What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL****Minnesota Vikings offseason thread (2 Viewers)

No pleasing some people? Dont let the playoffs fool you, Ponder was awful. They took passing in the NFL back 40 years to when 2900 yards was ok. He just has to step up bigtime or this year will have been a fluke. He also needs help, curious to see what they have up their sleeve.

Watching Kaepernick and Wilson is killing me. I have a tough time being excited about the future with Ponder having saved his job the last 4 weeks.
If what the Vikings did this season compared to the last 2 years does not get you excited about the future of the Vikings I am not sure anything less than a title would.I felt the same way about Ponder compared to Wilson in the Seahags game. I wish Ponder was like Brady or Peyton too but that does not change who he is.

Wilson looks to be a great QB and a lot of teams passed on him. Some times teams get lucky and the player they take out performs their expectations.

I do not think it is really fair to Ponder however comparing him to some of the best QBs of the season. Expectations people have for Ponder seem unreasonably high. Just no pleasing some people.
Really :confused: I'm not expecting Rodger's like numbers, but improvement would be nice.

In today's NFL, no Starting QB should have 6 out of 16 games where they throw under 150 yards.. or least be showing improvement as the season continues.

Game 4 @DET 111 yards 0 TD 0 Int

Game 7 ARZ 58 yards 1 TD 2 Int

Game 9 @SEA 63 yards 0 TD 1 Int

Game 13 @GB 119 yards 1 TD 2 Int

Game 14 CHI 91 yards 0 TD 1 Int

Game 15 @STL 131 yards 0 TD 0 Int

The most concerning to fans should be that week 13 to week 15 stretch.. You'd expect a player reaching the end of his 2nd year to show growth but he actually regressed there.

Everyone seems to want to look at the Green Bay game and think... That it is!!! :excited:

Again, I hope I am wrong and I have to come in here next year and wear the :bag: but right now I don't see it.

They took the ball out of his hands late in the season and focused on running the ball. GB and HOU were good games for Ponder. Between the lack of down the field guys who can get open and my general lack of confidence in the game plan, I don't know if the stats are indicative if Ponder's talent or scheme/personnel limitations. I still like what I see when he plays confidently. He started strong this year, and even watching his first couple starts last year, he was mobile in the pocket, sensed pressure and moved his feet well, and is an above average scrambler. Get him a better set of weapons and open up the playbook, then see what he can do. IMO his personal limitations are his lack of confidence, average arm strength, and at times still struggles to read the defense. The arm is what it is, but confidence and reading defenses can be helped by scheme, practice and personnel upgrades.

I really wonder how much of it comes down to coaching. Alex Smith looked terrible for years then after a year under Harbaugh he's the 3rd highest rated QB in the league. Tavaris Jackson looked halfways competent last year under Pete Carroll. Those guys just understand how to coach QBs. Every QB they've coached plays better for them than they do anywhere else. That's why I don't really believe Ponder will become a good QB. Musgrave is a terrible QB coach. It's no coincidence that Ryan didn't look like an elite QB until Musgrave left IMO. It's no coincidence that Webb looks worse at QB now than he did when he was a rookie. I just don't believe Ponder is going to improve much unless Musgrave leaves.

Sorry but if Ponder cant read defenses by now, that ship has sailed. Its like saying a guy would play on the tour but he cant putt.

Sorry but if Ponder cant read defenses by now, that ship has sailed. Its like saying a guy would play on the tour but he cant putt.
Sadly, I agree with this. I'd posted in the 2012 season thread a list of QBs who were drafted in rounds 1-2 over the past decade, and based on that it seemed pretty clear a QB shows early on that he has 'it', or doesn't. I think the theory that a light comes on for a QB is a fallacy, and teams who stand by QBs like David Carr and Joey Harrington waste years delaying the inevitable. If you've drafted the next Matt Lienart/Patrick Ramsey/Jamarcus Russell, you are almost always best off moving on quickly rather than wallowing in your fate - and don't worry about untapped potential or that they are going to become someone else's star. It just never happens. Regardless of circumstances, guys who have it, show it. The only counter example I could find was Drew Brees, who is not comparable to Ponder.

I say we bring in Alex Smith (who will have a HUGE chip on his shoulder) to compete with Ponder, and play who ever looks the best. Go all defense in the draft, and bring in the best FA WR (Jennings?) to go along with Harvin, Wright, Simpson and Jenkins (we need him for blocking), and cut Aromashodu and Burton.

I say we bring in Alex Smith (who will have a HUGE chip on his shoulder) to compete with Ponder, and play who ever looks the best. Go all defense in the draft, and bring in the best FA WR (Jennings?) to go along with Harvin, Wright, Simpson and Jenkins (we need him for blocking), and cut Aromashodu and Burton.
Sign me up, sounds good. I have to admit though that BPA is probably still the best way to approach the draft. Would love to see Alex Smith come here but would they have to promise him the job? I bet thats what it would take.

I think perhaps some of the negative nancy stuff around here may be wearing me down.The way I see it is that Ponder was a project when the Vikings drafted him. Many said the pick was a reach and time may end up proving that to be true or it might not. Despite that I have seen Ponder make progress and get better over the season. Particularly when it mattered most. Ponder made some nice throws in those last 3 games and he made some good throws early on in the season as well. As good as these performances were for him the games that snogger points out were very bad. So why is it the focus on when Ponder struggled? When Ponder and the whole team played poorly (except for Peterson, blocks for Peterson)while ignoring when Ponder played well? To me this is mostly just a difference in attitude/perspective on the situation. :confused: What I saw from Ponder this season was better than how he played as a rookie. Ponder works hard to get better. The weight he put on over the offseason, and his play proved that early on in the season and in the last 3 games of the season before he was injured. Ponder played his best football when it mattered most, that is what I like to see.The offense is really lacking weapons in the passing game. Rudolph like Ponder were only in their 2nd seasons. Ponder performed much better statistically when Harvin was healthy. Wright did a good job and made some great plays in those last 3 games but there was an adjustment period for the offense after losing Harvin. Ponder had bad games before Harvin was injured but obviously losing his best weapon did not help Ponder get the ball to Wright as often or as well as he was getting the ball to Harvin. That took awhile, Wright was still on the practice squad until Harvin got injured. It took some time for timing with Wright to be found. The offensive game plan is very conservative by design. Many of the planned throws are very safe plays, the main goal is to not turn over the ball. The game plan and coaching does limit the numbers one might be expecting a starting QB in the pass heavy NFL to get in a season. Funkley says Ponder is a throw back of 40 years well it has been nearly that long since a RB got as many yards as Peterson too. The Vikings are a run 1st team. It is by design. With this type of offense and the lack of a big play deep threat to keep defenses honest Ponder was often under a lot of pressure right up the middle (Johnson/Fusco)from the run blitzes designed to help the defense get to Peterson before he can get started. Recievers would just not get open at times and Rudolph could be taken away with a double team after Harvin was injured.I am not saying that Ponder is the long term answer either. He may be better suited as a good back up QB in the end but I think Ponder is the best the Vikings have so I support him. I would rather hope for the best than to be sure of the worst since I have a choice about how to look at it.

Jebus.......this has nothing to do with being negative. Things either pass your eye test or they dont. If you want Ponder to be good then purple colored glasses is about the only perspective left where he is good. Otherwise he was mostly awful with some above average mixed in. 6 games under 140 yards shouldnt leave much doubt about this. Ponder's margin of error is slight. He has no arm so his window to complete any pass is small. Look at the Packer game. At least two of the td's could have as easily been intercepted. They werent and as a result its the only game this year i'm willing to say he was good. But his ability to be good is not on the same level as most qb's. He simply cant zip the ball downfield. Short or floaters, thats it.Look, it was a fun season. My fear is that the re-build is suddenly out of order. Are they really this improved or were they just damn lucky in a few games this year and took advantage of a miracle season by AP. What I dont want to see is a sudden back slide to 5-11 because they got distracted by a surprise season. Have you seen the road schedule next year? Sticking with Ponder without competition would be a huge mistake. Getting him more to work with is key but they still have a lot of holes to fill on defense. They need two new linebackers, a d-tackle and a corner. And if the find a reason to sit Sanford and Raymond that would be ok too. For a 10-6 team, there are a lot of holes to plug. I want them to get legitimately good, not flukey good.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Biabreakable said:
I think perhaps some of the negative nancy stuff around here may be wearing me down.The way I see it is that Ponder was a project when the Vikings drafted him. Many said the pick was a reach and time may end up proving that to be true or it might not. Despite that I have seen Ponder make progress and get better over the season. Particularly when it mattered most. Ponder made some nice throws in those last 3 games and he made some good throws early on in the season as well. As good as these performances were for him the games that snogger points out were very bad. So why is it the focus on when Ponder struggled? When Ponder and the whole team played poorly (except for Peterson, blocks for Peterson)while ignoring when Ponder played well? To me this is mostly just a difference in attitude/perspective on the situation. :confused: What I saw from Ponder this season was better than how he played as a rookie. Ponder works hard to get better. The weight he put on over the offseason, and his play proved that early on in the season and in the last 3 games of the season before he was injured. Ponder played his best football when it mattered most, that is what I like to see.The offense is really lacking weapons in the passing game. Rudolph like Ponder were only in their 2nd seasons. Ponder performed much better statistically when Harvin was healthy. Wright did a good job and made some great plays in those last 3 games but there was an adjustment period for the offense after losing Harvin. Ponder had bad games before Harvin was injured but obviously losing his best weapon did not help Ponder get the ball to Wright as often or as well as he was getting the ball to Harvin. That took awhile, Wright was still on the practice squad until Harvin got injured. It took some time for timing with Wright to be found. The offensive game plan is very conservative by design. Many of the planned throws are very safe plays, the main goal is to not turn over the ball. The game plan and coaching does limit the numbers one might be expecting a starting QB in the pass heavy NFL to get in a season. Funkley says Ponder is a throw back of 40 years well it has been nearly that long since a RB got as many yards as Peterson too. The Vikings are a run 1st team. It is by design. With this type of offense and the lack of a big play deep threat to keep defenses honest Ponder was often under a lot of pressure right up the middle (Johnson/Fusco)from the run blitzes designed to help the defense get to Peterson before he can get started. Recievers would just not get open at times and Rudolph could be taken away with a double team after Harvin was injured.I am not saying that Ponder is the long term answer either. He may be better suited as a good back up QB in the end but I think Ponder is the best the Vikings have so I support him. I would rather hope for the best than to be sure of the worst since I have a choice about how to look at it.
When Ponder came out weren't the scouts and the Vikings telling us that of his draft class he might be the QB most ready to contribute as a rookie?I defended Ponder for the first half of this season, but after he went on that bad run it was impossible to dispute how bad every throw was. As bad as the QB situation has been here for the last 10-12 years, I've never been so happy every time a QB completes a pass (let alone makes a good throw allowing YAC) the way I was the last 1/2 of this season with Ponder....he was that bad. So to answer your question, I think people aren't focusing on the good because most people feel that his good games were just average games at best and only appeared to be good because he lowered our expectations so much.If you've ever been on KFAN's Rube Chat though you probably get the feeling that Vikings fans are some of the most negative people on the face of the earth. Good lord is that place unbearable...it's like the government rounded up the inbred hicks that migrated north and put them all in a trailer park together.

'Biabreakable said:
When Ponder came out weren't the scouts and the Vikings telling us that of his draft class he might be the QB most ready to contribute as a rookie?I defended Ponder for the first half of this season, but after he went on that bad run it was impossible to dispute how bad every throw was. As bad as the QB situation has been here for the last 10-12 years, I've never been so happy every time a QB completes a pass (let alone makes a good throw allowing YAC) the way I was the last 1/2 of this season with Ponder....he was that bad. So to answer your question, I think people aren't focusing on the good because most people feel that his good games were just average games at best and only appeared to be good because he lowered our expectations so much.If you've ever been on KFAN's Rube Chat though you probably get the feeling that Vikings fans are some of the most negative people on the face of the earth. Good lord is that place unbearable...it's like the government rounded up the inbred hicks that migrated north and put them all in a trailer park together.
This is a good point. The whole reason the Vikings liked Ponder over guys like Tannehill and Dalton was they felt he was ready to come in and start from day 1(remember they didn't have McNabb when they drafted him). He was always thought of as a game manager type with limited upside but the whole reason he looked good to the team was that he was "pro-ready" which is what they needed at the time. The truth about Ponder was that they never envisioned him ever becoming an elite QB in the league. They thought he would become a good QB, but wouldn't take as long to get there as you would expect from a rookie QB. Well, if the new spin is that we just need to give him time to develop, then he isn't the type of QB anyone should want on their team. He will never be elite. He doesn't have the talent to be. I personally don't think the Vikings should waste time "developing" a guy who we hope can be a game manager. That's not a formula for success IMO.

I personally don't think the Vikings should waste time "developing" a guy who we hope can be a game manager. That's not a formula for success IMO.
Could not agree more....you don't groom a game manager by playing him week after week as your unquestioned starter, you go out and sign a vet that is "just good enough to get the job done" when called upon. Maybe you only brought him in to compete and mentor a young guy if he loses the battle in training camp, but having a project with an arm (MBT) behind a project who's athletic (Webb) behind a rookie/2nd year who's a game manager (Ponder) is just not a recipe for success IMO. Side note: Frazier saying week after week that he never even considered pulling Ponder from a game in which he had 60 yards passing after 3 quarters made me sick.

'Biabreakable said:
I was you... a few years back.. I spent many a day talking about T.J.'s strength's, his work attitude, his dedication, his practices and kept saying " You need to patient, he is getting better"... :bag:

I don't get why some people want to replace Ponder with Smith if they are both game managers. We have Ponder now and his contract is reasonable. I give him another year to improve or implode. That said, I still wouldn't mind if the Vikings swung for the fences with a boom/bust guy as this years backup. Too bad there is no Colin Kapernick type QBs in this draft. IMO Tyler Bray has the most potential of the QBs in this class dispite his bad reputation. Is the reward worth the risk? I remember how freaked out I was about Harvin's rep when the Vikings took a chance on him. Zac Dysert is a guy I initially was high on but I am now questioning whether he has the accuracy or pocket presence to excell at the next level.

I don't get why some people want to replace Ponder with Smith if they are both game managers. We have Ponder now and his contract is reasonable. I give him another year to improve or implode.

That said, I still wouldn't mind if the Vikings swung for the fences with a boom/bust guy as this years backup. Too bad there is no Colin Kapernick type QBs in this draft. IMO Tyler Bray has the most potential of the QBs in this class dispite his bad reputation. Is the reward worth the risk? I remember how freaked out I was about Harvin's rep when the Vikings took a chance on him. Zac Dysert is a guy I initially was high on but I am now questioning whether he has the accuracy or pocket presence to excell at the next level.
They aren't though. Alex Smith IS a game manager. Ponder is a guy who might develop into an effective game manager. If Alex Smith is who we're hoping Ponder becomes, then it makes more sense to just get the guy who is already at that level.I agree on taking a chance on a guy though. Vikings fans probably are scared of that due to the memory of TJack, but just because one attempt at a home run failed doesn't mean we shouldn't take more swings.

Yeah, I dont see Ponder and Smith as being the same guy. And i'm not a huge Smith fan. I just see him as an obvious upgrade......if given the chance.

So we all agree we need soild number 2 QB or at mabyee someone to push replace pounder?Do go FA? Or do go via the draft and hope somthing falls to us in 2nd round? Since I don't think we take one in 1st round?Been hearing all these guys might slide:Matt BarkleyMike GlennonTyler Wilson

I don't get why some people want to replace Ponder with Smith if they are both game managers. We have Ponder now and his contract is reasonable. I give him another year to improve or implode.

That said, I still wouldn't mind if the Vikings swung for the fences with a boom/bust guy as this years backup. Too bad there is no Colin Kapernick type QBs in this draft. IMO Tyler Bray has the most potential of the QBs in this class dispite his bad reputation. Is the reward worth the risk? I remember how freaked out I was about Harvin's rep when the Vikings took a chance on him. Zac Dysert is a guy I initially was high on but I am now questioning whether he has the accuracy or pocket presence to excell at the next level.
They aren't though. Alex Smith IS a game manager. Ponder is a guy who might develop into an effective game manager. If Alex Smith is who we're hoping Ponder becomes, then it makes more sense to just get the guy who is already at that level.

I agree on taking a chance on a guy though. Vikings fans probably are scared of that due to the memory of TJack, but just because one attempt at a home run failed doesn't mean we shouldn't take more swings.
I am not sure it does. What is the purpose of that so we can lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs rather than the 1st? How much of Smith success can be attributed to the 49ers simply being a stronger overall team than the Vikings?Would Smith even want to come to the Vikings if he wasn't guaranteed to be the starter? He might prefer to go elsewhere with less competition.

So we all agree we need soild number 2 QB or at mabyee someone to push replace pounder?Do go FA? Or do go via the draft and hope somthing falls to us in 2nd round? Since I don't think we take one in 1st round?Been hearing all these guys might slide:Matt BarkleyMike GlennonTyler Wilson
I prefer veteran backup if given a choice. They need someone to mentor and push Ponder, not a rookie. I'm not opposed to both if there is a rookie they love. Then get rid of both Webb and MBT.

'Biabreakable said:
This is a good point. The whole reason the Vikings liked Ponder over guys like Tannehill and Dalton was they felt he was ready to come in and start from day 1(remember they didn't have McNabb when they drafted him). He was always thought of as a game manager type with limited upside but the whole reason he looked good to the team was that he was "pro-ready" which is what they needed at the time. The truth about Ponder was that they never envisioned him ever becoming an elite QB in the league. They thought he would become a good QB, but wouldn't take as long to get there as you would expect from a rookie QB. Well, if the new spin is that we just need to give him time to develop, then he isn't the type of QB anyone should want on their team. He will never be elite. He doesn't have the talent to be. I personally don't think the Vikings should waste time "developing" a guy who we hope can be a game manager. That's not a formula for success IMO.
Well that is a thing to consider also, is that the Vikings were not able to install much of their game plan in 2011 because of the CBA not being settled until after the Nfl draft. Frazier has made a pretty big deal about what a difference it made for the Vikings to be able to run their offseason program and how that set a foundation for how the Vikings played this season. In 2011 everything was behind schedule. Ponder still beat out a declining McNabb but Ponder was pretty much raw his whole rookie season, if the Vikings had been able to do their preseason program with Ponder in 2011 maybe he would have seemed more NFl ready as a rookie than he was, maybe he would be further along in his development by now, but that didn't happen and Ponder didn't really play enough in 2011 for me to consider him experienced going into the 2012 season.I think Ponder is the Vikings best option the Vikings have and well worth developing even if that ultimately means Ponder is better suited as a back up QB and the Vikings go with someone else. I do not see why Alex Smith would be a better option than Ponder. Smith has failed more than Ponder has over his career and only recently has he had a supporting cast of a quality to make Smith look better than he was only a few seasons ago. Why is it that some of you Viking fans would welcome Alex Smith to be the same game manager type QB that Ponder is while at the same time having no confidence in Ponder being able to do as well as Smith would? :confused: Smith has proven his limitations far more than Ponder has at this point of both of their careers. I am hopeful that Ponder can be something better than Smith in time. I do not see adding Alex Smith and a QB controversy as being a good thing for the Vikings. The reason the Vikings drafted Ponder is because they no longer wanted to be chasing FA QBs to patch the position over. So why would the Vikings regress from that and bring in a QB like Smith who honestly is not nearly as exciting or capable as other veteran QBs the Vikings have used in the past such as Favre and Moon.Now clearly (or at least I think it is clear) the Vikings need to address the back up QB position and I agree a veteran QB to help mentor Ponder would be perhaps the best choice. Either that or the Vikings draft a QB of the future to push Ponder. The Vikings need a back up QB who can win games when needed. Webb does not seem to be the answer to that need any more.If Ponder does fail in 2013 (I think he improves on the progress made in 2012) then the Vikings will have given Ponder enough playing time to show the world what he is capable of and become a good back up QB the Vikings need. The question then would be who is going to become the starter?Strength of schedule analysis showed that the Vikings actually played one of the most difficult schedules in 2012 despite supposedly favorable slotting. The schedule next season while certainly not easy, does not appear to be more difficult than what the Vikings faced in 2012. I fully expect the Vikings to continue to be a run 1st team and Peterson just may be looking to knock off Dickersons record in 2013. So I would say be prepared for more low yardage passing from Ponder. The key is going to be adding a deep threat element and Ponder taking advantage of that as well as further developing his mechanics and short passing accuracy. I think Ponder accomplishes that but many of you will still likely be disappointed in Ponder not being Wilson,Manning,Rodgers.

Yeah, I dont see Ponder and Smith as being the same guy. And i'm not a huge Smith fan. I just see him as an obvious upgrade......if given the chance.
I do not see Smith as an upgrade to Ponder and Smith does not really have any upside at this point while Ponder still does. Stunting Ponders growth with a player such as Smith starting ahead of him is the wrong way to develop a young QB and giving up on Ponder too soon.

Kiper Projects WR Terrance Williams As Vikings 1st-Round PickPosted by Mike Wobschall on January 16, 2013 – 11:19 am No, it’s not time to launch this year’s Mock Madness, where we select a handful of draft prognosticators to follow on a weekly basis. That will happen once we get into March and the 2013 NFL Draft is fast-approaching. But we are in the offseason, so it is time to pay more attention to this year’s NFL prospects and what the prognosticators are, well, prognosticating.We got an early jump on this front last month when we pointed out that ESPN’s Todd McShay had already released his first mock draft of the season and projected the Vikings to take DT Sylvester Williams. McShay’s colleague at ESPN, Mel Kiper, Jr., is now officially on the board with his mock draft. Per usual, Kiper disagrees with McShay’s assessment (not surprising, though, at this stage in the process and with the Vikings selecting 23rd). Kiper sees the Vikings addressing the other side of the ball – offense.Kiper projects Baylor WR Terrance Williams as the Vikings pick at #23 overall. Here’s what Kiper wrote about Williams:“Last year, we saw both Josh Gordon and Kendall Wright taken out of Baylor, and Williams has the skill set to join them as a player drafted with the potential to make an early impact. Williams is first a player who can use his size and speed to stretch the field and take the top off a defense, but he also can make big plays on the sidelines, where he’ll tiptoe and make the catches as well as any pass-catching target in the draft. Williams also will beat you with the ball in his hands as a nifty runner with good size. Minnesota needs a dependable pass-catcher next to Percy Harvin and Kyle Rudolph.”The part of Kiper’s analysis that stood out to me was Williams’ ability to make plays on the sidelines. As I stated earlier this week in providing thoughts about Atlanta’s victory over Seattle, a receiver’s ability to make plays along the boundary does a lot for a QB. If a QB knows his receiver has the ability to pull down a pass along the boundary, that presents more opportunities for big plays because that QB will be more willing to throw that receiver a pass even in coverage.Williams, who measures in at 6-2, 205 pounds, is a senior who averaged 18.9 yards per catch and had 12 TDs last season, and for his career at Baylor he hauled in 202 catches and 27 TDs while averaging 16.5 yards per reception. He is scheduled to attend the Senior Bowl next week in Mobile, Alabama, and I’m slated to arrive on Monday so he’ll be one of the many players we keep an eye on next week.Anyway, we might be getting ahead of ourselves. But it’s fun to speculate on the draft,
http://blog.vikings.com/2013/01/16/kiper-projects-wr-terrance-williams-as-vikings-1st-round-pick/Not really a fan of the hair but I do like what he has to say about Williams. I think Williams, Allen and Patterson are all interesting options and nice value at pick 23 in a position of need. At the same time from what I have been reading the strength of this draft is on the defensive line. This seems like a draft crop of DTs deep enough that the Vikings could get a good DT even as late as pick 23. This may not be as much of immediate need (assuming the Vikings restructure KWs contract and he starts in 2013) as WR and a impact player at WR likely means more wins than better DT play in the rotation will, however long term the Vikings need to replace the Kevin Williams in his prime level of play that KW himself is not likely to ever get back to. I think it is great that Griffen can play the under tackle as well as he did. That helps on passing downs a ton, a rookie pass rushing DT from this draft would set the Vikings up to have a very good group for years to come even if(when) Allen gets traded/retired/declined.It recently dawned on me that Allen Griffen and Robinson are all in 1 year contracts. The Vikings must keep Griffen I think. Allen has the biggest contract on the team something like 17 million for 2013? Allen is likely worth every penny however Griffen and Robinson are more important to the Vikings long term plans at the DE position. I think it is ideal to keep all 3 as long as you can. That is a lot of cap space that could be allocated somewhere else however and money better spent signing Griffen+Robinson to longer term deals than it is paying Allen.

Here is what I think happens this offseason. What I think happens not necessarily what I want to happen.The Vikings start with giving Loadholt a huge contract. 5 years 46 million with 17 guaranteed Then they rework a deal with Kevin Williams for 3 years at 13 million. Antoine Winfield is resigned to a 2 year 9 million dollar contract. He knows his current number is junk.The vikes cut Charlie Johnson and jenkins.Spielman then turns his attention to Harvin. The vikes offer a great deal but harbin is adamant he will not sign. The Vikings have to start looking to trade.Minimum guys are tendered and signed.Free agency beginsThe Vikings resign Jerome Simpson for 2 years at 6.2 million.Rhe Vikings sign cb Sean smith from Miami giving the Vikings two massive cb s 4 years 26 millionThe money is pretty much spent at this point.The Vikings sign Julian Edelman to a 3 year 6 million dollar deal.The Vikings sign Jason Campbell to a 2 year deal for 3.5 million.The Vikings trade Percy Harvin to the Miami dolphins for 2nd and 3rd round picks. A good haul for the Vikings. 54th and 82nd picks.1WR kennan Allen cal2 William Gholston DE Michigan St.2 Eric Reid S LSU3 Tyler Bray QB Tenn3 Arthur Browm MLB Kansas st.4 Ryan Swope WR Texas amAfter the draft the vikings resign both Henderson and Brinkley. This is what I think will happen.

'Biabreakable said:
I do not see Smith as an upgrade to Ponder and Smith does not really have any upside at this point while Ponder still does. Stunting Ponders growth with a player such as Smith starting ahead of him is the wrong way to develop a young QB and giving up on Ponder too soon.
No one on this board knows who has upside and who doesnt. Hopefully, Ponder either proves he is or isnt the guy soon.

No one on this board knows who has upside and who doesnt. Hopefully, Ponder either proves he is or isnt the guy soon.
I think we have a pretty good idea of what Alex Smith is capable of and it is unlikely Smith grows a great deal in his performance after so many seasons now to develop.Ponder on the other hand has shown growth both long term; working out a ton in the offseason to be ready for 2012 and short term; coming back from a terrible streak of games to being a big factor in the teams final 3 wins to make the playoffs. Based on the progress Ponder has made I think he has potential to take another big step forward in his level of performance next season. Having additional weapons to work with and more experience from young players such as Kalil and Rudolph entering their 2nd and 3rd seasons respectively. I do think Ponder will improve on 2012, how much remains to be seen. Ponder will still be limited somewhat by the Vikings being a run 1st team. A legit deep threat could change that pretty quickly. The Vikings did not have many explosive plays from the passing game at all. That is at least in part because of the receivers. Alex Smith needed a great offensive line and quality receivers before he performed good enough to win with. Ponder when he limits the turnovers is already good enough to win but we have not seen him play with the same quality of receivers as we have seen Smith with. And this was a Smith who had 6 some more seasons of game experience to draw on than Ponder has just this season completing a full year without the choas that was the 2011 season in the aftermath of Childress/Favre.

Some rookie rankings now after the shrine game evaluations starting to be posted now: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-draftsThe 6 projected picks for the Vikings at 23 are DTs Johnathon Hankins, Sheldon Richardson, Sharrif Floyd, MLB Alec Ogletree and twice WR Justin Hunter who I do not see talked about as much as one of the best WR from this draft class as other WR like Patterson and Allen have been.That there is enough quality DT prospects to have 3 listed as possible picks suggests to me the quality of depth at the DT position for this to possibly be BPA at pick 23.I have not been that excited about Hunter in what I have read so far but I guess I have more reading to do. Floyd seems to have risen in mock draft rankings recently while the other 2 have been talked about for quite some time already.I watched a gaggle of games on Ogletree and he seems to cover and play the run pretty well. I watched enough to see that he does make mistakes some times but generally he seems to have good awareness and is in good position to make a play. He can get off blocks pretty well and make a play getting off the block. Of course he was blocked well a handful of plays that I watched but he was able to get off the block about as often as I saw him get blocked well enough to not impact the play. He looks like a very good player and better than I saw from Teo who has a lot of drama surrounding him right now. I need to research MLB Minter some more. A lot of mocks have him going before pick 23. I just wonder if he might be worth taking over a DT if he did fall to that pick or not.Another study of how mock drafts are ranking the Vikings pick 23: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/1/19/3893376/the-daily-norseman-mock-draft-database-v1-0

Of the 34 drafts we have presented here, 21 (61.8%) have the Vikings selecting a wide receiver in the first round of this year's selection meeting. 11 (32.4%) have them going after a defensive tackle, with one vote each for a cornerback or a linebacker (about 2.9% for each position).As I said, as we progress along, we will likely have more drafts to add to this, but this gives us a pretty good first guess at which direction the "experts" think the Minnesota Vikings will be going in the 2013 NFL Draft. Again, I will effort to update this on Saturdays for everyone to have a look at.Do you agree with what this is saying, folks? Are the Vikings destined to take a wide receiver or a defensive tackle with their first selection?

Biabreakable, I just dont think we're watching the same player but thats ok. Doesnt matter if we agree. I just hope it resolves itself soon because they cant be a contender with sub-par QB play no matter who it ends up being.

Biabreakable, I just dont think we're watching the same player but thats ok. Doesnt matter if we agree. I just hope it resolves itself soon because they cant be a contender with sub-par QB play no matter who it ends up being.
You and others may very well be right and Ponder will not take the next step needed to be a winning QB for the Vikings in 2013 or beyond. I can see Ponder never being more than a quality back up QB and possible future journeyman of the position. Much like Alex Smith now.The things I like about Ponder is his pocket awareness. He does seem to have that 6th sense about him to feel backside pressure that he cannot see. Ponder threw the ball away a lot in avoiding the sack this season. Part of that is because of his awareness of the pass rush. Ponder made some very risky throws in that situation that could have led to more turnovers as well, I am hoping he can improve on that.I also saw some decent zing on some of his throws later on in the season. On the slants and also on the double move to Wright. I do think part of this is just the decisiveness to let those throws rip when it is there that he may not have had the confidence to throw as quicky or sharply earlier on in the season.Ponder still has a lot of room for improvement on his mechanics. He threw off of his back foot without setting on many of the poor throws. That is something that he can work on and should be able to improve with practice over time.Ponder improved his completion percentage from 54% in 2011 to 62% in 2012. I think that is a good sign and Ponder could improve on this accuracy with better mechanics and experience.I thought Ponder got what he could out of Simpson and Jenkins which wasn't that great.Ponder could likely do more with a healthy Harvin for the full season, and a more experienced Wright/Rudolph building on last season. There may be some rookie or FA addition to this corps as well. It is hard for me to see the receiving options being worse in 2013 than they were in 2012.If Ponder fails to take the next step in his development I think the Vikings will have given him enough opportunity to make a decision. Options at QB in 2014 may be better than they are in 2013. I do like Bray and Dysert enough that using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on one of them maybe could be a good option. Start getting that player ready in case Ponder fails or as a good back up even if he succeeds as long as we do not have to use a 1st round pick on the player that would not be a bad investment. Unless you think Musgrave cannot develop QBs then it wouldnt much matter who the Vikings got. We all pretty much would have agreed that Bevel did not succeed in developing Jackson but now he has done a great job with Wilson. It might be more about the player than it is the coach.

"Decent zing"........now i'm positive we cant be talking about the same guy.
Watch the Houston game again and the Packers game. He makes several throws like this in those games that I had not seen up to that point and I was looking for it. Ponder seemed to play better after he got married.

'workdog3 said:
Sadly, I agree with this. I'd posted in the 2012 season thread a list of QBs who were drafted in rounds 1-2 over the past decade, and based on that it seemed pretty clear a QB shows early on that he has 'it', or doesn't. I think the theory that a light comes on for a QB is a fallacy, and teams who stand by QBs like David Carr and Joey Harrington waste years delaying the inevitable. If you've drafted the next Matt Lienart/Patrick Ramsey/Jamarcus Russell, you are almost always best off moving on quickly rather than wallowing in your fate - and don't worry about untapped potential or that they are going to become someone else's star. It just never happens. Regardless of circumstances, guys who have it, show it. The only counter example I could find was Drew Brees, who is not comparable to Ponder.
Easy on the absolutes. Sincerely,

Drew Brees
I mentioned Drew Brees in my last sentence. I see no comparison whatsoever between Ponder and a gun slinger like Brees.

Came across this today http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/1/17/3886720/vikings-had-very-good-injury-luck-in-2012I guess the Vikings were the 2nd least injured team in 2012 based on games missed for players on the injury report. Only the Dolphins had fewer games missed.

As the old saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good. The 2012 season seemed to be a good mixture of both for the Vikings.It's never easy to go from 3-13 to the playoffs in one season. A lot of things have to go right to have a seven-game positive swing in the standings. One of the best ways to turn a team around is drafting well. Rick Spielman and company had one of the best immediate-impact drafts in franchise history with Matt Kalil, Harrison Smith, and Blair Walsh greatly upgrading their respective positions. Jarius Wright, Josh Robinson, and Rhett Ellison made an impact as well.In the parity-driven NFL, most games come down to a handful of plays. Winning the close ones can make all the difference between a successful season and a complete failure. Case in point: the Vikings were 2-9 in games decided by 7 points or less in 2011. They were 5-1 in games in such games in 2012. (Side note: is anyone else surprised that we ended up with only six one-score games this season? I was when I looked back at it. It felt like there were a lot more.)Of course it also helps to have the best running back in the NFL bringing his dominance to another level along with a slowly-but-surely improving young quarterback. (Seriously, Christian Ponder improved overall this year across the board. I looked it up and everything.) We've already covered many of the reasons for the Vikings' improvement this year, but one key factor still might be getting overlooked.Relatively speaking, the Vikings were really, really healthy in 2012.In the Deadspin article that everyone's sure to be talking about today, they had an excellent breakdown of team-by-team injuries. (OK, so maybe there might be another story on Deadspin that's currently getting a little more publicity right now. But still.) They start by talking about how some teams over-reported their injuries; to nobody's surprise, the AFC East led the league in lengthy injury reports. But the most meaningful chart showed how many players on each team actually missed games after appearing on the injury report:If you click and enlarge the image, you'll see that only the Dolphins had fewer missed games than the Vikings. Minnesota had only one non-IR player miss more than eight games, which is pretty incredible over the course of the season. That one player happened to be Percy Harvin, undoubtedly the Vikings' best receiving option, but overall the team was incredibly healthy this year. And yes, the Packers were the most injured team this year. So all the #####ing that you hear from Green Bay fans about how beat up they were is actually sort of justified. (But it still doesn't excuse them from being the butt hurt whiners that they are--the waaaahhhhmbulance was still way more active than the Packers' training staff this year.)Another interesting Vikings quirk from the Deadspin report: if a player was listed as Questionable, it usually meant they were still good to go. The Q next to a player's name is one of the most maddening things for fantasy football managers and gamblers alike--it means that the player may or may not play. But in Minnesota's case, it meant there was a 75% chance they were going to play, which led the league:For me, there are two major takeaways from this information:Eric Sugarman and the rest of the Vikings training staff are top-notch. Sugarman was one of the main cogs in Adrian Peterson's amazingly fast recovery and is always revered as one of the best in the business.The Vikings were very fortunate with injuries this year outside of Percy Harvin, and I'm not 100% sold that Harvin's absence was all about his ankle toward the end of the year. If the Vikings hope to keep improving in 2013, they'll have to address their depth at a lot of positions in the offseason. They can't expect to have the same good fortune next year.Here's to hoping that the Vikings can find an even better blend of lucky and good in 2013.

As much asI would like the Vikings to take an impact dt or MLB I think the Vikings must take the best WR in the draft this year. Kenaan Allen is a legit number 1 nfl WR. Hopefully we can keep Harvin and Loadholt sign one starter as a free agent and have a great draft. How do you guys rank the WRs? I was impressed with how Spielman traded up last year to get Smith last year. It would be awesome to resign Harvin and draft Allen and trade up to get another good option there.

As much asI would like the Vikings to take an impact dt or MLB I think the Vikings must take the best WR in the draft this year. Kenaan Allen is a legit number 1 nfl WR. Hopefully we can keep Harvin and Loadholt sign one starter as a free agent and have a great draft. How do you guys rank the WRs? I was impressed with how Spielman traded up last year to get Smith last year. It would be awesome to resign Harvin and draft Allen and trade up to get another good option there.
Well the Great Blue North ranks the rookie WRs as of the 19th January this way:
*Keenan Allen 6-2, 210 4.52 California X*Cordarelle Patterson 6-2, 200 4.45 TennesseeTavon Austin 5-9, 175 4.40 West Virginia*De'Andre Hopkins 6-1, 200 4.55 ClemsonTerrence Williams 6-2, 205 4.50 Baylor*Robert Woods 6-1, 190 4.50 Southern California*Justin Hunter 6-3, 200 4.47 Tennessee X*Da'Rick Rogers 6-2, 210 4.50 Tennessee Tech O*Stedman Bailey 5-10, 190 4.50 West Virginia Cobi Hamilton 6-2, 210 4.50 ArkansasQuinton Patton 6-1, 195 4.50 Louisiana Tech*Kenny Stills 6-0, 190 4.50 OklahomaRyan Swope 5-11, 210 4.55 Texas A&MMarkus Wheaton 6-0, 185 4.45 Oregon StateAaron Dobson 6-2, 205 4.55 MarshallDenard Robinson 5-11, 195 4.40 Michigan X*Ace Sanders 5-8, 175 4.48 South Carolina (PR)Connor Vernon 6-0, 200 4.52 DukeMarcus Davis 6-3, 230 4.45 Virginia TechAaron Melette 6-2, 220 4.55 ElonChris Harper 6-1, 230 4.55 Kansas StateMarquise Goodwin 5-9, 180 4.35 TexasRodney Smith 6-4, 220 4.60 Florida State*Josh Boyce 5-11, 205 4.52 TCUCorey Fuller 6-2, 197 4.45 Virginia Tech*Marquess Wilson 6-2, 190 4.55 Washington State OTavarres King 6-0, 200 4.50 GeorgiaAlec Lemon 6-1, 205 4.60 SyracuseDan Buckner 6-3.5, 212 4.58 ArizonaKeenan Davis 6-2, 215 4.50 Iowa
http://www.gbnreport.com/2007wrs.htmlI think if Allen is indeed the top WR option in the draft that he will not last to pick 23.The players on this list that I have watched highlights on so far that I liked were Robert Woods, Aaron Dobson and Quinton Patton. I plan to look at the Tennessee players more in depth in coming days ahead.I think it is possible that one of these 3 WR I listed above may fall to the 2nd round and be an option for the Vikings without needing to move up to the end of the 1st round (or early 2nd round) to draft them. But the combine and other upcoming events may tell another story. There does seem to be some significant depth at the WR position just no clear and away prospect to justify a top 5 pick. Allen does seem to be the WR regarded the top WR by the most people ranking them at this point.The DT and DE from this draft class are also very deep but more top heavy in regards to how scouts are evaluating their talent level. So it may be the Vikings can draft one of the DTs perhaps as late as their 2nd round pick and still get a very good player. However based on what I have seen from mock drafts thus far more picks are being used on DTs in the 1st round than they are being used on WR. So that indicates that the Vikings may be maximizing the value of their picks by drafting a top DT at pick 23 before the talent level of the position drops from being picked over, or the Vikings having an interest in drafting a DT at the end of the run before that talent level at DT dries up.I liked a lot of what I saw from Ogletree. I am doubtful he will last past pick 15 however. I do think I agree with Andy that he may be BPA if he does fall to pick 23 however. There was a lot to like about his game and I expect he will be the top MLB taken in April.So I see more value in targeting WR with the Vikings 2nd round pick than I do their 1st. It would be easier and less expensive for the Vikings to try to trade up in the 2nd round (to somewhere in the teens) than it would be to trade up to the end of the 1st round for certain.

I'd love to go LB in the 1st and grab Terrance Williams one way or another in the 2nd (even if trade-up is needed). That's in addition to a FA WR.

Interesting Ponder discussion.Call me crazy, but I think the Vikes should jump on the pistol bandwagon. Mobility is one of Ponder's greatest strengths, and he is elusive in the open field. If they put him in some sort of Kaepernick role, who better to be back there with him than Peterson? And the fact that your receivers are not great makes me like this idea even more.Am I off my rocker here?

Interesting Ponder discussion.Call me crazy, but I think the Vikes should jump on the pistol bandwagon. Mobility is one of Ponder's greatest strengths, and he is elusive in the open field. If they put him in some sort of Kaepernick role, who better to be back there with him than Peterson? And the fact that your receivers are not great makes me like this idea even more.Am I off my rocker here?
I don't know if I'd call him elusive like Kaep or RGIII. I'd have to check and see if he ever ran that type of offense before. I do believe that they have been coaching him not to run out of the pocket except for the designed rollouts. I would like to see him improvise more.

I don't know if I'd call him elusive like Kaep or RGIII. I'd have to check and see if he ever ran that type of offense before.
He hasn't, but it doesn't mean he can't. He's a smart kid. All you have to do is read the defensive end.Just from having him on my fantasy teams the past couple of years, I was impressed with his athleticism and his ability to gain yards on the ground. He's certainly not in Griffin's or Kaepernick's league speed-wise, but I can't imagine Wilson would blow him away in a 40-yard dash, and he runs a similar scheme in Seattle.

While the Vikings were not that much using zone read they certainly did do some pistol and many formations where it would be a wishbone type look that a player would motion out. The Vikings did this a lot with Harvin while he was healthy and then in the 2nd Bears game the Vikings did a lot of 2FB runs that totally mirrored what SF ran on the Bears as well. It was pretty effective.In the Packers games Ponder was recognized as enough of a threat to run that they would have Matthews spy on Ponder to prevent him from making 1st downs that way.I do think the Vikings could add more of these aspects to their playbook in 2013. For all the criticism that Musgrave gets from fans I think he has a very deep play book and innovative play designs to create mismatches. I think the Vikings were looking for a lot more production from the TE2 position than they got in the passing game, partly because of Carlson being injured. Not sure if that will continue to be the plan or not. I have read conflicting opinions about how much money the Vikings could save by cutting Carlson. Some think they would save nothing, another report I saw indicated they could cut Carlson and only have a 1.2 mil cap hit. Hoping the latter is closer to correct than the former as I think Ellison is ready to take over that role in the offense as well as being a shift guy in the backfield. A all around Hback. His blocking was better than Carlsons and that is about all the Vikings asked Carlson to do besides mentoring the younger guys.

Keenan Allen would be a good complementary receiver to Harvin. Allen caught alot of screens and slant at Cal. He has enough size to catch the ball in traffic and has the ability to run after the catch. I think he fits well in the Vikings offense with Ponder's arm being what it is.

Rumor is the Vikings are interested in signing 38 year old Donald Driver! LOL! That will fix their WR problems! It doesn't make sense at all.....all this would do is stunt the growth of any young guys coming in.

Keenan Allen would be a good complementary receiver to Harvin. Allen caught alot of screens and slant at Cal. He has enough size to catch the ball in traffic and has the ability to run after the catch. I think he fits well in the Vikings offense with Ponder's arm being what it is.
As Allen has been almost always talked about as the 1st WR off the board I have kind of been working from the assumption that he will be gone before pick 23. I would prefer the Vikings to use their 1st round pick on defense as I think there are quality WR prospects that will be available at the Vikings 2nd round pick, while I do not see the same level of defensive prospects still being available in the 2nd round.As I mentioned before I like Quinton Patton because of his overall game and also because he is one of the few WR I have heard being touted for his blocking skills. With many of the other things being equal I would prefer the WR who is the best blocker. Patton may not make it to the Vikings at pick 52 but I see Woods rising in his ranking while Patton got some boost from the senior bowl I have only read a couple things suggesting he would rise to the 1st round.Here is todays CBS WR ranking-
12 *Keenan Allen WR 1 California Jr 6-3 210 120 *Cordarrelle Patterson WR 2 Tennessee Jr 6-3 205 135 *DeAndre Hopkins WR 3 Clemson Jr 6-1 200 1-238 Tavon Austin WR 4 West Virginia Sr 5-09 175 1-241 *Robert Woods WR 5 Southern California Jr 6-1 190 246 Terrance Williams WR 6 Baylor rSr 6-2 201 248 Aaron Dobson WR 7 Marshall Sr 6-3 203 252 Markus Wheaton WR 8 Oregon State Sr 5-11 183 255 Quinton Patton WR 9 Louisiana Tech rSr 6-0 202 265 *Justin Hunter WR 10 Tennessee Jr 6-4 200 2-3
This looks like the 3 I mentioned earlier in the thread have all risen some while Justin Hunter (who many were projectig to the Vikings at 23 early on) has fallen back to their 10 spot. I am pretty comfortable with any of the 5 2nd round prospects here and it does seem likely that at least one of these players is still available to the Vikings at pick 52.

They aren't though. Alex Smith IS a game manager. Ponder is a guy who might develop into an effective game manager. If Alex Smith is who we're hoping Ponder becomes, then it makes more sense to just get the guy who is already at that level.

I agree on taking a chance on a guy though. Vikings fans probably are scared of that due to the memory of TJack, but just because one attempt at a home run failed doesn't mean we shouldn't take more swings.
I am not sure it does. What is the purpose of that so we can lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs rather than the 1st? How much of Smith success can be attributed to the 49ers simply being a stronger overall team than the Vikings?Would Smith even want to come to the Vikings if he wasn't guaranteed to be the starter? He might prefer to go elsewhere with less competition.
Not to derail the thread but I hate this argument and its been popping up more and more these days. In a league that changes as fast as the NFL and playoff games that are going to OT and ending on FG's there is no such thing as a team or player that is good enough to get to one round of the playoffs but not the next. Players do not have "playoff ceilings".

A couple of months ago I assume that Manti Te'o wouldn't make it out of the top 10. Now he will be lucky to stay in the top 20. I have learned not too assume too much. The draft is fairly deep at WR and most teams might prefer to wait. I am not even sure whether Allen will even be the top WR in the draft. He might get outshined at the combine. It will be interesting if they get the choice between him and a defensive player. Patton looks like a good prospect but doesn't have the same skill set as Allen.
Another month goes by and the combine have changed my mind yet again. Te'o and Allen were prospects that people thought wouldn't fall to 23 in the draft. Personally I wouldnbe 't all that disappointed if the Vikings let both of them keep falling. I was disappointed that Keenan Allen measured in at 6'2" and 206. That is not exactly big by NFL standards. In fact, Hopkins was only 1" shorter and outweighed him. Allen still hasn't recovered fully from his injury and he won't hold his pro day until April 9th. I am not convinced that when Allen finally runs that he will run all that much faster than Hopkins. At this point, Olgetree wouldn't be a bad pick if the team feels that he can be trusted in the future.I also think Eric Reid would be a good pick for the Vikings. Viking don't classify their safeties in the traditional strong and free postions. They are expected to both roles on any given play. Vaccaro and Elam may be rated higher but the 6'1" Reid looks like a better fit for the Vikings.

Not to derail the thread but I hate this argument and its been popping up more and more these days. In a league that changes as fast as the NFL and playoff games that are going to OT and ending on FG's there is no such thing as a team or player that is good enough to get to one round of the playoffs but not the next. Players do not have "playoff ceilings".
My best argument is that the Vikings can save $7 M or so per year by not signing Alex Smith. Using the money to re-sign Harvin gets the Vikings much further now and in the future. IMO, Smith is not a huge upgrade people are making him out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread