What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

P90X - Anyone try this? (1 Viewer)

The protein bars and shakes are a waste of money for those doing this program. If you need to lose weight, then you don't need the bars and shakes. If your thin and looking to pack on muscle then P90X isn't what you want, look into strength building programs like High Intensity Training (HIT) and those used by powerlifters. With the thin body you won't need bars and shakes till you have put on a lot of muscle. P90x is predominately a cardio program.
If you think it is a predominantly cardio program, can I assume you haven't done it? The entire program is based on resistance training... pushups, pullups, squats/lunges, and situps. I'm not saying it doesn't involve cardio... but it is certainly not the focal point.The bars and shakes are the ONLY way I could do the program. Even with them it was still a challenge everyday to eat the amounts they require.

ETA - their diet is easily worthy 50% of the credit for the program's results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a little over 2 months since I started. Was 240 lbs, 23% body fat. Now 220 lbs, 19% body fat. (I'm 6'6")

I have lost inches, gained muscle, toned up, gotten a lot stronger, and feel absolutely fantastic. 2 more weeks until the program is over (it's a 12 week deal), then I start over.

I didn't even look at the diet portion of p90x, just did the workouts and tried to eat well (lots of protein, especially first few weeks).

I think it is very cardio based. Yes, you are doing pushups and other lifts, but when you do 30-40 pushups and then go directly to doing pullups, your heart rate is sky high. It's kind of like HIIT in that your heart rate gets way up during your set, comes down, and then you push it up again. If you are doing the program quickly, you will be out of breath. A lot. My pulse after a hard set is up around 170-180. According to my heart rate monitor I burn almost 1000 carlories in a workout. That's what makes it work - it's muscle and strength development along with cardio - the fat falls off and you gain muscle.

The protein bars and shakes are a waste of money for those doing this program. If you need to lose weight, then you don't need the bars and shakes. If your thin and looking to pack on muscle then P90X isn't what you want, look into strength building programs like High Intensity Training (HIT) and those used by powerlifters. With the thin body you won't need bars and shakes till you have put on a lot of muscle. P90x is predominately a cardio program.
If you think it is a predominantly cardio program, can I assume you haven't done it? The entire program is based on resistance training... pushups, pullups, squats/lunges, and situps. I'm not saying it doesn't involve cardio... but it is certainly not the focal point.The bars and shakes are the ONLY way I could do the program. Even with them it was still a challenge everyday to eat the amounts they require.

ETA - their diet is easily worthy 50% of the credit for the program's results.
Agreed. I'm going to start this again labor day minus the diet.

I am going to be starting this in a week when I move. I have ordered a pullup bar, some yoga blocks, a mat, and dumbells. Anything else I need to know?

I am going to be starting this in a week when I move. I have ordered a pullup bar, some yoga blocks, a mat, and dumbells. Anything else I need to know?
That should just about cover itKey is to go at your own pace.

See, I'm a little different. I will too easily find an excuse to cut out workouts or lighten my load if given the opportunity. I really look forward to have my schedule laid out for me.

See, I'm a little different. I will too easily find an excuse to cut out workouts or lighten my load if given the opportunity. I really look forward to have my schedule laid out for me.
Give yourself at least an hour a day to follow the program.But you will need to pace yourself.

I started this thing a little over two weeks ago. Definitely some physical changes already, but more noticeable so far are the increases in strength and muscle endurance. The size differences will come as I add more weight over the weeks, but the routine works every part of your body. Sure, it's cardio based, but it's not meant to be an extreme muscle-building routine. It's a routine that will get you into perhaps the best shape you've ever been in.

No way I have the time to follow the diet plan, but I'm making a conscious effort to eat better. Not sure how drastic a difference there would be if I was sticking strictly to that diet.

After the first few days, I started using a vanilla flavored whey recovery drink and a good multi-vitamin and I haven't been nearly as fatigued since.

If you're just starting, DEFINITELY pace yourself at the beginning or you might be too sore the next day to get the most of that workout. Do what they say to do, but go at your own pace and don't burn yourself out too quickly. The results will come, and it won't take long.

Up to ten 'handclap' pullups at a time. Thanks P90X!
I still can't do more than 16 pullups at once... but I can do endless sets of 10. I don't know why this is.Did 6 sets of 10 at the gym the other day as part of my workout, but on any single set I will without fail crash at 15 and struggle to get the 16th.

I still can't do more than 16 pullups at once... but I can do endless sets of 10. I don't know why this is.Did 6 sets of 10 at the gym the other day as part of my workout, but on any single set I will without fail crash at 15 and struggle to get the 16th.
I can barely bust out 5. First day killed me. Didn't pace myself (he said max reps lol) and couldn't do most of the second set. Plyo was a bit easier. Shoulder and Arms seemed easy compared to those two. Get to do yoga today I think. So far I like this a lot.

belljr said:
The Third said:
Wrigley said:
Hand clap pullups?
:sarcasm: Seriously?
impressive to say the least.
Thanks.The thing is, I could only do about four regular-pullups four or five months ago_Once you start getting a sufficiant amount of pullups (say 10-12), I think it's a good idea to use a weighted-belt to increase your body weight. (I let a 35 lb plate hang from a chain attached to my weight belt-buckle). It really builds the strength. Then, when you don't have the added weight, pullups seem easy. Even handclap ones.

Just finished day one, and while now I feel good about doing it and happy I finished it all, I wasnt in love with it when doing it. I think I definitely drank too much water as I was taking more breaks than the instructors were, and it showed, well, showed up in the sink along with some of breakfast.

Anyways Ill surely be goin in again tomorrow, hopefully with a bit less nausea at a couple points. My only thing is now, since Im going to be doing the workouts after breakfast and will still have the general lunch, dinner and 2 snack eating times, it just seems like a lot. I know on this program you need plenty of fuel, and I know what I eat tonight will help with tomorrows workout, but since Im not going to be working out anymore today just seems like a lot for me to eat then go to bed. Did some find that the portion plan was more of a max amount of things you should eat, or do I pretty much need to do my best to get the 7 proteins, 1 carb etc that it recommends I get (Im sure its the latter but like I said just seems like a lot).

One thing I found that actually worked out really well is that I hooked up my daughter's portable DVD player to the TV and used that as the output. I end up just setting it on the ground and it gives me a good view when I'm standing and when I'm on the ground doing push-ups or whatever (both screens show at once). It just makes it all easier to follow, especially when you're tired.

There are also some "places" out there that have P90, P90M, P90X, P90X+, and all of the materials in pdf or Excel grouped together. It's kind of nice to be able to bounce around a lot for variety.

Hand clap pullups?
:) Seriously?
impressive to say the least.
Agreed. I thought it was a typo if for no other reason than I don't remember handclap pullups in any of the P90X workouts. Talk about an overachiever. ;)
I'd post a video, but I haven't progressed enough to do handclap pullups while holding a camcorder.

Hey guys! Just found this thread because my roommate and I started this yesterday! We havent started the diet portion yet, but we plan on ordering peapod (a home delievery grocer) tommorow, and then on saturday when it arrives, throwing out whatever food we havent eaten that we already had (shouldnt be much). We are going to try to follow this as closely as possible.

A few questions. I like to run during lunch 3 times a week or so, should I still be doing this while doing the workout? Also, I am 6'3 235ish, so obviously overweight some, and it is mostly in my stomach area...anything specific i should do or anything? I took pictures a few days ago, and plan on taking them every week or so. I hope to see the results some of you have!

Hey guys! Just found this thread because my roommate and I started this yesterday! We havent started the diet portion yet, but we plan on ordering peapod (a home delievery grocer) tommorow, and then on saturday when it arrives, throwing out whatever food we havent eaten that we already had (shouldnt be much). We are going to try to follow this as closely as possible.A few questions. I like to run during lunch 3 times a week or so, should I still be doing this while doing the workout? Also, I am 6'3 235ish, so obviously overweight some, and it is mostly in my stomach area...anything specific i should do or anything? I took pictures a few days ago, and plan on taking them every week or so. I hope to see the results some of you have!
WelcomePlyo is an ### kicker, you may not feel like doing a whole lot of running Stick with it........it's tough, but you will see/feel the results.

Very interested in this program based on the postings here.

Where is the best place to order the program pricewise? I know FBGs aren't paying full price for anything. :hot:

Thanks.

I don't want to start a pull-up war with any of the Crossfitters, but P90X pull-ups aren't "kipping" pull-ups. I know kippings serve a purpose and many will say they are as effective, but the momentum makes them easier to perform than dead-hang pull-ups.In any event, impressive either way.

When you say downloading, I guess it's just dvds you get when you buy the set?
Torrent Link
11 files in torrent:

01. Ab Ripper X.avi [207MB]

02. BACK_BICEPS-01.mpg [707MB]

03. CHEST_BACK.mpg [728MB]

04. CHEST_SHOULDERS-01.mpg [759MB]

05. CORE_SYNERGISTICS-01.mpg [604MB]

06. KENPO_X-01.mpg [622MB]

07. LEGS_AND_BACK-01.mpg [787MB]

08. PLYOMETRICS-01.mpg [624MB]

09. SHOULDERS_ARMS.mpg [609MB]

10. X_STRETCH-01.mpg [605MB]

11. YOGA_X-01.mpg [948MB]
Link to the official site
I would never download this because it is illegal and wrong. However, let's say a friend downloaded it and is only getting audio (no picture) when playing the Ab Ripper X.avi file in Windows Media Player. Did anyone else have that problem? How can it be fixed?

Which pull up bar is everyone using? Also, do I really need yoga blocks and a mat?

Which pull up bar is everyone using? Also, do I really need yoga blocks and a mat?
I just had one that fit in the doorway. It was a little narrow for the wide grip pull-ups since the bar didn't extend much past the width of the doorway.I did not have blocks. They would probably help in the beginning of yoga if your balance isn't great, but after a few times through, I don't think you'd need them. I didn't have a mat, but I was working on hardwood floors. I needed a pad for ab ripper x, but that was it. It depends on the surface you'll be working on I guess.

Torrent Link
11 files in torrent:

I would never download this because it is illegal and wrong. However, let's say a friend downloaded it and is only getting audio (no picture) when playing the Ab Ripper X.avi file in Windows Media Player. Did anyone else have that problem? How can it be fixed?
Anyone?

Anyone use creatine while on this program? I am 5'10" 165, looking to bulk up rather than lose weight. I have really liked Cellmass and a protein shake while doing a normal weight training program. Want to try P90X as an overall fitness program.
I just completed week 5 out of 12, and I'm loving it. Since about the 3rd day, I've followed up each workout with two or three scoops of Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60, found at any GNC. It comes in chocolate and vanilla and can be mixed with either milk or water - both ways taste great. I typically mix it with 1% or skim milk. Each 3 scoop serving has 280 calories with only 10 of them come from fat... it's very healthy, an excellent recovery drink. Not sure how it compares to the P90X version.I also was taking a multi-vitamin at first, but I found that they upset my stomach so I've stopped that. When I was younger (I'm 32 now), I used to work out a lot but haven't done a whole lot for the past 4 years. I wanted to get back into shape, and five weeks in, I've gotten noticeable results so I can only imagine what it's going to be like after week 12. Added bulk AND definition. The results over the first 3 weeks were more with strength and endurance, but over the last 2 weeks there have been much bigger results in bulk and size. Sometimes it's harder for me to notice, but lots of other people have told me.For anyone who hasn't done it or hasn't started yet, it's a TON of cardio. Every other day you'll work your muscles to the point of exhaustion if you do things right, but even the "muscle" workouts have a strong element of cardio in them because you go immediately from one excercise to the next with a very short break between them. I push myself hard and I'm drenched with sweat after every workout, whether it's a cardio one or not, which didn't always happen when I was just litfting weights at the gym.It's one helluva program if you do it right.

Torrent Link
11 files in torrent:

Anyone?
you need to update your codecshttp://www.cccp-project.net/

Been a little over 2 months since I started. Was 240 lbs, 23% body fat. Now 220 lbs, 19% body fat. (I'm 6'6")
3 months in, I am now 215, 16% body fat. Fat keeps dropping off and definitely gaining muscle. :kicksrock: I have to say, though, I'm pretty bored with the workouts. I may look into the P90X ultra just for some different moves.

3 months in, I am now 215, 16% body fat. Fat keeps dropping off and definitely gaining muscle. :kicksrock: I have to say, though, I'm pretty bored with the workouts. I may look into the P90X ultra just for some different moves.
What are you using to measure body fat? This is something I did not do, but want to do when I get around to doing this again.

Anyone use creatine while on this program? I am 5'10" 165, looking to bulk up rather than lose weight. I have really liked Cellmass and a protein shake while doing a normal weight training program. Want to try P90X as an overall fitness program.
I just completed week 5 out of 12, and I'm loving it. Since about the 3rd day, I've followed up each workout with two or three scoops of Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60, found at any GNC. It comes in chocolate and vanilla and can be mixed with either milk or water - both ways taste great. I typically mix it with 1% or skim milk. Each 3 scoop serving has 280 calories with only 10 of them come from fat... it's very healthy, an excellent recovery drink. Not sure how it compares to the P90X version.I also was taking a multi-vitamin at first, but I found that they upset my stomach so I've stopped that. When I was younger (I'm 32 now), I used to work out a lot but haven't done a whole lot for the past 4 years. I wanted to get back into shape, and five weeks in, I've gotten noticeable results so I can only imagine what it's going to be like after week 12. Added bulk AND definition. The results over the first 3 weeks were more with strength and endurance, but over the last 2 weeks there have been much bigger results in bulk and size. Sometimes it's harder for me to notice, but lots of other people have told me.For anyone who hasn't done it or hasn't started yet, it's a TON of cardio. Every other day you'll work your muscles to the point of exhaustion if you do things right, but even the "muscle" workouts have a strong element of cardio in them because you go immediately from one excercise to the next with a very short break between them. I push myself hard and I'm drenched with sweat after every workout, whether it's a cardio one or not, which didn't always happen when I was just litfting weights at the gym.It's one helluva program if you do it right.
I see a lot of people recommending protein as a recovery drink - if I wanted to take creatine too, when should I take that? Also what are good brands? I just have CellMass from GNC.

I'm considering adding this to my routine in the winter. I torrented a few dvds to try out before I sink all the cash into the whole program.

I don't want to make a huge investment in equipment as I'd rather get stuff for my bike if I spend money on fitness.

I just want something to kill time during the winter when I can't get out and ride much at all and I think riding an indoor trainer does very little for my fitness level.

I have a few bands to use. Can that at least give me an idea if I like the program at all?

Is it one of those things that after watching the dvds a few times I could do it without watching it? I guess I'll know a lot more once I watch the ones I pulled down.

Mine is in the mail! I'm a 1 - 1 1/2 pack a day smoker, so hopefully this will help me quit smokeing aswell. I'll throw some pictures up as I progress through.

I'm about to give this a second try. I made it five weeks in last time before I got discouraged and dropped it. I think I probably consumed too many calories in an attempt to bulk up. After five week, none of my measurements had chanced and I only lost 3 pounds. I know I shouldn't have expected results so soon, but they did suggest taking measurements at that time, and the lack of results killed my motivation.

This time around I plan on going in with the primary goal of weigth loss. I'll be more restrictive of my caloric intake, and won't be as concerned with adding bulk as much as finding my abdominal muscles.

I see a lot of people recommending protein as a recovery drink - if I wanted to take creatine too, when should I take that? Also what are good brands? I just have CellMass from GNC.
there is creatine int he recovery drink

I started in late October and have lost 35-40 lbs (235 lbs to about 195 lbs). It isn't really designed for someone to lose weight with, but my objective was to get back in shape not just lose weight so it seemed like a good way to kill two birds with one stone. I do a workout 2-4 times/week and I loosely follow the higher protein version of the diet program. I basically just eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, nuts, healthy fats, and protein. I eat when I'm hungry except after 7:00pm or so. I cut out soda, but I have a few beers/glasses of wine a week. If we go out I try and find something healthy on the menu, if its someone's birthday I have a small piece of cake, etc. It has worked out surprisingly well so far. I found that if I beat myself up about slipping here or there I had a higher tendency to throw in the towel so I kind of allot for it. Just don't do it very often and be subtle about it. The only things I have really added outside of diet are Creatine and a multi-vitamin.

I actually do very little cardio outside of the weight training. I do the upper body workouts, abs, and legs. That's about it. If you stick to the pace on the video you pretty much get the cardio while working out. I have a basic weight set that I supplement the bands with so I don't actually use a pull-up bar. If you are significantly overweight I would stay away from the plyo stuff for awhile. It's hard on the joints to throw that much weight around, especially if you are already tired. I just started adding them in now that I feel my knees and ankles can handle it. Some people say I have an inherent advantage since I used to work out a lot for college athletics. I read a little bit about muscle memory, but it seems vague at best. I'm not convinved it really matters.

Anyway, I figured I would throw this out there for anyone that thought they might be too out of shape or overweight to use the program. If you take it slow and don't get discouraged you can do well. I've put on a decent amount of muscle as well so I have lost more fat than the 35-40 lbs would indicate.

I just finished the 3 months and am going to start again today. I dogged it after the first month after I hurt my back. Still lost 15 pounds while gaining some muscle.

Hopefully this time I can go full out the whole way through. At least now I can do a decent amount of pullups.

Suggestions very welcomed:

I am looking to get on something at the start of the new year. My situation is pretty standard, I am fat. I used to be close to 300 bills, went down to 205 when I started exercising on the elliptical 5 times a week and gave up regular soda. Of course I plateaued and even with religiously working out (45 minutes) 4 times a week, I gained 60 pounds back. I don't drink and I don't eat all that much junk food, so I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Anyway, just wondering if the p90 or the p90x is the better choice. Like others, I have never done a pullup in my life so take that into consideration.

All I am looking to do is lose weight really, if I get a little stronger cool.

Probably getting this for Xmas; for those of you who have it - would it be a problem if space is... somewhat limited? I'm also a bit concerned of any segments where i may have to jump; low ceilings here and I'm 6'5.

Probably getting this for Xmas; for those of you who have it - would it be a problem if space is... somewhat limited? I'm also a bit concerned of any segments where i may have to jump; low ceilings here and I'm 6'5.
Do you have enough space to do jumping jacks?

I saw that it was discussed a couple times in the 10 pages of the thread but now that you some of you guys have been using this for a while what equipment would you recommend for starting out?

I was thinking of just getting a set of bands to start to make sure I liked it before I invested too much $$$.

Would that work and where did you guys get yours? Any specific sets you could link me to?

TIA!

Lehigh98 said:
I saw that it was discussed a couple times in the 10 pages of the thread but now that you some of you guys have been using this for a while what equipment would you recommend for starting out?I was thinking of just getting a set of bands to start to make sure I liked it before I invested too much $$$.Would that work and where did you guys get yours? Any specific sets you could link me to?TIA!
dont waste $ ont he bands from P90's site, do a simple search for exercise bands, you can find all types of resistance ones.IMO the ones from P90 weren't giving me a good enough workout.

Users who are viewing this thread