What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (6 Viewers)

ghostguy123 said:
There are many silly complaints I have read in this thread that are simply just idiotic to complain about that are likely just complaints to try and sound funny.  Like the lawns.

One of the more recent complaints now if that Alexandria isn't really shot in the real town of Alexandria, so now landmarks that we see are not the actual real life city of Alexandria. JFC.  Easily the worst/dumbest complaint in this 629 page thread. 
You missed the point.  Not surprised. 

What a ridiculous over-analysis of the truck scene. So the writers put a scene in for some comedy (back seat). Why not, it's a dark show at times, some levity can break that up. Did it need it? :shrug: But did it ruin the episode? :no:

This isn't a show about a bunch of people always doing the correct or smart thing. It's a show about flawed people who make mistakes, do dumb things and often pay the price. And sometimes for drama the writers put some ridiculous escape scenes like Glen (x2). For each of those silly escapes, there is probably a corresponding scene of a known character being eaten/killed. At this point, everyone knows what the show is. It's silly to watch hoping it becomes something you want it to be. I like it as it is, and am ok with the flawed characters, even when they are flawed due to writers' choices.
My issue is that Darabont created a show nothing like this one and after he was fired the show became about ratings over quality.

My issue is that Darabont created a show nothing like this one and after he was fired the show became about ratings over quality.
That was years ago. That ship has sailed. Unfortunately, shows are judged by the number of viewers, not their (subjective) quality. I personally am still good with the direction the show is going in, it's still following the basic outlines of the comics, and I still enjoy it. Would I have enjoyed Darabont's version more? :shrug: We'll never know, and if they don't worry about ratings a little, we never get the chance to find out.

That was years ago. That ship has sailed. Unfortunately, shows are judged by the number of viewers, not their (subjective) quality. I personally am still good with the direction the show is going in, it's still following the basic outlines of the comics, and I still enjoy it. Would I have enjoyed Darabont's version more? :shrug: We'll never know, and if they don't worry about ratings a little, we never get the chance to find out.
Breaking Bad:

- highest season 1 rating was the finale at 1.5 million viewers

- didn't top 3 million viewers until the second half of the final season 5

- cost $3 million per episode to make ($3.5M in the final season)

TWD:

- season 1 finale had 5.97 million viewers

- making money hand over fist on games and merchandising

- budget after the first season was cut from $3.4M to $2.7M

Breaking Bad:

- highest season 1 rating was the finale at 1.5 million viewers

- didn't top 3 million viewers until the second half of the final season 5

- cost $3 million per episode to make ($3.5M in the final season)

TWD:

- season 1 finale had 5.97 million viewers

- making money hand over fist on games and merchandising

- budget after the first season was cut from $3.4M to $2.7M
Not really defending AMC with the following, but I believe it has come out that there were negotiation issues with Mad Men at the time, leading to AMC to cut the budgets for TWD and Breaking Bad. Darabont had some issues with one of the episodes, didn't like the budget cuts, and got on the wrong side of management and got let go. Just saying, there is more to the story than just numbers. I really don't think we really disagree that much though, except in this - this show is not Breaking Bad (which you have to admit also had it share of horrible writing at times and things done purely to drive the plot). It is fundamentally a different type of show though.

Bingo.  Part of the allure of the show originally was that it was a "realistic" take on the zombie apocalypse (an admittedly unrealistic premise, but once you accepted that premise the show stuck to the confines of reality).  Now it's basically an action movie, complete with totally unrealistic action sequences and impossibly dumb decisions from characters to further suspense or plot development.  Just like every other zombie show/movie before it.  That's fine if all you want is an action movie, and I've enjoyed things more the last few years when I accepted that's all TWD is now and stopped hoping for good drama and writing.  Just enjoying the ride.  But that doesn't mean that every episode doesn't bring back that tiny tinge of disappointment in the back of my mind that this was once something totally different and, much better.

More simply put, there's a difference between Iron Man doing a triple backflip and headshotting 14 bad guys on his way down in the 3rd act of the next Avengers movie than Andy Dufresne doing the same thing in Shawshank.

Not really defending AMC with the following, but I believe it has come out that there were negotiation issues with Mad Men at the time, leading to AMC to cut the budgets for TWD and Breaking Bad. Darabont had some issues with one of the episodes, didn't like the budget cuts, and got on the wrong side of management and got let go. Just saying, there is more to the story than just numbers. I really don't think we really disagree that much though, except in this - this show is not Breaking Bad (which you have to admit also had it share of horrible writing at times and things done purely to drive the plot). It is fundamentally a different type of show though.
I thought I remembered that one of the things that made Darabont leave was the direction of the show.  Namely, he wanted to show the origins of the apocalypse and Kirkman/AMC did not.

Then they went ahead and made an entire new show around it anyway.

I thought I remembered that one of the things that made Darabont leave was the direction of the show.  Namely, he wanted to show the origins of the apocalypse and Kirkman/AMC did not.

Then they went ahead and made an entire new show around it anyway.
Not that they did that great of job of it...I think they're already past the "origins" portion  :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Zow said:
When did breaking bad have horrible writing?
Didn't Walt throw does some explosive thing in Tuco's "office" blowing out windows and walls, yet Walt was standing in the middle of the room just fine afterwards? 

I guess there is also that subjective aspect regarding what people think is "good".  Do you prefer a show with zero inconsistent or silly things that doesn't have many great moments?  Or would you prefer a show with a lot of great moments and characters that happens to have some inconsistencies or silly moments?

And if you are going to use Breaking Bad as the standard that all shows must live up to to be "good", you are probably not going to be happy about the future of television.

comic guys will know but:

looks like they're going to follow through with Negan's introduction.  So much foreshadowing tonight.  It got kinda dusty over here at the end there.  I think tonight will be more emotional for me than when Lucille flys that head.

Back to "It's a zombie show so no need to make it quality".

As I feared, what happened to TWD was exactly what happened to the original Planet of the Apes movies. Despite making millions on the movies and merchandise, the studios continued to cut the budgets and suck the series dry because they had no respect for movies about talking apes.

I don't think they'd tell us but last night felt like this is the last season of the show. After the group takes care of Negan, they are going to team up with this new community to share food and all and live happily ever after. Seems like a fitting end to a great show. Judith and Maggie's baby are going to be the new spawn of civilization. Humans will rule the Earth again. Now, they just need to find people across the pond but I think that will be open to interpretation.

Didn't Walt throw does some explosive thing in Tuco's "office" blowing out windows and walls, yet Walt was standing in the middle of the room just fine afterwards? 

I guess there is also that subjective aspect regarding what people think is "good".  Do you prefer a show with zero inconsistent or silly things that doesn't have many great moments?  Or would you prefer a show with a lot of great moments and characters that happens to have some inconsistencies or silly moments?

And if you are going to use Breaking Bad as the standard that all shows must live up to to be "good", you are probably not going to be happy about the future of television.
Walt rigged a wheelchair to blow up.
I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the room when the explosion went off.

There were several eye rolling moments in Breaking Bad.
-magnets
-truck machine gun
-train hijacking

People will forgive and suspend belief with these situations especially if the rest of the show is great.

People get turned off from WD because the show went from good characters and story lines to to inconsistent writing.
Sometimes the zombies are ninjas hanging in a closet other times they are making noises and living la vida loca.
Sometimes the zombies flock and attack anything in sight other times they are easily distracted and will let someone slip away from 3,000 zombies.

The Glen shimmy was the last straw for me. To me that went beyond a simple eye rolling moment.
That was the show essentially milking viewers along for 2 weeks of "Is Glenn dead" to simply get talk and buzz.
The was the culmination that the show isn't about putting a strong product on the screen but rather what can we do to maximize our cult following of the show.
Picture The Sopranos last scene. Then 2 episodes without Tony only to have the last episode end with him Tony walking out of the ice cream shop with vanilla ice cream rolling down his chin. If you have to do things like that to draw interest, it means your product can't stand on its own.

You are right though, comparing anything to Breaking Bad is just a recipe for disaster. Although I think we all do this now on some level.

I'm sure it's still a fun and interesting show for people on many levels but for me, I'd rather not bother and follow you guys in this thread. At least you all are more consistent.

Very good episode.  I like the new story line and I'm glad that they're introducing some new and interesting characters.  
:goodposting:   Loved having Maggie take the lead and meet with Gregory.. His "well, thanks Natalie" comment at the end of the first conversation was a great lead up to the 2nd conversation.. Would have been great though if the writers had her call him some other name as she was walking out the door.

4 episodes left to build up the Finale and the introduction to Negan :popcorn:

Good episode.  Liked the set for the Hilltop community and it was a nice transition to get Maggie out front speaking for the Alexandrians.  

"When you poured the bisquick, did you mean to make pancakes?"  

I don't think they'd tell us but last night felt like this is the last season of the show. After the group takes care of Negan, they are going to team up with this new community to share food and all and live happily ever after. Seems like a fitting end to a great show. Judith and Maggie's baby are going to be the new spawn of civilization. Humans will rule the Earth again. Now, they just need to find people across the pond but I think that will be open to interpretation.
I don't want to give anything away, but lets just say this.  Negan finally appears on the page in issue #100.  The comic just recently passed issue #150 a month or two ago.  There are places to go, things to see and do.  There was a time jump at one point.

Were they foreshadowing something with Rosita last night? Will she be the/a victim in the season finale? Or was it confined to Abraham pouring his bisquick into Sasha's bowl?

Walt rigged a wheelchair to blow up.
I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the room when the explosion went off.

There were several eye rolling moments in Breaking Bad.
-magnets
-truck machine gun
-train hijacking

People will forgive and suspend belief with these situations especially if the rest of the show is great.

People get turned off from WD because the show went from good characters and story lines to to inconsistent writing.
Sometimes the zombies are ninjas hanging in a closet other times they are making noises and living la vida loca.
Sometimes the zombies flock and attack anything in sight other times they are easily distracted and will let someone slip away from 3,000 zombies.

The Glen shimmy was the last straw for me. To me that went beyond a simple eye rolling moment.
That was the show essentially milking viewers along for 2 weeks of "Is Glenn dead" to simply get talk and buzz.
The was the culmination that the show isn't about putting a strong product on the screen but rather what can we do to maximize our cult following of the show.
Picture The Sopranos last scene. Then 2 episodes without Tony only to have the last episode end with him Tony walking out of the ice cream shop with vanilla ice cream rolling down his chin. If you have to do things like that to draw interest, it means your product can't stand on its own.

You are right though, comparing anything to Breaking Bad is just a recipe for disaster. Although I think we all do this now on some level.

I'm sure it's still a fun and interesting show for people on many levels but for me, I'd rather not bother and follow you guys in this thread. At least you all are more consistent.
the wheelchair explosion is a completely different scene than the Tuco scene....just sayin

Were they foreshadowing something with Rosita last night? Will she be the/a victim in the season finale? Or was it confined to Abraham pouring his bisquick into Sasha's bowl?
Rosita is expendable.  She gone.  Although maybe she'll hook up with Eugene now.

I think the foreshadowing part is how Daryl hates Jesus.  How Rick playfully pushed Jesus onto Daryl in the car.  How Daryl told the doctor at Alexandria "not this guy, he ain't stayin'"

Daryl and Jesus will be love interests...  to the chagrin of many and the jubilation of others.  

Rosita is expendable.  She gone.  Although maybe she'll hook up with Eugene now.
We need another hot chick to show up so Rosita can have the required post-breakup lesbian love scene. Entirely in character in my opinion.

Another very good episode. I also like the new storyline and how things are being set up with a variety of settlements in play. I know of one major thing Negan does in the comics but little else but I'm assuming the confrontation to come is going to be bloody and fatal. Can't wait. :)  

3 for 3 so far this winter. Little slower episode but I like the build up they are bringing with Negan.  Hoping they can keep up the pace and it doesn't bog down like the first half of the year did.

It may have been foreshadowing for Abraham. He was thinking about his future the entire episode, and the episode was entitle 'Knots Untie' (the necklace Rosita gave him was left behind after he was being choked). Maybe he's the one to lose it at the end of the season? Who am I kidding -- I'm going stop it with the predictions...

It may have been foreshadowing for Abraham. He was thinking about his future the entire episode, and the episode was entitle 'Knots Untie' (the necklace Rosita gave him was left behind after he was being choked). Maybe he's the one to lose it at the end of the season? Who am I kidding -- I'm going stop it with the predictions...
:goodposting:   he wants out of the Rosita relationship since he has feelings for Sasha.  He'll still like to bone Rosita, certainly.  But doesn't want to be tied down to her.  The choking scene with the necklace being left behind is a good observation.  He said he felt better than great.  He's ready to tell Rosita about it and go after some brown sugar.  

Abraham wears galoshes. :no:
Okay, was it only about Abraham wanting to pour his bisquick into the galoshes he's wearing as he's strolling through Sasha's puddles? :mellow:

Or are they foreshadowing an untimely demise of one of the two?

Negan is being billed as the most dangerous villain the show has ever seen. He has to kill someone important in order to drive that point home. In last night's episode the two strongest choices in my opinion were Abraham and Daryl. Abraham was all about the future and could he settle down and with whom and all the baby stuff. That would seem to make him a strong candidate to get killed. Daryl's the other. He was the first one to jump in and make a plan to kill Negan so he might be underestimating how lethal the guy is.

If the producers are still mindful of the "If Daryl dies we riot" segment in the fan base than Abraham could be the one to go. 

Glenn's a possibility too. Not only has he come close to dying several times already but the scene of Maggie watching a Hilltopper woman mourning her husband/boyfriend/Bootie Call Guy could be a foreshadowing of her eventually doing the same with Glenn.

Thought it was interesting how easily they accepted this mercenary mission without knowing the size of Negan's army or having an exit strategy (is it over if they kill Negan or do they have to kill every man, woman, and child to prevent a long-term war?)

Thought it was interesting how easily they accepted this mercenary mission without knowing the size of Negan's army or having an exit strategy (is it over if they kill Negan or do they have to kill every man, woman, and child to prevent a long-term war?)
Overconfidence? Cockiness perhaps?

Reminded me of the early scene in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome when Max quickly agrees to kill a guy so he can get what he needs in return.

I think there's also something to be said for the group believing they've seen the worst in what's out there in terms of humanity and beaten everyone down to this point. So they may feel as if Negan is nothing more than the next Governor or the Terminites.   

Users who are viewing this thread