What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Members Check In (1 Viewer)

One thing I'm realizing reading this thread: seemingly out of nowhere, we're mostly on the back nine here. And that's OK, because it's been one helluva day so far.
You know when I was in my young 20's I looked at people in their late 40's and thought damn they are old and life must not be fun anymore. I'm now that age and you know what? Other than my knees popping everytime I stand up I realize how wrong I was, **** is just getting started IMO
40s by far my favorite age
I hope you're right. :lmao:
Single digits- I'm sure we're fun but who remembers them

Teens- moody, no money, hated high school

20s- party time but no money

30s- some money but constantly exhausted and no time to party

40s- complete freedom, plenty of money, confidence

It's not even close. 45 years old and the last 5 years have been amazing!

LABS did a random draw to select the avatars of other members. Happy Schnaps drew my name and gave me the avatar you see now, minus the tribute paid to Shining Path, RIP little purple teletubby. When Happy Schnaps told me this was my new avatar he said

"Congrats GM, I just made you a star".

Good times.

🤣🤣🤣

That reveal is in the top ten of my longest and loudest laughs ever in my life. I was dying.

It's incredibly easy to rout against laundry that looks like it belongs to a bunch of Big Bird groupies at Comic-Con
I, for one, will not stand for such besmirching of a top tier Muppet like Big Bird by making such an association.

Good day, Sir.

My bad, friend. How do you feel about Chiquita Banana?
I SAID “GOOD DAY”!!!!!!!!

(Seriously, it’s not my place to say. Sports-hate makes you see things differently.)

One thing I'm realizing reading this thread: seemingly out of nowhere, we're mostly on the back nine here. And that's OK, because it's been one helluva day so far.
Yeah. And I threw my 7 iron in the lake on the par 3 6th, but all in all, still fun times.

Hello friends,

I haven't posted in a while because the political subforum closed and also because I have a new job (see below). And then the system wouldn't let me post unless I updated my email address but all of my email addresses were already attached to other banned aliases over the years. Anyway, I just read through this thread and it made me happy, I miss all of you folks.

Anyway, my life is absolutely great right now. I quit being a lawyer after 20 years and I'm now a public school teacher teaching Government to 10th graders and an elective in Law to 10-12 graders. I have totally been stealing FFA shtick from over the years for my class. In Law class we wrote our own constitution (shoutout to @Yankee23Fan) that governs the class and I printed it out to look old-timey and put it in the fanciest frame I owned and it's on the wall of the classroom. I've already surveyed this year's students with Family Feud questions so I can play the game next year with the new students. Haven't figured out how to make werewolf work as a class yet but I'm working on it.

I had been lurking for a little while when 9/11 happened. That's my first memory of the FFA - I was newly married, had a 3 month old and still played FF.

Now - still married, 4 kids - 14, 17, 19, 21 - I finally decided to participate after having that 3rd kid and that's where AAA alias came from as all the kid's names start with an 'A'.

So many memories, stories, threads come to mind, but I always have and always will come here for the laughs and to have fun.

I have exactly 0 Facebooks posts, 0 Instagram posts, 0 Tweets, etc. 43k posts here is the entirety of my social media/online presence (I don't really count LinkedIN). This is a special place and such an important part of life for many of us.

Hello friends,

I haven't posted in a while because the political subforum closed and also because I have a new job (see below). And then the system wouldn't let me post unless I updated my email address but all of my email addresses were already attached to other banned aliases over the years. Anyway, I just read through this thread and it made me happy, I miss all of you folks.

Anyway, my life is absolutely great right now. I quit being a lawyer after 20 years and I'm now a public school teacher teaching Government to 10th graders and an elective in Law to 10-12 graders. I have totally been stealing FFA shtick from over the years for my class. In Law class we wrote our own constitution (shoutout to @Yankee23Fan) that governs the class and I printed it out to look old-timey and put it in the fanciest frame I owned and it's on the wall of the classroom. I've already surveyed this year's students with Family Feud questions so I can play the game next year with the new students. Haven't figured out how to make werewolf work as a class yet but I'm working on it.
what's the prize for the kid who can throw a ritz cracker the farthest?

Just a rambling/random list of great things........

T-shirt exchange, Great Works draft, Russian Bride draft, Beer thread, folks getting help in the depression thread, Soccer threads, 10k, GMTAN, the music and music draft threads - especially the ones over the last couple of years that keep me coming back daily.

Two things I still lmao about still today:

"you know who else got a 3 day TO?"

"braces? On both legs?"

Hello friends,

That's awesome GB. Would love to hear more about the career change and how you did and what all went into it. I have a friend who did something not too dissimilar.

It's interesting to see the Bill Simmons confirmation. Back in those days, this and the big poker forum were pretty much the only two forums I regularly visited, and they were saying the same things over there in the NBA thread (in that Simmons was swiping posts for his content). And I know there was at least some crossover (Assani probably being the most notable historically, but there were certainly others) between these boards.
doesn't Chase Stuart get the occasional shoutout on Simmons? Or used to? Or am i thinking of a non-FBGs football podcast?

It's interesting to see the Bill Simmons confirmation. Back in those days, this and the big poker forum were pretty much the only two forums I regularly visited, and they were saying the same things over there in the NBA thread (in that Simmons was swiping posts for his content). And I know there was at least some crossover (Assani probably being the most notable historically, but there were certainly others) between these boards.
doesn't Chase Stuart get the occasional shoutout on Simmons? Or used to? Or am i thinking of a non-FBGs football podcast?
Yes. And Bill Barnwell loved him and would often reference him too.

Completely unbeknownst to me and way before my FBG days, Chase and I used to work on fantasy articles via AOL Instant Messenger in like the late 90s. I still remember his AIM name.

Hello friends,

If you ever get a student named Tatum Bell, I might know a ploy to motivate him.

That's awesome GB. Would love to hear more about the career change and how you did and what all went into it. I have a friend who did something not too dissimilar.

I was only able to do it with financial help from my parents. It's not an easy path for someone with kids and responsibilities. I quit lawyering in August 2021. Went to graduate school for a year to get my masters and certification. During that year I wasn't earning income -- I was just student teaching and taking classes. In June 2022 I was lucky enough to get hired at a high school that needed someone to teach the Law elective, which was a perfect fit for me. I started teaching in August 2022. My income is less than half what I earned as a lawyer but I haven't regretted the change for even a second. The thing I wonder about is how I let myself be so miserable for so long in my old job.

Happy to answer any other questions you have about it.

Never shared my update. 25ish years here and old yeller? Something like that.

Worked in government and politics as my first love after coming to terms that I was not going to be on the Yankees. With my wife and married longer than 25 years. Wrote a book for her about her. I can get an IBN number for it or whatever that is to publish it but it's too personal for us.

Oldest is in college and traveling the world for school. I get to enjoy it through the bills I pay. Youngest is the current light of my life. Practiced law for a long time. Left practice 2 years ago to work for a non profit but for a lot of reasons it didn't work out and I once again own another law firm.

Started a church, in the process of starting another one. Been the keyboard player on a record. No, I won't say what the record is. But it's Christian music. Written over 2 dozen songs. My golf game has gotten worse not better, suffered hard losses from life, time and COVID, buried my father, lost contact with way too many family in the past 5 years for reasons necessary and some selfish. Suffered a bout of depression, some survivors guilt, and some old fashioned woe is me nonsense that I've climbed out of.

Play in 2 bands, lead some things, counsel some people, work way too hard as a lawyer even when I know I should slow down. Don't post as much these simply because of time and nothing else. Miss the politics debates but tired of them at the same time. I've said my peace, now I'm just trying to live it as best I can.

This was my first and is still my only online community. Never felt the need for another one. I've cried with @NCCommish when my wife lost the baby, cried for @bigbottom when Chance left us, watched @Joe Bryant try to wrangle this collection of nutjobs the best he could and never envied him for trying.

And beyond that, still trucking along and playing FF in 2 leagues that are combined 60 years old now and we all show every bit of that age.

And I really do need another 7 iron.

Hello friends,

i hope to god you have told them to take it to the bank and called at least one kid bromigo

Started a church
Like... David Coresh or some such?
I guess it depends on your point of view...but no, just a regular old the building was empty let's start a church, church
pretty sure that's how David Coresh started.

(all said with love and profound respect and knowledge that you would never start that kind of church, and amazed that you did all of this in the first place)

I found Cheatsheets.net and used it to come in 2nd in my work league for like 7 straight years (first player ever drafted: Ricky Watters), joined the boards soon after. I wasn't on the FFA until after Old Yeller died, you people were weird and scary. Why would someone go to a FF site and talk about something other than FF?

48 years old, still married, we still like each other. 3 kids, 2 of them have T1 diabetes, oldest is heading to law school, youngest a sophomore in high school. I put on weight, stopped playing soccer, started mountain biking a lot... things are moving along, we'll see what life looks like in a few years when the kids are all gone. No real health problems, just some broken bones here and there.

I once mailed a VHS tape of the Lost pilot to Capella.

Yes. And Bill Barnwell loved him and would often reference him too.

Completely unbeknownst to me and way before my FBG days, Chase and I used to work on fantasy articles via AOL Instant Messenger in like the late 90s. I still remember his AIM name.

AIM, and before that Prodigy message boards - the gateway drugs to Old Yeller.

I found Cheatsheets.net and used it to come in 2nd in my work league for like 7 straight years (first player ever drafted: Ricky Watters), joined the boards soon after. I wasn't on the FFA until after Old Yeller died, you people were weird and scary. Why would someone go to a FF site and talk about something other than FF?

48 years old, still married, we still like each other. 3 kids, 2 of them have T1 diabetes, oldest is heading to law school, youngest a sophomore in high school. I put on weight, stopped playing soccer, started mountain biking a lot... things are moving along, we'll see what life looks like in a few years when the kids are all gone. No real health problems, just some broken bones here and there.

Thurman Thomas here...

Thurman Thomas here...

Those were the days. Beating grown adults before everybody knew what they were doing. My first year was 1993. I had Montana, Emmitt Marcus Allen, Rice, Cris Carter and Johnny Johnson at TE.

Hello friends,

Great to see you!

It’s so great reading these updates and this thread. I’ve been pretty scarce around here lately - it’s great to hear how everyone is doing.

My update - on since Old Yeller days. Started my business in 2001, sold it in 2015. I still run it and couldn’t have asked for a better company to acquire us. It’s been great.

Got divorced in June of 2022 after 29 years of marriage. We get along fine, and really still love each other. There was just way too much arguing and bickering for years and years. So while my life is MUCH more peaceful now, I’m still sad and still struggle with it all the time.

We owned a house in Phoenix and one in Prescott which is about 90 minutes north of Phoenix. Prescott is at 5300 feet so there are four seasons and snow. I love it there so I took that house and live there full time now.

I still love my whiskey, love playing poker, and hike every day the weather permits.

I just took a trip to Africa with my buddy from 6th grade. We donate to an orphanage in Gulu, Uganda. We visited the kids and spent some time at the refugee camp the orphans come from. It was truly a life changing experience and I plan to go back as often as possible.

Kids are 25, 26, and 28. All doing pretty well.

Like others have said, this is really my only online community. I have a LinkedIn page, but that’s about it. Thanks to all you guys - this place is awesome.

It’s so great reading these updates and this thread. I’ve been pretty scarce around here lately - it’s great to hear how everyone is doing.

My update - on since Old Yeller days. Started my business in 2001, sold it in 2015. I still run it and couldn’t have asked for a better company to acquire us. It’s been great.

Got divorced in June of 2022 after 29 years of marriage. We get along fine, and really still love each other. There was just way too much arguing and bickering for years and years. So while my life is MUCH more peaceful now, I’m still sad and still struggle with it all the time.

We owned a house in Phoenix and one in Prescott which is about 90 minutes north of Phoenix. Prescott is at 5300 feet so there are four seasons and snow. I love it there so I took that house and live there full time now.

I still love my whiskey, love playing poker, and hike every day the weather permits.

I just took a trip to Africa with my buddy from 6th grade. We donate to an orphanage in Gulu, Uganda. We visited the kids and spent some time at the refugee camp the orphans come from. It was truly a life changing experience and I plan to go back as often as possible.

Like others have said, this is really my only online community. I have a LinkedIn page, but that’s about it. Thanks to all you guys - this place is awesome.

Great to see you, GB. Really cool about the trip to Africa and your work with the orphanage - a more generous FBG I have yet to discover.

ETA: This whole community is generous, but kutta is on our Mt. Rushmore. FBG at large is an incredibly caring and generous group.

Love Prescott. We visit in the fall frequently on our west coast road trips with our dogs and either stay at the Hassayampa or a VRBO right around the corner. If you're around next time we come out I'd love to buy you a whiskey.

Users who are viewing this thread