What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official CJ Spiller (1 Viewer)

Week 11, 2011.

The NFL's leading rusher Fred Jackson goes down for the season. Most people were 50/50 on who to pick up as the new Bills RB. Many people said Johnny White or Tashard Choice would take over because they have looked better through out the year and are more suited for the every down RB role. Young and talented CJ Spiller had been a disappointment. Spiller had only rushed 6 times in the previous 4 games. He and White were essentially splitting the backup reps. Spiller eventually got the job and excelled. After a few up and down games, when it was money time he delivered.

Standard scoring:

Week 15- 28.7pts

Week 16- 19.8pts

Very similar to this year. At the time I picked up White and Spiller to see how it would play out. This year I picked up Hightower and Spiller to see how it will play out. Not saying an older Spiller can do it again, but the situations are very similar. Spiller was in a haze and labeled a bust until he was given the number one job.

Here's hoping for another Spiller run.

Rapoport just said that the issue has been CJ learning the playbook and that it's doubtful he returns to the Saints in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rapoport just said that the issue has been CJ learning the playbook and that it's doubtful he returns to the Saints in 2016.
I hope he has a "decent" rest of season, possibly a big last game or two.

Then he is healthy and hopefully the hype machine goes berserk once again next year when CJ finds a new home.

Then I can rejoice in the fact that so many owners will once again be targeting this guy as I purposely avoid him YET ANOTHER SEASON in fantasy drafts.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he has a "decent" rest of season, possibly a big last game or two.

Then he is healthy and hopefully the hype machine goes berserk once again next year when CJ finds a new home.

Then I can rejoice in the fact that so many owners will once again be targeting this guy as I purposely avoid him YET ANOTHER SEASON in fantasy drafts.

TZM
Same here. In fact, let's go ahead and get next year's hype started...

This guy has so much talent. It sucks that NO isn't using him correctly. Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see him playing under Chan Gailey again like in 2012. Spiller/Ivory combo sounds much better than Bilal/Ivory.

Also Tweeted Hightower will take Ingram's entire role; no change to Spiller's role.
This and the constant quotes by Payton that CJ hasn't looked the same since tweaking his knee in preseason has me keeping him on the bench until I see real production.

Rotoworld:

C.J. Spiller rushed three times for two yards and caught all three of his targets for seven yards in the Saints' Week 14 win over the Buccaneers.

You know you’re having a rough year when a journeyman who hasn’t played in the NFL in four years out-touches you 29 to six. This is what rock bottom looks like. Spiller has done nothing to win fantasy owners’ trust this year and should be avoided against Detroit in Week 15.

Dec 13 - 6:13 PM

I just don't understand his utilization. It's never been a problem of talent, it's just health. Now he's healthy and not being used. He is at a minimum a more talented Darren Sproles, I don't understand the lack of touches.

I just don't understand his utilization. It's never been a problem of talent, it's just health. Now he's healthy and not being used. He is at a minimum a more talented Darren Sproles, I don't understand the lack of touches.
Maybe what looked like talent in 2012 was just Chan Gailey working his magic. He's making Bilal look pretty good, too.

His lack of touches has got to be something around not getting the system or a problem with Payton.

When he does touch the ball, he posts decent numbers. I would understand if his numbers, lack of burst, etc., etc. were like a Trent Richardson, but that's clearly not the case. He looks quite okay to me, quite spry, hungry.

Also quite perplexed by the love for Hightower. Why give him 28 carries at his spectacular 3.0 ypc? It's not like they are going into the playoffs or something. Pretty sure Spiller would have gotten more than 85 yards with 28 carries. If you are the Saints, that's certainly something worth testing with Ingram out.

Overall, this team seems to have slowly lost the plot since the glory days. Payton is on his way out - gotta wonder what the new coach brings.

Remember making a good run with him in '12. People throwing the kitchen sink trying to trade for him.

Can't believe what he's fallen to.

Maybe what looked like talent in 2012 was just Chan Gailey working his magic. He's making Bilal look pretty good, too.
I think the talent is there but, much like in Buffalo once Gailey left, he cannot or will not pick up a new system.

Officially droppable in dynasty
This. My only issue is if he gets released and signs somewhere he can become a Sproles type.
He couldn't become a Sproles type on the team that made Sproles
Yup. Spiller will be 29 at the begining of next season. No longer a a 'young guy with potential'. If he cant succeed with this offense and all the injuries to the RB's, hes never going to materialize. Hard to believe with all the talent he showed coming out of Clemson.

I've read that he's not grasping a lot of the offensive game plan. Also pass protection.

Rotoworld:

Saints GM Mickey Loomis is noncommittal on C.J. Spiller's future with the team.

Asked if he still expected Spiller to pan out, Loomis deferred, saying "I can't really answer that today." Spiller was a massive disappointment his first year in New Orleans, touching the ball just 70 times as he battled a chronic knee issue. The cap-strapped Saints can create $3.25 million in space by designating Spiller as a post-June 1 cut. It's a no-brainer move that will likely be made.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

He's done
Not a big fan of Spiller, but this statement is so over-the-top and unsubstantiated that it merits getting explicitly called out.

Spiller will definitely be on a roster somewhere next August. My guess is San Francisco as their pass-catching back.
I think KD meant that that he is done being fantasy relevant.
Yeah. Someone will give him a spot and he'll be a sleeper again next year. But his day in the fantasy spotlight is over.

Ketamine Dreams said:
Chaka said:
Zdravko said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
He's done
Not a big fan of Spiller, but this statement is so over-the-top and unsubstantiated that it merits getting explicitly called out.

Spiller will definitely be on a roster somewhere next August. My guess is San Francisco as their pass-catching back.
Yeah. Someone will give him a spot and he'll be a sleeper again next year. But his day in the fantasy spotlight is over.
Alright, this is obviously less extreme.

Nonetheless, I find it difficult to believe neither of you can see him as a high-volume pass-catching back somewhere. Many folk (both on the boards and people actually getting paid to comment) commented this season that he looked really good when in space and hit big plays at a well above-average rate per touch. So I will give him a good 20% chance at being RB2 in PPR and I am not even buying the "he was injured" excuse.

Ketamine Dreams said:
Chaka said:
Zdravko said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
He's done

Nonetheless, I find it difficult to believe neither of you can see him as a high-volume pass-catching back somewhere. Many folk (both on the boards and people actually getting paid to comment) commented this season that he looked really good when in space and hit big plays at a well above-average rate per touch. So I will give him a good 20% chance at being RB2 in PPR and I am not even buying the "he was injured" excuse.
If a pass catching back can't make it in Sean Payton's system there is legitimate reason for concern.

I strongly doubt he will be on my team next season.

Ketamine Dreams said:
Chaka said:
Zdravko said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
He's done

Regarding the two bolded comments:

He will be a sleeper for me next year so put me down as that someone. He's absolutely a buy low to me.

Regarding looking good last year I would say only when he was asked to mainly run a straight line. I've always thought his two best traits were his speed and lateral ability. I saw his speed last year but next to none of his lateral ability and without that he's not even an average NFL RB. Sean Payton at one point said he was lacking explosiveness. Spiller would say he was healthy all year but now we know differently and that checks what my eyes were telling me when I saw him play.

Next year and his future all boil down to his health. While his surgery was deemed minor by all accounts he never got over it. But it's possible something is just not right with his knee, meaning no guarantee he is healthy and if that's the case he will be done as a fantasy player and close to being done. But I'll take my chances.

In the meantime I'm prepared for the next 9 months to read nothing but posts about how sorry and done he is and I promise this is the last post I'll ever make countering that argument. I hope his stock keeps falling.

Ketamine Dreams said:
Chaka said:
He's done

Regarding the two bolded comments:

He will be a sleeper for me next year so put me down as that someone. He's absolutely a buy low to me.

Regarding looking good last year I would say only when he was asked to mainly run a straight line. I've always thought his two best traits were his speed and lateral ability. I saw his speed last year but next to none of his lateral ability and without that he's not even an average NFL RB. Sean Payton at one point said he was lacking explosiveness. Spiller would say he was healthy all year but now we know differently and that checks what my eyes were telling me when I saw him play.

Next year and his future all boil down to his health. While his surgery was deemed minor by all accounts he never got over it. But it's possible something is just not right with his knee, meaning no guarantee he is healthy and if that's the case he will be done as a fantasy player and close to being done. But I'll take my chances.

In the meantime I'm prepared for the next 9 months to read nothing but posts about how sorry and done he is and I promise this is the last post I'll ever make countering that argument. I hope his stock keeps falling.
Agree he will definitely be on a roster and play a role somewhere. A lot of his 'sleeper' status depends on where he ends up. There are a number of teams with a good "opening" that would make the FF community see low-cost upside: San Francisco, New England, Houston, Indianapolis to name a few. If I can get him for next-for-nothing, I wouldn't hesitate taking the chance.

C.J. Spiller has been a full participant in the Saints' offseason program.
Spiller was supposedly slowed by a knee issue for all of 2015. "Supposedly" because coach Sean Payton — who, admittedly, has never been a paragon of honesty — proclaimed him 100 percent healthy in Week 4. You have to choose which narrative to believe in this instance. Spiller's disastrous 2015 numbers aren't up for debate. He touched the ball only 70 times all season, averaging a pathetic 3.1 yards per carry and anemic 7.0 yards per catch. Going on 29, Spiller still offers theoretical upside, but he's nothing more than a late-round lottery ticket in deeper leagues for fantasy purposes.

Source: Larry Holder on Twitter 
May 26 - 1:50 PM

I have come full circle regarding this guy and not sure what to think of him now.

As a rookie prospect I doubted him because of the boom/bust running style that reminds me of Trung Canidate. I used to always avoid these types of RB.

However the success of Chris Johnson and Jamal Charles who I also consider to be similar to this type of RB forced me to change my mind.

Then Spiller had a really good season, and I thought, well maybe this is how the NFL is now that players like this can thrive. Sign me up for some Spiller!

Then he sucked and reminded me how much I didn't like him as a rookie prospect. However he was really cheap and hey if he can stay healthy we saw what he could do that one year right?

Some of his injuries seemed like really fluky events. For example when he broke his collarbone after a big run against the Vikings. I started picking him up because he seemed like a good value bounce back situation, especially when he signed with the Saints. This is a match made in heaven right?

Then Spiller face plants with NO. Tim Hightower comes off the street and puts up some ok numbers for them.

I pretty much wish I would have kept avoiding him.

Everyone knew last season was a wash for the Saints & Spiller.  With the rookie WR, Michael Thomas & Cook, they should be able to open things up.  We still haven't seen Spiller in a good Breese/Payton offense.  Let's get this train rolling!

I have come full circle regarding this guy and not sure what to think of him now.

As a rookie prospect I doubted him because of the boom/bust running style that reminds me of Trung Canidate. I used to always avoid these types of RB.

However the success of Chris Johnson and Jamal Charles who I also consider to be similar to this type of RB forced me to change my mind.

Then Spiller had a really good season, and I thought, well maybe this is how the NFL is now that players like this can thrive. Sign me up for some Spiller!

Then he sucked and reminded me how much I didn't like him as a rookie prospect. However he was really cheap and hey if he can stay healthy we saw what he could do that one year right?

Some of his injuries seemed like really fluky events. For example when he broke his collarbone after a big run against the Vikings. I started picking him up because he seemed like a good value bounce back situation, especially when he signed with the Saints. This is a match made in heaven right?

Then Spiller face plants with NO. Tim Hightower comes off the street and puts up some ok numbers for them.

I pretty much wish I would have kept avoiding him.
Same here.  I just keep telling myself "never again", hoping it'll sink in before August.

Saints just turned a career average 35 year old TE into a fantasy star and turned a RB who had not played football in 4 seasons into the #2 RB in fantasy football the last 4 weeks of the season.

So yea Spiller has disappointed fantasy owners most of his career but if those guys can do it I believe he can. I've been buying him up all off-season, cheaply of course.

Saints just turned a career average 35 year old TE into a fantasy star and turned a RB who had not played football in 4 seasons into the #2 RB in fantasy football the last 4 weeks of the season.

So yea Spiller has disappointed fantasy owners most of his career but if those guys can do it I believe he can. I've been buying him up all off-season, cheaply of course.
Had to look closely to make sure this post wasn't from last season.

Amazing how for some players, the narrative never changes.

And what was the narrative on Ben Watson and Hightower this time last season. What was the narrative on Mark Ingram just two seasons ago when he was sitting on the waiver wire in most of my leagues?

And what was the narrative on Ben Watson and Hightower this time last season. What was the narrative on Mark Ingram just two seasons ago when he was sitting on the waiver wire in most of my leagues?
The concern I have is:  NO has this knack for taking unheralded guys and getting production out of them.  Watson and Hightower continue a long tradition of guys like Lance Moore and Devery Henderson and Pierre Thomas.

Spiller was put in position to benefit from that and fell flat on his face.  Why would this year be any different from last?  Unlike Watson and Hightower, Spiller didnt just arrive.

Completely different.

I got burned by him a great deal last year because I draft very early. Me flushing a 4th rounder is a completely diffferent scenario than menobrown getting burned by flushing a ~17th rounder.

I will add that I don't think the situation is nearly as ripe as it was last year. The Watson production proves the numbers were there last year for someone, and at least I avoded the Spiller/Hill double disaster. Missed one land-mine stepped on another.

The concern I have is:  NO has this knack for taking unheralded guys and getting production out of them.  Watson and Hightower continue a long tradition of guys like Lance Moore and Devery Henderson and Pierre Thomas.

Spiller was put in position to benefit from that and fell flat on his face.  Why would this year be any different from last?  Unlike Watson and Hightower, Spiller didnt just arrive.
This is the narrative I don't buy. Yes he sucked but training camp knee surgery can do that to people, especially when they are on a new team.

How many years was Ingram on the team before he started to produce? Injuries played a big part in this, injuries play a big part in all football players ability to produce.

So what would be different this year from last? Health. Secondly getting a full training camp to get familiar with the team so they can develop a plan on how to use him.

This is the narrative I don't buy. Yes he sucked but training camp knee surgery can do that to people, especially when they are on a new team.

How many years was Ingram on the team before he started to produce? Injuries played a big part in this, injuries play a big part in all football players ability to produce.

So what would be different this year from last? Health. Secondly getting a full training camp to get familiar with the team so they can develop a plan on how to use him.
The bolded is how most conversations about him start.  I'd rather take the chance of seeing him do well on someone else's roster than waste a spot on my own with false hope. 

Users who are viewing this thread