What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Fatballguys v.6 Weight Loss Jamboree*** (1 Viewer)

Cold Dead Hands

Footballguy
I'll start us off fresh.

Height: 6'

Weight: 211

Goal weight: 195

MyFitnessPal ID: ColdDeadHands

Last edited by a moderator:
What is "Fitness Pal" :unsure:

Height: 6' 5"

Weight: 278

Goal Weight: 230

No fitness pal ID :kicksrock:

Oh, and after workout this AM....I can't lift my hands above my head.

Dude, it's just getting frigid cold and we're approaching holiday season. I suggest you reevaluate the timing of this thread.

Dude, it's just getting frigid cold and we're approaching holiday season. I suggest you reevaluate the timing of this thread.
I always laugh at the whole idea of starting a diet after New Years when its freezing out and you're stuffed in a packed gym with a whole bunch of overweight people also starting their new diet. Shocking that most people fail. Start a new diet at the start of spring when you can get outside during much longer and warmer days and do some hiking or running or biking or whatever that doesn't involve you being trapped in a hot, cramped, smelly room. A 3 month spring diet would be ideal.

Get ahead of the game and you won't struggle as much come January. As a general rule I advise my clients to not get discouraged if they don't make progress during this 6 week stretch but with proper planning you can at least maintain and get to January several steps ahead of most others. I eat like #### this time of year like everyone else, but I also make sure not to skip ANY of my workouts either. Running a 5k Thanksgiving morning, looking at a couple of other early December too. Workout in the morning, endulge without guilt later.

*** Official Fatballguys 2.0VI Weight Loss Jamboree***

fixed

6ft

221 lbs*

goal 189

no id.

* I started in June and have lost 26 lbs already through WeightWatchers. 6 to go though I'd really like to hit 185 or even 180 by next spring. I do anticipate the next 6 weeks to be tough as someone said. That said, I started rigorously walking, at least 1 hr per day. Forced 15 minutes from train station to office in morning and again in evening. 1/2 hour minimum over my lunch hour. Plus try to walk the dog in the evening. This has really helped. Hope we have another mild winter in the NE.

Why do people always use "This time of year" as some sort of excuse to fall apart?

How long is "This time of year" anyways? November 1st through January 4th? That's 65 days.

Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve & New Years Day. That's 5 days.

Why do those five days mean that you simply have to ruin the remaining 60 days?

Let's be fair and add another 14 days for the Office/Holiday parties excuse and the Thanksgiving leftovers excuse. That makes 19 days...let's be generous and call it 25 "bad days" out of 65. Are the gyms closed during the remaining 40 days, or on any of the "bad days"? Are you obligated to eat poorly and drink to excess on all 40 of those days (or the 25 days for that matter)?

My only point is that it is a terribly crippling mindset to fall into.

There is no best day or time of the year to start doing the things that will make you healthy. And there is no time of the year that you should simply give up on your health.

ETA: My weight fluctuates and I go through down times like anyone else I just don't view "This time of year" as a free ride.

Had a nice Dead cat bounce (I was in the stock thread) since August. Went as low as 204 (5 Freaking pounds from GOAL) and bounced up to 221. Started back on the wagon right after Thanksgiving. Down to 216. Still working on getting my eating under control. Damn I like food.

Height 5'11

Weight 216

Starting Weight 267

Goal Weight 199

Fitnesspal ID : Hatedabears

Why do people always use "This time of year" as some sort of excuse to fall apart?
Not so much an excuse as it is an unavoidable change in surroundings, options, and temptations. Indulgences that I choose to partake in (extra drinking, cigars with dad/brother/my run through Napa last week/etc.)Holidays for me mean a lot of travel, a lot of entertaining for business, a lot of extra socializing with friends, guests in our home.

I see this idea is a pet peeve of yours.... but your feigned inability to understand the factors in play "this time of year" seems a little disingenuous.

I've managed to hold on to my gains (loss) for the year, but it is WAY harder once Halloween hits.

Had a nice Dead cat bounce (I was in the stock thread) since August. Went as low as 204 (5 Freaking pounds from GOAL) and bounced up to 221. Started back on the wagon right after Thanksgiving. Down to 216. Still working on getting my eating under control. Damn I like food. Height 5'11Weight 216Starting Weight 267Goal Weight 199Fitnesspal ID : Hatedabears
Damn man, didnt you win last year's competition?

Had a nice Dead cat bounce (I was in the stock thread) since August. Went as low as 204 (5 Freaking pounds from GOAL) and bounced up to 221. Started back on the wagon right after Thanksgiving. Down to 216. Still working on getting my eating under control. Damn I like food. Height 5'11Weight 216Starting Weight 267Goal Weight 199Fitnesspal ID : Hatedabears
Damn man, didnt you win last year's competition?
I have had a great run so far. Down from 267.....but if I do not hit goal or bloat back up then all is for nothing. Not sure who won what. To win this one I am going to need to kick some really serious ###. Time to shoot for Junior High weight :)

Not so much an excuse as it is an unavoidable change in surroundings, options, and temptations. Indulgences that I choose to partake in (extra drinking, cigars with dad/brother/my run through Napa last week/etc.)Holidays for me mean a lot of travel, a lot of entertaining for business, a lot of extra socializing with friends, guests in our home.

I see this idea is a pet peeve of yours.... but your feigned inability to understand the factors in play "this time of year" seems a little disingenuous.

I've managed to hold on to my gains (loss) for the year, but it is WAY harder once Halloween hits.
It is not hard if you don't let it be hard. Busier time of year, doesn't mean cutting out exercise is the solution.

It is not hard if you don't let it be hard. Busier time of year, doesn't mean cutting out exercise is the solution.
Didn't say it was hard... I said it was harder. This isn't really arguable for my situation, of course every situation is different (was never an issue prior to family and career advancement). I don't think I ever suggested cutting out exercise was a solution.

It is not hard if you don't let it be hard........... :rolleyes: IF it was easy we would all be skinny. Exercise is not even remotely the problem. My problem is eating. No one tries to stuff Turkey down my face in MArch. Halloween is full of Candy. Christmas is brutal with family parties, work parties, friends parties. Blah blah blah. New Years=Booze.

This time of year might not be "Harder" But it is much more challenging. I wish I had your will power... This is EZ because i say it is

Intrigued. 2 years ago I hit it hard the day after Thanksgiving and went from 240 down to 212. Still enjoyed Christmas dinner and the occasional sweet but didn't make it a month+ long feedbag-athon. I'm probably 214 now (6'1"). I would love to get under 200lbs. Problem is right now I'm strictly in maintenance mode. Getting very routine at the gym, still doing cardio but not wanting to hit the weights to hard or do the types of workouts I was doing (high intensity, lots of legs, muscle confusion with a lot of variety) when I got in shape initially. Have some big trips planned in March, so I know I'll hit it hard for 2 months after the 1st. But I really should start now and go from maintenance to loss mode.

Since January, I'm down almost exactly 20 - hoping to lose the last 20-25 in 2013.

Start weight Jan 2012: 218.6

Current weight Dec 2012: 199.0

Goal weight: 175.0

5'10", 31 y/o

What is "Fitness Pal" :unsure:Height: 6' 5"Weight: 278Goal Weight: 230No fitness pal ID :kicksrock:Oh, and after workout this AM....I can't lift my hands above my head.
I got down to 270 and am holding steady for time being. A combo of flu that ran through the family and my lack of will power for some sweets here in the house at Christmas have stalled me. I'm back on my feet and have learned quickly how different I feel when I work out vs when I don't. Once my wife is back on her feet, I'm back at the gym 6 days a week.

What is "Fitness Pal" :unsure:Height: 6' 5"Weight: 278Goal Weight: 230No fitness pal ID :kicksrock:Oh, and after workout this AM....I can't lift my hands above my head.
I got down to 270 and am holding steady for time being. A combo of flu that ran through the family and my lack of will power for some sweets here in the house at Christmas have stalled me. I'm back on my feet and have learned quickly how different I feel when I work out vs when I don't. Once my wife is back on her feet, I'm back at the gym 6 days a week.
Keep at it. There are times you will fall off the wagon. We all have. You just have to keep going.

It is not hard if you don't let it be hard........... :rolleyes: IF it was easy we would all be skinny. Exercise is not even remotely the problem. My problem is eating. No one tries to stuff Turkey down my face in MArch. Halloween is full of Candy. Christmas is brutal with family parties, work parties, friends parties. Blah blah blah. New Years=Booze.

This time of year might not be "Harder" But it is much more challenging. I wish I had your will power... This is EZ because i say it is
I gave up all sweets until February not just because it will benefit me greatly in losing weight, but because sweets are my greatest weakness. I cut them out during the holidays because it is the hardest time of the year to avoid sweets. I am an all or nothing guy, and this test of wills is the motivation I need to get past all of this... I set my end date as Super Bowl sunday. After that I will strictly limit my sweets, maybe by then I won't crave them anymore.

Oh I get it. What I have trouble with is the notion that everyday between November and early January should be conceded along with those days where we deservedly indulge. Believe me, I have been eating more since Thanksgiving and certainly drinking more, but I also have missed only two workouts. And, while my caloric intake has increased (most likely due to increased red wine intake), the overwhelming majority of my food choices on the non party days (and even on the party days) are still of the very healthy variety.I just think we can do better and "this time of year" is not an excuse to let everything go to heck.

Another reason I don't like that attitude is because the downstream effect is that it makes the gym almost impossible to bear during January and early February.

Keep at it. There are times you will fall off the wagon. We all have. You just have to keep going.
I've learned a valuable lesson already...that is, I need to exercise. Whether I lose another pound or not, I need to be active. That 45 minutes a day does a lot for me.

Oh I get it. What I have trouble with is the notion that everyday between November and early January should be conceded along with those days where we deservedly indulge. Believe me, I have been eating more since Thanksgiving and certainly drinking more, but I also have missed only two workouts. And, while my caloric intake has increased (most likely due to increased red wine intake), the overwhelming majority of my food choices on the non party days (and even on the party days) are still of the very healthy variety.I just think we can do better and "this time of year" is not an excuse to let everything go to heck.

Another reason I don't like that attitude is because the downstream effect is that it makes the gym almost impossible to bear during January and early February.
:thumbup:

I wish I had your will power
I have zero will power, wrote much earlier that I eat like #### this time of year. I make sure not to miss a workout though, ever. Exercise 6x week this time of year and you won't gain. You won't lose if you eat/drink terribly, but you won't regress either. Find an hour in your day to do good for your body so you can spend the other 15 hours doing lousy things to it.Weight myself every year the day before Thanksgiving and take my body fat measurement too. Re-evaluate twice during the holidays with the goal being on January 2 I am the same as I was the day before Thanksgiving. Clean up diet, keep exercising, and will be in good shape by the time summer rolls around...

I gave up all sweets until February not just because it will benefit me greatly in losing weight, but because sweets are my greatest weakness. I cut them out during the holidays because it is the hardest time of the year to avoid sweets. I am an all or nothing guy, and this test of wills is the motivation I need to get past all of this... I set my end date as Super Bowl sunday. After that I will strictly limit my sweets, maybe by then I won't crave them anymore.

Sweets are my downfall. I eat one sweet and then I will eat all sweets, potato chips, sandwiches, steaks and even more sweets all within a two mile radius. So you are cutting out Pie, cake, candy, bad sweet stuff until super bowl. You are the man. I will ponder this over a candy bar and let you know if i will join you in this challenge.

Sweets are my downfall. I eat one sweet and then I will eat all sweets, potato chips, sandwiches, steaks and even more sweets all within a two mile radius. So you are cutting out Pie, cake, candy, bad sweet stuff until super bowl. You are the man. I will ponder this over a candy bar and let you know if i will join you in this challenge.
Yes, and the day I decided this my wife returned home with two boxes of Christmas cookies and made a banana cream pie. She was then mad at me when I refused even a taste. I think my wife may secretly want me fat or just hates me.

I wish I had your will power
I have zero will power, wrote much earlier that I eat like #### this time of year. I make sure not to miss a workout though, ever. Exercise 6x week this time of year and you won't gain. You won't lose if you eat/drink terribly, but you won't regress either. Find an hour in your day to do good for your body so you can spend the other 15 hours doing lousy things to it.Weight myself every year the day before Thanksgiving and take my body fat measurement too. Re-evaluate twice during the holidays with the goal being on January 2 I am the same as I was the day before Thanksgiving. Clean up diet, keep exercising, and will be in good shape by the time summer rolls around...
Takes will power to go to the gym six times a week. Give yourself credit you have will power. Gained 17 pounds from August until Thanksgiving. Freaked me out how easily the weight went back on. First my diet went to crap but my workouts were still OK. Then i quit doing my workouts and kept eating like crap. Very bad combination. I am glad i caught it when I did. Working out again, eating good and hoping to keep the losing trend throughout Christmas. Sounds like a great plan you have. Keep it up :thumbup:

Start Weight: 211

Current weight: 209 (Tuesday was weigh-in for me)

Still have not had any sweets, but I also have not yet started excercising.

Start Weight: 211

Current weight: 208 (Tuesday was weigh-in for me)

Still have not had any sweets, but I also have not yet started excercising.

So I made it through the holidays. Not only did I not gain weight, but I lost one pound. Pretty happy. Should probably start working out now.

Height: 5'8"

Starting Weight: 215.5

Goal Weight: 175 lbs

Primal Blueprint starting today. Not looking forward to the carb flu the next few days but I know this will be effective.

At 269 after the holidays. Went to the gym this AM and I'm pretty sure I'm staying the hell away for the next couple weeks. It was a living train wreck. I'm not a morning person, and I'm afraid I'm gonna punch one of these dopes if I have a particularly bad morning.

Users who are viewing this thread