What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Twitter Thread (1 Viewer)

Capella

Footballguy
Musk said they were limiting users which is of course total nonsense being that it’s an advertising-driven site. Reports last night said they didn’t pay the bill at their last hosting site and were kicked off as of 6/30. Anybody know of any similar sites to use? Saw somebody mention blue sky but it is in beta mode.

I just want a news aggregator. So annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instagram is working on something called Threads that is allegedly a Twitter replacement.

Killing the network on a platform where the only real advantage was the first-mover network effect seems shortsighted.

Instagram is working on something called Threads that is allegedly a Twitter replacement.

Killing the network on a platform where the only real advantage was the first-mover network effect seems shortsighted.
When he bought it, he paid 44B. I read some analyst valued it at 15B a few weeks ago. Has to be worth about 5 now I’d guess. Brilliant moves. The book written about this should be fascinating.

I get limiting reads due to data scrapping but their limits seem surprisingly low. I won’t to get anywhere near the limit but I can see how someone actively engaged on Twitter could.

I guess another part of this is to get active users to buy the blue checks?

Instagram is working on something called Threads that is allegedly a Twitter replacement
I would love to bet against that working.

A variation of Twitter, from the guy who wrecked Facebook and Instagram is not the answer.

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Reddit all got here for different reasons, but they are ALL disasters right now. Facebook is in the best shape, but it's pretty much a Boomer bulletin board now.

This is not anything I know much about, but I would not be surprised if we are at a tipping point with social media. These guys had their shot, they were unable to maintain their cool factor, and someone else will pop up.

Musk said they were limiting users which is of course total nonsense being that it’s an advertising-driven site. Reports last night said they didn’t pay the bill at their last hosting site and were kicked off as of 6/30. Anybody know of any similar sites to use? Saw somebody mention blue sky but it is in beta mode.

Can we resurrect RSS feeds? I liked them

I get limiting reads due to data scrapping but their limits seem surprisingly low. I won’t to get anywhere near the limit but I can see how someone actively engaged on Twitter could.

I hit it in like 10 mins yesterday just scrolling through. A few hundred can go by quickly. I am not necessarily reading them all, just flipping through and looking at what catches my eye.

Instagram is working on something called Threads that is allegedly a Twitter replacement
I would love to bet against that working.

A variation of Twitter, from the guy who wrecked Facebook and Instagram is not the answer.

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Reddit all got here for different reasons, but they are ALL disasters right now. Facebook is in the best shape, but it's pretty much a Boomer bulletin board now.

This is not anything I know much about, but I would not be surprised if we are at a tipping point with social media. These guys had their shot, they were unable to maintain their cool factor, and someone else will pop up.
The kids all sue Snap and TikTok though they don't quite serve the same purpose Twitter does/did.

The idea was to blow up the town square. Done deal.
Hard to imagine there was any other intent. He was openly mocking his users earlier today basically telling them to get a life. Can you imagine any other owner/CEO/service provider mocking people for wanting to use their product/service?

McDonalds has a fry shortage, McDonalds CEO: "Hey learn how to cook yourself. Besides these things are horrible for you."

MLB strike, MLB commissioner: "Why don't you just watch football or basketball instead?'"

Long waiting period to see your doctor, doctor: "Well maybe if you took better care of yourself you wouldn't need this appointment, think about that while you are waiting 6 months".

Hard to imagine there was any other intent. He was openly mocking his users earlier today basically telling them to get a life. Can you imagine any other owner/CEO/service provider mocking people for wanting to use their product/service?

McDonalds has a fry shortage, McDonalds CEO: "Hey learn how to cook yourself. Besides these things are horrible for you."

MLB strike, MLB commissioner: "Why don't you just watch football or basketball instead?'"

Long waiting period to see your doctor, doctor: "Well maybe if you took better care of yourself you wouldn't need this appointment, think about that while you are waiting 6 months".
Trying to kill it off and take bankruptcy? Probably his final move here I guess.

Trying to kill it off and take bankruptcy? Probably his final move here I guess.
Maybe. I can’t be political here but I don’t think he ever bought it in good faith. I don’t think his views ever aligned well with the general audience on Twitter.

There's absolutely no need to get political.

There's a rich guy running his business into the ground. This thread will possibly get locked, because criticism of Musk doesn't seem popular with the moderators.

Bummer, because it's an interesting story.

My favorite is how by making people log in or create a profile to view tweets, Twitter essentially created a DDOS attack on themselves.

No one believes the data scraping cover story

Until yesterday my personal Twitter experience had not been any worse than it was pre-acquisition. Very curious as to what’s really going on.

There's absolutely no need to get political.

There's a rich guy running his business into the ground. This thread will possibly get locked, because criticism of Musk doesn't seem popular with the moderators.

Bummer, because it's an interesting story.

My favorite is how by making people log in or create a profile to view tweets, Twitter essentially created a DDOS attack on themselves.

No one believes the data scraping cover story

I am not knowledgeable in this at all but - if the data scraping issue is true, why set the limits so darn low?

Based on the reports it was basically insolvent when he bought it. He doesn’t need to sabotage the app to get into bankruptcy.

You can no longer view tweets unless logged in. So if someone sends you a link and it opens in your browser, it'll fail for anyone without an account or if you're not signed in.

Again?

Personally I took a break again because arguing the same arguments with people that hate you and will never change their mind over and over gets tiring.

Yeah rumor is he was late on the bandwidth payment and got the service limited. Came up with the new policy as cover story for the sites limited functionality. If/when he scrapes together the cash owed, he'll announce he's listened to the feedback and restore things to the way they were.

Yeah rumor is he was late on the bandwidth payment and got the service limited. Came up with the new policy as cover story for the sites limited functionality. If/when he scrapes together the cash owed, he'll announce he's listened to the feedback and restore things to the way they were.
That's good PR.

Again?

Personally I took a break again because arguing the same arguments with people that hate you and will never change their mind over and over gets tiring.
Why would you argue with anybody there lol. It’s unbeatable for breaking sports news though.
Anything and everything is argued there. Not just politics. Sports, video games, movies, TV, music. If you have a benign easy to agree with opinion, someone will figure a way to take the opposite opinion and label you a racist for disagreeing. It's why I have been off there for a couple months.

This bandwidth stuff though would actually ruin the site if it's permanent. Sounds temporary though.

That's good PR.
It’s not good PR. They have no plan or idea what they are doing. Truly only somebody very not bright would believe his limiting tweets story. They have advertising to sell. The idea fails immediately.

Again?

Why would you argue with anybody there lol. It’s unbeatable for breaking sports news though.
Anything and everything is argued there. Not just politics. Sports, video games, movies, TV, music. If you have a benign easy to agree with opinion, someone will figure a way to take the opposite opinion and label you a racist for disagreeing. It's why I have been off there for a couple months.

This bandwidth stuff though would actually ruin the site if it's permanent. Sounds temporary though.
Bro you’re just arguing with bots if you are enganging on there. Site is overrun with them.

Again?

Bro you’re just arguing with bots if you are enganging on there. Site is overrun with them.
Always has been.

He has ALREADY backtracked and announced higher view limits before this thread was even posted.

You can no longer view tweets unless logged in. So if someone sends you a link and it opens in your browser, it'll fail for anyone without an account or if you're not signed in.
Well that seems dumb. What was the rationale behind that decision? It seems like it just lowers the salience of the platform.

Every once in a while I'll land on the "for you" feed, not realizing it, and suddenly videos of people getting dismembered start popping up. It's horrifying.

He raised the limit to reading a 1000 posts a day but it doesn't take long to reach that if you are viewing what is trending or items that are in the news (like Baltimore mass shooting). I reached my rate limit after a hour yesterday and am OK so far, but don't know how long that will last today (I have been using Google to look at breaking news items).

I can't see how this will help business as there are a lot of really angry people on my timeline.

Well that seems dumb. What was the rationale behind that decision? It seems like it just lowers the salience of the platform.
My guess is for the same reason anyone wants you to register. I get why he wants to do it, but I think it's a mistake, and not going to work, and limiting your viewers while trying to raise ad revenue seems......contradictory.

limiting your viewers while trying to raise ad revenue seems......contradictory.
It only makes sense if your advertisers are only interested in a very particular type of viewer. Which I don't think is the case for a site used by the general public like Twitter.

He raised the limit to reading a 1000 posts a day but it doesn't take long to reach that if you are viewing what is trending or items that are in the news (like Baltimore mass shooting). I reached my rate limit after a hour yesterday and am OK so far, but don't know how long that will last today (I have been using Google to look at breaking news items).
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Stay strong.

For years I've been reading linked Shark Pool Twitter posts without ever logging in or joining. Now I can't read them?

My guess is for the same reason anyone wants you to register. I get why he wants to do it, but I think it's a mistake, and not going to work, and limiting your viewers while trying to raise ad revenue seems......contradictory.
Still seems dumb. If I own Twitter (or whatever), I want people to see it as an indispensable news source. Locking tweets behind registration defeats that purpose imo.

Right I will not get to the limit. Though I follow some local wx weather sites and they are fantastic during storms (which we had Friday night and yesterday afternoon). I believe the one hit their limit saturday for a bit as they post and read damage reports. And since they rely on crowd sourced funding to do what they do…I don’t blame them not paying for the blue check. But they are a great resource especially when power goes out knocking out my streaming of any local channel on TV (yes i then can stream it on my phone…but the wx guys storm coverage is far better).

The rest of the limiting…doesn’t effect me much at all.

Still seems dumb. If I own Twitter (or whatever), I want people to see it as an indispensable news source. Locking tweets behind registration defeats that purpose imo.
You are describing the best thing about Twitter--it's real value, real time happenings from sources that are known.

The perception of the importance of Twitter as social media was always artificial, inflated, because of how the media leaned on Twitter. Soooo much media over a breaking story was just someone on whatever site you were on recounting what happened, and dropping a few lines of text between links to tweets. It seemed like there were more people using Twitter because everything WE used on the web was constantly linking to Twitter. But there was never a lot of users, and a lot of them were like YouTube commenters, yelling into the ether, no one paying attention---unless they said something awful of course, then that's a potential news story for some useless content farm Buzzfeed type time waster.

In general, people lumped in Twitter with Instagram and Tik Tok, and the fact is, Twitter was small potatos.

For years I've been reading linked Shark Pool Twitter posts without ever logging in or joining. Now I can't read them?
Apparently, I'm in the same boat. Tried a few Twitter links and "sorry something went wrong" and "try again."

Users who are viewing this thread