What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Option A or Option B for Vacation (3 Viewers)

Which one

• Option A

Votes: 60 50.8%
  • Option B

Votes: 58 49.2%

• Total voters
Might as well edit the OP:

I like option B better for reasons beyond money. More vacation, like an extra full day of vacation, basically get to sleep through the travel part. I don’t understand hell :shrug:  My kids will absolutely sleep for 3-4 hours on the plane, then sleep at the hotel in the morning, and when we wake up at 8 or 9am, we’re ready for our vacation.

I’m struggling to figure out what I’m missing. 

Depends on where you are going.  Some of the less developed islands don't handle off hours arrivals very well.  But I would assume just by virtue of it being offered that this one is well developed enough to be OK with it.

You aren't getting to the resort until 1 AM or your flight lands at 1 AM?  Either way, by the time you check in and get situated into the temporary room its the middle of the night.  Your family is going to sleep through most of those "extra" hours you think you are gaining in the morning.  Will you need to check out of the temporary room by 10 or 11 AM and then have to stash your stuff somewhere until the 3 PM room is available?  Sounds like more hassle than I want on my first day of vacation.  

You aren't getting to the resort until 1 AM or your flight lands at 1 AM?  Either way, by the time you check in and get situated into the temporary room its the middle of the night.  Your family is going to sleep through most of those "extra" hours you think you are gaining in the morning.  Will you need to check out of the temporary room by 10 or 11 AM and then have to stash your stuff somewhere until the 3 PM room is available?  Sounds like more hassle than I want on my first day of vacation.  
Pay extra for late checkout

I can’t sleep on a plane, and switching rooms after a sleep-deprived night may be a PITA. So much of the $750 “savings” is lost in the transition day. Is the room really a big difference? If not, I would favor B over A, and not change rooms. Otherwise, A all the way.

arriving at 1am .... not really a full nights sleep. Then baggage, transportation to the hotel, ... you're not getting to the room until 3am.

Sure, sleep til noon, but you didn't really gain anything vacation wise and sounds like a real PITA with the boys.

I'd pay the $750 and sleep in my own bed one more night.

Option B all the way. Think how happy/ satisfied you're gonna be on the first day on the beach knowing you saved $750 bucks. And you can spend a bit more freely rest of vaca knowing you earned that 'free' money. I look at the challenges of the travel day as kind of fun in an odd way but maybe that's just me.  Of course $750 has different meaning to different people so have to factor that in as well.

The answer is a function of what % the $750 is of the overall vacation spend.  If less than 15%, option A.

Vacations are like home renovations - convenience, quality, and price - pick 2.

Booked, Option B. 
Congrats.

Where are you going?

The only comments and/or criticism above I agree with revolve around potential issues with the late check in (people complaining about a red eye didn't read your posts) and if hotels set up for it... And the chance your kids don't sleep (although you sound convinced they will) on the plane or new space/hotel room. and they end up needing a day or three to get back on schedule and are cranky and PITA in the mean time. The first can be anticipated communicating with the hotel prior and after landing. 

When you pack, pack a small bag (or bag within a bigger bag) for everybody for just that day you arrive. No need to unpack anything else, makes the "huge" headache of moving rooms easier. People with this complaint must stay at different hotels than I have where it's always been easy and seamless when I've had to do this kind of thing. Not like they're kicking you out... You just might have a an hour or so around lunch time without a room...time you'll be at the pool/beach or eating lunch anyways.

I like option B better for reasons beyond money. More vacation, like an extra full day of vacation, basically get to sleep through the travel part. I don’t understand hell :shrug:  My kids will absolutely sleep for 3-4 hours on the plane, then sleep at the hotel in the morning, and when we wake up at 8 or 9am, we’re ready for our vacation.

It’s been laid out for you several times so not sure how you’re missing it. It’s the potential of any of those absolutes not happening as you expect and things going to hell as a result.

I can tell you with no exaggeration that I wouldn’t take a free trip if it meant needing to get my kid on that flight, because it would be a complete disaster for her and therefore for us. Low chance she would just crash as soon as we got to the hotel too. And all that would extend into the first couple days of the trip and it’s not worth it. 

Hard pass from me but everyone’s situation is different. Hope it works out for you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s been laid out for you several times so not sure how you’re missing it. It’s the potential of any of those absolutes not happening as you expect and things going to hell as a result.

I can tell you with no exaggeration that I wouldn’t take a free trip if it meant needing to get my kid on that flight, because it would be a complete disaster for her and therefore for us. And that would extend into the first couple days of the trip and it’s not worth it. 

Hard pass from me but everyone’s situation is different. Hope it works out for you. 
:shrug:

He's said repeatedly that his kids will sleep...I see and commented on the potential issue, but he seems to have some first hand knowledge and anticipation of how they'll do. Mine are similar, so I'd take option B as well. 

I’m not reading two pages of this so sorry if it’s been mentioned, but you choose the option your wife wants. Otherwise when even the littlest thing goes awry (and it will) you’ll have to deal with her crowing incessantly.

Option B all the way. Think how happy/ satisfied you're gonna be on the first day on the beach knowing you saved $750 bucks.
And from the perspective of others, if I’m watching my kid melting down on the plane at midnight cause she hasn’t slept, or is a disaster on our first day of vacation, there’s no amount of money under five figures that will make me happy with my decision and make it worth it. 

:shrug:

He's said repeatedly that his kids will sleep...I see and commented on the potential issue, but he seems to have some first hand knowledge and anticipation of how they'll do. Mine are similar, so I'd take option B as well. 
He asked what he’s missing. It’s that there’s an actual reason that flight is cheaper: by and large, people don’t want to take it. Great that he can guarantee to take advantage of the market. 

You get to the airport, see that your flight is delayed a half hour.  You get to the gate, and now it's an hour.  45 minutes pass and you get the dreaded announcement from the gate crew that the flight has to be cancelled because it's been delayed beyond the legal limit for the pilots.  Small chance, but it happens with late flights like that.  

Option A is way less stressful.  I'd still take B though.  
We've been through it all when it comes to travelling (delays, more delays, eventual cancellations, rescheduled flights, unexpected overnights in airports/hotels) so not much would phase me. My kids have also always been great travelers since they were toddlers, so no worries there. I can see how others would prefer the "safe choice", but this is a no-brainer for me. I'd be a full day into vacation-mode and $750 richer by the time some of you showed up and got settled in.

When you pack, pack a small bag (or bag within a bigger bag) for everybody for just that day you arrive. No need to unpack anything else, makes the "huge" headache of moving rooms easier. People with this complaint must stay at different hotels than I have where it's always been easy and seamless when I've had to do this kind of thing. 
Solid advice here.  

You know your kids better than we do. If you think they'll sleep and be able to fully function that first day that's awesome.

I will place this little guy here though: :blackdot:  

Audible has been called, mainly by the wife (good thing for the 24 hour Expedia policy)...

She wants me to adjust the flight from the overnight to the 5am. She heard my arguments of why not, but ruled against. For the overnight flight, I’ll be able to get my kids back to sleep easily, 5am I think they’ll be too wired. We’ll be 3 across and the aisle across from those 3, she said she’ll sit in the 3. This option is basically in the middle of the two others in terms of cost, but all decisions I’m making are based much more on maximizing vacation.

I’ve never understood the crowds that fly in at night or late in the afternoon, you’re essentially giving away a day of vacation. Vice versa for the departure, give me an evening flight for that so I get one last day of vacation. If you fly in at night and leave in the morning, I’ve basically gotten an extra two days of vacation than you, while allocating the same days. 

Also, for those talking about the hassles this would cause, a simple schmooze and tip for the front desk manager and bellboy and I guarantee those hassles don’t exist. 

Meanwhile, the younger one wakes us up at 630 today, he was wearing his swim vest and asking if we were ready to leave :lmao:

Hallway closet was a disaster, but I gave him a pass on this one. 

Not for me. Dealing with re-packing and then an 11AM checkout from the first hotel. Catching a cab/rental car and heading to the next hotel. Hoping for an early check-in or waiting until 3pm check-in? Forget that noise. 
It's only going to be a few hours until the room switch - why even unpack?

I can’t sleep on a plane, and switching rooms after a sleep-deprived night may be a PITA. So much of the $750 “savings” is lost in the transition day. Is the room really a big difference? If not, I would favor B over A, and not change rooms. Otherwise, A all the way.
What do people think switching rooms involves? The staff will come and take your bags to another room and you'll just go to your new room.

Audible has been called, mainly by the wife (good thing for the 24 hour Expedia policy)...

She wants me to adjust the flight from the overnight to the 5am. She heard my arguments of why not, but ruled against. For the overnight flight, I’ll be able to get my kids back to sleep easily, 5am I think they’ll be too wired. We’ll be 3 across and the aisle across from those 3, she said she’ll sit in the 3. This option is basically in the middle of the two others in terms of cost, but all decisions I’m making are based much more on maximizing vacation.

I’ve never understood the crowds that fly in at night or late in the afternoon, you’re essentially giving away a day of vacation. Vice versa for the departure, give me an evening flight for that so I get one last day of vacation. If you fly in at night and leave in the morning, I’ve basically gotten an extra two days of vacation than you, while allocating the same days. 

Also, for those talking about the hassles this would cause, a simple schmooze and tip for the front desk manager and bellboy and I guarantee those hassles don’t exist. 
What time do you need to get up to make a 5:00am international flight from your house? 

To me, this all comes down to would you rather stay up a bit later (the night before) or would you rather get up obscenely early (the day of). All things being equal, I'd rather stay up later the night before.

We did this for a baseball tournament one year in Florida.  The hotel moved our belongings from one room to the other so that we wouldn't be inconvenienced.  That relieved some stress on my wife/family.  I would opt for Option B every time.  The kids will sleep on the plane and be fine with just travelling anyways.

Not for me. Dealing with re-packing and then an 11AM checkout from the first hotel. Catching a cab/rental car and heading to the next hotel. Hoping for an early check-in or waiting until 3pm check-in? Forget that noise. 
If you decide to stay with Option B (my choice) pack a small bag for that first night, and leave everything else packed until you get into your 'permanent' room. We do this all the time when we do overnight drives. That way we just have to take a small bag into the hotel. Also this way repacking in the morning will be easy, and if the hotel can move and store your stuff, you are set.

What time do you need to get up to make a 5:00am international flight from your house? 

To me, this all comes down to would you rather stay up a bit later (the night before) or would you rather get up obscenely early (the day of). All things being equal, I'd rather stay up later the night before.
Me too. 5am international departure? Airport at 3am? With kids? No gracias.

This seems like a worse option for my family, who would arrive at the hotel and want to crash...losing the time saved by making this switch. 

The switching rooms thing is a non-factor. You're not going to "unpack" for your 10 hour or whatever it is stay in the first room.. Whenever you get up the next morning, while you're out for breakfast or down at the pool, you'll be magically relocated. You take the elevator to a different room when you go back. Zero hassle on that front.

With the $750 you save you can go on some kind of cool excursion with the family, swim with some dolphins or some ####, and have enough left ove to pay for a fair percentage of your booze for the trip. Or buy yourself a new set of irons. Easy choice - assuming your kids don't have dispositions where one night of weird sleep can f them up for a week.

Horrible turn of events for our hero here. I might’ve thought option B was terrible but it destroys this new option C. 

This is on you though. She never should have known about the existence of the 5am flight. That’s why all those filters exist when you do your searching. 

When given an option, women seem to always choose the worst one.  It's amazing. 
They’re soft

ETA about some things. I know someone’s gonna make a comment that I’ve never given birth or something 

RUSF18 said:
Horrible turn of events for our hero here. I might’ve thought option B was terrible but it destroys this new option C. 

This is on you though. She never should have known about the existence of the 5am flight. That’s why all those filters exist when you do your searching. 
Option C sounds horrible.   Even after years of vacations and travel for work, early flights suck.   I never sleep well since I’m worried about getting to the airport on time.   That first day of vacation is not going to be enjoyable.  

I agree 5am is no bueno, I liked option B the best. Here would be the B timeline:

Depart 8pm (kids sleep 3-4 hours). 

Airport 1am, to me this would be the hellish part of this, getting them up and off the plane, but once we're in a taxi to the hotel, everything is well again.

Hotel 2am latest, in room 230am the latest, everyone sleeping again by 3am. 

9am-10am, wife and I have gotten 6-7 hours each, kids are on 9-10 hours, we get out whole day. 

This plan is 💰and still somehow the cheapest. 

Collect your money from cstu and take option A. Party with your extra $250 at the hotel bar as soon as you get settled in 

So first 2 options were either travel day of and be fully on vacation by 3pm or travel night before, stay in holding room overnight, and switch to main room during day but be on vacation earlier and spending $750 less.  Now option 3 enters discussion and it’s get up stupid early, arrive to destination too early to check-in to main room and probably too late to waste money on holding room, and only save $300ish?

No, there’s either stay up a bit later than normal and save cash or get up and travel at a normal time and spend extra, there’s absolutely no chance I opt for getting up stupid early just to go get horribly aggravated traveling (as is gonna happen when getting up early) and starting my vacay off bad.

pecorino said:
I’m not reading two pages of this so sorry if it’s been mentioned, but you choose the option your wife wants. Otherwise when even the littlest thing goes awry (and it will) you’ll have to deal with her crowing incessantly.
Is everyone else’s spouse this petty?

My whole goal here is maximizing vacation time, option A basically loses 5-6 hours of beach/pool time on Day 1. 
Your goal should be to use logic and common sense and plan it out yourself, then explain to the wife that is the only option available.

Now it's all screwed up for you

:lmao:  

I liked B, seems like an even split here between A & B amongst everyone... Feels like my wife likes the worst option and we all hate it. 

I honestly don't want to go back to my wife and tell her some magic football buddies think her idea is horrible. I was happy with B until the 630am ambush where I obliged her request without much thought. 

:lmao:  

I liked B, seems like an even split here between A & B amongst everyone... Feels like my wife likes the worst option and we all hate it. 

I honestly don't want to go back to my wife and tell her some magic football buddies think her idea is horrible. I was happy with B until the 630am ambush where I obliged her request without much thought. 
Just explain needing to be at the airport at 3am and what that will do to the kids (and you both).

This one seems easy. A vs B is more about how well you know your kids. Mine would be fine doing B, which makes the full first day vs half day and extra 750 clams an easy choice. C would ruin that first half day, and then probably compromise our first couple days as well.

Dr. Octopus said:
What do people think switching rooms involves? The staff will come and take your bags to another room and you'll just go to your new room.
For me, it would likely entail interrupting sleep, as I can’t sleep on planes and suspect it would be 3am or later before bedtime early that morning. And a personal quirk wouldn’t allow me to involve the staff in moving baggage.  As most hotel rooms are interchangeable, it seems like an unnecessary hassle. 

If only 2 adults I'd say Option B maybe but with two young children, no way.   You can afford to travel somewhere nice with your family you can afford the extra $750. Your kids will likely be "off" the first day if you arrive at 1am and even something like changing rooms will be a pain. 

Haven't read all the replies but initially surprised at how many votes for Option B. 

Need an option C.  Have Chet pick you up in one of his planes and fly you in whatever time is convenient for your family.

Just spoke to the wife, I'm usually prepared for her, but she made some quality points... 

Over the past summer she wanted to take a road trip to her friend's house in North Carolina (I didn't go). She left the house at 3:30am, the kids were both sleeping within an hour into the ride. She said everything was $$$ when they arrived around 12pm. 

In December she took a ride to Boston with her mom and the two kids, they left at 5am and made it there by 830am, again no issues. 

IDK, I'll be fine no matter what, she vouches the kids can handle it. I'm selective on which battles are important, not sure if this warrants a battle. If anything goes wrong, this one would be on her (not like it would matter, but still).

I'd rather A than C, she is all of the sudden against B, so I'll take one stab at A, then 5am flight here we come.

This thread has been entertaining, thanks everyone!

fantasycurse42 said:

Only you know your family best.  For me, if my kids (3 and 5 years old) get 3-4 hours sleep on a plane (would probably be more like 2 hours by the time the plane novelty wears off enough for them to sleep) they are done sleeping for the night.  Not gonna fall asleep back at the hotel.  So now they're tired whiney #####es for those extra hours we got.  My wife can't sleep on a plane so my options are to either let her sleep while I try and take care of two whiney kids at the pool by myself (while on only 2 hours of sleep myself) or keep the wife up on 0 sleep to help and deal with two whiney kids with the help of an exhausted wife who has no sleep and blames me for booking the travel plans she opposed.

Now 3pm rolls around and the kids are freaking exhausted and they need a nap, which they usually don't take anymore.  Bed time rolls around later that night and they're both bouncing off the walls because they got a nap earlier.  It takes them forever to fall asleep, they sleep really late the next morning, and eventually day 3 rolls around and we're still dealing with trying to get them back on their normal sleep schedule and we've had 2.5 days of tired short tempered kids and haven't really enjoyed that entire time like we'd imagined, much less the few extra hours we got by getting in earlier.

When I am looking at traveling during off hours with kids I'm always looking at the worst case scenario, and deciding if that end of things are worth the extra money.  Because with young kids inevitably it's going to be the worst case scenario much of the time.

Just spoke to the wife, I'm usually prepared for her, but she made some quality points... 

Over the past summer she wanted to take a road trip to her friend's house in North Carolina (I didn't go). She left the house at 3:30am, the kids were both sleeping within an hour into the ride. She said everything was $$$ when they arrived around 12pm. 

In December she took a ride to Boston with her mom and the two kids, they left at 5am and made it there by 830am, again no issues. 

IDK, I'll be fine no matter what, she vouches the kids can handle it. I'm selective on which battles are important, not sure if this warrants a battle. If anything goes wrong, this one would be on her (not like it would matter, but still).

I'd rather A than C, she is all of the sudden against B, so I'll take one stab at A, then 5am flight here we come.

Car and airport.....not the same

You never answered my question about what time you will have to wake up to make a 5am international flight from your house. Your wife mentioned waking up at 5am as an example and I agree completely, if you were waking up for this trip at 5am, Id agree with her. She also mentioned waking up at 3:30am for a trip. This is probably about as far as I would go and sill consider it a good idea. Im guessing you're going to have to get up much earlier than either of these examples.

For me, driving the whole trip is a different beast than: driving to the airport, going through security, waiting at the gate, getting on the plane and then sleeping. Lots of movement for the kids without that chance to really plunk it down until the plane. 

Car and airport.....not the same
:goodposting:  Pulling the kids out of bed to go to the car where they already feel comfortable and it will be dark for the beginning couple hours is a huge difference than getting in the car, parking, going thru security (all in bright light) and planes aren't always the quietest, darkest places either.

Users who are viewing this thread