What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Robert Griffin III - RGIII RG3 (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III (knee) has been medically cleared for the start of training camp.
He did it alright. Griffin is only six months removed from reconstructive knee surgery, but managed to avoid opening camp on active/PUP. It's just shy of an Adrian Peterson-esque recovery, and RG3 remains on track to start Week 1. Expect Griffin's Average Draft Position in fantasy football leagues to begin rising steadily. Griffin confirmed on Twitter that the Redskins will manage his reps initially, easing him into full-squad practicing. The team's primary concern is having him ready for Opening Day.

Source: Robert Griffin III on Twitter
The Redskins will limit Robert Griffin III (knee) to 7-on-7 drills as part of their plan to "ease" him into training camp.
Griffin is on a similar schedule to Adrian Peterson last year. Peterson avoided the active/PUP list, but was significantly scaled back in terms of the kind of reps he was allowed to do. RG3 will face no contact until preseason games, where he'll likely be used sparingly. He remains a fantasy value pick at his ADP.

Source: Washington Times

Rotoworld:

Sources tell ESPN that it would be a "major surprise" if Robert Griffin III (knee) plays in any preseason games.
It's unfortunate we won't get a chance to evaluate Griffin's recovery against a live opponent, but this should not be considered any kind of setback. It's just Mike Shanahan exercising extra caution as he often does with players coming off injury and the Redskins not wanting to subject their franchise player to any unnecessary hits. Dr. James Andrews, who performed Griffin's ACL and LCL repair, has given Griffin clearance.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Reporting live from Redskins camp Thursday, ESPN's Ed Werder stated on NFL Live that there's "very little doubt" Robert Griffin III (ACL, LCL surgery) will start Washington's season opener.
Thursday was the first day of Redskins camp. RG3 took part in 7-on-7, but no team drills. Jim Corbett of USA Today was also at the practice, and observed that Griffin "look(ed) explosive" on one read-option keeper, resulting in a "roar" from fans in attendance. Corbett said RG3 was "cutting fine" on the knee.

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III (knee) is beginning to take more reps at Redskins practice.
Griffin continues to work in only 7-on-7 drills, not 11-on-11s. He started off with eight reps on the first few days of camp, increased that to 10 and then got 16 or 17 on Wednesday. It's all part of the plan the team has to get Griffin fully ready for Week 1. He's on track.

Source: Associated Press

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III (knee) is now pushing the Redskins' medical staff to let him do more in training camp.
Only taking part in 7-on-7s to this point, RG3 says he's "ready to move on" and resume team drills this week. "Coach will tell you something else, but I’m ready to move on," he said. Griffin says he's experiencing no lingering swelling or soreness in his reconstructed knee. He's right on pace to start Week 1.

Source: Associated Press

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III told the Washington Times he believes he "needs to run more" to improve the Redskins' chances of winning, and coach Mike Shanahan has given him the green light.
Griffin's 77 rushing yards in Sunday night's loss to Dallas were more than he'd gained in Washington's first four games combined. "He’s got to be himself. Robert is Robert," Shanahan said. "We don’t ask quarterbacks to do anything in particular. We have a game plan going in. Whatever that game plan may be, we are hoping they execute it." Griffin still has accuracy issues to iron out, but the Redskins appear to be on the verge of an offensive breakthrough. The Redskins generated 433 yards against Dallas, but settled for four field-goal tries.

Source: Washington Times

Lots of people starting Foles over RG3 in the "who should I start" assistant coach thread.

This mojo will make RG3 pop off for 300 yards passing, 100 rushing and 5 total Tds.

Lots of people starting Foles over RG3 in the "who should I start" assistant coach thread.

This mojo will make RG3 pop off for 300 yards passing, 100 rushing and 5 total Tds.
I hope so, as I have RG3 and tried to Dump Bradford for him but some guy grabbed foles with higher waiver wire... I got over after a few minutes, but was looking forward to plugging Foles in for Rg3, but hopefully he has a big day vs CHI. They seemed like they were ready to explode against cowboys they just couldn't get it in the endzone... 4 Fgs in which I think they could have had 2-3 tds instead..... Hope your right Viking....

I hope so, as I have RG3 and tried to Dump Bradford for him but some guy grabbed foles with higher waiver wire... I got over after a few minutes, but was looking forward to plugging Foles in for Rg3, but hopefully he has a big day vs CHI. They seemed like they were ready to explode against cowboys they just couldn't get it in the endzone... 4 Fgs in which I think they could have had 2-3 tds instead..... Hope your right Viking....
Good then ill trade him to the vick owner.

I'm not always right... But when I am... I'm right.

I dunno. Maybe the running will open up his passing game, but so far it's been choppy.

I'm half tempted to cut him for Foles. Fortune favors the bold, ya know? But I see RG3's upcoming schedule and it's keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Rotoworld:

One NFC personnel director believes Robert Griffin III is struggling because he's "not very good throwing outside the numbers or reading coverages."
RG3 had easily his most dynamic rushing performance in Week 6 against Dallas, but his accuracy is still a work in progress, and he's still learning how to get effectively through progressions. Packers players recently told NFL.com's Albert Breer that their game plan was to get as many defenders around RG3's feet as possible, making him play uncomfortably and affecting his ball placement on throws. RG3 still has talent to take off over Washington's final 11 games, but he's clearly taken a step back from 2012.

Source: NFL.com

I dunno, I think we all just had our assumptions scrambled by Peterson last year in terms of ACL recovery. It used to be you just assumed the guy wouldn't be right for another year. Brady wasn't that good his first year back after tearing his ACL (I bought low on him the following year and he went back to being Tom Brady). I also once drafted McNabb post-ACL and lived to regret it. Even Welker, who made an amazing comeback from a Week 17 tear, had his worst statistical year as a Patriot in 2010. Then Peterson came along, and now we all assume an ACL tear shouldn't slow you down any more than a hangnail.

Nothing I've seen from RG3 this year indicates to me that he's a) still hurt or b) less skilled than he was last year. He's just not back to where he was pre-injury. If I owned him in a redraft this year, I'd have plenty to worry about. But as a Redskins fan, I'm not particularly concerned long-term (I've pretty much written off the team's chances this year already). I would also guess that a) he'll get progressively better as the year goes on, and b) although he'll likely be less consistent week-to-week, he'll definitely have a few games where we see the old RG3. And no way in a million years I would drop him for Foles.

What's ahead? A semi-respectable career that will include injecting life into a dead franchise, a few playoff wins, but an unfortunate shortened career since a mobile QB can't survive unless they weigh at least 240 in the modern NFL.

come on guys this is getting way out of hand.... He will get better as the year goes on and I think he will be able to have a great career....

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III was forced from Washington's Week 8 game against the Broncos in the fourth quarter with a left knee injury.
It's not the same knee that Griffin hurt in last season's playoff loss. Getting battered all afternoon — he took 18 hits by FOX's count — Griffin got planted by NT Terrance Knighton on his final throw of the day, which also resulted in his second interception. RGIII stayed down for several moments before jogging to the sideline unencumbered. It didn't have the looks of a serious injury. His removal was likely precautionary in a game that had gotten out of hand. Pressured on nearly every snap, Griffin had completed just 15-of-30 throws before going down, compiling 132 yards and one touchdown. He lost a fumble in addition to his two picks, and didn't attempt a single run out of the read option. He finished his day with seven yards rushing. We'd guess RGIII is fine for Week 9, but the Redskins may not want to take any chances.

Related: Kirk Cousins

I think he'll be a star in the future. He's made some great throws this year that should have been TDs only to have the receivers not deliver.

But he definitely hasn't 'had the mojo so far this year.

That said, I'm going to consider benching him going forward. He's just painful.

He flat out looks terrible this year. Nobody has ever doubted his legs--but what made him special was that he had legs to go along with having every throw in the book. This season--he has shown flashes of his running game---but his throwing has been absolutely horrid. Even the stats he has achieved up to this point in this season are majorly flawed because in the first 3-4 games of the season--he had such bad first halves of games--that he was basically playing against softer defenses in the 2nd halves of those games--thus inflating his stats. Don't look at his numbers---look at how he is playing with your own eyes--he does not look right. Sure--his guys have dropped some of his passes---but he has thrown some lousy balls too--some he just sprays, overthrows. To me--it looks like he's thinking too much. He doesn't seem confident or natural. Honestly---I think reason why he probably has job security at this point and is not in danger of being benched is because the entire division is terrible. The cowboys are atop the division at 4-4--so there is no real reason to washington to do anything drastic---but he's certainly has a lot to prove to me before I start him with any confidence again.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, Redskins coach Mike Shanahan called Robert Griffin III (knee) "fine," and said he expects him to practice on Wednesday.
Griffin's removal from Sunday's loss was purely precautionary. Even if he's listed as "limited" on Wednesday's injury report, there will be no reason to worry about his Week 9 status.

Source: Chris Russell on Twitter

He flat out looks terrible this year. Nobody has ever doubted his legs--but what made him special was that he had legs to go along with having every throw in the book. This season--he has shown flashes of his running game---but his throwing has been absolutely horrid. Even the stats he has achieved up to this point in this season are majorly flawed because in the first 3-4 games of the season--he had such bad first halves of games--that he was basically playing against softer defenses in the 2nd halves of those games--thus inflating his stats. Don't look at his numbers---look at how he is playing with your own eyes--he does not look right. Sure--his guys have dropped some of his passes---but he has thrown some lousy balls too--some he just sprays, overthrows. To me--it looks like he's thinking too much. He doesn't seem confident or natural. Honestly---I think reason why he probably has job security at this point and is not in danger of being benched is because the entire division is terrible. The cowboys are atop the division at 4-4--so there is no real reason to washington to do anything drastic---but he's certainly has a lot to prove to me before I start him with any confidence again.
typical run first flash in the pan qb ...name 1 consistent running qb

Cam Newton ... no

RGIII ...hardly

Vick ... nope

Wilson ... Uh uh !!

Crapernick ,,, please

Pierre Garcon: Redskins have struggled in pass gameBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Logic suggested the Washington Redskins would find a way to move the ball through the air Sunday against the beleaguered pass defense of the Denver Broncos -- but that didn't happen.

Robert Griffin III produced a season-low 45.4 passer rating and didn't look right throwing the ball in the 45-21 loss. Denver held the Redskins quarterback to 132 yards and intercepted him twice in the rout.

Asked about Washington's problems through the air, wide receiver Pierre Garcon turned the question around.

"We've had trouble passing all year to tell you the truth. What do you think?" he asked reporters after the game, per WJFK-FM's Grant Paulsen. " ... I can only run the routes, try to make separation. That's the only thing I really can do."

Teams have passed for 380.6 yards per game against Denver, but Washington didn't take advantage of that.

"Doesn't matter (who you're playing)," Garcon said. "If you suck at passing, you suck at passing ... We've just got to figure it out."

Garcon made it clear his rant was about the system, not his quarterback, but let's be honest: RGIII's sophomore outing has been a bumpy ride.

His completion percentage, passer rating and rushing yards per game all have regressed from what he accomplished during his explosive rookie campaign. A year ago, RGIII tossed 20 touchdowns to just five picks. His current 9-to-8 ratio tells the tale of an average quarterback.

Nobody expected miracles from a player coming off major knee surgery, but it's surprising to see Griffin's accuracy and touch trail off to such a degree. He's also saddled with one of the NFL's worst defenses, a unit that has the offense playing from behind which has put Griffin into a corner he has yet to back himself out of.

We're still waiting for that to happen.

The latest "Around the League Podcast" has takeaways from every Week 8 game.

I think he was hit on a ridiculous amount of his drop backs last game. Like 18 out of 33. Some of it his fault for holding to long, but any QB is going to struggle when that rush is coming in repeatedly like that. The play calling failed to adjust and he failed to adjust. Regressing a bit this week, we'll see how next week plays out.

This week was better but still very inconsistent throwing the ball. Made some great throws and missed some real easy ones. The skins offense looked better but I don't see how I can start him over rivers for the time being. Starting him this week cost me the win.

I just traded for this guy. Suckered Pawned him off on the new Trent Richardson owner

*********** LOOK AT ME!!!! ***************

why all the long faces in the RG3 threads? No wonder I bought low. never paid no mind to IRG3 until Rodgers went down. Let's get this train back on the tracks fellas!

:drive:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just traded for this guy. Suckered Pawned him off on the new Trent Richardson owner

*********** LOOK AT ME!!!! ***************

why all the long faces in the RG3 threads? No wonder I bought low. never paid no mind to IRG3 until Rodgers went down. Let's get this train back on the tracks fellas!

:drive:
It hasn't been that bad really. He is QB10 in my 12 team league based on points per game. He has been up and down, but he is on pace for: 4300 yards passing, 500 yards rushing and 18 TDs.

I have no idea what to expect from him at this point. I thought he threw the ball well last week but he didn't throw any TDs. After two straight games of running really well he hasn't done anything the last two games on the ground. The matchup is certainly sensational tomorrow night but who knows what he'll do at this point. There's no consistency to his game and no consistency to what the game plan seems to be for him either.

I'm reluctant to start him anymore either....only other options are Keenum or Locker though. Matchup is great on paper but he's been all over the place. I need some damn TDs out of this guy.

I'm reluctant to start him anymore either....only other options are Keenum or Locker though. Matchup is great on paper but he's been all over the place. I need some damn TDs out of this guy.
Tomorrow's a pretty big day in my opinion for RG3's ROS value. If he can't take advantage of this type of incredibly wonderful matchup I think it will be impossible to start him with any level of confidence going forward. What I don't understand is why Washington went away from the Read Option the last two weeks after he ran so well the prior two games. Looked like he was really getting back on track running the ball but he's done nothing there the last two weeks.

Tomorrow's a pretty big day in my opinion for RG3's ROS value. If he can't take advantage of this type of incredibly wonderful matchup I think it will be impossible to start him with any level of confidence going forward. What I don't understand is why Washington went away from the Read Option the last two weeks after he ran so well the prior two games. Looked like he was really getting back on track running the ball but he's done nothing there the last two weeks.
As a Minnesota fan and an RG3 owner. I'd love for him to have a repeat performance from last year'a matchup.

Keeps our draft pick high and my fantasy team rolling.

Great post about ROS value...I don't really know what's wrong with the whole thing. He just looks...off. Maybe it's the injuries, Shanahan, WRs, OL, a combination of all those things...who knows. I really can't say I'm starting him with any confidence at all. I'm very tempted to roll with Keenum but as a Texans homer I sense a SF or STL type dud letdown of a performance after such an emotional loss last week. Need this guy to rise up and remind us all why he was so well-regarded last year...

Great post about ROS value...I don't really know what's wrong with the whole thing. He just looks...off. Maybe it's the injuries, Shanahan, WRs, OL, a combination of all those things...who knows. I really can't say I'm starting him with any confidence at all. I'm very tempted to roll with Keenum but as a Texans homer I sense a SF or STL type dud letdown of a performance after such an emotional loss last week. Need this guy to rise up and remind us all why he was so well-regarded last year...
No way I can start him over rivers.

No offense man, but if I had Rivers I wouldn't even be in this thread worrying about it. On any week at this point.

No offense man, but if I had Rivers I wouldn't even be in this thread worrying about it. On any week at this point.
I don't know about that. It probably depends on your scoring system. If you are in a league that more heavily rewards rushing yards and TDs, they are pretty close.

One league I'm in gives 1 point for every 10 rush yards, 1 point for every 30 pass yards, 6 points for every rush TD, 4 points for every pass TD, no negative points for INT.

In that league, Rivers is QB8, RGIII is QB13. However, there have only been 3 games where Rivers outscored RGIII by more than 3 points. Week 2, Rivers outscored RGIII by 4.3 points, Week 4, Rivers outscored RGIII by 12.8 points, and week 9, Rivers outscored RGIII by 9.7 points. For comparison's sake, RGIII has also outscored Rivers by more than 3 points 3 weeks: week 3, RGIII scored 4.4 more FF points, week 6, RGIII scored 4 more FF points, and week 7, RGIII scored 13.4 more FF points.

They are close, in FF value, but if RGIII can find the endzone more (via air or ground), he could vault over Rivers.

I have Rivers and RG3 and i keep starting RG3. in the FFPC format, passing td's are 4 pts only. I keep waiting for RG3 to blow up and put up 40. I'll keep trotting him out there as I need the upside/pts now more then ever. (2 weeks to play in reg season only) Rivers while solid isnt close to RG's ceiling. If i go down with RG3 at the helm, so be it.

Yeah i guess mine is more slanted to the passing QBs bc the commish mistakenly included half point per completions....Rivers is much better in mine......RG3 is almost unstartable based on what other guys produce

The lack of TDs from him is very concerning, drives me crazy when I start him. Feels like its either a Rushing TD from an RB or he gets picked off.

None taken, but everytime i start RG3 he can't find the end zone. Rivers is #1 until RG3 shows some consistency. Guaranteed he goes off tonight because I'm starting Rivers. :deadhorse:

None taken, but everytime i start RG3 he can't find the end zone. Rivers is #1 until RG3 shows some consistency. Guaranteed he goes off tonight because I'm starting Rivers. :deadhorse:
He finds the endzone alright, just seems he finds the defender alot

Thats my issue. I could stomach seeing Rivers and his 23 pts on my bench alot more then seeing RG3 going for 45 sitting comfy on my bench.

RG is OVER due for a monster game, national audience, terrible defense, division is very much in play still, everything is aligned for a monstahhhhhhhh. !

Well I sure hope so I have Rg3,Garcon and Reed and I hope He can do something. Im not getting my hopes up becuase if he gets 20 points that would be great the way he played last week... I would love to get 300 and 3 and garcon 7-140-1 and reed 6-90-1..... I know thats Wishful thinking but they say MINN d is pretty bad.

Thats my issue. I could stomach seeing Rivers and his 23 pts on my bench alot more then seeing RG3 going for 45 sitting comfy on my bench.

RG is OVER due for a monster game, national audience, terrible defense, division is very much in play still, everything is aligned for a monstahhhhhhhh. !
ok so what does that mean? Minn blows them out haha that's the way it seems the nfl is. Everytime you think you have a sweet matchup, the boxscore looks like it's a halftime Boxscore... Not buying this and Crossing fingers and toes starting Rg3 tonight.

Here is RG's stat line for tonight:

280 yds passing, 3 td's

65 yds rushing , 1 td

1 INT

MONSTER game.

Skins over Purple , 34-27

Here is RG's stat line for tonight:

280 yds passing, 3 td's

65 yds rushing , 1 td

1 INT

MONSTER game.

Skins over Purple , 34-27
hope your right I will send you a good call kid....... Im thinking 250 and 1 td 20 rushing yards 1 int washington 21-13

Users who are viewing this thread