What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Green Bay Packers Draft Thread**** (1 Viewer)

Mario Kart

Footballguy
Because there was no link in the pinned thread so now there should be one. With the 24th pick the Green Bay Packers select:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackson is a definite possibility but they better be wary of the Raiders not sneakingup in front of them for the same.I think Jackson will begin to become a hot commodity once the draft hits the 20th pick or so.

Bob McGinn (The best Packers writer in the country) is suggesting Brondey Pool S, Oklahoma. I suspect that is a very strong possiblility. I am still holding out hope for Dan Cody DE, Oklahoma and address saftey later. If they traded down with Philly for two 2nd round picks I would like that as well. My super darkhorse is an OT, Barnes or Barron if he falls.

This draft seems like a big mystery right now, I think they will end up with DT Travis Johnson, FSU.

I would not mind seeing James but also think Safety is a bigger issue. I also would like them to look at Sparks (CB - Wis) in the 2nd at the earliest and 3rd at the latest.

The way most mocks have it going, GB can take Shazor in the 2nd.Would it be a good idea to have both Jackson and Shazor? In some ways I see a benefit to taking both a CB and S (although he might convert to OLB) from the same college program, they're familiar with each other and can help each other through the learning process.

The way most mocks have it going, GB can take Shazor in the 2nd.

Would it be a good idea to have both Jackson and Shazor? In some ways I see a benefit to taking both a CB and S (although he might convert to OLB) from the same college program, they're familiar with each other and can help each other through the learning process.
I find it highly unlikely they go CB in 1st round. I think they go best DL prospect and address saftey in Round 2.

The way most mocks have it going, GB can take Shazor in the 2nd.

Would it be a good idea to have both Jackson and Shazor? In some ways I see a benefit to taking both a CB and S (although he might convert to OLB) from the same college program, they're familiar with each other and can help each other through the learning process.
Interesting because you dont see this happen much. I wonder if it should be done more since they are familiar with each other like you said. Then again, how often does a team need two of one position on one side of the ball that would most likely be able to draft the tandem 1/2? I dont think many teams usually go Def/Def or Off/Off and expect to get 1.5 starters out of those two players. I like the thought but even this instance is rare more then it is the norm. I like the idea of taking a home town boy because the followers of the Pack normally follow the Badgers so we would be familiar with him. I.E... Troy Vincent instead of T-Buck type of thing.

I think they wll address their d-line. They seem to like Roth and I believe they brought him in for a follow up interview. Either of the Codys and James, if he falls, are other possibilities. The only other position I see them address with their 1st is LB.

I've definitely seen a lot of mocks suggesting that they take Shazor in Round 2. I'd also like to see best available DL in RD1, then S in RD2, then perhaps look QB at the other 2nd rounder.

I'd love to see Pollack fall to the Packers at 24, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think Marlin Jackson is going to be the guy they end up taking.

Does anyone think its possible that Green Bay could trade down into the second round with a team looking to draft Rogers? Cleveland seems like a good candidate for this, but I would think Cleveland would want to save all the draft picks they can.

they better not take Rodgers.They need to replace O-line departures and/or secondary.

This could be a good pick. Obviously he has some skills and being humbled today will only make him hungrier.

I don't have a problem with this pick if ... if ... Thompson now finds tremendous defensive value the rest of the draft -- particularly in the second and third rounds. I agree with Kiper that when you look at the defensive players on the board there may not be much of a difference between the guys there now and some of the guys who will be there in the second round (and remember the Packers have an extra second-round pick so they have some manueverability there), so taking a player they believe was the best value on the board makes sense. Keep in mind there were plenty of folks who thought Rogers might end up going No. 1, so if he really can be that good in time to get him at No. 24 is nothing short of a steal.

I said a week or so ago it wouldn't surprise me to see the Packers take a QB or a RB on the first day, so I'm not surprised to see this. But obviously the Packers' glaring defensive issues remain. Thompson has plenty of work to do now, that's for sure.

is this where the Vikings fans mock us?
Don't forget the Bear fans :bag: :bag: :bag:

How ####### stupid was this pick????????????????????

Wait, maybe a punter is on the horizon for one of our 2nd rounders

I don't have a problem with this pick if ... if ... Thompson now finds tremendous defensive value the rest of the draft -- particularly in the second and third rounds. I agree with Kiper that when you look at the defensive players on the board there may not be much of a difference between the guys there now and some of the guys who will be there in the second round (and remember the Packers have an extra second-round pick so they have some manueverability there), so taking a player they believe was the best value on the board makes sense. Keep in mind there were plenty of folks who thought Rogers might end up going No. 1, so if he really can be that good in time to get him at No. 24 is nothing short of a steal.

I said a week or so ago it wouldn't surprise me to see the Packers take a QB or a RB on the first day, so I'm not surprised to see this. But obviously the Packers' glaring defensive issues remain. Thompson has plenty of work to do now, that's for sure.
You can't blame them, either way. We're talking about a kid that a week ago was supposed to go #1. They got him at #24. They don't have immediate needs at QB, but if you can take one of the best and give him a year, and only spend a #24 pick, you have to do it.

I think this is a nice pick. They can groom him along the lines of McNair without pressure.Does it help them this year? Probably not. But being in a position to take a potential franchise quarterback at #24 while Favre is still playing is a special opportunity. Do you remember the dark days before Favre???

As a Lions fans all I can say is :thumbup: I don't like Rodgers and think that this pick will not pan out for the Cheeseheads...

I'm just glad it's not us...
Yep, the Lions did the same thing. Drafted a spot they had no need, simply because of the value that was there.

Bye bye BrettThis obviously shows him they aren't concerned with winning in the near future. Might as well trade him and give him a chance to win another title.This will all be null and void of course if Rodgers is actually a closet DE.Stupid asses

Bye bye Brett

This obviously shows him they aren't concerned with winning in the near future. Might as well trade him and give him a chance to win another title.

This will all be null and void of course if Rodgers is actually a closet DE.

Stupid asses
Your anger is actually making you stupid.

As a Lions fans all I can say is :thumbup: I don't like Rodgers and think that this pick will not pan out for the Cheeseheads...

I'm just glad it's not us...
Yep, the Lions did the same thing. Drafted a spot they had no need, simply because of the value that was there.
The difference is that our pick will see the field and produce this year, yours may never. Look, after reading the thread, many Packers fans obviously agree with me. No hard feelings, I just think Rodgers will not translate well to the NFL.

Bye bye Brett

This obviously shows him they aren't concerned with winning in the near future. Might as well trade him and give him a chance to win another title.

Stupid asses
What was stupid about that statement? :confused:

I think this is a nice pick. They can groom him along the lines of McNair without pressure.

Does it help them this year? Probably not. But being in a position to take a potential franchise quarterback at #24 while Favre is still playing is a special opportunity. Do you remember the dark days before Favre???
Absolutely. And as the Dolphins, Broncos and Cowboys (and the 49ers to a lesser extent) can attest, replacing a Hall of Fame QB isn't easy. I don't know if Rogers is going to be the answer when Favre retires. Obviously nobody does. But if you have a player at any position who is viewed as potentially being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft it's pretty hard to argue with a team getting him at 24. Rogers has a lot of work to do to become an NFL QB but the good news here is he'll have at least one year and possibly more to get in the work he needs. And again he's going to a system that is very QB friendly which should help him.Again, this is just one pick. Yes it's the first-round pick and more is expected of that guy, but this is just the start of the draft. Thompson still has time to address the team's defensive issues but obviously he needs to do so going forward.

Bye bye Brett

Stupid asses
1. "Bye bye Brett"2. They are absolutely concerned about winning. We're still talking about drafting rookies here. They decided the value provided at #24 was compelling enough to drop a spot or two on their needs boards. It's not like they don't get to pick again.

3. Can you let them at least make 2 picks before throwing in the ####### towel?

Bye bye Brett

Stupid asses
Everything you said.Sorry.

Bye bye Brett

Stupid asses
1. "Bye bye Brett"2. They are absolutely concerned about winning. We're still talking about drafting rookies here. They decided the value provided at #24 was compelling enough to drop a spot or two on their needs boards. It's not like they don't get to pick again.

1. Maybe, I'll give you that.2. I don't think they are that concerned with winning THIS year. If they were, they would have drafted to help themselves. Like I said unless Rodgers is a closet DE, they didn't help themselves AT ALL.

3. I'm trying, I really am. I am hoping they trade Rodgers, but I doubt it. I'm not happy. I think my head is going to explode.

:hot: :loco:

If you had told me before the draft that Green Bay would draft a QB in the 1st, I would have been pretty upset, but I think this about the only scenario where I am ok with it. As badly as Green Bay needs defense, I don't think that there was any defensive player available that had a lot of value at that point, and Rogers clearly represented the best value. I would have liked them to try to trade down and pickup an extra pick, but I can't really fault the Packers for their decision.

2. I don't think they are that concerned with winning THIS year. If they were, they would have drafted to help themselves. Like I said unless Rodgers is a closet DE, they didn't help themselves AT ALL.
I wasn't aware the Packers only had one pick in this year's draft.

Bye bye Brett

Stupid asses

1. Maybe, I'll give you that.2. I don't think they are that concerned with winning THIS year. If they were, they would have drafted to help themselves. Like I said unless Rodgers is a closet DE, they didn't help themselves AT ALL.

3. I'm trying, I really am. I am hoping they trade Rodgers, but I doubt it. I'm not happy. I think my head is going to explode.

:hot: :loco:
Um who do you expect to attempt to fill Favre's shoes next year. I think there is really little drop off form the D talent available now, and in the second row.Relax. We def. needed a QB, none of the QBs we have are going to be starting caliber QBs in the NFL IMO.

I was in the camp pre-draft that the Packers should go D - D - D with their first three picks, but after Rodgers fell out of the top ten I just resigned myself that the Packers were going to be the team that would draft him.The reality is that by drafting anyone but a defensive player is going against giving Brett Favre a chance at getting back to the Superbowl. The chances of them contending for the NFC North crown were very slim in my opinion either way due to the fact that the Vikings improved their defense ten-fold, so getting the QB isn't as devestating to me.This is the big test for Ted Thompson though. They brought him in to make this decision and for Packers fans sake he better be at least a better QB than Jason Campbell. What I like about Rodgers is that, despite this humbling experience, he is a very confident bordering on cocky guy.In the short term it hurts Favre, but in the long term it may be exactly what saves the franchise from becoming the Lions or Bears.LAUNCH

Would it be asking too much to at least let Thompson make the rest of his picks -- especially his next three today - before we all start writing eulogies on how the Packers are going to suck and how they can't win the Super Bowl and on and on and on? I realize they have massive defensive issues to address and I realize that, on paper, the Vikings in particular have addressed theirs (though honestly if they think Darren Sharper is still a Pro Bowler they're going to be in for a very rude awakening), but this draft isn't over by a long shot. It's one pick. Yes it's the first-rounder and that is the marquee pick, but Packer fans of all people should know by now how much value can be found after the first round. Wolf was a master at it and even Sherman managed to find some players there as well. Hell if Thompson really is a Wolf disciple it probably wouldn't matter who he took in the first round cuz the guy would probably stink. :P The draft is far from over for the Packers. They have two second-round picks and one in the third. To think the talent is suddenly gone from this draft and the Packers are sunk is ludicrous. Yes taking Rogers is a pick for the future, but if Thompson can do his job from here on out the Packers can still come out ahead this season as well. I'd at least like to see what he does before putting him and the team six feet under after only one pick.

Hey, in 1992 we traded our 1st round pick for a guy who was a 2nd round pick the previous season and did nothing notable except miss the team picture. That turned out okay.Aaron Rodgers may be a bust, but the risk/reward ratio is so strong that you have to take a shot at him. It may take several more shots to find a guy near the level of Favre. Just to remind you, these are some of the QBs that started before Favre.Blair Kiel Don Majkowski Mike Tomczak Anthony Dilweg Randy Wright Vince Ferragamo Chuck Fusina Jim Zorn Lynn Dickey (the best of this list)Rich Campbell David Whitehurst

If you had told me before the draft that Green Bay would draft a QB in the 1st, I would have been pretty upset, but I think this about the only scenario where I am ok with it. As badly as Green Bay needs defense, I don't think that there was any defensive player available that had a lot of value at that point, and Rogers clearly represented the best value. I would have liked them to try to trade down and pickup an extra pick, but I can't really fault the Packers for their decision.
I agree with this, and still think MrPack is a #######

Would it be asking too much to at least let Thompson make the rest of his picks -- especially his next three today - before we all start writing eulogies on how the Packers are going to suck and how they can't win the Super Bowl and on and on and on?

I realize they have massive defensive issues to address and I realize that, on paper, the Vikings in particular have addressed theirs (though honestly if they think Darren Sharper is still a Pro Bowler they're going to be in for a very rude awakening), but this draft isn't over by a long shot. It's one pick. Yes it's the first-rounder and that is the marquee pick, but Packer fans of all people should know by now how much value can be found after the first round. Wolf was a master at it and even Sherman managed to find some players there as well. Hell if Thompson really is a Wolf disciple it probably wouldn't matter who he took in the first round cuz the guy would probably stink. :P

The draft is far from over for the Packers. They have two second-round picks and one in the third. To think the talent is suddenly gone from this draft and the Packers are sunk is ludicrous. Yes taking Rogers is a pick for the future, but if Thompson can do his job from here on out the Packers can still come out ahead this season as well.

I'd at least like to see what he does before putting him and the team six feet under after only one pick.
:goodposting: This is definately not the end of the world. I never would have thought that Rodgers would slip this far. While I did think they needed to address the defense on day 1, I don't see how they could have passed this pick up.

Lets see what happens the rest of this evening.

Just to remind you, these are some of the QBs that started before Favre.

Blair Kiel

Don Majkowski

Mike Tomczak

Anthony Dilweg

Randy Wright

Vince Ferragamo

Chuck Fusina

Jim Zorn

Lynn Dickey (the best of this list)

Rich Campbell

David Whitehurst
Eeeew...don't remind us ;)