What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL****Minnesota Vikings offseason thread (1 Viewer)

I don't get why some people want to replace Ponder with Smith if they are both game managers. We have Ponder now and his contract is reasonable. I give him another year to improve or implode.

That said, I still wouldn't mind if the Vikings swung for the fences with a boom/bust guy as this years backup. Too bad there is no Colin Kapernick type QBs in this draft. IMO Tyler Bray has the most potential of the QBs in this class dispite his bad reputation. Is the reward worth the risk? I remember how freaked out I was about Harvin's rep when the Vikings took a chance on him. Zac Dysert is a guy I initially was high on but I am now questioning whether he has the accuracy or pocket presence to excell at the next level.
They aren't though. Alex Smith IS a game manager. Ponder is a guy who might develop into an effective game manager. If Alex Smith is who we're hoping Ponder becomes, then it makes more sense to just get the guy who is already at that level.

I agree on taking a chance on a guy though. Vikings fans probably are scared of that due to the memory of TJack, but just because one attempt at a home run failed doesn't mean we shouldn't take more swings.
I am not sure it does. What is the purpose of that so we can lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs rather than the 1st? How much of Smith success can be attributed to the 49ers simply being a stronger overall team than the Vikings?Would Smith even want to come to the Vikings if he wasn't guaranteed to be the starter? He might prefer to go elsewhere with less competition.
Not to derail the thread but I hate this argument and its been popping up more and more these days. In a league that changes as fast as the NFL and playoff games that are going to OT and ending on FG's there is no such thing as a team or player that is good enough to get to one round of the playoffs but not the next. Players do not have "playoff ceilings".
My best argument is that the Vikings can save $7 M or so per year by not signing Alex Smith. Using the money to re-sign Harvin gets the Vikings much further now and in the future. IMO, Smith is not a huge upgrade people are making him out to be.
I totally agree, my issue was mostly with that type of argument rather than the specific one. I foresee Smith getting treated very similarly to what happened to Matt Flynn last year. He gets signed for way less than the media tells us he is worth and he competes in camp with whoever was the starter and whatever project rookie they bring in. I also get the sense that Harvin really doesn't want to stay in MIN

'Carl Eller said:
Rumor is the Vikings are interested in signing 38 year old Donald Driver! LOL! That will fix their WR problems! It doesn't make sense at all.....all this would do is stunt the growth of any young guys coming in.
Wasn't the source of this rumor a Fox station in Green Bay?Absolute BS. I'll consider believing it if a reporter with a bit of credibility/ history with the Vikes says it. Until then it sounds like some Packer homer of a sportscaster trying to make waves within the GB fanbase.

'Carl Eller said:
Rumor is the Vikings are interested in signing 38 year old Donald Driver! LOL! That will fix their WR problems! It doesn't make sense at all.....all this would do is stunt the growth of any young guys coming in.
Wasn't the source of this rumor a Fox station in Green Bay?Absolute BS. I'll consider believing it if a reporter with a bit of credibility/ history with the Vikes says it. Until then it sounds like some Packer homer of a sportscaster trying to make waves within the GB fanbase.
Yeah, I heard DD on Mike and Mike this morning and think any rumor like that is completely fabricated. He's always seemed like a classy guy to me and a hard Packer to dislike...just can't see him making waves with the GB fanbase that loves him by signing with a division rival.

I don't get why some people want to replace Ponder with Smith if they are both game managers. We have Ponder now and his contract is reasonable. I give him another year to improve or implode.

That said, I still wouldn't mind if the Vikings swung for the fences with a boom/bust guy as this years backup. Too bad there is no Colin Kapernick type QBs in this draft. IMO Tyler Bray has the most potential of the QBs in this class dispite his bad reputation. Is the reward worth the risk? I remember how freaked out I was about Harvin's rep when the Vikings took a chance on him. Zac Dysert is a guy I initially was high on but I am now questioning whether he has the accuracy or pocket presence to excell at the next level.
They aren't though. Alex Smith IS a game manager. Ponder is a guy who might develop into an effective game manager. If Alex Smith is who we're hoping Ponder becomes, then it makes more sense to just get the guy who is already at that level.

I agree on taking a chance on a guy though. Vikings fans probably are scared of that due to the memory of TJack, but just because one attempt at a home run failed doesn't mean we shouldn't take more swings.
I am not sure it does. What is the purpose of that so we can lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs rather than the 1st? How much of Smith success can be attributed to the 49ers simply being a stronger overall team than the Vikings?Would Smith even want to come to the Vikings if he wasn't guaranteed to be the starter? He might prefer to go elsewhere with less competition.
Not to derail the thread but I hate this argument and its been popping up more and more these days. In a league that changes as fast as the NFL and playoff games that are going to OT and ending on FG's there is no such thing as a team or player that is good enough to get to one round of the playoffs but not the next. Players do not have "playoff ceilings".
My best argument is that the Vikings can save $7 M or so per year by not signing Alex Smith. Using the money to re-sign Harvin gets the Vikings much further now and in the future. IMO, Smith is not a huge upgrade people are making him out to be.
I totally agree, my issue was mostly with that type of argument rather than the specific one. I foresee Smith getting treated very similarly to what happened to Matt Flynn last year. He gets signed for way less than the media tells us he is worth and he competes in camp with whoever was the starter and whatever project rookie they bring in.
Matt Flynn got a 3 year contract for 26 million last season. The Seahawks are now having trouble trading him because no other team wants to take on his contract. Alex Smith has proven a lot more than Flynn so I do not see how he will get less than this. That amount of money could be used to sign Harvin long term. For context Ponder is making 2.75 million a year for the next 2 seasons.

I liked this article from the Daily Norseman that looks at possible combinations of picks based on current CBS rookie rankings:

Vikings Mock using CBSSports.com Rankings By Josh_D on Feb 2, 3:44p 25My first idea was to take the overall rankings from CBSSports.com and the Vikings draft picks (23, 54, 85, 101, 119, 150, 199, & 215) and match the picks to the overall rankings. While fun at first, it lead to a mock full of RBs, CBs, and OTs which doesn't look as good as it might sound. So instead of going straight picks to rankings (#23 pick=#23 overall ranked prospect), I decided to pick players at or within 10 spots of the pick (#54 pick, choose any player ranked between 54-63). I don't know how up-to-date their rankings are, but its interesting to see where they rank guys and where they think they'll ultimately be taken. These guys may end up going several rounds up or down from where they are ranked, but if the NFL ranked 750 prospects just as CBSSports has, then this could be how the Vikings draft pans out:Round 1, Pick 23: Xavier Rhodes, CB Florida State (CBS overall ranking - #23) - This is the one straight pick to ranking pick I'll be keeping for this exercise because I would love it if he were to become a Viking. Cook and Rhodes have similar builds and skill sets and would make a great 1-2 CB combo for the Vikings D. Improves secondary depth and relieves some of the Vikings dependence on a healthy Winfield.Round 2, Pick 54: Quinton Patton, WR Louisiana Tech (CBS #55, CBS #54 is OT/OG Kyle Long) - Patton is one of those players, that while ranked 55th, could end up being picked much, much earlier. Getting him here is a steal both talent-wise and fit-wise. Patton could be a Day 1 starter at the split-end position.Round 3, Pick 85: Sylvester Williams, DT North Carolina (CBS #89, CBS #85 is CB Darius Slay) - Williams is a popular high round pick in most mock drafts because he is a bit of a freak athlete and is expected to test well at the combine. However, he isn't as good a pass rusher as he is a run stopper and that alone could push Williams down draft boards as interior pass rushers are more highly valued.Round 4, Pick 101: Jonathan Cyprien, S Florida International (CBS #102, CBS #101 is CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson) - Cyprien is a good looking prospect out of a small school. He has the speed/length to defend the deep ball, but may be best working downhill in the run game. Not elite at anything, but good at just about everything. would be a nice back-up plan if Sanford does leave in FA.Round 4, Pick 119: Vance McDonald, TE Rice (CBS #127, CBS #119 is OT Xavier Nixon) - McDonald might not be a traditional weapon for Ponder, but he is a big capable receiver as well as an in-line blocker. This is a move that challenges Carlson's spot as the 2nd TE possibly making him expendable sooner than later.Round 5, Pick 150: DeVonte Holloman, OLB South Carolina (CBS #152, CBS #150 is RB Kenjon Barner) - LB is a need big enough to warrant an earlier pick than this, but the way the rankings currently fall out over at CBS, the Vikings can get a big, speedy LB who can play in base and cover in nickel.Round 7, Pick 199: Vince Williams, ILB Florida State (CBS #205, CBS #199 is RB Rex Burkhead) - Vince showed up big at the Senior Bowl. He reminded me of EJ in his ability to get into the OL and stop the run, but he seemed better than EJ as a zone LB. Williams is very nimble for his size and his Senior Bowl week could elevate him by a few rounds.Round 7, Pick 215: Terrence Brown, CB Stanford (CBS #224, CBS #215 is FS Bradley McDonald) - Brown is a big, physical CB who probably came out a year early. He would add great depth to the secondary this late in the draft and while more of a special teams player year one, but could also work his way into the rotation before his freshman year is done.
I was a bit surprised that Sylvester Williams has dropped to the 3rd round in CBS overall list as I recall him being talked about as a possible 1st round pick and was in the top 5 of their rankings only 3 weeks or so ago. I do like the picks although I would prefer Ogletree in the 1st round to Xavier Rhodes if both were available.

I liked this article from the Daily Norseman that looks at possible combinations of picks based on current CBS rookie rankings:
It looks to me that the ranking were not adjusted for Senior Bowl performances. Cyprien, for example, is getting a lot of love from scouts now. Xavier Rhodes has to run a elite 40 to maintain his 1st round ranking.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me that the ranking were not adjusted for Senior Bowl performances. Cyprien, for example, is getting a lot of love from scouts now. Xavier Rhodes has to run a elite 40 to maintain his 1st round ranking.
Yes I have been noticing there is a lot of movement of rankings for prospects over the past 3 weeks. Players who once seemed like values in the 3rd or later rounds are getting buzz and moving up. Ctprien is one of those players, Floyd is the player I seen go up in rankings the most that I have noticed.Part of it is just my perspective as well, as I learn new players.I think there are 65 or more quality prospects available that could help the Vikings and I think they can get impact players at 23 52 and 83. The 3rd rounder may be a bit sketchy but I think there will still be a decent player there. What I was thinking to do is a all position draft using the Vikings picks. So for example a draft that shows the best WR available at each pick, another draft that takes the best LB available at each pick and so on for DT CB and safety. Then we could compare the value of these lists to each other and perhaps form a BVPA by position from the lists.I have been reading other teams mocks recently in the teens to get a better feel for what those teams may be targeting ahead of the Vikings pick. I think whatever the Vikings do they may need to commit their 1st or 2nd round pick to a LB. The talent is not as deep at this position as it is at DT and WR. I think there are still players to target at WR/DT in the 3rd round that are better prospects than the LB who will be left at pick 83 when all of the good LB prospects should all be gone.I was reading some stuff about Henderson and Brinkley. Both players players need be replaced but I guess Henderson was very solid in his tackling. So that is the argument made for keeping Henderson over Brinkley. Brinkley was too slow to keep the nickle LB spot and Henderson moved back into that role after week 11 or so. My main reasons for wanting to replace Henderson is because he is a liability in coverage and too easily fooled by play action. I would not be against keeping Henderson for the base defense but a LB who can take over the nickle with Greenway is badly needed.There are several quality safety prospects that should still be available at the Vikings 3rd and even 4th round picks I think. Hopefully the Vikings manage to re-sign Sanford but I would like to see a player better than Raymond pushing him for playing time.I like David Amerson a lot. I see him as perhaps a better value than Vaccaro who can still play both safety positions and CB. CBS currently has him ranked 68 so he may not last to pick 83.

There was some hint of this during the season and I also noticed in the Texan game that Peterson seemed to be in quite a bit of pain when they spelled him at the end with Gerhardt.

Adrian Peterson not only came within 9 yards of breaking Eric Dickerson's single-season rushing record in 2012 after having reconstructive knee surgery, but he also nearly made NFL history while playing with a sports hernia.Peterson, who underwent a surgical procedure on Thursday to repair an abdominal core muscle injury, or sports hernia, told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he initially was hurt in Week 10 against the Detroit Lions.That means that Peterson ran for 1,068 yards in seven games while playing in pain that he said reached a "10 on a scale of 10" during the Vikings' upset victory at Houston in Week 16. Peterson, who tore the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee on Dec. 24, 2011 at Washington, rushed for more than 100 yards in five of the six regular-season games after he suffered the sports hernia and had two games with more than 200 yards. He was held to under 100 yards against Houston but still managed to gain 86 yards on 25 carries.Peterson, who was named the NFL's MVP last weekend, was fortunate in that the Vikings had their bye after the Nov. 11 game against the Lions."After the bye week I didn't truly practice, not a week after that until the end of the season," Peterson told ESPN. "The only time I did do anything was pretty much on Fridays when I would just do a couple carries or so. Everybody knows that is our short day. I was getting rehab during this process. I knew I wasn't really practicing at all. I wasn't able to lift because of the strain that it would put on those muscles on an upper or lower body workout. That was too much."It was mind over matter. It was just about doing what I had to do to push myself every week. My body was sore from the game and the sports hernia every Monday, so I did what I had to do to recover and get my body right. I just played through the pain. I ran on adrenaline."Peterson's surgery was performed by Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia. The Vikings said in a statement that they expect Peterson to make a "speedy recovery with no long-term concerns."Peterson told ESPN the recovery will be about three to four weeks and that after that he should be able to workout again.Peterson finished the season with 2,097 yards, giving him the second best rushing season in NFL history. So how did the injury affect his chase of Eric Dickerson's mark set in 1984?"It definitely impacted my play," Peterson told ESPN. "I wasn't 100 percent, but I wanted to win a championship. I wasn't going to stop or quit. I made a decision to keep going. I don't want to make it seem like the sports hernia made me miss it. I could have done it with the injury. All I can say is that I would have had better performances."
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_Adrian_Peterson_undergoes_surgery_to_repair_sports_hernia020713If Peterson is fully healthy through 2014 what would you project for him? He clearly is saying he could have done more if the hernia was not holding him back. :eek:

He's probably going to be peeing in gallon jugs for a while- if the speculation was high before that he was taking something to get back from the ACL injury, he's really going to get pressure now.If he truly managed all this au naturel, the MVP award was well-deserved. Sorry Marshawn, the Beast tag may need to be reassigned...

The soap opera starring the Minnesota Vikings and Percy Harvin has yet to reach its climax. It's getting there, though.Harvin is entering the final year of his rookie deal, and there remains a great element of the unknown in regard to his future. There's no denying Harvin, 24, and Adrian Peterson can form the nucleus of an explosive offense, but keeping Harvin healthy and content has been another situation entirely.Vikings general manager Rick Spielman, speaking Friday with KFXN-FM in Minneapolis, isn't about to show his hand at this early stage."I'm not going to say what's going to happen this offseason, because he is going in to the last year of his contract," Spielman said, via ESPN.com. "But right now, where we're at, Percy Harvin is a member of this football team and he is a very good football player. We don't like to get rid of good football players." With the offseason officially under way, Around the League will examine what's next for all 32 teams. Asked if he wanted Harvin on the roster in 2013, Spielman replied: "We love Percy Harvin as a football player. Everybody sees what he does for our football team."Does that statement mean there are aspects of the Percy Harvin Experience that aren't easy to love?"Percy Harvin is a blue-chip player and he is a game-changer. In fact he was on track to be a potential MVP. We were very fortunate to have two players, and we had one that did win the MVP award (Peterson). So we're very fortunate to have two players of that caliber on our football team."So no, Spielman didn't provide much in the realm of insight. That said, his measured tone tells you just how delicate this situation is. Harvin can be a cornerstone player, or premium trade bait, or a potential problem child.Spielman is cautious because he has to be.Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137480/article/vikings-gm-plays-it-coy-on-future-of-percy-harvinIf you get a chance to listen to this interview with Spielman there are some interesting bits they discuss such as the John Carlson contract. He says that the idea behind signing Carlson was with the intent to run primarily a 2TE offense, but that the offense changed to a more traditional one with Felton at fullback. Spielman says Peterson gets 2-3 yards more a carry running behind a fullback. Then he says Carlson is still part of the teams plans while changing the subject to how well Ellison played last season before ultimately saying he won't discuss contract business about this.They also talk about the IR situation with Harvin.Spielman talks about Ponder and the progress he expects to see from him next season. He talks about some great throws Ponder made at the end of the season. For back up QB he just says they will look to bring in competition. He does not regret letting go Sage Rosenfels. He talks about Webb showing himself capable of winning games before and that is why he was our backup QB. Spielman did not seem to be committed to Webb as the back up. He does say having a good back up QB they can depend on to win games is critical to a teams success.They talk about Robert Woods and then mentions there are 6-7 WR all in the same range on thier draft board. Woods, Patterson, Hunter and Allen are 4 of those he mentions.Says that continuity on the offensive line is important and that he hopes to keep Loadholt. He then mentions Love and Kevin Murphy being a possible back up at RT if Loadholt is not signed. Not sure who Murphy is right now. I thought Kopog might be in the mix as well but perhaps he is RFA compensation pick bait, or viewed as back up LT.Sullivan jokes around about more Notre Dame players being drafted. Then says Teo would be a great player for the Vikings when asked by Paul Allen. Spielman talks about not judging Teo's career by just one game and that he wants to find out why he played poorly in that game. That there are questions that need to be answered.Talks about Greg Childs and says that he is more talented than a 4th round pick. That he is hopeful he will be able to recover from his injury and that he has been working hard in rehab. He also says he thinks the Vikings have the best medical staff in the NFL.

Sure is starting to seem like Harvin will be elsewhere next year. Not sure how I feel about that, as I am done with headcase WRs, but the dude is a lot of fun to watch. I'd love to see him traded to NE for their 1st and 3rd/4th or something like that...

I wouldn't like to see him traded anywhere. Even getting a first and a third puts the Vikings on the losing end of that deal. The first would have to be used to replace him with a lesser receiver(how did that work out last time?) and the third is a crapshoot so it could mean nothing. There are maybe 5 receivers in the whole league I would choose over Harvin right now and none of them are going to be traded for a malcontent Harvin, despite how good he is. However, if he really just doesn't want to play for Minnesota, then I suppose they really have no other options. If, however, his attitude originates from the fact that they haven't given him a contract worthy of his play, then they are idiots.

Absent some behind the curtain conspiracy, I don't see how the Vikes can be faulted for handling of Harvin. He wasn't going to get a redo last offseason with 2 years left. Even if he was Calvin Johnson... which he's not. End of story. Love him as a player but the preseason tirade combined with the midseason controversy makes me willing to have the Vikes take what they can get for him, or stick to their guns and let him cry a river in street clothes. I am not saying everyone has to be choir boys but his hiding under a rock when his teammates were trying to contend for playoffs really spoke volumes for me. I'll take a guy who is 75% me/25% team. This guy is 0% team from all appearances and that's a huge problem given the amount of $ he's likely demanding. If it's true he was IR'd because of some juvenile rant directed at Frazier, how in the world can they back up the Brink truck? What if he gets his cash and is still a big baby about Ponder and/or the offense? Vikes need tons of help in terms of *normal* WRs, and paying a slot guy like Harvin in excess of $10 mil a year, then possibly having him flake out, would be catastrophic.

I wouldn't like to see him traded anywhere. Even getting a first and a third puts the Vikings on the losing end of that deal. The first would have to be used to replace him with a lesser receiver(how did that work out last time?) and the third is a crapshoot so it could mean nothing. There are maybe 5 receivers in the whole league I would choose over Harvin right now and none of them are going to be traded for a malcontent Harvin, despite how good he is. However, if he really just doesn't want to play for Minnesota, then I suppose they really have no other options. If, however, his attitude originates from the fact that they haven't given him a contract worthy of his play, then they are idiots.
If they trade Harvin for picks then I expect they'd also have plans to grab one of the top FA WR..It sounds more and more like Ponder is going to be the starting QB next year and the GM has already said they need to get him some better targets. If they do go after a top WR, then getting 2 or 3 picks for someone who doesn't seem to want to be here is a win. :popcorn:

If they trade Harvin for picks then I expect they'd also have plans to grab one of the top FA WR..It sounds more and more like Ponder is going to be the starting QB next year and the GM has already said they need to get him some better targets. If they do go after a top WR, then getting 2 or 3 picks for someone who doesn't seem to want to be here is a win. :popcorn:
At least from a salary cap perspective it would hurt the Vikings some other part of the team to pay Harvin what he is asking. I have heard 10 million a year is what he is looking for. The Vikings will likely be able to pay a lot less than that for a FA WR but we shall see.It is still a step backwards no matter how you slice it. The Vikings will need a kick returner a WR and a COP RB to replace what Harvin does for them.

So I decided to watch the last 4 games again. Just watched the Bears game and a few things stood out.Jarius Wright runs a couple of the misdirection routes where he motions to the back field but then runs out on a pattern. He does a pretty good job on these plays although not the explosive threat that Harvin is in this role. The Vikings played Felton, Ellison,Rudolph and Carlson, so 4TE/FB for a lot of the time is perhaps why Wright didn't see more action once the Vikings established a lead.Mike Jenkins made some very clutch catches to convert 1st downs. He mostly just runs the slant or a comeback underneath another route. Granted the Bears did not have Tim Jennings which certainly helped, but Jenkins made some good catches in those situations.On defense Brinkley had 3 passes defensed that I saw. One of them hit him in the back but hey he was in the right place and that was chasing pretty deep downfield. He also made some key tackles and generally I would be happy with coverage play like Brinkley showed in this game. I do not think he covered like this all season, but he did a good job in this game.Ponder's mechanics when throwing the ball are really akward on several of his throws are very off because of it. He shows good awareness of the pass rush running away from Julius Peppers who came over to take a turnstile at Fusco, which many of the Bears were doing this game. Fusco looked bad enough this game that Charlie Johnson seemed ok by comparison.The 2 interceptions from Harrison (who also almost had a sack) and Robinson for the most part won this game. The 2nd half had some pretty good special teams plays pinning the opposing offense inside the 5 yard line. Jamarca Sanford tipped the ball back out of the end zone for the Vikings. Sanford also forced another punt inside the 10 because his coverage is so damn fast from gunner. I did actually see Carlson make a couple nice blocks in this game. He even had a catch. I do not think Carlson is worth his contract but the savings looks to only be 1.2 million either way. So they may just keep him and run this formation more.Seems like Felton deserves the money Carlson is getting more. If he does re-sign (hopefully) for around 3 million/year I have heard suggested, then the Vikings will have more tied up at the position than is ideal. Carlson would be a 2 million savings in 2014 if he does not make an impact in 2013.

At least from a salary cap perspective it would hurt the Vikings some other part of the team to pay Harvin what he is asking. I have heard 10 million a year is what he is looking for. The Vikings will likely be able to pay a lot less than that for a FA WR but we shall see.It is still a step backwards no matter how you slice it. The Vikings will need a kick returner a WR and a COP RB to replace what Harvin does for them.
If- and it's a pretty big if- Childs makes it back, I think he was always supposed to be the return guy.What about trading Harvin to the Cowboys? They're over cap and have given a hell of a lot for the likes of Roy Williams...maybe Harris+Orton+picks for Harvin? Maybe they could interest them in Gerhart as well given Murray's injury history.

If- and it's a pretty big if- Childs makes it back, I think he was always supposed to be the return guy.
Really? I thought Childs came as the prototypical 6'3" receiver and Jarius Wright came as the smaller guy more suited for a return role?

If- and it's a pretty big if- Childs makes it back, I think he was always supposed to be the return guy.
Really? I thought Childs came as the prototypical 6'3" receiver and Jarius Wright came as the smaller guy more suited for a return role?
I guess I got Childs and Burton confused...just as long as they move on from Sherels, because he's "just a guy". I don't think they even used Wright as a return guy last year either.

'The Kuhn said:
What about trading Harvin to the Cowboys? They're over cap and have given a hell of a lot for the likes of Roy Williams...maybe Harris+Orton+picks for Harvin? Maybe they could interest them in Gerhart as well given Murray's injury history.
Are you nuts? I rather let Harvin play out his contract and walk in 2014 than get 3 borderline players for him.

I loved what Peterson had to say about Harvin in the press today so I think its worth repeating-

Adrian Peterson was a guest on KFAN today, and he had some interesting things to say about Percy Harvin:

"To be honest with you, I don't know if we will or not. But me, individually, and giving you my opinion, I wouldn't trade him for nothing."

"To do the the things that he's able to do, I don't think there will be a player able to do it better than him. Ever."

"I haven't really had the opportunity to talk to him much. But I always look at what you can get from a person, and I know it comes with, 'OK, you gotta deal with this, or deal with that,' but I always feel like that person can overcome whatever it is that they might be struggling with."

So it's clear where AP stands, which might be the most persuasive argument for the Vikings mending fences with Harvin. This is your best offensive player saying you should keep your second-best offensive player. If both are happily playing for you, things are good. If one (or neither) is happily playing for you, that's not good.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/190933401.htmlI agree with Peterson. I have not seen a player quite as good as Harvin is at making defenders miss, he has Barry Sanders like elusiveness with the ball.

Despite that if Harvin does not want to be on the same team as AD the Vikings will move on with Jarius Wright who has shown he can fill Harvins role although at a lower level than what Harvin is capable of.

I would love to see Harvin stay a Viking but if not the Vikings should be able to get something similar to 1st round value for him in trade. I think just about any team would rather have Harvin than any player they could pick in this draft.

I just had a kind of entertaining thought about the Harvin situation.I got from the Spielman interview that he enjoys trading. He talked about how leading into the Nfl draft is the few times during the year that teams are very actively making trade offers and that those offers usually involve draft picks where teams are targeting certain players they think will be available with those picks.Well putting Harvin out there likely has a lot of the other teams attention. This is likely leading to a lot of useful information for Spielman about what teams are willing to give up that they might not suggest if not for Harvin being available.So what if Spielman is just floating this out there to listen to other teams offers which could lead to other trade opportunities come draft day even if the Vikings do work something out and end up keeping Harvin.

'The Kuhn said:
What about trading Harvin to the Cowboys? They're over cap and have given a hell of a lot for the likes of Roy Williams...maybe Harris+Orton+picks for Harvin? Maybe they could interest them in Gerhart as well given Murray's injury history.
Are you nuts? I rather let Harvin play out his contract and walk in 2014 than get 3 borderline players for him.
Dallas gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 6th for Roy. Harvin looks like a holdout, so if a steal of a deal presents itself, the cap money could still be used to sign a quality WR and load up on picks or sleepers. If the organization doesn't want to commit to him, I'd rather him go now for top shelf value as they need to contend now. If Harvin has a year like Sidney Rice had in his last year, it's not really helping.I'll give you that Orton would be a throw-in, but I think continuing with Webb as the primary backup is a mistake, and Harris is a return guy and WR who is entering his 3rd year.

'The Kuhn said:
'The Kuhn said:
Dallas gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 6th for Roy. Harvin looks like a holdout, so if a steal of a deal presents itself, the cap money could still be used to sign a quality WR and load up on picks or sleepers. If the organization doesn't want to commit to him, I'd rather him go now for top shelf value as they need to contend now. If Harvin has a year like Sidney Rice had in his last year, it's not really helping.I'll give you that Orton would be a throw-in, but I think continuing with Webb as the primary backup is a mistake, and Harris is a return guy and WR who is entering his 3rd year.
Harvin might holdout of training camp but I have no doubt that will have to show up for the regular season. If he doesn't he really hurts himself more than the team. He has to show his future team that he in shape and ready to contribute if he wants the $10 M per year contract he is currently seeking. Harris is older than Harvin and still hasn't shown much of anything. Vikings could sign Matt Moore if they want a capable back up QB. They don't need to trade for Orton. As Pellesero has said, trading for Harvin is double jeopardy for teams. A high draft pick plus the huge contract. Even Jerry Jones wouldn't give up a 1st for him.

PA- made me think about this little.. Say Percy was traded to NE for 1st and 3rd, if Vikings pickup 2 of 3 Patterson, Allen and Hunter well having extra 3rd (From NE) and 4th (From Det) would that be effective way have replacing Percy and upgrading our WR core. Allen, Hunter, Wright and Kyle ?

IMO, the talking heads on KFAN and anyone else that thinks the Vikings end up getting a 1st for Harvin are off base. In theory sure, giving up the unknown commodity of a 1st for a player of Harvin's calibur is a no brainer. But when you're going to have to pony up $10MM+ per year for Harvin immediately, I don't see any teams taking that plunge. If the Vikes trade Harvin, I think they end up with a 2nd rounder plus something at best.

IMO, the talking heads on KFAN and anyone else that thinks the Vikings end up getting a 1st for Harvin are off base. In theory sure, giving up the unknown commodity of a 1st for a player of Harvin's calibur is a no brainer. But when you're going to have to pony up $10MM+ per year for Harvin immediately, I don't see any teams taking that plunge. If the Vikes trade Harvin, I think they end up with a 2nd rounder plus something at best.
Even 2nd and 4th would be plenty of Ammo to get back in to 1st round... Or early 2nd to nab 2 of 3 above.

'Donnybrook said:
Jon Bostic had a good combine and could be a nice sleeper for the Vikings. Jon Bostic Draft Profile - NFL.com
Isn't there a Jon Bostic in every draft? Or am I just having deja vu? That name seems so familiar. :confused: I am not very excited about this guy based on his write up but he still may be better than Henderson/Brinkley.I was surprised to see Brown graded higher than both Jones and Ogletree. From what I have been reading Brown is always mentioned as a top LB to consider but never as the best overall until now.How would people feel about the Vikings drafting Artur Brown with the Vikings 23rd pick? Until now I have been getting the sense that it would be a reach to pick Brown there but that he is too good to expect to last until the Vikings 2nd round pick. I went over all of the grades of players at every position. Arthur Brown is their 12 highest graded player in this draft and the last of 12 players graded above 90.There are 64 players graded above 80. 19 of those players are defensive linemen. Only 4 LB are graded above 80.I think the Vikings need to get one of these 4 LB with their 1st round pick because they are not likely to be available in the 2nd round while the Vikings can get startable players at DT and WR later in the draft.I will try to look more into Bostic later on though. If the Vikings could find a good LB in the 4th round that would be better than I can see the situation playing out.I would like the Vikings to pursue Phillip Wheeler in free agency. From what the Raiders fans say however he is a top priority for them to re-sign, so I do not know if he will be available. I did not see any other FA LB who would fit the Vikings defense better than Henderson/Brinkley.

Almost every year someone ends up falling to the early-mid 20s(or later) that should've been a top 10-15 pick or higher. Janoris Jenkins, David DeCastro, Percy Harvin, Clay Matthews, etc. etc.I would much rather have the Vikings pick up the guy that everyone is passing over for some stupid reason or another and get a potential top 10 talent with that 23rd pick. This year it very well might be Alec Ogletree. If it is, then that's a huge boon for the Vikings because it also fills a position of need. But let's say that Star Lotuleilei still hasn't resolved his issue come April and teams are scared of him so he falls hard. I would much rather have the team grab a top 3 talent than pick up a guy like Te'o or Brown just because they fill a position of need. It would be preferable(to me) for the Vikings to sign potential starters in FA and use the draft to improve on already filled positions.

......I think if Allen is indeed the top WR option in the draft that he will not last to pick 23.The players on this list that I have watched highlights on so far that I liked were Robert Woods, Aaron Dobson and Quinton Patton. I plan to look at the Tennessee players more in depth in coming days ahead.I think it is possible that one of these 3 WR I listed above may fall to the 2nd round and be an option for the Vikings without needing to move up to the end of the 1st round (or early 2nd round) to draft them. But the combine and other upcoming events may tell another story. There does seem to be some significant depth at the WR position just no clear and away prospect to justify a top 5 pick. Allen does seem to be the WR regarded the top WR by the most people ranking them at this point.The DT and DE from this draft class are also very deep but more top heavy in regards to how scouts are evaluating their talent level. So it may be the Vikings can draft one of the DTs perhaps as late as their 2nd round pick and still get a very good player. However based on what I have seen from mock drafts thus far more picks are being used on DTs in the 1st round than they are being used on WR. So that indicates that the Vikings may be maximizing the value of their picks by drafting a top DT at pick 23 before the talent level of the position drops from being picked over, or the Vikings having an interest in drafting a DT at the end of the run before that talent level at DT dries up.I liked a lot of what I saw from Ogletree. I am doubtful he will last past pick 15 however. I do think I agree with Andy that he may be BPA if he does fall to pick 23 however. There was a lot to like about his game and I expect he will be the top MLB taken in April.So I see more value in targeting WR with the Vikings 2nd round pick than I do their 1st. It would be easier and less expensive for the Vikings to try to trade up in the 2nd round (to somewhere in the teens) than it would be to trade up to the end of the 1st round for certain.
Another month goes by and the combine have changed my mind yet again. Te'o and Allen were prospects that people thought wouldn't fall to 23 in the draft. Personally I wouldnbe 't all that disappointed if the Vikings let both of them keep falling. I was disappointed that Keenan Allen measured in at 6'2" and 206. That is not exactly big by NFL standards. In fact, Hopkins was only 1" shorter and outweighed him. Allen still hasn't recovered fully from his injury and he won't hold his pro day until April 9th. I am not convinced that when Allen finally runs that he will run all that much faster than Hopkins. At this point, Olgetree wouldn't be a bad pick if the team feels that he can be trusted in the future.I also think Eric Reid would be a good pick for the Vikings. Viking don't classify their safeties in the traditional strong and free postions. They are expected to both roles on any given play. Vaccaro and Elam may be rated higher but the 6'1" Reid looks like a better fit for the Vikings.

Matt Cassell as the backup QB ??... With Frasier and the GM stating Ponder is the defacto #1, but they will look to bring in competition for the #2 ... :popcorn:

......I think if Allen is indeed the top WR option in the draft that he will not last to pick 23.The players on this list that I have watched highlights on so far that I liked were Robert Woods, Aaron Dobson and Quinton Patton. I plan to look at the Tennessee players more in depth in coming days ahead.I think it is possible that one of these 3 WR I listed above may fall to the 2nd round and be an option for the Vikings without needing to move up to the end of the 1st round (or early 2nd round) to draft them. But the combine and other upcoming events may tell another story. There does seem to be some significant depth at the WR position just no clear and away prospect to justify a top 5 pick. Allen does seem to be the WR regarded the top WR by the most people ranking them at this point.The DT and DE from this draft class are also very deep but more top heavy in regards to how scouts are evaluating their talent level. So it may be the Vikings can draft one of the DTs perhaps as late as their 2nd round pick and still get a very good player. However based on what I have seen from mock drafts thus far more picks are being used on DTs in the 1st round than they are being used on WR. So that indicates that the Vikings may be maximizing the value of their picks by drafting a top DT at pick 23 before the talent level of the position drops from being picked over, or the Vikings having an interest in drafting a DT at the end of the run before that talent level at DT dries up.I liked a lot of what I saw from Ogletree. I am doubtful he will last past pick 15 however. I do think I agree with Andy that he may be BPA if he does fall to pick 23 however. There was a lot to like about his game and I expect he will be the top MLB taken in April.So I see more value in targeting WR with the Vikings 2nd round pick than I do their 1st. It would be easier and less expensive for the Vikings to try to trade up in the 2nd round (to somewhere in the teens) than it would be to trade up to the end of the 1st round for certain.
Another month goes by and the combine have changed my mind yet again. Te'o and Allen were prospects that people thought wouldn't fall to 23 in the draft. Personally I wouldnbe 't all that disappointed if the Vikings let both of them keep falling. I was disappointed that Keenan Allen measured in at 6'2" and 206. That is not exactly big by NFL standards. In fact, Hopkins was only 1" shorter and outweighed him. Allen still hasn't recovered fully from his injury and he won't hold his pro day until April 9th. I am not convinced that when Allen finally runs that he will run all that much faster than Hopkins. At this point, Olgetree wouldn't be a bad pick if the team feels that he can be trusted in the future.I also think Eric Reid would be a good pick for the Vikings. Viking don't classify their safeties in the traditional strong and free postions. They are expected to both roles on any given play. Vaccaro and Elam may be rated higher but the 6'1" Reid looks like a better fit for the Vikings.
I have to agree with you on Teo. He did not perform very well in the combine and I just do not have confidence in him as the Vikings 1st round pick. As a 2nd round pick I think he is worth consideration. Of the LB I like Brown and Ogletree. I think Minter is alright also but from what I watched of him he seemed to hide behind his linemen a lot and not take on blocks well when he couldn't. I did not see him doing much in coverage either.Sio Moore and Khaseem Greene seem like the only other LB worth targeting although there is likely some guys I missed. I do not think Allen will be a choice the Vikings will have to consider but I agree with you that Hopkins is a similar quality receiver. I may like Hopkins better than Allen by the time the draft rolls out. To me they are close. Both are polished and should be successful in the Nfl. This is mainly why I am against going WR with the 23rd pick because I think there are enough WR for the Vikings to still get a good one, possibly 2 later in the draft. There are 7-8 quality safety prospects in this draft. Vaccaro, Reid, Elam, Rambo, Swearinger, Cyprien, Shamarko Thomas and David Amerson (who is a CB but some project him to S). I think the Vikings might be able to get a good one in the 4th round possibly. I do hope they re-sign Sanford and try to get one of the last of these guys on the board.

For the love of all that is holy pay the fcking man! A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.It's not Harvin's fault that Ponder can't make all the throws and likely never will. Imagine what Harvin could do with even a mid-level QB. Think Wes Welker in Miami.

I am actually somewhat optimistic that Harvin signs a new deal with the Vikings. All of those stones have not been turned yet but in the end I hope the Vikings do manage to keep him long term.I read this yesterday but still laughing about today so thought I would share the source of my amusement-

A football team will have a hard time being considered "tough" with a below-average running game and a struggling defense. People see the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers putting up points with a bevy of receivers and equate that to a finesse program.Coach Mike McCarthy takes offense every time that's suggested."To me, we're a physical, tough football team," McCarthy said at the NFL Scouting combine, via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "I totally disagree. I don't know how you can put the tape on and say the Green Bay Packers aren't physical."We beat the Pittsburgh Steelers (in the Super Bowl), and they're known as one of the most physical football teams of the last couple decades."You can't win 47 regular-season games over the last four years without being physical to a point. But there have been defensive issues, particularly tackling, the last two years that speak directly to the topic.The Packers aren't pushovers, but they're not the San Francisco 49ers or Seattle Seahawks either."How do we play any different from the approach, the identity today that we did in 2010?" McCarthy said. "How do you swing that far? You don't go from here to here."Now, there's spots in our play, and I really don't want to get into this because I haven't with the team yet, that we need to eliminate. As far as being physical, tough."Improvements at the line of scrimmage, where the offensive line had its issues and the run defense ranked No. 17, would likely address some of that talk.Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145667/article/mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-physical-teamTranslation - The defense got manhandled because too much of our team is focused on the passing game and stopping the passing game. The Packers do not match up well against physical teams like the 49ers and Vikings.I love the Vikings being a running team in todays Nfl.

Whick Vikings free agents do you want them to re-sign?My list: Phil Loadholt, Jasper Brinkley, Jamarca Sandford, and Jerome Simpson. The list should proably include Jerome Felton but his price might have jumper up recently.

Whick Vikings free agents do you want them to re-sign?My list: Phil Loadholt, Jasper Brinkley, Jamarca Sandford, and Jerome Simpson. The list should proably include Jerome Felton but his price might have jumper up recently.
Sounds about right, although Felton can't be too picky since there aren't a ton of teams that use a true FB anymore.

Sounds about right, although Felton can't be too picky since there aren't a ton of teams that use a true FB anymore.
I think Felton will be back with a contract something like 2-3 million a year. The Vikings can afford this for now and pay for it by cutting Carlson in 2014.There are a few free agent tackles that are better than Loadholt available on the market. So hopefully that means the Vikings re-sign him as the big money goes to these players instead of Loadholt. That is my hope anyways.Brinkley should get a show me 1 year deal. Sanford I would like to see signed longer term.Other guys I would like to see the Vikings bring back are Berger and/or Shwartz. Unless the Vikings plan on taking C/G/T Jones in the draft, he is someone the Vikings should consider 3rd round if still available. I doubt he will be and WR a bigger priority in the 2nd round.

@AdamSchefterBefore having to pay his bonus in March, the Vikings released veteran WR Michael Jenkins.@TomPelisseroCutting Michael Jenkins frees up another $3.25M in cap space. I have Vikings about $17.5M under.

@AdamSchefterBefore having to pay his bonus in March, the Vikings released veteran WR Michael Jenkins.@TomPelisseroCutting Michael Jenkins frees up another $3.25M in cap space. I have Vikings about $17.5M under.
Not surprised, but down the stretch he did make quite a few clutch catches for the team.

What will they do with that cap room? What do you guys want them to do?
Sign OLB Phillip Wheeler to more than he is worth.Actually scratch that. Give Harvin and Loadholt what they want. If there is enough money left after that then pay Wheeler too much.The Vikings really should cut Guion and save a few million there as well. Evans clearly outplayed him and the Vikings should be adding at least one DT in the draft.

This is interesting. If the Vikings do pursue Wallace do they have the cap space to also resign Harvin or does that mean he's gone?Dolphins expect competition from Vikings and Steelers for Wallaces services:http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story/0ap1000000147334/article/mike-wallace-not-greg-jennings-miami-dolphins-biggest-target
I would guess that if they make a play for Wallace, then they have a plan to trade Harvin.

From what I have gathered the top WR FA will be getting some pretty big contracts, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 million a year like the contract Bowe just got. That kind of cap hit is something like 8% of a teams entire space available, so that player needs to be very productive to justify the contract.

No team can really afford to pay 2WR this kind of money. The Dolphins could because they have over 40 million in cap space and will need to spend over 30 of it somewhere. If the Vikings signed a WR such as Wallace or Jennings to a big contract that means they would only have about 7 million left in cap space which would not be enough to sign Harvin.

If the Vikings do spend big money at WR this season my hope is that money is spent on Harvin because he is better than all of the other options.

For the Vikings to be able to have enough money for Harvin and a FA like Wallace would mean cutting/trading Winfield, Brian Robinson or Jared Allen in order to make it work cap wise.

Something must be done about the 3 DE Allen, Robinson and Griffen who are all in the last years of their contracts. The Vikings will be keeping money in reserve for this purpose.

Loadholt will likely get over 5 million a year I think so that needs to be considered as well.

Remember that agents are the ones driving a lot of stories about players right now so take all of that with the skepticism it deserves.

They did make an effort to get Garçon last year...weren't willing to spend as much as the Redskins but did make some effort, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they spent the money on Wallace. If they could get a decent pick for Harvin, then it would be like getting two WRs "for the price of one" so to speak...not saying I agree but could be the plan.

Saw Tony Parker in a suit and tie, engaged in a meaningless NBA regular season game on the Spurs bench last night as he recovers from injury. Made me think of Harvin not being there for the team as he rehabbed in FL during the 2012 season and wasn't on the sideline for games.

If Harvin was drafted by NE I believe he would've been resigned before his rookie deal was up ala Gronk and Hernandez. Yes he's missed some time but does anybody not named AD play harder or more physically? I do not want to see him on another team.

Users who are viewing this thread