What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Robert Griffin III - RGIII RG3 (1 Viewer)

Everybody, please read the wisdom from Benoit and "anonymous offensive coordinator" and drop RG3 to waivers, so I can pick him up for free...thanks!

I am not even a big fan of RG3 and I find myself rooting for him. I would love to watch how Benoit wiggles his way out of this, if RG3 turns it around:

"Oh, he has matured so much! He doesn't see Payton Manning in the mirror anymore!"

"He has overcome his ego! Without the ego, he is now throwing the ball so much better!"

"His legs have healed - it's a miracle! Who could have seen that one coming!"

"He hasn't improved! Defenses are just underestimating his legs and giving him room to run!"

"Ha hasn't improved! Defenses are just underestimating his arm and giving him space to throw into!"

Come on, RG3! :popcorn:

“Five, and there’s no coming back,” one offensive coach said of Griffin. “He is done. The reason why is, the injury slowed his legs, and his ego will not allow him to hit rock bottom and actually grind his way back up the right way.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/07/21/anonymous-coach-says-rgiii-is-done-in-espn-qb-poll/
That ego quote makes absolutely no sense. "His ego won't allow him to hit rock bottom" what does that even mean? Is it now a bad thing to not hit rock bottom?

“Five, and there’s no coming back,” one offensive coach said of Griffin. “He is done. The reason why is, the injury slowed his legs, and his ego will not allow him to hit rock bottom and actually grind his way back up the right way.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/07/21/anonymous-coach-says-rgiii-is-done-in-espn-qb-poll/
That ego quote makes absolutely no sense. "His ego won't allow him to hit rock bottom" what does that even mean? Is it now a bad thing to not hit rock bottom?
Apparently it is if it's your ego that is in the way...

Don't worry, I was :whoosh: too when I read that, then disregarded the article

Apparently it is if it's your ego that is in the way...

Don't worry, I was :whoosh: too when I read that, then disregarded the article
And honestly, you can make a case he's hit rock bottom. He's been benched the last 2 seasons. If that isn't rock bottom for a QB, then I'm not sure what is. Does he need to get a few DUIs or something?

Step 1 of the 12 step program is admitting you have a problem. That generally requires hitting rock bottom. Griffin, at least publicly, doesn't admit that he's been bad. He can't improve if he's not realistic about who he is. If he continues to think he's great, he won't mentally hit rock bottom and realize he needs to change.

That's probably what that quote means.

Step 1 of the 12 step program is admitting you have a problem. That generally requires hitting rock bottom. Griffin, at least publicly, doesn't admit that he's been bad. He can't improve if he's not realistic about who he is. If he continues to think he's great, he won't mentally hit rock bottom and realize he needs to change.

I don't feel like digging through tons of post game quotes, but I bet I can find numerous quotes after games and even in the offseason of him saying he needs to work on X, Y, Z and that he needs to play better. I'd say that's admitting you need to get better or else you're gone.

There's plenty of valid criticisms with RG3's play and even how he conducts himself in pressers and such. But I don't think I've heard anyone be criticized because they refuse to hit rock bottom.

Five, and theres no coming back, one offensive coach said of Griffin. He is done. The reason why is, the injury slowed his legs, and his ego will not allow him to hit rock bottom and actually grind his way back up the right way.
Step 1 of the 12 step program is admitting you have a problem. That generally requires hitting rock bottom. Griffin, at least publicly, doesn't admit that he's been bad. He can't improve if he's not realistic about who he is. If he continues to think he's great, he won't mentally hit rock bottom and realize he needs to change.That's probably what that quote means.
I don't feel like digging through tons of post game quotes, but I bet I can find numerous quotes after games and even in the offseason of him saying he needs to work on X, Y, Z and that he needs to play better. I'd say that's admitting you need to get better or else you're gone.

There's plenty of valid criticisms with RG3's play and even how he conducts himself in pressers and such. But I don't think I've heard anyone be criticized because they refuse to hit rock bottom.
Bet you can't.

:goodposting:

It's become hard to like RG3, given what an immature guy he has shown to be, but he was so exciting to watch when he was great, that the football fan in me wants him to find his way back to being good again.

Five, and theres no coming back, one offensive coach said of Griffin. He is done. The reason why is, the injury slowed his legs, and his ego will not allow him to hit rock bottom and actually grind his way back up the right way.
Step 1 of the 12 step program is admitting you have a problem. That generally requires hitting rock bottom. Griffin, at least publicly, doesn't admit that he's been bad. He can't improve if he's not realistic about who he is. If he continues to think he's great, he won't mentally hit rock bottom and realize he needs to change.That's probably what that quote means.

Bet you can't.
Challenge accepted

From the Tampa game:

"So when you ask me that question, and I say all of the sacks are on me, it’s because I’m looking myself in the mirror and saying, I can do better. I have to do better."

Robert Griffin III Talks About His New QB Coach, His Injuries, His Future With the Redskins, and DeflateGate"Ya, every year you go back, you look at the things you can do better, and you try to grow from there."

"And I can't wait to work with coach Matt. He brings a lot of experience to the table. I'm willing, and can't wait to add more knowledge to the bank, as I like to call it."

These are just the easy ones that don't require much searching. But go ahead and keep trolling.

Bet you can't.
Challenge accepted

From the Tampa game:

"So when you ask me that question, and I say all of the sacks are on me, its because Im looking myself in the mirror and saying, I can do better. I have to do better."

Robert Griffin III Talks About His New QB Coach, His Injuries, His Future With the Redskins, and DeflateGate

"Ya, every year you go back, you look at the things you can do better, and you try to grow from there."

"And I can't wait to work with coach Matt. He brings a lot of experience to the table. I'm willing, and can't wait to add more knowledge to the bank, as I like to call it."

These are just the easy ones that don't require much searching. But go ahead and keep trolling.
You're making this way too easy. Thank you for quoting the Tampa game where he also said this famous quote:

We were playing good team ball. It takes 11 men. It doesnt take one guy, and thats proven. If you want to look at the good teams in this league and the great quarterbacks, the Peytons and the Aaron Rodgers, those guys dont play well if their guys dont play well. They dont. We need everybody. I need every one of those guys in that locker room, and I know theyre looking at me saying the same thing."
Your second quote says nothing about him taking accountability.

Bet you can't.
Challenge accepted

From the Tampa game:

"So when you ask me that question, and I say all of the sacks are on me, its because Im looking myself in the mirror and saying, I can do better. I have to do better."

Robert Griffin III Talks About His New QB Coach, His Injuries, His Future With the Redskins, and DeflateGate

"Ya, every year you go back, you look at the things you can do better, and you try to grow from there."

You're making this way too easy. Thank you for quoting the Tampa game where he also said this famous quote:

We were playing good team ball. It takes 11 men. It doesnt take one guy, and thats proven. If you want to look at the good teams in this league and the great quarterbacks, the Peytons and the Aaron Rodgers, those guys dont play well if their guys dont play well. They dont. We need everybody. I need every one of those guys in that locker room, and I know theyre looking at me saying the same thing."
Your second quote says nothing about him taking accountability.
Whatever. Not getting into this with you. We all know you hate all things Griffin and Redskins.

I think that's exactly what it means.

A few years from now, I think people are going look at the Griffin era in the context of Kyle Shanahan's skill as an Offensive Coordinator. The work he did with Schaub, Griffin and Hoyer is nothing short of spectacular, in the context of their careers. Going into this season with Atlanta, he's got the best QB he's ever worked with and I'm betting that's going to springboard him into a HC role before too long. Going to be interesting if he can make that happen, or if he's going to go the Norv Turner route.

What's ahead for RG3? In my opinion, not much. What I find interesting, right now, in the moment, is that things are quieter than they've been in a long time during the offseason, and all the messages we're getting out of the organization are generally standard answers with a positive bend to them. To me, that speaks volumes about the impact Scott McCloughan is having on the entire organization, and I hope I'm right about this - a quality GM knows how to shape and control the message being emanated from the organization, and I really think that's what's going on. Of particular interest are some of the quotes generating from Gruden regarding Griffin. I'm in the 'see it to believe it' camp when it comes to Griffin, simply because from what I've seen, he doesn't have much in the way of core NFL skills. If I had to guess, part of McCloughan's initial impact on the organization was all about controlling the message - as in: "Coach, stop being so blatantly honest to the media, especially if what you're saying reflects negatively on anything that can be considered an asset." That's just smart management. Why cheapen the value of something you may have to sell down the road?

:lmao:

Of course I'm not a Skins fan but I'm pretty objective.

I think Scot Mccloughan is a master GM and doing a great job. If he's allowed to do his work without interference the Skins are gonna be playoff contenders as soon as he gets you a QB ( If Cousins isn't the guy)

Signing Terrance Knighton was an absolute steal. I think him being best buds with Chris Baker helped you guys immensely.

I loved the Sherrf pick but dislike that they're trying to force him into a RT spot when he's clearly a guard. (And will be and play well by seasons end)

Cousins is your QB. Yes he threw a lot of picks, but that's what young, inexperienced QBs do in this league. Hell, 2 time SB MVP Eli Manning AVERAGES 18 pics a year. 95% of Cousins picks were in two games.

The Oline is improved but not where it needs to be to give Robert time to eventually see the open man.

I think your WR corp is one of the best in the league. TEs are set, even after Reed gets hurt again, Paul will step up. He needs to secure the ball more but I expect good things from him this year.

I worry about your DBs and OLBs not named Keerrigan, who's a stallion.

All in all the Skins are hurting at some key positions , QB being the most muddled. You can say I hate the skins and RGIII all day but Iu can't say I don't know the team or can't be fair.

RGIII is NOT. QB and I have said this on this very board BEFORE he was drafted. I told everybody on this board what would happen. I took a lot of grief in 2012 but held my position. Now every analyst, talking head and FBG all say the exact things I said about him. These are the same folks who said I was nuts and a hater.

Maybe it's you who's biased?

I certainly know RG3 has works to do. He's gotta show something early in the season if he wants the doubters to go away and even then, they'll still be around. Do I think he's the best QB on the roster? Yes. But I wouldn't get upset if he plays poorly and they pull him in favor of Cousins.

My thing is that I don't want to see Colt McCoy on the field unless Griffin and Cousins are both hurt. McCoy serves zero purpose for the future of this team. If Griffin shows he doesn't have it, let Cousins get a shot. Hopefully one of those 2 young QBs shows something this season.

I certainly know RG3 has works to do. He's gotta show something early in the season if he wants the doubters to go away and even then, they'll still be around. Do I think he's the best QB on the roster? Yes. But I wouldn't get upset if he plays poorly and they pull him in favor of Cousins.

My thing is that I don't want to see Colt McCoy on the field unless Griffin and Cousins are both hurt. McCoy serves zero purpose for the future of this team. If Griffin shows he doesn't have it, let Cousins get a shot. Hopefully one of those 2 young QBs shows something this season.
I couldn't agree more. Outside the Dallas game where he played like Steve Young, he has never shown thatvtypebof ability and seems to always be hurt. Competent backup but nothing more.

I couldn't agree more. Outside the Dallas game where he played like Steve Young, he has never shown thatvtypebof ability and seems to always be hurt. Competent backup but nothing more.
Which really made last season a joke for Gruden. If he wanted to bench Griffin, fine. But why not let Cousins get a chance instead of McCoy? Not one single person can believe that McCoy is the future of the Redskins or any franchise at this point. It was a terrible coaching job by Gruden and all he did was feed into the circus last season. Hopefully he's learned his lesson.

Which really made last season a joke for Gruden. If he wanted to bench Griffin, fine. But why not let Cousins get a chance instead of McCoy? Not one single person can believe that McCoy is the future of the Redskins or any franchise at this point. It was a terrible coaching job by Gruden and all he did was feed into the circus last season. Hopefully he's learned his lesson.
I think Grudens seat is hotter then Roberts. I don't believe in Robert so I worry for y'all that Grudens ineptitude as a coach further extends and excuses Roberts poor play.

I think Grudens seat is hotter then Roberts. I don't believe in Robert so I worry for y'all that Grudens ineptitude as a coach further extends and excuses Roberts poor play.
I definitely am not a fan of Gruden's. He certainly didn't do RG3 or Cousins any favors last season. I think though if Gruden goes, RG3 almost has to as well. It will do him no good to stay here and go through another coaching change. Go somewhere else and start fresh.

The Skins have issues developing QBs because they don't keep a staff around long enough for one to develop.

A house cleaning is coming. They are easily the worst team in the division. Probably a new coach, definitely a new QB drafted in 2016.

I definitely am not a fan of Gruden's. He certainly didn't do RG3 or Cousins any favors last season. I think though if Gruden goes, RG3 almost has to as well. It will do him no good to stay here and go through another coaching change. Go somewhere else and start fresh.

The Skins have issues developing QBs because they don't keep a staff around long enough for one to develop.
I'm still in the dark about why RGIII's fifth year option was picked up. 16M is a lot of scratch. Granted, only guaranteed for injury but still.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm still in the dark about why RGIII's fifth year option was picked up. 16M is a lot of scratch. Granted, only guaranteed for injury but still.
Because if he does end up playing well, it would cost more to franchise him than to pick up his 5th year option. Still a gamble, but cheaper gamble as long as he doesn't get injured to the point where he can't pass a physical.

Because if he does end up playing well, it would cost more to franchise him than to pick up his 5th year option. Still a gamble, but cheaper gamble as long as he doesn't get injured to the point where he can't pass a physical.
They are also gambling that there is a sufficient number of QB-needy teams in the league that will gladly take a chance on RG3 and his expensive one-year contract in exchange for a conditional 7th rounder. Quite a reasonable gamble, I think, so the downside risk of picking up year 5 is minimal.

Redskins mailbag: More RGIII criticism, Perry Riley’s job security and Sean Taylor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/07/28/redskins-mailbag-more-rgiii-criticism-perry-rileys-job-security-and-sean-taylor/?postshare=7761438106565187

Excerpt:

As you already know RG3 has been absolutely blasted the past week by the national media and that’s putting it mildly. Examples: he is “done,” or, “Too big of an ego to climb back to the top,” and of course, the physical limitations that he has had due to his previous injuries. I really would love someone like yourself who has been allowed to attend some of this year’s offseason activities to comment on a few of these and give your take from what you have observed from this year’s offseason.

– Rob Fox, Lincolnton, N.C.

Yeah, Kyle Shanahan really didn’t hold back, did he? I kid, I kid. All we know is that it was “an offensive coach” that offered the opinion that Griffin “is done” in a recent ESPN project that ranked the league’s 32 starting quarterbacks.

Obviously, it’s hard for any outsider – coach or not – to know for sure what Griffin is capable of, unless he’s hearing that from people that do indeed see and work with Griffin every day. I think it’s a little early to say whether or not Griffin is done. Yes, once he returned from injury, he played poorly enough that he got benched, and Jay Gruden preferred to go with a journeyman in Colt McCoy. But Griffin showed some positives in the final three games of the season once Gruden altered the game plan to cater to Griffin’s strengths. Scot McCloughan studied film of Griffin and came to the belief that he still has something to offer the franchise as a starter, and so, Griffin is now getting a chance to either prove McCloughan right, or play his way out of the job.

Griffin did show some improvements during the offseason workouts. His footwork and pocket presence both looked better than they did last year. His decision making also had improved in some regards. Was he flawless? No. Did he make some of the same mistakes? Yes. But there certainly were stretches of practice where he looked better, at least to my eye.

Football people know more about this than I ever will, so following those spring practice sessions, I checked in with people within the organization to get their assessments, and they confirmed that Griffin exhibited growth. They saw a young quarterback who is hungry and eager to learn and revive his career. Nobody is ready to launch a “He’s baaaack!” campaign yet, though, because they fully understand that the true tests will come during training camp, in those practices against the Texans, and ultimately, in the preseason games, where the defenses aren’t holding back. But they drew encouragement from what they saw out of Griffin and they hope the growth will continue each day and that by the time the season comes, Griffin is playing like a legitimate NFL starter and helping direct a turnaround. Will this happen? I can’t predict that. So stay tuned.

It never ends with this guy.

"They are asking me to be basic"
No, moron, they're asking you to be a good QB.
Nice job taking the quote out of context.

"They are not asking me to be Superman," Griffin told SI.com's Peter King after practice on Friday. "They are asking me to be basic and take the plays that are there. If that's what Jay wants me to do, that's what I am going to do. It doesn't mean you take everything out of your game.

"They are not asking me to be Superman," Griffin told SI.com's Peter King after practice on Friday. "They are asking me to be basic and take the plays that are there. If that's what Jay wants me to do, that's what I am going to do. It doesn't mean you take everything out of your game.
He's the gift that keeps giving. He's a bum and people keep making excuses for him and coddling him.

He's going to get creamed again this season. Check down city. Those bubble screens and hitches will only work for so long before he's forced to pass , then it's all over.

Again.

He's the gift that keeps giving. He's a bum and people keep making excuses for him and coddling him.

He's going to get creamed again this season. Check down city. Those bubble screens and hitches will only work for so long before he's forced to pass , then it's all over.

Again.
You're on a roll here, and there's a decent chance you're right about him...but we hardly ever throw screens of any kind, including bubble screens.

cstu... :no: if he doesn't like you, he'll use anything he can to make you look bad. RG3 doesn't know what he's dealing with here.

cstu... :no: if he doesn't like you, he'll use anything he can to make you look bad. RG3 doesn't know what he's dealing with here.
I may be reading a little too much into it but him using words like 'basic' and 'ordinary' when all the team wants is for him to play well is not a good sign. I don't think there's anything 'basic' about being a good NFL QB and Griffin doesn't appear to get that.

I don't think his comments are a big deal but it does seem to me like a bit of a passive-aggressive complaint that he's being reigned in some. I don't understand what he wants because he supposedly did not want the offense from his rookie year that let him do so much (not that Jay would let him run that anyways). I want him to succeed but some of his comments make me wonder if he can really self-evaluate his play at all.

Even with the bonus context, the guy to me just doesn't get it. "If that's what Jay wants me to do" strikes me as petulant and reluctant when clearly his game needs whatever structure Gruden can provide at this point.

Even with the bonus context, the guy to me just doesn't get it. "If that's what Jay wants me to do" strikes me as petulant and reluctant when clearly his game needs whatever structure Gruden can provide at this point.
I completely agree with you and Ted Mullins. It sounds to me like he's already trying to explain to his new team in '16 why his '15 season was a flop.

Users who are viewing this thread