What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official The Last of Us HBO TV thread***** Pro clicker rights in here! (3 Viewers)

I think his decision was entirely based on his guilt for not saving his daughter and has almost nothing to do with Ellie
I think it's obvious Ellie became a surrogate for his lost daughter and he couldn't stand to lose a second daughter for "the cause". His first daughter was shot down for no good reason - just to slow the spread - and the same could very well have happened here - since they didn't know if the "cure" would actually work.

Lets be honest here and admit he murdered the doctor.
He murdered every one at the facility technically - although I suppose there are some elements of "self-defense" and the defense of others that blur the lines.
He was the guy literally tasked with bringing her there for this purpose. He never thought that there could be repercussions to them using her as a Guinea pig for a cure? You think she hadn’t also thought of that?

Well, she went from just cargo to being a stand-in for his daughter. So things changed.

I get the need to try and find a cure. I find it really implausible one doctor would be able to perform complex neurosurgery, extract the cordyceps growth and preserve it, have the technical wherewithal to isolate the exact chemical neurotransmitters/enzymes, properly analyze them and then replicate them on a large enough scale to save humanity. Especially, given the fact that he was worried they wouldn't have enough power for the operation itself.

It brings up a lot of interesting thoughts about how interdependent we are, as a species. Advances in technology and modern medicine, manufacturing, food production- all things we take for granted in daily life- really depend on the contributions of a huge cohort of individuals, all working together. I don't know that production of a "cure" for the infection is plausible, at all, without access to Surgeons, Lab scientists, geneticists, technical equipment manufacturers, electronic maintenance people, computer programmers and IT infrastructure, plant maintenance people. It's staggering to think of the scope of work involved, and just how fragile that connection is. We truly stand on the shoulders of giants, just enjoying modern life.

I think it's obvious Ellie became a surrogate for his lost daughter and he couldn't stand to lose a second daughter for "the cause". His first daughter was shot down for no good reason - just to slow the spread - and the same could very well have happened here - since they didn't know if the "cure" would actually work.
Yeah, it’s about his daughter. He’s still trying to make up for that mistake of his. Not sure killing a bunch of people trying to save the world was the answer.

Yeah, it’s about his daughter. He’s still trying to make up for that mistake of his. Not sure killing a bunch of people trying to save the world was the answer.
He did it because of what they had become. They were willing to murder a young child without knowing if it would do any good. I’m not sure he killed the “good guys” here.

Not a single person guessed the ending so hes not alone
Well I thought it would take a lot longer to actually reach the hospital for starters. I wasn’t even sure they ever would reach that location. So it’s a bit more open ended than if they want to use this kid as medical experiment, could that cause her serious harm?

Obviously quite an episode to generate such discussion. Can’t wait for season 2 but I will rooting against Joel. He has to keep her safe but he has a long way to go to redeem himself.

Agree that the different ways of viewing the actions involved is part of what makes this a great story.

As I read comments about Joel's selfishness in the act, etc, I also can't help but have this clip from another show flit through my head:

He murdered every one at the facility technically - although I suppose there are some elements of "self-defense" and the defense of others that blur the lines.
He was the guy literally tasked with bringing her there for this purpose. He never thought that there could be repercussions to them using her as a Guinea pig for a cure? You think she hadn’t also thought of that?

Well, she went from just cargo to being a stand-in for his daughter. So things changed.
I agree totally. But I see that as fitting together with the "Joel is a bad guy" takes. Joel was fine with taking Ellie across the country on an incredibly dangerous trip that probably neither of them would survive for the purpose of making one last desperate attempt to save humanity. Along the way, the caught the dad-feels for her and that brought back all the pain of losing his daughter and all of that. And the end of it all, he chose his own personal feelings over the preservation of species. If one were so inclined, one could easily spin this into a story about how human feelings/relationships bring out the best in us but also lead to our downfall.

I strongly agree that this ending provokes good discussion. It's legitimately open to various readings.

I agree totally. But I see that as fitting together with the "Joel is a bad guy" takes. Joel was fine with taking Ellie across the country on an incredibly dangerous trip that probably neither of them would survive for the purpose of making one last desperate attempt to save humanity. Along the way, the caught the dad-feels for her and that brought back all the pain of losing his daughter and all of that. And the end of it all, he chose his own personal feelings over the preservation of species. If one were so inclined, one could easily spin this into a story about how human feelings/relationships bring out the best in us but also lead to our downfall.

I strongly agree that this ending provokes good discussion. It's legitimately open to various readings.

I think that is right. Only issue is that based on what Marlene said to Joel, the odds of a cure being successful are very slim, and perhaps a non-lethal means/research could have been explored first. But that doesn't make for a good game/story. Is Joel "bad" for wanting to prevent this person he cares about from sure death versus some hope and prayer that she is the savior? It sounded like there have been some kind of attempts of a cure in the past that went nowhere and Joel being a realist knows it is for naught. He was fine with the journey at first -- doing it for Tess and "money" but once he cared about Ellie, he knew in his mind at least that it was a fool's errand. And if her life was at stake, it was not worth the gamble.

I'm really hoping that they include the Hillcrest mission in season two. That was probably the most intense video game mission I have ever experienced.

For those who don't remember, Hillcrest was a tense and intense section of the game in which Ellie found themselves in a battle against the WLF/Serephites. On grounded mode, this mission was particularly challenging and required the utmost strategy and skill to survive.

I personally found this mission to be one of the most memorable moments of the game, and I'm sure many of you feel the same way. So, my question is, do you think the Hillcrest mission should be included in Season 2 of The Last of Us.

PT II SPOILER TALK

Obviously quite an episode to generate such discussion. Can’t wait for season 2 but I will rooting against Joel. He has to keep her safe but he has a long way to go to redeem himself.
There are heroes, morally ambiguous heroes, anti-heroes, and villains. An argument could be made for Joel being one or all of them.
Yeah, Joel and everyone else on this show (with exception of a couple clear villains). Seems like it is just me, but I found it really hard to connect with any character on this show, maybe with the exception of Henry. Also an odd combo of no development and too much development episodes.

If 30 years into the apocalypse some random guy described as a doctor by a shady group of murders tells me they are going to kill the person who has saved my life, who I have risked my life for, etc in the off chance that they can create a cure from a busted up lab with a handful of people with some cockamamey reasoning...I think I am going to go Rambo as well.

In my defense I thought we had another episode to go lol

(snip to avoid all spoilers)
Personally, I doubt it. Things that are cool in video games don't necessarily translate well to the screen (and vice versa). If I were making this show, I would focus on human drama and not so much on the action, and it sounds like that's mostly the tack they've taken so far. I'd be a little surprised if they changed that going forward.

For example, I'm noticing a lot of comments from people who didn't like Joel getting all action-y at the end of the hospital sequence. That's the danger of trying to adapt a video game to a different medium. It's just hard to pull off.

Joel was probably wrong, but I understand. He loved Ellie and had severe trauma from not protecting his daughter 20 years earlier.

The fireflies were wrong for rushing into it without talking to Ellie but I understand too. They had to think this was their last chance ever and weren’t going to let it get away. They didn’t know Ellie was willingly walking in there.

At first I thought Joel was especially cruel for killing that doctor — I mean, there’s a chance he is the last person on earth who has that knowledge. But the doctor was also cold for saying I won’t let you take her out of here. So, here’s your bullet too I guess.

Everybody was right and everybody was wrong.

Joel was probably wrong, but I understand. He loved Ellie and had severe trauma from not protecting his daughter 20 years earlier.

The fireflies were wrong for rushing into it without talking to Ellie but I understand too. They had to think this was their last chance ever and weren’t going to let it get away. They didn’t know Ellie was willingly walking in there.

At first I thought Joel was especially cruel for killing that doctor — I mean, there’s a chance he is the last person on earth who has that knowledge. But the doctor was also cold for saying I won’t let you take her out of here. So, here’s your bullet too I guess.

Think that’s why he did kill him. Wasn’t the statement or the scalpel he was holding. There is a chance he’s the last person on earth with that knowledge. He’s not going to have to go through this again down the road.

They should have sat down and talked with Joel and Ellie, explain their plan and let her decide if she wants to go through with it. Without her consent, it’s murder. More than likely she goes through with it and is able to get Joel to accept her decision. Instead they try and strong arm both of them and they pay for it.
Her body, her choice.

To be fair, maybe they did discuss the operation with her beforehand. She could have know that she was going to die but was still willing to go through with it.

They should have sat down and talked with Joel and Ellie, explain their plan and let her decide if she wants to go through with it. Without her consent, it’s murder. More than likely she goes through with it and is able to get Joel to accept her decision. Instead they try and strong arm both of them and they pay for it.
Her body, her choice.

To be fair, maybe they did discuss the operation with her beforehand. She could have know that she was going to die but was still willing to go through with it.
Marlene said otherwise.

Her body, her choice.

Marlene said otherwise.

And Ellie said otherwise. If the Fireflies had told her anything close to the truth of what they were going to do, she'd never have believed there were dozens of other people like her and they'd given up.

Her body, her choice.

Marlene said otherwise.

And Ellie said otherwise. If the Fireflies had told her anything close to the truth of what they were going to do, she'd never have believed there were dozens of other people like her and they'd given up.
THIS.

It is sad really. He found a way to "feel" again, but then became unhealthily obsessed.

But would you as a father sacrifice your only child to maybe save the world (cure not nearly 100% and who knows what is left of society at this point anyway)?

Not a chance.
**** no. My two daughters will live and the rest of you will just have to die. Sorry, not sorry.

With the finale behind us, I would rate this show as somewhere between good and very good, but not great. Writing and pacing of the season were off IMO. Also didn't need certain gratuitous tropes that were thrown in. Still enjoyed it overall, but out of the last three shows I've watched, it was #3 for me,

Behind 1923, and

Well behind Black Bird. Off-topic, but of you want to watch an amazing show, this is an amazing show... https://youtu.be/X0KEqxu9kdA

I've seen a lot of comments on the web expressing disappointment in Joel's "evil" choice, and that there would be no way they would choose the life of one, even one that they love, over the chance to save humanity. I think the beauty and genius of the ending of TLOU is... easier said than done.

Any predictions from the non-game folks for the finale?
I've never played the game, but now that the series is over I've started watching it nightly with my wife. Unless there's a reversal of what I've seen in the first 3 episodes, the finale will involve one person trying to protect one person.

Joel tries to protect his daughter. She dies, he feels like he failed.
Joel tries to protect Tess. She dies, he feels like he failed.
Joel is currently (in episode 3) trying to protect Ellie.
Tess tries to protect Joel. She dies doing so.
Bill tries to protect Frank. He dies happy.
Frank tries to protect Bill. He dies happy.
Bill leaves everything to Joel, so he can protect someone.

That's my guess, not prediction, based on what I've seen in the first 3 episodes. I'll get to the finale whenever I get to it.

Liking the series so far, despite the first 2 episodes seeming a bit structured like [walk into room/area/whatever] [action] [walk into another room/area/whatever] [action] etc. Not real free-flowing. But the series is far too good so far to let that interfere with watching it.

I feel like I've seen a lot of people say Bella isn't a good actress but either they are crazy or I'm crazy.
Yeah, they're crazy or have some silly agenda or something. She's intelligent but also doesn't know some practical things about the world, and is quite adept at learning how to deal with and manipulate those older and more powerful than herself, to whom she knows she has value. In the first 3 episodes I've seen (just started watching it) she's a 14-year-old orphan who then is left in a world where a fungus is eating mankind. She seems to be handling it and herself very well. Very well-acted role through 3 episodes.

Her body, her choice.

Marlene said otherwise.

I don’t know squat about the second game, but I didn’t get a good feeling that Ellie truly believed him.

With the finale behind us, I would rate this show as somewhere between good and very good, but not great. Writing and pacing of the season were off IMO. Also didn't need certain gratuitous tropes that were thrown in. Still enjoyed it overall, but out of the last three shows I've watched, it was #3 for me,

Behind 1923, and

Well behind Black Bird. Off-topic, but of you want to watch an amazing show, this is an amazing show... https://youtu.be/X0KEqxu9kdA

1923 was one of the worst shows I’ve ever seen in my life. TLOU was miles better than that.

I was surprised they not only found them, but how fast the whole plot advanced in like twenty minutes. I wasn't expecting Ell being in danger from the doctors, but I don't have a conspiracy theory brain default at all.

Telling Joel about the operation was kind of reminiscent of the villains in James Bond telling him all their plans with enough time to stop the plan then tying him up loosely with no guards.

Joel taking them all out was not an issue, this plan to duplicate the cure sounded hokey and distributing it to people would never happen. Even if you did there are apparently millions of infected that would rip you apart. Head back to the town with Christmas lights and bacon, shore up that defense for that town, and ride out your time.

Her bite would be seen so need a plan for that story.

Bummed the series is over so quick.
Yeah, that’s the video game part of it. If he has no idea he can’t even think about stopping it. I also thought the plan seemed hokey as well. Wouldn’t the cordecyp (sp?) die after removal? Couldn’t you get the protein out of Ellie without killing her? Wouldn’t it be better not to instantly kill her? I know it’s gotta work a certain way but it did make me wonder.

Might have been clearer if they'd stuck with the game wording. Joel: "But it grows all over the brain". Pretty much sends the signal that you can't just remove it without harming her brain.

If you remember what a Clicker looks like, all that on the head is the Cordyceps having grown out of their brain.
Thanks, I get that and I understand it’s based on a video game so no big deal at all. I enjoyed the season. I just thought that killing the only immune person without even trying to study the protein in her blood or spinal fluid, etc. makes more sense than killing her and her fungus friend on a hunch might be not so smart.
Wait till season two and three…..you will find out all of that.

Also an odd combo of no development and too much development episodes.
If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even know about the various stages of the infected (clickers, etc.) - maybe it's something I missed, While I'm glad they weren't the real focus of the show, a little more background there would have been nice. Except for the one scene where they came flowing out of the hole at the farm (which also wasn't really explained), they did not seem like much of a threat.

If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even know about the various stages of the infected (clickers, etc.) - maybe it's something I missed, While I'm glad they weren't the real focus of the show, a little more background there would have been nice. Except for the one scene where they came flowing out of the hole at the farm (which also wasn't really explained), they did not seem like much of a threat.
The show creator said they couldn’t really focus on them because it’s not like a video game where you can just respawn and I guess it’s not terribly realistic (lol) to keep fighting those things off without getting a bite or scratch.

Her body, her choice.

The main woman told Joel that they did not tell Ellie about the operation, that she was unconscious and would feel no pain.

Her body, her choice.

The main woman told Joel that they did not tell Ellie about the operation, that she was unconscious and would feel no pain.
The fact that she gave Joel the knife, knowing it was Ellie's mom's that was given to her at birth, meant she knew that Ellie had 0% chance of survival. I don't know that Ellie makes that choice now that she has Joel -- someone who cares about her, protects her, and made evident that he wouldn't leave her behind.

Interestingly in the game, you cannot advance until you kill the doctor. Most other spots in the game, you can attempt to sneak by (or ignore) enemies and be on your way. I remember playing it and thinking, this guy has no gun, no training, I'll just grab her and go. But you can't.

Agreed, I know very little about any of that, having not played the game. Seemed like if you are not in a metro, this is no threat at all.

Bigger picture, it was a bit frustrating to have full backstory episodes followed by "suddenly they are 2000 miles from where they were"... "suddenly Joel is fully recovered from near death"... "suddenly they have a new vehicle, when the story began with a simple car battery being a critical/elusive need." I just feel like - for my viewing interests - the journey, and unique dangers and challenges along the way, is the story I hoped for. Hard to imagine they cross an entire country and encounter just two towns and a cabin with an old couple.

There are heroes, morally ambiguous heroes, anti-heroes, and villains. An argument could be made for Joel being one or all of them.
Yeah, Joel and everyone else on this show (with exception of a couple clear villains). Seems like it is just me, but I found it really hard to connect with any character on this show, maybe with the exception of Henry. Also an odd combo of no development and too much development episodes.
I connect with Joel 100%. Ironically I also have a fourteen year old daughter named El, lol. I would have done exactly what he did under the circumstances. There has to be other doctors with better ideas out there imo. Keeping Ell alive is the #1 priority now.

I connect with Joel 100%. Ironically I also have a fourteen year old daughter named El, lol. I would have done exactly what he did under the circumstances. There has to be other doctors with better ideas out there imo. Keeping Ell alive is the #1 priority now.
Just to be clear... when I say I did not connect to the characters, I mean I did not really care what became of them. I understand what he did, and generally why. I think I'd need to see more about the challenges they overcame together in a 4000 mile trek to appreciate the characters and the depth of his/Ellie's relationship arc. The show just cut that out and instead presented one off interactions moving from apathy, to puns, to epiphany change of heart re: sending his brother - to force viewers to understand changed relationship. For me, the arc seemed too force-fed to draw me into true understanding "yeah, that guy would totally kill 15 people given the depth of the relationship."

Just to be clear... when I say I did not connect to the characters, I mean I did not really care what became of them. I understand what he did, and generally why. I think I'd need to see more about the challenges they overcame together in a 4000 mile trek to appreciate the characters and the depth of his/Ellie's relationship arc. The show just cut that out and instead presented one off interactions moving from apathy, to puns, to epiphany change of heart re: sending his brother - to force viewers to understand changed relationship. For me, the arc seemed too force-fed to draw me into true understanding "yeah, that guy would totally kill 15 people given the depth of the relationship."
It's easy enough to assume that with all that time passage, that would happen. I don't need to see it on screen myself. Would have been a waste of time. They did enough.

It's easy enough to assume that with all that time passage, that would happen. I don't need to see it on screen myself. Would have been a waste of time. They did enough.
Yes - they make it clear at the beginning of the last episode that Joel has come a long way with his relationship with Ellie.

Yeah, no one is wrong for having a different viewing experience. I totally recognize I'm on an island with a finale impression "Boy, they spent a lot of time on things that had no significance, and not enough on the things that should." Even things like Marlene questioning how he had made it when no one could do that, my internal reaction was "Did what?" As far as the viewer knows they may not have experienced a single interaction if not for a poor driving decision in KC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread