What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Members Check In (1 Viewer)

It’s so great reading these updates and this thread. I’ve been pretty scarce around here lately - it’s great to hear how everyone is doing.

My update - on since Old Yeller days. Started my business in 2001, sold it in 2015. I still run it and couldn’t have asked for a better company to acquire us. It’s been great.

Got divorced in June of 2022 after 29 years of marriage. We get along fine, and really still love each other. There was just way too much arguing and bickering for years and years. So while my life is MUCH more peaceful now, I’m still sad and still struggle with it all the time.

We owned a house in Phoenix and one in Prescott which is about 90 minutes north of Phoenix. Prescott is at 5300 feet so there are four seasons and snow. I love it there so I took that house and live there full time now.

I still love my whiskey, love playing poker, and hike every day the weather permits.

I just took a trip to Africa with my buddy from 6th grade. We donate to an orphanage in Gulu, Uganda. We visited the kids and spent some time at the refugee camp the orphans come from. It was truly a life changing experience and I plan to go back as often as possible.

Kids are 25, 26, and 28. All doing pretty well.

Like others have said, this is really my only online community. I have a LinkedIn page, but that’s about it. Thanks to all you guys - this place is awesome.

Great to see you, GB. Really cool about the trip to Africa and your work with the orphanage - a more generous FBG I have yet to discover.

ETA: This whole community is generous, but kutta is on our Mt. Rushmore. FBG at large is an incredibly caring and generous group.
Thanks - I appreciate that.

It’s so great reading these updates and this thread. I’ve been pretty scarce around here lately - it’s great to hear how everyone is doing.

My update - on since Old Yeller days. Started my business in 2001, sold it in 2015. I still run it and couldn’t have asked for a better company to acquire us. It’s been great.

Got divorced in June of 2022 after 29 years of marriage. We get along fine, and really still love each other. There was just way too much arguing and bickering for years and years. So while my life is MUCH more peaceful now, I’m still sad and still struggle with it all the time.

We owned a house in Phoenix and one in Prescott which is about 90 minutes north of Phoenix. Prescott is at 5300 feet so there are four seasons and snow. I love it there so I took that house and live there full time now.

I still love my whiskey, love playing poker, and hike every day the weather permits.

I just took a trip to Africa with my buddy from 6th grade. We donate to an orphanage in Gulu, Uganda. We visited the kids and spent some time at the refugee camp the orphans come from. It was truly a life changing experience and I plan to go back as often as possible.

Like others have said, this is really my only online community. I have a LinkedIn page, but that’s about it. Thanks to all you guys - this place is awesome.
Love Prescott. We visit in the fall frequently on our west coast road trips with our dogs and either stay at the Hassayampa or a VRBO right around the corner. If you're around next time we come out I'd love to buy you a whiskey.
For sure! I live right by downtown so just say the word.

good to see you gb, and didn’t your sister marry a fbg? :whistle:

good to see you gb, and didn’t your sister marry a fbg? :whistle:
Yes she did! Who is also my best friend from high school. He doesn’t post here much but he did join the poker games.

GRIDIRONASSASSIN was on OG and a huge Bear fan
Grid has been gone a long time. Don't know whatever happened to him.
i always wondered if he was you. He was just as passionate a Bears fan as you are.
Nah. He's a Chicago native. I'm a southern redneck who just happened to grow up in the 80s and loved the 85 Bears. My passion has waned a little bit over the past few years as life has changed and the Bears continue to suck.

Great to see you, GB. Really cool about the trip to Africa and your work with the orphanage - a more generous FBG I have yet to discover.

ETA: This whole community is generous, but kutta is on our Mt. Rushmore. FBG at large is an incredibly caring and generous group.

And not only that. The man won a bracelet worth several thousand dollars in the Chance for Hope raffle and GAVE IT BACK! We have actually added it as a live auction item for our annual event coming up on May 5th. Definitely an incredibly generous soul!

Last edited:

And not only that. The man won a bracelet worth several thousand dollars in the Chance for Hope raffle and GAVE IT BACK! We have actually added it as a live auction item for our annual event coming up on May 5th. Definitely an incredibly generous soul!
Let’s get one thing straight. You, mi amigo, are the real generous soul here. What you’ve done sharing your story about Chance, and your Chance for Hope Foundation, is simply incredible. You have inspired a whole lot of us to be better and do better.
I am really happy to hear that the bracelet is going into your live auction! Hmm. Maybe I’ll come out and win it and donate it back again…

I live right by downtown so just say the word
Just make sure that you pronounce the word as “Press-kit” and not “Press-CAWT” or you’ll get laughed out of town.
That’s right - sounds like biscuit.
Thanks for the info. Doing a day trip from Scottsdale in two weeks and I don't want to sound like a tourist.
Let me know when you’re coming - if I’m around maybe we can grab a beer.

That's awesome GB. Would love to hear more about the career change and how you did and what all went into it. I have a friend who did something not too dissimilar.

I was only able to do it with financial help from my parents. It's not an easy path for someone with kids and responsibilities. I quit lawyering in August 2021. Went to graduate school for a year to get my masters and certification. During that year I wasn't earning income -- I was just student teaching and taking classes. In June 2022 I was lucky enough to get hired at a high school that needed someone to teach the Law elective, which was a perfect fit for me. I started teaching in August 2022. My income is less than half what I earned as a lawyer but I haven't regretted the change for even a second. The thing I wonder about is how I let myself be so miserable for so long in my old job.

Happy to answer any other questions you have about it.

Thank you, GB. That's awesome.

I think the "tough it out" in a job thing is super interesting.

One one hand, work is expected to be challenging. And difficult. And the older folks often admonish the younger folks for not being tough enough on things.

On the other hand, some jobs are truly miserable. And one should make a change.

It's a tough balance to navigate. I'd love you and others to talk on that balance if you had time or insights.

Between this and Oddibemcd, been dabbling 25+ years, starting in the fall of 97 as a freshman on a T4 line, fresh off of a modem at home. Cheatsheets.net, MrFootball and thehuddle (Whitney something or other there?). Moved to FFToday and eschewed the PG-FBG boards. Then came on 9/11 when I was working at Kodak. Big shame that thread wasn't archived. Won a Fatballguys challenge, parlayed my new found good looks into a wife, got fat again. Currently weigh just about what I did when I started the challenge. Dabbled in WW, (15 years ago now, remember blowing off a contracts class during my 1L year at Cornell).

Found support here after a car accident knocked me out of law school. Found support here when I was flooded out during Sandy. Moved back Upstate NY. Three kids at 43 (6/5/3), the end is nowhere in sight. Some of the most riveting stories I ever found were right here.

ETA: I've played one game of Diplomacy in my life, right here where I scored a victory as Turkey with a major assist from Bostonfred's Russia.
How far upstate? Like Syracuse or like Buffalo/Oswego?
Split the difference. I live outside of Rochester and work in the great hinterlands of Wayne County.
I grew up in Rochester :oldunsure:

Between this and Oddibemcd, been dabbling 25+ years, starting in the fall of 97 as a freshman on a T4 line, fresh off of a modem at home. Cheatsheets.net, MrFootball and thehuddle (Whitney something or other there?). Moved to FFToday and eschewed the PG-FBG boards. Then came on 9/11 when I was working at Kodak. Big shame that thread wasn't archived. Won a Fatballguys challenge, parlayed my new found good looks into a wife, got fat again. Currently weigh just about what I did when I started the challenge. Dabbled in WW, (15 years ago now, remember blowing off a contracts class during my 1L year at Cornell).

Found support here after a car accident knocked me out of law school. Found support here when I was flooded out during Sandy. Moved back Upstate NY. Three kids at 43 (6/5/3), the end is nowhere in sight. Some of the most riveting stories I ever found were right here.

ETA: I've played one game of Diplomacy in my life, right here where I scored a victory as Turkey with a major assist from Bostonfred's Russia.
Split the difference. I live outside of Rochester and work in the great hinterlands of Wayne County.
East side, West side or City of?

My mom grew up in Pittsford right off East Ave behind the golf course at Fisher. We used to sneak on as kids and play 3 or 4 holes. Good way to get kids to want to visit Grandpa and Grandma, lol.

Hills

Hello all: original member #47 or something.

Well, went through all the phases of this place including some of the offshoots back in the "chatroom" era.

Now, well the Costco empire has expanded to three locations here in Miami. Kids are in their 20's with one in the bay area working and the other finishing his masters at *cough* FSU *cough* and moving to Pleasantville NY in June.

Wife, dog, same house and traveling a bit more after the covid nightmare.

Nice seeing some of my ifriends on this thread.

Hills
You still slum around here?

Spencerport kid here

I spend a lot more time lurking than posting but I truly value this community.
Lots of laughs reading about evilgrin tales of depravity, eat offs, IronSheik, camping trips gone wrong and much more. I have also gained a lot of knowledge and shed plenty of tears for the tragedies this community has suffered.

I was under the false impression life would get easier but at 55 I’ve learned that as soon as you conquer one mountain, new challenges await.
Between my parents who are pushing 90, a MIL who refuses to see a doctor for her worsening memory issues and my oldest who dropped out of college 16 credits short of graduation are the latest challenges to rob me of sleep.

The great thing is I can come hear and read about people who have navigated similar problems and gain the knowledge to make the best out of each situation.
The board has certainly changed but there are plenty of OG’s to keep me around
Stay golden.

Can we get a TLDR version of whatever all the longtime members are up to? Who's alive/who isn't? What's happening?

TLDR Otis: In the past 20 years, I got married, had 3 girls, moved to the suburbs, went from law firm associate to partner to senior partner, and now I'm dealing with a way too expensive whole house renovation, car pooling for swim meets, trying to stay in shape, and trying to keep it all together, despite doing absolutely nothing exciting. If you've been here a while, you know my old threads were *different*. Whatcha got?
This makes me happy.

Uh, working in IT, 1 boy, girl on the way, boring, smoke much less, drink less, game less. :( but life is good

Spencerport kid here

I spend a lot more time lurking than posting but I truly value this community.
Lots of laughs reading about evilgrin tales of depravity, eat offs, IronSheik, camping trips gone wrong and much more. I have also gained a lot of knowledge and shed plenty of tears for the tragedies this community has suffered.

I was under the false impression life would get easier but at 55 I’ve learned that as soon as you conquer one mountain, new challenges await.
Between my parents who are pushing 90, a MIL who refuses to see a doctor for her worsening memory issues and my oldest who dropped out of college 16 credits short of graduation are the latest challenges to rob me of sleep.

The great thing is I can come hear and read about people who have navigated similar problems and gain the knowledge to make the best out of each situation.
The board has certainly changed but there are plenty of OG’s to keep me around
Stay golden.
I dropped out THREE credits short. They still call me from URI to take that psychology class and finish. It's not cheap! Give him some breathing space. Sometimes we just need a break for a bit.

Can we get a TLDR version of whatever all the longtime members are up to? Who's alive/who isn't? What's happening?

TLDR Otis: In the past 20 years, I got married, had 3 girls, moved to the suburbs, went from law firm associate to partner to senior partner, and now I'm dealing with a way too expensive whole house renovation, car pooling for swim meets, trying to stay in shape, and trying to keep it all together, despite doing absolutely nothing exciting. If you've been here a while, you know my old threads were *different*. Whatcha got?
This makes me happy.

Uh, working in IT, 1 boy, girl on the way, boring, smoke much less, drink less, game less. :( but life is good

Still got the Stang!?

Hills
You still slum around here?
:oldunsure:

One day we'll grab a whisky and a game of chess...

Just make sure that you pronounce the word as “Press-kit” and not “Press-CAWT” or you’ll get laughed out of town.
Thanks for the info. Doing a day trip from Scottsdale in two weeks and I don't want to sound like a tourist.
If this is truly a couple of weeks from now I may be in jury trial in the downtown courthouse. I'll reach out.

This makes me happy.

Still got the Stang!?
I wish I ever had one!

Professional lurker here.

I've been on the site since Cheatsheets.net and once I wandered into the FFA, I never stopped. Think I've only posted like 150 times but have learned so much about life through the stories, knowledge, and experiences shared here.

Thanks for the laughter and tears, this has been an amazing, singular place.

I found Cheatsheets.net and used it to come in 2nd in my work league for like 7 straight years (first player ever drafted: Ricky Watters), joined the boards soon after. I wasn't on the FFA until after Old Yeller died, you people were weird and scary. Why would someone go to a FF site and talk about something other than FF?

48 years old, still married, we still like each other. 3 kids, 2 of them have T1 diabetes, oldest is heading to law school, youngest a sophomore in high school. I put on weight, stopped playing soccer, started mountain biking a lot... things are moving along, we'll see what life looks like in a few years when the kids are all gone. No real health problems, just some broken bones here and there.

I once mailed a VHS tape of the Lost pilot to Capella.
Thurman Thomas here...
Me too. :highfive:

If this is truly a couple of weeks from now I may be in jury trial in the downtown courthouse. I'll reach out.
I remember when Woz was picking out a law school and was asking advice on here.

Awesome! Let me know!

I remember being here the day after my kid was born and telling people I was a dad. He’s 25 now

I always kept the underscore in my username as a throwback to the days before old yeller when the board couldn’t handle a space in a name

Have met some Baltimore folks IRL, learned that @Uruk-Hai and I have intertwined family connections from a tiny town on the western shore of the Chesapeake

Never posted a ton, spend most of my social media time on Twitter now but still like to check in from time to time, like visiting the old neighborhood

Great thread, Otis. I still check in to read a bit, but my “regular” posting—let’s call it lurker+, I didn’t post a whole lot—stopped with the shutting down of the PSF. Right move by Joe, but I’ve been here for interesting political talk from the start, so I just lurk now.

I was here when it was Cheatsheets.net one day, then Footballguys the next. I closed the browser, opened it again, retyped the old URL, but it kept going to this new page. Who dis? I decided to stay, and I’m glad I did. I was a 4 digiter, but not by much, and I’ve come to grips with that. I have a kid in college, 2 old dogs that always follow me into the kitchen, I’ll have been married 25 years in June, and I’m working hard on my next writing project. This community has always surprised and delighted me with its support and generosity. I’ll be around.

Off and on since '98ish(?) Had a pretty low member number in the infancy of the FFA.

44 now
married
3 kids
found out I went to the same high school as Shuke
drafted on a boat in Cincinnati with WampusCat, Shuke, PatriotJohn, Cheese and several other tri-state legends (there was an awesome picture of that collection of man meat at some point around here...)
started out as a surveyor, now I'm in supervision for the Water/Sewer Department here in Dayton

Not Cheatsheets era, but found this place via getting bhanned from Rotojunkie not long after that time.

Slow to post as i'm not really here much anymore. Mid 40's. Still in Memphis with the Half Korean GF (Just celebrated 20 years in Iceland last month). We're still DINKs... no pets, some plants. Both work from home without killing each other, somehow. Travel and remote work has become a big thing for us, as you guys have seen (threads on Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Iceland, etc). Still been lucky on health but If I don't get my *** into better shape I imagine that will run out soon enough ;)

Trying to spend more time with the folks down in Tampa area (early 70s) because while they're incredible active/spry for their age, time is running short. Also prepping for this year's Memphis in May BBQfest. May be the last year for that. Sadly skyrocketing costs and increasing ineptitude by individuals/companies providing support has made it more of a chore than in the past.

Still love these forums but Reddit has overtaken as my primary time-sink / forum-style interaction source.

Users who are viewing this thread