What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

looks like Valcke is next on the hit list. Click for full story, these are just snippets

==============================

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2476058/fifa-official-jerome-valcke-responsible-for-$10m-payoff

U.S. authorities say FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke allegedly made $10 million in payments at the centre of the scandal sweeping through world football's governing body, according to the New York Times.

Valcke, who denied culpability to the Times and has not been charged, is FIFA's highest non-elected official and would be the top figure yet targeted in an investigation that has already seen two sitting vice presidents and a dozen others connected to the game indicted on federal charges including bribery, racketeering and money laundering.

Earlier on Monday, Valcke cancelled his planned trip to represent FIFA at the Women's World Cup in Canada, which begins this weekend.

"It is important that he attend to matters at FIFA's headquarters in Zurich," Fischer said.
Like destroying incriminating evidence?
My guess is They have his signature on at least on of the wires (there were 3) from the bank.

So maybe I'm just not up on my Thai slurs, but what was racist about the Leicester City video? I've only seen the 1 minute clip on deadspin, but didn't really hear any slurs. Just a bunch of dude's with English accents going all Patrick Bateman (minus the murder) on some Asian whores.
I have not watched the video. According to reports, the term "Slits" was used.
Are we sure that was a reference to their ethnicity? :oldunsure:

So maybe I'm just not up on my Thai slurs, but what was racist about the Leicester City video? I've only seen the 1 minute clip on deadspin, but didn't really hear any slurs. Just a bunch of dude's with English accents going all Patrick Bateman (minus the murder) on some Asian whores.
See, I thought they were just saying "sluts" with their weird accents/

Are we sure that was a reference to their ethnicity? :oldunsure:
An excellent question.

Having two soccer threads is dumb
Agreed. I very rarely visit the other thread.
I have finally bought into it- and today was a great example of why and how it can work.

late US game that I won't see until tonight- don't want to know what happened, so I'll only look in this thread... because US stuff is supposed to go in the other thread, but everything else will go here. unless you're quiz guy.

I have finally bought into it- and today was a great example of why and how it can work.

late US game that I won't see until tonight- don't want to know what happened, so I'll only look in this thread... because US stuff is supposed to go in the other thread, but everything else will go here. unless you're quiz guy.
OTOH, I didn't know a US game was on at all because nobody was posting about it here...

OTOH, I didn't know a US game was on at all because nobody was posting about it here...
Did you know if you post in the other thread just one time you get a blue star by the title? Its neato!

Well the game was on at 3:00am last night. There were only a couple who watched it live I think so there was not going to be a lot of posting on it no matter what.

Some of us have now watched it on DVR and have posted some comments in the US thread.

FTR, I thought the US game was tonight. Didn't realize it was overnight until seeing it mentioned above because I haven't checked into the US thread in a day or two. I'm in favor of just one thread rather than 2, I have enough trouble keeping up with this one. I don't really care either way, but 1 would be my preference if people are considering it.

Valcke is so done it's not even funny. FIFA "advancing" the 10 million is basically them admitting they paid for SA to win. Just unbelievable.

Let me put his succinctly, but boldly...

FIFA just admitted they fronted the bribe money for South Africa to win the 2010 WC.

For all intents and purposes, FIFA is criminally complicit by US laws, we'll have to see what the Swiss decide.

oh and you get bet the DOJ/FBI kept this nugget to themselves for the vote to see how it played out. They gave Blatter et al the chance to step aside and are now going to continually leak things. You can bet there's more from where this is coming from.

I really see Blatter and FIFA as cockroaches... nuclear armageddon will scorch the world around them, but they'll keep scurrying along doing their thing without batting a little insect eyelash.

eta: I hope it's not the case, but I just feel like a year from now, all of this will hardly be a blip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really see Blatter and FIFA as cockroaches... nuclear armageddon will scorch the world around them, but they'll keep scurrying along doing their thing without batting a little insect eyelash.

eta: I hope it's not the case, but I just feel like a year from now, all of this will hardly be a blip.
Well they'll be cockroaches that can't leave Switzerland.

This was always how it was going to play out. Give them some rope to hang themselves and then keep leaking documents. The US Attorney General and FBI Director don't do that press conference if they don't have the goods many times over. You don't think Blazer and Warner's kids have given them every document known to man? Keep in mind Blazer was so integral to this entire thing, it's not even funny.

This is starting to feel like someone is standing on a chair screaming "NEXT!"

This is the son in law of former Fifa president Joao Havalange

==============================

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - Brazilian federal police requested that prosecutors charge the former president of the country's soccer confederation with corruption crimes related to $147 million in "atypical" bank transfers as he led preparations for the 2014 World Cup.

Local newsmagazine Epoca was the first to report on the inquiry, saying it had obtained the two-year police investigation into Ricardo Teixeira, which was concluded and delivered to prosecutors in January but was not made public.

This was always how it was going to play out. Give them some rope to hang themselves and then keep leaking documents. The US Attorney General and FBI Director don't do that press conference if they don't have the goods many times over. You don't think Blazer and Warner's kids have given them every document known to man? Keep in mind Blazer was so integral to this entire thing, it's not even funny.
I'm not following the ins and outs... but as long as they don't show up in the US, they're ok, right? is the thought that any other country will hold and extradite them to the US?

and again- I would love for them all to go through the spanking machine... still just feel dubious that it will actually happen.

I'm not sure how extradition works, but I think there are many countries that have good extradition treaties with US. I would think at least SOME will be making their way to US courts over racketeering charges.

Put on your boots. The BS level should be off the charts. :)

FIFA has called for a world wide press conference in Zurich tonight at 6:00pm (local time). It should have started by now but there looks to be a delay.

Speculation is that they will be making up their own fairy tale for the $10m Valcke issue.

From a reporter on the scene

===========================

There’s confirmation that Sepp Blatter will be speaking at the press conference along with Domenico Scala (head of audit and compliance committee) and Walter De Gregorio, the tin-hatted director of communications who has really had to earn his money in the past week. But no Jérôme Valcke. Make of that what you will.

FTR, I thought the US game was tonight. Didn't realize it was overnight until seeing it mentioned above because I haven't checked into the US thread in a day or two. I'm in favor of just one thread rather than 2, I have enough trouble keeping up with this one. I don't really care either way, but 1 would be my preference if people are considering it.
If it was all one thread it would be even harder to keep up. When the FIFA news broke last week this thread was flooded with that stuff (as most of it is right now). It was awesome to have the other thread to talk about National team stuff. Even SpursGuys went in there to talk Spurs under the guise of Yedlin talk because this thread was moving so fast with scandal talk.

Also worth mentioning the thread was actually created for casual fans who don't give a #### about club soccer or politics. They just wanted to try to follow USMNT year round.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not following the ins and outs... but as long as they don't show up in the US, they're ok, right? is the thought that any other country will hold and extradite them to the US?

and again- I would love for them all to go through the spanking machine... still just feel dubious that it will actually happen.
Well, they won't be setting foot in the US, Canada (Valcke cancelled his trip there for Monday), England, Germany (or probably any other EU country), or any of their territories.

There's a document out there from the SA FA to Valcke saying please use 10 million of the winning proceeds to pay CONCACAF before the voting was done...we'll pay you back when we win. Ergo...paying a bribe. Good luck weaseling your way out of this way anywhere in the English speaking world.

The release of this document was literally an hour after FIFA had thrown the old Argentina guy who died recently (I forget his name) under the bus saying Valcke had nothing to do with the payment.

There is supposedly a FIFA press conference momentarily to address this, but it was suppose to have started 13 minutes ago, so we shall see.

Well, they won't be setting foot in the US, Canada (Valcke cancelled his trip there for Monday), England, Germany (or probably any other EU country), or any of their territories.

There's a document out there from the SA FA to Valcke saying please use 10 million of the winning proceeds to pay CONCACAF before the voting was done...we'll pay you back when we win. Ergo...paying a bribe. Good luck weaseling your way out of this way anywhere in the English speaking world.

The release of this document was literally an hour after FIFA had thrown the old Argentina guy who died recently (I forget his name) under the bus saying Valcke had nothing to do with the payment.

There is supposedly a FIFA press conference momentarily to address this, but it was suppose to have started 13 minutes ago, so we shall see.
It is comical. Here is the progression from the reporter covering the press conference.

The South African Football Association (SAFA) chairman, Danny Jordaan, denies the country bribed Fifa officials to help secure the 2010 World Cup through payments worth $10m

Fifa claims Julio Grondona, the former chairman of Fifa’s finance committee who died last year, authorised $10m payments that were ‘executed in accordance with Organisation Regulations’ to Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer

Letter from SAFA addressed to secretary general, Jérôme Valcke, contradicts Fifa’s claims payments that have been described by US investigators as a ‘bribe’ were paid to Julio Grondona

Fifa hastily arranges press conference

Bryan Swanson Bryan Swanson

@skysports_bryan

22h

FIFA confirms to #SSNHQ that Sepp Blatter intends to travel to USA next month for CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Lol

Further delay. It’s now going to be 5.45pm. It also looks as though Sepp Blatter and Domenico Scala’s nameplates have been removed, leaving just the head of communications, Walter De Gregorio, to deliver whatever zinger Fifa has lined up for us today.

Users who are viewing this thread