What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

I think this sort of thing has been touched on upthread, but not really in much detail.

Now that the GOV is again giving out free rapid tests (http://covidtests.gov)If you do turn Positive this fall/winter, your rapid test may tell you more about your status (at the time of testing) than you think!​
How much time X how dark it gets

I wish we could embed tweets -- he's got a handy dandy little chart uploaded.
Interesting. When my wife tested positive it lit up like right away and very dark.

After avoiding Covid for 3.5 years (as far as I know) it finally landed here. Wife tested positive today. I'm negative so far. Not sure about the kids yet. She just got the latest vax on September 29th.
Lmao vax is worthless now

Quite the contrast here, as it were.

I think this sort of thing has been touched on upthread, but not really in much detail.

Now that the GOV is again giving out free rapid tests (http://covidtests.gov)If you do turn Positive this fall/winter, your rapid test may tell you more about your status (at the time of testing) than you think!​
How much time X how dark it gets

I wish we could embed tweets -- he's got a handy dandy little chart uploaded.
Interesting. When my wife tested positive it lit up like right away and very dark.

My wife first tested positive eight days ago (Mon Oct 9), nice and dark and early. A strong positive. I had symptoms starting that same night and didn't test right away since I could work from home for the rest of the week.

I felt truly bad -- with gastro symptoms yet! -- for about a 24-hour period, last Wednesday afternoon through Thursday afternoon. Since then, it's been a slowly declining set of annoying respiratory crud. By last Saturday evening, I felt pretty good ... just with a now-and-then cough.

I tested Sunday morning (Sun Oct 15). Still positive, but a faint line that took a good 10 minutes to start appearing. I tested again the next morning, hoping I'd be able to say I was totally over it. Nope -- the line was fainter yet, but still a confirmable positive.

I tested my wife yesterday afternoon, and her positive test looked just like the first one I gave her -- maybe darker. She seems to be having trouble clearing the virus :( She's not a candidate to be hospitalized or anything ... but she's going to be fighting symptoms for a little while longer.

(And yes, we made an effort to get her Paxlovid. For whatever reason, the urgent care place wouldn't call it in for her, and we don't really have a regular doctor you can just call up and consult with. She has a "regular" doctor, but that doctor can't deal with non-life-threatening pop-up stuff. "Go to urgent care". "Go to the ER". Bleh.)

Out first COVID go-round, with original-flavor Omicron, was not like this. For her, maybe it was (she's had the no-taste symptom both times) but the overall illness back in early January 2022 didn't seem to last as long. This current variant is lingering and seems harder to kick. Of course, being over a year since our last booster hasn't helped (yes, it would have made a difference -- firmly convinced of that).

Last edited:

Eric Topol, from your link:

While there is no major wave of Covid infections at the moment, the number of people who are still getting infected or reinfected each day is substantial. We have no good way to prevent these infections besides non-pharmacological interventions (masks, physical distancing, air ventilation and filtration, etc). Shots provide only moderate (30-40% reduction) and brief (<6-8 weeks) protection from infections. Pandemic fatigue is full blown; the world is doing all possible to move on even though the virus forges ahead on its evolutionary arc, destined to find new ways to infect (and mostly reinfect) more hosts. There are known variants, currently at low levels, that will be more problematic than what we are seeing right now (such as the FLips, recently reviewed) with a new wave likely to be seen in November. Despite our progress with updated XBB.1.5 monovalent vaccines and Paxlovid availability, these infections carry a risk, some of which is unpredictable, for severe Covid and Long Covid.
The big gap in our armamentarium is an easy to administer, durable, potent, variant-proof, safe nasal vaccine that blocks infections and transmission. Even if it was necessary to take it every 3 or 4 months, the protection it would provide would help our exit ramp from Covid concerns, further moving us back towards pre-pandemic life.

Right on, Mr. Topol. Right on.

TL;DR nuggets (links to his sources within the article):
  • comparing this virus’s evolution with other endemic viruses, Kathryn Kisler and Trevor Bedford just published, SARS-CoV-2 is accumulating mutations with amino acid substitutions faster than other endemic viruses, including 2.5 fold more rapidly than influenza (A/H3N2 HA1), the prototype of rapid antigen evolution, and >7-fold faster other coronaviruses
  • the lab data coming out for properties of BA.2.86 and particularly JN.1 are concerning. The Columbia University Ho lab report in Nature this week reinforced others for the very high affinity that BA.2.86 has towards the ACE2 receptor. which could lead to enhanced transmissibility. Yunlong Cao’s group in Peking was the first to characterize the JN.1 variant, and showed a weak neutralizing antibody response (y-axis, NT50) to breakthrough infections (BTI) of XBB
  • We won’t know for a few weeks as to whether JN.1 will be linked with a significant rise in Covid or how well our immune response from prior vaccinations, infection(s) and the XBB.1.5 new booster will keep us protected

We won’t know for a few weeks as to whether JN.1 will be linked with a significant rise in Covid or how well our immune response from prior vaccinations, infection(s) and the XBB.1.5 new booster will keep us protected
It looks like the last several attention-getting variants haven't really done much -- at least not in terms of increasing infirmity and affecting society. All varieties of COVID have spread so well, it doesn't seem like "it spreads more" has as much of an impact as one might expect any more. They all "spread more". It's always "spreading more".

the lab data coming out for properties of BA.2.86 and particularly JN.1 are concerning. The Columbia University Ho lab report in Nature this week reinforced others for the very high affinity that BA.2.86 has towards the ACE2 receptor. which could lead to enhanced transmissibility.
Like the part in red. All COVID has always has "very high affinity" to the ACE2 receptor. So far as I understand it ... that's not a new feature of the virus.

the lab data coming out for properties of BA.2.86 and particularly JN.1 are concerning. The Columbia University Ho lab report in Nature this week reinforced others for the very high affinity that BA.2.86 has towards the ACE2 receptor. which could lead to enhanced transmissibility.
Like the part in red. All COVID has always has "very high affinity" to the ACE2 receptor. So far as I understand it ... that's not a new feature of the virus.
Yes, that is true, but if my understanding is correct, there have been varying degrees of "stickiness" (my word) amongst the different variants. And this one is towards the "stickier" end of the scale.

from within the Ho lab study:
Code:
194 To corroborate these findings, we also evaluated the susceptibility of both BA.2.86 pseudoviruses
195 to neutralization by the dimeric human-ACE2-Fc protein, in comparison to BA.2, XBB.1.5, and
196 EG.5.1. In agreement with the SPR data, both versions of BA.2.86 were >2-fold more sensitive
197 to ACE2 inhibition than XBB.1.5 and EG.5.1, as determined by their IC50 values (Figure 4b). A
198 potential explanation for this heightened affinity may reside in the intrinsic charge properties of
199 the two interacting molecules. The region of human ACE2 targeted by the RBD is negatively
charged, while the Omicron RBD itself is positively charged32 200 . The higher receptor binding
201 affinity of the BA.2.86 spike might be attributed to the additional positive charges associated with
202 mutations V445H, N460K, N481K and A484K (Figure 4c). Only the N460K mutation is shared
203 with the spikes from XBB.1.5 and EG.5.1.

Code:
253 Another scientific implication of our results is that the RBD of BA.2.86 is likely to be more
254 exposed than the RBD of XBB.1.5 or EG.5.1. This conclusion is inferred from the above
255 observation that the new variant is more sensitive than XBB.1.5 or EG.5.1 to neutralization by
256 class 1 and 4/1 mAbs, which target the “inner face” of RBD only when this domain is in the “up”
257 position. Since receptor binding also occurs when the RBD is “up”, this conclusion is in line
258 with the finding that the spike of BA.2.86 has a >2-fold higher affinity for the viral receptor
259 compared to the spike of XBB.1.5 or EG.5.1 (Figures 4a and 4b). In fact, BA.2.86 spike has
260 one of the highest receptor affinities we have measured, together with the spikes of some of the
viruses in the BA.2.75 sublineage
261 but the KD is undoubtedly determined by additional properties
262 including the electrostatic charge of the RBD (Figures 4c).

So is anyone ready to talk about all the damage the MRNA vaccines have done (continue to do)? Should we start a separate thread?

Every other day I find myself speaking to another new person who is either MRNA vax injured or are connected closely to someone who was.

I KNOW I am not the only one. #TImeAndSpace

Had a heartbreaking convo tonight with a fellow dad who hasn't been right since succumbing reluctantly a year plus ago. All kinds of serious health problems since, with none at all prior. No connection, obviously. What a kook, right?!? 😢

Just got my booster - first time getting the Pfizer one. The previous two were Moderna and made me feel like crap for about 12 hours approximately 12-18 hours after getting the shot. By that math, I'll feel like crap tomorrow morning and for most of the day. I have zero issue with the flu shot, but COVID has been awful since the 2nd dose of the 1st go-round.

My small glimmer of hope is that the tech who gave me the shot said she felt bad too with the Moderna version but felt a lot better with the Pfizer one, so maybe I'll be the same.

Just got my booster - first time getting the Pfizer one. The previous two were Moderna and made me feel like crap for about 12 hours approximately 12-18 hours after getting the shot. By that math, I'll feel like crap tomorrow morning and for most of the day. I have zero issue with the flu shot, but COVID has been awful since the 2nd dose of the 1st go-round.

My small glimmer of hope is that the tech who gave me the shot said she felt bad too with the Moderna version but felt a lot better with the Pfizer one, so maybe I'll be the same.
I don't know about the fall 2023 (current) boosters, but I know that the 2021 Moderna shots were triple the dosage of the Pfizer ones. Some researchers felt like this caused more reports of side effects from the Moderna vaccine than the others.

I believe that Moderna halved the size of their doses for their 2022 bivalent boosters (still bigger than Pfizer, though). I'm sure it's discussed in this thread somewhere way back.

i got my 2nd ever flu shot and booster 2 weeks ago.
They made it pretty simple:
I got a text saying that I was eligible for the 2 shots with a link for pharmacy's around me to book online.
The pharmacy was 2 blocks away so went for lunch on the day of the appointment and it took 45 minutes out of my day.

My 1st flu shot was last year. The only reason I got it was because I was shopping at superstore and the announced free flu shots were available in 5 mins. I was 20 steps away, so had it done right away.
Never considered getting it before .
It is either my 2nd or 3rd booster since the 1st 2.

I got a text saying that I was eligible for the 2 shots with a link for pharmacy's around me to book online.
The pharmacy was 2 blocks away so went for lunch on the day of the appointment and it took 45 minutes out of my day.

My 1st flu shot was last year. The only reason I got it was because I was shopping at superstore and the announced free flu shots were available in 5 mins. I was 20 steps away, so had it done right away.

How did you feel the next few days?

I have not received my flu or covid shot yet this year. Was thinking of doing it after xmas and before I go to this big conference at the end of January. My wife, who received all covid shots up to last September says she isn't getting one this year, and doesn't want the kids (or me) to get the shot either.

She is thinking she built up immunity now anyway and when we have had covid in the house, it wasn't too bad. My one son only got the initial shot, and then got covid, so the doctor said that was effectively the booster. My other son got two shots. We did have a family member die from complications related to the vaccine so that is on her mind -- she actually cried when she got her booster last year because the aunt was already essentially braindead. Then we got covid at the funeral a month later . . . . .

How did you feel the next few days?
I had no side effects for any of the covid shots up to these 2 shots.
This time my arm was a little sore for a day or two. Nothing major, just a little sore

Scientists have discovered a gene variant, HLA-B*15:01, linked to asymptomatic COVID-19 cases, opening potential avenues for new treatments and vaccines.

I don't know about the fall 2023 (current) boosters, but I know that the 2021 Moderna shots were triple the dosage of the Pfizer ones. Some researchers felt like this caused more reports of side effects from the Moderna vaccine than the others.

I believe that Moderna halved the size of their doses for their 2022 bivalent boosters (still bigger than Pfizer, though). I'm sure it's discussed in this thread somewhere way back.
My lady just got hers on Monday and she was down for 24 hours with headaches, chills and just feeling crappy.

My lady just got hers on Monday and she was down for 24 hours with headaches, chills and just feeling crappy.

I'm 48 hours post-shot and I feel fine. I felt a little spacey the night of, but no headache or anything even close. My arm hurt a lot less too. With my previous issues it was 18-24 hours after the shot, so I think I'm in the clear. Don't know if I can attribute it to the Pfizer vaccine vs. my previous Moderna, or if it's just the evolution of it all, but it's a relief to not feel ike garbage.

Fascinating chart here. Study looked at excess deaths by age and by quarter. Everything essentially turns instagreen when Omicron hit. COVID nerfed itself.

I think you also have to consider the cumulative immunity due to vaccination/prior infection. Restated, I don’t think the decrease in excess deaths is purely a function of a less deadly virus.

Also of note, the highest excess mortality was seen in the 45-54 old age group - squarely in the FBG demographic.

Lastly, not sure I’d trust anything from zerohedge.

Fascinating chart here. Study looked at excess deaths by age and by quarter. Everything essentially turns instagreen when Omicron hit. COVID nerfed itself.

I think you also have to consider the cumulative immunity due to vaccination/prior infection. Restated, I don’t think the decrease in excess deaths is purely a function of a less deadly virus.

Also of note, the highest excess mortality was seen in the 45-54 old age group - squarely in the FBG demographic.

Lastly, not sure I’d trust anything from zerohedge.
The chart isn't from zero hedge. That's why I just included the picture.

Is that waning immunity we’re seeing in the most recent quarter?

No -- that rightmost column is an aggregate percentage for the entire time period of the graphic -- April 2020 through June 2023.

Sand -- from where is that graph sourced? Can't tell by the link posted.

No -- that rightmost column is an aggregate percentage for the entire time period of the graphic -- April 2020 through June 2023.

oh shoot, I misread and thought it said April 2023.

Bout that time again

JUST IN—A new "mystery pneumonia" is tearing through China's schools. Hospitals are reportedly overwhelmed in Beijing and Liaoning with sick children and many classes are already cancelled.

Symptoms include inflammation in the lungs and a high fever but without a cough or other symptoms that normally come with respiratory illnesses.

The alert came Tuesday via ProMed, a global surveillance system that monitors outbreaks, and it was a ProMed in December of 2019 that first alerted the world to a virus outbreak in China that would later be called COVID.

Bout that time again

JUST IN—A new "mystery pneumonia" is tearing through China's schools. Hospitals are reportedly overwhelmed in Beijing and Liaoning with sick children and many classes are already cancelled.

Symptoms include inflammation in the lungs and a high fever but without a cough or other symptoms that normally come with respiratory illnesses.

The alert came Tuesday via ProMed, a global surveillance system that monitors outbreaks, and it was a ProMed in December of 2019 that first alerted the world to a virus outbreak in China that would later be called COVID.

Hey, screw you buddy and your thread!

Bout that time again

Hey, screw you buddy and your thread!
Hey, pal don’t call me buddy!

Looks to be Table 5.9.

Bout that time again

Might be here.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/dc-area-...ts-global-concern-respiratory-illnesses-grows

Bout that time again

Pfft. Do you know how many people are trampled to death by hippos each year?

Users who are viewing this thread