What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Punk/ Hardcore Music Thread (3 Viewers)

I like the really borderline-mainstream acts I had a prayer of hearing about in the midwest in the 80's, and that's pretty much all I know. Haven't been to a show since Reagan was in office, because what better reason to hate everything in the world than Reagan being in office?

Agnostic Front, Black Flag, Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Patti Smith from back in the day. Probably the newest thing even on my radar is Shai Hulud and the Irish stuff like Dropkick and Flogging Molly, which I have an almost dorky love for.

Oh, and can we count Velvet Underground? I want to count Velvet Underground.

Now bear with me while I look to see what the punkest emoticon is...

I moonlighted with two NJ hardcore acts WAY back when. Never was a full time member of either band, but did some studio work and played live with both here and there around NY/NJ in the early 90s. CBGB, Studio One, the Pony, City Gardens, etc. I met Page Hamilton at City Gardens ages ago when they played there with Jesus Lizard and reconnected with him a few years back ata club show in Orlando. We ended up hanging out for hours, doing shots and reminiscing about some of the great east coast clubs. I still have a few pics from the end of the night when we were both hammered and decided to start taking selfies making dopey faces and putting each other in headlocks. What an awesome guy, one of my favorite people I've ever met.

I miss those days.

Two personal garage punk (no HC) favorites from the 90's, among my favorites ever. Crypt records ruled! Exclamation points!!!!

Teengenerate - Get Action!

New Bomb Turks - !!Destroy-Oh-Boy!!
Definitly some of my favorites. Saw teengenerate at a reunion in Nyc a few years ago.
Lucky man. Would have loved to see that. Saw the New Bomb Turks in NYC back in '10 when Eric Davidson put out his Gunk Punk book. Loved the show. Teengenerate just cash cow'd (or something like it) Get Action Again, which has different versions of the original album. It's on Spotify.

Last edited by a moderator:
AcerFC-

How about Integrity?
Only heard one of their records years ago and I didn't really care for them. They were, like... almost too hardcore, if that's even a thing. There was no discernible melody and the "singer" was more like what I would imagine an abused demonspawn would sound like after he swallowed one too many molotovs.

I have a good friend who is close to a bunch of DMS guys. We used to show up at CBs on random Friday nights and catch a set or two.

MCA from the Beastie Boys was there a few times. Not a very friendly guy, but it was cool he would strap on the bass for a song or two with Madball or AF, can't recall who. He was a hardcore guy before any of his mainstream success. This was probably mid 2000s.

I have a good friend who is close to a bunch of DMS guys. We used to show up at CBs on random Friday nights and catch a set or two.

MCA from the Beastie Boys was there a few times. Not a very friendly guy, but it was cool he would strap on the bass for a song or two with Madball or AF, can't recall who. He was a hardcore guy before any of his mainstream success. This was probably mid 2000s.
chances are, we have been at the same shows. I was friendly with the guys from H2O. Was in a band with todd friend and adam blake for a quick minute. We played CBs. Im pretty sure ive posted the video on these boards at some point. I know EG and I were at wetlands shows together. My favorite venue was Coney Island high

Anyone ever listen to Me First and the Gimme Gimmes?
Yes. Decent shtick but hit and miss. And more punkish than punk

I'd say that 80-90 of their songs are pretty meh. Then there are some that are cool to listen to. About 5 percent are pretty damn good. In some cases I like them better than the original.,,might be the interpretation or vocals or the energy but fun for sure.

Danny's song Nobody Does It Better Different Drum Eastbound

AcerFC-

How about Integrity?
Integrity is another favorite of mine, I actually ran across a red System's Overloaded cassette (that I picked on a whim while on a road trip to CLE - that was a loud drive home) last night while looking for something in the basement not that long ago.

Big fan of Ignite as well.
I always liked Ignite, but was never a big fan until recently. At some point this year I pretty much listened to nothing but their albums for about a month straight.

P.S. I broke out some Death Threat (the Conn one) on my ride to work this morning... they were one of my favorite live shows back when I was a bit younger ;)

I was never "in" the scene, but kinda floated around it. My tastes were less hardcore and more new-wavey or garagey-influenced, but bands often got mashed together in shows, so I got to see a bunch of these SF bands that kinda-sorta fit the bill: The Nuns, The Offs, The F-ups, The Pop-o-Pies, The Mutants, The Swans (caveat- some of these might not be from SF) and of course the DKs.

My favorite punkish moment was watching The Pop-o-Pies open for some English new wave band at the Kabuki right after they had released their biggest "hit", a cover of Grateful Dead's Truckin'. They walked onto stage and launched into one loud, fast chord over and over as the singer read the just published scathing review of their album from the SF Chronicle. Boos, then "get off the stage", then little objects, then beer bottles and whatever else people could get their hands on flew at them- it was like the Blues Brothers in the Country bar. Somebody finally cut the power to their amps and that was it (even though they kept at it without power for another minute at least). Who knew fans of English new wave bands were so uppity?

Die Toten Hosen - Learning English Lesson 1 is still one of the best albums in my collection. Just so many great songs from the past, in very good versions.

I realize German punk isn't for everyone, but the Hosen has a lot of English material as well. Great band live, and very recommended if you ever have the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzSWA8zb03E

true story

Pat Brown - Vandals

Pat was (rip) my Uncles best friend and unfortunately for him my Uncle is/was bad news. Take a spoiled twenty something that doesn't have to work and always has plenty of spending money and you have a recipe for disaster. The only plus side is that Pat was roommates of Joe from the Vandals and his out of control craziness gave them a decent song to sing. F'n Pat Brown...

Feel like this is as good of a place to ask as any

Anyone ever heard of the Mob 40s. When I visited a friend in Arizona back in 99, we went to a show that they played. I really liked them but could never find anything else they did.

Always thought they might be one of those bands that no one really heard of that died quickly

Users who are viewing this thread