What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official President Joe Biden Thread*** BEST EVER! (5 Viewers)

also I thought Biden was going to bring love and kumbaya and bi-partisanship to the White House? man he attacked Republicans hard at every chance today, vile and hateful

NOT an inflation reduction act

might as well call it Environmental IRS Investment act - at leas that'd be honest
What do you think about the contents of the bill?
Disappointed with the EV part - that money is going to subsidize the rich. The pharma is a good start, but it's very limited. The games played with insulin by the blue team was infuriating. The IRS item is dreadful - there is no doubt that it will end up landing on small business and the middle class. The blue team refused to officially limit the enforcement scope to the 400+k crowd as it would decrease revenues; that tells you exactly what it was intended to do. Lots of tax increases on the middle class with the energy taxes. The corporate minimum is a good step. The lack of movement on the carried interest loophole is a ****ing outrage - Democrats should be ashamed of themselves there.

Overall, really not a huge amount to like here. And it does nothing about inflation - a nice FU to our citizens.

might as well call it Environmental IRS Investment act - at leas that'd be honest
Disappointed with the EV part - that money is going to subsidize the rich. The pharma is a good start, but it's very limited. The games played with insulin by the blue team was infuriating. The IRS item is dreadful - there is no doubt that it will end up landing on small business and the middle class. The blue team refused to officially limit the enforcement scope to the 400+k crowd as it would decrease revenues; that tells you exactly what it was intended to do. Lots of tax increases on the middle class with the energy taxes. The corporate minimum is a good step. The lack of movement on the carried interest loophole is a ****ing outrage - Democrats should be ashamed of themselves there.

Overall, really not a huge amount to like here. And it does nothing about inflation - a nice FU to our citizens.
Yep. This was nothing more than a pay back to their donors while screwing the middle class once again.

Screwing the middle class: it's what Democrats do.

Yep. This was nothing more than a pay back to their donors while screwing the middle class once again.

Care to expand on how it actually screws the middle class? You…in your own words and please also cite the applicable part of the bill.

Care to expand on how it actually screws the middle class? You…in your own words and please also cite the applicable part of the bill.
I doubt anyone cares to expand on anything for you because you don't engage in good faith. HTH

So... @GoBirds What was sad about this?
And @BladeRunner any comment on how it screws the middle class? Anything?

Or am I right when I claim you all aren't here to discuss anything...you just look to get the reaction of those who don't think as you do?

wow - this has really got to make liberals/Democrats mad ....

President Biden reinstated the largest oil and gas lease sale in U.S. history, essentially steamrolling the need for environmental review, by signing the Inflation Reduction Act into law on Tuesday.

While the Inflation Reduction Act includes several green energy provisions opposed by the fossil fuel industry, the bill also orders the Department of the Interior (DOI) to take a series of steps to boost fossil fuel production on federal lands and waters. The legislation specifically requires the DOI to reinstate Lease Sale 257, a massive offshore oil and gas sale spanning 80.8 million acres across the Gulf of Mexico, within 30 days of enactment.

wow - this has really got to make liberals/Democrats mad ....

President Biden reinstated the largest oil and gas lease sale in U.S. history, essentially steamrolling the need for environmental review, by signing the Inflation Reduction Act into law on Tuesday.

While the Inflation Reduction Act includes several green energy provisions opposed by the fossil fuel industry, the bill also orders the Department of the Interior (DOI) to take a series of steps to boost fossil fuel production on federal lands and waters. The legislation specifically requires the DOI to reinstate Lease Sale 257, a massive offshore oil and gas sale spanning 80.8 million acres across the Gulf of Mexico, within 30 days of enactment.
and you must love it? so you are praising the bill?
Seems...its something that has been in the works for a while (was subjected to several legal hurdles earlier in the year).
And so there seems to be something for both sides here with some green energy provisions...and this sale to help things along for several years to come.

What is your issue? You seem to not give a real opinion other than whether it will annoy liberals/Democrats.

Seems...its something that has been in the works for a while (was subjected to several legal hurdles earlier in the year).
And so there seems to be something for both sides here with some green energy provisions...and this sale to help things along for several years to come.

What is your issue? You seem to not give a real opinion other than whether it will annoy liberals/Democrats.

I'll have to look through it but so far, I hate adding another 3/4 trillion to national debt, hate adding 87,000 IRS agents, ..... but drilling ? yes, that's a good thing, I'm glad Biden and Democrats changed their anti-oil tune and hopefully it'll help eventually add to American oil production

I'll have to look through it but so far, I hate adding another 3/4 trillion to national debt, hate adding 87,000 IRS agents, ..... but drilling ? yes, that's a good thing, I'm glad Biden and Democrats changed their anti-oil tune and hopefully it'll help eventually add to American oil production
They have been planning to add to production for some time. I have told you this…posted the links about this.

Yes. You really do need to look through it. Because your bolded conclusion is pure ignorance.

Based on the CBO score, the legislation would reduce deficits by $305 billion through 2031

To hopefully eliminate further false claims about the IRA's deficit impact, here is the specific spending/revenue breakdown from the CFRB.

Spending/costs
Energy + Climate = ($386B)
Health Care = ($98B)
Total spending = ($485B)

Revenue
Health Savings = +$322B
Tax increases = +$468B
Total revenue = +$790B

Deficit Reduction = $790B - $485B = $305B

This bill pays for itself and then some.

Based on the CBO score, the legislation would reduce deficits by $305 billion through 2031

LOL

the US Fed Govt spends 1-2 trillion more each year than they bring in

how is that reducing ANYTHING ?

there is absolutely NO WAY by spending trillions of dollars more than they bring in can they claim reduction, its a pure, outright lie

They have been planning to add to production for some time. I have told you this…posted the links about this.

omg

Biden literally campaigned on shutting down big oil, drilling, subsidies, new oil leasing's etc etc

That's been turned around now it seems as far as drilling, but when your approval rating is historic lows, I mean what's he to do? and its a positive for energy/fossil fuels absolutely ..... but why not campaign on this and do it 18 months ago? he's going against liberal anti-oil agenda, which is good to see .... I just can't believe the left isn't horribly mad about it

more good news

New York (CNN Business)US natural gas prices have skyrocketed to levels unseen since 2008, a spike that threatens to offset the benefits of falling prices at the gas pump.
Natural gas futures surged 7% on Tuesday to close at $9.33 per million British thermal unit (BTU), the highest closing price since August 1, 2008.
Although natural gas futures cooled off a touch on Wednesday, they remain up about 70% just since the end of June. And natural gas is up a staggering 525% since closing at $1.48 in June 2020 when Covid-19 had shut much of the US economy down.

LOL

the US Fed Govt spends 1-2 trillion more each year than they bring in

how is that reducing ANYTHING ?

there is absolutely NO WAY by spending trillions of dollars more than they bring in can they claim reduction, its a pure, outright lie

The discussion started by you was specifically about the Inflation Reduction Act.

So the incremental net impacts on the deficit/debt I quoted were for the bill that just passed. Not the overall spending.

And the IRA bill that just passed has a positive impact on the national debt situation.

Get a clue.

Last edited:
So the incremental net impacts on the deficit/debt I quoted were for the bill that just passed. Not the overall spending.

its like being under your monthly home budget but on the side spending $5,000 a month on credit cards and pretending they are independent of each other

they're not

your debt is your debt, and this Biden administration will add trillions a year - this isn't called a "reduction"

And the IRA bill that just passed has a positive impact on the national debt situation.

no, it won't, spending 3/4 of a trillion and pretending it'll all be paid for when it literally hasn't in any year over the past 30 years is Biden lying, its the Govt lying, its simply not true

omg

Biden literally campaigned on shutting down big oil, drilling, subsidies, new oil leasing's etc etc

That's been turned around now it seems as far as drilling, but when your approval rating is historic lows, I mean what's he to do? and its a positive for energy/fossil fuels absolutely ..... but why not campaign on this and do it 18 months ago? he's going against liberal anti-oil agenda, which is good to see .... I just can't believe the left isn't horribly mad about it
Ive posted the links before to expected increases in US oil production (all prior to the lowest of lows for approval rating)…and you default to “omg” and campaign talk.

Ive posted the links before to expected increases in US oil production (all prior to the lowest of lows for approval rating)…and you default to “omg” and campaign talk.

and yes, I've pointed to multiple examples of Biden attacking oil - freezing leasing, permits, subsidies, etc etc and then of course his promises to stop fossil fuels ... all resulting in record gasoline prices at the pumps

again, its good to see Joe realizing his mistakes ........ but man this has got to hurt the liberal left people who are all climate knee jerk

no, it won't, spending 3/4 of a trillion and pretending it'll all be paid for when it literally hasn't in any year over the past 30 years is Biden lying, its the Govt lying, its simply not true
Lol. Ok. If everyone in government is lying except those that are on our side then I guess that explains everything.

UK up to over 10% inflation. Not good.
Didn't you get the memo? Our price increases and inflation are different from the rest of the world.
Please link to the memo that shows the "rest of the world" dictating our fiscal and monetary policy.
So it's ok to blame worldwide inflation on Biden or isn't it? Because in many cases other countries are worse off inflation wise than the US yet conservatives do nothing but blame Biden.

Didn't you get the memo? Our price increases and inflation are different from the rest of the world.
Please link to the memo that shows the "rest of the world" dictating our fiscal and monetary policy.
So it's ok to blame worldwide inflation on Biden or isn't it? Because in many cases other countries are worse off inflation wise than the US yet conservatives do nothing but blame Biden.
No clue how you got that from what I posted.

From the bolded. It seemed to me that you were saying the US is solely responsible for their own monetary policy and thus inflation. Apologies if I misunderstood.

That's not how it works. You think each country's price increases and inflation is only related to their individual fiscal and monetary policy? You don't think global supply chain issues, covid, the war in Ukraine and other global events are contributing factors?

From the bolded. It seemed to me that you were saying the US is solely responsible for their own monetary policy and thus inflation. Apologies if I misunderstood.
Of course there are linkages and similarities among monetary policies for the developed democratic countries. And during the pandemic they coordinated those policies, with similar resulting excessive demand side inflationary impacts.

But the use of the term "worldwide inflation" is thrown around like we are victims with no control over imaginary global forces.

That is not accurate. We have control over all of that. So do others.

Of course there are linkages and similarities among monetary policies for the developed democratic countries. And during the pandemic they coordinated those policies, with similar resulting excessive demand side inflationary impacts.

But the use of the term "worldwide inflation" is thrown around like we are victims with no control over imaginary global forces.

But supply and demand play a huge issue in inflation and if worldwide supply is impacted, like it was with covid, the impacts will be felt regardless of monetary policy. So in this case worldwide inflation is appropriate.

That's not how it works. You think each country's price increases and inflation is only related to their individual fiscal and monetary policy? You don't think global supply chain issues, covid, the war in Ukraine and other global events are contributing factors?

But supply and demand play a huge issue in inflation and if worldwide supply is impacted, like it was with covid, the impacts will be felt regardless of monetary policy. So in this case worldwide inflation is appropriate.
The term "worldwide inflation" is not appropriate. Not now, or ever.

That term is only ever used by liberals to deflect blame for domestic policies, completely under our control, that contributed to inflationary pressures (e.g. Biden's second stimulus).

Or to evade responsibility for responding to inflationary pressures (e.g. Biden denying declaring inflation "transitory" for over a year).

Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output. - Milton Friedman

And monetary policy is controlled by each individual, sovereign country.

Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output. - Milton Friedman

So, a worldwide collapse of the supply chain won't impact inflation? And in a previous post you noted Biden's $2T stimulus but neglected to mention's Trump $4T spending the year before. Much as you want to lay this all on the feet of Biden, the supply chain disruption for energy and goods would have resulted in inflation for the US no matter what the monetary policy was.

So, a worldwide collapse of the supply chain won't impact inflation? And in a previous post you noted Biden's $2T stimulus but neglected to mention's Trump $4T spending the year before. Much as you want to lay this all on the feet of Biden, the supply chain disruption for energy and goods would have resulted in inflation for the US no matter what the monetary policy was.
Baloney. I'm not laying it all at the feet at Biden. Just in reference to the apologists using the term "worldwide inflation." And I agree that Trump's $4T spending had similar impacts, as well as Obama's perpetual deficit spending, and Fed QE created unprecedented liquidity in the system.

And of course the "global" supply chain issues were a trigger.

But the fiscal/monetary response is what I'm talking about that is individually controlled, as well as the U.S. economy being flush with liquidity from all the years prior.

The U.S. demand-side actions that contributed/are contributing to the decline of purchasing power of the American dollar were not in any way "worldwide" events.

Seeing the victory lap the left is doing these days is all the proof you need. Sis weeks ago they were point fingers.

Seeing the victory lap the left is doing these days is all the proof you need. Sis weeks ago they were point fingers.
you may be confused on the reason for the optimism.

Well it's hard not to at least stretch out for a victory lap when conservatives have spent the last 18 months saying how horrible Biden has been. And including things like inflation, the anti-vaxxers, Russia, etc that he didn't fully control or that he tried to do the right thing about.

I still believe there are major recession storm clouds gathering that will hit toward the end of the year..but it's hard for any objective person to argue it hasn't been a good summer for Joe.

Just today the conservative WSJ was lauding another accomplishment reducing hearing aid prices (caveat: process started under Trump).

Hear, hear to the Biden Food and Drug Administration, which on Tuesday finalized a rule that Commissioner Robert Califf said will open up the hearing-aid market to competition and “unleash the power of American industry.” This is the right way to reduce prices.

The FDA rule will let Americans buy hearing aids over the counter rather than by prescription. This will expand the hearing-aid market and could save seniors thousands of dollars.

This is the Biden Administration’s best move on regulation to date, though opening up the hearing-aid market has been a bipartisan effort. In 2017 President Trump signed legislation co-sponsored by Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley that directed the FDA to establish standards by August 2020 to allow hearing aids to be sold over the counter.

I still believe there are major recession storm clouds gathering that will hit toward the end of the year..but it's hard for any objective person to argue it hasn't been a good summer for Joe.

Just today the conservative WSJ was lauding another accomplishment reducing hearing aid prices (caveat: process started under Trump).

Hear, hear to the Biden Food and Drug Administration, which on Tuesday finalized a rule that Commissioner Robert Califf said will open up the hearing-aid market to competition and “unleash the power of American industry.” This is the right way to reduce prices.

The FDA rule will let Americans buy hearing aids over the counter rather than by prescription. This will expand the hearing-aid market and could save seniors thousands of dollars.

This is the Biden Administration’s best move on regulation to date, though opening up the hearing-aid market has been a bipartisan effort. In 2017 President Trump signed legislation co-sponsored by Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley that directed the FDA to establish standards by August 2020 to allow hearing aids to be sold over the counter.
The country could lose some jobs and that would actually help inflation. The labor market is too tight now. Overall inflation is going down, energy going down, Covid in the rear view mirror, worldwide supply chain opening up, companies posting decent earnings, and the stock market certainly thinks the future is bright.

Not saying we won't still be in recession for the next 6 months but I'd put way more money on decent GDP growth in Q3 with all other economic indicators continuing to look bright.

Users who are viewing this thread