What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (9 Viewers)

This whole story has been too good to be true from the start, and now it has a happy ending too.

(Yes, I know FIFA will still FIFA -- but that's a different story. They actually got the mofo.)

That was abrupt. He finished his specch and walked right out of the room. No questions

Domenico Scala will oversee the new election including reforms to the way FIFA is structured. He is speaking now. Next vote of FIFA Congress is May 2016 which is too far out. Therefore FIFA Executive Committee will vote in December of this year to elect a new candidate.

Pretty sure many of the Exec Committee have been indicted so it will be interesting who sits on the committee come the election.

Why continue your run for re-election if you're just going to resign a couple of days later? Did he just want to go out on top?
The Feds showed the document that proved the $10m from South Africa was a bribe. Gotta guess his thinking was along the lines of, "Holy ####...if they've got that..."

Seems like we are too far down the road to pull the 2018 WC from Russia, and even the 2022 WC from Qatar, though that may have a chance to be pulled if FIFA acknowledges that the vote was tainted with bribes from Qatar.

That was abrupt. He finished his specch and walked right out of the room. No questions

Domenico Scala will oversee the new election including reforms to the way FIFA is structured. He is speaking now. Next vote of FIFA Congress is May 2016 which is too far out. Therefore FIFA Executive Committee will vote in December of this year to elect a new candidate.

Pretty sure many of the Exec Committee have been indicted so it will be interesting who sits on the committee come the election.
If FIFA tries to keep the current ExCo in place for those elections it would bring them down IMO. How much more does UEFA need to force real change?

Could this open up a fair bidding process for WC 2018 & 2022

Good god I can't get my mind around this.
Fixed
Damn it, what did I miss? Quick summary please
Just wishful thinking on my part :hifive:
Crap. I guess that would be too go to be true.

But if we have to sacrifice the Copa next summer for this explosion, it might be worth it.

I just hope that they can find a way to have 2026 be as fair as possible.

2018 may happen in Russia, but I think it's more probably than not that 2022 get pulled from Qatar. If UEFA takes the lead, they'll pull it from there as they don't a winter WC.

Have never believed Qatar was going to happen. No doubt in my mind now it either gets moved or FIFA disintegrates.

Betting markets now have it 5/6 both ways -- Qatar hosing or not hosting. So 50/50.

Last edited by a moderator:
2018 may happen in Russia, but I think it's more probably than not that 2022 get pulled from Qatar. If UEFA takes the lead, they'll pull it from there as they don't a winter WC.
I wonder what financial liability FIFA would be under if they pulled it from Qatar?

You would think though this would be a great moment in the near future for FIFA to show that they have changed by exposing the 2022 corruption and pulling it. They would even have the basic human rights guys on their side.

It would be almost a no lose situation to pull it (outside of the liability I mentioned above).

Well the timing doesn't make much sense to pull 2018. They won't have a new President until early '16 then would have to vote to take it away and then give it to someone else. That would put you to late 2016 or so.

Looking forward to John Oliver this week:

Then Oliver made a personal plea to these sponsors: “Please, make Sepp Blatter go away. I will do anything. Adidas, I will wear one of your ugly shoes that make me look like the Greek god of aspiring DJs. McDonalds, I will take a bite out of every item on your dollar menu, which tastes like normal food that was cursed by a vindictive wizard. And I will even make the ultimate sacrifice. Budweiser, if you pull your support and help get rid of Blatter, I will…personally drink one of your disgusting items…It can be a Bud Light. I will even drink a Bud Light Lime, despite the fact that all the lime in the world cannot disguise the fact that this tastes like a puddle beneath a Long John Silver’s dumpster.

“But I will do it. I will drink one, making eye contact with the camera, and I will say it was delicious. Because if you get rid of the Swiss demon who has ruined the sport I love, this stuff will taste like f**king champagne.”

Unless the structure massively changes, Africa and Asia will continue to sway everything. They have too many votes.

Worst case for me is that Platini takes over and the whole cycle of corruption continues a new.

I actually want UEFA to take the lead though, ignoring the Platini filth. I strongly believe FIFA needs to be influenced by the strongest countries and not the minnows.

Users who are viewing this thread