What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vikings 2016 Season Thread (2 Viewers)

Souhan wrote an article about the new stadium being unattractive. He's right. It's awesome but not interesting or noble at all.

I hadn't given it much thought because the newness was cool. But I work in the new Wells Fargo buildings next door and now that I have walked around it a bit I find it really sterile and kind of boring.

I'm sure inside it's another story. 

Andy Dufresne said:
Souhan wrote an article about the new stadium being unattractive. He's right. It's awesome but not interesting or noble at all.

I hadn't given it much thought because the newness was cool. But I work in the new Wells Fargo buildings next door and now that I have walked around it a bit I find it really sterile and kind of boring.

I'm sure inside it's another story. 
Couldn't disagree more. It's tremendous. But I like modern architecture and dislike ornamentation and superfluous details. 

It looks like a sculpture.  

Couldn't disagree more. It's tremendous. But I like modern architecture and dislike ornamentation and superfluous details. 

It looks like a sculpture.  
In that case, it's certainly the building for you.

I guess I'm more of a classic colosseum type so I'm not excited about it.

I was re-watching on NFL Network the re-broadcast of the Combine and Deion and Mayock were going over some DB's and yes I know you have to take stuff that is said with a grain of salt, but there was mention that Zimmer loves Mile Killebrew of Southern Utah.  He seems like an in-the-box type of Safety, a thumper who needs some work.  He's projected as a 4th round pick and I've often mentioned that we do need an upgrade at the Safety position, even after we re-signed Sendejo and signed Michael Griffin, so lets see if we can get this dude.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/miles-killebrew?id=2555315

The thing about Killebrew is that he would be more of a SS/LB role like Deone Bucannon as Lance Zierlein points out in his description. A player who could be used in 3 safety sets where one of the safeties has more of a LB role.

To bring 3 safeties on the field still leaves a hole at the safety position next to Smith unless you could have Munnerlin play there (maybe?) as Killebrew (or Cash or many of the SS prospects who that because of their limitations in coverage). I do know ZImmer likes to use a 3 safety personnel group at times but they mostly played 3 corners and 2 safeties and if you flip that to 3 safeties and 2 corners that takes Munnerlin off the field.

If the Vikings could upgrade the safety position with a player who can handle a deep coverage role (not Killebrew) I think that frees up Smith to be able to play in the box more, which he has shown capable of doing. If the player can handle being single high and has the sideline to sideline range similar to Smith, then even if the guy isn't that great in run support, Smith is, so you can do some more things I think than you can with Sendejo, who I dont think the defense can count on in coverage like that. 

Certainly a good player to consider who would contibute on special teams and perhaps play in some of the subpackages. That isn't bad for a 4th round pick. I just don't see Killebrew pushing Sendejo.

Super excited for the draft. While the Vikes have not obtained any superstar FAs, they have positioned themselves nicely to draft BPA. Personally, I'm not as high on Treadwell as others. While I saw some nice jump ball/traffic catches, I see a guy who goes through the motions on rounded lazy routes, no real speed or energy in the open field, and I wonder if he'll be able to get separation off the LOS in the NFL. He seems somewhat reliant getting separation in the red zone with a subtle push off that may be called more in the NFL  Looking at film of Michael Thomas OTOH, he has a suddenness about his foot movement breaking from the LOS, running routes or setting up explosive downfield YAC... just tremendous speed with his studderstep. I'm no scout of course, so I recognize there must be factors making the masses love Treadwell as a blue chipper, but based on highlight film Treadwell looks a bit one trick pony-ish with endzone fades and Thomas looks like the more technical/exciting all around WR prospect, with potential to become TO-like with the ball in his hands.

The thing about Treadwell is he is so strong. Great blocker as well. He can win in a lot of ways. I think he would be an excellent fit for the Vikings and Bridgewater if he should be available at pick 23. 

I like Thomas as well but I have some reservations about counting on him to be the Vikings WR 1 or worth the pick. I am still somewhat on the fence about that. I know I would like to have him on the team, just not sure if he is worth the price.

Huh, I probably trust your judgment over my own but I was thinking those exact thoughts about Treadwell. He's a 6'2" guy (not large by NFL standards) who isn't particularly fast, isn't particularly elusive, and seems not to offer much in terms of YAC. I'm sure I'll be barbed for this, but I saw Plaxico minus the height advantage. I'm not seeing WR1. Also I should say, I've not really been following mocks, but was under the impression it would not be necessary to take Thomas at 23. Draft countdown mocked Thomas to go #53 (1 pick before the Vikes #54). Now, I prefer him straight up, right or wrong, based on what looks to translate to NFL speed/size/power. If we're talking freedom at #23 and some insignificant trade up from 54 to 45 to assure getting Thomas in the 2nd? All the better.

And just to be clear, I'd like to think I'm not biased based on Treadwell's 40 time. I've seen a lot of prospects who ran poor 40s who I still loved because I saw an 'it' factor with the ball in their hands. Keenan Allen is one example for me - absolutely loved him when he had the ball. I just worry from what limited film I've seen that Treadwell's 40 time is fairly indicative of what he offers, even with the ball in his hands. Nothing about him seems NFL speed. 

I appreciate your opinion Jim.

I do think it is more of a projection with Treadwell because he is still so young.

Best case scenario I see a player who could remind us of Chris Carter moving the chains and making tough catches. He will also be an asset to the running game with his blocking which also enhances the screen game.

Worst case scenario is he wont be able to get separation and Teddy looks elsewhere when guys do not get open.

Teddy is one of the least willing QBs to throw into tight coverage. I don't see Treadwell as a good fit for his game. 

Makes sense. I'd like to see more foundational quickness or elusiveness to build from if looking at Treadwell as a project, but who knows. Obviously that did not help Cordarrelle. Maybe I've just soured on my own 2015 hopes that there would be some Pro-bowl caliber WR1 to be had in the 2016 draft. I'm not as not as confident that WR skill was our problem to begin with (pass protection?) or that taking any WR at 23 is the best option for this team - even if Treadwell becomes what you describe. Recognizing there are only a handful of guys like this in the NFL, I dream of eventually getting a WR1 with the size/speed to simply be a beast of a receiving threat. Come Wednesday Thursday, I'll be sort of hoping some other team takes Treadwell before 23 and we have justification to keep looking for that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an article going into detail about Treadwell. The author seems to prefer Thomas to Treadwell as well.
:thumbup:  Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. Me being an eyeball doofus sham-scout, it is great to read that there were other disappointing explosiveness measurables at his workout that support what I saw of Treadwell, and also support of the positives I saw in Thomas. I'm surprised the author suggests Treadwell is better getting off the line than we've seen in recent history at the position. I would think he'd be better getting separation with moves downfield during routes if he has that skillset. 

BigJim® said:
:thumbup:  Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. Me being an eyeball doofus sham-scout, it is great to read that there were other disappointing explosiveness measurables at his workout that support what I saw of Treadwell, and also support of the positives I saw in Thomas. I'm surprised the author suggests Treadwell is better getting off the line than we've seen in recent history at the position. I would think he'd be better getting separation with moves downfield during routes if he has that skillset. 
I think part of the reason for his quick release has to do with his strength. He is not afraid of contact with defensive backs because he can usually win by pushing them aside.

A Look at the Vikings Offensive Line

There are now 14 offensive linemen currently on the roster, and time will tell how many remain at the end of training camp.   Let's take a quick look at everyone, and what position(s) they could possibly play this season.
There is a nice depth chart in the link which is easer than trying to explain all the possible combinations and their pecking order in words. There are also some nice words describing that as well.

I'm really excited for this year's draft. Given the Vikes getting 3 prime time games, the NFL is confident they'll be as good as or better than last season.

Love what I have seen of Joseph. I am hoping Rick finds a way to get back up in the first to take him along with a WR in the 1st round.

I got my wish when i wanted him to it for Smith. Not trying to be greedy, but I would like to see it happen again and I think Joseph is worth the price it may take to get it done.

I can't say if I would take him over a WR at pick 23 but I am starting to wonder if that is wrong, because there are not any other safeties like him in this draft, while there are enough WR in the later rounds that might not be ideal but are still good players.

Spielman: Not Honed In On A WR In Round One

Thanks everyone involved in their draft process which consists of 100 or more people.

He says in his 26 years of doing this, that he has never been around a coaching staff as adept at developing young talent. That he thinks that is evident to the media and the fans.

He says that their evaluation process gets narrowed down to a few specific players they are targeting in each round.

He says he has two offers from teams to move up to pick 23 and one of those teams is in the second round. He wont make a final decision until the pick is on the clock and what players have fallen at that point. He mentions the 5th year option being something that is nice to have so he might want to move down in the 1st round and keep that.

They do not use trade value charts. They have a value rating on players, he mentions a red prospect, as the ratings are tiered by their value. He says they use data from 1998 to today of historical draft data to form the value of each draft pick independent from their tiers. It isn't always about if they are 300 points difference in value, but more about the specific players being targets for those draft picks.

He mentions rating based on 32 different traits. Each position has different traits.

After a follow up question about that he says that actually it is more than 32 traits that goes into the analysis. He says that there are over 100 different categories that they narrow down to 32 that they narrow down to five.

He is actually giving details.

My Prediction for tonight is Josh Doctson at #23 and then the patented trade back up into the end of the 1st round (with the Seahawks possibly) and snag Karl Joseph or TJ Green to become Hitman Harry's new running mate. Takes care of our biggest needs on Offense and Defense and then we just draft depth on both lines. 

That would be ideal Beo. I think Joseph could be worth pick 23 and move heaven and earth to get back up there to take both of these guys.

I preferred Doctson over Treadwell but I am happy. I know the medicals on Jack don't look very positive but I have to say when he was there for us I really wanted to pull the trigger....lol. 

I preferred Doctson over Treadwell but I am happy. I know the medicals on Jack don't look very positive but I have to say when he was there for us I really wanted to pull the trigger....lol. 
I'm coming at this as a Bears fan, with mostly Vikings friends. That said, I thought Treadwell was an excellent pick, and think he's a better fit than Doctson. Treadwell has superior tackle breaking and run blocking ability, and I think those are more important to the Vikings, even if he is less explosive than Doctson. I've maintained that I think Bridgewater is better than Carr or Bortles, he just hasn't had anyone to throw to like they have. Well, that excuse is gone now, so we'll see if I'm right.

Would have been cool to see the Vikes reunite the UCLA LB crew with Jack, Kendricks and Barr.

I'm happy with the Treadwell pick.  Now I assume we'll pick up one of the solid D-line prospects soon. I would not be surprised if we'll try to get a speed WR somehow, if not this year then next year.  Turner's offense usually has a speed WR to stretch the D, which for us would also help AP.

I'm happy with the Treadwell pick.  Now I assume we'll pick up one of the solid D-line prospects soon. I would not be surprised if we'll try to get a speed WR somehow, if not this year then next year.  Turner's offense usually has a speed WR to stretch the D, which for us would also help AP.
They should try to get Mike Wallace.

I can live with the pick. Hell, with the way WRs flew off the shelves I'm just glad we got one. God only knows what would be left in the 2nd. It was somewhat reassuring to read that Treadwell himself thought his recovery hampered his speed in 2015. If he can gain/regain a bit of explosiveness, he could be SOTD. 

It's pretty exciting to hope that there is a 2016 version of Danielle Hunter in the coming rounds. Anything we can get to bolster S/LB/DL could make the defense scary. 

I stumped for Brett Hundley last year (in the 4th!) but I don't love this QB class. Would love to hear if there is someone of that quality who might slide this year. The Vikes definitely need to break this cycle and take a cheap hopeful future prospect like Hundley at some point. The all eggs-one basket approach has been a huge problem since Culpepper IMHO.

Any reason to believe Locke will kick any better indoors? I think we have to find a punter somehow with a late pick. It's such a critical role for a defensive minded team. 

I wish I was more optimistic with scouting of late round OL to groom. We may need to replace starters in the near future. Hopefully Sparano/Shurmur have an eye for what they can work with. 

I can live with the pick. Hell, with the way WRs flew off the shelves I'm just glad we got one. God only knows what would be left in the 2nd. It was somewhat reassuring to read that Treadwell himself thought his recovery hampered his speed in 2015. If he can gain/regain a bit of explosiveness, he could be SOTD. 

It's pretty exciting to hope that there is a 2016 version of Danielle Hunter in the coming rounds. Anything we can get to bolster S/LB/DL could make the defense scary. 

I stumped for Brett Hundley last year (in the 4th!) but I don't love this QB class. Would love to hear if there is someone of that quality who might slide this year. The Vikes definitely need to break this cycle and take a cheap hopeful future prospect like Hundley at some point. The all eggs-one basket approach has been a huge problem since Culpepper IMHO.

Any reason to believe Locke will kick any better indoors? I think we have to find a punter somehow with a late pick. It's such a critical role for a defensive minded team. 

I wish I was more optimistic with scouting of late round OL to groom. We may need to replace starters in the near future. Hopefully Sparano/Shurmur have an eye for what they can work with. 
Its a minority opinion, but I think Vernon Adams is a better prospect than Connor Cook or Christian Hackenburg. He's in the Tyrod Taylor mold. His only real knock is his height, but he looks like prime Jeff Garcia at times, and at the very least I think he could have a Seneca Wallace type career. 

Great pick! Especially with WRs going before them, they got the guy I think they wanted plus most of positions of need on defense (DT, LB, S) didn't really get picked through so they should get a decent 2nd round pick. Wouldn't be surprised to see them move up to get one of the Alabama guys (Ragland still being there is surprising!). Between Greenway and Lemur, they should have a somewhat decent stop-gap for a year if they wish to "redshirt" Jack or Jaylon Smith if they want to go that route. 

Very excited about the day 2 fun!! This is my favorite day of the draft!

I don't know why one wouldn't be excited for the upcoming season.

Better offense, great defense, and a new stadium?

Hard to get more than 11 wins but they should be in a much better position to make noise in the playoffs.

Definitely happy with that pick. Addressed the most immediate need with a top-rated guy despite receivers flying off the board. 

FunkyPlutos said:
Great pick! Especially with WRs going before them, they got the guy I think they wanted plus most of positions of need on defense (DT, LB, S) didn't really get picked through so they should get a decent 2nd round pick. Wouldn't be surprised to see them move up to get one of the Alabama guys (Ragland still being there is surprising!). Between Greenway and Lemur, they should have a somewhat decent stop-gap for a year if they wish to "redshirt" Jack or Jaylon Smith if they want to go that route. 

Very excited about the day 2 fun!! This is my favorite day of the draft!
From what I have read and learned over the last few days in that Ragland is a limited 2 down thumper and I think the Vikings already have that in Cole (although Cole hasn't been able to stay healthy). There are only a two LB prospects that I think could be worth pick 54 which are Deion Jones and Joshua Perry.

Beo said:
Kind of a tense moment when Houston traded up with Washington. Then a sense of relief when they drafted Fuller only to have my heart ripped out soon after with the pick of Doctson.

As I already said up thread I am fine with Treadwell, in fact he might end up being the best WR from this draft as most felt he was back in January.

His strength and blocking ability should help our screen game. You give Jarius Wright a crease and he is gone. Same with Theilen. The Vikings did not need speed or a deep ball WR. What they need is a reliable target on 3rd down. Hoping Treadwell can be that. I think he can.

As far as Karl Joseph goes, I think Oakland liked him even more than I do. So much for that. There are some other safeties to target from this draft still however who I think could push Sendejo in time.

Fun as a fan when your team takes the guy you wanted them to take. Excited to see him play. KFAN was making Brandon Marshall comparisons this morning.

From what I have read and learned over the last few days in that Ragland is a limited 2 down thumper and I think the Vikings already have that in Cole (although Cole hasn't been able to stay healthy). There are only a two LB prospects that I think could be worth pick 54 which are Deion Jones and Joshua Perry.
Jones went at pick 52.

Great value getting Alexander this late!!
I didn't really watch him. He is from Clemson so the Vikings obviously liked him better than TJ Green who was drafted soon after. Both Andy and myself liked Green later than pick 54 but as it turns out he was valued pretty close to pick 54.

Could Alexander be used as a free safety?

This pick makes me wonder about Trey Waynes and Munnerlin somewhat.

Cody Whitehair went to the Bears at pick 56.

That tells me the Vikings are happy with what they have on the line right now. 

Captain Munnerlyn to SS? Rhodes and Waynes outside with Alexander in the slot and move Munnerlyn to SS. He tackles well and can blitz on occasion plus having good ball skills. I guess I am just not buying into Griffin as our starting SS.

I just think he is too good a player not to take...Munnerlyn is good but not someone that you would say will be a mainstay. I really like Waynes and think he will be a really good player.

From what I heard somewhere a few weeks ago, was that Alexander didn't interview well, was cocky and arrogant but he plays with a chip on his shoulder.  Mayock said something that Alexander is a bit short but will be a solid nickel so Rhodes and Waynes start, with Alexander battling others for nickel and dime playing time.

Maliek Collins is a defensive tackle who I thought could possibly replace Tom Johnson down the road. He was just drafted by the Cowboys at pick 67.

Not sure what other defensive tackles the Vikings might be interested in. There are a ton of good ones in this draft, but most of them are more nose tackle types from what I've watched.

Captain Munnerlyn to SS? Rhodes and Waynes outside with Alexander in the slot and move Munnerlyn to SS. He tackles well and can blitz on occasion plus having good ball skills. I guess I am just not buying into Griffin as our starting SS.
That is an interesting idea.

Have to trust Zimmer here. I just am not familiar with Alexander.

Hmm we traded our 3rd rounder for what??

• Minnesota Vikings receive: #186 overall pick (sixth round), 2017 third round pick, conditional 2017 fourth pick.  Hmm....
--------

I see two excellent value picks that we could have taken, Billings the NG from Baylor who can lift a Mack truck or G Westerman from Arizona State but we dealt the pick, hmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm we traded our 3rd rounder for what??

• Minnesota Vikings receive: #186 overall pick (sixth round), 2017 third round pick, conditional 2017 fourth pick.  Hmm....
--------

I see two excellent value picks that we could have taken, Billings the NG from Baylor who can lift a Mack truck or G Westerman from Arizona State but we dealt the pick, hmm....
Yeah Billings would have been perfect there. Cash and Killebrew at Safety and Josh Perry at LB also would have made sense. I don't understand this deal at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread