What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Seahawks 'Wheels Coming Off the Bus' thread (3 Viewers)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that the Seahawks "have never really been that interested" in QB Baker Mayfield. 

"I've heard nothing to corroborate Baker to the Seahawks at all," Rapoport told The Pat McAfee show. Well, that's a direct counterstrike to our last couple of blurbs linking Baker to the Seahawks. Seattle's Drew Lock/Geno Smith quarterback battle doesn't seem likely to yield much fantasy wise this year, yet they seem fairly committed to it. If the Seahawks aren't interested in Mayfield, that would seemingly leave only the Panthers in. It remains possible -- if not likely at this moment -- that cooler heads will prevail and that the Browns will start Mayfield while Deshaun Watson is suspended.

SOURCE: Pat McAfee Show

Jul 5, 2022, 4:04 PM ET

CBS Sports's Josina Anderson reports that previous reports stating the Seahawks "have never really been that interested" in QB Baker Mayfield are "inaccurate."

Anderson noted that the reports of no interest could have been floated out to help "manage the path ahead with their current situation" if the deal does fall through. Reading the tea leaves, Anderson is suggesting that Seattle is trying to save face in the scenario that sees them fail to acquire Cleveland's discarded quarterback. This seems reasonable. A potential Deshaun Watson suspension muddies the waters of Mayfield's future, though Seattle still looks to be the most likely landing spot. Mayfield would be a massive upgrade over the tandem of Drew Lock and Geno Smith if the Seahawks acquire him. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Jul 5, 2022, 10:23 PM ET

I think they're content to tank this year. I mean does Jimmy G really make them a contender and would SF trade him within the division anyway?
Does Pete Carroll really want to tank?  The guy's already one of the oldest coaches in football, how many years does he have left?

We've seen before that the difference between a terrible qb and a mediocre one can be a top five draft pick to a playoff bound team, and Jimmy G is at least much much better than Geno and Drew.  As for the rest of the roster, I'm not sure if it's good enough to compete.

As for SF, I think they might end up willing just to get out from Jimmy's salary (even if they're paying for most of it) and so there's no locker room distraction (even though he's not that kind of guy).

The Tacoma News Tribune's Gregg Bell says the Seahawks' plan has been to "roll with" a Geno Smith vs. Drew Lock quarterback battle in 2022.

With Baker Mayfield now off the market following his Wednesday trade to the Panthers, this locks in the Smith versus Lock summer quarterback competition. Both players are in the final years of their respective contracts, and Bell reports the Seahawks simply want to best position themselves for what is believed to be a "packed" 2023 quarterback draft class. It's going to be an ugly year in Seattle.

RELATED: 

Drew Lock

SOURCE: Gregg Bell on Twitter

Jul 6, 2022, 3:29 PM ET

Does Pete Carroll really want to tank?  The guy's already one of the oldest coaches in football, how many years does he have left?

We've seen before that the difference between a terrible qb and a mediocre one can be a top five draft pick to a playoff bound team, and Jimmy G is at least much much better than Geno and Drew.  As for the rest of the roster, I'm not sure if it's good enough to compete.

As for SF, I think they might end up willing just to get out from Jimmy's salary (even if they're paying for most of it) and so there's no locker room distraction (even though he's not that kind of guy).
Pete Carroll probably does believe in Drew Lock 😂 

Chum for young!   :pickle:  

Why not. Or you can live in mediocrity or try to turn things around in few years. I am not Seattle fan but I think good to give Lock chance and see what you have. If he turns it around as still young with lots of good tangibles than perfect. If he sucks than getting Stroud or Young is great. Jimmy might be better but the long term is 8-9 type of season. He is what you see. That just costs you getting franchise QB. I like what Pete is doing. He obviously is secure in his job and no panic like other teams have

Crippler said:
Why not. Or you can live in mediocrity or try to turn things around in few years. I am not Seattle fan but I think good to give Lock chance and see what you have. If he turns it around as still young with lots of good tangibles than perfect. If he sucks than getting Stroud or Young is great. Jimmy might be better but the long term is 8-9 type of season. He is what you see. That just costs you getting franchise QB. I like what Pete is doing. He obviously is secure in his job and no panic like other teams have
Lock has been in the league for three years and hasn't shown any improvement.   How much time do these guys need?

You shouldn't judge how good or bad a team is until about week 5 .
Geno Smith looked good. We will see how long that lasts.
There are a lot of leagues where he wasn't rostered

Reactions: JAA
Pretty sure this thread was started by the guy who pretended to be a Seattle fan after they demolished Denver in the SB.

Since all his posts are deleted I'm guessing he got banned at some point and it was probably funny.

Pretty sure this thread was started by the guy who pretended to be a Seattle fan after they demolished Denver in the SB.

Since all his posts are deleted I'm guessing he got banned at some point and it was probably funny.

Meatwad started this thread. The guy you're talking about was a complete tool, but he didn't start this thread.

I get that some don't like Pete Carroll's "rah rah" attitude, but that's who he genuinely is. If you can't respect that he's put a competitive team on the field during all his years in Seattle you have issues that have nothing to do with the coach or team in Seattle.

Best guess at next head coach? Bradley or Quinn. Quinn is most likely the favorite. Bradley was there building the Legion of Boom. Quinn won with them.

Russ back to Seattle now? Kidding, will be interesting to see if they stick w/ Geno though, tough call imo, an up and down year.

Not a lot of head coaches are celebrated as they get fired. Pete was a special guy. He cared about his players. He built relationships and ultimately was interested in trying to help his players become their best selves. That's what he thought it took to win.

I don't see how anyone could watch that press conference and walk away disliking Pete Carroll. I'm going to miss him as our head coach in Seattle. :kicksrock:

Seahawks fans, you are getting a great young coach! As a Ravens fan I hate to see him leave but it is his time. Macdonald was tutored under two of the best in the game in the brothers Harbaugh and he got to see leadership, player management, organization and ability to focus a team close up. I'm excited for him and will be following his career with interest.

Seahawks fans, you are getting a great young coach! As a Ravens fan I hate to see him leave but it is his time. Macdonald was tutored under two of the best in the game in the brothers Harbaugh and he got to see leadership, player management, organization and ability to focus a team close up. I'm excited for him and will be following his career with interest.
It's going to be interesting to see what his coaching style is. The Ravens are somewhat unique, so it seems a little hard to predict.

It'll be interesting to see if he falls into the more conservative Jim Harbaugh mold, or the more aggressive new school Dan Campbell mold when it comes to 4th down conversions, etc.

Whenever my team acquires a new coach/player, I'm always most interested to hear how fans of his former team react. To me that's the best indicator of how much a guy genuinely contributes.

Losing Macdonald makes me want to jump off the highest bridge in Baltimore, except there would probably be a long line of Ravens fans ahead of me. There was a groundswell in the last day in Baltimore to fire Harbaugh and hire Macdonald.

Who know how his past experience translates to being a head coach, but everyone believes he is brilliant, even-keeled, hard working, adaptable and beloved by players - in large part because all he cares about is setting them up to be as successful as they can possibly be. I don't think it's any coincidence that so many guys - whether new pros like Hamilton, mid-career guys like Madubuike, or longtime vets like Clowney - all had the best years of their career under him this year

The defensive version of Ben Johnson in terms of ability, creativity and overall potential Id say. I’ve loved the Ravens defence this year, very creative with blitz packages, misdirections and other interesting stuff. They spanked us Lions this season, the only team that completely shut Goff and our run game down. Spent time at Michigan, moved to the Ravens. Gleaned stuff from both Harbaughs. Must of come highly recommended to Jim.

Going to be very interested to see how he does and I feel it might be a great fit for the identity of Seattle. Get that D humming again. Pete Carroll to guide him over his shoulder. Almost feels like Carroll had a massive say in this.

Users who are viewing this thread