What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Last I heard, Bayern had taken out the purchase option.  But, fantastic deal if Swans kept it in.
Well, if Ruben Neves can play in the Championship, maybe Renato can, too.

I mean, he will get buckets of playing time, but the team also punted Sigurdsson this off-season and don't exactly come off as a rising club. Just seems like an odd move.

So deadline is 11pm in England, that's 6pm on the East Coast, right?  

Just trying to figure out if I will get any work done this afternoon...

The Mirror is reporting Arsenal accepted 60 million for Alexis from City.  Eagerly awaiting the underwhelming replacement. 
Sam Lee‏Verified account @Sammy_Goal

Replying to @Sammy_Goal @ChrisWheatley_

Info from the Arsenal end suggests the Lemar deal is very difficult, and Draxler deal won't happen. In my personal view, they've had a mare

Hard to read Liverpool - can't tell if they are trying to get business done before announcing Coutinho, or if they are silly enough to keep an unhappy Coutinho and pass up all the money.  He will certainly be worth less next summer - probably significantly so.
I can't imagine Barcelona is really offering anything over 100M.  That's beyond absurd.

BREAKING NEWS

We understand Tottenham are discussing a deal to sign Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes.

Gomes is a similar profile to Ross Barkley and Barcelona, who want want to sell some players, have put both him and Arda Turan on the market.

Spurs remain interested in Barkley but have been put off making a move for him in this window due to his injury.
From Sky Sports Transfer Centre

Gomes was poor for Barcelona, but he has a great skillset and work ethic.  If Poch thinks he can adapt to Tottenham's pressing attack then he might be a steal right now.
He would be coming in as a backup to Eriksen and/or Dembele.  Good business if it happens.

Two things still stand in the way - Barça want a straight loan, Spurs want an option to purchase.  And, I think Gomes wants to play - which might make West Ham a more likely destination.

He would be coming in as a backup to Eriksen and/or Dembele.  Good business if it happens.

Two things still stand in the way - Barça want a straight loan, Spurs want an option to purchase.  And, I think Gomes wants to play - which might make West Ham a more likely destination.
With CL and Dembele's injury issues I think he would get a lot of playing time (probably at Winks' expense).

Would rather just sell him.  He has been abysmal.  Lazy and poor passing.

July: Arsenal reject £10m for Kieran Gibbs & decide £52m is too much for Lemar.

August: Arsenal accept £7m for Gibbs & bid £92m for Lemar.

:thumbup:

*Everyone seems to be reporting that Sanchez will now stay at Arsenal, and the Lemar deal is off.

BOOOOOO!!!!  EPL should lighten-up...

Swansea City AFC‏Verified account @SwansOfficial

It was all going so well... The #PL reject the number 85 for @renatosanches35.

He will now wear 35  for the #Swans this season.

July: Arsenal reject £10m for Kieran Gibbs & decide £52m is too much for Lemar.

August: Arsenal accept £7m for Gibbs & bid £92m for Lemar.

:thumbup:

*Everyone seems to be reporting that Sanchez will now stay at Arsenal, and the Lemar deal is off.
It's almost like trying to do your business at the very end of the transfer window is a bad idea. 

I mean, I get how Arsenal got stuck.  They signed Lacazette (good!) at that current market value.  Then that market got blown up by Neymar.  They wanted to add Lemar and they hoped that by strengthening the side, they could sell Alexis on staying long term.  They weren't getting great offers for Alexis because everyone knew he could leave on a free next summer. 

So I understand all of that.  But they kept doing the typical Arsene crap with Lemar when it was clear that they were in a different market.  And Alexis sulking at the first sign of adversity seemed pretty predictable.  Even if they make the awesome offer to Monaco on Monday, they have time to talk to the player.  But it seems like they had to hear that Liverpool was willing to pay big money to make them willing to pay.  And they have the money.  They knew they could get a ridiculous fee for Ox.  They had other assets too.  Or they could have seriously named a price for Alexis and let Chelsea and City have it out. 

I mean, I get how Arsenal got stuck.  They signed Lacazette (good!) at that current market value.  Then that market got blown up by Neymar.  They wanted to add Lemar and they hoped that by strengthening the side, they could sell Alexis on staying long term.  They weren't getting great offers for Alexis because everyone knew he could leave on a free next summer. 

So I understand all of that.  But they kept doing the typical Arsene crap with Lemar when it was clear that they were in a different market.  And Alexis sulking at the first sign of adversity seemed pretty predictable.  Even if they make the awesome offer to Monaco on Monday, they have time to talk to the player.  But it seems like they had to hear that Liverpool was willing to pay big money to make them willing to pay.  And they have the money.  They knew they could get a ridiculous fee for Ox.  They had other assets too.  Or they could have seriously named a price for Alexis and let Chelsea and City have it out. 
Perhaps Arsenal fans should familiarize themselves with Kroenke's other work.  Rams - 4-12.  Avalanche - last place. Rapids - last place.   He's good at building stadiums, but putting the people in place to actually run the teams is a different story.   

All schtick aside - Arsenal got stuck when they decided to keep Wenger.  This was the best time to thank him for his time, and move on with someone else.  Give them the excuse of clearing out some players and bringing in new faces this summer.  A year in Europa would have been the right time to take a small step back, but get re-organized under a new manager.

Now, they will either be stuck with Ozil - or let him go fro free.  I think they could keep Sanchez - if they had a plan for the future - but Wenger is the past, not the future, so they probably lose Sanchez for nothing.  I suspect it will be a demoralizing year, and Wenger will be gone before the end (of the year...).  With Arsenal already at a crossroads with so many players, there really was no good reason to keep Wenger - let a new manager make those decisions.

PSG announced on their Twitter that they've signed Mbappe.

Neymar and Mbappe paired together on the attack is a frightening concept. Add Cavani and it's just obscene.

Users who are viewing this thread