after he received the hand off. The play right after that Quinn is not blocked and meets Sankey at the LOS. The third run was on the right side and did get 3 yards despite a lot of defenders around the hole.

This Bri guy has no clue he's just guessing. Whiz seems set on getting Sankey going, he will progress and be a fine RB. I liked how hard he ran.Anyone trying to discount his work last night has an agenda and is not worth listening to.

Also love how you suggest my cluster is firmly the 3rd down back yet no mention of his debacle of a drop for a TD.

Just because you follow Tenn you clearly have no pulse on the team.

Biabreakable said:
Bri,

This Bri guy has no clue he's just guessing. Whiz seems set on getting Sankey going, he will progress and be a fine RB. I liked how hard he ran.Anyone trying to discount his work last night has an agenda and is not worth listening to.

Also love how you suggest my cluster is firmly the 3rd down back yet no mention of his debacle of a drop for a TD.

So when a guy drops a ball, he automatically loses his job? McCluster clearly is the favorite for the 3rd down back role. He was last used as such last season and has been used that way so far this preseason.

And Bri seems to be pretty on top of the TENN situation if you've been paying attention. I'm grateful for his insight.

Stanky looked strong and had good balance... when he fell on the ground and stayed upright by his arm it reminded of an old school Ricky Williams in his prime move...

Stank is flying off the board for cheap... 1st rounder vs Corn on the Cobb

Biabreakable said:
Bri,

Was the 3 yard, the -2 yard, or the run for no gain the one you liked? Or are you only drinking the koolaid on the good runs and discarding the three (half) poor runs?

Did you read this?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5780/dexter-mccluster

Do you not see in the pasted part that Andrews came in to sub? Or are you gonna call me off-base there and not look?

Did you notice he did that last week? Who scored last week? Who made the big catch when Sankey's series was stalled?

And then who scored on 3rd down?

Is this about Sankey on your fantasy team?

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Antonio-Andrews-Making-a-Name-for-Himself-in-Camp/9d820045-a836-4dd1-b190-d4582895db02

Maybe this one is?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000511127/article/david-cobb-emerges-as-titans-best-option-at-rb

RB Coach Sylvester Croom has been coaching in the NFL "forever." He said "the linebackers are killing us" one day in camp.

Did you misunderstand that to mean Sankey, Cobb, and Fowler were picking up the blitz well and should be in on 3rd down?

Sankey ran 8 times for 15 yards in week 1. Was that Barry-like?

Did Jim Wyatt give him the starter's job here or just state that it was encouraging? Did Bell mention his happy feet?

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Bishop-Sankey-Turns-in-Impressive-Performance/d77f20d0-a748-414c-ba0d-b4e5ca9bdd8b

Don't insult me because Sankey didn't pan out on your FF team

Biabreakable said:
Bri,

What I've noticed from the other backs is they run away from that and put their head down. I imagine em' cursing and then a few steps and a dive. Occasionally Cobb and often times McCluster will try to make a dash for the sideline. He's the only one that still attacks the spot where the play is blown up.

Their injuries last year on the OL set up the yeah but we still have to play mindset. Whisenhunt has this hatred for any negative play whereas if a back gets a couple yards on a blown-up play he's appreciative.

The three yard one is all Sankey and he got lucky to get 3 but ya know kudos to him on the three. He stopped right near the LOS, tapped his feet a couple times, then went forward again. Geez I don't think a coach, fan, or anyone likes to see that. You can't stop, that's peewee football coaching.

My opinion is on that -2 run, if a RB is going to get hit right after he gets the ball I'm saying "aww cmon" and maybe cursing at the linemen while I watch. Still though that happened a zillion times last year and almost on cue Whisenhunt would say Sankey had to run tougher. Leon played way too much to close the season and it wasn't just words, Whis was genuinely displeased despite the poor line play.

He may be unreasonable but of all the things to jump on Whis about I guess I'm fine with this. Have everyone scared of a negative play and no one free from blame.

Also, on one of the runs Quinn blew up, did you see Fowler hit the LBer which did nothing, then keep at it and drive him back n back some more to where Mariota was post-handoff? Top left of the vine on twitter. Pretty stinkin' cool to see a blocker committed like that

Anyway, my biggest problem was hope and confidence. He looked real good on the first three and then not good on the other three. I felt bad for him like he finally made it and that just sorta dwindled. I would have liked for Whisenhunt to challenge his OL and Sankey to do it again. Give them another series rather than end on a sour note. (Well not completely sour with Mariota passing well, but ya know what I mean)

Biabreakable said:
Bri,

So when a guy drops a ball, he automatically loses his job? McCluster clearly is the favorite for the 3rd down back role. He was last used as such last season and has been used that way so far this preseason.

And Bri seems to be pretty on top of the TENN situation if you've been paying attention. I'm grateful for his insight.
Same, the analysis is very objective/unbiased.

I always appreciate Bri's analysis as a guy who wants his Titans to do well before his FF, or favorite Titans players. Best kind of homer analysis.

That said, last night was promising for Tenn's running game. At times, they opened up a few holes so whoever ran the ball didn't get killed. Sankey looked pretty solid, imo. And he's clearly the back with most explosion. The fact that Mariota already seems to have a good command out there is only going to help Sankey and the rest of the backs. IF Mariota can continue to play like hes the real deal, you'll see this thing open up a bit. Again, that bodes well for Sankey.

I always appreciate Bri's analysis as a guy who wants his Titans to do well before his FF, or favorite Titans players. Best kind of homer analysis.

That said, last night was promising for Tenn's running game. At times, they opened up a few holes so whoever ran the ball didn't get killed. Sankey looked pretty solid, imo. And he's clearly the back with most explosion. The fact that Mariota already seems to have a good command out there is only going to help Sankey and the rest of the backs. IF Mariota can continue to play like hes the real deal, you'll see this thing open up a bit. Again, that bodes well for Sankey.
I see it pretty similar.

Preseason game 1 was a bad outing for Sankey. Game 2 was much better, not awesome, but solid. 14 carries for 60 yards, cumulatively so far is decent, though there is far more to a RB's performance than the stat line, obviously.

I see it pretty similar.

Preseason game 1 was a bad outing for Sankey. Game 2 was much better, not awesome, but solid. 14 carries for 60 yards, cumulatively so far is decent, though there is far more to a RB's performance than the stat line, obviously.
7.5 YPC is solid now?

Bishop Sankey turns in impressive performance.

Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt said he’ll need to watch tape, but suspects Sankey’s resurgence could probably be attributed to him being more aggressive, and improved play up front.

“It was probably a combination of both,’’ Whisenhunt said. “Bishop, I thought last week, was a victim of a couple of different looks that weren’t great for him and tonight maybe he was the benefit of a little better blocking, but I thought he certainly ran the ball well.”

I see it pretty similar.

7.5 YPC is solid now?
Largely echoing the previous poster, whom I quoted, and Rotoworld used the term as well, I believe. The reason I didn't get too strong with my chosen word was it was only six carries, and a couple/few of them may have been meh (reading through posts earlier in this thread). End stats certainly look nice, though, and Sankey definitely showed some burst and determination on the 18-yard run that I saw.

Sankey looked good last night. I'm not sure how that can be debated. The use of the term solid seems to have built in the disappoint from previous outings, which is largely unfair and completely irrelevant to how he looked LAST NIGHT. It's easily the best I've seen him run in the NFL. He hit the hole with authority, was quick in and out of cuts and displayed tremendous balance.

One good game, a few carries really, in the preseason does not a turn around make. Let's see if he builds on it.

San,eh looked good last night. I'm not sure how that can be debated. The use of the term solid seems to have built in the disappoint from previous outings, which is largely unfair and completely irrelevant to how he looked LAST NIGHT. It's easily the best I've seen him run in the NFL. He hit the hole with authority, was quick in and out of cuts and displayed tremendous balance.

One good game, a few carries really, in the preseason does not a turn around make. Let's see if he builds on it.
Exactly, although not really a high standard.

He did appear to have leg drive and determination that I haven't seen him have before. Perhaps a year in a NFL weight room has helped him. I'm interested to see if he can maintain the level of effort he had last night.

San,eh looked good last night. I'm not sure how that can be debated. The use of the term solid seems to have built in the disappoint from previous outings, which is largely unfair and completely irrelevant to how he looked LAST NIGHT. It's easily the best I've seen him run in the NFL. He hit the hole with authority, was quick in and out of cuts and displayed tremendous balance.

Exactly, although not really a high standard.

He did appear to have leg drive and determination that I haven't seen him have before. Perhaps a year in a NFL weight room has helped him. I'm interested to see if he can maintain the level of effort he had last night.
A year in a NFL weight room helped him this week but not last week? That's probably not it.

The OL shuffle was a pretty clear improvement. A rising tide lifts all boats. Everything looked better, not just the run game.

Sankey could be the man here, but I'm not quite convinced yet.

Whis mentioned in press conference today that they are 100% in goal to go.

He brushed off McCluster's drop yesterday and that annoyed some.

He again brought up "minus plays" and I can't emphasize enough how this is a pet peeve of his. He complimented Sankey but as he always does had to point out he hopes it continues. He isn't sold yet IMO.

On Periscope Kuharsky pointed out Sankey has yet to be put in a situation to pass block-always gets pulled.

So...I still think it's Andrews as the sub and GL back. McCluster as 3rd down back. Sankey and Cobb as first and second down backs.

I know people are going to want Sankey to be there when its 2nd and goal from the 1, instead of Andrews, or 3rd and goal when it's McCluster, but 100% is a pretty daunting stat. You might have to concede TD vulture status here.

I don't think Cobb did anything all that great to unseat Sankey as everyone hoped last week, do you?

Cobb had a very nice run on a draw play that I saw. He fought for extra yardage on another run, but other than that nothing much to get excited about. I may have missed some of his plays because they were later in the game.

Cobb is a solid RB with a decent combination of wiggle and power but I don't really think he is starter quality. About the same as Andrews with less experience.

I am usually more skeptical of Gophers players than I should be though.

So, after last week's game and now with Cobb not making the trip to KC, it really does seem like the lead RB gig is Sankey's to start the season, unless maybe he has a horrendous performance vs. the Chiefs.

Guys, I am in. I took the plunge again this year. We need whiskey, xanax and a box of stress balls for this thread. Warning though, first chance I get to sell this guy and I am out.

Aside from Sankey tonight, or along with, I think ya need to pay attention to the LG and RT tonight. It would be real significant if the Titans have a decent OL and after the Rams game it seems possible.

Bri not trying to dash fragile hopes for the Titans improvement. But they are not looking good to me at all.

I also hate the play calling of the coaches and how they make their players jobs more difficult by being too predictable and some times being too cute.

Here is a synopsis of what I saw of the Titans in their most recent game against the Chiefs.

Titans 1st drive.

1st and 10. 2WR 2TE. Nicks to the right, Wright to the left, Walker in the slot right side, Craig Stevens lines up as the FB. Stevens moves up to the left side of the line. Walker motions to the FB position behind the left guard prior to the snap. Bishop Sankey runs off of LT for 6 yards.

2nd and 4. 3WR 1TE. Walker in the slot right with Hunter in close on the line and Harry Douglas stacked behind him. Kendall Wright on the left side. They double team the NT with the center and left guard and Sankey runs a dive play where he almost gets the first down with body lean as he is being tackled.

3rd and short. 1WR 2TE 1FB. Fowler the FB with Stevens on the right and Fasano on the left. Douglas is the WR and Andrews is the RB. Fowler gets the ball and bowls forward for a 1st down.

1st and 10. 2WR 1TE 2RB. Nicks and Wright to the right side. Fasano on the left side. McCluster and Andrews in the backfield. Mariota in the shotgun. McCluster motions outside to the left becoming the outside receiver. Mariota throws to Nicks on a come back route but the corner prevents him from working back to the ball. Incomplete.

2nd and 10. 3TE 1WR Sankey in the backfield. All 3 TE are to the right, Stevens, Fasano and Walker. Hakeem Nicks is on the left side. They run an off tackle play to the weak side with most of the defense shading to that side before the snap. Everyone blocks to the left side and Sankey gets a minimal gain running behind the tackle. The tackle and guard were over matched two to four defenders trying to run to the weak side. 2 yards.

3rd and 8. Shotgun. 2WR 2TE Andrews in the backfield. Walker is lined up in the slot with Fasano stacked behind him, Wright just outside them on the right side. Nicks is on the left. Mariota checks with the center, possibly changing the play. The Chiefs blitz inside LB Derrick Johnson who comes through untouched as Andrews missed the block. Mariota evades the rush and scrambles for 7 yard.

4th and 1. Fowler the FB. Fasano on the left side 2WR to the right. They try to run with Andrews behind the FB block but Fasano gets called for false start on the play.

Titans 2nd drive.

1st and 10. 3WR 1 TE. Mariota ends up scrambling for a first down after faking the hand off to Sankey running to the opposite side.

1st and 10. 3TE 1WR. To the right Fasano and Walker, on the left is Stevens. Nicks is the outside receiver to the left. Play action to Sankey again running to the weak side (similar to the 3TE formation earlier) Mariota is looking first at Nicks but then tries to hit Walker on the right side. Incomplete.

2nd and 10. 2WR 1TE 1FB. To the right side are Harry Douglas outside and Wright in the slot. Fowler is the FB ahead of Sankey and Stevens is the TE on the left side. They run with Sankey in what looks like is intended to be a sweep to the left side because both the left guard and left tackle pull outside of Stevens down block on the end. The NT pushes the center Schwenke into the backfield so far that this cuts off Sankeys path to follow the FB as he is forced to cut inside and avoid them. No one blocks Hughes on the back side of the play because it was intended to be an outside run. Minimal gain.

3rd and 9. 3WR 1TE. Mariota checks to another play. Lewan called for holding the face massk of Ford, which he was. Pass was incomplete anyways.

Titans 3rd drive. (not as detailed description of plays because I was sick of watching them in slow mo by this point)

Mariota is able to get some completions to Wright finally. 3 of them for 60 yards. Sankey had a fumble but the Titans recovered it. After the fumble they brought in McCluster who had a run for 9 yards. Sankey does come back into the game but only for one play. The drive ends with a sack in the red zone. Mariota looks really frustrated. I can understand why.

The blocking by the center was terrible.

They did not establish any passing early on in the game which makes it easier for the defense to focus on stopping the run.

Antonio Andrews seems locked into both 3rd down and short yardage roles.
​​

Users who are viewing this thread