What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (3 Viewers)

FWIW Next week's Raw was taped 2nite.

And Punk's promo was the best in a long time. It was so different than the kid-friendly crap they've been trotting out there the last couple years.

Really good show last night. Punk is awesome.
:goodposting: Punk and Miz are the best things going on Raw right now. It's a shame they're cutting out Miz's legs from under him right now, but I guess they have to push the new bland good guy and he's the sacrificial lamb. :(

Not sure why they keep pushing Christian and Riley. Very boring guys.

Anyone know why they don't do anything cool with tag teams anymore?

This bugs me too. Everything I've read is that Vince doesn't think anyone cares about tag teams. I STRONGLY disagree, but than again, I grew up watching the Midnight Express, Road Warriors, Steiners, R&R, Tully and Arn, Ole and Arn, the Koloffs, Fantastics, Doom etc. Maybe because the tag thing seemed more NWA-ish? Yeah, the WWF had the Rockers, Harts, Bulldogs, Demolition, and the Dream Team, but I'd take the NWA teams over them in a heart beat.

TAg teams can do so many cool finishing moves together. And the story lines can be every bit as good. People also forget that a lot of the best individual guys came from tag teams (michaels, hart, bulldog).

Finances play a part in the demise of tag teams. Promoter essentially pays twice as much for a match, plus there's the problem of what to do with a tag team when one person is no longer available (i.e. departure from league like the Can-Am connection or injury) Some tag team wrestlers have excelled solo, but many more have failed.

CM Punk was a work, but a good one. It'll bring me back next week. Wonder how convincingly they're prepared to sell it however.
So any idea where this work leads? If Punk leaves the company, no way in hell Vince lets him leave with the belt....unless Vince is in with another company?I haven't watched RAW in years (lack of cable and addition of kids will do that), but keep tabs on things and this has me the most curious as I have been in a really long time.

CM Punk was a work, but a good one. It'll bring me back next week. Wonder how convincingly they're prepared to sell it however.
So any idea where this work leads? If Punk leaves the company, no way in hell Vince lets him leave with the belt....unless Vince is in with another company?I haven't watched RAW in years (lack of cable and addition of kids will do that), but keep tabs on things and this has me the most curious as I have been in a really long time.
That would be the extreme, awesome extension of this. If it was really a shoot, you'd have to think he'd name drop TNA. Vince has had a history of propping up smaller organizations, ECW and CWA for example. I'm wondering what the endgame will be myself, you can go a few different ways here. CM Punk winning and showing up in ROH would be interesting, but obviously a work. What would be more interesting is, if they wiped Punk clean from their website and announced a new main event and just let it happen. Then in a month, do an angle where Punk rushes the ring or something or maybe crashes summerslam and then figure out a way to reintegrate him.

That would be the extreme, awesome extension of this. If it was really a shoot, you'd have to think he'd name drop TNA. Vince has had a history of propping up smaller organizations, ECW and CWA for example. I'm wondering what the endgame will be myself, you can go a few different ways here. CM Punk winning and showing up in ROH would be interesting, but obviously a work. What would be more interesting is, if they wiped Punk clean from their website and announced a new main event and just let it happen. Then in a month, do an angle where Punk rushes the ring or something or maybe crashes summerslam and then figure out a way to reintegrate him.
My first thought was ROH as well, but that company seems to place all of it's creed on being the anti-WWE, and any work with Vince would be risky.

Ring of Honor is the home of tag team wrestling now. Best tag division on the planet BAR NONE.
I've heard they toned it down a bit, but for a while their moves were just too ridiculous. The matches would be filled with 50 double team moves that should be finishers but were merely shrugged off.

Ring of Honor is the home of tag team wrestling now. Best tag division on the planet BAR NONE.
I've heard they toned it down a bit, but for a while their moves were just too ridiculous. The matches would be filled with 50 double team moves that should be finishers but were merely shrugged off.
I saw the four-way at Sunday's Best in the World PPV between Haas/Benjamin, Kings of Wrestling, All Night Express, and the Briscoes and it was very well done, IMO. Yeah, they used double team moves (especially the Kings, but that's been their trademark), but I thought it was pretty well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to Smackdown at USAirways Center tonight. I'm hardly excited about it since the star power on SD is so miniscule outside of Orton, but my kid hardly slept last night with anticipation. For that I'm happy. I'll check back in with spoilers.

My first thought was ROH as well, but that company seems to place all of it's creed on being the anti-WWE, and any work with Vince would be risky.
Yeah, I don't know, at the time they never acknowledged the ECW financing. But short of money, the visibility they'd get out of Punk doing something like that would be huge but not necessarily a sell out. Between Punk and R Truth, should be a good summer if they don't mess it up, hopefully who ever is booking right now gets to keep the stick for a while, they're doing great work between those two.

Most likely they're recreating the "Summer of Punk" angle from ROH. He's not going anywhere.

TAg teams can do so many cool finishing moves together. And the story lines can be every bit as good. People also forget that a lot of the best individual guys came from tag teams (michaels, hart, bulldog).
True. Plus many times the tag-team is greater than the sum of it's parts. We all loved the Road Warriors, and I used to love the Steiner Brothers. Two of the best tag teams ever, IMO, but I just never got as into Hawk, Animal, Rick, or Scott in singles action. Dynamite Kid's single matches against Tiger Mask, though, are some of the best I've ever seen.

I hate the #######s that chant "What" during promos.
That's the worst thing Austin ever contributed. I still remember people saying "What!" between verses of the Star Spangled Banner during the Smackdown right after 9/11.

I loved Punk's promo too and don't care if it was a work or a shoot. It was refreshing. The one thing I disagreed with though was him lumping Rock in with Hogan and Cena as kissing Vince's ###.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but at his absolute peak, Rock put so many other guys over, and put them over clean, that there's no way you can lump him in with these other guys. Rock broke out and made movies just like them, but I'd argue he earned it 100%.

Most likely they're recreating the "Summer of Punk" angle from ROH. He's not going anywhere.
:goodposting:

:goodposting:
That was a good article. I don't know near enough about ROH.

This bugs me too. Everything I've read is that Vince doesn't think anyone cares about tag teams. I STRONGLY disagree, but than again, I grew up watching the Midnight Express, Road Warriors, Steiners, R&R, Tully and Arn, Ole and Arn, the Koloffs, Fantastics, Doom etc. Maybe because the tag thing seemed more NWA-ish? Yeah, the WWF had the Rockers, Harts, Bulldogs, Demolition, and the Dream Team, but I'd take the NWA teams over them in a heart beat.
I loved the "Crockett Cup" tournament matches.

Going to Smackdown at USAirways Center tonight. I'm hardly excited about it since the star power on SD is so miniscule outside of Orton, but my kid hardly slept last night with anticipation. For that I'm happy. I'll check back in with spoilers.
Have fun. Almost just bought a ticket, but I really don't even like anyone outside of Cody Rhodes on Smackdown.I guess watching Sin Cara botch move after move could be fun though.

Have fun. Almost just bought a ticket, but I really don't even like anyone outside of Cody Rhodes on Smackdown.I guess watching Sin Cara botch move after move could be fun though.
Much better recaps out there than mine, but here goes...Tickets said show started at 6:30, but took about 1.5 hours to get through NXT and Superstars which I suppose are on the innernet now. I was fine with it. I like seeing tomorrow's talent (and Yoshi) today, but my kid was getting antsy.Click here if you want to know what happens for Friday.
SD kicks off with Christian asking Teddy Long for his rematch with Orton, saying he earned it again. Teddy disagrees and tells him that Orton gets to fight Mark Henry and Christian is to stay away from the ring.First match is Orton and Henry. Henry is having his way and then the Big Show intro comes on the tron distracting Henry. However, Big Show is nowhere to be seen. During the distraction, Henry eats an RKO outside the ring at about the 8 count, Orton slips back into the ring and wins by count out. Henry is pissed and goes on a rampage and finds a guy who is running the A/V equipment and ends up pummeling him before destroying the electronic gear.Next fight is DiBiase vs Daniel Bryan. Match starts off weird because they're continuing to lead us to believe that the sound has been knocked out, so no theme music plays during intros. I guess Bryan won with some monkey grapple move, but I really didn't give a ####. The only reason I know is because afterwards they cut to backstage with Cody Rhodes jumping all over DiBiase's case for not winning enough. Music is back on in time for Bryan's theme after the win (thank god).Pandering to the Phoenix crowd, we get a backstage promo of Teddy Long telling Christian he has to face "THE MEXICAN SENSATION" Sin Cara (Mexican American applause is heavy). One of the Mexican guys behind me could be heard proudly proclaiming "that sheet's Mexican" in regards to the Lucha style. We got the Sin Cara mood lighting and there were a few botches, but the athleticism had the crowd as raucous as it was all night.Cody and Ezekiel Jackson wrestled. DiBiase made up for losing by distracting Zeke so Cody got the win. Probably the lamest match of the night. Oh wait, nevermind, that was the DiBiase match.They usually post on the tron who's fighting next, but after a braek, Kane came out for his match unannounced. The fireworks rocked the building and probably caused a heart attack or two as they were intense. His opponent was Wade Barrett, whom I thought was going to be a star and is seemingly now one step away from being on NXT. I enjoyed this match, but Kane's size makes all of his movements look like slow motion. He ended up winning on his 2nd attempted choke slam which the crowd was clamoring for.Lastly, the money in the bank contract signing between Christian and Orton. Christian comes out with a lawyer. The two wrestlers sit at the table as Teddy Long presides. Orton signs, Christian has his lawyer read the contract, complains about the refs and how he always gets screwed, the attempts to sign. Sheamus comes running out of nowhere fully dressed and causes all sorts of hell. Kicks both their asses and tears up the contract. My kid had to pee, so I figured that was the end and left. As we're walking around the concourse, I hear Teddy announce that Orton and Christian would be in a streetfight as soon as they come to. I missed it, but heard Orton won.

Actually, I think Punk is going to debut in ROH in July.
At SD last night, they played a segment called "Raw Rebound" on the tron. It featured a chopped up edit of Punk's promo. I couldn't tell if the crowd was majority cheering or booing, but it definitely caused a large reaction. Pretty awesome to hear the noise.

Even Jim Rome referenced the CM Punk rant on his radio show today. He played select audio clips of the rant on the radio show, including the Hogan/Rock references, trashing Vince/Steph/HHH, and bashing USA network programming.

Punk beats Cena for the title and immediately afterwards the Money In The Bank winner challenges and beats Punk for the title so he doesn't get to leave with the title. imo

Not that it's news, but

Nice. That shoot style mic work is so much better than the yelling cliches mic work.I haven't watched Pro Wrestling in years. Should I consider CM Punk for my Gold Standard of Pro Wrestling mic work?

My Gold Standard (in no particular order; wrestlers only):

Dusty Rhodes

Ric Flair

Roddy Piper

Jake Roberts

Mick Foley

The Rock

Chris Jericho

Steve Austin

'Rayderr said:
Finances play a part in the demise of tag teams. Promoter essentially pays twice as much for a match, plus there's the problem of what to do with a tag team when one person is no longer available (i.e. departure from league like the Can-Am connection or injury) Some tag team wrestlers have excelled solo, but many more have failed.
:goodposting: This is correct. Promoters got tired of paying mega $$$ for a top tier tag team match when they have have two mid card shlubs wrestle a match for a 1/4 of that.

'Jewell said:
'Abraham said:
True. Plus many times the tag-team is greater than the sum of it's parts. We all loved the Road Warriors, and I used to love the Steiner Brothers. Two of the best tag teams ever, IMO, but I just never got as into Hawk, Animal, Rick, or Scott in singles action. Dynamite Kid's single matches against Tiger Mask, though, are some of the best I've ever seen.
The Road Warriors were SOOOOO the sh##, easily the greatest of all time. Steiners could have surpassed them if they were not split up. Steiners were so ahead of the other teams of that time. The only one of those four that was really relevant in singles was Big Poppa Pump. Hawk was decent but nothing special.

'Rayderr said:
:goodposting: This is correct. Promoters got tired of paying mega $$$ for a top tier tag team match when they have have two mid card shlubs wrestle a match for a 1/4 of that.
:confused:Everyone in WWE is under contract. ROH probably pays per appearance and they use more tag teams, it seems.

'Charlie Frown said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
'Abraham said:
I loved the "Crockett Cup" tournament matches.
Word, brother. Crockett Cup matches were epic........... Good times! I really miss the old Great American Bash too......

'Rayderr said:
:confused:Everyone in WWE is under contract. ROH probably pays per appearance and they use more tag teams, it seems.
Good point, I just got my information from one of the videos I watched recently, not sure which one it was those. Maybe I am thinking how it used to be.......

'Rayderr said:
Plus, back then both the WWF and NWA had enough top/upper mid tier singles talent to where they didn't need to split up the handful of great tag teams because they needed more top singles wrestlers. The depth back then was ridiculous.

'Rayderr said:
But how is the contract written? It's usually $X for Y matches.

Users who are viewing this thread