What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official ***Philadelphia v. Atlanta Week 1 Kickoff Game Thread*** (4 Viewers)

so they said they will be interviewing the stars of the game right? Curious who that is going to be....

Didn't think so...defender stood his ground...was barely moving, and the contact itself was both mild and brief.. That isn't called 75% of the time, 99% in the waning moments of a tight game
Unless the ref waits to watch matty ice's final attempt pass sail out of the back of the end zone, nowhere near an ATL player, before pulling his flag.

Ryan is the opposite of clutch.  how the funk do you have 5 throws and give your receivers ZERO chance to catch one

Cut the chump now.  he's just gonna delay any success ATL might have in the future.

Ryan is the opposite of clutch.  how the funk do you have 5 throws and give your receivers ZERO chance to catch one

Cut the chump now.  he's just gonna delay any success ATL might have in the future.
Teams were desperate for Kirk Cousins this offseason......The Matural isn’t going anywhere. 

Teams were desperate for Kirk Cousins this offseason......The Matural isn’t going anywhere. 
Cousins at least has balls...and some brains.  No top QB would throw 5 balls at the end of a game without giving their receivers a chance to catch one of them.

Matt Ryan is who we thought he was...a QB with zero heart or faith in his teammates.

Of note, if the Falcons had kicked the FG on their first possession, a FG would have tied it at the end.
This is not necessarily true. One significant factor in favor of going for the TD on the first possession is field position. The Falcons got the ball back on their second possession in very good position which contributed to their FG on that drive. If they kick the FG on drive #1, it is not a given that they get another on drive #2. That said, I thought it was a bad decision by Quinn—you go ahead and take the lead on that first drive.

Wow ... not at all what I expected to see last night. Same Falcons offense as last year. Really thought they would click this second year under a new OC.

They were pathetic. Seemed half of Ryans passes were behind or just over the line of scrimmage.

Other than Julio, were there no options down the field?

Run game stunk for the most part and the O-line couldn't slow down a cheerleader. 

Amazing how this offense was so much better with a different OC 2 years ago. 

Ryan is bad.  Atlanta is done.  How can any QB have Julio and still be terrible?  Its not like the supporting cast are bums either.  Sanu is solid and Ridley got lots of praise.  The RBs are good. 

For those of us that waited on QB in our drafts and settled on Ryan, it is time to go with plan B.   

Wow ... not at all what I expected to see last night. Same Falcons offense as last year. Really thought they would click this second year under a new OC.

They were pathetic. Seemed half of Ryans passes were behind or just over the line of scrimmage.

Other than Julio, were there no options down the field?

Run game stunk for the most part and the O-line couldn't slow down a cheerleader. 

One guy was a good OC.  The other is a moron.  This is 100% what I expected (again) this year.

Elevencents said:
19 targets for Julio? JFC
Not sure what it is but Ryan rarely can look anywhere else it seems. On the last drive at the goal line he went to Julio under the goalpost with 2/3 guys on him. In the meantime Sanu just to his right had setup the DB and was making an inside post slant where he would have had great one-on-one position on and Ryan never even looked there.

Not sure what it is but Ryan rarely can look anywhere else it seems. On the last drive at the goal line he went to Julio under the goalpost with 2/3 guys on him. In the meantime Sanu just to his right had setup the DB and was making an inside post slant where he would have had great one-on-one position on and Ryan never even looked there.
It does seem that way.  Good for Julio owners.  Bad for owners of other ATL WRs or TE.  Bad for Falcon fans since one dimensional football normally does not equal wins. 

It seems like Ryan does not make the catches easy for Julio in the endzone.  Julio is always jumping, twisting, turning, bending in really awkward positions while struggling to stay in bounds.     

Was playing the owner of Julio last night so I guess it could have been worse after seeing that horrible miscall. I only watched the first half. But it’s one of those games where you’re like “You know you have other receivers, right?!”. 

Ryan just doesn't seem to have that "fire" "passion" or leadership quality that other top QB's have. His facial expressions don't project confidence. That's what I see. He's a good QB but not next level. I was actually targeting him this year. I think a lot of us assumed Ridley would come right out of the gates and be good. They may still get it going and it is just the first week of the season after not playing a lot in the preseason. 

He could have had 300 yards. Had a 52 yarder wrongly called not a catch and Ryan missed him several times. 

Julio was the best player on the field by far last every night. 
FTFY. If he'd had a Brees or Rivers at QB and an even halfway competent series of OCs, Julio would have already compiled lock-HOF numbers with 3-4 productive years left in his career. AB and OBJ are better technicians, but he's the best pure athlete playing the position in the game today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex P Keaton said:
One guy was a good OC.  The other is a moron.  This is 100% what I expected (again) this year.
I particularly loved the call on 3rd and goal from the 1 where he brought in 3 TEs and then split two of them out wide.  Brilliant. 

Maybe just keep Julio in and have him as an option out wide?  Just a thought. 

GroveDiesel said:
Of note, if the Falcons had kicked the FG on their first possession, a FG would have tied it at the end.
And the Eagles would have received a kickoff instead of starting the ensuing drive on their own 2, and the game would have unfolded completely differently than it did. 

So no, unlikely a FG would have tied it at the end.

ATL seemed so poorly coached. So many dumb penalties it was ridiculous. 

Very first play of the game is a false start ... and it didn't get much better after that.

... and I'm starting to realize that Matty Ice is a bit of a moron.

Final drive, 110 precious seconds left on the clock, Matty takes a sack. Clock runs, loss of yards, etc.

3 plays later, 55 seconds to go, Matty "Ice" takes another sack, another 20 seconds runs off the clock. Jebus ... THROW IT AWAY!

End of the game, 4th down and goal, he sails the throw out the back of the end zone. IT'S 4TH DOWN. THIS IS WHEN HE CHOOSES TO THROW IT AWAY TO AVOID A SACK?! 

This is play you would expect from a rookie ... not a 10 year vet.

INT there would have been the same result. Doesn't even give his players a chance to make a play.

They were bailed out by a defensive penalty there and Matty Ice STILL couldn't throw a ball that could be caught in bounds. 

ATL would have had 3 more chances at it if the dumb fart would have thrown the ball away instead of being sacked one of those two times.

So much talent on that team to be wasted by what appears to be poor coaching and no situational awareness by the QB.

Bossman said:

Clearly the retirement of Jacob Tamme hit that squad a lot harder than anyone on the outside could have imagined.

:P

... and I'm starting to realize that Matty Ice is a bit of a moron.
I've hung with him a few times.  He is far, far, far from a moron.  He's quite intelligent.  

That being said, he looked bad last night.

The Falcons playbook looks putrid ever since Sarkisian took over.  Shanahan for all the awful plays he called in Q4 of the Super Bowl utilized players not named Julio Jones much better.  Especially the RBs.

Heard a stat today that of the last 20 red zone downs for the Falcons, Julio Jones has only been targeted once. Ridiculous if true.

Edit: the stat may be that of the last 20 attempts to Jones in the red zone, he's only had one reception. But still...

Last edited by a moderator:
DocHolliday said:
Ryan is bad.  Atlanta is done.  How can any QB have Julio and still be terrible?  Its not like the supporting cast are bums either.  Sanu is solid and Ridley got lots of praise.  The RBs are good. 

For those of us that waited on QB in our drafts and settled on Ryan, it is time to go with plan B.   
I don't think Atlanta is as bad as you think.  They put up 12 points (Could have easily been 20) vs a top 3 NFL defense, on the road, a dome team on a soaked field, in the first game of the year.  I think they bounce back and put up a bunch of points next week at home.

I've hung with him a few times.  He is far, far, far from a moron.  He's quite intelligent.  

That being said, he looked bad last night.

The Falcons playbook looks putrid ever since Sarkisian took over.  Shanahan for all the awful plays he called in Q4 of the Super Bowl utilized players not named Julio Jones much better.  Especially the RBs.
it is a 1 game sample so i am open to giving Matty Ice another week or 2 to see where he is at. He looked horrible, but he has always played badly in Philadelphia (1-5 now). Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but maybe

and man, i have to think Quinn will earn his money this week. Imagine all off-season you are training for this year, and you are picked to play on national stage against the SB champs (that you had a very close game against last playoffs). Then you find out they are missing multiple players, including their QB1 and WR1. Have to think losing a game knowing those guys are coming in a few weeks has to shrink the confidence of any team quite a bit

I don't think Atlanta is as bad as you think.  They put up 12 points (Could have easily been 20) vs a top 3 NFL defense, on the road, a dome team on a soaked field, in the first game of the year.  I think they bounce back and put up a bunch of points next week at home.

I don't think that they are as good as you think. If they were they would have won a game that they very easily could have.

How many plays did they run inside the 10 and get nothing?

A good team would've won that game

Shanahan blew a SB because of his ego but the guy would have put 21+ up on the board against the Eagles. They have weapons galore but the OC is in way over his head.

I don't think that they are as good as you think. If they were they would have won a game that they very easily could have.

How many plays did they run inside the 10 and get nothing?

A good team would've won that game
I don't think they are amazing or anything, but I don't think they are total trash.  I do agree that their playcalling seemed awful and inability to use anyone but Julio would be troublesome going forward. But this was a tough game for them.  I still think they're in contention for a playoff spot by years end.

Shanahan blew a SB because of his ego but the guy would have put 21+ up on the board against the Eagles. They have weapons galore but the OC is in way over his head.
Agree.

How many picks were dropped last night by both teams? 

Had to be at least 6. Maybe more than that. 

How many picks were dropped last night by both teams? 

Had to be at least 6. Maybe more than that. 
And probably 30 penalties... and the NFL standard inconsistent officiating.  The "roughing the passer" for "putting body weight" on him was unjust. The defender didn't even wrap him up and genuinely appeared to lay up.  Later in the game, Chris Long (?) drove Ryan to the grass.  Personally, I don't think either should have drawn a flag but one and not the other blows.

Heard a stat today that of the last 20 red zone downs for the Falcons, Julio Jones has only been targeted once. Ridiculous if true.

Edit: the stat may be that of the last 20 attempts to Jones in the red zone, he's only had one reception. But still...
On their first drive, Jones wasn't even on the field for 3rd or 4th down as the Falcons had 4 failed attempts using Freeman.  Even if you're not going to Julio isn't he going to draw coverage?

Users who are viewing this thread